.


OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


 

Welcome to
Coshocton County, Ohio

BIOGRAPHIES

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX>

GEORGE T. CAGLE, Coshocton; boot and shoe maker, Cherry street, between Sixth and Seventh streets; born Aug. 9, 1842, in Frederick county, Maryland; son of John C., a native of Wurtemberg, Germany.  He worked on a farm until he was fifteen, when he went to his trade and served three years; then established a shop in the spring of 1862, in Uniontown, Maryland.  In November, 1865, he came to this city and established a shop, but soon sold out, and was a transient journeyman until 1879, when he established his present shop, in which he is doing a good business, employing several workmen, and working himself, also.  Mr. Cagle enlisted in Battery F, Third P. V. H. A., and served until the close of the war.  Mr. Cagle was married Feb. 18, 1880, to Miss Mattie Brister, of this city.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 655
WILLIAM A. CALHOUN, who is successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits in Oxford township, was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, in 1831, his parents being Edley and Martha (McNickle) Calhoun, who lived and died in the Emerald isle.  Our subject was reared on a farm in his native country, where he was also married, and engaged in farming until 1874, when he emigrated to the United States.  After arriving in this country he purchased his present farm of one hundred and fifty-five acres in Oxford township, Coshocton county, Ohio, the place being in a somewhat run-down condition it came into his possession.  He has since added many substantial improvements and has brought the fields under a high state of cultivation, being widely recognized as one of the most successful farmers of Oxford township.  In addition to the work of general farming he has raised considerable stock, both branches of his business returning to him a gratifying annual income.
     Mr. Calhoun was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Hamilton, a native of Ireland and a daughter of Claude and Mary A. (Johnson) Hamilton, both of whom were born in County Tyrone, Ireland, the father in 1804 and the mother in 1814.  Their marriage was celebrated in 1832, and in 1872 they emigrated to the united States, locating in White Eyes township within the limits of Avondale, where the father was engaged in agricultural pursuits until the time of his demise in January, 1896.  His family numbered eight children, namely: Margaret, Matilda J., Mrs. Calhoun, Mary A., John A., Lucinda D., Sarah J. and Thomas J.  Unto our subject and his wife have been born nine children, as follows:  W. J., of Oxford township; John A., who is a dentist at New Comerstown, Ohio; Richard, who is employed as express messenger by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company; E. A., who is at home; Jemima, the wife of Andrew Shurtz, of New Comerstown, Ohio; Margaret, who is the wife of O. W. Sargent and makes her home at Isleta, Ohio; Mary J., the wife of John C. Glenn, of New Comerstown; and Edward and Thomas M., both at home.
     In his political views Mr. Calhoun is a republican, while his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Methodist Protestant church at Plainfield, with which his wife is also identified.  The hope that led him to leave his native land and seek a home in America has been more than realized.  He found the opportunities he sought - which, by the way, are always open to the ambitious, energetic man - and making the best of these he has steadily worked his way upward.  He possesses the resolution, perseverance and reliability so characteristic of his nation, and his name is now enrolled among the best citizens of Coshocton county, where he has now resided for a third of a century.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio - Vol. I - Chicago - The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. - 1909 - Page 386
THOMAS CAMPBELL (deceased), was born May 21, 1816, in Steubenville, Ohio; attended school while a boy until fifteen years of age, when, with his father, he settled on a farm in Adams township, this county.  In 1832 he entered Franklin college, and remained two years.  In 1835 he came to this city, and spent the first year clerking and teaching school.  In 1838 he entered, as a student, the law office of James Matthews, and was admitted to the bar March 4, 1841, at Steubenville.  In 1842 he commenced the practice of law in this city, and was elected the following year to the office prosecuting attorney, and was re-elected for the two succeeding terms, serving six consecutive years.  In 1852 he was elected probate judge, being the first judge under the new constitution of the State, term of office, three yeas.  In 1866 he was associated with R. M. Voorhes, firm name, Campbell & Voorhes, attorneys and counselors at law.  Judge Campbell was married August 5, 1841, to Miss Martha Wallace, of Mifflin county, Pennsylvania.  This union was blessed with six children, two of whom, John and Patrick Steel, died at Corinth, Mississippi.  Those living are, Dr. James Campbell, married to Miss Maggie Crimm, of Dennison, Ohio,, and now residing in Iowa county, Iowa; Mary Jane, married to Robert A. McKelley of Upper Sandusky; Isabelle, married to Dr. Robert H. Bradley, now a resident of Marshal county, Illinois, and William F., residing in Iowa county, Illinois.  Judge Campbell died very suddenly on Wednesday morning, July 6, 1881.  Up to the time of his death he was in his usual health.  He had been at work about his office table the same morning.  A moment before the final summons he walked to a front window, looked out and remarked upon the probability of a rain fall during the day, and then turned and stretched out his hand in the direction of a chair, when he suddenly fell to the floor.  Charlie Hunt, a law student, was the only person in the office.  He hastily stepped into the hall and called to Mr. Bargar, who was in the next room.  Mr. Bargar and Mr. Triplett in an instant were at the side of the prostrate form.  His collar was loosened and the body straightened to an easy position, but by the time this momentary work was done there was no sign of life.  The vital spark had fled with his fall to the floor, so quickly, perhaps, that no sensation of pain came to the body before the spirit had flown.  Life went out as suddenly as the light of a candle is extinguished.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
J. M. CARHART, tanner and leather dealer, of the firm of J. & H. Carhart, Main street, Roscoe; born May 10, 1841, in Roscoe; son of John Carhart (deceased).  J. M. was raised in his native village.  At eighteen he went into the dry goods store of J. G. Stewart as clerk, and remained until April, 1861, when he enlisted in Company A, Sixteenth O. V. I. (three months' men), and served to the close of his enlistment.  In September, of the same year he enlisted as musician in Regimental Band Fifty-first O. V. I., in which he served about ten months.  In July, 1863, he re-enlisted in Company M, Ninth O. V. C., and was appointed first sergeant of the company, and, subsequently, commissioned second lieutenant, which office he resigned in March, 1865, on account of top of the left eye.  He engaged in the present firm December 6, 1874, which does a general tanning business, and deals extensively in leather of all grades.  Lieutenant Carhart was married February 8, 1864, to Miss Emily C. Taylor, of Roscoe.  They are the parents of three children - Estella, Gertrude and John E. Carhart.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
WILLIAM CARNAHAN, Coshocton; farmer; was born Feb. 24, 1829, in White Eyes township; son of John and Sarah (Marshall) Carnahan.  Sarah Marshall's grandparents (Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell), were killed by the Indians, in Washington county, Pennsylvania.  Her sister was taken prisoner, by the savages, and kept fourteen years, but escaped, on an armed vessel, at Quebec, disguised as a soldier.  John Carnahan, father of William, came to White Eyes township, in 1826, being one of the eight who were the only inhabitants of the township.  He assisted to organize the township for official and election purposes, and also was one of the first justices of the peace.  Esquire William Carnahan owns the old homestead on which he lived forty-five years, but, in 1874, he built his present residence, corner of Orange and Eighth streets, which he has occupied to the present time.  He was elected justice of the peace, in 1864, and served until his removal from the township, having been elected four times.  He was married May 22, 1850, to Miss Sarah Elizabeth, daughter of Dr. Thomas Miller, of Holmes county.  Mary Alma  is their only child.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
E. C. CARR, M. D., Coshocton, Ohio, Main street.  Dr. Carr was born Apr. 17, 1850, in East Union, Coshocton county, Ohio; son of Dr. James G. and Eliza (Bond) Carr, of English and Irish ancestors.  He received his education in the public schools of the county, Newcomerstown high school and Mt. Union college.  His first profession was school teaching, which he followed three years.  In 1872, he began reading medicine with his father.  He was graduated in the science of medicine in the spring of 1875.  His first professional practice was at Millersburg, Holmes county, with Dr. Pomerene; after which he practiced at Holmesville until April, 1881, when he came to Coshocton, Ohio.  Dr. E. C. Carr was married July 6, 1875, Miss Anna M., daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Holmes) Jack of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  They are the parents of three children, viz: Jas. G., Eliza H. and Emma P.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
J. S. CARR, M. D., Clark township; postoffice, Clark's; born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, March 19, 1825; son of Thomas and Orha (Seward) Carr, and grandson of John and Margaret (McGuire) Carr, and Eli and Ellen Seaward. His father's ancestors were from Ireland, and his mother's parents were Puritans.  His father was a minister of the M. E. Church; was admitted to conference in 1820, and remained in active service until 1848, then served as supernumerary until 1856, when he died.  Mr. Carr began the study of medicine with Dr. A. E. Bassett, of Portage county, Ohio, in 1846, and, after reading three years, he attended lectures at the Western Reserve Medical College, of Cleveland, Ohio, and, in the spring of 1849, began practice in East Union, Coshocton county, where he remained five years, then moved to Bloomfield, where he has had a successful practice since.  He enlisted during the war of Company I, One Hundred and Sixty-sixth O. N. G., in the capacity of assistant surgeon, and was also appointed as assistant surgeon in Twenty-sixth O. V. V. I.  He has been thrice married, the first marriage being on the 12th of April, 1849, to Miss Caroline E. Bond, daughter of Jonas and Elizabeth Bond, who was born July 21, 1826, and died July 3, 1851.  She was the mother of one child - Edmund C., born April 17, 1850, who is now a practitioner of medicine.  Mr. Carr's  second marriage was on the 8th of January, 1852, to Anna McCaughan, daughter of A. and Ann McCaughan, by whom he had one child - James Mc., born Oct. 14, 1851, died Feb. 4, 1863.  His last marriage occurred Feb. 15, 1858, with Elizabeth B. Stover, daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Story) Stover, and granddaughter of Ebenezer and Elizabeth Stover, and Ephraim and Jemimah (Clark) Story  She was born in November, 1824, in Canterberry, Connecticut.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
MICHAEL B. CARR (deceased), Linton township; born Jan. 18, 1824, in Massachusetts; son of James and Hannah Carr; when about twenty-one years old, moved to Linton township; here married Jane Glenn, born Jan. 4, 1830, in Jefferson county, daughter of John and Jane (Lamb) Glenn.  Mr. Glenn was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, and moved from Jefferson to this county in 1832.  Mr. Carr was a shoemaker and followed his trade in Plainfield, except four years - 1849-53 - spent in Ottawa, until he moved to the farm where Mrs. Carr now resides, in 1866.  He died Mar. 13, 1875.  His children are John Calvin (deceased) James Co., Sarah A., William B., Hannah J. (Jones), Thomas, Ward, Clark M., Sarah C., Mary Bell, Elizabeth A., Elias Glenn, Glenn, George M., and Bertha Alice.  Four of his sons are school teachers.  James C., the oldest has taught nine years; he was married April 3, 1872, to Eliza J. Tedrick, daughter of Reed and Amelia Tedrick, and has three children, Charlie Reed, Earnest M. and Mary Belle.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
RICHARD CARROLL, Linton township; shoemaker; residence, Plainfield; born Mar. 11, 1820, near Belfast, Ireland; son of Richard and Martha (Hobson) Carroll.  His mother's parents were Quakers, but she was converted to Methodism when eleven years old.  His father was weigh master of the grain market at Belfast and land steward of the large estates of Stephan May.  Mr. Carroll learned the shoemaker's trade in Belfast and conducted a large trade there.  In 1845, he emigrated with his family to Plainfield, and has carried on his trade there since.  He entered service.  September 6, 1864, in company F, Fifteenth O. V. I., performing detailed duty in Sherman's eastern campaign, and was discharged June 8, 1865.  In 1842, he was married to Jane Russell, born at Port Adoun, Ireland, daughter of James Russell.  Their children are Margaret Jane (Tedrick), John, Sophia C., Richard, Sarah Flora, Anna B. (deceased), and Thomas Benjamin (deceased).
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
THOMAS CARROLL, JR., M.D., was born in Keene, in 1838.  After attending medical lectures, he commenced practice in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Entering the medical department of the army, he was stationed in Washington City, and afterward in Philadelphia.  He died while acting assistant surgeon at Jackson Barracks, New Orleans, Louisiana, Apr. 23, 1867.  His remains were brought to Keene.
Source: HISTORICAL COLLECTIONS of COSHOCTON COUNTY, OHIO - 1764-1876 by William E. Hunt. - Publ. Cincinnati - Robert Clarke & Co., Printers - 1876 - Page 258
J. C. CARROLL, Lafayette township; boot and shoe manufacturer; born in Belfast Ireland, in 1847, and came to this country in 1856; was married, in 1872, to Miss Agnes McCune. They have had four children:  Thomas, Maggie, and infant, and Charles.  Mr. Carroll took an active part in the late war, going out in company6 H, Eightieth O. V. I., and served with that regiment fifteen months, and served three yeas in the regular army afterward; was census enumerator of this township in 1880, and is an enterprising and skillful workman.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
JAMES CARSON, Keene township; farmer; born in Steubenville, Ohio, Dec. 11, 1818; son of John and Ann Carson; grandson of James and Esther (Reed) Carson and of James and Ann Swain.  His father's family consisted of four children:  Esther, William (deceased), Sarah and James.  At the age of three he was brought to Coshocton county, and remained here till 1854, and then went to California and spent five years in Bute and one year in Sierre county.  He next moved to Virginia City, Nevada, where he engaged in the lumber business about two and a half years, then returned to Coshocton county and has followed farming here since.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 649
J. W. CASSINGHAM, county auditor; was born June 22, 1840 in Coshocton city; son of George F. and Elizabeth (Wilson) Cassingham.  His paternal ancestry is English, and his maternal Irish.  Mr. C. began business as clerk in the county treasurer's office, in 1857, where he remained until 1868, when he engaged in the grocery business, firm name of Cassingham & Crowley.  This firm dissolved in 1874, when Mr. C. engaged in the coal business, firm name of Prosser & CassinghamMr. C. withdrew from this firm in the spring of 1881.  From 1872 to the present time he has been partner of the Coshocton Paper Company.  Mr. Cassingham was elected to his present office, auditor of the county, in the fall of 1881.  He was married Nov. 5, 1863, to Miss Caroline, daughter of Samuel and Julia (Crowly) Lamberson  They are the parents of two children, viz: Charles L., and George W.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
GEORGE F. CASSINGHAM, was born April 19, 1812, in Kent county, Ireland; son of Thomas and Phebe (Ford) Cassingham; came to America in the fall of 1818, and located in Muskingum county, Ohio, where they remained until the old gentleman's death.  He had eight sons and four daughters, viz: Thomas, Richard, James, John P., Henry, William, Ford and George F., the subject of our sketch.  The names of the four daughters are as follows:  Phebe, Elizabeth, Sophia and Mary Jane.  In 1833, George F. came to this city, and engaged in shoemaking.  In 1845, he was elected justice of the peace, and, in 1846, recorder, and held both offices nine years, and, in 1879, was again elected justice of the peace, which office he now holds.  Esquire Cassingham was married May 23, 1835, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Wilson.  They became the parents of four children, viz: Julia (deceased), Sarah, Mary Jane and John W.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
THOMAS CASTEEL, Perry township; postoffice, West Carlisle; born in Pennsylvania, in 1799; son of Jesse and Sarah Casteel.  Mr. Casteel has been twice married; first, in 1819, to Miss Ruth Dicken.  His first wife died in September, 1836.  They had ten children, viz: Amos, Darcus (deceased), Jessie, Eliza E., John W., Urias, Perry, Druzilla, Etha and Ruth.  In 1836, he married Susannah Bottomfield, daughter of Henry and Rachel (Flagle) Bottomfield.  They have seven children, viz: Rachel, Jackson, Jacob (deceased), James M. (deceased), Sarah, Susan and Thomas.  Mrs. Casteel has lived in this county fifty-six years, and has been in the town of Coshocton only once in all that time.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
A. S. CATON, Roscoe postoffice; merchant, of the firm of Moore & Caton, White Woman street; born June 28, 1852, in Verrin county, Michigan; son of Andrew Caton, American born, of German ancestry.  When one year old he came to this State with his parents, and settled on a farm in Marrow county, and after a few removes, settled in Knox county.  At seventeen years of age, he began teaching school and taught two years.  He then entered the Ohio Wesleyan college, at Delaware, and attended three years.  On leaving college, in company with his brother-in-law, settled on a farm in West Bedford township, where they remained one year, when they exchanged the farm for the building and stock of goods owned by A. Pettit, and continued the business at the place named above This firm has been very successful, notwithstanding their having had no previous mercantile experience.  Their business has increased largely in the last few years.  Mr. Caton was married Sept. 11, 1874, to Miss Dottie Moore, daughter of William Moore, of West Bedford township.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
GEORGE R. CATON, White Eyes township; farmer; postoffice, Chili, Ohio; born Dec. 18, 1831, in White Eyes township; son of Thomas and Mary (Ringer) Caton; a native of Pennsylvania, but came to White Eyes township among the first settlers of the township; George R. was brought up in the township.  Mr. Caton was married in February, 1855, to Miss Lucinda, daughter of Thomas and Sarah Hughes McCollum, formerly of Pennsylvania.  They became the parents of nine children, viz: Franklin, Lafayette, Mary Alice, married to Michael Sherman, now residing in White Eyes township, Sarah Jane, Thomas J., Elsworth C., James L., George W., Solemma Bell and U. S. Grant.  Mr. Caton has succeeded well as a farmer, having a good home for a large family.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
JAMES T. CHADWELL, Linton township; farmer; born in Tuscarawas county, July 25, 1825; son of George and Ruth (Taylor) Chadwell, both grandfathers were English born.  His grandfather, Thomas Taylor, was brought to America as an English soldier, during the revolutionary war, but deserted the ship before he landed and swam ashore.  He was the only one of three to reach the shore.  His grandfather, John Chadwell, settled in Virginia.  His father, born in Loudon county, Virginia, came to Jefferson county in 1814, when sixteen years old, and afterward moved to Tuscarawas county, where James was raised.  In 1850, April 6, Mr. Chadwell married Miss Sarah, daughter of James and Magdalena (Minnick) Updegroff, born in Carroll county, and at five years oaf age was brought to Tuscarawas county by her parents.  Their children are Mary (Welker), Jane (Marlatt), Samantha (Marlatt), Phoebe (deceased), Maria (deceased), and Ella May. In 1853, Mr. Chadwell moved to Ross county, and lived their eleven years.  He spent the summer of 1865 in Tuscarawas county, and has resided in Linton township since.  He entered military service in May, 1864,,, as a member of Company F, One Hundred and Forty-ninth O. N. G., serving four months.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
H. M. CHALFANT, farmer; Washington township; postoffice, Dresden; born in 1840, in this county.  His father was born in 1807, in what is now Perry county, and came to this county with his father in 1808.  He was married in 1830 to Miss Delilah Hayes, of this county, who was born in 1813.  They are the parents of eight children, five of whom are living.  H. M. Chalfant, the subject of this sketch, was married in 1861 to Miss Elizabeth Mossman, of this county, who was born in 1840.  They are the parents of seven children, viz:  D. A., Lena L., Sybil J., John C., Mary L., George W. and Ina M.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
O. P. CHAMBERLIN, Linton township; born in Lafayette township, May 1, 1842.  His father, John G., emigrated from Vermont about 1838.  His mother, Gertrude Shaffer, daughter of Peter and Elizabeth Shaffer, was born at Albany, New York.  He was married Feb. 7, 1861, to Miss E. J. Moore, daughter of Rev. John and Rosanna Moore; born in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania.  Her grand parents were Joseph and Eliza (Glenn) Moore, both of Irish nativity, and Henry and Jane (Lyle) Donnell, of Virginia birth.  Mr. Chamberlin has two children, Olive P. and Gertrude R.  He enlisted February, 1862, in Company K, Eightieth O. V. I.; mustered out September, 1865.  He participated in the siege of Corinth, battles of Iuka and Corinth, siege of Vicksburg, battle of Mission Ridge, and Sherman's engagements in Georgia.  In 1873 he moved to Linton township, and has lived here since.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
JONATHAN CHANEY, Pike township; post-office, Frazeyburgh, Muskingum county; farmer and stock raiser; born in this county in 1850; son of Emanuel and Margret (Ashcraft) Chaney, and grandson of Joseph and Elizabeth Chaney.  He was married in 1876, to Miss Mary E. Moran, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Moran.  They are the parents of two children, viz: Flaura B. and Charles E.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
S. F. CHANEY, Pike township; merchant; born in 1854, in Muskingum county, Ohio; came to this county in 1860.  He was married in 1879 to Nancy E. Forrest, of this county.  She was born in 1842, in this county.  They are the parents of one child - Otto Clay.  He bought an interest in the store of  L. V. Cox, in 1878, who died in March, 1879.  In the same year he purchased his interest of the heirs, and now continues the business along, dealing in dry goods, groceries, hats and caps, boots and shoes, queensware and notions.  Sole agent for Rambo's woolen goods.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
DR. BARZILLAI W. CHAPMAN, Adams township, Bakersville, Ohio; was born Oct. 2, 1835, near Washington, Pennsylvania; son of Richard and Catharine (Updegraff) Chapman, who were the parents of thirteen children, nine sons and four daughters.  The father was of Irish and the mother of German descent.  Dr. Chapman was brought up in Washington county, Pennsylvania.  At twenty years of age, he began reading medicine with Dr. Solomon Beers, of Newcomerstown, Ohio.  He began the practice of his profession at New Albany, Ohio, in May 1858.  In 1862, he went to Morristown, where he remained until 1864, when he came to his present residence.  He was first married, Dec. 20, 1855, to Miss Mary A., daughter of Samuel and Isabella (Major) Spencer.  By this union he became the father of three children, viz.:  Alexander L., who died Mar. 30, 1859, Isabel C. and Lucinda B.  Their mother died Jan. 5, 18__.  The doctor was married, Apr. 10, 1873, to his present wife, Miss Catharine, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Winger) Zimmerman, natives of Bern, Switzerland.  They are the parents of one child, viz.: Edwin B., born Aug. 16, 1874.  The doctor's grandfathers, to the fifth generation, have all borne the name of "Richard."  He has a relict of his grandfather which is here given, verbatin "That Richard Coppmann and his wife, Sarah Coppman, alias Patterson, are Protestants, regular members of this congregation; honest and sober and free from scandal or ground of church censure known to us, is, by order of session, certified at Castleblaney, county Monagham, Ireland, Sept. 12, 1783, by James M. Attley, District Minister."
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 650
LESLIE CHASE, Clark township; hardware merchant; postoffice, Clark's; born in Bloomfield, Coshocton county, June 22, 1857; son of John and Rebecca (Lewis) Chase.  He learned the tinner's trade with Mr. D. St. John, of Cardington, Monroe county, Ohio, and worked in his employ for three years; then came to Bloomfield and engaged in the hardware business in the fall of 1876, in which he has been engaged since.  In connection with his store he has a tin-shop, in which he carries on his trade, paying particular attention to roofing and spouting.  He does a fair business, both in hardware and at his trade, and is an accommodating, practical business man.  He was married Oct. 18, 1878, to Miss Emma Duncan, daughter of William and Fannie (Elliott) Duncan.  They have one child, Fannie, born May 30, 1880.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
JOHN R. CHURCH, Monroe township; was born November, 1850, in Tiverton township; son of Benjamin S. and Margret E. (Cox) Church; grandson of Lemuel and Elizabeth (Simmons) Church, who are natives of Fall River, Massachusetts.  Mr. Church lived in Tiverton Center till the age of twelve years, when he went to farming and attended country school.   His education was completed in the Spring Mountain academy.  At the age of twenty-one he began teaching, which he has followed in the winter seasons ever since.  Mr. Church is a thriving young farmer and resides at present in Monroe township, Coshocton county.  He was married to Miss Rachel A. Bantum, October 25, 1876, who was born in 1851, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Easter) Bantum, and granddaughter of John and Anna Bantum, and of George and Elizabeth Easter.  She was educated at Warsaw and Spring Mountain, is a member of the Evangelical church.  They have two children, Robert V., born Dec. 10, 1877, and Nelly, born Oct. 6, 1880.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
BENTON CLARK, Jackson township; farmer; postoffice, Roscoe, Ohio; son of Archibald and Sarah (Hogland) Clark, was born Sept. 29, 1837, in this county.  His father was of Irish descent, but was born and raised in this county.  His mother was of English descent, and was also born and raised in this county.  They were among the oldest pioneers of this county.  Mr. Clark was raised on the farm, and has always followed that occupation.  He was married in 1857, to Miss Elizabeth Thompkins, of this county.  They became the parents of four children, viz.:  Henry, Archibald, James and Adam.  Mr. Clark owns a fine farm in the Walhonding valley.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 651
JAMES W. CLARK, Franklin township; farmer; born in Linton township, Nov. 17, 1829; son of James Clark, born in 1811, and grandson of William Clark, a pioneer of this county.  He has always lived in Linton and Franklin townships, except a year spent just across the Muskingum.  Taught school nine years, beginning in 1850; then opened a store in Maysville, which he conducted for six years, then engaged in farming; married in 1853, to Mary Ann daughter of Henry Piper, of Muskingum county.  Of his eleven children, only four survive, viz: William Albert, Elizabeth Olive, Richard Oliver and Stella Ann.  Walter, in 1877, at sixteen years of age, was drowned while bathing in the Muskingum river.  Nancy Jane, died in 1878, of consumption, aged eighteen years.  The other children died young.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 651
JOHN CLARK, Bethlehem township; farmer; postoffice, Warsaw, Ohio; son of Samuel Clark; was born in this county, in 1813.  His father came to this county in 1810 or 1811, and was of Irish descent.  He was one of the oldest citizens of Coshocton county.  When he came to the county, he found it a wilderness, with here and there a cabin, surrounded by a small lot of cleared land.  He was county commissioner two terms, and served as justice of the peace in his township for a number of years.  John Clark was married Feb. 3, 1842, to Miss Elizabeth N. Skillman, who was born in New Jersey, in 1819.  They became the parents of eleven children, viz.:  James A., Mary W., Margaret J. (deceased), Thomas, Isaac M., John A., Anna C., Emma, Lizzie and  Edward E.  Lizzie follows the profession of teaching.  Mr. Clark owns a fine farm in Bethlehem township, and is esteemed by all his neighbors.  HE and his wife are prominent members of the M. E. Church.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 ~ Page 652
JOHN CLARK, Tuscarawas township; farmer; postoffice, Coshocton; was born April 28, 1814, in Fawn township, York county, Pennsylvania.  He came to his present farm residence about the year 1863.  Mr. Clark was married Jan. 1, 1866, to Miss Mary Ellen, daughter of John and Lucy (Swaringum) Morgan, of Lafayette township.  This union was blessed with one child, John James, born Oct. 29, 1868.  Mr. Clark has by honest industry possessed himself of a good farm, from which he realizes a comfortable living for himself and family.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 ~ Page 652
JOSHUA CLARK, New Castle township; farmer; postoffice, New Castle; was born Feb. 10, 1808, in Harrison county, where the town of Harrisville now stands, and which was, at that time, in the woods.  He is the son of John and Mary (Boothe) Clark, who were the parents of ten children.  His father was Welsh and his mother of English descent.  They were Quakers, from the neighborhood of Philadelphia.
     He came to New Castle township, with his father, when he was eighteen years old, and settled on the land now occupied by the village of New Castle, and, about three years later, his father laid out the village of Liberty (now New Castle).
     At the age of twenty-one he married Miss Mary Given, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Barr) Given.  She was raised on Wheeling creek, near Wheeling, West Virginia.  They then moved to Morrow county, Ohio, and settled in the woods; but their stay here was short, on account of the scarcity of food and labor, being three miles from the nearest settlement where they could obtain the necessaries of life.  While there they lived in a cabin with a fire-place in one  end, the backwall and chimney being but six feet high, and were therefore in danger of attacks from wolves.  They lived the first week in this cabin without its being daubed, and the snow fell about ankle deep.
     He attended eleven raisings and log-rollings during the first two weeks of his sojourn in that place.  At the expiration of about six months they had consumed about all the provisions they had brought with them, and then began to think it time to move, so they returned to New Castle township, Coshocton county, where he is still living.
     He is situated nearly two miles southwest of New Castle, at the headwaters of the Wakatomica on a well improved farm of about 500 acres.  He has been twice married.  His first wife bore him four children, viz.:  William, Love M., Allen and Elizabeth.  William resides near East Union, Coshocton county; Love married William Warton, of Butler township, Knox county; Allen is a farmer of Jackson township, Knox county; Elizabeth is the wife of Jesse Mercer, of Jackson township, Knox county.  He was married a second time to Miss Eleanor Wilson, on the twentieth of June, 1841, daughter of William and Rebecca (Jones) Wilson; also of John and Eleanor Melick.  She was born Jan. 28, 1831, in Somerset county, Pennsylvania.
     This union resulted in eight children, viz.:  Thomas (deceased), Rebecca, Joshua, Martha, Charles H., Robert H., Hannah S. and Samuel Mc.  Mr. Clark relates that when his father was moving to  this county, they came to Coshocton on Sunday, and had to cross the river on a ferry boat, and that the whole town came down to the river to help them across, and that in ferrying the cattle across they had a good deal of trouble, some of them jumping overboard and swimming back. Among those of the village that turned out to assist them, were Mr. Adam Johnson and Colonel Williams.  He also relates, that on arriving in New Castle township, after two days heavy driving from Coshocton, they moved in a house with one or two other families and lived two weeks there, until they could build one of their own, and that there were about twenty persons in all occupying the house during those two weeks.  On the farm where he now lives stands the trunk of an apple tree, that measures ten feet, three inches in circumference, that the seed or sprout had been planted  by Johnny Appleseed, who then lived upon the Mohican.  The trunk is about seventy years old, and in one specially favorable season, bore 140 bushels of apples.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 652
NATHAN CLARK, Pike township; postoffice, West Carlisle; farmer and stock raiser; born in this county in 1839; son of Manley and Mary Clark.  He was married in 1860, to Miss Mary E. Magruder, daughter of Hezekiah and Sarah A. (Lake) Magruder.  They are the parents of three children, viz.:  Rollen, George V. and Iva J.  The subject of this sketch died in 1870.  His widow still lives on the home farm, together with her daughter and two sons, surrounded by all the necessary comforts of life.  Mrs. Clark's father died in 1858, her mother in 1850.  She is the oldest of a family of five children.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 652
S. B. CLARK, Jackson township; born in this county, in 1839; son of William and Hannah Clark; married, in 1863, to Nancy E. Boring, daughter of Kinzy and Margaret Boring.  Mr. Clark is the father of five children, viz.: William C., H. K., Marion, Wealthy and Milton.  Postoffice, Rosco.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 ~ Page 652
WILLIAM CLARK, Perry township, New Guilford postoffice; born in this county in 1828; son of Joshua and Mary Clark, and grandson of William and Elizabeth (Barn) Giffin, and of John Clark; was married in 1861 to Miss H. L. Veatch, daughter of Ellis and Elizabeth Veatch.  They have nine children, viz.: Elmer V., Walter H., Harriet E., Duette, Mary E., William H., T. F., Sylvia M. and Charles H.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 652
WILLIAM M. CLARK, Franklin township; farmer; born in Linton township, June 27, 1825; son of James, and grandson of William Clark; one of the earliest settlers of the county; emigrated from Maryland, and moved to Franklin township in 1864; was married Feb. 12, 1850, to Rebecca A. Bryan, who was born in Franklin township, and is the daughter of Stephen K. Bryan.  Their family consists of six children, viz.:  Martha Jane, Mary, James, Stephen, John and Thomas.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 ~ Page 651
WILLIAM W. CLARK, Franklin township; farmer; born in Tuscarawas township, Apr. 18, 1813; son of William and Nancy (Valentine) Clark.  His father, born in 1775, came to Tuscarawas township from Virginia before 1809, was a soldier in 1812, and died May 11, 1842.  His family consisted of Margaret (McCleery), Hugh, James, Nancy (Bainter), John, Elizabeth (Preston) William W. (the subject of this sketch), and Samuel.  Only the youngest three now survive.  Mr. Clark married Dorotha N., daughter of Sylvester and Hannah (Snyder) Preston.  Her father emigrated with his family from New York in 1838.  She was the youngest of eleven children, viz.:  Sarah (Bouton) Zerah, Robert W., Zachariah S., Lewis B., Otis A., Joseph W., Harriet (Wilcox), Mary J. (Wilcox), Julia A. and Dorotha, Mr. Clark has had eight children, four of whom survive, viz.:  James P., Elizabeth P., Hannah, Jane (McCollough), of Guernsey county, Mary Catharine (Emler).
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 651
W. CLEMMONS, Coshocton; carriage blacksmith, West Main street; was born July 11, 1841, in Mt. Vernon, Knox county.  He is son of William Clemmons was apprenticed to his trade, at about the age of fifteen, to William Sanderson.  When about twenty-one, he came to this city and worked as a journeyman with E. McDonald.  In 1875, he established his present shop, and is doing a good business in all kinds of carriage-smithing.  Mr. Mary Taylor daughter of John Taylor, of this city.  They have had five children, two of whom, John William and Allie May, and died, and three, Cora Belle, Clarance Carl and Edith Luvane, are living.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 653
ALEXANDER COCHRAN, Perry township; postoffice, New Guilford; farmer and speculator; born in the county in 1845; son of Joseph and Mary A. (Underwood) Cochran, and grandson of William and Elizabeth (Huffman) Cochran, and of Joshua and Sarah Underwood; married in 1868 to Miss Mary S. Board, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth A. Board.  They are the parents of four children, viz.:  Charles J., Foy, Maud and Claud Carl.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 654
JAMES COCHRAN, Jefferson township; born in East Union, Coshocton county, Ohio, Dec. 4, 1838; son of Caleb and Anna (Duncan) Cochran and grandson of William Cochran and Matthew Duncan.  His grandfather, Duncan, Came to America, at twelve years of age, and settled in Maryland.  His father was born Feb. 5, 1806; died Sept, 27, 1877.  His mother was born Feb. 29, 1815, in New Castle.
     He enlisted in Company7 D, Sixteenth O. V. I. Apr. 15, 1861, under Captain McClain, and served three months; then enlisted Dec. 1, 1861, in Company F, Eightieth O. V. I., under Captain Metham; went into camp at Camp Meigs, then to Camp Jackson, at Columbus, Ohio; from there he went to Cincinnati; thence to Fort Holt, Ky.; thence to Paduca, thence to the rear of Corinth, and assisted in the siege; thence to Iuka, Mississippi, and took part in the engagement there; thence back to Corinth, and assisted in the two days' fight between Rosecrans and Price; thence to Holly Springs, and to Memphis, Tennessee, where they took charge of the division train and guarded it to Forest Hill; thence to Helena, Arkansas, via Memphis; thence four miles below, and went into camp on a sand bar to arrange for the Yazoo Pass expedition, and after taking part in the expedition came back to the sand bar, and from there to Young's Point, Louisiana; thence to Hardtimes landing, on the Mississippi; thence via Port Gibson, Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hills, Black River, to a position in the rear of Vicksburg.  He remained here forty-eight days; thence via Memphis and Chattanooga to the battle of Mission Ridge; thence to camp near Chattanooga; thence to Bridgeport, Tennessee.
     He then came home as a recruiting officer, and on the 9th of May, 1864, returned to Huntsville, Alabama, thence to Resaca, and thence to Atlanta, and to the sea with Sherman; to Richmond, Virginia, and from thence to Washington, and attended the grand review; thence to Louisville, Kentucky, and to Columbus, Ohio, where he received his discharge, Aug. 28, 1865.  He filled all the stations from private to captain, was chosen aid-de-cam for General Rice, also acting as assistant inspector general for General James.  He engaged in farming in the spring of 1866, and in 1867, went to Illinois, and engaged in teaming, and in the spring of 1869, came to Warsaw and began hotel-keeping, where he remained until the spring of 1875, when he took a trip to California, and visited many places along the Pacific coast and the Pacific railroad, being gone about fifteen months.  On his return he again engaged in hotel-keeping, and remained in business until November, 1880.  He was married July 1, 1866, to Miss Ada Hayes, daughter of John J. and Susan (Lochary) Hayes, and granddaughter of William and Agnes (Sheridan) Hayes, and Patrick and Sarah (Martin) Lochary and great-grand-daughter of Joseph and Nancy (Moore) Hayes, and John Lochary, and finally, great-great-granddaughter of Anne (Nixon) Hayes.  Lulu Gracia, born Feb. 15, 1872, is their only child.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 653
JOHN M. COCHRAN, Lafayette township; carpenter, West Lafayette; born Aug. 9, 1830, in Ellallsville, Jefferson county; son of Jacob Cochran, a native of Pennsylvania, of Irish decent; lived on a farm until about twenty-six years of age, when he commenced his present trade, after which he spent two years prospecting in the west.  In 1861 he enlisted in  Company D, Sixteenth O. V. I., three months' men) and re-enlisted in Company I, Fifty-first O. V. I., and served two years and nine months, and re-enlisted as a veteran in same company and regiment, and served until the close of the war, getting his discharge late in the fall of 1865, having served nearly five years; was captured twice but soon re-captured by his own comrades.  At the close of the war, Mr. Cochran located in West Lafayette and resumed his trade, and has followed it to the present time.  Mr. Cochran was married in 1865 to Miss Eliza Cutter, daughter of Benjamin Cutter, of Lafayette township.  They have had four children, Casader, Clesson, Loney and Berdell.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 653
JOSEPH A. COCHRAN, farmer; postoffice, West Lafayette; was born in this county in 1839, and married in 1864 to Mary Ann Miller, who was born in this township in 1843.  They have seven children - Hattie E., Jeremiah A., Samuel M., Charles E., Perry O., William M. and Jesse.  He was a soldier in the late war, a member of Company D, Sixteenth regiment O. V. I., and served out the time of his enlistment.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 ~ Page 653
BENJAMIN COE, Coshocton, Ohio; dealer in stoves and manufacturer of tin, copper and sheet iron ware; also tin roofing and spouting.  Mr. Coe was born Dec. 6, 1847, in Coshocton, Ohio, where he has spent almost his entire life.  When about fifteen, he began working in the Coshocton paper mills and continued there two years.  In 1864, he began his present trade and worked three years, then went to Oden, Illinois, and remained there but a short time, then returned and engaged with Shaw & Sandsmith, of whom he learned his trade.  He next engaged with Harbaugh & Smith, with whom he continued until April, 1869, when he became partner in the firm of Robertson & Coe.  In 1871, this partnership was dissolved and Mr. Coe successively became foreman in the shops of Palmer & Robison, Slayton & Palmer, Palmer & Robinson and G. W. Rickets & Co.  Mr. Coe bought the tools of the last named firm and formed a partnership with R. M. Elliott, which firm continued until February, 1877, since which time Mr. Coe has conducted his business alone with marked success.  Mr. Coe was married, Mar. 30, 1871,  to Miss Katie L., daughter of Urial Mills, of Salem, Marion county, Illinois.  They are the parents of two children, viz.:  Laura A., and Harry W.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 654
E. V. COE, Coshocton, Ohio; photographer, 226 Main Street.  Mr. Coe was born Dec. 9, 1837, in Coshocton, Ohio; son of Benjamin and Ruthanna (Decker) Coe, of Orange county, New York.  They came to Coshocton about 1833 and were married in the house now occupied by John Burt, Sr.  They became the parents of eight children, viz.:  William H., Elias V., Henrietta (deceased), Benjamin, Annie, Reuben (deceased), and Almeda.  All are married and live in this county, excepting Annie, who resides at Dennison, Ohio.  Elias V. began the practice of his art Sept. 15, 1862, with G. A. McDonald, with whom he associated thirteen years and one month.  Then he bought out Mr. McDonald and became sole proprietor of his present gallery, which is supplied with all the modern improvements and facilities for doing all kinds of photographic work in first class order.  Mr. Coe was married June 7, 1868, to Miss Eliza E., daughter of Gabriel and Catharine R. (Rogers) Clark.  They are the parents of four children, viz.:  George B., Agnes M., Stella and Samuel R.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 654
WILLIAM H. COE, painter and printer, Coshocton, Ohio; was born Dec. 14, 1834, in Coshocton, Ohio; son of Benjamin and Ruth A. (Decker) Coe.  Young Coe was brought up and educated in his native city.  At eighteen he went into the Coshocton Republican Printing office, where he remained about three years.  From the Republican office he went to the Democrat office, where he remained until he enlisted in Company A, Sixteenth O. V. I., for four months.  ON his return home he went into the Coshocton Paper Mills, where he remained about three years.  Then he followed painting until the Coshocton steel works opened, when he went into these works, where he has continued to the present time.  Mr. Coe was elected city clerk in 1862, and re-elected in1863, 4, and 5, and also elected to the same office in 1872 and 3.  In 1879 he was elected township clerk and served two years.  Mr. Coe was married Oct. 7, 1862, to Miss Susan, daughter of Gabriel Clark.  They are the parents of seven children, viz.: Emma, Mary, Nora, Glen W. (deceased) infants, twin boys, died, not named, and Edna.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 654
ADAM COFFMAN, Jefferson township; harnessmaker; postoffice, Warsaw; born in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, June 2, 1850; son of Frederick and Mary (Swift) Coffman, and grandson of Adam and Elizabeth (Darner) Swift.  Mr. Coffman labored on the farm, in his boyhood, until about the age of 17, when he began clerking in a grocery store, for William Baad, in Warsaw, and remained with him about two years.  He then engaged as clerk with Shaffner Brothers, and remained one year.  He then returned to harnessmaking, which he had learned with his uncle, Charles Senft, between school hours.  In December, 1872, he purchased an interest in S. Hook's harness shop, and continued about two years at it; then became the sole proprietor, and is, at this writing, doing a very fair business.  He was married Oct. 1, 1874, to Miss Susan Bumgardner, daughter of John and Mary (Linebaugh) Bumgardner.  They are the parents of two children:  Wilbert O., born, Apr. 10, 1876, and Evert D., born Oct. 11, 1877, died in December, 1877.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 654
WILLIAM COFFMAN, Jefferson township; harnessmaker; postoffice, Warsaw; born in Jefferson township, Coshocton county, Oct. 23, 1854, brother of Adam Coffman; son of Frederick and Mary (Senft) Coffman.  He attended school and worked on the farm until the age of twenty-one, when he began learning the harnessmaking business, with his brother, in Warsaw, with whom he is still engaged.  Mr. Coffman is a fine workman, and makes light work a specialty.  He is a promising young man, esteemed and respected by all.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 654
STEPHEN COGNION, Linton township; farmer; postoffice, Wills Creek; born June 6, 1852, in Franklin Township; son of Stephen and Rosella Cognion, natives of France; came to America about the year 1848,and located in Franklin township, from which he came to his present resident in Linton township, in 1868.  They are the parents of five children, three sons and two daughters.  When Mr. Cognion came to America he was poor, but by the united labor and economy of himself and family, they have obtained a good home and farm.  Of the children, Mary is married to William Krominaker; John is married to Catharine Doll; Magdaline is married to John Switzer, Stephen and Nicholas are unmarried.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 655
THOMAS W. COLLIER, Coshocton; born Apr. 22, 1844, in Carrollton, Ohio; son of Thomas W., a native of Virginia, of English ancestry.  At seven years of age he began to set type and remained six years, then attended school one year and then resumed his place in the printing office.  In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Sixteenth O. V. I., and served three months.  In November following, he enlisted as a private n Company F, Eightieth O. V. I.  served to the close of the war.  He was successively promoted to first sergeant, second lieutenant, first lieutenant, and appointed adjutant and commissioned Captain of Company , in October 1864.  He was provost marshal from June 1, 1865, until mustered out.  Captain Collier was married Apr. 14, 1864 to Miss Kate Pinehart, of New Philadelphia.  This union was blessed with one child, a daughter, Minnie Wylly.  Captain Collier was appointed postmaster of Coshocton, in May 1869, and held the office until 1881.  He was editor and proprietor of the Coshocton Age from Sept. 1, 1866, to April 1, 1878.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 655
THOMAS COLLOPY, Linton township; farmer; born in Limerick county, Ireland; the son of Patrick and Catherine (Stanton) Callopy.  In 1825, he married Miss Margaret, daughter of Richard and Nora (Donaly) Bulman.  She was born in county Cork, Nov. 10, 1805.  In 1826, they emigrated to America, remaining in Albany county, New York, till the fall of 1835, when they came to their present home in Linton township.  Their children, ten in number, are as follows:  Catherine, Hannah, John, Richard, Mary J., Margaret, Lizzie, Anna, Michael and Thomas.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 655
A. N. COMPTON, Coshocton, saddle and harness manufacturer and dealer in saddlery hardware; was born Nov. 5, 1846, in Rappahannock county, Virginia; son of A. P. Y. Compton, who was American born, of English ancestry.  Young Compton was raised on a farm until fourteen years old, when he was apprenticed to the saddlery and harness trade for three years.  He then went to Loudon county, Virginia, and served under instructions three years.  In 1868 he opened a shop at Flint Hill, in his native county, and conducted it about four years.  In 1872 he came to this county and settled at Roscoe, where he continued his business until April, 1880, when he occupied his present room, which is sixty-five feet long by twenty-two and a half feet wide, being the largest in the county used for like business.  This large room is well filled with goods manufactured in the establishment, together with a fine stock of saddlery hardware.  Mr. Compton was married Nov. 22, 1874, to Miss Mary F. Carroll, daughter of Michael Carroll, deceased, of Roscoe.  This union was blessed with two children, a daughter, Annie L., and a son Edward M.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 655
ELISHA COMPTON, Jackson township; retired farmer; postoffice, Roscoe; born in Culpepper county, Virginia, Sept. 9, 1816; son of George and Sarah (Duke) Compton, of Irish ancestry.  Elisha was raised on the farm, which business he successfully followed during his long life.  Mr. Compton was married Dec. 9, 1841, to Huda Anne, daughter of Jeremiah Hays, of Virginia township.  This union was blessed with nine children, John, Mary Ann, R. T., Jeremiah, George, deceased, Harvey, Eliza Jane, deceased, Alice and Camilla.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 655
J. A. COMPTON, Coshocton, dealer in musical instruments and sewing machines; was born Jan. 10, 1850, in Jackson township; son of Elisha Compton, born in Virginia, of English ancestry.  Young Compton was raised on the farm, and left it when about twenty-one years of age and entered the Ohio Wesleyan University, and remained three years, with the exception of teaching school one term.  In the year 1873, Mr. Compton established his present business, in which he is doing well, having handled during the past year from 300 to 400 sewing machines, about fifty organs and a number of pianos.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 655
J. F. COMPTON, druggist, 402 Main street, Coshocton, Ohio.  Mr. Compton is a native of this county; was born in Jackson township, Dec. 16, 1847, and received his preparatory education in the district of that vicinity, and also took a course at the Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio, and afterward taught school for several years.  In 1870 he engaged in the drug business in Roscoe and was burned out in 1874.  He then engaged in the insurance business and continued in the same until 1877, after which he engaged with the firm of Barker, Moore & Co., wholesale druggists.  Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as traveling salesman.  In 1880 he established business for himself at his present location.  He occupies a pleasant, commodious room, 26x40, where he keeps a large stock of pure drugs, chemicals, patent medicine, oils, paints, dye stuffs, glass, toilet articles, fancy goods, trusses, surgical instruments, etc.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 656
JOHN M. COMPTON, Coshocton; attorney; born Feb. 3, 1843, in Jackson township, this county, worked on the farm and attended public school until he was nineteen years of age, when he enlisted in Company I, Ninety-seventh O. V. I. and served to the close of the war.  On his return he completed his education by going to school and teaching.  In 1867 he entered as a student in the law office of Lee and Pomerene and was admitted to practice in 1869, and since that time he has given his entire attention to his profession.  Attorney Compton was elected Mayor of the city in 1872 and re-elected in 1874, serving two consecutive terms. Mayor Compton was married June 2, 1870, to Miss Camilla Burns, of Jackson township.  The result of this union is four children, viz.: Charles B., William M., Jessie and Edward C.  Mr. C. takes an active interest in educational affairs.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 656
R. T. COMPTON, Coshocton; piano, organ and sewing machine dealer; born Jan. 19, 1848, in Jackson township; son of Elisha Compton, a native of Virginia, of English extraction; was raised on a farm.  At the age of nineteen he entered the Ohio Wesleyan University, and remained on year, after which he taught school eight years in Illinois and six years in Ohio, teaching in the towns of Chili, the Valley school, Adams' Mill school, in Muskingum County, and one year in this city.  He then traveled two years for George H. Grant & Co., of Richmond, Indiana, school furniture dealers.  He then engaged with his brother in the present business, and established it for himself in 1880.  Mr. Compton deals in three popular makes of organs, three of pianos, and the Eldridge sewing machine.  Mr. Compton was married Mar. 11, 1879, to Miss Mary Ellen Dickey, daughter of Hiram Dickey, of Mill Creek township.  He was organist in the Roscoe Methodist church for about eight years.  In the spring of 1880, Mr. Compton bought a residence on the east end of Chestnut street, which he now occupies.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 656
EDMUND CONE, farmer; Washington county; postoffice, Wakatomaka; born in South Wilbraham, Hamden county, Connecticut, in 1810.  He came to this county in 1828, and immediately engaged as teacher of the school that was about a quarter of a mile south of the present village of Carlisle.  The building was a round-log one, the fireplace extending across one entire end.  There was a spelling-book for about every five or six scholars, the cost of a speller being a bushel of wheat delivered in Zanesville.  He had an attendance of seventy scholars.  He commenced the study of medicine with his brother, J. Cone, Jr., who was practicing at this time, and was admitted to practice by the board of censors at Zanesville.  He was first married to Miss Seward, who died, and he married Miss Hawthorne.  Both were of this county.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 656
ISAAC CONNER, Monroe township; born June 29, 1837, in Monroe township, Coshocton county, Ohio; postoffice, Spring Mountain; son of James and Margaret (Holt) Conner, and grandson of Daniel and Pheobe (Penrose) Conner, and of John and Elizabeth (Conner) Holt; also; great-grandson of James and Mary Conner, and of Jesse Penrose.  Mr. Conner is a farmer and was educated in the common schools.  He was married to Mary J. Bingler, May 12, 1861, who was born Nov. 10, 1843, daughter of Michael and Mary J. (Hogbin) Bingler, and granddaughter of Jessie and Catharine Bingler, and of William and Charity Hogbin.  Their children are Joseph E., born Jan. 1, 1863; Emily N., and Susie G., Sept. 6, 1866; James S., July 10, 1873, and Mary E., Jan. 28, 1879.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 656
JOHN CONRAD, Mill Creek township, farmer; postoffice, Clark, Ohio; was born Sept. 25, 1817, in West Moreland county, Pennsylvania; son of Jacob and Mary Conrad; married Nov. 5, 1840, to Rebecca King, daughter of William and Mary M. King, who was born Dec. 26, 1822, in York county, Pennsylvania.  The children born to them are as follows:  Mary Anne, born Nov. 1, 1841; Margaret, born Nov. 9, 1842; Jacob William Henry, born Dec. 24, 1845; John Wesley, born Feb. 10, 1858; Rebecca Jane, born July 29, 1851; Maria Catharine, born Aug. 22, 1854; Henry Washington, born June 22, 1856, and Elizabeth Barbara, born Apr. 18, 1861.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 656
D. R. COOK, Linton township, farmer; born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, Mar. 11, 1803; the son of George and Mary (Robb) Cook.  His father was born in Ireland, and emigrated to America when a young man.  His mother was a native of Pennsylvania.  In the fall of 1811 he came with his father to Guernsey county; there remained till 1831, when he moved to Logan, and carried on farming and milling for sixteen years.  In 1847 he took up his residence in Linton township, and has been here since.  He was married Apr. 8, 1831, to Catharine, daughter of Thomas Johnson.  Ten children resulted from this marriag_:  Thomas, George , William C., deceased, Nancy J., John, Sarah, Amanda, deceased, Melona, deceased, James H., deceased, and David Y.  His wife having died, he was united in marriage with Lydia, daughter of Henry and Sarah Snyder, of Logan county.  Their children are, Joseph Snyder, deceased, Mary Isabel, deceased, Catharine J. and Charles T.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 657
D. Y. COOK, grocer and confectioner, Sixth street, between Main and Chestnut, Coshocton.  Mr. Cook is a native of Logan county, O., where he was born Feb. 8, 1847.  His parents came to Coshocton county when he was quite young, and he has been a resident of the county ever since.  He received his education in the district schools of Linton township and he followed joining as a  business until the fall of 1879, when he came to Coshocton and engaged in the grocery and huckster business.  He carries a good stock of staple and fancy groceries and confectioneries, and deals in all kinds of country produce, and makes a specialty of butter and eggs, in which department he runs a wagon and visits different parts of the surrounding country, in order to supply his custom with fresh supplies in this line.  He was married to M. E. Hawthorne, by whom he has four children - three daughters and one son.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 657
JAMES COOKSEY, Perry township; postoffice, West Carlisle; born in Muskingum county, in 1833; settled in this county in 1857; son of William and Elizabeth (Oden) Cooksey; married in 1857 to Sarah Lagg, daughter of Harrison and Nancy B. Cooksey.  They are the parents of three children, viz.: Celestia J., Isadora B., and Leora M. two are married.  Mr. Cooksey was raised on a farm, and has continued farming ever since.  He also deals pretty extensively in though-bred sheep.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 657
JOSEPH COOPER, Keene township; son of Ludlow H. and Mary F. Cooper, both of whom were born in Orange county, New York; grandson of Joseph and Susan (Halsey) Cooper, and of John and Mary (Howell) Seward, who was the daughter of Nathaniel and Ruth (Poppen) Howell.  His father, enlisted in Captain Freegift's company, in 1814, and served three months.  He came to Ohio, in1834.  Joseph learned the blacksmith trade, at eighteen, under C. C. Ramer; enlisted in Company A, Sixteenth O. V. I., Apr. 18, 1861; was discharged in July following, and re-enlisted.  His war record, copied from a memorial, is given below: "Joseph Cooper was mustered as sergeant of Company I, Ninety seventh O. V. I., Aug. 5, 1862, at Zanesville, Ohio; captain, Martin Wiser; colonel, John Lane; wounded at Murphreesboro', Tennessee, Jan. 2, 1863; wounded again at Mission Ridge, Nov. 24, 1863, and wounded, at Franklin, Tennessee, Dec. 8, 1864.  The battles he was engaged in, were Perryville, Kentucky, Oct. 8, 1862; Stone River, Tennessee, Jan. 2, 1863; Chattanooga, Tennessee,  Sept. 8, 1863; Chickamauga, Tennessee, Sept. 20, 1863; Lookout Mountain, Nov. 22, 1863; Mission Ridge, Nov. 25, 1863; Buzzard Roost, May 14, 1864; Altoona, Georgia, May 25, 1864; Dallas, Georgia, May 25, 1864; Marietta, Georgia, May 31, 1864; Peach Tree Creek, June 22, 1864; Kenesaw Mountain, June 27, 1864; Atlanta, July 21, 1864; Spring Hill, Tennessee, Dec. 6, 1864; Franklin, Tennessee, Dec. 8, 1864, and Nashville, Jan. 24, 1865.  He was discharged June 10, 1865, at Nashville, Tennessee."  Jan. 6, 1866, he married Lucy C. Cowee, daughter of James and Augusta (Adams) Cowee, who was the daughter of John Q. and Dorothea (Elliott) Adams. Their children are Charlie, born Dec. 18, 1866, and Mary Augusta, Apr. 13, 1872.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 657
GEORGE CORBIT, Adams township; farmer; postoffice, Evansburgh, Ohio; son of Robert and Susannah (Fuller) Corbit; was born Dec. 6, 1835, in Coshocton county, Ohio, and has remained a resident of the county all his life.  Mr. Corbit was raised on the farm, and has always followed the occupation of the farmer.  His father was of Irish and his mother of German descent, and were old pioneers of this county.  Mr. Corbit was married Nov. 29, 1857, to Miss Margaret A. Morris, of this county. They become the parents of twelve children, viz.:  Amanda, William R., Albert, Aaron, Melinda, and infant not named, Robert H., Mary, Charles, John M., Elmer and an infant not named.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 657
LEWIS CORBIT, Adams township; farmer; postoffice, Bakersville; born in Adams township, June 1, 1821; son of Robert and Susan (Fuller) Corbit, and grandson of Jessie Corbit and James and Catharine Fuller.  His father came to this country about the year 1804, with James Miskimmins, born in May, 1790.  He was married Aug. 27, 1842, to Miss Eliza Carp, daughter of Adam and Mary (Cocharn) Carp, born July 21, 1822, in Guernsey county, Ohio.  They are parents of thirteen children as follows:  John, Robert and William, deceased; James, Wilson; Sarah A. deceased; Edward, George W., Adam; Susan, Mary E., Laura A. and Almeda, deceased.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 657
J. M. COULTER, Perry township, postoffice, New Guilford; born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania; settled in this county in 1814.  He was born in 1813, and is a son of William and Susan (McCoy) Coulter.  Mr. Coulter's father held the office of county surveyor for twelve years, surveying being his calling the greater portion of his life.  J. M. Coulter was a grandson of Thomas and Lydia (Connor) Coulter, and of William and Lydia Connor.  Mr. Coulter has been twice married, first to Miss Nancy Pigman, who died in 1847.  In 1857, Mr. Coulter married Miss Sarah A. Robinson, daughter of John and Bewly Robinson.  Three children, viz: Mary J., J. R. and Joseph, were born of the first marriage; and four, viz.: Bewly, Susan V., Benjamin and Wallace, of the second.  Mr. Coulter's son, J. R., enlisted in Company A, Seventy-sixth regiment Ohio volunteers, in 1861, Captain Lemert, participating in the battles of Fort Donelson, Pittsburgh Landing, Corinth, Vicksburg, and others.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 658
HAMILTON COX, Virginia township; born in East Virginia, in 1805; settled in this county in 1830, and is a son of Samuel and Elizabeth Cox.  He was married in 1831, to Rachael Hardesty, daughter of Edmund and Ruta Hardesty.  Mr. Cox has ten children living in this county.  Postoffice, New Moscow.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 658
J. E. COX, Keene township; postoffice, Keene, Ohio; was born, in 1830, on Mill creek, Keene township, Coshocton county, Ohio.  He attended the common schools of the township until twelve years old, walking three and one-half miles, morning and evening.  When twelve years old, he attended a select school in the village of Keene, taught by Rev. J. D. Whitham, and received instruction in the higher English branches.  He attended this school three years, having to walk over three miles, morning and evening.  Mr. Cox began teaching in 1846, and is, perhaps, the oldest teacher in the county.  He taught his first school in district No. 4, Clark township, in an old log house, formerly used as a dwelling.  There was no blackboard, no desks, no furniture of any kind.  The seats were made of slabs and fence-rails, with wooden pins for legs.  The balance of the furniture consisted of hickory withes, used to encourage refractory pupils up the hill of science.  Wood was used then instead of coal.  Many times the teacher found no wood in the morning, and was either compelled to dismiss for the day, or send and borrow an ax and, by the aid of the pupils, furnish his own wood.  After he had finished his first school, Mr. Cox began the study of medicine with Dr. W. F. DeLaMater, working part of the time to pay his board and tuition.  During the winter of 1846-7, he taught school in White Eyes township.
     He then continued the study of medicine under Dr. J. Anderson, teaching in the winter and studying in the summer until he had completed the course required.  He then went Wet to earn money to attend a course of lectures.  While in the West he met with an accident which rendered him a permanent cripple, thereby changing his intentions in life.  He returned home and concluded to follow the profession of teaching, which he has successfully done ever since.  His first certificate is dated Mar. 2, 1852, and signed by Thomas Campbell, Esq., who was then acting as county examiner.  The only school that he began and did not finish was in Bethlehem township; and the failure was caused by a tree falling on the house and rendering it unfit for further use.  Mr. Cox has taught in many of the county and village schools in this county.  He has always been successful, and has never been compelled to ask the directors to aid him in governing a school, which is something remarkable considering the long time he has been teaching.  His last school was taught in district No. 8, White Eyes township, during the winter of 1880-'81.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 658
W. W. COX, Virginia township; born in this township in 1833; son of Hamilton and Rachel Cox; married in 1856 to Margaret P. Marquand, daughter of John and Martha Marquand.  They have had eleven children, ten of whom are living.  Mr. Cox has been twice elected justice of the peace of Virginia township.  Postoffice address, Dresden.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 658
ANDREW CRAWFORD, Clark township; farmer; postoffice, Clark's; born in Crawford township, June 3, 1830; son of James and Mary (Rothwell) Crawford, and grandson of Thomas Crawford, who came from Ireland.  He was married Feb. 14, 1860, to Miss Marian Shilling, daughter of Joseph and Nancy (Howenstine) Shilling, and granddaughter of George Howenstine and Joseph Shilling; she was born in Medina county, Ohio, July 13, 1838.  His father was one of the first settlers of Crawford township.  Their children are as follows:  Walter W., born Dec. 15, 1862; Cora, born Sept. 28, 1864; Frank H., born Jan. 19, 1868; Charles, born May 22, 1870; James P., born Feb. 11, 1872; Jesse L., born Mar. 10, 1874; Frederick, born Sept. 4, 1876; Stella, born Sept. 5, 1878, and Richard, born Mar. 20, 1880.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 659
J. M. CRAWFORD, Coshocton, county recorder; born May 30, 1852, in Roscoe, this county; was educated in the public schools of his native village, and at McNeely normal school.  Mr. C. commenced teaching in 1869, and taught until he entered upon the duties of his present office, in 1877.  He was re-elected to the office of recorder in 1879.  Mr. Crawford was married Oct. 29, 1875 to Miss Paulina Biggs, of Jackson township, this county.  The result of this marriage is one son, Frank L.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 658
J. R. CRAWFORD, clerk n the firm of Hay & Morley; born Sept. 27, 1849, in Crawford township; son of Scott R. Crawford, a native of the County Tyrone, Ireland.  He was raised on the farm until seventeen years of age, when he began clerking for John J. Stewart and continued a clerk to the present time.  He was married in March 1872, to Miss Mary Le Retilley, daughter of George Le Retilly of Roscoe.  To them have been born two children, George R. and another.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 658
J. W. CRAWFORD, Pike township; farmer and stock raiser; postoffice, Frazeysburgh, Muskingum county; born in this county, in 1847; son of John and Rebecca (McCann) Crawford.  He was married in 1874, to Miss Sarah M. Anderson, daughter of William and Mariah Anderson.  They are the parents of three children, viz.: William J. and Clide.  Youngest is not named.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 659
JAMES CRAWFORD, Mill Creek township; farmer; postoffice, Mound; born in1836, in this county.  His father, Oliver Crawford, was born in 1808, in Ireland.  He came to this county in 1819, and was married in 1831, to Miss Jane Irwin, of this county.  She was born in 1813, in Ireland, and died in 1855.  They were the parents of eight children, the subject of this sketch being the third.  He was married in 1862, to Miss Jane McCormick, of this county, who died in1864.  They were the parents of two children.  He, in 1874, married Miss Lucinda Babcock, of this county.  They have one child.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 659
O. CRAWFORD, Pike township; farmer; born in 1841, in this township.  His father, John, was born in 1806, in Ireland.  His father, John, was born in 1806, in Ireland.  He came to this country and county in 1813, and was married in 1832, to Miss Rebecca McCann, of Muskingum county.  She was born in 1807, in Strasburg, Virginia.  He died in 1851.  They were the parents of six children.  The subject of this sketch was married in 1862, to Miss Margaret Moore of this county.  She was born in1839, in this county.  They are the parents of four children, viz.:  Edmund, Loretta, Mary B., Rebecca E.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 659
THOMAS W. CRAWFORD, Oxford township; farmer; White Eyes Plains postoffice; son f Alexander and Elizabeth (Wilson) Culbertson, both of this county.  Mr. Culbertson was raised from the age of ten years by Mr. Solomon Vail, one of the pioneers of this county.  The subject of this sketch was born in Keene township, in 1836, and was married to Miss Martha J. Rehard, of this township.  They have had seven children, as follows:  Ellsworth, two yes, deceased; Clara B., Walter, Leonie, Charles, deceased; Lucy and Ora O.   Mr. Crawford went out in Company E, One hundred and Forty-second O. N. G., for 100 days; then, in January, 1865, he enlisted in the Eighty-eighth regiment, and served five months and twenty days, until mustered out by order of the secretary or war.  Mr. Crawford and wife are members of the Protestant Methodist church, and are highly respected by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.  His daughter, Clara, is also a member of the same church.  He owns a good farm of ninety-seven acres in this township, and is an enterprising citizen.  His mother passed away in 1851, and his father afterward married Miss Jennie Powelson, who died in April, 1858, and he died in May, 1859, one year and one month after his second wife.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 661
WILLIAM CRAWFORD, miller in Empire mills, Roscoe; was born June 18, 1857, in Roscoe; son of Robert Crawford, born in 1825 in Steubenville, Ohio, of Irish descent.  William entered the above mills in 1875, where he has remained to the present time.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 659
WILLIAM H. CRAWFORD, Mill Creek; farmer; postoffice, New Bedford; born in 1839, in this township.  His father, Andrew Crawford, was born in County Donegal, Iceland, and came to this county in 1820.  He was married in 1837, to Miss Margaret Irwin of this county, who was born in 1813, in Ireland.  She came to this country in 1824, and died in 1867.  They were the parents of four children.  He married in the same year Miss Mary Ramsey of Pittsburgh.  The subject of this sketch is the oldest child.  He was married in 1865, to Miss Mary Colloredo, of Holmes county, who was born in 1844.  They are the parents of three children, viz.:  Sarah Angie and Augusta.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 659
JAMES CRIDER, laborer; Tiverton township; postoffice, Union, Knox county; born June 15, 1854, in Holmes county.  He came to this county in 1868, and was married May 18, 1876 to Miss Alvira Stricker, of Holmes county, who was born in 1860, in this county.  They are the parents of two children, viz.:  Anna O., born Apr. 9, 1877, and Joseph A., born Mar. 7, 1879.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 659
MICHAEL CRILE, Crawford township; farmer; postoffice, Chili; born Mar. 21, 1833, in Holmes county; son of Conrad and Elizabeth (Holderbum) Crile.  Mr. Crile was married, Jan. 24, 1856, to Miss Margaret, daughter of Jacob and Mary (Rider) Deeds, of Pennsylvania.  They have had eight children - Mary E., married to George W. Everhart, Jacob C., Margaret M., married to Byron Johnston, Michael A., George W., Austin D., Cora C. and Caroline F.  Mr. Crile has a comfortable home for himself and family.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 659
JOHN CRISWELL, Linton township; wagonmaker at Plainfield; born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, Apr. 19, 1833, son of James and Margaret (Miller) Criswell.  His mother's parents emigrated from Ireland.  His father come to Guernsey county about 1836, and to Oxford township about 1847.  John remained on his father's farm there two years, then learned his trade with his brother Robert, at Adamsville, and, after working in Coshocton six months, he, in 1854, opened a wagon shop in Plainfield.  During the greater part of the year 1864, he was employed by the government, in the wagon department, at Nashville and Chattanooga. In March, 1865, he enlisted in the service and was discharged the following November.  Since that time he has followed his trade in Plainfield.  He was married, Oct. 4, 1855, to Mary, daughter of John Bonce, born in Loudon county, Virginia, and emigrated with her mother to Muskingum county when a young girl.  His children are Sarah Jane, deceased, James H., deceased, Mary Alice, Nar. O., David Martin and Delora May, twins and Susan.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 659
MARION CRITCHFIELD, Tiverton Township; farmer; postoffice, Yankee Ridge; born in 1834, Apr. 22, in Knox county.  He was married Oct. 7, 1858, to Miss Mary S. Block, of the same county, who was born Oct. 24, 1841.  They came to this county, in 1867,and are the parents of one child, Clinton A., born July 8, 1858.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 - Page 659
CONRAD CROFT, Crawford township; farmer; postoffice, Chili; born March 3, 1843, in Mill Creek township; son of John and Catherine (Conrad) Croft; came to Crawford township in the spring of 1868, and to his present residence in 1872.  He married December 5, 1867, Catherine; daughter of Christian and Rebecca (Lower) Fisher.  Sarah Ellen is their only child.  Mr. Croft has succeeded well, having a comfortable home for himself and family.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
FREDERICK CROFT, Mill Creek township; farmer; postoffice, New Bedford, Ohio; was born Aug 20, 1837, in Mill Creek township; son of John and Catharine Croft; was married in 1868 to Lucinda Keehn, who was born in Holmes county, February 1, 1849, daughter of Frederick and Mary Keehn.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
JOHN CROFT, Mill Creek township; farmer; postoffice New Bedford; born in 1809, in Wurtemberg, Germany.  He came to this country in 1817, landing at Philadelphia, and came to this county in 1821.  He was married in 1828, to Miss Catharine Conrad, of Holmes county, Ohio, who was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, in 1810.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
JOHN J. CROFT, Crawford township; postoffice, New Bedford; of the firm of Brown & Croft, hardware dealers; was born April 20, 1841, in Mill Creek township; son of John and Catherine (Conrad) Croft.  He followed farming until 1876, when the present firm was formed.  Mr. Croft was married April 16, 1872, to Miss Mary Ann, daughter of Henry and Rebecca ____.  They have three children, Milton H., Percy A. and Claudius O.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
SOLOMON CROFT, Mill creek township; farmer; postoffice, New Bedford, Ohio; born in Mill Creek township, Oct. 30, 1847; son of John and Catharine Croft; was married November 11, 1875, to Amanda Olinger, daughter of Isaac and Sarah Olinger, who was born May 18, 1857.  The children born to them were as follows:  John F., born Oct. 28, 1876, and Catharine, born March 25, 1881.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881
EPHRAIM CULLISON, Perry twp.; postoffice, Mohawk Village; farmer and stock-raiser; born in Baltimore county, Maryland, July 11, 1822; settled in this county, in 1824; son of Carlton and Hannah Cullison, and grandson of Jessie and Notie (Wheeler) Cullison; married, in 1843, to Miss Harriet Wantling, who died May 10, 1880.  Mr. Cullison is the father of six children, viz: Mary E., William, Louisa, Hannah, deceased, Daniel and Caroline.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 ~ Page 662
MAHLON CUNNINGHAM, Washington township; farmer; postoffice, Tunnel Hill; born in 1836, in this county.  His father was born, in 1808, in Fayette county, Pennsylvania.  He was married, in 1827, to Miss Rebecca Trego, of the same county, who was born in 1805.  They are the parents of nine children.  Mahlon Cunningham was married  in 1861, to Mrs. Catherine Masten, of this county, who was born in 1840.  They are the parents of two children, viz: S. E. and Mary J.
Source: History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881 ~ Page 662
SAMUEL CUTSHALL, Adams township; farmer; postoffice, Evansburgh; born in Carroll county, Ohio, Jan. 18, 1818; son of Jacob and Elizabeth (West) Cutshall, grandson of Nicholas Cutshall and Robert West.  Grandmother Cutshall lived to the advanced age of 110 years.  Mr. Cutshall came to Coshocton county in Jan. 1841, located in Adams township, and has resided here ever since.  He was married in 1841, to Miss Margaret A. Boop, daughter of Michael and Elizabeth (Winnings) Boop, and granddaughter of Jacob and Margaret (Sigman) Boop and Samuel Winnings.  She was born Feb. 1, 1822, in Jefferson county, Ohio.  They are the parents of six children, viz: Elizabeth A., Rachel, Mary George W., Harriet A. and Emma.
Source:
History of Coshocton County, Ohio : its past and present, 1740-1881" - Newark, Ohio:  A. A. Graham & Co.,  1881

NOTES:

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
COSHOCTON COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights

..