.


OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


 

Welcome to
Coshocton County, Ohio

BIOGRAPHIES

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

 < BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX>

 
WILLIAM M. EARLEY, Oxford township; farmer; Evansburgh; was born in this township in 1854m and was married September 21, 1873, to Miss Emma McIntire in Pennsylvania.  Their children are, Rebecca Jane, deceased, Desmond, deceased, and Seburtis Mack.  They are members of the M. E. Church in West Lafayette.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
DAVID EASTER, Bedford township; farmer; postoffice, Tunnel Hill; born in 1820 in Fayette county.  Pennsylvania, and came to this county in 1830.  His father was born in 1783 in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, and died in 1839, his wife in 1871.  They were the parents of ten children; David being the eighth child.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
RICHARD ECKELS, Jackson township; postoffice, Roscoe; born in Belmont county, Ohio, in 1816, settled in this county, in 1822; son of Thomas and Margaret (Porterfield) Eckels, and grandson of Richard and Elizabeth Eckels and of Gabriel and Jane Porterfield;  married in 1842 to Martha Porterfield (first wife), and in 1849, to Mary E. Nichols, daughter of John and Rachel Nichols.  Mr. Eckels the father of ten children, seven living and three dead.  Three are married, two living in this county, one in Columbus, Ohio.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
C. C. ECKERT, Coshocton; proprietor of C. O. D. store, grocer, baker and dealer in produce, No. 430 Main street, Coshocton, Ohio.  Mr. Eckert was born in Ragersville, Tuscarawas county, August 22, 1850.  His first business engagement was with his father under the firm name of C. A. Eckert & Son, in general merchandising, in which he continued about six years.  He then went west and engaged in dealing in groceries and miner's supplies at Central City, Dakota, where he remained one year, after which he returned to Coshocton in 1877, and established his present business.  He occupies pleasant and commodious rooms in the Eckert block, where he carries a large, first class stock of staple and fancy groceries and confectioneries.  He also deals in all kinds of country produce, and has a large bakery attached, where he does an extensive business in baking bread, plain and fancy cakes and pies of all kinds.  He also roasts all grades of coffees, which are of a very superior quality.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
J. M. EDWARDS, M. D., Pike township; born in 1830, in this county.  His father was born in 1799, in Baltimore county, Maryland, and came to this county about 1825.  He was married in 1828, to Miss Catharine Lee, of this county, who was born in 1804, in Pennsylvania.  He died in 1875, she died in 1874.  They were the parents of two children, Dr. Edwards being the oldest.  He began reading medicine in 1853, under Dr. Russell, of Mt. Vernon, and attended his first course of lectures in 1855-6, and graduated in 1857.  He has been here ever since.  He was married in 1847, to Miss Sarah S. Marquand, of this county.  She was born in 1833, in this county.  They are the parents of five children, viz:  Belle B., Russell C.; Birdie, deceased, Edwin S. and Gracie.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
HENRY EHRICH, Crawford township; shoemaker; born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1850.  Son of Nicholas Ehrich and Margaret (Nye) Ehrich, both natives of the State of Bavaria.  Mr. Ehrich emigrated to America, February 23, 1869, and located in Massillon.  He worked as a hand in the shop, until 1873, when he opened a shop of his own in Chili, and still continues to work at his trade there.  In August, 1873, he married Catharine Shoemaker, of Crawford township.  Her parents, William Shoemaker and Margaret (Wentz) Shoemaker, are both of German ancestry.  Mr. Ehrich has a family of three children:  Charles Jacob, born June 12, 1874; Margaret, August 23, 1877; Eliza J., January 23, 1879.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
CYRUS ELDER, Jefferson township; born January 25, 1834, in Jefferson township, Coshocton, county, Ohio on the farm where he now lives; son of John, a native of Antrim county, Ireland, and Esther (McConnell) Elder, and grandson of John Elder and John McConnell, natives of Ireland.  Mr. Elder came to Virginia in 1804, and remained there till 1806, when he came to Coshocton county, where he lived till his death, in 1852.  At that time his sons, Cyrus and William became possessors of the home farm.  They have since divided it, Cyrus getting the homestead, 310 acres.  He was married to Miss Mary A. Waite, October 4, 1866, daughter of John and Mary (Boyd) Waite and granddaughter of William and Sarah (Maines) Boyd, and of William and Margaret (Milligan) Waite.  Their children were Elwood, William J., Honorah M., John F. and James H.  Mr. Elder was in the 100-day's service, a member of Company E., One Hundred and forty-third regiment, O. N. G.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
ANDREW ELLIOTT, Perry township; post-office, New Guilford; born in West Virginia, in 1798; son of John and Charity Elliott; married in 1825, to Miss Margaret McLewee, daughter of George and Katherine McLewee.  Mrs. Elliott died in 1858.  They had eleven children, viz:  Charlotte, deceased; Simon, Katherine, deceased; George, Isabella, John, James, deceased; Jane, deceased; Andrew, M. E. and Francis A., deceased.  Mrs. Elliott still lives upon the old homestead.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
GEORGE ELLIOTT, Perry township; postoffice, New Guilford; born in this county, in 1831; son of Andrew and MArgaret (McLewee) Elliott, and grandson of John and Charity Elliott, and of George and Katherine McLewee.  He was married in 1861, to Miss Margaret Dengan, daughter of Thomas and Margaret Dengan.  Mr. Elliott spent some six years of his life in the gold regions of California.  He sailed form New York on the ship northern light, in October, 1853, and returned in 1869.  Mr. Elliott at one time came near being buried alive, while engaged in mining operations in California.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
COLONEL JOHN S. ELLIOTT, Coshocton, of the firm of Elliott & Marx, 114 and 116 Main Street, is a native of Keene township; born May 11, 1817; son of Findley and Catharine (Strong) Elliott, of Irish ancestry.  He is raised on the farm.  At the age of twenty-three he was elected justice of the peace of his native township and served nine consecutive years.  Esquire Elliott was appointed by Governor Corwin lieutenant colonel of the State troops, and served until forces were disbanded by act of the Legislature.  He came to this city in 1862, and has served two terns as mayor; also, president of the National Temperance Christian Union of this city three years, and president of the Coshocton Agricultural Society for a number of years.  He was married first to Miss Margaret, the daughter of George McCaskey, of White Eyes township, and by this union had one son - Alonzo Milton.  His second wife was Miss Margaret Morrison, who died some thirteen years since.  The above firm is doing a very extensive business in farming implements and heavy machinery. In 1880 they sold three thousand two hundred pounds of wire to bind grain cut by machines sold by them.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
MISS KATE ELLIOTT, Tuscarawas township; teacher; postoffice, Coshocton, Ohio.  Miss Elliott received a good common-school education, also attended the national normal school at Lebanon, Ohio.  She taught the first school in the Barnes district, Keene township, in 1869, and has been constantly employed ever sine, often teaching as much as nine and ten months in one year.  She has been a successful teacher, having taught two years in the Coshocton schools.  She has taught many schools in different parts of the country, always giving satisfaction.  She is at present engaged in the Lafayette schools.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
R. M. ELLIOTT, Layfaette township; tinner; postoffice, West Lafayette; learned his trade in Coshocton, and has worked at the business about seven years, and at the present time is working for  F. M. FAMILTON; was married, in 1877, to Miss Miller, of this township.  They have had two children:  William, two years of age, and Agnes, an infant,  Mr. Elliott has lived in this township about two years, and is steady and industrious.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
SIMON ELLIOTT, Jefferson township; moulder; post office, Warsaw; was born in Millersburg, Holmes county, Ohio, December 15, 1832; son of Thomas and Lucy (Sanders) Elliott, and grandson of John Elliott, and Nathan and Mary SandersMr. Elliott is of Irish descent.  Until about the age of sixteen he attended school and worked with his father in the wagon shop.  He then began the moulder's trade in the foundry at Roscoe, and remained there about two years.  He went to Walhonding in 1848,  and remained until the year 1864, and the next spring went to Kansas, where he followed farming fourteen years, and on account of his wife's ill health he returned to Coshocton county and resumed his trade.  He has a small foundry in Warsaw, and has a very fair line of custom.  He married, October 3, 1857, Miss Electa Butler, daughter of Allen and Margaret (Smith) Butler, Edward L., born August 25, 1866, in the Osage Indian Reserve, in Kansas, is their only child.  Mr. Elliott is a nephew of Charles Elliott, the founder and editor of the Western Christian Advocate, of Cincinnati, who never went to school, but was a master of five different languages, and was at one time elected a college president.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
WILLIAM B. ELLIOTT, White Eyes township; farmer; was born in the State of New York, in 1825, and came to this county, with his parents in 1828.  His father, John H. Elliott, emigrated to this country from Ireland, about 1823, and located in Keene township.  He removed to White Eyes in 1832.  William B. began working at the carpenter trade in 1847, and followed his trade for about thirty years.  He taught school during the winters for fifteen or sixteen terms.  In 1851, Mr. Elliott  married Miss Mary Boyd, daughter of William M. Boyd, who was born in 1831, in Keene township.  They have two children:  Milton, born in 1852, and Almarinda, born in 1855, both of whom are unmarried and live at home.  Mr. Elliott bought and located on the farm where he now resides, in the spring of 1852.  Mr. Elliott has served in the office of township assessor two terms, land appraiser, one term, and one term each of clerk and treasurer of township.  His father is deceased, and his mother, who is a very old lady, lives in the township.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
ELLIOTT & MARX, General Agency, Nos. 414 & 416 Main street, Coshocton.  This house was first established in 1860 by William Elliott, deceased,  and was conducted by him until 1862, when, in consequence of his demise his brother, John S. Elliott, succeeded to the business which he conducted and greatly enlarged during the years of 187809, after which J. W. Cullison was associated with him under the firm name of Elliott & Cullison.  This firm continued until 1871, when Mr. Cullison  was succeeded by H. Marx, changing the firm name to Elliott & Marx.  This firm carries a large stock of agricultural implements and does a general agency business in which they furnish repairs for all kinds of machinery promptly on receipt of order.  They keep posted in all the improvements of the age,  and deal in the best articles in the market.  They also furnish on lowest rates and best terms, mowers, reapers and binders, grain drills, plows and points, field rollers, sulky cultivators, hay rakes, corn planters, straw cutters, cider mills, corn crushers, farm and church bells, post hole diggers, wood pumps, churns, clothes wringers, washing machines, road scrapers, threshing machines, farm engines, wheelbarrows, sewer pipes, fruit dryers and bakers, ceiling and sheathing paper, etc.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
GEORGE W. ELLIS, Tuscarawas township; farmer, postoffice, Canal Lewisville; born January 18, 1841, in Keene township; son of Andrew W. Ellis, and grandson of Samuel Ellis.  His mother's maiden name was Mary A. Crablet, daughter of William CrabletGeorge W. was raised on the farm.  When about eighteen he learned the shoemaking trade and followed it about three years, and has spent his entire life to the present time in this county.  He came to his present residence in 1867, and has remained to the present time.  He was married March 11, 1869 to Miss Annie E. Reynolds, daughter of Abraham Reynolds, whose father's name was Abraham.  Her mother's maiden name was Eliza BinningMary S. is their only child.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
JONATHAN ELY, Crawford township; teacher; postoffice, Chili; born Feb. 19, 1859, in Crawford township; son of Frederick and Mary Magdalena (Yost) Ely.  He was educated in the public schools and national normal school at Lebanon, Ohio.  He has successfully taught two terms of school, beginning at first teaching October 13, 1879, and is succeeding first rate.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
ANDREW K. EMERSON, Keene township; farmer; born Dec. 3, 1838, in Keene township; son of George and Olive Emerson, and grandson of Jacob Emerson, a native of Massachusetts, Andrew and Lydia (Fulton) Weatherwax.  He was married December 21, 1858, to Phoebe, daughter of John and Phoebe (Stonehocker) Dickey.  They had the following children:  George, born December 1859; Ella, died Feb. 28, 1861, and Angeline, Feb. 1, 1863.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
W. H. EMERSON, Oxford township; deceased; was born in this county in 1833; is a son of Timothy Emerson, and was married  Miss Ann Norris, in 1855.  The result of this union was seven children, as follows:  William F., Mary Anara, Timothy C., Henry Siegel, Sherman Elmer, U. S. Grant, Sheridan and Alverton.  She is a member of the M. E. Church, at Wesley chapel; her father's name was William Norris,  Mr. Emerson owned, at the time of his death, 253 acres of good land in this township, and was respected as an honest, upright man, by a large circle of friends.  He died on the 17th of April, 1874.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
J. M. ENGLISH, Bedford township; farmer; postoffice, Tyrone; born in 1830 in this county.  His father, Patrick English, was born in 1800 in Pennsylvania.  He removed to Harrison county, and was married, in that county, to Miss Susannah Dickerson, of the same county, who was born in 1796, in Fayette county, Pennsylvania.  They came to this county in 1827.  He died in 1857.  She died in 1870.  They were the parents of eight children, the subject of this sketch being the sixth.  He was married in 1862, to Miss Isabella Stephens, of the county, who was born in 1837.  They are the parents of twelve children, eleven of whom are living, and two are married.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
CHARLES EVERHART, West Water street, Coshockton; liveryman; born Sept. 1, 1856, in Franklin township; son of Michael Everhart, native of Virginia, and of English ancestry.  Young Everhart was raised on the farm, where he remained until he established his present business at this place, in August, 1880.  He keeps on an average seven good horses and rigs to suit, such as carriages, buggies, etc.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
DAVID EVERHART, White Eyes township; Chili, postoffice; farmer; born March 8, 1834, in White Eyes township; son of Frederick and Elizabeth (Miser) Everhart, formerly of Washington county, Pennsylvania.  David was married, Jan. 16, 1862, to Miss Sophia, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Stilgenbower) Gonter, a native of Pennsylvania.  This union has been blessed with six children, five living, Calvin, Mary Elizabeth, Saloma, Walter, Maggie Ellie and one died in infancy, not named.  Mr. Everhart has obtained a comfortable farm home, and exerts a good moral influence in his community.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
DAVID EVERHART, deceased, was born in White Eyes township, Coshocton county, Ohio, Mar. 8, 1833, his parents being Frederick and Elizabeth (Mizer) Everhart, who were natives of Washington county, Pennsylvania, and were among the earliest settlers of White Eyes township.  Their family numbered four children, all of whom are now deceased.
     David Everhart was reared on the old home farm in his native township and assisted his father in the work of the fields until the latter’s death.  In 1871 he purchased the farm of one hundred and eleven acres in White Eyes township that is now owned by his children, and there successfully carried on agricultural pursuits until called to his final rest.  In addition to the work of general farming he was also extensively engaged in stock-raising and bought and sold a great many horses.  In fact, he was one of the best judges of horse flesh in the county, being able to give the correct value of an animal almost at a glance.  He was well known and highly esteemed as one of the prosperous and enterprising citizens of the community, and gained the confidence and good wil of all with whom he had came in contact by reason of his straightforward and honorable dealings under all circumstances.  The main portion of the residence which stands on the Everhart farm is over one hundred years old and was one of the first frame houses erected in this part of the county.  The same floor and the same plastering have done service since the time of its construction.
     On the 16th of January, 1862, Mr. Everhart was united in marriage to Miss Sophia Gonter, whose birth occurred in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, July 2, 1840, her parents being Jacob and Elizabeth (Stilgenbower) Gonter, the former a native of Tuscarawas county and the latter of Germany.  The mother was born in 1813 and when eighteen years of age accompanied her parents on their emigration to the new world, the family home being established in Tuscarawas county, Ohio.  There she gave her hand in marriage to Jacob Gonter and they resided on a farm in that county until the time of their demise.  The father of Mrs. Everhart, whose birth had occurred in 1814, passed away Aug. 5, 1898, while her mother’s death occurred on the 7th of October, 1884.  Unto this worthy couple were born seven children, six of whom still survive, namely:  Mrs. Everhart; Elizabeth, the wife of Samuel Wyler, of Ragersville, Ohio; Mary, the wife of John Saunterman, of Tuscarawas county, Ohio; Sylvester, a resident of White Eyes township; Adeline, the wife of Adam Dook¸ of White Eyes township;  and George, living in Tuscarawas county.
     Unto Mr. and Mrs. Everhart were born six children, as follows:  Calvin, of white Eyes township; Mary E., the wife of Wilber Ely, of Crawford township; Saloma, the wife of Jacob Leavengood, Coshocton; Walter, a resident of Coshocton; Ella¸the wife of Henry Hooper, of Keene township; and Milton, who operates the home farm for his mother.
     In his political views Mr. Everhart was a republican, while his religious faith was indicated by his membership in the English Lutheran church, with which his widow is identified.  Mrs. Everhart has won the regard and friendship of all who know her because of her genuine personal worth and many excellent traits of heart and mind.

~Pg. 449 - History of Coshocton Co., Ohio - Pub. 1909
SAMUEL EVERHART, White Eyes township; farmer; born in the county in 1832.  His father, Henry Everhart, came to this county from Tuscarawas county.  Samuel remained at home until he was twenty-five years old, and married Miss Florinda Hoober, of Tuscarawas county, in 1857.  Mrs. Everhart was born in 1839.  They have had a family of six children, one of whom is deceased.  Those living are Eliza J., born in 1858, is married to Peter Farney,  and lives in Tuscarawas county; Isaac B., born 1859;  Catharine, born 1864;  John A., born 1872; Della M., born 1879.  Mr. Everhart  has always resided in this county.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
H. A. EXLINE, Washington township; farmer; postoffice, West Carlisle; born in 1822, in this county.  His father was born in 1777, in Loudon county, Virginia, and was married in 1805, to Miss Elizabeth Betz, of the same county, who was born in 1789.  They came to this county in 1818.  He died in 1850 and she died in 1860.  They were the parents of three children, the subject of this sketch being the youngest.  He was married in 1844 to Miss Mary Gault, of this county, who was born in 1827.  She died in 1856.  They were the parents of three children, viz:  Elizabeth E., Elsie A. and Flora B.  He afterward married, in 1861, Miss Elizabeth A. Yunker, of this county, who was born in 1833.  They are the parents of three children living, viz:  Nora M., John H. and Charlie B.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
COSHOCTON COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights

..