one of the three original townships of Delaware County, rich and
fertile in its soil, substantial and progressive in its citizenship,
takes second rank to no farming community in this section of the
State. Peopled from its infancy, largely by men of the sturdy
Welsh race, the development and improvement of the land and the
establishment of schools and churches was accomplished with greater
rapidity than is recorded in the experience of most virgin
territories. Henry Perry, of Angelsey, South
Wales, accompanied by his young sons, Ebenezer and Levi,
was the first white settler, coming in the fall of 1803, hut it was
not until July of the following year that he became a property
owner. He purchased 100 acres of land fur $150 of David
Pugh, an extensive land owner, at whose solicitation he had
come west from Philadelphia to make settlement.
David Pugh, leaving his native country,
Radnorshire, South Wales, crossed the ocean in 1801, and took up his
residence in Baltimore, Maryland. The following year he went
to Philadelphia, where he met Dr. Samuel Jones,
who had a warrant for 4,000 acres of United States Military land, in
Township 6, Range 20, as designated by the United States Survey.
The result of the acquaintance was the employment of young Pugh
as an emissary to go west and learn something of the character and
value of the land owned by the doctor. Early in 1802 he left
Philadelphia and after an adventurous trip on horseback, lasting two
months, arrived at Franklinton, Franklin County, the settlement
nearest the land he sought. With an experienced backwoodsman
as guide, he made his way northward through an unbroken wilderness
to the land, located in the township to which he subsequently gave
the name of Radnor, in honor of his native country. The name
however is of English origin, the Welsh name of that country being "Maesyfed."
After a thorough examination, David Pugh returned to
Philadelphia and made a favorable report to Dr. Jones.
In the city of Philadelphia, Mar. 2, 1803, for a consideration of
$2,650, a transfer was made to David Pugh, of the
tract of 4,000 acres, excepting 50 acres given to David
Lodwig, and 50 acres donated as a "glebe" for a Baptist or a
Presbyterian minister who would locate in the proposed settlement.
Henry Perry, who had but recently arrived
in this country, was persuaded by Mr. Pugh to make
settlement in this wild country, which he and his two sons did in
the fall of 1803, as before mentioned, leaving his wife and two
small children in Baltimore. The journey was made on foot, and
after many trials and hardships they arrived on the Pugh
land. A small clearing was made, a cabin erected and the
following spring crops planted on land which they had cleared during
the winter. Leaving his young sons (Ebenezer being
fifteen and Levi thirteen years old at the time of their
arrival) in possession of the cabin, Henry Perry
returned to Baltimore for the remainder of his family, which in the
early summer he brought West, making the journey in a cart. In
1804, David Pugh returned and had his land surveyed
into 100 acre tracts, except 150 acres in the center, which were
laid out in town lots, the town to be known as New Baltimore.
Page 483 -
Others who came in 1804 and purchased of Mr. Pugh,
were Richard Tibbott, John Watkins,
John Jones, Hugh Kyle, and David Marks.
The year of 1805 witnessed the coming of the following families:
Evan Jenkins, David Davids, Richard
Hoskins, David Davies, and John Minter.
David Pugh went to his native land in 1806, and in
1807 returned with his sisters, Mary and Hannah, wives
of David Perry and John Philips,
respectively. The same year, came Mrs. Eleanor
Lodwig with her children. Thomas, John and
Letitia; and in 1808, Benjamin Kepler.
Elijah Adams. Thomas Warren, and John
Foos, came to Radnor with their families.
Radnor Township was created at the time the county was
organized, but remained as then constituted only until the meeting
of the first Commissioners Court, when on June 15, 1808, the
township of Marlborough was created out of Radnor territory.
Thompson and Troy were later segregated from Radnor and established
as separate townships, leaving the latter, in its dimensions, about
ten miles north and south and from three to five miles in width.
During the War of 1812, the settlers were kept in
turmoil, being in constant fear of attack from the Indians. A
block house was erected on the farm of Benjamin Kepler
as a retreat for the people, but when an attack became most
threatening, many fled to the fort near Franklinton. However,
the expected attack never materialized. After the war had
closed and peace and safety assured, there was a great influx of new
settlers, among them being Mrs. Wasson and her sons;
Joseph Dunlap; Samuel Cooper; Robert and
John McKinney; Obed Taylor; James
and Matthew Fleming; John Jones;
Walter Perry. Sr., with his sons, Walter,
William, Edward, and Roger; then Thomas
Jones and sons - John A. and Thomas; Ellis
Jones, David E. Jones, Edward Evans, John Owen,
Roger Watkins, Watkin Watkins, William
Watkins, John and Humphrey Humphreys,
Benjamin Herbert, Morgan D. Morgans, the pioneer
blacksmith of the settlement: J. R. Jones, a weaver by trade:
J. Jones, a mason; John Cadwalader, Rev.
David Calwalader, David Lloyd, John
Davies, a cooper; Mrs. Mary Chidlaw,
with her family; and Robert and Stephen Thomas.
Most of these were of Welsh birth. By the time the early
thirties were reached, practically all of the lands of the township
was owned by actual settlers, and it is a notable fact that few
farms of the township have ever been subjected to tax sales.
The first white child born in the county was David
Perry, Jr., followed closely by Mary Jones, afterward
Mrs. Warner, in 1807. The first death was that of
the mother of Hugh Kyle, but there is no record of the
date; she was buried in the old cemetery at Radnor. The first
marked grave in that cemetery was that of David Davids,
who died Sept. 10, 1810. Elijah Adams was the
first justice of the peace in Radnor, and Thomas Warren
conducted the first tavern, starting in 1811 in a two story log
The village of Delhi, which has been known as Radnor
since the advent of the Columbus & Toledo ( Hocking Valley)
Railroad, was laid out in August, 1833, for Edward Evans on
his farm, near what has been the town site of New Baltimore, before
Thomas Warren converted it into a farm. The first house
on the town site of Radnor was built in 1805 where the Welsh
Methodist Church now stands, and was occupied by Morgan
Morgan, the blacksmith. The first store was kept by
Obed Taylor. Thomas Taylor was the
first postmaster as well as the first tavern keeper. Delhi
Lodge No. 250, I. O. O. F., was installed there May 17, 1854, with
five charter members, and grew rapidly.
The time the first school was started or by whom it was
taught is not known, but it was during the early days of the
settlement. In 1821 there were three log school houses in the
township, one on the farm of John Philips in the southern part,
another on the farm of John Dildine. centrally located, and the
third near the old block house. There are at present eight school
districts, with substantial school buildings, and a competent corps
of instructors employed.
The first organized religious society in Radnor
Township, was the Baptist, which had its beginning May 4, 1816, in a
Page 484 -
house. Elder Drake was the first regular pastor,
preaching in both Welsh and English. They erected first a log
church near the burying ground, and regardless of denomination or
religious belief, the settlers assisted in the building, each
bringing a hewed log and assisting in the raising. In 1833,
near the site of the log church, a stone building was built, and in
1867 a fine edifice was constructed of brick, representing an outlay
The Methodist Episcopal Church had representation there
from the first, and in 1808 an itinerant minister preached the first
sermon in the township, in the house of Henry Perry.
Several years later a few of the families met regularly at the house
of Elijah Adams and services were held. It was
not until 1838 that a frame house of worship was built and the
congregation supplied with regular preaching. In 1855 a brick
meeting house was erected.
The Radnor Welsh Congregational Church had its
beginning about 1818, when meetings were held in the cabins of the
settlers, the language spoken being invariably Welsh. In 1820,
Rev. James Davies organized a church in the
home of John Jones, and thereafter was not without a
pastor for more than a brief period. In 1841 a frame church
building was erected and in 1842 was dedicated. In the middle
sixties a brick meeting house was erected at a cost of $3,000.
The Radnor Presbyterian Church dates its organization
back to 1819, when the Rev. Joseph Hughes of Delaware
accepted it as one of his charges. A hewed log meeting-house
was built in a sugar grove on the farm of Joseph Dunlap.
The erection of a stone church building was begun in 1840 but not
completed until 1849. In the interim, the log church was
abandoned and there was no pastor for several years. Through
the efforts of Rev. S. R. Hughes, the church resumed
its proper place in the world.
The Protestant Episcopal Church was organized in 1836
by Rev. Abram Edwards, and a house of worship was erected but
its existence was limited to a very few years.
The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1848, largely
through the untiring efforts of Rev. Henry Shedd and in 1854
a brick church building was constructed. It thrived and
prospered from its inception.
The Welsh Presbyterian Church was organized in 1850 by
the Welsh settlers who were of the Calvinistic Methodist faith
before leaving their native land. Their church creed being
almost identical with the Presbyterian in America, the church was
given the latter name. The first pastor was Rev. Hugh
Roberts, and the Welsh language has always been used in
preaching in that church. A church edifice was erected in
The Radnor Sunday School Union, the first Sunday school
in Radnor Township, was established Apr. 18, 1829, and continued
most actively for many years, but finally was disbanded because
Sunday Schools had been established in the respective Churches.
Primers, spellers and the Bible were the text books used and the
good accomplished by this organization in improving the minds of the
young, morally and educationally, can scarcely tie estimated or
imagined. Of the members of this union, six became ministers
of the Gospel.
The Radnor Township officials in 1908 were: James P.
Osborne, justice of the peace; Charles S. Gallant and
Edgar Jones, trustees; Charles E. Davis, clerk; Perry
J. Griffith, treasurer; Charles R. Watkins assessor;
M. Mays, constable.
The following are the business houses of Radnor: E.
I. Jones, general store; I. W. Holmes, general store;
Benjamin Pritchard, blacksmith; G. T. Wolfley, pastmaster;
Radnor Elevator Company, dealers in grain, hay, seed, hardware, farm
implements and coal; Perry J. Griffith, livery; W. T.
Roberts, hotel and livery; T. K. Jones, M. D.; H.
Edwards, M. D.; T. W. Disbennett, tile-mill and sawmill.
TABLE OF CONTENTS >