OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Darke County, Ohio

Biographical Index

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
< BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

JAMES McCABE.  For almost sixty years this gentleman has been a resident of Darke county, Ohio, and during this long period, which covers nearly the whole span of the county's development from a primitive state to its present flourishing condition, he has been actively interested in its progress.  His upright course in life commands the respect and commendation of every one, and he is justly entitled to prominent mention in the history of his adopted county.
     Mr. McCabe was born near Franklin, Warren County, Ohio, Oct. 14, 1826, and is a son of John McCabe, born Aug. 31, 1798, a native of New Jersey and of Scotch Irish descent.  The father grew to manhood in his native state, and followed the occupations of a carpenter and farmer.  About 1817 he removed to Warren county, Ohio, making the journey on foot, and there he remained until 1842,when he came to Darke county, locating in Neave township, where he remained until his death, Feb. 8, 1887, at the ripe old  age of eighty-nine years.  He was three times married, his first wife being Anna Vantilburgh, the mother of our subject.  She was a native of Warren county, of which her parents were pioneers, and it is supposed that they were of  lowland Dutch descent.
     James McCabe is the second child and oldest son in a family of five children, three sons and two daughters, and is the only one now living.  During his boyhood he pursued his studies in a primitive log school house, and remained in his naive county until 1842, when he came with his parents to Darke county, locating on a farm in Neave township, which he helped his father to clear and improve.  At the age of nineteen he started out for himself, working by the month for nine dollars.  Having acquired a good education he commenced teaching school, in 1845, receiving his first certificate from John Briggs, one of the pioneers of the county.  As they had no printed forms at that time, the certificate was all written.  At that time the school houses were all of logs, and most of them had greased-paper windows and very rude furnishings.  His first school was in the Spring Hill district, but was then called the Ohler district.  For eight years Mr. McCabe continued teaching, with good success, and came to German township in 1852, having charge of the school in Palestine, where the Teaford twin boys were among his pupils.
     In 1854 he turned his attention to farming on what is now known as the Armstrong farm, where he remained two years, and then bought the Weaver farm, now owned by Mr. Philipi, on section 11, German township.  In 1863 he sold that place and moved to Palestine, where he bought a half interest in a mill, but sold out in 1871.  He next formed a partnership with Mr. Kester and bought a saw-mill, which they conducted together until 1874, since which time Mr. McCabe has operated it alone and has met with good success in this venture.
     On the 10th January, 1852, Mr. McCabe was united in marriage with Miss Ebaliah Wagoner, who was born Oct. 26, 1823, a native of Neave township, this county, and a daughter of George and Sarah (Stephens) Wagoner, who were among its pioneers.  Mr. Wagoner, who were among its pioneers.  Mr. Wagoner was a pioneer, and was in the war of 1812, being in the surrender of Hull.  By this union four children were born, namely: Flora Bell, who died in infancy; Orlando who married Anna, the daughter of Dr. Stiles of Greenville, now lives in Dayton, Ohio; Virgil, who married Jennie Starbuck, of Dayton, and they have five children: Roscoe, Hallie M., Bepo, Emma and Mary; and Ida May who is the wife of Eli Overman of Dayton, and they also have five children: Omer, Frank, Mary, and Harry and Terry, twins.  Concerning Mrs. McCabe, we should add that she lived with her parents until 1852; coming to German township, she resided there until her death, which took place July 26, 1899, when she had attained the age of seventy-five years and nine months.  She died as she had lived, a member of the Universalist church, and a consistent Christian, believing in the fatherhood of Good and the brotherhood of man.  The funeral sermon on the occasion of her death was preached by one of her dearest friends in the blessed faith of her denomination, Rev. Thomas S. Guthrie, now of Muncie, Indiana.   
     In early life Mr. McCabe was a Whig in politics, but he assisted in organizing the Republican party, in 1856, and has since been one of its stanch supporters.  He has filled the office of township assessor and township clerk many terms, and has always taken an active and commendable interest in public affairs.  In 1864, during the civil war, he enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Fifty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served one hundred days.  He is now an honored member of Reed Post No. 572, G. A. R., in which he has served as commander and is now filling the office of chaplain, and he has also been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows for some years, and the Universalist church.  He is widely and favorably known throughout the county, and well deserves the high regard in which he is uniformly held.
Source:
A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900- Pg. 255

JAMES McCABE, lumber manufacturer, P. O. German.  The subject of this sketch was born in Warren Co., Ohio, the 14th day of October, 1826; his father, John was born in New Jersey Aug. 30, 1798, and is yet living in Neave Township, with all his faculties well preserved; he emigrated to Ohio, when he attained to his majority, in September 1818, making the journey almost entirely by foot; he was accompanied to Wheeling, Va., by two young men of the names of Nutt and Helm; here Nutt retraced his steps to New Jersey, after replenishing his exhausted purse out of McCabe's; from Wheeling to Marietta, McCabe and Helm, journeyed by skiff on the Ohio River; becoming wearied of his mode of travel, they disposed of their skiff, and footed it to Chillicothe; here the two companions, bound together by the trial and triumphs of their journey, made a final separation; McC. pushed his journey o to Franklin Co., where he engaged a year or two at the carpenter trade, which he had previously learned; is marriage with Miss Ann Vantilburgh was celebrated June 17, 1824; she was born in Middlesex Co., N. J., Oct. 6, 1798, and emigrated to this State with her parents when quite small locating in Warren Co.  Our subject then established himself in Warren Co., and engaged at the trade till he came to this county in 1842, the 13th day of November; he purchased a farm in Neave Township, and abandoned his trade and turned his attention to farming; he has continued to manage his farm up to the present time.  Mr. McC. deceased and was buried at Carlyle Station, Warren Co.  Five children were born to this union as follows:  Sarah, born May 27, 1825, deceased; James, Oct. 14, 1826; John V., Jan 28, 1828, deceased July 16, 1855; William, born 29, 1829, deceased Oct. 14, 1851; Edith A., Feb. 28, 1830, deceased.  Mr. McCabe's second marriage was consummated with Miss Nancy Woodward, in Warren Co.; she was born in that county the 14th day of May, 1808, and deceased Jan. 21, 1855.  Nine children were fruits of this union, to wit:  George, Samuel, Ellen, Oscar and Malvina (twins), Elizabeth, Reuben, Wilson and Nancy; the above are all married but three.  Mr. McC. was united the third time in marriage with Mrs. Charlotte Heistand, a native of Pennsylvania.  Our subject was brought up on a farm; during with winter months, he applied himself assiduously to the acquisition of the rudiments of book knowledge; so well did he improve his time in this direction that he was early qualified to enter the profession of teaching; this he followed for eight years; he obtained his first certificate of John Briggs one of the first school examiners of this county.  He was married to Miss Wagoner Jan. 10, 1852; she was born in Neave Township Oct. 26, 1823.  Her father, George Wagoner, was born Oct. 24, 1788, and came to Neave Township, Mar. 12, 1817; he was a soldier in the war of 1812 and was taken prisoner at Hull's surrender at Detroit; at the mention of this cowardly act of Hull to him, he would become enraged a stamp the ground, even up to his death, which occurred April 6, 1868; he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Stevens, who was born Oct. 12, 1796, and died Feb. 16, 1864; they were the parents of eleven children, seven of whom still survive; our subject, after his marriage located in Palestine, and for a time engaged in teaching and farming; he then purchased the Palestine Flouring-mill, to which he  attached a saw-mill in about five years; he disposed of his property soon after this, and, with Mr. Kester, purchased and erected in Palestine a large saw-mill, which he still runs, having some time ago purchased Kester's interest in it.  Mr. and Mrs. McC. are the parents of four children, two sons and two daughters, to wit: Flora, born July 7, 1855, now deceased; Orlando, Sept. 6, 1857, now engaged in teaching; Virgil, November, 1868; Ida M., Feb. 7, 1864.  Mr. and Mrs. McCabe are members of the Universalist Church of Palestine.
(Source: History of Darke County - Publ. 1880 - Page 580)

SAMUEL B. McCABE, which occurred JAN. 4, 1908, Darke County lost a citizen whose memory is still held in the deepest respect and veneration.  His path was ever that of integrity and virtue, of trustworthiness and fidelity, and his mind bore the impress of the historic annals of the State of Ohio from an early period in its history.  For many years he retained his residence about one-half mile south of Weaver's Station, where he was the owner of one hundred acres of fine land, and was one of the revered patriarchs of the community.  such a life contains many lessons well worthy of emulation, and it is with pleasure, therefore, that his record is presented in these pages.
     Mr. McCabe was born in Middlesex county, New Jersey, Sept. 30, 1832, and was a son of Isaac and Rachael (Brown) McCabe.  His father brought the family from the East of Ohio when Samuel B. was still a child, and settled at Franklin, Warren County, where he spent the remainder of his career in agricultural pursuits.  Both he and his wife died at Franklin and were laid to rest in the cemetery there.  They were the parents of five children, as follows:  Mary, who is making her home in Missouri in advanced years, and James, John, Samuel and Wesley, all of whom are deceased.
     Samuel B. McCabe
received his preliminary instruction in the public schools of his native State, and after coming to Ohio completed his education in the district schools of Warren County.  On leaving the Franklin schools, he worked on the home farm until  he was of age, in the meantime carefully saving his earnings with the result that when he was still young he was able to purchase the nucleus of what was to become one of the handsome properties of Darke county.  He was long known to the people of Neave township as a man of sterling integrity of character, generous in all things, and with a degree of public spirit that kept his community's interests all foremost in his heart.  As a farmer and stockraiser he was skilled in his methods, using the most modern machinery with excellent results.  At the time of his death he was living somewhat retired, being in the enjoyment of the fruits of his many years of industrious labor.
     Mr. McCabe was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Knee, who came from Pennsylvania and located at Germantown, Ohio, and subsequently located on a farm in German township, Darke county, where Mr. McCabe was born, educated and reared.  Mr. Knee was a member of the United Brethren church, a well-known Democrat of his day and locality, and a successful agriculturist.  He and his wife had five children:  John, Silas and Jacob, who are all deceased; Elizabeth, who married Mr. McCabe became the parents of the following children: Ula, who married Frank Crumrine, and had one daughter, Zelma, who married William Brown, and has one child; Dora, who married Alfred Niswonger, and had six children; Reo Wealthy, wife of Howard Ketty, with two children, Robert and James; Lester, who is deceased; Arden, who married Ward Williams and has one child, Stephen A.; Elizabeth, who married Lemuel Payne, and had two children, Earl, who married Ethel Thorn, and has four children: Leroy, Mary, Mildred, and Andrew, who married D. Curtner, and had two children, Marion and Helen; Oscar, who married Anna Lautenschlager, and had six children, Clo, Icey, who married Earl, and had two children, and Frank, Ethel, Carl and Ruth; Ora, who married Charles Townsend, and had one child, Vernie; Bert, who married Sadie Jenkerson, and had four children, an infant, Raymond, Harry and D. Wilbur; Max, deceased, who married Luella Royer, and had two children, Fay and Sylvia; and Samuel B., living on the old homestead, who married Julia Zonia and has five children, Gladys, Sylvester, Shirley, Alpha and Warren.
     Mr. McCabe
was a lifelong member of the Methodist Episcopal church and earnestly endeavored to live up to its teachings.  He was a Democrat in politics, but did not care for the struggles of the public arena.  Aside from the pleasures of his home, he most greatly enjoyed to set forth with his rod or gun, and it was seldom that he returned from these excursions without some trophy of the fury tribes.  His life was one of industry, sobriety and probity, and his success came only as the result of constant and well-applied effort.

GEORGE H. McCLURE.  Among the enterprising and progressive business men of Greenville who. are meeting with well deserved success in their undertakings is the subject of this sketch—the junior member of the well known firm of Whiteley & McClure, dealers in farming implements and machinery, at No. 131 East: Third street. He is a native of Darke county, his birth occurring upon a farm in Washington township October 20, 1866. His father, John S. McClure, a successful and prosperous farmer, was also born in this county April 12, 1841, and died here April 10, 1895. The paternal grandfather, George McClure, was a native of Montgomery county, Ohio, and an early settler of Darke county. He married Maria Myrkle, and they reared four children. Our subject's mother was in her maidenhood Miss Mary Cole, a native of Washington township, this county, and a daughter of Samuel Cole, one of its pioneers. She died in December, 1867.
     George H. McClure was reared in much the usual manner of farmer boys and obtained his early education in the country schools. Later he entered the National Normal University at Lebanon, Ohio, where he pursued his studies for some time. After his return home he assisted his father in the operation of the farm for five years. He is now the owner of a good farm of one hundred acres in Washington township, which is under a high state of cultivation and well improved. While engaged in agricultural pursuits he devoted considerable attention to stock raising, keeping a high grade of cattle and hogs. His specialty was the noted Duroc hogs, which he sold for breeding purposes throughout the state.
     In 1897 Mr. McClure removed to Greenville and accepted a position in the service of the Farmers' Mutual Insurance Company of Darke county. Later he entered the employ of Warder, Bushnell & Glessner, of Springfield, Ohio, manufacturers of farming implements and machinery, and remained with them as a traveling salesman for two years. At the end of that time he formed a partnership with Joseph Whiteley, and under the firm name of Whiteley & McClure they have since engaged in their present business at' Greenville. They carry a large and varied stock of farm machinery, and as they have an extensive acquaintance throughout Darke county and the surround­ing country they have already built up a large and profitable trade.
Mr. McClure was married, in 1892, to Miss Emma Jeffries, of Darke county, the fourth daughter of Milton and Louisa (Chenoweth) Jeffries, and to them have been. born three children, namely: Lucile, Harold and Louise.
Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900 - Pg. 705

M. McDANIEL, Greenville, firm of McDaniel & Son, manufacturers and dealers in furniture.  Greenville, like most cities of its size, has its representative men in nearly every branch of trade, and to the above firm must be accorded the honor of being the leading firm in this line in Darke Co.  M. McDaniel was born in Medina Co., Ohio, Aug. 15, 1836; the early part of his life was passed in Putnam Co., where he received a fair education in the common schools.  In 1854, he located in Troy, Miami Co., where he completed the trade of cabinet-making, with Joel T. Thompson, who was one of the early pioneers of Darke Co.; he continued in Mr. Thompson's employ three years, when he associated with James W. Hickison, and purchased his employer's interest and continued the furniture business, under the firm name of Hickison & McDaniel, until the fall of 1860, when he sold out to his partner, and after a short residence in Lima, Ohio, enlisted, Aug. 12, 1862, in the 94th O. V. I., and went forward to battle for the Union; he was in many severe engagements, among which were Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Hoover's Gap, Tullahoma, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, Ringgold, Buzzard Roost, Resaca, Dallas, Peach Tree Creek and all through the siege and capture of Atlanta, during which time he was actively engaged for eighty-four days in succession, and was with Sherman on his march through Georgia to the sea, through the Carolinas, and with Sherman at the surrender of Johnston; thence north through Richmond to Washington, where, after the grand review of the army, he was forwarded to Columbus, mustered out of service, and received his discharge on June 14, 1865, having served in the Union army nearly three years.  Upon receiving his discharge he returned to Troy and followed his trade five years, and in 1871 came to Greenville, and for four years was foreman of Turpen & Co's furniture factory, and in 1874 purchased the furniture store of Turpen and Auld, since which time he has continued the business under the above firm name.  His marriage was celebrated with Nancy E. Mickfall Dec. 1, 1859; she died Dec. 14, 1879; they were the parents of three children, of whom two died infancy; the living, William A. J., is now junior member of the above firm.  Mr. McDaniel has been a member of the Baptist Church since 1865, and became a member of Center Lodge No. 272, of Troy, in 1860, and in 1874 affiliated with the Greenville Lodge No. 195, and is also a member of Greenville Encampment, No. 90.
(Source: * History of Darke County, Ohio - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co. 1880 - Page 510)

ALEXANDER HUGH McEOWEN, retired farmer, Greenville; among the old settlers of Darke Co., Ohio; the gentleman whose name heads his sketch is awarded a place in the front ranks; he was born in Somerset Co., N. J., Oct 2, 1810; he was a son of Alexander McEowen, who was born in the above State Nov. 29, 1778; he married his second wife, Alada Hageman, in November, 1808; she was born in New Jersey; they were the parents of seven children by this union, of whom the subject of this sketch and Henry H. now survive; Henry was born July 21, 1823, and is now living in Allen Township, Darke Co.; their father was one of the patriots of the war of 1812, and was also one of the minute-men of the Northwest Territory, and served under Gen. Wayne in this State; he was married three times, and was the father of eleven children, of whom only three now survive; Mr. McEowen died Dec. 12, 1863, aged 85 years; Mrs. McEowen died Aug. 22, 1830.  The subject of this memoir came to Ohio with his parents in 1822, and located in Warren Co., where he followed farming until 1844, when he came to Darke Co., and, after a residence of ten years in Twin Township, during which time he cleared a farm of 90 acres, he came to Greenville Township and purchased his present place in 1854, where he has since lived; he now has in his home farm 225 acres under a good state of cultivation, with good farm buildings, located two and one-half miles east from Greenville, nearly all of which he has secured by his own hard labor and correct business habits, in which he has been nobly assisted by his amiable wife, to whom he was married Mar. 14, 1839; she was born in Warren Co., Ohio, Dec. 17, 1810; they have no children of their own, but have been taken and partially raised several until sufficiently old to be self-supporting.  Mr. McEowen continued farming until 1878, when he rented his farm and retired from active labor.  He was formerly an Old Line Whig, but joined the Republican party upon its organization, and since that time he was ardently labored for the support of the same.  Mr. and Mrs. McEowen have been members of the Presbyterian Church many years.  They have traveled the path of life  together for a period of forty years, and now, in their declining years, find that comfort and consolation in the Bible which only falls to the lot of true Christians.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - 1880 - Pg. 510
 
HENRY H. McEOWEN.  There is in the life of every individual a period free from care - happy childhood days; then comes the period of labor and responsibility which falls to the lot of every individual.  The yeas pass and man's duties are manifold and often of an onerous nature; but if his labors are wisely directed and his energies guided by sound judgment, he may again reach a stage in life in which he can enjoy rest from the cares of former years, having acquired a competence which enables him to put aside the heavier burdens that were his in the prime of life.  Such has been the career of Henry Hagerman McEowen, who is now living retired in Rossville.
     He was born in Turtle Creek township, Warren county, Ohio, on the 21st of July, 1823, and has therefore passed the seventy-seventh milestone on life's journey.  The family is of Scotch lineage.  The grandfather of our subject was a native of Scotland, and now lies buried near Trenton, New Jersey.  Alexander McEowen, the father of Henry H., was born in New Jersey in 1787, served as a wagon boy in General Wayne's army, and died near Greenville, Ohio, in 1864.  He married Miss Ollie Hagerman, also a native of New Jersey, the marriage taking place about 1813.  The father had been previously married, and by the first union had two daughters and one son, - Eliza, Mary and Ord.  After the death of his first wife the father married Miss Hagerman, and they became the parents of seven children, as follows:  Alexander, who was born in 1814, and died in 1884, leaving a widow; Harriet, who became Mrs. Atkinson and died leaving five children; Jane, who became the wife of Peter Bercaw and died in 1882, while of their family of seven children one daughter and two sons survive; Batie, who died at the age of twelve years; Henry H., the next younger; Charity Ellen, who became Mrs. Reppetowe, (SHARON'S NOTE: See biography of William H. Reppeto herein) and died in Piqua about 1850, leaving one son; and John, who died at the age of eighteen years.  After the death of the mother of these children, the father was a third time married, and had one son by that union, Jacob R., who is now residing at Dawn, Darke county.
     Mr. McEowen, whose name introduces this review, was bereft of a mother's care when only nine years of age.  He then went to live with his uncle, Henry Hagerman, a farmer of Warren county, Ohio.  At the age of nineteen he began learning the wagonmaker's trade, serving a three-years apprenticeship.  He followed that pursuit as a journeyman for less than one year, and then began learning the planemaking trade, for which he served a three-years apprenticeship.  In 1850 he came to Darke county and opened a wagon shop in Ithaca.  Subsequently, however, he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits for seen years, residing upon a farm of eighty acres in Allen township.  He then located in his village home in 1896, where he is now enjoying a well earned rest.  His has been an energetic and industrious life, and his indefatigable efforts have brought to him a comfortable competence.
     On the 13th of September, 1851, Mr. McEowen was united in marriage to Miss Melissa Millette, who was born in Ithaca in 1834, a daughter of John and Sybil Millette.  Their Marriage was blessed with eleven children, three sons and eight daughters, and they lost one daughter in infancy.  Florence Emily, the eldest child, was born September 28, 1852, and is now the widow of Ezra Heistand, by whom she had four children, of whom three are living.  John, a farmer in Greenville township, is married and has two sons.  William Henry, a resident farmer of Allen township, had eight children, of whom five sons and two daughters are yet living.  Ollie died at the age of nineteen years.  Sarah Ann is the wife of Tobias Heistand, and has ten children.  Jennie is the wife of Jacob ReplogleNellie May, who was a pianist and music teacher, died at the age of twenty-eight years.  Charles W. engaged in the operation of the home farm of eighty acres, where he lives with his wife and two sons.  Lillie Pearl is the wife of William Howard, of Greenville township, and has only one son.  Mattie is the wife of Richard Kineson, of West Alexandria, and has two children.
     During the civil war Mr. McEowen loyally responded to his country's call for aid, enlisting on the 5th of August, 1862, at Greenville as a member of Company G, Forty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  He served until the close of the war in mounted infantry and cavalry forces, was once taken prisoner and twice his horse was shot from under him, at Martinsburg.  He was incarcerated one month at Richmond, in the Pemberton building, and then released.  Always found at his post, he faithfully defended the old flag and stood by the Union cause until its supremacy was established.  He now holds membership in the Grand Army of the Republic, and finds much pleasure in recalling memories of tented fields in the midst of his old army comrades.  In politics he is a Republican, but has never been an aspirant for office.  At the age of nineteen yeas he joined the Methodist Episcopal church, and has since been one of its consistent representatives.  He has served as a class leader, and he has always endeavored to mold his life after the teachings of the denomination with which he is connected.  His has been a useful and honorable career, such as commands the respect and confidence of all.
Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900 - Pg. 399
J. A. McEOWEN.  It is gratifying to the biographer to find a subject like John A. McEowen, for in his career is given the successful attempts of a man who entered upon his life work without any particular training, or inherited riches, and yet through native ability and earnest perseverance gained the goal he had in view from the beginning.  His work has been directed along agricultural lines.  He has not tried to accomplish the impossible, but in doing his duty each day, has become the owner of a large acreage and established himself in the confidence of the people with whom he is constantly associated.  Mr. McEowen is conveniently located on the West Milton turnpike and also owns a fine property on the Jaysville road, both farms being in Greenville township.
     John A. McEowen was born in Darke county, Jan. 1-0, 1855, a son of Henry H. and Melissa (Millett) McEowen.  Henry H. McEowen was born in Warren county, Ohio, but came to Darke county in young manhood.  A mechanic by trade, he was profitably working at his trade when he responded to the call of his country and enlisted for service during the Civil war in the Forty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry and re-enlisted in the Eighth Ohio cavalry.  After a faithful service, Henry H. McEowen received his honorable discharge and returned home to engage in farming within the confines of Allen township, Darke county.  A man of more than ordinary intelligence, although his educational opportunities were confined to the country schools of Warren county, he developed into one of the prominent men of Darke county and his influence was felt during his day.
     Owing to his father's superior attainments, John A. McEowen was given better advantages than many of his associates, for he not only was sent to the local rural schools, but those of Greenville.  While he was attending school, he was taught to make himself useful on the farm and in this way gained a knowledge of the work which he was to follow all his life.  When he was twenty-three years old, he began farming for himself, for the first three years thereafter conducting his uncle's property.  Recognizing the worth and possibilities of this land, he purchased another farm of one hundred and two acres on the Jaysville road, joining his other farm, making three hundred and eighty-four acres in all, at the expiration of the three years, and has since devoted it to general farming and stock raising.  His homestead comprises two hundred and twenty-five acres, while his other farm contains one-hundred and thirty-five acres, and all of the land is very fertile, while the improvements are strictly modern, carrying out the latest ideas with regard to sanitation and conveniences calculated to assist in the work.
     John A. McEowen married Angeline Emrick, a daughter of Henry Emrick, who came to Darke county from Preble county.  Mr. and Mrs. McEowen have had two sons:  Hugh E., who married Edna Palmer, has two children, John and Mary; and Orville, who married Ada Hunt, has one child, Roy.  Fraternally, Mr. McEowen is a Mason and finds pleasure in his connections in this direction.  While not a  member of any religious denomination, he is in sympathy with the work of all churches, and gives them material assistance.  Not only is he serving on the public school board, but for the last twelve years he has been acting as a director of the Children's Home, and is a man of public spirit, who discharges his responsibilities ably and conscientiously.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - From its earliest Settlement to the Present Time - Vol. II - Milford, Ohio - The Hobart Publ. Co. - 1914 - pg. 298

HUGH T. McKIBBEN is a retired farmer living on his seventy-five acre farm on section 26, Mississinawa township.  The competence which enables him to rest from his labors was acquired by active toil in former years.  He was born in Clermont county, Ohio, Dec. 27, 1826, and his grandfather, Hugh McKibben, was one of the pioneers of that locality, to which he removed from his former home in Pennsylvania.  His wife was Susanna Hughes, and they became the parents of thirteen children, six of whom reached adult age and were married.  Of the family, however, William and Wesley died in early life.  Three sons reached mature years, and Hugh and Joseph died in Illinois, while Samuel Parker McKibben died in Kentucky.
     John McKibben, the father of our subject, was born in Clermont county, Ohio, June 13, 1802, and was reared amidst the wild scenes of the frontier.  After he had attained to man's estate he married Jemima Pigman, who was born in Greenbrier county, Virginia.  They were married about 1821, and became the parents of six children, five sons and one daughter, all of whom were born in Clermont county.  One son, Harrison, died in that county, at the age of eight years.  On the 15th of September, 1839, the family arrived in Darke county, and the father purchased a quarter-section of land about two miles from the present home of our subject.  In the midst of the forest he cleared and developed a farm, the timber being so dense that he had to cut away the trees in order to erect his log cabin, which was built of round logs, while the roof was made of boards cut from a large red oak tree which stood on the site of the cabin.  The floor above also was made of red oak, while the lower floor was made of puncheons.  The father, with the aid of his sons, cleared the greater part of the land, and there he made his home for eighteen years.  But about 1857 he went to live with his son Hugh, and his death occurred in 1881, when he had reached the age of seventy-nine yeas, his remains being interred at Rose Hill.  His widow was called away about four years later, when eighty-four years of age.  Of their children we observe: Joshua R., who was born in 1821, followed carpentering and died in Indianapolis, Indiana, about 1877, being survived by his widow; Levi P. was born in 1824, and died in Rossville in1895, when about seventy-one years of age; his only child, a daughter, is also deceased; Hugh T. is the third of the family; Joseph H. was the next youngest and died in childhood; Susanna Jane died when about twenty-one years of age; and William W. was born in 1834, was a farmer and is now living in Knobnoster, Missouri, his family consisting of four children, of whom two sons and a daughter are now living.
     The educational advantages which Hugh H. McKibben enjoyed were limited.  He pursued his studies in a log schoolhouse, sixteen by sixteen feet, with puncheon seats and floors.  His training at farm labor, however, was not meager, and he remained at home until twenty-four years of age, when he was married to Mary Nesmonger, who was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1827.  They took up their abode in the midst of the forest and the farm upon which Mr. McKibben resides has been cleared almost entirely by his own efforts.  For forty-six consecutive years he aided in building houses and barns, attending all the log-rollings, and was thus an active factor in the development of this portion of the county.  He always enjoyed good health, being never ill except on one occasion, when he suffered an attack of sickness lasting thirteen days.  His life has been one of marked industry, bringing to him creditable and desirable prosperity.
     Eight children were born unto Mr. and Mrs. McKibben.  Amanda, the eldest, became the wife of William Funke, and after his death married Jacob Seacrist of Darke county; he has one living child by the first marriage; Mary A. is the wife of George Brooks, a farmer of Jackson township, and they have five sons and four daughters, and have lost two other children; Hiram A., a farmer residing five miles from Arcanum, is married and has three sons and one daughter yet living; Sarah J. is the wife of Gottlieb Coupp, and they have two children living.  Albert J. is married and has five sons and three daughters; Irving Grant manages the home farm and has four daughters; Elmer Elsworth, twin brother of Irving, resides in Jackson township and has one son and one daughter; and Dora Ellen is the wife of William Stauffer, of Union City, Indiana, and they have a son and daughter.  Mr. McKiben has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church for fifty-seven years, and the house of worship is located on his farm.  His wife and most of the children are also members of the same church and the family is one of the highest respectability, enjoying the war regard of many friends in the community.
Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900 - Page 624

Washington Twp. -
JAMES McNEIL, merchant, Justice of the Peace and Postmaster, Sec. 34; residence, Darke; was born in Breckenridge Co., Ky., Sept. 1, 1835; moved to Darke Co., Ohio, with his parents, in 1844; from 1856 to 1862, he followed school-teaching, then went into merchandising where he now resides, in Sec. 34; in 1864, he volunteered for 100-days service in 1852d O. N. G.; after rendering his faithful and loyal service to his country, through much tribulation, he was honorably discharged; he returned to his home and resumed his business; was appointed Postmaster April 9, 1875, and elected Justice and the Peace in April, 1879.  He married Mary Harter, Oct. 15, 1861; she was born in Darke Co., Ohio, April 6, 1843; they have had four children, viz.: William H., born Mar. 23, 1862, died Feb. 6, 1868; Viola, June 14, 1867; David R., Jan. 3, 1869; Linna May, Oct. 14, 1873.  David G. McNeil, father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Lancaster Co., Penn., in 1796, and his mother, Harriet (Lay) McNeil, in Fairfax Co., Va., Mar. 8, 1808.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Page 756

ISAAC MARKER.  Among the citizens of Darke county whose lives have been devoted to agricultural pursuits is Isaac Marker, a well-known farm­er of Van Buren township. He was born in Mercer county, Ohio, September 5, 1855, and when thirteen years of age came to Darke county with his parents, George and Lydia (Epperell) Marker, locating in Van Buren township, where lie grew to manhood, early becoming familiar with every department of farm work.
     On the 1st of November, 1877, Mr. Marker was united in marriage with Miss Mary Jane Shields, who was born on her father's farm in Van Buren township, January 4, 1855, and was educated in the country schools of the neighborhood. They began their domestic life upon a farm of eighty acres which she owned, and there they have since made their home, Mr. Marker being engaged in its operation. In his political views he is a stanch Democrat, and he has been called upon to fill several local offices.
Mr. and Mrs. Marker have eight children whose names and dates of birth are as fol­lows: Lucy, born September 19, 1878; George A., October 17, 1880; Lydia Maud, October 1, 1884; Dolly Frances, December 28, 1886; Therman Russell, December 10, 1889; Mary, May 12, 1893; Harley Earle, July 7, 1895; and Homer Jennings, December 26, 1898.  Mary died in infancy, but the others are living and are still at home with the exception of Lucy, who was married August 12, 1899, to Roy S. French, and they have one child, Rhoda Helen.
Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900 - Page 752

LEONARD MARKER, a well known undertaker and furniture dealer of Versailles, Ohio, has the distinction of having won the proud American title of self-made man.  His great determination and energy have enabled him to overcome all difficulties and obstacles in his path and work his way steadily upward to prosperity.
     He was born near Dayton, Montgomery county, Ohio, June 9, 1846, and is of German descent, his paternal great-grandfather having been a native of Germany.  The grandfather, George Marker, was born in Maryland and became a wealthy slaveholder of that state, but being a very liberal man he lost his property by going as security for others.  He then came to Ohio with his family, and located on the site of the present Soldiers' Home near Dayton, Montgomery county, where he spent the remainder of his life, dying at about the age of seventy-two years.
     Raymond J. Marker, the father of our subject, was born in Maryland, in 1824, and was four years of age when the family removed to Montgomery county, Ohio, where he grew to manhood and married Eliza Bachman, who was born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, but was reared in Montgomery county, this state.  Her father, Christian Bachman, was a native of Germany.  She died at an early age of twenty-eighty years, leaving four children: Leonard, our subject; Allen, who is engaged in the transfer, dray and express business in Versailles; Hiram, who died at the age of eighteen years; and Maggie C., the widow of George Burns and a resident of Cleveland.  In early life the father followed the butcher's trade, but after coming to Darke county, in 1850, he purchased a farm near the old Bowers Mill and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits.  He died there in 1855, at the age of thirty-one years.  He was serving at that time as justice of the peace, and had also filled the offices of township clerk and land appraiser.  In religious belief he was a Lutheran, and in politics a Democrat, and he was one of the most highly respected citizens of his community.
     Left an orphan at the early age of nine years, Leonard Marker went to live with his uncle, Perry Marker, in Liberty, Ohio, remaining with him until nineteen years of age and attending the village schools.  He then spent two yeas with B. Engelken, of Versailles, learning the cabinet maker's trade, working the first six months for no material compensation.  On attaining his majority he embarked in the furniture and undertaking business on his own account at that place, and now has the oldest established house of the kind in Darke county.  He has kept a complete record of all the funerals of which he has had charge since 1867, the date of the same, the name of the deceased and the number of miles traveled.  He has buried over two thousand people.  When he first became connected with the business he manufactured all his own coffins from the rough lumber, often working all night.  He now has two diplomas as an embalmer, one from Professor Clarke at Springfield, Ohio, and the other from Professor Sullivan, of the Indianapolis (Indiana) School of Embalming.  He has one of the finest funeral outfits in the county, and is doing a large and successful business.  Having prospered in his life work, he is now the owner of considerable property, including his business block and residence in Versailles.
     At Versailles, Apr. 1, 1869, Mr. Marker married Miss Girtie Reed, a native of that place and a daughter of J. C. Reed, one of its first business men.  By this union were born four children, namely:  Grace, who was graduated at the Versailles high school, and has successfully engaged in teaching in the same for eight years; James R., also a graduate of the same school, who has engaged in teaching for five years, and is now completing a four-years classical college course; Maud, who was graduated at the Versailles high school and is at home; and Raymond J., who is still in school.
     As a Democrat Mr. Marker has taken an active interest in local politics, and has been honored with a number of offices, having served as a member of the board of health, the school board and as township clerk.  He has been the chief of the fire department almost continuously since 1884, and superintendent of the Greenland Cemetery Company since its organization in 1896.  It is one of the finest cemeteries of Darke county.  Mr. Marker has a fine collection of geological specimens, and Indian, war and family relics, and is interested in the founding of a reading room for young men.  Socially he is a prominent member of the Odd Fellows Lodge, of Versailles, in which he has filled all the chairs, and has served as deputy grand master of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.  He is a member of Lodge No. 290, F. & A. M., and has served as the secretary for a number of years.  Religiously he and all of his family are members of the Christian church.  He has ever taken an active part in its work, was a member of the building committee of the parsonage, and is now serving as the clerk of the church.  In all the relations of life he has been found true to every trust reposed in him, whether public or private, and has done all in his power to advance the interests of his town and county.
Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900 - Page 622

JACOB T. MARTZ, lawyer and educator, Greenville, Ohio, was born in Darke county, Ohio, September 14, 1833.  He is the son of John Martz, who was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, June 1, 1798, settled in Darke county in 1829, and died at the home of his son, January 5 ,1883, aged eighty-four years, seven months and four days.  His wife, Barbara Hardinger, the mother of our subject, and a native of Bedford county, Pennsylvania, died in 1841.
     Jacob T. Martz attended the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, at which institution he was graduated in June, 1856.  During the nine succeeding years he was engaged in teaching, and superintending the schools of Greenville.  During part of this time, and while engaged in teaching, he also read law under Judge D. L. Meeker, and was admitted to the bar in June, 1860.  In March, 1865, he resigned the superintendency of the Greenville school and formed a law partnership with the Hon. J. R. Knox.  In August, 1865, he was appointed receiver of the Cincinnati & Mackinaw Railroad Company, which work occupied his time for nearly five years.  In 1871 the superintendency of the Greenville school was tendered to him without his solicitation.  This he accepted, but at the end of that school year he asked to be relieved by the board of education from further supervision of the school, but his work had been done so well, having brought the schools out of a state of chaos, as it were, to one of order and efficiency, that the board prevailed upon him to continue his good work, which he did for seventeen consecutive years, and closed his labors as superintendent on the 1st of June, 1888.  In this year the enumeration in the district was twelve hundred and eleven, and the enrollment in the school for the year was ten hundred and ninety-eight, showing that ninety-one per cent of the entire enumeration was enrolled upon the school registers, while in efficiency the school stood second to none in the state.  Under his supervision he saw the school grow so steadily that the corps of teachers was increased from four to twenty-two.  When he took charge of the school there was no laboratory, no apparatus and no geological cabinet, except a few ordinary specimens, but in June 1888, over sic hundred dollars and been expended for educational philosophical apparatus of various kinds, and there was a large and convenient laboratory arranged with all the modern conveniences, geographical maps and globes, and physiological charts, enabling the teacher to illustrate and explain all the modern methods of teaching, together with a human skeleton procured, prepared an mounted by Mr. Martz and the janitor of the old school building, and which they have kindly permitted to remain in the laboratory, for the benefit of the students in physiology and hygiene.  The cabinet containing various specimens of value, including the bones of the mastodon found in this county, and which are in a remarkable state of preservation, are the result of Mr. Martz's personal purchase and labor.  During all these years, modern methods of teaching and government were introduced by the superintendent and adopted by the teachers, so that tardiness was measurably controlled by the teacher, and truancy, except in a few chronic cases, was almost a thing of the past.  Order, system and good government prevailed in all the rooms and in the deportment of pupils, while improper language was seldom heard on the play-grounds, and so potent was the influence of the superintendent in maintaining order and decorum among the pupils on the play-ground that it became the pride of all, even the most combative element among the boys, the moment they reached the school grounds to stand upon their good behavior.  The high school course of study contained no more branches than could be mastered by every pupil of ordinary intelligence in the five years given to complete the same, while the elocutionary drill and composition writing, in all the grades of which they were taught, strengthened the memory and exercised the reasoning faculties to the great benefit of the pupils.  No partiality was shown in these exercises as all were expected to do their part.
     The methods of graduation from the high school was Mr. Martz's suggestion and it has been adopted by a least four union schools in this county, and the one hundred and four alumni, all graduated under his supervision, speak of good order, management and efficiency of the school.  Superintendent Martz with two other teachers organized the Darke County Teachers' Association in 1859, and though for several years it struggled for existence, yet by his untiring energy and enthusiasm for its success it increased in numbers and interest almost beyond expectation.  During the greater part of this time he presided over its deliberations.  He was also a member of the board of county school examiners for about twenty-two years, and assisted greatly in advancing the qualifications of the teachers in the county.
     He has also taken an active part in developing the resources of the county, and was for six years secretary of the Darke County Agricultural Society, and was mainly instrumental in selling the old grounds of the society and purchasing the large and commodious grounds it now owns.  For eight years he was secretary of the first building association organized in this county, having closed out the same, and he has been for more than eight years secretary of the largest company of the kind now doing business in the county.  Mr. Martz has always manifested a deep interest in the moral and religious influences in the county, has for a long time been identified with the Methodist Episcopal church, ahs been superintendent of the Sabbath school for a number of years, and for more than eight years has been recording steward of its official board.  For the past years he has been associated with his law partner of 1865 and the mayor of the city of Greenville in the legal profession.  He has also assisted in all the local enterprises that were intended to advance the public good; has been associated with the trustees of the Greenville cemetery as their secretary sine 1865, and assisted in bringing about that order and system which ahs resulted in beautifying, adorning and enlarging those grounds to meet the public wants.
     On September 19, 1860, he married Miss Esther M., daughter of James H. Jamison, of Delaware, Ohio, with issue of four sons; John H., born November 8, 1861; Adelbert, born September 28, 1868; James J., born May 8, 1872, and Benjamin F., born December 18, 1874.  John H. is married and is engaged in farming and raising fine registered stock.  Adelbert  is also married and is teller of the Greenville Bank.  James and Benjamin F. is engaged in farming his father's place.
Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900 - Page 246

Wabash Twp. -
ISAAC N. MEDFORD, teacher, Sec. 5; North Star.  The subject of this sketch was born in Licking Co., Ohio, Dec. 24, 1845, and is the son of James and Sarah (Miller) Medford; his father was born in Virginia in 1802 and died in 1861; his mother was born in 1812 and died in 1868.  Mr. Isaac Medford came into this county with his parents in the spring of 1846 and settled in York Township.  He enlisted in the 152d O. N. G. May 2, 1864; he then re-enlisted in the 187th O. V. I. Feb. 11, 1865, and was mustered out of the service at Macon, Ga., Jan. 20, 1866.  Mr. Medford was joined in the holy bonds of wedlock to Miss Annie Wagner in Sept., 1876, in Darke Co.; his wife was born in Mercer County, Feb. 18, 1858.  He is a Republican in politics, and has been Justice of the Peace for two years, which office he now holds.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880. - Page  762

URIAH MEDFORD.  The commercial activity of New Weston is largely promoted through the enterprising efforts of Mr. Medford, who is engaged in the undertaking and farm implement business. He is also identified with agricultural interests, being the owner of one of the finest farms of Darke county. He was born in Wabash township, this county, on the 21st day of May, 1857, and is of English. lineage, his great-grandfather, William Medford, having been a native of England. His grandfather, Charles Medford, was a farmer of Darke county and died in this locality when about seventy years of age. He was twice married and reared a large number of children, but all of his children are now deceased. George D. Medford, the father of our subject, was born in Franklin. county, Ohio, December 6, 1827, and died in Kansas in 1893, at the age of sixty-six years. He wedded Mary Ann Gates, who was born in Chittenden county, Vermont, February 20, 1828, their wedding taking place October 26, 1847, in Ohio. There they began their domestic life upon a farm and. their union was blessed with six children, namely: Myron C., of Dayton, Ohio, who has one son; Matilda B., who became the wife of J. M. Rose and the mother of four children, and died in middle life; Charles, a. farmer of Wabash township, who has nine children, three sons and six daughters; J. C., who is living in Darke county and has four children; Uriah, of this review; and Irene, the wife of J. H. Spencer, of Hollanshurg, by whom she has two children. After the death of the mother of these children George D. Medford wedded Augenette Orput, and they had two children, George Guy and Stanley, both of whom are residents of Kansas.
     Mr. Medford, whose name stands at the head of this sketch, was reared to farm life on the old family homestead and enjoyed the educational privileges afforded by the common schools of the neighborhood. At the age of sixteen he started out in life on his own account and went to Buchanan county, Iowa, where he engaged in farming in connection with his eldest brother for four years. They then sold their property there and Uriah Medford went to the far west, spending two years in Washington and California. On the expiration of that period he returned to Ohio, and, wishing to better prepare himself for life's responsible duties, he pursued a course of study in the business college in Greenville. He then visited his father in Virginia and in the spring of 1882 he purchased a farm in Wabash township, which he cultivated through a tenant, with whom he made his home for some years.
     On the 7th of October, 1886, Mr. Medford was united in marriage to Linnie Cottrell, of Wabash township, a daughter of A. S. Cottrell, who resides with Mr. Medford, his own wife having died, as well as nearly all of their children. Mr. and Mrs. Medford have lost their only child, an infant daughter. In his business affairs our subject has prospered and is today the owner of two hundred and twenty-one acres of rich and valuable land comprised within two farms in Wabash township and which are improved with good buildings and are under a high state of cultivation. He is also engaged in the farm implement business in New Weston, and in connection with E. C. Richardson is engaged in the undertaking business. His well directed efforts have been crowned with a high degree of success and all who are familiar with his straightforward business methods agree that his prosperity is well deserved. During the World's Fair in Chicago he was a member of the Columbian Guards. Both he and his wife hold membership, in the Methodist church, taking an active part in its work and he is serving as a steward and trustee. Socially he is a Master Mason, belonging to the lodge at Ansonia, and politically he is a Democrat. He has twice served as township assessor and for three terms was a justice of the peace. In both offices he discharged his duties with marked promptness and fidelity, and at all times he has been found true to every trust and obligation reposed in him. During the greater part of his life he has been a resident of Darke county, is familiar with its history, its progress and its upbuilding, and has given a hearty support to all measures calculated to promote the general welfare. In manner he is free from ostentation, is genial and courteous and the circle of his friends is extensive.
Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900 - Page 706

DAVID L. MEEKER.  Perhaps the public record of no man in Darke county has extended over a longer period than that of Judge David L. Meeker, and certainly none has been more fearless in conduct, more faultless in honor and more stainless in reputation. He served for nearly twenty years as judge on the common pleas bench, and his career was marked by the utmost fidelity to duty, while a comprehensive knowledge of law and great accuracy in applying the principles of jurisprudence to the points in litigation won him high standing among the legal fraternity.
     Judge Meeker was born in Darke county, Ohio, on the 18th of July, 1827, a son of David M. and Nancy Ann (Miller) Meeker. The former, a native of Newark, New Jersey, came to Ohio in 1802, when about ten years of age, and for a time worked in brickyards in Cincinnati. On attaining his majority he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, following farming for a short time in Hamilton county, Ohio, whence he removed to Darke county, settling within its borders when it was a wild region almost on the extreme limit of frontier civilization. There the remainder of his life was passed in the work of transforming the wilderness into a pro­ductive farm, and, by the assistance of his wife rearing a large family of children, who have honored his memory and added lustre to his name.  He died in 1852, respected by all who knew him.
     Upon his father's farm Judge Meeker spent his boyhood, becoming familiar with all of the hard Work and discomfort of clearing the land and cultivating the soil when the financial reward of agriculture was scarcely greater than the advantages offered for education. He attended the school in his native district a portion of each year and enjoyed the limited amusements which the country afforded. The privations of pioneer life were more than offset by the helpfulness of neighbors and the genuine, unpretentious hospitality characteristic of the occupants of log cabins in pioneer times. When sufficiently advanced in his studies he was employed in teaching the district school for several winters and extended his studies to the advanced. branches in the academy, which marked the progressive instincts of the people among whom he lived. While engaged in teaching he directed his course of reading with a view to entering the legal profession as soon as the opportunity offered.
     His preliminary study of the law was prosecuted under the instruction of the late Judge Ebenezer Parsons, of Miami county, and he was admitted to the bar in June, 1851, For almost a year thereafter he was traveling-in the west, and it was not until 1853 that he settled in Greenville for the practice of his profession. The discipline acquired by study and teaching the habits of industry formed and his close application to books, together with an excellent natural capacity, qualified him for success in the law.  He made his way unaided among the attorneys of the county and soon established himself as a lawyer. In 1856 he was elected prosecuting attorney for the county and reelected in 1858, serving four years. His preference for the practice of law rather than the duties of public office was so pronounced that he yielded reluctantly to the solicitation of friends to accept even the judgeship. He persistently declined to permit the use of his name as a candidate for congress, although he was frequently urged to become a nominee for that important position. In 1861 he was elected judge of the common pleas court of the first subdivision of the second judicial district for a term of five years, but resigned after four years of service and was succeeded by Judge William Allen. Resuming the practice, he was permitted to continue it without interruption until October, 1872, when he was appointed judge by Governor Noyes, on the unanimous recommendation and petition of the bar in every county of the judicial district. This appointment was for the unexpired portion of the term to which Judge McKemy had been elected. Judge Meeker's service on the bench was so acceptable to all the people that he was chosen at the next election for the position without opposition. Both of the leading political parties nominated him, and the members of the bar without dissent recommended his election. After this he was reelected for two terms and declined a third because of failing health.
     It is given to few men to enjoy the public confidence to a degree that disarms all political opposition. The example of Judge Meeker is almost unique. Although a member of the Democratic party and a partisan, in the sense of supporting its principles and candidates, he was known to be so fair and impartial as to be universally trusted by political adherents and .political adversaries alike.
     The Judge was married, on the 18th of June, 1857, to Miss Mary A. Deardorff, of Darke county, and to them were born eight children: Frank D., who married Emma Anderson, of Franklin,, and is engaged in the real estate and loan business in Greenville; Sadie E., who is the wife of D. L. Gaskill, who was associated in the practice of law with her father; Walter S., who was also his; father's partner, married Minnie Lowry;. Mary C., who is the wife of J. R. Smith, a druggist, of Dayton, Ohio; Nana, who is. the wife of Dr. S. A. Hawes, of Arcanum, Ohio; Virginia G., who is the wife of W. H. Gilbert, an attorney at law, of Troy, Ohio; Alice M., who is the wife of A. R. Crawford, of Ventura, California, where he is serving as deputy clerk of the court; and Carrie W.; at home. The mother of these children died November 21, 1876, and the Judge was afterward married, on the 5th of September, 1878, to Miss Jennie D. Crisler, of Eaton, Preble county, a lady of many accomplishments, who presided over his household with dignity and grace, assisting him to dispense. the hospitality for which his home was noted. She is a native of Ohio. Her father, Albert G. Crisler; was born in 1810 in Culpeper. county, Virginia; and her mother, Ann nee Foos, was born in Pennsylvania in 1812.
     They were married in 1831 in Preble county, Ohio. The mother died February 28, 1857, and the father passed away October 19, 1857, near Columbus, Indiana.
     Mrs. Meeker attended the country schools in her early girlhood, but later enjoyed, and took advantage of the privileges afforded by a private school. At the age of sixteen she began teaching and followed that profession for a few years, when she went to reside with her uncle, J. H. Foos, a prominent attorney of Eaton, Preble county, Ohio.  After her marriage to Mr. Meeker she took change of his household, discharged faithfully all the duties of helpmate, and at once took a motherly part in caring: for, educating and advising his eight children in the moral and religious duties of life, the youngest child being at the time only three years of age. After the death of the Judge she erected her present residence from a fund set apart by him, and with the request that after his death a new dwelling house should be built for her because it required too much care and expense to keep the former residence—a palatial brick—in proper condition. The new dwelling was planned by Mrs. Meeker, assisted by her stepson, Walter S. Meeker. It is modern in architectural design, neat, and commodious in all its appointments. Mrs. Meeker is an acceptable member of the First Presbyterian church, is consistent in her professions, and her life of Christian fortitude may well be imitated by all.
     Judge Meeker's tastes were essentially domestic, and he found at home the pleasure some men seek at the club. The time not necessarily devoted to business was spent in the society of his family and among the inspiring, renewing influences of home. One of the leading lawyers of the district has furnished a characterization of him substantially in. the following terms:  Judge Meeker filled a place in the history of this judicial district that is creditable to himself and honorable to the profession. A judge for a period of almost twenty years, he retired from the bench with the highest respect of the profession and admiration of the public. He was always a close student, and when in practice was known as a hard working lawyer, and likewise a successful one. His greatest reputation, however, will rest on his work as a judge. His judgeship was almost unerring. He possessed what is termed a legal mind; understood thoroughly the principles of the law; was painstaking in his investigations, and accurate in his decisions. He was always fearless and impartial in the discharge of every duty. There has never been on the bench in the history of this judicial district a judge who held the confidence of the profession to a greater degree. His. personal popularity was unbounded. Nature made him a gentleman, and he made himself a lawyer. One of the sources of his popularity was undoubtedly his unassuming manners, unfeigned cordiality, his fine sensibilities, and readiness to help his fellowmen. Both in the relations of private citizenship and in public office, Judge Meeker's life was irreproachable. Not. only was he an able jurist, but also a successful business man. He possessed one of the finest homes in the county, accumulated a competence and left a valuable estate.
     Judge Meeker died suddenly, September 5, 1896, at his home in Greenville. While at the supper table he was stricken with partial paralysis, which became complete a few minutes later, causing a painless death within three hours. The tributes to his character and worthiness, expressed in a memorial meeting of the bar and in the funeral service, were hearty and sincere. They testified that he was not only an incorruptible judge but also scrupulously, delicately and conscientiously free from all willful wrong, in thought, word or deed. His uniform kindness and patience to the younger members of the bar were marked. In later years he was accustomed to recount for the edification of the young lawyers his own early struggles to secure success, the discouragements he encountered and the difficulties he had overcome. He was not a dreamer in any idle sense, but as a boy looked forward hopefully, spurred to his best endeavors by high aspirations. In a paper read at his funeral by D. W. Bowman, a former law partner, it is said that throughout a career of nearly half a century at the bar and on the bench, the day dream of his boyhood, the cherished desire of his heart in youth, was never lost sight of, but kept in full view. With this noble longing for professional success he wore the judicial ermine for twenty years, and laid it aside as spotless as when it first touched his shoulders. He achieved a fame that posterity will not willingly let die.
Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900 - Page 626

FREDERICK MEIER, deceased, was one of the early German settlers of Greenville township, Darke county, Ohio, a man of sterling worth and highly esteemed for his many excellent qualities of mind and heart. Frederick Meier was born in Haseling, Province of Hesse, Germany, December 25, 1802, one of a family of nine children. According to the German custom he attended the public schools from the time he was six until he was fourteen and then learned a trade. His trade, that of cabinetmaker, he learned in his father's shop, under his father's instructions, and he followed it throughout his life. His first wife, whose maiden name was Gustena Wissel, bore him three children, Charles and Caroline, and one that died in early life in Germany. His second wife, Gustena Klemme, he also married in Germany, April 15, 1850. With his wife and three children, he embarked from Bremen for Baltimore, which port they reached in safety after a voyage of four weeks and four days. From Baltimore they started west via the canal, their destination being Darke county, Ohio, and after about a month's travel by water and team they landed in Greenville township. Mr. Meier's capital at this time consisted of about six hundred dollars. With this he purchased forty acres of land, which had on it a little "clearing" and a small cabin, and here he established his home. His money all in­vested it was necessary for him to go to work at once to supply the immediate wants of his family. Work at his trade brought him sixty cents a day and this, with what his son, Charles, could earn, was sufficient to keep the family in food. His land was nearly all under water and it required much labor and time to clear and drain it so that satisfactory crops could be raised. This however, was finally accomplished and the land yielded a support for the family. Meantime Mr. Meier continued work at his trade, traveling about from place to place until he was too old to work. He died January 20, 1885, and is wife March 29, 1888; both are buried in St. John's cemetery. For many years they were identified with the Lu­theran church. Mr. Meier was prominent in the organization of St. John's church, giving freely of both his labor and money to assist the enterprise and for many years he was one of its official members. The children of his second wife were six in number, but all are now deceased, and his son, Charles, above referred to, is the only living representative of the family.
     Charles Meier was born in Germany January 19, 1836; was educated in the common schools and confirmed in the Lutheran church, and at the time he came with his father and family to this country was four­teen years old. He assisted his father in the improvement of the farm above referred to and also worked out on other farms and thus at an early age aided in the support of the family. He married Miss Augusta Krickeberg, a daughter of Frederick and Charlotte (Sigsmend) Krickeberg, German people, who settled in Brown township, Darke county, Ohio, in 1852. The date of their marriage was February 9, 1863, and since then they have lived on the old homestead farm, which now comprises one hundred and forty acres, and in addition to this farm he owns other land. The home farm is well improved and nearly all under cul­tivation. the beautiful residence having been erected in 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Meier have had six children, four of whom are living, Charles, Mena, Caroline and John, and all except the youngest are married and settled .in life. The deceased children were Sophia and Frederick.
In his political views Mr. Meier is what is termed an independent. In 1863 he was drafted into the Union army and served four weeks, at the end of which time he hired a substitute, for whom he paid nine hundred and eighty-five dollars, and received his discharge.
Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900 - Page 707

BERNHARD MENKE.  Among the worthy citizens that the fatherland has furnished to the new world is Bernhard Menke, the popular tailor of Greenville. He was born in Cloppenburg, Germany, January 16, 1845, his parents being Joseph and Frances (Hill) Menke. The father was a farmer by occupation, and both parents died in their native land. Their son Bernhard was the second in a family of six children. At the age of six years he entered school, where he pursued his studies until fourteen years of age in accordance with the laws of his native land. He then learned the tailor's trade, serving for three years. On the completion of his apprenticeship he was employed as a journeyman in the fatherland until 1868, when he bade adieu to home and friends and sailed for the United States, landing at Baltimore, Maryland.   He made his way thence direct to Dayton, Ohio, where he worked at his trade for one year, and in 1869 he came to Greenville, Ohio, where he was employed by the firm of Chenoweth & Haberling, merchant tailors.  Subsequently he entered the service of Moses Hughn, by whom he has been employed for the past thirty years.   He is particularly expert as a coat maker and is now the oldest tailor engaged in active business in Greenville. As the years have passed his financial resources have been increased, and he is now the possessor of good and valuable city property. Indolence and idleness are utterly foreign to his nature, but in consequence he does not wish to put aside business care and continues in the active prosecution of his trade.
     In his twenty-seventh year Mr. Menke was married to Miss Susannah Bashore, the eldest daughter of Jacob G. Bashore, of Webster, Ohio. Their union has been blessed with seven children: Ann, now the wife of Henry E. Mohler; Jacob, a tailor; Joseph, who occupies the position of teller in the Farmers National Bank, of Greenville; Ida, at home; Orville, Chester and Barnard. They also lost two children in infancy. The mother of Mrs. Menke was Sarah (Miller) Bashore, and her death occurred in 1892, in her seventy-second year. The father, Jacob G. Bashore, was one of the early settlers of Darke county, and died within its borders in his sixty-ninth year.
     Mr. and Mrs. Menke are widely known in Greenville and have a large circle of friends. They occupy a pleasant residence here, and also own two or three dwellings in the city, besides some good business houses, which he rents and a forty-acre farm in Wayne township, which is under a high state of cultivation. He has never had occasion to regret his determination to seek a home in America, for here, where opportunity is unhampered, he has worked his wav steadily upward and his advancement along well defined lines of labor has secured to him merited financial reward.
Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900 - Page 581

THOMAS B. MILLER, superintendent of the Darke County Infirmary, is a man well known in this county, where he was born and where he has passed his life. The Millers were among the pioneers of Darke county. George Miller, the grandfather of Thomas B., was a native of. Pennsylvania, in which state he wedded Margaret Kaskey, a native of the Emerald Isle. In 1816 they. removed with their family from Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, to Ohio, and took up their abode in Harrison township, Darke county, where they passed the rest of their lives. He died at the age of seventy-four years. Their son John, the father of Thomas B., was born in Lancaster county, in 1815, the year before their removal to this state. Here he was reared and married, his wife, whose maiden name was Mary A. McGee, being a native of Ohio. She died in 1854. Of their children, eight in number, one died at the age of twelve years, and those who reached adult age are as follows: George W., Thomas B., Martha E., Henry B., Mary I. and Margaret P. All are living excepting Francis R.   Mary I. is the wife of C. W. Moore, and Margaret P. is now Mrs. Luther Black.
     Thomas B. Miller was born on his fa­ther's farm May 22, 1847, was reared to farm life, and received his education in the district school. He was yet a school boy when the civil war broke out, but before it closed he offered his services to the Union and proved himself a true soldier. It was in 1864 that he enlisted, and as a member of the One Hundred arid Eighty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, com­manded by Colonel Dawson, he entered the service. His term of enlistment was spent chiefly in garrison duty.
     Receiving an honorable discharge from the army in 1866, Mr. Miller returned to Darke county and engaged in farming and stock-raising, which he continued for some time. Then for a number of years he carried on a mercantile business in Greenville. In 1890 he was appointed superintendent of the Darke County Infirmary, which position he has since filled, having been reappointed from time to time. The infirmary buildings were burned in 1897, but were im­mediately rebuilt on a much larger scale, and are now ranked with the best county infirmary buildings in the state of Ohio.  Under Mr. Miller's management the institution is one in which the county has reason to take pride; everything is neat and orderly and the inmates are well cared for.
     Mr. Miller was married in 1877 to Miss Elizabeth McGrew, a native of Preble county, and a daughter of Patrick McGrew.  They are the parents of three children: Arthur V., Edna B. and Harry C.
Politically Mr. Miller is a stanch Democrat, has a voice in the councils of his party, and has frequently served as delegate to county and state conventions. He is a member of Jobes Post, No. 147, Grand Army of the Republic.
Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900 - Page 751

THOMAS C. MILLER, a member of the Darke county bar, was born in West Milton, Miami county, February 25, 1841, upon a farm. His father, Samuel Miller, was a native of Virginia, born in Charleston, in 1801. He learned the miller's trade and followed that pursuit for many years. In early manhood he removed to Ohio, and in this state was married to Margaret Bowman, a native of Chillicothe, Ohio. Subsequently they removed to Miami county, where Mr. Miller followed his chosen vocation for many years. In 1860 he came with his family to Darke county, locating in Arcanum, where he remained for a number of years, and then returned to Miami county, where his death occurred in 1874. His wife, who survived him for some time, died in Greenville in 1890.
     Thomas C. Miller, whose name forms the caption of this sketch, was the only child born to his parents. He spent his boyhood days in the vicinity of his native town and pursued his education in the common schools, and afterward assisted his father in the work of the farm and the operation of the mill; but, not content to devote his energies to industrial pursuits, he determined to enter professional life and to this end began reading law under the direction of Hon. E. P. Kellogg, of West Milton, now a prominent lawyer of Columbus, Ohio. Mr. Miller was admitted to the bar at Troy, this state, and began practice in Bedford, Ohio, where he remained for twelve years. On the expiration of that period he removed to Greenville, where he has since devoted his attention assiduously to the practice of his profession and the duties it involves. He is recognized as one of the leading lawyers of the Greenville bar, and his devotion to his clients' interests is proverbial.
     Mr. Miller has been twice married, and by the first union had three children: Perry. E., William E. and Lemuel E. His present wife bore the maiden name of Miss Anna Gundell. She was born in Darke county, was a daughter of Benjamin Gundell, an old resident of this county, and at the time of their marriage was the widow of Henry Beard.
     During the civil war Mr. Miller manifested his loyalty to his country by enlisting in the One Hundred and Tenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under the command of Captain Jason Young and Colonel J. Warren Keifer. The regiment was ordered to Virginia, and in the south he faithfully served until 1865. He participated in a number of engagements and skirmishes, and also spent some time in the hospital, and when the war was ended received an honorable discharge, in July, 1865. He is a member of the Frizelle Post, No. 227, G. A. R., and is as true and faithful to the duties of citizenship in times of peace as when he followed the starry banner upon the battlefields of the south. His life has marked a steady advance in his profession, and by his careful preparation of cases, combined with keen power of analysis, he has won many notable forensic combats.

Mississinawa Twp. -
JOHN MILLIGAN, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 32; P. O. Union City; was born in Perry Co., Penn.; he came West with his parents and settled in Shelby Co.; from there they moved to Randolph Co., Ind.; he came to Darke Co. in 1862, and settled on his father-in-law's farm, in Sec. 32, Mississinawa Township; he then moved near Union City, and lived two years, then moved on to his present farm, in 1868.  He married Miss Rominah Carter June 29, 1850; she was born in Hamilton Co., Ohio; twelve children have been the fruit of this union, seven of whom are now living, viz., Emeretta, Marguretha, Mary C., William F., Sarah P., John W. and Ella K.  Mr. Milligan owns 120 acres of fine land, which is situated in Secs. 28 and 32; he has been Township Trustee for twelve years which office he now holds; he has taken an active part in religion for the last six years, and is a member of the Methodist Church.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio -1880. - Page 762

JOHN MOHLER is a popular young farmer of Franklin township, Darke county, and is a representative of one of the pioneer fam­ilies of.. Ohio. His grandfather, Rudolph Mohler, was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, February 6, 1801, and married Susanna Souman, who was born in that county on the 12th of December, 1801. At an early period in the development of the Buckeye, state they came to Miami county, locating on a farm near the Sugar Grove church in Newberry township. There the wife died, after which Mr. Mohler made his home with his children, dying at the residence of his son, Samuel Mohler, in Miami county. He had three children by his first marriage, namely: William, who was born October 3, 1823, and died September 29, 1851; Mary, who was born May 3, 1825, and is the wife of George Croft, of Darke county; and Ephraim, who was born November 10, 1856, and married Mary Annie Neal. After the death of his first wife the grandfather married Elizabeth Miller, who was born July 31, 1801, and their children were: Henry, who was born May 14, 1829, married Harriet Deeter; Jacob, the father of our subject; Sarah, who was born January 2, 1833, became the wife of Henry Deeter and died August 20, 1863; Susanna, who was born July 21, 1834, is the wife of William Shellabarger, of Covington; John, who was born December 8, 1835, is now living in Missouri with his wife, who bore the maiden name of Mary Ann Miller; Samuel, of Miami county, was born March 27, 1837, and married Sally Miller; Rudolph, who was born March 18, 1839, and married Fannie Etter; Daniel, of Missouri, was born October 2, 1842, and wedded Maria Mowry and both died in Miami county; and Hannah, who was born January 29, 1845, became the wife of Justice Deeter.
     Jacob Mohler, the father of our sub­ject, was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, March 15, 1830, and when fifteen years of age accompanied his parents oh their removal to Miami county. The journey was made by wagon, Jacob walking the greater part of the distance. His father had previously made a trip to Ohio on horse­back and purchased the farm in Newberry township upon which Jacob was reared to manhood. Having attained his majority, he was married, on the 15th of January, 1852, to Miss Eidelia, a daughter of John S. and Sarah (Reed) Deeter and granddaughter of David and Elizabeth (Stutzman) Deeter. The Deeter family removed from Pennsylvania to Preble county, Ohio, and later settled in Miami county. After their marriage Mr. Jacob Mohler operated the Sugar Grove mill for seven years and then purchased the farm now known as the Teague place in Newberry township. That property he old to Joseph Teague for the latter's farm in Franklin township, Darke county, and on that place he died May 28, 1898, after a long and useful life. He was much respected and was a faithful member of the German Baptist church, with which he united in 1852. In politics he was a Republican.. His wife still survives him, and by her marriage she became the mother of the following children: Allen, who was born January 27, 1856, and died in infancy; Sarah E., who was born July 18, 1857, and also died in infancy; Elizabeth, who was born December 10, 1858, and became the wife of Aaron Shellabarger, of Franklin township; Mary A., who was born April 6, 1861, and died in infancy; Martha, who was born January 15, 1863, and is the wife of Jonathan Cool, of Franklin township; Rudolph, born November 22, 1865; Mina, born January 10, 1868, and now the wife of William Penny, of Franklin township; and John.
     John Mohler was born January 30, 1870, on his father's farm in Newberry township, and in the public schools of the neighborhood he acquired a good education, fitting him for life's practical duties. He engaged in the cultivation of the home farm, both before and after his marriage, which important event occurred in 1890, Miss Lizzie Knutt, a daughter of George Franklin Knutt, becoming his wife. After his mar­riage Mr. Mohler purchased and located upon his present farm, which comprises twelve and a quarter acres. He is very enterprising and progressive in his farming methods and carefully cultivates his land so that it yields to him a good tribute in return for the labor he bestows upon it. In politics he is an independent Republican and keeps well informed on the issues of the day. Socially he is connected with several organizations, including the Knights of Pythias fraternity and the Improved Order of Red Men at Bradford. His genial manner and social disposition and sterling worth have made him popular, and he is known as one of the leading young agriculturists of the county.
Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900 - Page 242

ALFERD MONGEVILLE; P. O. Versailles; son of Gerard and Mary Margaret Mongeville; was born in Darke County, 1850.  Was united in marriage with Ella Yates, of Versailles.
(Source:  History of Darke County, Ohio - Publ. 1880 - Page 617)


JOHN HERSCHEL MORNINGSTAR.  This well-known business man of Greenville, Darke county, Ohio, was born in that town, January 3, 1851, and is a son of William H. and Elizabeth (Wagner) Morningstar. The father was born near Xenia, in Greene county, Ohio, September 5, 1805, and in early life followed farming, but later he was for many years engaged in mercantile pursuits in Greenville, where he settled in 1840. He continued in active business there until within a short time of his death, which occurred December 28, 1886. His wife, the mother of our subject, died in Greenville, April 7, 1869. Her parents were George and Sarah (Stevens) Wagner. Her father was a native of Pennsylvania and an early settler of Darke county, Ohio. At an early day he came to this county, and spent the remainder of his life in German township.
     Reared in Greenville, John H. Morningstar acquired his early education in its public schools. Later he was a student at Chickering Institute, in Cincinnati, and subsequently took a commercial course at Eastman's College, Poughkeepsie, New York. Soon after his return home he was united in marriage with Miss Jennie Ferguson, a daughter of Robert H. and Mary A. (Turner) Ferguson, of Dayton, Ohio.
     Mr. Morningstar embarked in the confectionery business in Greenville soon after his marriage, March I, 1877, and has since successfully engaged in that line of trade. For thirty years he has dealt in ice. He owns a beautiful park containing a small lake skirted by one thousand fruit trees. He has provided a good band stand, boats and seats for the convenience of his guests, and many other accommodations. It has become a popular resort during the warm season, and is frequented by large crowds of pleasure-seekers. Being a pleasant, genial gentleman, Mr. Morningstar thoroughly. understands the best methods of conducting such an enterprise. Socially he is a member of the Knights of Pythias fraternity.
Source: A biographical history of Darke County, Ohio - Evansville, Ind. 1900 - Page 657

Washington Twp. -
JAMES N. MORRISON, Justice of the Peace and farmer, Sec. 4; P. O. Hill Grove.  He was born in Montgomery Co., Ohio, July 28, 1834, and moved to Darke Co. with his parents in 1841; his father, Nathaniel Morrison, was born in Virginia and his mother, Catharine (Ludy) Morrrison, in Maryland; they first settled in Butler Township; in 1863, James N. moved to Hill Grove and entered into general merchandising business; sold out in the fall of 1865 and went into the live-stock business, which he followed two years, then went to farming and huckstering; at this time in addition to his official duties, he gave his attention to farming; he was elected Justice of the Peace in April, 1871; was appointed Postmaster at Hill Grove Feb. 23, 1877.  He is a member of the church of United Brethren in Christ.  Nov. 1, 1857, he was married to Amanda Nyswonger, daughter of Daniel Nyswonger, of Butler Township, this county, and has had ten children, viz., Frank D., John H. M., Laura A., Floretta F., Charles E., Emma E., William G., James E. (deceased), Myrtle M. and George.
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880
- Page 756

CHARLES R. MUSSON is a man whose colleagues upon newspaper work admit that he possesses industry, zeal, a real love of his work, clever wit, and an individual style, combined with a high ideal of journalism to which he subordinates any desire for material advancement which may conflict with his principles.  These qualities have placed him in the editorial chair of the Arcanum Enterprise of Arcanum, Ohio.  He was born at St. Paris, Champaign county, Ohio, Oct. 31, 1855 a son of Dr. John J. and Caroline (Rogers) Musson, and grandson of John Musson and his wife were born in Virginia, but became pioneers of Highland county, Ohio, where he died when still a comparatively young man.  His widow survived him for nine years, when she, too, passed away.  John J. Musson was their only child.  The reason for the family migration from Virginia to Ohio was the feeling entertained by James Musson towards the slavery question.  Although his people had been slave owners for many yeas, and he inherited some, he could not feel that the practice was right, and freed those who had come to him, and made his way to another State where he would not be compelled to go against his conscientious scruples.  Charles Rogers, the maternal grandfather of Charles R. Musson was a native of New Jersey, where his wife was also born.  By trade he was a carriage builder, but when he and his wife came to Champaign county, Ohio, he did some farming.  His death occurred in his new home when he was eighty-four years old, his wife having died at the age of fifty years.  They had three children:  Caroline, Charles L. and John S.|
     Dr. John J. Musson
was a native of Ohio, but his wife was born in New Jersey.  Early deciding upon a medical career, he took a course at Starling Medical College of Columbus, Ohio, from which he was graduated, and then practiced at St. Paris, Ohio, for half a century, dying there in 1899, aged over seventy years.  His wife died at the same place Jan. 13, 1873, aged forty-one years, firm in the faith of the Methodist church, of which she was an earnest member.  Doctor Musson was a Mason.  At one time he represented his district in which Champaign county was included, in the State Legislature, held various local offices, and had charge of the inspection of the internal revenue office, department of Ohio.  He and his wife, who had come to Ohio in young girlhood, had five children: Ada B., who resides at Washburn, N. D., having been one of the early teachers at that point; Charles R., whose name heads this review; Mary, who is the widow of D. L. Glendenning, Flint, Mich.; John L., who resides at Washburn, N. D., and Callie, who resides at Los Angeles, Cal.
     Charles R. Musson was reared at St. Paris, Ohio, and educated in its public schools.  Following his leaving school, he began learning to be a printer with the St. Paris Erie Dispatch, later having charge of it from 1874 to 1889.  In the latter year he came to Arcanum, Ohio, buying the Arcanum Enterprise, which he has issued continuously ever since. Prior to locating at Arcanum he studied law for two yeas, abut has never practiced, but his knowledge gained in his reading along this line has broadened his outlook and his range of information.  His newspaper occupies a recognized place among those devoted to the support and spread of democratic principles, for Mr. Musson is a stanch Democrat.  He was pos-office inspector under President Cleveland for two years, and superintendent of printing at the Soldiers and Sailors' Home at Xenia, Ohio.  Locally he has held some of the municipal offices, and is a man whose devotion to his party and his desire to secure the progressive improvement of his community, is a genuine and forceful.  On April 29, 1880, Charles R. Musson was married to Miss Caroline (McGrew) Snyder, and they had five children: Samuel J., who is in the treasurer's office of the National Cash Register at Dayton, Ohio, married Ida Klugel, and they have a son, Robert; Florence A. married A. C. Crossman, they live at Detroit, Mich., and have a daughter Gertrude; Marie J., Ruth A. and Mabel C., the last three of whom live at home.
     Mrs. Musson was born at Westville, Champaign county, Ohio, Mar. 16, 1858.  Her father was born in Ohio, and her mother in Indiana, and both are now deceased.  They had seven children
Source: History of Darke County, Ohio - From its earliest Settlement to the Present Time - Vol. II - Milford, Ohio - The Hobart Publ. Co. - 1914 - pg. 187

<BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX FOR DARKE COUNTY, OHIO>

CLICK HERE to Return to
DARKE COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights