OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Darke County, Ohio

Biographical Index

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
< BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

JOHN A. WALLACE.  The present well-known and popular mayor of Union City, Ohio, was born in that place June 24, 1871, and is a son of James and Ellen Wallace, natives of county Kerry, Ireland, the former born November 10, 1834, the latter August 20, 1836. Both emigrated to America in 1857, with the hope of finding a home in the new world adapted to their mutual tastes. The father located in Sidney, Ohio, the mother in Toledo, and in 1863 the former came to Union City, where they were married April 9, 1864. Here Mr. Wallace worked as a section hand for four years and then embarked in another business, which he successfully carried on until five years ago, having secured a comfortable competence, which enabled him to lay aside business cares. He is now the owner of considerable farm and city property. His estimable wife died November 26, 1881. Of the eight children born to them one son, Patrick, died in February, 1897, and the others are still living, namely: James; Mary; John A., our subject; Margaret, a music teacher; Bridget, a seamstress; Thomas, a machinist; and Johanna.
     Mayor Wallace attended the public schools of Union City until eighteen years of age, and was then a student at St. Mary's Institute, Dayton, Ohio, for nine months. At the close of his school life he was employed as a salesman for the Peter Kuntz Lumber Company three years, and then commenced the study of law in the office of Williams & Bolen, with whom he remained six months and was with Bell & Ross one year. Since reaching man's estate he has taken quite an active and prominent part in public affairs and at the age of twenty-one was elected a member of the city council. A year later he resigned that position to become city solicitor and at the age of twenty-five was elected a justice of the peace, which office he filled for three years. In the spring of 1900 he was elected mayor on the Democratic ticket by a majority of eighty-five votes, which was the largest majority ever given a city officer in Union City, and that position he is now most cred­itably and acceptably filling. He is wide awake, energetic and progressive, and has made a remarkable record for a young man of his years, and undoubtedly a brilliant future awaits him.

J. T. WARD, grocer, Versailles; son of George and Hannah Ward; was born in Versailes, Darke Co., Sept. 28, 1847.  Was married in Versailles to P. V. Simmons, 1871; children - Marvin, Mary and Louis Oliver.

HENRY WARNER, who is living on section 5, Greenville township, was born in Randolph township, Montgomery county, Ohio, March 12, 1835.  His father, John Warner, was a native of Pennsylvania and came to the Buckeye state in 1811, taking up his residence in Montgomery county the following year.  The unsettled condition of the state is indicated by the fact that there were only two cabins in Dayton at that time.  Henry Warner, the grandfather of our subject, was born in Maryland, and during the war of 1812 was drafted for service, but his brother went to the front as his substitute.  He was a farmer by occupation and died in Miami county, Ohio.  The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Charity Hill, and her death occurred when her son, Henry, was only seven years of age.  She had six children, all of whom reached years of maturity.  After the death of his first wife, the father married Polly Booker, and they had nine children.
     Henry Warner is the third child and second son of the first marriage.  He was reared in Montgomery county, Ohio, and the common schools of the neighborhood afforded him his educational privileges.  He remained with his parents until his marriage, which was celebrated in Miami county, October 28, 1858, Miss Elizabeth Stager becoming his wife.  She was born in Lebanon county, Pennsylvania, July 16, 1836, a daughter of William and Katie (Ensell) Stager.  Her father was born in the Keystone state, was a tailor by trade and in 1846 came to Miami county, where he died, at the age of eighty-four years.  His first wife died when Mrs. Warner was only six years old.  They had five children, two daughters and three sons.  The father was again married, his second union being with Caroline Walters, by whom he had seven children.  Mr. Warner was the second child and eldest daughter of the first marriage, and was ten years of age when, with her parents, she removed to Miami county.  After their marriage, our subject and his wife located on the old homestead farm of the Warners in Montgomery county, Ohio, and in 1864 removed to Huntington county, Indiana, where he was engaged in general farming until 1869.  They then came to Darke county, locating at Baker, in Neave township, on the Jacob Baker farm, where they remained for two  years.  On the expiration of that period Mr. Warner purchased  the farm upon which he now resides, then a tract of eighty-eight acres, which at that time was poorly improved, but is now under a high state of cultivation.  Upon it are found excellent buildings, good fences, drainage and all the accessories and modern conveniences found upon the best farms of this period.  The land being well cultivated, the harvests return a good income to the owner.
     The home of Mr. and Mrs. Warner has been blessed with the following children:  William H., the eldest, married Frances Arnett and they have two children - Elsworth and GertieVallandingham married Laura Westfall, and they had three children - Ollie M., Estella E. and Alva. But the mother is now deceased.  Samuel A. married Jennie Kefover, by whom he has four children - Melvin, Isaac, Nellie and HollyGerman, the present surveyor of Darke county and a resident of Greenville, married Sallie Huffman.  Katie is the wife of Burr Evans, a grocer of Greenville, and they have one child, Dorothea.  Mr. and Mrs. Warner also have an adopted daughter, Emma, who has been a member of the family since three years of age.
     Our subject and his wife are members of the German Baptist church and he is a Democrat in politics.  He has served as supervisor of roads and as school director.  He and his wife are people of genial nature and kindly disposition and are very hospitable to friends and strangers.  Their lives have at all times been commendable and worthy of emulation and they command the good will and esteem of all with whom they have been associated.
(Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900)

Greenville Twp. -
NATHAN S. WARVEL, Sec. 1, Greenville Township; one of the old settlers of Darke Co.; born in Richland Township Apr. 18, 1839; he is the oldest son of John H. Warvel, whose biography also appears in this work.  The subject of this sketch was raised upon a farm of his father's until upward of 20 years of age, and in 1859 he commenced business for himself by engaging in thrashing, which he has followed for eighteen years during the fall, being engaged for the balance of the year in farming.  In 1861, he commenced farming in Richland Township and in the fall of 1863, he exchanged farms with his uncle and located upon his present place, where he has since lived.  Upon the 23d of December, 1860, he was united in marriage with Nancy J. Royer, who was born in Logan Co., Ohio, Dec. 8, 1839; she was a daughter of David Royer, who was born in Rockingham Co., Va., Feb. 11, 1807, and came to Ohio at an early day, and died Feb. 15, 1860, aged 53 years.  The children of Nathan S. and Nancy (Royer) Warvel were four in number, of whom one is deceased; the living are Martha S. born Oct. 22, 1863; Eva C., born June 21, 1865; Mary E., born June 9, 1868; the deceased died in infancy, Oct. 10, 1861.  Mr. and Mrs. Warvel are both members of the Christian Church.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Page 734

Washington Twp. -
JAMES M. WASSON, farmer, Sec. 7; P. O. Union City, Ind.; was born in Butler Co., Ohio, Jan. 19, 1811; came with his parents to Darke Co. in 1816.  His father, David Wasson, married Flora Graham in Pennsylvania; both were natives of Ireland; when they moved to Darke Co. there were very few whites here, but a great many friendly Indians; the country a wilderness and swamps; their currency, mostly hoop-poles and the skins and pelts of wild animals, which were abundant; and Mr. J. M. Wasson, the subject of this sketch of this sketch, became a great hunter; three large black bears and many a noble buck and doe, and smaller game too numerous to remember, have succumbed to this unerring rifle; his first 40 acres he bought from the Government, and paid for it with the proceeds from furs and pelts of his own killing; this land has never changed title, and he owns altogether 200 acres; at the age of 25, he could neither read nor write, but began then to educate himself, and son obtained sufficient for all ordinary business affairs.  He married Christina Hover, July 14, 1835; she was born in Pendleton Co., Va., Mar. 14, 1816; they have had seven children, viz, Mary Ann, David F., deceased; Luther N., deceased; Peter C., Flora J. and Elizabeth A.  Mr. and Mrs. Wasson are and have been members of the Presbyterian Church for forty years.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880
- Page 758

Van Buren Twp. -
ELIHU WEAVER, farmer, Sec. 2; P. O. Gettysburg; a son of Henry and Susan Weaver; was born in Adams Township, Darke Co., 1867; they have two children - Edward and Henry.

ELIHU WEAVER numbered among the highly respected citizens and representative farmers of Van Buren township, Darke county, Ohio, is the subject of this review.  The family to which he belongs was founded here by his grandfather, Peter Weaver, a native of Virginia, and a farmer by occupation, who on first coming to Ohio located in Highland county, but at an early day removed to Miami county, where he cleared and improved a farm in Newberry township.  From there he moved to Adams township, Darke County, and settled on Greenville Creek.  His last days were spent at home of the father of our subject, Henry F. Weaver, where he died, May 15, 1848, aged eighty-two years.  His wife had died several years previously.
     Henry F. Weaver was born in Rockbridge county, Virginia, and there married Susanna G. Winters, also a native of the Old Dominion. They came with his parents to this state, and accompanied the family on their removal from Highland county to Miami county, and later to Darke county, locating in Adams township, where the father purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, mostly wild and unimproved. He died upon that place November 10, 1865, at the age of seventy-two years, and his wife passed away December 18, 1866, aged seventy-eight years, eight months and eight days. Their children were: John, who died in Bradford, Ohio; Andrew, a physician of Covington; Elijah, who died near Rose Hill; Nancy, wife of Eli Reck, of Missouri; Betsey, wife of Samuel Hill, of Covington, Ohio; Eli, who died in boyhood;. Henry, who died at the age of twenty-eight years; and Elihu, our subject.
     Elihu Weaver was born on the old home­stead on Stillwater river, Adams township, Darke county, July 1, 1833, and during his boyhood this region was wild and the schools poor and quite a distance from his home. His educational advantages were necessarily limited, but for a time he pursued his studies in an old log school-house, one of his first teachers being a Mr. Knowlton. When old enough to be of any assistance he commenced to aid his father in clearing and improving the farm, and remained with his parents until their death. He was married soon afterward and located upon his present farm of seventy-one acres, then mostly wild land, on which was a hewed-log house. To the further improvement and cultivation of his place he has since devoted his energies, until today it is nearly all cleared and under excellent cultivation. He is a stanch I advocate of free silver and Democratic principles, and is an earnest and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
     On the 14th of March, 1867, Mr. Weaver married Miss Sarah Weaver, who, though of the same name, was no relative. She was born in Franklin township, Darke county, January 15, 1845, and died April 14, 1879, aged thirty-three years, two months and nineteen days. Her father, Adam Weaver, emigrated to Ohio from Virginia at an early day. To our subject and his wife were born two children: James Edward, born December 30, 1867, who married Lizzie Strowbridge; and Harvey, born January 15, 1874, who married Elizabeth Ludy, and lives in Ohio City, Ohio.

Greenville Twp. -
HERMAN WEILLS, carriage manufactory, Greenville.  The subject of this sketch was born in Washington Co., Penn., May 23, 1851; he is a son of Solomon and Lydia (Shaffer) Weills; he left his place of nativity in 1856, and went to Liberty, Union Co., Ind., where he remained until 1861; he then went to Tippecanoe, Miami Co., Ohio, where he learned his trade, remaining there four years.  He came to Darke Co., and settled in Greenville in the fall of 1878.  He was united in marriage with Catherine Porter Feb. 23, 1874; she was born Sept. 23, 1851, and is a daughter of James Porter, a resident of Hancock Co., and is now living in Darke Co., at the age of 62 years; his wife was born in 1828, and died in 1865.  Mr. Weills' business is located at the corner of Walnut and Third streets, where he gives employment to several men, and manufactures some of the finest work in Greenville.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Page 537

Mississinawa Twp. -
EDWARD LAWRENCE WELBOURN, physician, Union City; son of George Welbourn and Jane Lawrence; was born in Marion County, Ohio, Jan. 11, 1843.  Mr. Welbourn graduated at the Eclectic Medical College of Pennsylvania, Jan. 25, 1866, and began the practice of medicine at Union City, Ind., Mar. 31, of the same year; from the first, his practice was a grand success, and he made money rapidly, but owing to failing health he purchased a farm on Sec. 20 the next year, and turned his attention to farming and experiments in organic chemistry; in the spring of 1870, he began the manufacture of a chemical antidote for rheumatism, and has been so successful in its introduction that it is known from Maine on the east to the Pacific Coast on the west; at the same time the Doctor has an office practice one day each week at Union City, which he intends to continue in the future.  The Doctor was married to Martha Levina Jones, of Harrison Township, Jan. 1, 1866.  Two children were born to them, namely, Ulysses Edward Alaska and Oclasco Carlos; Mrs. Welbourn departed this life Oct. 28, 1879.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Page 763

Greenville Twp. -
GEORGE WESTFALL, farmer; P. O. Greenville; one of the old settlers of Darke County, was born in Greenville Township, Jan. 19, 1841; he is the oldest son of John E. Westfall, one of our early pioneers, whose biography appears among the sketches of Greenville Township.  The subject of our sketch received a liberal education, and assisted his father in agricultural pursuits until upward of 24 years of age, when upon Mar. 30, 1865, he was united in marriage with Martha Phillips; she was born in Butler Co., Ohio, Dec. 17, 1843; they have five children by this union, viz., Leora B., John W., Maggie M., Bertha O. and Arthur R.  Upon the marriage of Mr. Westfall, he located upon his present place, where he has since devoted his attention to farming.  In 1870, he was elected as Township Trustee of Greenville Township, which office he filled with credit to himself, and satisfaction to his townsmen, for a period of eight years.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Page 538

Greenville Twp. -
ISAAC NEWTON WESTFALL, farmer; P. O. Greenville; the subject of this memoir was born in Greenville Township, Darke Co., Ohio, upon the 21st of February, 1843; he is a son of one of the early pioneers, John E. Westfall, and a brother of George Westfall, both of whom are mentioned in the biographical part of this work in this township; in early life he applied himself closely to his studies, and by so doing succeeded in obtaining a good common-school education; he has always followed the occupation of farming, and about he year 1869, rented a part of the farm of his father, which he has since operated.  Upon the 4th of August, 1864, he was united in marriage with Mary E. Bell, who was born in Gettysburg, Adams Township, Nov. 29, 1846; they are the parents of five sons, viz., Oscar W., William E., Charles E., Alonzo R., and an infant unnamed.  Mrs. Westfall was a daughter of Jacob Bell; her mother's maiden name was Mary Zimmerman, both natives of Pennsylvania, and early pioneers of Darke County.  Mrs. Bell died in 1850; Mrs. B. now makes her home with her daughter, and, at the age of 61 years, is in possession of all her faculties, and able to perform some household duties.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Page 538

Greenville Twp. -
JOHN E. WESTFALL, retired farmer; P. O. Greenville.  Among the early pioneers of Darke Co., the gentleman whose name heads this sketch is accorded a place in the front ranks; he was born near where the city of Cincinnati now stands Sept. 19, 1810; when 5 years of age, he came to Darke Co., with his parents and located in Adams Township; when 12 years of age, the death of his father occurred, and at 15 years of age, he commenced the management of the home farm, continuing the same until 22 yeas of age.  In 1832, he was united in marriage with Priscellia Williams, who was born in Ohio Sept. 21, 1805; they were the parents of seven children, of whom George and Isaac Newton, only survive, and are both mentioned in the biographical part of this work.  In 1832, he removed to Greenville Township and purchased 30 acres upon the same section where he has since lived for a period of forty-seven years; he has been a continuous resident of the county for sixty-five years; he now has 145 acres in his home farm, located three miles from Greenville; about the year 1869, he rented his farm to his sons, since which time he has retired from active labor.  He has a vivid recollection of the Indians, the wolf and deer, and other game which in the early day of his coming here was to be found in abundance.  He is one of the very oldest of our earlier settlers, nearly all of the pioneers of 1815 having either died or removed away.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Page 537

Greenville Twp. -
MARTIN C. WESTFALL, farmer and stock-raiser, Sec. 32; P. O. Greenville; one of the early pioneers of Darke Co.; born in Montgomery Co. in 18214; he was a son of Jacob Westfall, who was born in Virginia and came to Montgomery Co., Ohio, at an early day, and to Darke Co., about 1827, and was consequently one of the early settlers of Darke Co.; he died in the same county, about the year 1839 or 1840.  He was married in Montgomery Co. to Barbara Crawn; she was also born in Virginia, and died at the residence of Martin C. in 1878, at the advanced age of 88 years.  Martin C. came to Darke Co. in the year 1827, being then three years of age, and has always lived on the same place for a period of upward of half a century; he is one of the oldest continuous residents of Greenville Township; he has now upward of 106 acres under a good state of cultivation, which he has brought from a howling wilderness to its present state of cultivation by his own labor.  His marriage with Mary Pannel was celebrated in 1858; she was born in Virginia; they were the parents of three children, of whom one is deceased; the living are William L., born August, 1859, now living upon the home farm; Ida E., born in 1868; the deceased, Charles M., died in infancy.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Page 537

W. A. WESTON. Washington Allen Weston, deceased, of Greenville, Ohio, was born in Alexandria, Virginia, March 3, 1814, and died at Greenville, Ohio, April 24, 1876. His father, William Weston, was a sea captain and perished at sea. His mother, Rebecca Conyers was an English lady, and died soon after the death of her husband. When an orphan boy of fifteen he came to Ohio, and was six years a salesman in a mercantile house in Dayton, Ohio, where he made a record for fine business talent, industry and honesty. About 1835, with a small capital, he began business in Piqua, Ohio, but the financial crisis of 1836-37 swept away every dollar he possessed.
    Nothing daunted, however, he soon began again in Covington, Miami county, where he prospered and became leader in the public affairs of the community. In 1847 he was elected on the Whig ticket to the general assembly of Ohio and acquitted himself with credit. In the fall of 1848 he located in Greenville and opened the first hardware store of the place. In 1856 he purchased the Dayton Paper Mills and for seven years conducted a thriving business in that city. In 1863 he returned to Greenville, resumed the hardware trade and in January, 1866, became one of the organizers of the Farmers' National Bank of Greenville and president of the same, remaining such until his decease.   He was prominently active in the local enterprises of the community and his generosity was as universal as mankind, with a heart ever open and hand ever extended to relieve the necessities of the poor and unfortunate. He possessed a fine literary and scientific taste and had a very fair education; was a good conversationalist, excelled as a writer and contributed a number of timely articles to the public press of the day. The guiding principle of his life was the golden rule and he practiced its teachings in his daily business. Ever industrious and careful., he accumulated a large competency, provided well for his family and was respected by all who knew him. In his death this community suffered the loss of a good financier and a worthy citizen.

Greenville Twp. -
WASHINGTON ALLEN WESTON

Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Page 538

JOHN WHARRY.  John Wharry, surveyor, lawyer and judge, Greenville, Ohio, was born in what is now Juniata county, Pennsylvania, November 27, 1809. His parents were James and Margaret (Crone). Wharry, the former born in Juniata county, Pennsylvania, July 30, 1780, the latter in Frederick county, Maryland, February 7, 1780. They came  to Ohio in 1810, and after spending two years in Butler county, settled in Columbus, in December, 1812, at which time there were only three log cabins on the present site of that city. In the summer of 1812 lie was a member of General Findley's regiment that was sent to Detroit to assist General Hull, but he was taken sick on the march and was compelled to return home. His occupation was that of a carpenter, and he made the desks for The first state house in the city of Columbus. He died in that city March 19, 1820. His widow died in Richmond, Indiana, in May, 1848. In 1824 our subject, then a lad of fifteen years of age, came to Greenville, Ohio, and for several years was engaged as a store clerk. He obtained a very fair mathematical education, with some knowledge of Latin. By assisting at the work of surveying and by personal application he obtained sufficient knowledge to become a practical surveyor, and engaged in this business from 1831 to 1851, for most of which time he filled the position of county surveyor. In the fall of 1851 he was elected probate judge of Darke county and served three years. In the spring of 1855 he was admitted to the practice of law, having previously read under the late Judge John Beers, of Greenville, Ohio. April 21, 1838, he married Miss Eliza Duncan, of Warren county, Ohio, who bore him ten children. Mrs. Wharry died December 6, 1868. Until the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska bill, in 1854, Judge "Wharry was a Jacksonian Democrat, but from that time until his death he was a Republican. He was endowed with a remarkable memory and at the time of his death had, doubtless, the best recollection of early events of any man in Darke county. He was a member of the County Pioneer Association. For thirty years he had been connected with the Presbyterian denomination. He was one of the best draftsmen in the county, and an excellent penman, his records, in the department of the interior, in Washington- city, being pronounced unexcelled. He was a fine surveyor, a good legal counselor, a superior business man, and a much respected citizen. Two of his sons served through the late war—James Wharry as captain and Kenneth as assistant surgeon.

ELAM WHITE, a venerable citizen and retired farmer residing at Glen Karn in German township, Darke county, Ohio, was born in Franklin township, Wayne county, Indiana, January 1, 1818. His forefathers were Kentuckians, both his father and grandfather having been born in that state. Both bore the name of James White, and both were by occupation farmers. When a young man James came to Ohio, settling in Butler county and subsequently went to Indiana, and there he married, and there he passed the remainder of his life, engaged in agricultural pursuits. His was a long and useful life and at the time of his death his age was ninety-six years and eight months. Politically he was known as a Jackson Democrat. He took a prominent and active interest in local affairs, served fifteen years as a justice of the peace, and was respected and honored by all who knew him. His wife, whose maiden name was Jane Boswell, was a native of North Carolina and was reared partly in that state and partly in Wayne county, Indiana. Her father, Barney Boswell, also was a native of North Carolina, James and Jane White were the parents of twelve children, six of whom are living, Elam, the subject of this sketch, being the eldest son and third member of the family.
     Elam White was reared on his father's farm in Indiana, spending his boyhood days in assisting in the work of clearing and improving the farm, and remaining at home un­til he reached his majority. At the age of twenty-one he came to Harrison township, Darke county, Ohio, and here he was married, May 21, 1840, to Susan Carlinger. She was a native of Baltimore county, Maryland, where her early, girlhood days were spent, but after her mother's death, which occurred when she was eleven years old, she came to Darke county, Ohio, to live with an uncle, Samuel Garlington, with whom she re­mained until her marriage. They resided on their farm in Harrison township until 1898, when they removed to Glen Karn, German township, where Mr. White still lives. Mrs. White passed away April 29, 1900. Of the children of this worthy couple, we give the following record: Theodora is deceased; Lorando Jane is the wife of Robert Downing, of Harrison township, and has five children, Clifton, Lellin, Bland, Samuel and Orda; Maretta is the wife of Henry Bicknell, of Harrison township, and has seven children. Mrs. Eliza Florence Rodford, of Franklin township, Wayne county, Indiana, has seven children, Ida, Oda, Charlie, Ona, Thurman, Early and Winnie. The grandchildren now number nineteen, and the great-grandchildren, two.
     Mr. White began life a poor boy, by honest industry accumulated a competency, and now in his old age is surrounded with the comforts of life—a fitting reward for his years of toil. Politically he has supported the Democratic party ever since its organization.

Washington Twp. -
CAPT. JAMES M. WHITE, farmer and school teacher; P. O. Mt. Heron; born in Paterson, N. J., Mar. 11, 1828; when quite young, he emigrated with his parents to Kentucky, and in 1840 came to Ohio and located in Ross Co. and completed his educated in the high school at Chillicothe, and the Academies at Lebanon and Delaware; at 20 yeas of age, he engaged in school-teaching, which profession he followed until July, 1862, when he enlisted in the 91st O. V. I. and went forward to battle for the Union; he served through the campaign of West Virginia; after which he served under Gen. Sheridan during the campaign of the Shenandoah Valley, and was mustered out of service as Captain of Co. F of the above regiment, at Cumberland, Md., in July, 1865, having served in the Union army three years; he then returned to Ross Co. and followed farming and school-teaching two years, and after a residence of five years in Clinton Co. came to Darke Co. in1872, purchased a farm in Washington Township, and has since devoted his attention to farming and school-teaching.  In 1874, he organized the Mt. Heron National Guards, which formed a part of the 3d Regiment; was elected Captain, which office he held until 1879, when, on account of physical disability, he received an honorable discharge.  In 1854, he was united in marriage with Rachel A., daughter of John Chenoweth, one of the early pioneers of Darke Co.; they have five children now living, having lost three by death; the living are Mary, Jane, Annie, Elizabeth, and Thomas; the deceased were Alice, Sarah and Lucina.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880
- Page 756

HENRY WILLIAMS a retired farmer of Rossville and an honored veteran of the civil war. He was born in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, July 11, 1825. Before his birth his. father had died and he was reared by Michael Castle until he was twelve years of age. He accompanied Mr. Castle to Williamsburg, Montgomery county, Ohio, and continued under his roof for a time. He has depended entirely upon his own efforts since the age of twelve years. He worked as a day laborer and as a farm hand, scorning no employment that would yield him an honest living. As the years passed he was enabled to save some capital, which he invested in land, and its cultivation brought: to him a good financial return. He was married, January 9, 1850, to Sarah Replogle, a daughter of Philip and Elizabeth (Gossand) Replogle. Since that time he has engaged in farming, following agricultural' pursuits mostly in Wooster and Allen townships. In 1856 he settled on a tract of land. of thirty-two acres and after the war he added to his property until it comprised seventy-three acres of rich land. He afterward sold a portion of that, retaining possession, of forty-four acres, which he continued to cultivate until the spring of 1883, when he practically laid aside business cares and retired to his present home, situated on a tract of five acres of land at Rossville. Industry and energy have enabled him to add yearly to his income. He worked in the fields, cultivated his land, and when the crops were harvested he obtained a good return for his labor. Putting aside some of his earnings he is now in possession of a comfortable competence, which enables him to live retired in the enjoyment of a well earned rest. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Williams has been blessed with nine children, four sons and five daughters, all of whom are yet living with the exception of William Henry, who was killed by the cars. He was born February 27, 1858, and died June 27, 1896. The other children are still living, are married and have families of their own and there are twenty-eight grandchildren and eleven great-grandchildren living. During the civil war Mr. Williams loyally responded to the country's call for aid, enlisting as a private on the 21st of August, 1861. He was assigned to Company K, of the Fifty-third Ohio Infantry, and for four years faithfully defended the old flag and the cause it represented. He was first wounded at Resaca on the 13th of May, 1864, but remained with his company until the 22d of July of that year, when he re­ceived four shots in front of Atlanta, one in the forehead, two in the right leg and one in the left leg! He was then sent to Tripler hospital in Columbus, where he remained until honorably discharged. From 1865 until 1875 he received a pension of twenty-four dollars per year; for the next eight years he received four dollars per month, the sum then being increased to six and later to eight dollars per month, and since July, 1891, he has received twelve dollars per month. He is a valued member of the Grand Army of the Republic. In politics he is a stanch Republican and has served as a township trustee and road supervisor. At all times he is as true to his duties of citizenship as when he defended the starry banner upon southern battlefields.

J. EDWARD WILLIAMS.  Of staunch old Welsh lineage is the subject of this sketch, who is a native son of Darke county and now numbered among its successful and influential citizens, being the present efficient clerk of the courts of Darke county.  Public spirited and thoroughly interested in whatever tends to promote the moral, intellectual and material welfare of the community, he is numbered among the most valued citizens of the county.  Mr. Williams was born in Greenville, Ohio, on Jan. 24, 1878, and is a son of Joel and Mary (Kelley) Williams, the father a native of Indiana and the mother of Pennsylvania.  On the Paternal side, Grandfather Williams and his wife, whose maiden anme was Rebecca J. Arthur, and whose parentage was John Arthur and Sallie (Beard) Arthur, all were natives of Darke county, Ohio, but subsequently moved to Salem, near Union City, Ind., where he died.  His widow later returned to Greenville, Ohio, with her children, and here her death occurred when nearly eighty yeas of age.  She was the mother of the following children: John, Joel, Jason, James, Emma J. and William H.  On the maternal side, the grandparents were John and Rebecca (Shade) Kelly, natives of Pennsylvania, and the parentage of Rebecca (Shade) Kelley being Samuel and Elizabeth (Walter) Shade, English descent.  John Kelly, who was of German descent, came to Darke county many years ago and located in Greenville, where he engaged in the tanning business and died when well advanced in years.  Joel Williams was reared in Indiana and in young manhood was employed at farm work,  his education being secured in the common schools.  After returning to Darke county, he entered the employ of the Henry St. Clair Company, with whom he remained for a number of years.  He also served as city marshal and policeman for a long time.  He is now humane office, truant officer and game and fish warden.  To him and his wife were born the following children:  J. Edward whose name appears at the head of this review; Harry S., and J. Lendall, of Greenville, and Isis Juanita, who was graduated from the Greenville High School with the class of 1913.
     J. Edward Williams was reared in Greenville and attended the public schools, being graduated from high school in 1897  He then went to work for the Western Union Telegraph Company as a lineman, but at the end of a year he returned to Greenville and accepted the management of the Bell Telephone Company, being located at Bessemer, Ala., for about ten months.  Then, returning to Greenville, Ohio, he accepted the appointment a deputy clerk of the courts.  In 1908 Mr. Williams was elected clerk of the courts and so satisfactory were his services that in 1910 he was re-elected to that office, receiving the largest majority of any candidate elected to office in this county up to that time.  He is the present incumbent of the office and, by strict attention to his official duties and courteous treatment of all who have business in that office, he has won a host of warm personal friends and gained the commendation of all who are at all familiar with his work.  Mr. Williams is also a member of the Greenville school board and chairman of the St. Clair memorial and library committee, and has the distinction of being the first manager of the beautiful St. Clair Memorial.
     On the 26th day of September, 1900, Mr. Williams married Stella Shollenberger, the daughter of Joseph and Caroline (Clauer) Shollberger, and to their union were born two children, Ceres Caroline and J. E.  Mrs. Williams was born at Springfield, Ohio, and is of German parentage, her father having come to America from Boden, Germany, when young, and her mother, Caroline (Clauer) Shollenberger, was born in Sandusky, Ohio.  They died at Springfield, Ohio, when well advanced in years.  Their children were as follows: George, Jacob, Edgar, Harry, Stella and Amelia.
     Politically Mr. Williams is an ardent supporter of the Democratic party, and takes an active part in campaign work, and is being mentioned by his friends as a prospective candidate for congressional honors of the Fourth district.  Fraternally, he is  member of Greenville Lodge No. 161, Knights of Pythias, and Greenville Castle No. 40, Knights of the Golden Eagle.  Religiously, he is a member of the Episcopal Church, Mrs. Williams having been reared in the faith of the Lutheran Church.  A man of highest integrity and of unvarying courtesy and kindliness, Mr. Williams is honored by all who know him and is regarded as one of the representative citizens of his county.
Source:  History of Darke County, Ohio from its earliest Settlement to the Present Time Vol. II - Milford, Ohio - The Hobart Publ. Co. - 1914 - Page 55

Harrison Twp. -
JAMES M. WILLIAMS, M. D., physician, Hollandsburg, Ohio.  Among the successful physicians of Harrison Township is Dr. Williams.  He was born in Virginia Dec. 11, 1842; was brought to Montgomery Co., Ohio, by his parents in the year 1847, and grew to manhood there, receiving a good common-school education; when 18 years of age, he began teaching, and soon after to read medicine; afterward attended lectures and graduated at the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati May 21, 1869, and immediately began practice; he first practiced in Palestine, German Township; in January, 1871, he removed  to Hollandsburg, where he has since continued the practice of his profession.  Dr. Williams is entitled to the appellation of a self made man, having earned by teaching the means to secure his medical education; he started in practice with nothing but his knowledge, skill and industry to rely upon, and has persevered under difficulties until he now has a very satisfactory and constantly growing practice.  His marriage with Harriet E. Renner, of Preble Co., was solemnized Mar. 3, 1864; she was born in Preble Co. Sept. 3, 1846.  They are the parents of five children, four of whom are now living, viz.:  Gladus A., Samuel R., Wm. C. and Liston V.; the name of the deceased was Lucilla G.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Page 705

Franklin Twp. -
JOHN N. WILLIAMS, farmer; P. O. Pleasant Hill; the subject of this memoir was born in Miami Co., Ohio, in 1839, and is a son of Isaac and Sarah Williams; his father was born in Miami Co.; lived, died and is buried in the county of his nativity; his grandfather, John Williams, was born in Virginia, and settled on the farm where our subject's father spent a lifetime, where his eyes first beheld the light of day, and where he met the summons of death; on the land where his grandfather located was a place held sacred by the Indians, was a place of general rendezvous for all neighboring tribes, and on the same spot the early pioneers erected four block-houses, forming a square, which gave the settlers a place of protection and security from the many attacks of the Indians in those troublesome times.  Isaac Williams was born in 1810; his wife, Sarah, was born in Montgomery Co., in 1820, and is still living; the land entered by his grandfather remained in the family name for nearly three-quarters of a century.  Our subject was reared on the farm, and assisted in the labor of the same till his 21st year, when he united his destiny at the marriage altar with that of Sarah, a daughter of S. C. Miles, in 1861.  In 1864, he volunteered in the 147th O. V. I., one hundred-day men; served his time and was honorably discharged; he afterward emigrated to "Kansas, where he remained one year to a day, and then returned and settled on 117 acres of land in Darke Co., where he resided for six years, and then disposed of this land and removed to where he now resides; his brother Daniel was Adjutant of the 61st O. V. I., and was among the  slain at the battle of Gettysburg, Penn.  Mr. and Mrs. Williams are members of the Christian Church, and are exemplary Christian people; they are the parents of four children, viz., Floy, Perry L., Daniel W. and Allen.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Page 688

Twin Township –
THOMAS H. WILLIAMS, farmer and stock-raiser, Sec. 32 ; P.O. Ithaca.  The subject of this memoir is another among the many old settlers to be found in Twin Township ; he was born in Washington Co., Penn., July 5, 1806, and is a son of John and Margaret Williams ; his father was a native of Maryland, his mother being born in Washington Co., Penn. ; he was reared on the farm, and assisted his father in agricultural pursuits till his 18th year, when he began life for himself , and engaged in ship-carpentering for three years, when, having gained his majority, he emigrated West, and traveled through the States of Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and, on his way up the Mississippi River to Wisconsin, he erected the first building in Keokuk, and also the first fine frame building in Madison, Iowa.  This Western tour occupied about twelve years, when he removed to Pennsylvania, in 1839, and operated a saw-mill for two years, when he returned to Warren CO., Ohio, and was united in marriage with Miss Nancy, daughter of Barzilla and Mary Clark, Dec. 13, 1846.  Her parents being residents of Warren Co., he remained in Warren Co. till the next year, and then removed to Darke Co., in Twin Township ; he first purchased 40 acres of land, on which he erected a frame dwelling, and moved his family into their new quarters in September, 1847 ; his land being in a wild state, Mr. Williams commenced his almost herculean task of removing the vast growth, of timber and underbrush from the land, to prepare it for the implements of agriculture, and by dint of hard labor and perseverance, he succeeded in removing these obstructions ; in 1871, he purchased 80 acres more land, and in addition to the other , he now owns 120 acres of as fine land as is to be found in Darke Co. ; all in a good state of cultivation.  Politically, Mr. Williams is a sound Republican and has been identified with the most of the township offices ; he, with his estimable wife, are leading members in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and have labored long and earnestly in their Master’s vineyard.  Mr. Williams is greatly interested in educational matters, and has spared neither pains nor expense in giving his children good educations, his son Thornton being a graduate of the Ohio Wesleyan University, and a proficient and successful educator.  Mr. Williams informs us that James G. Blaine, America’s greatest orator and statesman, was once a pupil in his brother’s school, who was a very prominent educator in Pennsylvania.  The children of Mr. and Mrs. Williams are nine in number, viz : Clark L., born Dec. 7, 1848 ; Thornton R., born July 21, 1850 ; Frank M., born Nov. 3, 1852 ; Mary Belle, born May 31, 1854 ; Martha J., born March 31, 1856 ; Melissa A., born April 5, 1858 ; their first child died in infancy ; Clark departed this life Feb. 9, 1871 ; Frank died Aug. 30, 1868.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880. - Page 660-661
Transcribed by Teresa Head

WILLIAM H. WILLIAMS.  The task of providing work for many bread winners naturally assumes a position of prime importance, a fact that is recognized by William H. Williams of the William H. Williams Company of Greenville, Ohio, who realizes his responsibilities as the head of a large importing firm, and in the conduct of his business he demonstrates that he is a capable, energetic, likable and efficient man.  He was born in Randolph county, Indiana, Jan. 27, 1867, a son of James and Rebecca J. (Arthur) Williams.  The paternal grandfather of William H. Williams married a Miss Ross and they had five children, namely: Joseph, James, Ready, who died as a soldier during the Civil war; Hetty, Maria, and a son who died in infancy.  The parents of these children survived to an advanced age.  The maternal grandfather was John Arthur and he married Sarah Baird, both being natives of Darke county, Ohio, and farming people.  She died when about sixty yeas old, while he lived to be over eighty years.  They had a large family, among the children being Rebecca J., Abner, who resides at Union City, Ohio; Millie, William, Joseph and Elizabeth.  The Williams family is of Welsh stock and the Arthurs, Scotch.
     James Williams was born in Pickaway county, Ohio, while his wife was a native of Darke county the same state.  He came to Darke county, Ohio, with his parents in childhood and grew to manhood within its confines, becoming a farmer who operated in Butler township.  Later he moved to Randolph county, Indiana, where he died in 1867, aged forty-seven years.  His widow lived to be seventy-nine years old, dying June 28, 1903.  They were devout members of the Christian church, in which he held numerous offices.  Their children were:  John B., who is deceased; Joel S., who resides at Greenville, Ohio; Jason D., who resides in Randolph county, Indiana; James M., who resides at Greenville, Ohio, where Emma J., who is the wife of L. D. Yeaton of Indianapolis, Ind., and William H., whose name heads this review.  There were three others who died in infancy.
     William H. Williams was fourteen years old when he came from Randolph county, Indiana, to Greenville, Ohio, where he has continued to reside ever since.  His scholastic training was secured in Wayne township, Randolph county, Indiana, during which period he was performing a man's work on his father's farm.  When he located at Greenville, in 1881, he began clerking in a grocery store, and also worked for the first telephone exchange at Greenville in the room he now occupies, thus early learning habits of thrift and industry which have remained with him.  Still later he went into the restaurant business, and conducted it for ten yeas, when in 1901 he was made manager for the long distance telephone in the house of representatives at Columbus, Ohio, holding this position until 1912.  A number of years ago he recognized the demand for novelties suitable for use in the advertising business and traveled at first for the Spottswood Specialty Company of Lexington, Ky., but after a couple of years, founded his present company, now handling a high grade of calendars, fans and similar novelties, importing manufacturing and jobbing specialties used for advertising purposes, being conveniently located at No. 440 South Broadway, Greenville.  His residence is at No. 311 East Main street.
     On Sept. 10, 1895, Mr. Williams married Miss Frances B. Troxell, a daughter of John W. and Nancy M. (Anderson) Troxell.  Two children have been born of this union:  Paul James and Robert Harvey Garber WilliamsMrs. Williams belongs to the Christian church.  Mr. Williams is a member of the United Commercial Travelers' Association.  Politically, he is a Democrat and has been an enthusiastic admirer of William Jennings Bryan, as well as a stalwart worker in the ranks of his party.
     Mr. Williams had the distinction of not only being a very pronounced progressive Democrat, but the honor of perfecting and managing a winning campaign for the two candidates for delegates to the Democratic national convention at Baltimore, 1912, from the Fourth congressional district, in direct opposition to the wishes of the State administration.  The delegates, Mr. Browne, Sr., and Mr. Fox, having cast their every vote for Woodrow Wilson.
     Mrs. Williams was born in Preble county, Ohio  Both her parents reside at Fitzgeralds, Ga.   They had six children, namely:  Mayme, Frances B.,. Ethel, Daisy, Jesse and Hazel.
Source:  History of Darke County, Ohio from its earliest Settlement to the Present Time Vol. II - Milford, Ohio - The Hobart Publ. Co. - 1914 - Page 122

J. C. WILLIAMSON, physician, Versailles; son of David and Elizabeth (McGrew) Williamson; was born in Greenville Township, Darke Co.; parents settled here in 1816.  Was united in marriage with Rachel Reed, of Versailles, in 1872; one child, Olive Adrela Ella.

W. M. WILSON William Martin Wilson, lawyer, judge and legislator, was born near Mifflin, Juniata county, Pennsylvania, March 11, 1808, and died in Greenville, Ohio, June 15,1864. His parents were Thomas Wilson and Jane Martin and in 1811 they came to Ohio, passed about a year in Fairfield county, and in 1812 settled in Butler county, where Mr. Wilson was raised. He was educated in Miami University, at Oxford, Ohio, studied law with the late Hon. Jesse Corwin, of Hamilton, Ohio, was admitted to the bar in 1832 and then began practice in that place. In the fall of 1835 he located in Greenville and at once took a leading position as a lawyer. For a number of years he served as prosecuting attorney of Darke county. On September 19, 1837, he married Miss Louise Dosey, of Greenville, Ohio. She was born in Butler county April 23, 1815, and died August 2, 1856. In December, 1837, he started the Darke County Advocate, which, with a change of name, is now the Greenville Journal. In October, 1840, he was elected auditor of Darke county and was twice re-elected, thus serving, six years. In the fall of 1846 he was elected to the Ohio senate, from the district composed of the counties of Darke, Miami and Shelby, and1 held the seat two years, during which time he rose to a very prominent position in that body, and came "within one vote of being elected state auditor, having already gained the reputation of being one of the most efficient county auditors in the state. This one lacking vote he could have supplied by voting for himself, a thing which his manly modesty forbade. In the fall of 1856 he was appointed by Governor Chase as common pleas judge of the first subdivision of the second judicial district of Ohio to fill a vacancy. His decisions were distinguished for great research and ability. Being too old to enter the service during the war for the Union, he was, nevertheless, as a member of the military, committee of his district, an active and earnest, supporter of the government. He stood for many years at the head of the Greenville bar and was regarded as one of the best jurists in Ohio, and by his moral worth gave a higher character to the profession. He was a man of unusually quiet and retiring disposition; his words were few, but well chosen, and his sarcasm and repartee were like a flash of lightning on an opponent. At the same time he bore a heart of the warmest and tenderest sympathies. For a number of years he held the office of elder in the Presbyterian church of Greenville. He lived, and died an honest, upright man, in whom, as friend, neighbor and citizen, the community had the fullest confidence.
Source: A Biographical History of Darke Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago - The Lewis Publishing Co., 1900 - Page 234

GEORGE H. WINBIGLER.  Throughout the greater part of his life George H. Winbigler has been a resident of Darke county and has watched with interest its progress and development, withholding not his support from such measures as he believed would contribute to the public good.  He belongs to the better class of citizens in this community, and the record of his life well deserved a place in its history.  He is a native of Montgomery county, Ohio, born on the 4th of March, 1841, and is the second in order of birth in a family of nine children.  His father, Samuel Winbigler, was born in Maryland, not far from the city of Washington, D. C., and was reared to agricultural pursuits.  His educational advantages were quite limited, for he was only a boy when his father died and he was thus early thrown upon hi sown reseurces.  At the age of fourteen years he became a resident of Montgomery county, Ohio, and from that time until his death was dependent upon his own resources.  In 1845 he emigrated to Darke county, and settled upon ninety-four acres of dense forest land, which had been entered from the government by Jacob Weaver, father of Mrs. Winbigler.  His first home was a log cabin, and the subject of this review well remembers that primitive structure.  The father continued a resident of Darke county until his death, devoting his energies to agricultural pursuits.  In politics he was a Jeffersonian Democrat and supported Stephen A. Douglas, "the little giant of the west."  He served as township trustee and in other official positions, discharging his duties in an able manner.  He and his wife were members of the Lutheran Reformed church in York township, and this organization he aided and also contributed liberally to the building of the house of worship.  He was of German descent, and possessed many of the sterling characteristics of his German ancestry, being economical, thrifty and enterprising.  In this way he acquired a comfortable competence, becoming the owner of one hundred and thirty acres of rich and arable land.  He died May 4, 1876, respected by all who knew him, and a beautiful granite monument marks the last resting place of himself and his wife in the Lutheran cemetery in York township.  Mrs. Winbigler bore the maiden name of Ann Maria Weaver and was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, Feb. 13, 1821.  She died Dec. 9, 1887, at the age of sixty-six years, and, like her husband, was a consistent Christian.  Of their family of three sons and six daughters all are yet living:  Jacob, who resides in Versailles with his family, was formerly a teacher, but is now engaged in the insurance and loan business; George H. is the next of the family; Uriah is married and follows contracting in Ansonia, Ohio; Sarah is the wife of Irvin York, a farmer and stock dealer residing in the old Winbigler homestead; Amanda E. is the wife of James Renchler of Wayne township; Malinda M. is the wife of Levi Kesler, of Versailles, Ohio; Lovina is the wife of Oliver Miller, also of Versailles; Jane is the wife of J. B. Werts, a salesman residing in Wayne township; and Louisa is the wife of Warren Plessinger, an agriculturist of Brown township Darke county.
     George H. Winbigler was a little lad of four summers when he came with his parents to Darke county, and since that time he has resided within its borders.  He was reared to the work of the farm and has always carried on agricultural pursuits.  farmer boys were at that early day important factors in the development and cultivation of the land, and educational privileges were in consequence somewhat limited.  The methods of farming were primitive and Mr. Winbigler can well remember when horses were used in tramping out the wheat on the barn floor.  He can also remember seeing the first locomotive that ever came to Greenville, it making a run over the Dayton & Union Railroad.  At that time he and his brothers had accompanied their parents to the town preparatory to making a visit to Illinois.  Now the county is crossed and recrossed by the iron rails, which have brought all the improvements and advantages of civilization.  Mr. Winbigler has also witnessed the building of all the pikes which constitute such a splendid system of roads in Darke county, and in connection with one of his neighbors, Mr. Berch, he circulated a petition for the building of a gravel pike to Dawn, to intersect another pike, and this road is known as the Winbigler & Berch pike.  He remained with his parents until twenty-five years of age, and during a considerable portion of that time the management of the farm devolved upon him.  When he attained his majority his only property was a horse which his father had given him.
     On the 25th of November, 1866, Mr. Winbigler chose as a companion and helpmate on life's journey Miss Faith Plessinger, who was born Sept. 20, 1845 and died May 24, 1892.  On the 21st of July, 1894, he wedded Mary E. Hartzell, who was born in Darke county, Nov. 6, 1846, and is a daughter of Philip and Juliana (Harman) Hartzell.  Her father was born Jan. 3, 1811, in Adams county, Pennsylvania, near the famous battle-ground of Gettysburg, and died Apr. 5, 1873, in Darke county.  In early life he followed the hatter's trade.  He never attended school after attaining the age of twelve years and was therefore largely self-educated.  He often studied by the light of a hickory torch or of a rude lamp filled with grease or oil.  In 1836, at the age of twenty-five, he removed from Pennsylvania to Ohio.  He married Juliana Harman on the 18th of October, 1832, and with a party of twelve they came to Darke county, settling at Pikesville.  Only three of this party are now living.  The journey was made in wagons, and the homes of these settlers were primitive.  MR. Hartzell was always a warm friend of education and gave his children the best advantages in that line that he could afford.  He took an active part in the early development of the county, coming here when there was not a railroad within its borders.  In politics he was a stanch Democrat, and was a true friend of the little red school house.  He and his wife were earnest Christian people, and he was active in establishing the Reformed church at Beamsville about 1840.  He also aided in the erection of the first Reformed church at Greenville, of which he and his wife were charter members.  The Children's Home, a beautiful structure, north of Greenville, is located on a part of the old Hartzell farmMrs. Hartzell was born in Adams county, Pennsylvania, Oct. 21, 1810, and died Jun. 6, 1893.  Her youngest brother, Henry, was a drummer boy in the war of 1812 and was killed at the battle of Lake Erie.  In the family of Mr. and Mrs. Hartzell were four sons and five daughters, eight yet living, namely: Clara, who was a successful teacher of Darke county and who is the only living charter member of the first Reformed church at Greenville, and is now the wife of C. F. Bartling, who is living retired in Greenville; George is a farmer of Brown township; Maria who resides with Mrs. Winbigler; Julia A., who was formerly a successful teacher of Darke county, now engaged in dressmaking in Greenville, where she is highly esteemed and is known as a capable worker in the Reformed church, being especially active in missionary work; Philip H., who is the twin brother of Mrs. Winbigler, was educated in the Greenville high school, was formerly a teacher, but is now a carpenter and joiner of Springfield, Ohio, where he is regarded as leading citizen, being a member of the Knights of the Golden Eagle, a Democrat in politics and in religious belief connected with the Reformed church; Neander, a farmer residing at Okarche, Oklahoma, is the father of triplets, Faith, Hope and Charity, and twins, Alpha and Omega; and Reuben H. is married and lives in Springfield, Ohio, where he occupies the position of foreman in the Superior Drill Company.
     Mrs. Winbigler spent her girlhood days in Darke county, and, following in her father's footsteps, became a successful teacher.  She was educated in the public schools and in the normal school of Greenville, and for nine yeas followed the profession of teaching in Darke county, spending one term as a teacher in the Children's Home.  She is a lady of broad, general culture as well as scholarly attainments, and her work in the schoolroom was signally useful and effective.  She has also been a most active and earnest worker in the church.  She is a member of the Reform Missionary Society, of Pikeville and of Dawn, and was formerly a member of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union.
     After his first marriage Mr. Winbigler began farming upon rented land in Richland township.  His first purchase comprised forty acres in that township, but later he sold that property and in 1873 bought ninety-four acres on section 21, of which only thirty acres had been cleared.  His first home was a little log house, but today he has a modern country residence and near by stands a large and commodious barn and other substantial outbuildings.  All the improvements and accessories of a model farm are there found.  His land is of clay and black soil, well adapted to the raising of corn, wheat, oats and tobacco.  His marked industry has been one of the salient features in his success, and his life stands in exemplification of what may be accomplished through determined purpose and enterprise.  In politics he has been an earnest Democrat since casting his first presidential vote for Gen. George B. McClellan.  He has frequently served as a delegate to county and congressional conventions.  He is an anti-expansionist and is always firm in support of his honest convictions.  He has three times been elected to serve as township trustee of Richland township - a fact which indicates the confidence reposed in him.  Both he and his wife are warm friends of public schools and believe in employing excellent teachers.  He has acted as school director for a number of years and in this capacity has done much for the cause of education.  They are earnest Christian people, the former belonging to the Lutheran and the latter to the Reformed church in Greenville, and Mr. Winbigler has contributed toward the erector of four different churches in Darke county.  Both he and his wife are representatives of honored and highly respected families of this community and well deserve mention in this volume.
Source: A Biographical History of Darke Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago - The Lewis Publishing Co., 1900 - Page 646

Greenville Twp. -
A. WINKLEBLECK, contractor in supplies for P., C. & St. L. R. R. and dealer in timber, wood, bituminous and anthracite coal; office, Main street, Greenville.  The subject of this sketch was born in Montgomery Co., on the 2d of January, 1846.  He has been a resident of Darke Co. for several years, and, on Dec. 25, 1865, he was united in marriage with Susan Gorsuch.  They are the parents of six children, of whom three are deceased.  The living are Homer C., Maud and Carrie C.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Page 539

JOHN LEOPOLD WINNER.  Merchant, banker and legislator of Greenville, Ohio, J. P. Winner was born in Franklin, Warren county, Ohio, November 19, 1816. His parents were Isaac and Mary (Powell) Winner, natives of New Jersey. They were married in Philadelphia and in 1816 came to Ohio, where they passed their lives. Mrs. Winner died in April, 1832, and her husband in October, following. For about four years subsequent to his father's death our subject worked at the cooper's trade. In April, 1836, he came to Darke county and located in Greenville, where he extensively identified himself with the business of the community and also held prominent places in the political councils of the county and state. In November, 1837, he married Miss Charlotte Clark, daughter of John Clark, Esq., of Warren county, Ohio. For some five years Mr. Winner was in the grocery business. Eight years he kept a hotel. Four years he kept a drug store. In 1853 he engaged in banking in company with the late Colonel J. W. Frizell; and thus continued till May, 1865, when he became a stockholder in the Farmers National Bank of Greenville, and in January, 1866, he was made cashier of that institution, which position he held until January, 1872. In April, 1873, he opened the Exchange Bank of Greenville and conducted the business of that flourishing institution. His wife died August 12, 1863. She possessed in a high degree those noble qualities of mind and heart so essential to a true wife, and was revered in the community for her sweetness of disposition and sympathizing charity for the poor and unfortunate. She left an only daughter, Hattie, who inherited the sterling qualities of her mother, but the loss of her mother so affected her that she survived her but a few weeks, dying at the age of fifteen years. On April 1, 1867, Mr. Winner married Mrs. Jane Crider, of Greenville, daughter of John W. Porter, of the same place. In 1863 Mr. Winner became a member of the firm of Moore & Winner, which for a long time was one of the leading. dry-goods firms of the county. In 1846 he was appointed auditor of Darke county, and from 1857 to 1861 he represented Darke county in the legislature of the state, and from 1867 to 1871 he served in the state senate. In 1874 he was elected mayor of Greenville and served two years. In politics he was a Democrat. Although his school advantages were very meager, his active mind grasped a knowledge of men and things that fully compensated the loss. During the years' 1861-63 he was treasurer of the .committee to secure a county fund to encourage enlistments in the Union army and gave the subject much attention. He died several years ago.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Page 539

JOB M. WINTERS.  Darke county, Ohio, one of the historical sections of the Buckeye state, has within her borders many men who have left the impress of their individuality upon its history—men to whose efforts may be attributed the substantial growth and prosperity of the community and whose labors have led to advancement along social, intellectual and moral lines. This section of the state, which was once the home of the fed men and the abiding place of the noted chieftain well known in connection with Indian warfare which occurred during the time of our sec­ond struggle with England, is now a tract of well tilled fields, the property of prosperous agriculturists, whose sons and daughters stand side by side "with the children of capitalists and bankers in the colleges and universities of today. Washington has said that "farming is the most honorable as well as the most useful occupation to which man devotes his energies," and the utterance is as true today as when spoken more than a century ago. It has been largely due to the agriculturists of the community that marked, changes have occurred in Darke county, until it would almost seem as if a magic wand had been waved over this fair region, transforming the wild forests into blossoming fields. To this class belongs Mr. Winters, the subject of this review.
     He first opened his eyes to the light of day amid the picturesque scenery of the Blue Ridge mountains, his birth having occurred in Fulton county, Pennsylvania, on the 6th of November, 1835. He is the youngest in a family of five children, three sons and two daughters. His parents are George, and Anna (Mann) Winters. Four of the children are yet living, namely: John, who formerly followed carpentering and building, but is now engaged in agricultural pursuits in Pennsylvania; Margaret, who is living in this state; Dorothy, wife of Jonathan Yonker, a farmer of Darke county, Ohio; and Job M. The father of this family was also a native of Pennsylvania and was of German lineage. He obtained a good education and became a mechanic. He died July 12, 1836, at the age of forty-two years, when our subject was a little child. His wife, also a native of Pennsylvania, died July 30, 1855, at the age of fifty-five years.
     J. M. Winters, of this review, was reared on the home farm, early becoming familiar with the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist. Pie remained in his native state during his minority and acquired a good practical education in? the common schools. He applied himself dili­gently to the mastery of his studies and thus became able to teach, following that profession for a time. As the result of his industry and economy he had acquired a capital of two hundred dollars by the time he attained his majority, and like many other enterprising young men of the east he determined to try his fortunes in some of the newer districts of the west. Accordingly he came to Darke county, Ohio, and during his identification with the business interests of this locality he has steadily worked his way upward until he has attained a position among the substantial residents of the community. lie chose for a companion and helpmate on life's journey Miss Rhoda Brewer, a native of Darke county, their marriage being celebrated on the 1st of March, 1860. Eleven children, seven sons and four daughters, have been born of their union, and nine of the number are yet living. Ella, the eldest, is the wife of Thomas Mitchell, a farmer, by whom she has six children. Clara is the wife of  William Warvell, a resident farmer of Richland township. Marion, a carpenter and joiner by trade, is married and resides in Muncie, Indiana. Rufus, who is also married, is a successful commercial traveler residing in Delaware, Ohio. Orpha is the wife of George S. York, a son of one of the prominent pioneers of Darke county. George, who was a student in the schools of Greenville, Ohio, and a graduate of the Terre Haute Polytechnic Institute, is now a civil engineer, following his profession in Mexico. Clarence is engaged in the dairy business in connection with his father and brother, Oscar, who is the next of the family. Homer, the youngest, is an expert mechanic. Mr. and Mrs. Winters have given their children good educational privileges, thus fitting them for life's practical and responsible duties.
     After their marriage our subject and his wife located on a farm a short distance east of their present beautiful homestead, where Mr. Winters rented land for four years. He then made his first purchase of real estate, becoming the owner of eighty acres on section 28, Richland township. He had little capital and had to go in debt for the greater part of the land, but by diligence and economy was soon enabled to meet the payments, and as his financial resources increased he added to his farm until it now comprises three hundred and forty acres of rich and arable land. The excellent improvements upon it stand as monuments to his thrift and enterprise. These include a nice brick residence and commodious barns and outbuildings for the shelter of grain and stock. Mr. Winters engages in the cultivation of corn, oats, wheat and tobacco and is extensively engaged in the dairy business in connection with his sons, Clarence and Oscar. They began the manufacture of butter in 1895, and today have a very modern and complete outfit, their plant containing a six horse-power engine, a complex Baby de Lavel separator and other requisite machinery. They have a herd of twenty-six Jersey, Guernsey and Durham cows and manufacture a grade of butter which is unexcelled by any on the market. Their annual output is nine thousand pounds, and their business is carried on scientific and practical principles, so, that they are enabled to tell the cost of each cow and the revenue derived from the herd. In February, 1900, their butter was tested at Columbus, at the Ohio Dairymen's Association, where it scored ninety-nine points out of a possible hundred, a fact which is certainly creditable, not only to Mr. Winters and his sons, but to Darke county as well.
     Oscar Winters is an enterprising young business man, well qualified to carry on the enterprise of which he acts as foreman. Having acquired a good preliminary education in the common schools, he took a course in the Dairy School in the State College of Pennsylvania, and is therefore very competent in the line of his chosen work. The firm finds a ready sale for all the butter they can manufacture and expect to enlarge their facilities at an early date.
     For thirty-six years Mr. and Mrs. Winters have resided in Darke county and are numbered among its most highly esteemed citizens. In politics he has been a stanch Democrat since casting his first presidential vote for Stephen A. Douglas, the "little giant of the west." He has always stanchly upheld the banner of. Democracy and advocated those principles and measures which tend to promote the best interests of the masses. His fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, have elected him for nine consecutive terms to the office of. township treasurer, wherein he has discharged his duties in a most creditable manner. The cause of education finds .in him a warm friend, and for six or eight years he has served as a member of the school board. He has frequently been a delegate to county and congressional conventions and if a recognized leader in the ranks of his party in this locality.  Both he and his wife are devoted members of the Christian church at Beamsville, and contributed generously of their means toward the erection of the house of worship there. He has also aided in the upbuilding of the churches at Brock and Ansonia, and has not withheld his support from other measures and movements which tend to the betterment of mankind. His son, Oscar, is organist in the Sunday school of the Christian church at Beamsville. The family is one of prominence in the community, enjoying the high regard of all with whom they have come in contact.
Source: A Biographical History of Darke Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago - The Lewis Publishing Co., 1900 - Page 650

DAVID J. WISE.  It is always interesting to watch from the beginning the growth and development of a locality, to note the lines along which marked progress has been made and to take cognizance of those whose leadership in the work of advancement and improvement have made possible the present prosperity of the locality under consideration.  David J. Wise, of this review is one of those who have seen almost the entire growth of Union City, for forty years ago he cast his lot with the early settlers here.  He has also been an important factor in its continued progress toward the vanguard of civilization, and his name is therefore indelibly engraved upon its history, and well deserves a place in a record of the representative men of Darke county.
     Judge Wise was born in Greene county, Ohio, April 11, 1843, a son of Henry D. and Mary (Snedecker) Wise, natives of Ohio.  Both parents were left orphan children, and were married in Greene county on the farm where David J. Wise was born.  They had nine children, as follows:  David J., Samuel P., who died during the Civil war; Rachel, deceased, single; James M., deceased; Albert O., deceased; Charles Ellen, deceased; Mary Ellen, deceased, who was the wife of James Thompson, and a pair of twins, Abraham and Isaac, who died in infancy.  The father was reared a farmer, but subsequently learned the trade of cooper, which he followed during the greater portion of his life.  When he was about seventy years of age he retired and his last days were spent in Soldiers' Home at Dayton, where he died in July, 1911, at the age of ninety years, six months.  The mother passed away in Darke county, in 1881, aged sixty years.  They were members of the German Reformed church.  The father served as soldier during the Civil war, being a member of Company D, Forty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, for fourteen months, and from the close of the struggle until his death he continued a resident of Darke county.
     David J. Wise was reared in Greene county, O., where he first learned farm work and later the cooper's trade, the latter of which he has followed during the greater part of his active career.  He attended the district schools, and at the breaking out of the Civil war he enlisted, in 1861, in Company D, Forty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, continuing as a soldier until the close of the war in 1865.  He participated in numerous engagements, including the siege of Knoxville, and ever proved himself a brave and valiant soldier.  When the war had closed and he received his honorable discharge, he returned to his home, from whence he went a short time later to Sullivan, Ind.  That city was his home for five years, during which time he worked at his trade, and in 1874 he returned to Darke county and settled in Union City, where he has resided to the present time.  In all business matters Judge Wise is discriminating, sagacious and diligent, and his careful management and industry had unlocked for him the portals of success and brought out some of its rich treasures.
     On May 9, 1867, Mr. Wise was married to Miss Sarah A. Isenbarger, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Ditmore) Isenbarger.  Seven children were born to this union:  Laura J., Mary Ellen, Harry Danner, Cora Elizabeth, Telitha Pearl, Earl Waldo and Edith Madge.  Of these, Laura J. is deceased.  She was the wife of Charles Eagy and they had one son, who died in infancy.  Mrs. Eagy was an accomplished musician.  Mary Ellen died at the age of ten months and ten days.  Harry Danner is a substitute mail carrier and resides at home with his parents.  Cora Elizabeth married George Sharp and they had three children - Rhea Maude, Claude and Gaynell.  For her second husband he married Thomas Shumaker, and they live in Dayton, and have two children, Robert Earl and Charles WayneTelitha Pearl married William Briney, and they reside in Union City, Ind.  Earl Waldo, who is in the meat business at Winchester, Ind., married Olive Longenecker, and they have two sons, Lloyd Eugene and David Edwin.  Madge married Cleve Vincent Pitinger and they reside in Jackson township and have one child, Ralph Vincent.
     Judge Wise
is independent in his political views.  His first vote was cast for Abraham Lincoln in 1864, and since that time he has affiliated with both Republican and Democratic parties.  He served one term as township clerk, was for two years corporation clerk, was mayor of Union City one term, and for the past eight years has acted in the capacity of justice of the peace.  In his various official capacities he has shown himself conscientious and painstaking and possessed of high ideals of public service.
     Mrs. Wise was born near Georgetown, Miami county, Ohio, Oct. 23, 1844, and was about seventeen years of age when her parents moved to Darke county, settling at Coletown.  Later they moved to Mississinnawa township, where the father passed away in 1886, at the age of sixty-six years and the mother in 1889, when sixty-three years of age.  They were the parents of seven sons and five daughters: Sarah A., Simon P., David, Wesley, Mary Jane, Amanda, William, Perry, Sinora, Oradine, and two who died in infancy.  The paternal grandfather of Mrs. Wise was John Isenbarger, and he and his wife, Mary were the parents of ten children: John, Jacob, Joseph, William, Daniel, Peter, Polly, Esther, Betsy, and Sallie.  The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Wise was Jacob Ditmore, who married Katie Brenner, and had twelve children: George, Henry, Daniel, Jacob, Aaron, Samuel, Polly, Elizabeth, Sallie, Barbara and two who died young.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Vols. I & II - Milford, Ohio - The Hobart Publ. Co. - 1914.~ Page 277

FRANKLIN WISE.  In this work there is much interest attaching to the records, both personal and genealogical, of those who stand representative of the worthy pioneer element in the history of Darke county, and who are exponents of the progress and prosperity which mark the later years.  To the gentleman whose name heads this record we must accord an honorable place among the leading citizens of the county, and no publication having to do with the annals of this historic reference to his genealogical record and individual accomplishment.
     Mr. Wise was born on the old homestead in Richland township, the land comprised in the same having been entered by his grandfather, John Wise, the entry having been made Aug. 14, 1834, and executed over the signature of President Andrew Jackson, this being one of the oldest deeds of the township and being cherished as an heirloom by the Wise Family.  In the days to come it will be valuable as a relic of the pioneer days.  Mr. Wise was born Jan. 12, 1853, being the sixth in order of birth of the seven sons and two daughters born to Daniel and Catharine (Longenecker) Wise, and one of the eight who are living at the present time, namely: Benjamin L., a farmer of Patterson township, served for three years as a Union soldier in the war of the Rebellion; Iarena is the wife of Tobias Overholser, a farmer of Allen township; Samuel A. is a farmer of Eaton county, Michigan; John M. is a farmer of Mississinawa township, Darke county; Franklin is the immediate subject of this review; Clara A. is the wife of John Cable, a farmer of Wayne township; Harvey is engaged in agricultural pursuits in Ionia county, Michigan; and Daniel C., the youngest, is a farmer of Adams township, Darke county.
     Daniel Wise, father of our subject, was born in the old Keystone state, being of the old Pennsylvania German stock.  The date of his nativity was July 12, 1816, and he died Sept. 18, 1869.  It is presumed that he was about eighteen years of age when he became a resident of Ohio, and he was reared under the conditions prevalent at that time, receiving such meager educational advantages as were afforded in the early subscription schools, which, like other farmer boys, he was permitted to attend for a brief time each year.  He was early inured to the hardships of frontier life, growing to be a strong and sturdy man physically and one of marked mental vigor.  Politically he was an old-line Whig until the birth of the Republican party, when he transferred his allegiance to the new party, which more clearly expressed his views in its code of principles and policies.  He and his wife were members of the German Baptist church.
     Franklin Wise, subject of this review, is a thorough Ohioan, having been born and reared in Darke county, and he has unmistakably embraced the dominating principles of his parents as to the thrift and honor.  He has been reared to the sturdy discipline of the farm and has incidentally carried on a successful enterprise in the manufacture of brooms.  He received a good common-school education, which as been supplemented by personal application and practical experience in the affairs of life.  Mr. Wise worked for wages until he reached his majority, after which he prepared to establish his household goods upon a firm foundation.  April 29, 1886, he was married to Miss Ruth A. Craig, who has borne him two daughters - Ethel and Hazel - who are very bright and interesting little maidens.  Mrs. Wise is a native of Darke county, having been born Nov. 10, 1860, a daughter of David and Malinda (Baird) Craig, who became the parents of six sons and five daughters, nine of whom are yet living and all these are residents of Darke county except Lieu Elmer, who is now an express agent at Tiffin, Ohio.
     David Craig was born in New Jersey, Feb. 5, 1814, and died Jan. 5, 1884.  He was three years of age when his parents moved to Warren county, Ohio, and in 1857 he became a resident of Darke county, becoming a farmer by occupation.  Mrs. Wise's great-grandfather in the agnatic line came from Scotland, the name Craig being of the pure Scotch origin.  Malinda (Baird) Craig, mother of Mrs. Wise, was born in Warren county, Ohio, Sept. 16, 1825, and her death occurred July 21, 1898.  She and her husband were members of the Presbyterian church at Greenville and were very zealous in their religious work.  They owned a fine farm two and one-half miles east of Greenville.  Mrs. Wise was educated in the common schools, and she is of that genial and candid nature which will ever insure warm and lasting friendships.  She has been a true helpmeet to her husband and they are known and honored far and wide throughout the section where they have passed their lives.  They began their domestic life on the old homestead of our subject's parents, renting the land at the start, and finally Mr. Wise undertook to purchase the estate, a work which he accomplished within six years, with the aid of his devoted wife, and in addition to this he also cared tenderly for his widowed mother until her death.  The estate comprises one hundred and forty-nine acres and this is kept in a fine state of repair and cultivation.
     In politics Mr. Wise is a Republican, having cast his first presidential vote for Hayes.  Socially he is a member of Lodge No. 605, I. O. O. F., at Ansonia, and also of Stelvideo Grange, No. 295, with which Mrs. Wise is also identified.  He is the treasurer of the grange and Mrs. Wise is overseer.  In religious adherency Mr. and Mrs. Wise maintain the faith of the Christian Scientists, having made a careful study of the wonderful developments and comforting promises to be noted in this line of religious thought.  They are among the representative people of Richland township and are well worthy of this slight tribute in the genealogical and biographical history of the county.
Source: A Biographical History of Darke Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago - The Lewis Publishing Co., 1900 - Page 536

EDWIN C. WRIGHT is well-known as an upright and progressive citizen of Greenville and has for several years been prominent in Darke county's affairs.  He is a practicing attorney at law, with offices on south Broadway, and stands well in his profession.  He was born near Zenia, Greene county, Ohio, Sept. 18, 1866, only son of Edward H. and Allettah V. (Dunn) Wright.  The father was also born in Greene county, Apr. 24, 1841, and the mother in Maryland, January, 1844, and they now reside in Greenville township, Darke county, Ohio.  The father enlisted in the Seventy-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry and served four years with honor and credit.  Of their six children five survive:  Edwin C., of this sketch; Kate, wife of Harry Lamb, of Darke county; Ida Ellen wife of C. J. Riegel, of Darke county; Jennie, wife of Edward Reck, living near Nashville, Tennessee; Stella, wife of Charles Porter, of Henderson, Kentucky.  The parents are devout members of St. Paul Reformed church, in which the father has held various offices.  They are held in respect and esteem by all who knew them as worthy and estimable members of the community.
     After finishing the course in the rural school, Edwin attended Greenville High School and later read law with the late Judge John C. Clark and with L. E. Chenoweth, with which firm he remained three years and studied to such good advantage that he was admitted to the bar Dec. 4, 1891, and during the next month opened an office at Greenville with J. C. Elliott, former prosecuting attorney of Darke county, as his partner. This arrangement lasted one year and since then Mr. Wright has conducted his practice alone, always in Greenville.  His worth and ability have been recognized form the beginning of his practice and he has been very successful. . His fellow-citizen showed their appreciation of his merit and ability when they elected him mayor of Greenville, which office he filled creditably from 1905 to 1909.  By successive elections he also served as city solicitor during 912 and 1913, but has not cared for office during the last few years on account of his growing practice.  He is a Republican in politics  but has been well supported by all parties in local elections.  He was the Republican candidate for Congress in 1900, but as Darke county is Democratic in sentiment, he was defeated.  He served as a member of the Republican State Central Committee during 1904 and 1905 and has many times served as a member of the county Republican Committee.  For two years he served as clerk of the election board of Darke county.  His first presidential vote was cast for Benjamin Harrison in 1888.
     Mr. Wright is well known in fraternal circles and has held many offices in honor in various organizations to which he belongs.  He has been a trustee of the Champion lodge of Independent Order of Odd Fellows for the past twenty years; served six years as representative to the Grand Lodge of Ohio and is the only Odd Fellow of Darke county ever elected to any office in the Grand Lodge and is deputy grand master of the Grand Lodge of the State at this time.  He also belongs to the Foresters and to the Little Turtle Tribe of  Red Men, as well as the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.  He has served as secretary of Greenville Commercial Club.  He attends the Methodist church.
     On Aug. 28, 1890, Mr. Wright was united in marriage with Miss Mary Elizabeth Schultz, who was born in Greenville township, Darke county, Mar. 1, 1869, daughter of W. H. and Martha A. (Noggle) Schultz.  Mr. Schultz was born in Maryland, Aug. 7, 1843, and came to Darke county as a young man, in the early 60's, becoming a prosperous farmer and spending the rest of his life there.  He died Aug. 22, 1910.  Mrs. Schultz was born in Darke county, Jan. 18, 1846, and now resides at Greenville.  They had five children al born in Darke county, namely: Mrs. Wright; Maggie, wife of Carl H. Craig, of Greenville; Julia Pearl, wife of Jacob Menke, president of city council of Greenville; John William, of Muncie, Indiana; R. R., living with his mother in Greenville.
     Mr. and Mrs. Wright had three children, all born in Greenville: Martha Helen, born ct. 20, 1891, attended Greenville High School, later attended Ohio Wesleyan University and the Conservatory of Music at Cincinnati, became a gifted pianist, and is the wife of Algy R. Murphy, a clothing merchant of Versailles, Ohio; Edwin Henry, born Dec. 1, 1893, also attended Greenville High School, is in the second year of his course at Culver (Indiana) Military Academy; Robert, born in 1899, lived but one day.  Mrs. Wright and the children are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Greenville.  In 1897 Mr. Wright built the present comfortable home on Washington avenue, Greenville, and he is also the owner of other city property and several farms in the county.  He did not inherite his start in life but made it himself and is truly a self-made man.  He is a representative American, interested in the welfare and progress of his community and ready and able to serve the best interests of the people as opportunity offers.  He has a number of sincere friends and is one of the most popular men in Greenville.
Source:  History of Darke County, Ohio From its earliest Settlement to the Present Time - Vols. I & II - Milford, Ohio - The Hobart Publ. Co. - 1914 - Page 389

<BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX FOR DARKE COUNTY, OHIO>

CLICK HERE to Return to
DARKE COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights