Welcome to
 Columbiana, County,



(Source #1: Mack, Horace - History of Columbiana County, Ohio : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
Philadelphia: D. W. Ensign & Co., 1879, 372 pgs. )

(Source #2 - History of Upper Ohio Valley - Vol. I - Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891)

(Source #3 - History of Columbiana County, Ohio:  Historical Publ. Co. Topeka - Indianapolis - 1926)

(Source #4 - History of Columbiana County, Ohio and Representative Citizens
edited and compiled by William B. McCord, Salem, Ohio
Publ. by Biographical Publishing Co. , Chicago, Illinois - 1905)

(Transcribed by Sharon Wick)



HARRY T. HALL, cashier of The Dollar Savings Bank, of East Liverpool, has been in some capacity or other engaged in the banking business throughout his active career and his rise has been rapid.  He possesses the essentials of a good business man, and by conscientious work and the acceptance of opportunities as they were presented has taken high rank in the business world.
     Mr. Hall was born in East Liverpool, Ohio, in 1879, and is a son of William Hall, who has resided in this city since 1874.  Our subject received a high school education in East Liverpool, and upon leaving school began his business career as messenger boy with The First National Bank, eventually rising in the service of this institution to the position of teller.  In 1902, after seven years of faithful service, he left The First National Bank to assist in the organization of The Dollar Savings Bank, of which he has since been a director and officer.  He is a man of energy and enterprise and as cashier has done much to make the bank the safe and prosperous institution it now is.
     Mr. Hall was joined in marriage with Bertha A. Dunlap, a former teacher in the East Liverpool High School and a daughter of M. S. Dunlap, of this city.  Politically he is a Republican and takes an earnest interest in the success of that party.  He is a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason, and belongs to Pilgrim Commandery, No. 55, K. T. of East Liverpool, and to Lake Erie Consistory S. P. R. S., of Cleveland.  Religiously, he and his wife are Presbyterians.
Source #4 - History of Columbiana County, Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. by Biographical Publishing Co. , Chicago, Illinois - 1905 - Page 716
JOHN W. HALL, the present efficient mayor of East Liverpool, is a native of Butler county, Penn., born in 1843, the son of William Hall, a mention of whom appears elsewhere.  Mr. Hall was educated in the schools of Beaver county, Penn., and the city of Pittsburg and spent some years on the farm and also assisted his father in the tanning business.  In 1862 he entered the army, enlisting in Company H, One Hundred and Fortieth Pennsylvania volunteers, with which he served until the close of the war.  He took part in a number of battles, among which were Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, and Spottsylvania Court House, in the last of which he received a severe wound.  At the close of the war he returned to Beaver county, Penn., where he remained until 1872, at which time he went west and spent some years in Colorado and other western states, during which he was engaged in different occupations.  He returned east in 1873 and one year later came to East Liverpool and engaged in different occupations.  He returned east in 1873 and one year later came to East Liverpool and engaged in contracting and building, and afterwards purchased an interest in the Union planing mill, with which he was connected for about one year.  Since that time he has been variously employed, principally in the lumber business, the latter of which he carried on successfully until elected to the office he now holds.  Mr. Hall is one of the leading democrats of Columbiana county, and his popularity is attested by his election as mayor, in which he overcame a republican majority of 800.  He is a Presbyterian in his religious affiliations, and also belongs to the G. A. R. and N. V. U.  He was married in 1875 to Miriam Sweeney, of Beaver county, Penn., a union blessed with the birth of the following children:  Sarah J., Cora B., Nancy W., John W., Mary H., Oliver J. and James S.
Source: History of the Upper Valley - Vol. II - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 325
ROBERT HALL, the leading lumber dealer of East Liverpool, was born in the city of Pittsburg, Penn., in the year 1846.  His parents, William and Jane (Bigger) Hall, were both natives of Pennsylvania, and of Irish descent.  William Hall was a tanner by trade, and followed that occupation at Jefferson, Penn., for a number of years.  He raised a family of six children and died in the year 1854.  Robert Hall was educated in the schools of Pittsburg, and gave his attention to farming until 1864, when he enlisted in company H, One Hundred and Fortieth regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers with which he served until the close of the war.  He took part in several battles, among which were the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Petersburg and others, and was twice wounded, though not severely.  At the close of the war he returned to his home in Beaver county, Penn., and engaged in the carpenter's trade which he followed until 1873 when he came to East Liverpool, and began contracting and building, also dealing largely in lumber and selling for the local and general markets.  He commenced business upon a small scale, but has largely increased his trade until he is now one of the largest lumber dealers in this part of the Ohio Valley.  He is a well respected citizen, a member of the First Presbyterian church of East Liverpool, and also belongs to the G. A. R.  He is director of the First National bank and is otherwise identified with the business interests of the city.  Mr. Hall was married in 1871 to Elizabeth McHenry who bore him four children: Mary C., Charles H., Robert G., and  Lizzie J.  His first wife dying, Mr. Hall subsequently married Rosa Robb, of Pennsylvania, and by her has three children, viz.: William G., Ralph T. and Ethel, all living.
Source: History of the Upper Valley - Vol. II - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 326
ROBERT T. HALL, deceased, was a prominent pottery manufacturer and eminent citizen of East Liverpool, where he was born Mar. 23, 1877, and died Nov. 18, 1920.  He was the son of Robert and Elizabeth (McHenry) Hall.
     Robert Hall
was born in Pittsburgh, Pa., but when a young boy moved to Beaver County, Pennsylvania,, where he grew to manhood at Frankford Springs, not far from East Liverpool.  During the Civil War he served three years in the 140th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, his military record including Fredericksburg, the wilderness and fourteen others.  After the war he learned the carpenter's trade, and for many years was a contractor and builder in East Liverpool.  He was the founder of the Hall Lumber Company, and an organizer and first president of the Citizens' National Bank.  He was also interested in the Hall China Company, all of East Liverpool, but his time was largely given to the affairs of the Hall Lumber Company and to his contracting business.  He was an active member of the Presbyterian Church and of the Grand Army of the Republic and was a Republican.
     Robert Hall married Elizabeth McHenry, who died in 1880, leaving four children: Mary married Frank Simmers; Charles, a resident of East Liverpool; Robert T., the subject of this sketch, and Elizabeth, married Josiah T. Herbert.  Mr. Hall's second marriage was to Rosa Robb, and to this union the following children were born:  William, deceased; Ralph, a resident of California; Ethel resides in Cleveland, Ohio, and Harold, a resident of Delaware, Ohio.
     Robert T. Hall attended the schools of East Liverpool, Kenyon College, a military school in Gambier, Ohio, and was a student at Wooster University at the time of the outbreak of the Spanish American War.  He was commissioned second lieutenant, 8th Regiment, Ohio National Guard, in 1897, and was commissioned a similar rank of Company E., when his command was mustered into the United States service, April 26, 1898, for service in Cuba. He saw active service in Santiago, San Juan Hill, Aguadores and El Caney, being with his company from July 7 until August 18, 1898, and was mustered out the following November 1.
     After his return from the army, Mr. Hall entered the office employ of the United States Pottery Company of Wellsville, Ohio, there continuing until 1901, when he became associated with the newly organized East Liverpool Potteries Company, a consolidation of six of the going pottery concerns in and about East Liverpool.  In 1904 that consolidation was dissolved, and the Hall China Company restored to the original ownership, the Hall family.  Shortly afterward Robert T. Hall became the business head and one of the principal owners of that concern.  He took hold of the business at a time when the pottery industry of this country was in anything but a prosperous condition.  The manufacture of the original line of earthenware was gradually discontinued, and Mr. Hall became the pioneer in this country, if not in the world, in the production of a completely viterous, white-lined, fire-proof cooking ware.  The extraordinary merit of the goods was soon recognized, and from that moment success was assured.  The demand grew so rapidly that it was difficult to increase production capacity to keep pace with it.  Eventually it became necessary to add a second plant, which was completed and placed in full operation but a short time before Mr. Hall's death.  He had not only given to East Liverpool one of its most important industries, but one unique in the country, and of such merit to add much to the reputation of his native city, and of the pottery industry of America.
     As general manager and one of the principal owners of the Hall China Company, Mr. Hall became a dominant figure in the business life of his city, and in January, 1920, when the Hall China Company bought the Goodwin plant and remodeled it, it gave him additional and greater responsibility and prestige.  He was not only secretary - treasurer and general manager of the Hall China Company, and one of the best known men in the pottery business, but was a director of the Potters' National Bank, Potters' Building and Savings Company, member of the Chamber of Commerce, and had a hand in every public enterprise of merit put forth in the interest of East Liverpool.
     Mr. Hall's ancestry being purest American, while in sagacity, integrity, and public spirit he was a fine example of the American business man and citizen.  Genial and friendly, he had a host of friends whose society he enjoyed, but he possessed a faculty for self-enjoyment, being fond of golf and all out-of-door sports.  Mr. Hall took a deep interest in the East Liverpool Country Club, and was its first and only president until his death.  This club, which he aided in organizing, has fine grounds and is one of the leading country clubs of the Ohio Valley.  He was a Republican, and a member of the Emanuel Presbyterian Church.  He was affiliated with East Liverpool Lodge, No. 258, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and the Beta Theta Phi college fraternity.  During the World War, in which he was anxious to serve as a soldier but was refused the opportunity, he took an active part in all war activities, and the success of the various Liberty Bond and war charities campaigns may in a large degree be attributed to Mr. Hall.
 On June 20, 1905, Mr. Hall married Millicent Everson Thompson, a daughter of John C. and Charlotte (Winteur) Thompson.  Mr. Hall built a beautiful home on Park Boulevard, East Liverpool, Ohio, and there he spent his happiest hours, indulging in his great love for flowers, plants, trees and shrubs in making the grounds attractive.  Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hall: Robert Thompson; John Thompson, and Everson.  Mrs. Hall continues her residence with her children at the Park Boulevard home.  They are members of Emanuel Presbyterian Church, in which Mr. Hall is an active member.
Source #3: History of Columbiana County, Ohio:  Historical Publ. Co. Topeka - Indianapolis - 1926 - Page 609
GEORGE HAMMOND, one of Madison township's most respected and intelligent citizens, was one of six children born to Peter and Eliza Hammond, the other children being: Darvin, who died when eleven years old; Mary Jane, died in early youth; an unnamed infant that died in infancy; Sarah, now living at the homestead, and Susan, wife of Joseph McLaughlin.  Peter was born in Westmoreland county, Penn., in 1804, the son of Jacob Hammond, who moved to Ohio from Westmoreland county, Penn., in 1815, and settled in West township.  The journey was made across the mountains in a covered wagon, at a time when the country was infested with savage men and beasts.  Peter helped his father to clear out the land for farming, and was given as much schooling as possible.  He enlisted in the war of 1812, but before reaching the scene of the conflict the trouble had been settled.  Jacob died in 1832, or 1833.  Peter married Eliza Decker, daughter of Joseph and Catherine Decker, who were of Dutch descent.  After her husband's death Catherine Decker came to Ohio and located at New Lisbon, about 1817.  She died in Stark county in 1865.  Peter Hammond, who was a bricklayer, died in 1845, after having lived a life of usefulness and having raised a large family of children.  Both himself and wife were devoted members of the Lutheran church, and died in that faith.  George Hammond, the subject of this mention, was born in Starke county, Ohio in 1844.  After he was eight years of age the means for his subsistence depended entirely upon himself.  He went to live with a man by the name of George Fultz, who soon after became his step-father.  Mr. Hammond enlisted in the rebellion, on the Union side, in Company B, One Hundred and Forty-third Ohio national guards, and served until his term of enlistment and expired.  He was honorably discharged at Camp Chase, and returned to his home where, in 1872, he was united in marriage to Annie Knepper, daughter of Joseph and Priscilla Knepper.  Their children are: Maud, Harry, George A., Ida May (deceased), Clifford, Willie (deceased), Homer, Lillie and Le Roy.  Mrs. Sarah Negus, a sister of Mr. Hammond,  who resides with her mother, was born December 10, 1837, and was reared by her aunt, Mary Sanor.  She married John T. Negus, and had one son.  The father died of small-pox while in the service of his country during the late war.
Source: Henry of Upper Ohio Valley - Vol. I - Madison, Wisc. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 168
AMBROSE HANCOCK, a highly esteemed and prominent citizen of East Liverpool, where he is secretary of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, is a native of England.  He was born at Ironbridge, Shropshire, Oct. 14, 1870, the son of John and Mary (Fox) Hancock.
Both John Hancock and his wife were natives of England, where they spent their entire lives.  He was a blacksmith by trade and for many years served as foreman of the Coalbrookedale Iron Company.  He lived retired before his death, which occurred in 1913.  He was a prominent politician an active supporter of the Unionist party.  His wife died May 24, 1898.  Mr. and Mrs. Hancock were the parents of seven children:  Joseph, lives in England; Alfred and Harry, both deceased; Edwin and Annette, who live at Ironbridge, Eng.; Ambrose, the subject of this sketch; and John, lives at Yorkshire Eng.
     Ambrose Hancock received his education in his native land and attended the School of Arts at Coalbrookdale, Eng., where his instructors numbered Messrs. Gibbons, Spencer, and Gates, three of England's leading art directors.  Mr. Hancock spent some time in the employ of the Craven & Dunnill Tile Company.  In 1904 he came to the United States and settled in East Liverpool, where he entered the employ of the Knowles, Taylor & Knowles Pottery Company, with whom he remained until 1914.  He then engaged in the restaurant business until 1918 and has since that time devoted his time to the Fraternal Order of Eagles.
     On May 13, 1912, Mr. Hancock was married to Rachel (Cartwright) Greenwood of East Liverpool, the daughter of Thomas Cartwright, a native of England, now deceased.  By her first marriage Mrs. Hancock had four sons: Henry, Alfred G., and Edward; and William, deceased.
     Mr. Hancock was elected secretary of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, Aerie No. 457, East Liverpool, in 1912 and served in this capacity for four years.  He was again elected in 1922.  He is Past Worthy President and Deputy Grand President for this district.  He is a Republican and a member of the Episcopal Church.
Source #3 - History of Columbiana County, Ohio:  Historical Publ. Co. Topeka - Indianapolis - 1926 - Page 509
FRANK J. HANLON is a progressive business man of East Liverpool, where he is a proprietor of Hanlon's Grinding & Machine Shop.  He was born at Port Washington, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, Sept. 3, 1885, the son of Michael E. and Elizabeth (Getmann) Hanlon.
     Michael E. Hanlon
was born at Wellsville, Ohio, Jan. 1, 1865.  At an early age he learned the machinist's trade, at which he was employed practically his entire life.  He died Oct. 20, 1921, and is buried in the catholic cemetery, Wellsville.  His wife, who was born at Port Washington, Ohio, May 22, 1860, resides at Wellsville. To Mr. and Mrs. Hanlon were born eight children, as follows:  Frank J., the subject of this sketch; John, born in 1887, employed by the Pennsylvania Railroad at Wellsville; Ellen, married William S. McHugh, lies in Cleveland; Charles, employed by the Pennsylvania Railroad at Wellsville; Thomas, born Aug. 2, 1895, enlisted with the Rainbow Division, 42nd Division, was a member of Company E, 166th Infantry, and was killed in action, Aug. 2, 1819, is buried in France; Mary, married Harry N. Dawson, lives in East Liverpool; William, lives at Wellsville; and George, born in 1903, lives at Wellsville.  He enlisted in the army after the armistice and was in service for 18 months.
     Frank J. Hanlon received his education in the parochial schools of Wellsville and when a young man learned the machinist trade in the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad, at Allegheny, Pa.  In 1904 he went with the Mesta Machine Company of West Homestead, Pa., but later returned to the Pennsylvania Railroad and was employed at Fort Wayne, Ind.  In 1908 Mr. Hanlon  was transferred by the company to Wellsville, and the following year he became connected with the East Liverpool Traction and Light Company as a machinist, in whose employ he remained until 1918.  He then went with the Stevenson Company of Wellsville and in 1921 engaged in business at Wellsville.  In April, 1923, the business was removed to East Liverpool.  Hanlon's Grinding & Machine Shop is electrically equipped throughout and is equipped to do cylinder grinding and practically all automobile work of that nature.  Mr. Hanlon's shop operates a cylinder grinder, shaper, lathe, drill press, piston grinder, bearing machines, and electric score filler.
     On Nov. 26, 1906, Mr. Hanlon was united in marriage with Miss Martha E. Waltmire, of Hayes, Pa., the daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth WaltmireMr. Waltmire is deceased and his wife resides at East Liverpool.  Mr. and Mrs. Hanlon have no children.
     In politics Mr. Hanlon is identified with the Republican party.  He is a member of the First Presbyterian Church, East Liverpool and is a 32nd degree Mason and a member of the Al Koran Shrine, Cleveland
Source #3 - History of Columbiana County, Ohio:  Historical Publ. Co. Topeka - Indianapolis - 1926 - Page 507
ELI HARMAN, a prosperous farmer of Unity township, owns a valuable farm of 227 acres in section 11.  He comes of a prominent old family of this township, and is held in the highest esteem by his fellow-citizens.  He is now living a retired life.
     Mr. Harman was born on the old home farm in Mahoning County, Ohio, and is a son of Solomon and Leah (Mellinger) Harman, and grandson of John Harman who took up a section of land in Mahoning County, Ohio.  Solomon Harman located in Beaver township, Mahoning County, at the same time as his parents, and lived there until 1849, when he came to Unity township, Columbiana County, purchasing the Eyster place, which consisted of a little more than 109 acres and was partially improved.  There was an old log building on the place and into this he moved with his family.  As time went on he made many improvements on the place.  He lived here until his death in 1872, his wife having preceded him some years.  They were the parents of 10 children, of whom a daughter, Elizabeth (Mrs. Jehu Clupper), resides in Unity township and Daniel lives in Greene township, Mahoning County.
     Eli Harman was reared on the home farm and has always followed farming.  Upon the death of his father, he purchased the interests of he other heirs to the home farm, and kept it until he transferred it to his son.  Aaron Calvin Harman, in whose name it still stands.  Our subject's farm of 227 acres in Unity township is well improved and under a high state of cultivation.  He is a trustee of Unity township, has served as assessor and has always worked for the advancement of his home community.  He has served on the School Board and is a director of the First National Bank, of East Palestine.  In Politics, he is a stanch Democrat.
     Eli Harman was married to Mary Elwonger, who died leaving one son, Oliver, who is a core-maker at Leetonia.  He subsequently married Louis Floor and to them was born one son namely: Aaron Calvin, who was married Dec. 22, 1891 to Ida Wilhelm Strawheeker of Unity township and a daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Wilhelm) Strawheeker; they have two sons, Gaylord and MiltonEli Harman, after the death of his second wife, married his sister-in-law, Elizabeth C. Floor, and they have one son, Clarence Edwin, who was married Nov. 10, 1903, to Anna Shaffer, a daughter of Albert Shaffer, of Unity township; they have an infant son, - Audis Raymond Williard.
Source #4
- History of Columbiana County, Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. by Biographical Publishing Co. , Chicago, Illinois - 1905 - Page 644
RICHARD M. HAUGH, one of Wellsville's enterprising and successful business men, is the son of William and Janet Haugh, who had eight children, as follows:  Nancy, wife of Robert Welch, now deceased; Janet, wife of Robert Taggart, deceased; John, deceased; William, deceased; Margaret, deceased; Andy, a resident of Turtle Creek; Samuel, deceased, and Richard M.  The latter is the principal of this mention.  The father was born in Scotland and came to this country while a young man.  For several years he was employed as a foreman in the Penn Cotton mills, and later became head foreman of the Arbuckles mills.  He was discharging the duties of the latter position at the time of his death, in 1853.  His wife followed him to the grave in 1870, and they are both sleeping side by side in the Hillsdale cemetery, of Allegheny, Penn.  The mother was a devout member of the United Presbyterian church, and raised her family in the same faith.  Richard first saw the light of day at Allegheny, Penn., in September, 1847.  His boyhood was passed in the public schools of that city and in working at add jobs until his seventeenth year, when he began to learn the machinist's trade.  After working at his trade for sixteen years, he had saved enough to embark in the livery business.  For the three first years he continued by himself, but at the expiration of that time, took a man by the name of Ward into partnership with him.  During the two last years of the three in which they remained together, they were engaged in the undertaking business in connection with the livery.  Since dissolving this partnership Mr. Haugh has continued to carry on the undertaking establishment, and now has a large business in both that and the livery.  On the 20th of November, 1870, he was joined in marriage to Miss Mary Turner, and their union has been blessed by the advent of seven children to their home, viz.:  William J., Flora M., Ida I., John R., Charles T., Mary B. and Carl.  Mr. Haugh is a progressive man and his energy and industry have been rewarded by prosperity.
Source: Henry of Upper Ohio Valley - Vol. I - Madison, Wisc. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 339
NATHAN HEACOCK was born in Rockhill township, Bucks Co., Pa., Apr. 16, 1783.  He was the son of Jeremiah and Sarah Heacockb.  Jonathan, the grandfather of Jeremiah, emigrated from Staffordshire, England, to America about the year 1711, and settled in Chester, Delaware Co., Pa.  He and his wife, Ann, brought with them from England a certificate of their rights of membership in the Society of Friends, which has been continued in a direct line to the present generation.  William, the son of Jonathan, was born in Marple, Chester Co., Pa., Jan. 13, 1716.  He subsequently settled in Rockhill township, Bucks Co., Pa., where he married Ann Roberts, a lady of Welsh descent.  He and his son, Jeremiah, were both millwrights, and were owners of a saw- and grist-mill in Bucks County.  Sarah Heacock, the mother of Nathan, was the daughter of James and Ann Morgan, also of Welsh descent.  Her father, while on the road with his team, was forced into the service of Gen. Braddock, and was at Fort Duquesne (now Pittsburgh) at the time of the memorable defeat of the British in 1755.
     About the year 1790, Nathan's father, Jeremiah Heacock, sold his property in Bucks Co., Pa., and removed to Northampton Co., Pa., where he remained some seven years.  In that rough backwoods region was the boyhood of Nathan spent.  His father, Jeremiah, died Jan. 1, 1797, in the fifty-eighth year of his age.  This event produced an entire change in the course of his son, whose career we are briefly depicting.  With a brother younger than himself he went on foot forty miles from their late residence to the neighborhood of his grandfather's place, in Richland township, Bucks Co., Pa.  Remaining in the family of Joseph Custard for three years, he was apprenticed to John Trumbower to learn the wagon-maker's trade.
     Sept. 9, 1806, he married Dinah Dennis, daughter of Amos and Jane Dennis, and settled with her mother, who was a widow, in Richland township, Pa.
     In 1813, he removed to Columbia Co., Pa.; but three years later he came to Ohio, and settled in Goshen township, Columbiana (now Mahoning) Co., about two miles northwest of Salem.  Here for several years he battled with the forest, and by perseverance and frugality earned a living, but his limited means becoming involved, in 1821 he sold his farm and sought another location "farther in the woods."  At the Steubenville land-office he "entered" the southwest quarter of section 28, in Smith township, Columbiana (now Mahoning) Co.  The parchment deed, which gave him title to this tract, was signed by President James Monroe, and is now in the possession of his son, who retains the old home.  This land was in what was then known as the "beech woods," and was considered by the early residents as scarcely worth possessing.  But good cultivation and careful management have made it one of the finest farms in the county.  The following incident, which occurred at the time of their removal to their new and forest home, will illustrate some of the hardships of the pioneers:  Nathan and his two eldest sons went to the first of the week to their place to chop, taking a week's provisions with them; the early summer weather, warm and showery, caused their bread to mould, and to make their allowance hold out the allotted time they concluded to eat the worst portions first.  As it moulded as fast as they consumed it, their fare consisted of mouldy bread through the entire week.  When ready to return home, they went to the house of their only neighbor, Daniel Barton, a mile distant, to get  meal to sustain their strength for an eight mile walk.  And the good wife gave them plentifully of corn-cake. Mr. Heacock often remarked that he thought this was one of the best meals he ever ate. 
     After building his log cabin, he moved his family to the wilderness home Apr. 3, 1825.  By diligent labor they soon had a comfortable home.
     Mr. Heacock was one of the few who, in 1829, erected a building and opened a Friends' meeting (Hicksite) two miles south of the centre of Smith township.
     His family consisted of eleven children, - eight sons and three daughters, - namely:  Jane D., born in Bucks Co., Pa., Aug. 12, 1812; married Ezra Barton, 1832; died January, 1837.  Edwin, born in Bucks County, Apr. 19, 1811; married Hannah Barber, 1836; is a farmer, located near his father's place.  Milton, born at Fishing Creek, Pa., Dec. 23, 1815; is a carpenter by trade, and built the house shown in the illustration of Mr. Heacock's farm; was twice married, - to Rebecca Thomas, 1838 (deceased), and Hannibah Passmore, 1846; he now resides in Oregon.  Barton, born in Goshen township, Columbiana Co., Ohio, Jan. 13, 1818; married Rachel Barber, 1839; a farmer.  Asenath, born at Fishing Creek, Pa., June 26, 1814; married Nathaniel Thomas, 1841; at present living in Iowa.  Amos D., born in Bucks Co., Pa., Oct. 27, 1808; died at his father's home, in Columbiana Co., Ohio, Nov. 18, 1841.  Uriah A., born in Goshen township, Columbiana Co., Ohio, June 14, 1819; married Sarah Barber, 1843; died May 1854.   Elias H., born in Goshen township, Jan. 6, 1821; married Eliza T. Thomas in 1843, and settled on his father's place; was killed, by being thrown from a wagon, January, 1850.  Josiah W., born in Goshen township, July 8, 1824; died January, 1852. Tacy, their third daughter and youngest child, was born in Smith township, Mahoning Co., Ohio, Apr. 22, 1827; married Milton Coffee, 1852, and now resides in Williams Co., Ohio.
     Enos Heacock, the present proprietor of the old  homestead, and son of Nathan and Dinah Heacock, was born in Goshen township, Mahoning Co., Ohio, Sept. 5, 1822.  When he was three years old his parents removed to the neighboring township of Smith.  His opportunities for obtaining book-knowledge were limited; but, growing up in the midst of the forest, he became a great lover of nature.  In 1830 the first school was established in his neighborhood, and this he attended.  At the age of ten he went to live with a married sister, in Lexington township, Stark Co., Ohio, and while residing there witnessed the remarkable meteoric shower of the fall of 1833.  In 1835 he returned to his father's house, and thenceforward was a diligent laborer on the farm, in the days when scythe and flail held sway, and before reapers and mowers had won the field.  In 1851 he obtained, partly by purchase  and partly by bequeathment, a portion of his father's land, and thus became possessed of the old homestead.  In that year the Ohio and Pennsylvania (since merged into the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago) Railroad was opened through his farm.  He was married Sept. 30, 1852, to Ann Taylor, daughter of Jacob and Anna Taylor, of Chester Co., Pa.  To them were born three children, - Jacob T., Nov. 11, 1854; Addie, June 27, 1860; and Nathan E., Aug. 21, 1866; the former deceased 1864.  Addie was married May 1, 1879, to William Tombaugh.
     Dinah Heacock
, mother of Enos, died from a stroke of palsy, Jan. 29, 1854.  His father, Nathan, departed this life in 1866, the 26th day of the sixth month, in the eighty-fourth of his age.
Source:  History of Columbiana County, Ohio  - Philadelphia: D. W. Ensign & Co., 1879 - Page 314
G. W. HENRY.  One of the most prominent educators of Columbiana county, is G. W. Henry, superintendent of the Leetonia public schools.  Prof. Henry was born in Columbiana county, in 1856.  His parents were William and Keziah (Wiley) Henry, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively.  G. W. Henry's early life was spent in obtaining a preparatory education.  In 1873 he entered Mount Union college, attending the same three terms in the year, and teaching during the winter season.  He graduated in 1876, taking the degree of Ph. B, has recently been honored with the degree of Ph. M., by his Alma Meter.  After graduation, he spent one year reading law with Shober & Raley, of Carrollton, Ohio.  In 1877, he was elected principal of the New Lisbon high school and held that important office for five years.  At the expiration of this time, he was elected to fill the position of the superintendent of the Leetonia public schools, and has since continued in the discharge of the duties of his responsible position.  He took Miss Olive Williams to wife in 1877.  Mrs. Henry is the daughter of Levi Williams of Madison township, Columbiana county, Ohio.  Prof. and Mrs. Henry  are the parents of three children:  Byron, Virginia B. and Martha C.  The father is a member of the Masonic order, Leetonia Blue lodge and Salem chapter.  The family are communicants of the Disciples church.  Prof. Henry's life of probity and energetic labor has won for him the respect and esteem of a host of friends and acquaintances.  His scholarly attainments and many noble qualities have won the love and esteem of the pupils who have received their school equipment under his supervision.
Source: Henry of Upper Ohio Valley - Vol. I - Madison, Wisc. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 253
(Portrait of Sanford Hill)
  For over half a century one of the best known citizens of the county was Sanford C. Hill, who was born near Pughtown, W. Va., on the 20th day of June, 1796.  From the time he was old enough he regularly attended school, and obtained an early, liberal education.  In 1813, with the consent of his parents, he was employed as a clerk in a Pittsburgh bookstore.  In 1818 he looked out a situation in Ohio, and entered into the mercantile business  at a public crossroad now within the limits of the town of Wellsville.  In 1819 he made a purchase in the town of East Liverpool, and removed his store to that place, being the first dry-gods store opened in the town.  Sept. 29, 1820, he was married to Vashti B. Moore, of Pughtown, W. Va.  Soon thereafter he sold out his stock of goods, and entered into a business far more congenial to his taste.  He procured a complete set of surveying and mathematical instruments, and for more than forty years made practical surveying his chief business, besides teaching students in the theory and practice of civil engineering.  For many years he spent his leisure time in studying astronomy and all the various branches of mathematics.  September 6, 1832, his wife died, leaving four children.  Nov. 10, 1833, he was again married, to Mrs. Sarah Sansbury, of Achor, Ohio, who died June 25, 1866, also leaving four children.
     In local matters in his own neighborhood he long had a controlling voice; was elected a justice of the peace for over twenty consecutive years, and did more office work as a conveyancer and counselor than, perhaps, any other man in the county.  The allotment of the different additions to the town of East Liverpool were nearly all laid out by him.
     For forty-two years in succession he made a series of almanac calculations for the various publishers of the country.  It was through this instrumentality that his name became a household word, and Sanford C. Hill's almanacs were to be found in almost every family, especially in the West and South.
     He was a frequent contributor of mathematical and astronomical articles to the leading periodicals of the country, and was regarded as high authority upon all subjects of that nature.  His talents and acquirements were recognized and acknowledged among men of science.
     He died on the 17th day of April, 1871, aged seventy-four years, nine months, and twenty-seven days.  His remains are interred in the East Liverpool Cemetery, and the grave is marked by a plain marble monument, bearing the text of the funeral discourse pronounced in his memory in the Presbyterian Church, in which he had long been a ruling elder: "Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright; for the end of that an is peace."
(Source #1: Mack, Horace - History of Columbiana County, Ohio : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
Philadelphia: D. W. Ensign & Co., 1879
- Page 186

West Twp. -

J. L. Hime

John Hime

John Crisinger

Residence of J. L. Hime
West Twp., Columbiana Co., OH
JOHN L. HIME was born Oct. 4, 1823, in Guilford township, Franklin Co., Pa.; assisted his father (who was a blacksmith) at intervals in and about the shop from a very early age until in his seventeenth year.  In the year 1840, the family, in company with those of three of his uncles, emigrated to Ohio.  John Heim (the father) purchased 72 acres of what was then commonly called Hahn's section (section 8), in West township, Columbiana Co., where the subject of this sketch assisted in clearing up the farm, going to the district school during the winter term.  When in his twentieth year, at the urgent request and solicitation of his father, but against his own inclination and desire, he went to Andrew Deppen, of New Franklin, Stark Co., to learn the trade of saddle- and harness-making; he served two years and nine months for the sum of sixty-dollars, washing, mending, and two weeks free each harvest.  After learning his trade he taught school two terms of three months each in Paris township, Stark Co., and one term of four and one-half months in West township, Columbiana, Co.
     Married Judith Crisinger, Oct. 20, 1849.  Of this union were born two children, viz.: Mary E. and Mary S.  Mary E. is married to a Mr. Burger.  In 1849, John L. Hime located in New Chambersburg and engaged in the saddle and harness business until the spring of 1864, when he moved on the northwest quarter of section 15, having purchased it two years previous of George Messimore.  Has been postmaster at New Chambersburg from September, 1853, to April, 1864; has held the office of township treasurer five years, and clerk of the township two years.  In politics is a Republican.  The father of Mrs. Him (John Crisinger) was born Jan. 8, 1806, in Somerset Co., Pa.  Within a year after his birth his father moved to Columbiana Co., Ohio, and settled near Dungannon, on section 35, in Hanover township.  John Crisinger resided her with his father until 1840, when he purchased one hundred acres of land in the northwest part of section 33, in Knox township, Columbiana Co., and resided there until 1873; he then sold his farm and purchased a house and lot in Moultrie, where he died of paralysis, August, 1874, in the sixty-ninth year of his age.  During his residence in Knox township he held the offices of township trustee and township treasurer.  In the early part of his life he united with the Lutheran church; in later life he joined the Presbyterian.  Politically a Democrat.  In 1826 he married Salome Lindesmith, who is yet living.  Had seven children, - four sons and three daughters, - two sons and three daughters yet living.
     The father of Mr. Hime (John Hime) was born in Northumberland Co., Pa., Oct. 24, 1794, and although his father was a school-teacher, the son was in school only four weeks, and that in a German school, - the German language being used exclusively in that neighborhood until within the last fifty years.  John Hime worked on his father's farm, which was poor and rocky, until he was apprenticed to a blacksmith.  After working at his trade four or five years he took to tramping, with a view of seeing more of the world, and settled in Franklin Co., Pa., where he subsequently married, and bought five acres of land and a house for nine hundred dollars.  At the time of purchasing he had not one dollar to pay for his property, yet he managed to pay for it and save some money besides.  Worked at black-smithing for twenty-six years.  Married three times, - first wife of Miss Burkholder, who died shortly after marriage; second wife Catharine Lehman, who died in 1834, the mother of six children, two of whom survive, viz: J. L. Hime and Mary Hahn; third wife, Martha Burkholder, who died in 1854, the mother of five children, one only living at this time, viz.:  Elizabeth Knight.  John Himes died of paralysis in November, 1870, in the seventy-seventh year of his age.  He was in politics a Democrat; in religion a Lutheran.
Source:  History of Columbiana County, Ohio  - Philadelphia: D. W. Ensign & Co., 1879 - Page

Source: History of the Upper Valley - Vol. II  - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 182


Source: History of the Upper Valley - Vol. I  - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 219


Source: History of the Upper Valley - Vol. I  - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 218

  GEN. EPHRAIM S. HOLLOWAY, son of John and Lydia (Dixson) Holloway, was born in Fairfield township, Columbiana Co., Ohio, July 27, 1833.  He was raised upon a farm, and pursued that calling until 1857.  His education was obtained by an irregular attendance at a district school during the winter months each year until he arrived at the age of seventeen; but his lack of proper educational advantages were compensated in part by a resoluteness of purpose which has been a leading characteristic in all his undertakings.  from 1857 to 1861 he followed the carpenter and joiner business.
     In October, 1861, he enlisted in the army as a private soldier in Company F, 41st Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and in the organization of the company was by a unanimous vote of the same elected first lieutenant.  early in December he was required to take command of the company, which he retained until relieved, by promotion to the command of the regiment, early in the Atlanta campaign in 1864.
     During four and a quarter years of service he was almost constantly on duty with his company and regiment, and of the fifty-eight engagements in which his regiment participated, among which were Shiloh, siege of Corinth, Perryville, Stone River, Woodbury, Chickamauga, Brown's Ferry, Bald Knob, Mission Ridge, Rocky-face Ridge, "Resaca, Picket's Mills, Adairsville, Cassville, Kenesaw Mountain, Chattahoochee River, Peachtree Creek, Jonesboro', Franklin and Nashville, he participated in fifty-four.  On the 28th day of July, 1864, in front of Atlanta, he was selected by his brigade commander, Gen. William B. Hazen, to lead an assault upon a strongly posted line of the enemy, which had been attempted on the day previous by Gen. Gross's brigade, assisted by a battery, but failed after considerable loss.  The assault was made across an open field through a marsh, a distance of about four hundred yards.  Gen. Holloway with one hundred and fifty picked men from his regiment deployed as skirmishers, dashed across the field through the marsh and into the enemy's lines, capturing twenty-eight prisoners, with a loss of but two men.
     He was commissioned first lieutenant Oct. 10, 1861; captain, Sept. 8, 1862; major, Nov. 26, 1864; lieutenant-colonel, Mar. 18, 1865; and colonel, May 31, 1865.  Upon the recommendation of Maj. Gens. "Samuel Beatty, Thomas J. Wood, David S. Stanley, H. G. Wright, and P. H. Sheridan, he was appointed and commissioned a brigadier-general of volunteers by brevet, to rank as such from Mar. 13, 1865.  Gen. Beatty, in addressing Gen. Lorenzo Thomas, Adjutant-General United States Army, upon the subject, said:
     "I have the honor to invite your attention to the following brilliant record of Col. E. S. Holloway 41st Regiment Ohio Veteran Volunteers, and respectfully recommend his promotion to the rank of brigadier-general of volunteers by brevet.
     "Col. Holloway entered the service as a private on the 10th day of October, 1861, and was soon after commissioned first lieutenant and served in that capacity during the siege of Corinth.  He commanded a company in the campaign through Northern Mississippi, Alabama, and Middle Tennessee, and in the Kentucky campaign under Gen. Buell  He was commissioned captain on the 8th of Sept., 1862, and served in the campaign against Murfreesboro' and Tullahoma, under Gen. Rosecrans, in 1862 and 1863, and in the Atlanta campaign under Gen. 'Sherman.  He commanded the regiment in the campaign through Northern Georgia and Alabama, and in the retreat from Pulaski to Nashville.  He was commissioned major on the 26th of November, 1864; lieutenant-colonel on the 18th of March, 1865, and on the 31st day of May, 1865, he was commissioned colonel, but could not be mustered in consequence of the regiment being reduced below the minimum number.  He has participated in the battles of Perryville, Stone River, Picket's Mills, Franklin, and all the skirmishes and battles in which his regiment has been engaged, and was severely wounded at Kenesaw Mountain, June 21, 1864, while advancing the skirmish line. Col. Holloway has served constantly with his regiment at the front since its organization in 1861, and is a strict disciplinarian and an excellent officer, and I recommend that this rank of honor so justly earned may be conferred upon him."
     In indorsing the recommendation of Gen. Beatty, Gen. Stanley said: "As commander of the 4th Army Corps I have, for the last year and a half, known Col. Holloway.  I fully concur with the recommendation of Gen. Beatty, and commend him to the government as a gallant, energetic, and meritorious officer."
     After the long service with his regiment, on its  return to Ohio to be mustered out of service, and on the eve of muster-out, the officers called upon the colonel and presented him with the following testimonial, signed by every commissioned officer of the regiment.
            "CAMP CHASE, Ohio, Nov. 25, 1865.
"Col. E. S. Holloway.
            "41st O. V. V. I.
SIRThe time has arrived for us to part.  Before we separate, however, permit us to express the deep sense of the obligations we are under to you for the courtesy and kindness you have always shown us in all our social and official relations, and to bear testimony to your gallantry on the field of battle, your care and consideration for the sick and wounded, and to assure you of our lasting friendship and regard.  You go back to civil life with the prayers and good wishes of the many whose fortunes you have shared during the four long years of the rebellion.  They wish you prosperity, happiness, and honor in the future; they are proud of your record, and proud of the record the regiment has maintained under your command; they will emulate your example in the future, and ever regard the honor and interests of their country more than life itself; they will refer to the great battles and campaigns in which they have been engaged with no greater pride than they will with gratitude for their long-tried comrade and commander, and now ere they part from you, they tender you the homage of grateful hearts, and beg leave to subscribe themselves through every fortune your sincere friends."
     A day or two later, after all had again returned to civil life, the late officers of his command presented him with further testimonials in the shape of a fine gold-headed cane and superb editions of Hume's and Macaulay's "Histories of England," Bancroft's History of the United States," and Scott's "Poetical works."  The presentation was made by Brevet Lieut. Col. McCleary in a short address, which was responded to by Col. Holloway, who had been taken entirely by surprise, in a few words expressive of his heart-felt thanks for the parting testimonials he had received.  The enlisted men of his regiment had a short time previously presented him with a solid silver set of four pieces, costing $150, as a testimonial of their regard for him as their commanding officer.
     On returning home from the army he resumed the carpenter and joiner business, which he followed until the first of March, 1868, at which time he was appointed superintendent of the Enterprise Agricultural Works, which position he held until September, 1873.
     In November, 1871, he purchased a half interest in the Independent Register office, and in addition to his duties as superintendent of the Enterprise Works, took editorial charge of the paper.  In June following he purchased his partner's interest (Mr. N. E. Nold) and has since that date owned and controlled the paper now published under the firm name of E. S. Holloway & Sons.
In politics he has been a life-long Republican, and has taken an active and influential part, both in his county, district, and State.  In 1873 he was elected as representative in the State Legislature, and re-elected in 1875.  Of his career in the General Assembly, Senators W. P. Howland and R. G. Richards write us:
     "Hon. E. S. Holloway was elected a representative of Columbiana County in 1873, and re-elected in 1875, thus serving in that capacity for four years.  During that time there was not a more faithful and conscientious member of that body.  He was known and admitted to be one of the most useful and able men of the Sixty-first and Sixty-second General Assemblies.
     "In the Sixty-first he took a leading part on the standing committees of insurance and public printing, and was appointed  on the following committees of investigation: to investigate and report upon the conduct of the officers of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Orphans House at Xenia; also as to the necessity of providing further protection to burial grounds; was chairman of a committee to investigate and report on the management of the Ohio penitentiary under the administration of Col. Junis  During the progress of the investigation Gen. Holloway displayed the qualities that gave him his reputation and rank in the military service; for, despite all the obstacles with which the military service; for, despite all the obstacles with which the opposition endeavored to obstruct the course of the investigation, he conducted the work with indomitable will and unflagging zeal, and, although in the minority on the committee, set forth in his report facts that could not be successfully contradicted, and laid open to the General Assembly the errors and weaknesses of that administration, which brought about a willing reorganization on the part of the opposition, and saved to the State that important institution from general confusion and extravagance.  The labor was so severe that the general's health failed him, and he was on that account confined to is room for nearly two weeks.
     "Then came what is known as the Wood County Investigation.  A large and persistent lobby had for two sessions infested the State capital, for and against the removal of the county-seat of Wood County form Bowling Green to Perrysburgh.  The Perrysburgh party were at last victorious, but it was openly charged that corrupt measures had been used, that money had been tendered and taken by some of the members, for either withholding their opposition, or favoring removal.  Never in the history of the State was there a more heated contest, more bitter feelings and harsher language used in the course of legislative investigation than upon that occasion.  Night after night, for over two weeks, the examination of witnesses continued, interspersed with frequent sharp and bitter contests as to rulings, etc.  A report was finally reached, finding several guilty of attempts to bribe some of the members, and part of the committee, of which Gen. Holloway was one, made a report recommending the expulsion of certain members.  Thus, with courage and a high sense of honor, he maintained, with a few others of his associates on that occasion, the regard and dignity due the Legislature of a great State.
     "During the Sixty-second General Assembly he was made prominent on the committees on penitentiary and reform schools; was chairman of the committee on retrenchment, and saved to the State by one act alone $7000 annually, in abolishing a needless office that had been little less than a sinecure for years.
     "It was during this term that General Holloway unearthed the outrageous abuses practiced by the parties in charge of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Orphans Home at Xenia, which resulted in the reorganization of that institution.  Although maligned and misrepresented, he stood firmly by his guns until he accomplished what brought that favored institution to a condition better than it had ever before enjoyed.
     "The General was the author of several measures that will eventually result in great good to the commonwealth and in the interests of justice and humanity; among them was a bill providing for district reform prisons.  The bill gave evidence of great labor and research; it provided for intermediate prisons where those found guilty of minor felonies could be confined, where those young in years and crime could be separated from older and confirmed criminals; thus giving an opportunity for their reformation.  Without extending this sketch to greater length, it is due General Holloway to say, that he is a man whose love of country, whose sense of duty and whose abilities are of such a character and of so high an order, that in whatever position he may be placed, his services would be valuable and satisfactory to all those who, like himself, have the greatest good to the greatest number as their object."
     In April, 1877, he was admitted to the bar, in Columbus, Ohio, and commenced the practice of law Nov. 1, 1877, and is rapidly building up a lucrative practice.  On the 29th of April, 1852, he married Miss Margaret Windel of Fairfield township, who was one year his junior.  There have been born to them five children, as follows:  John W., Orlando T., Theron W., Owen B. and Carrie, four of whom are living, Theron W. having died at the age of two and one-half months.
(Source #1: Mack, Horace - History of Columbiana County, Ohio : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers. Philadelphia: D. W. Ensign & Co., 1879 - Page 152
GUSTAVUS H. HUFF, one of the most respected citizens of Middleton township, was born in that township in 1825.  He was reared on his father's farm, and was given a good education in the common schools.  Upon reaching his twenty-fourth year Mr. Huff married Sarah E. Rose, daughter of John and Sarah Rose, both Virginians.  The daughter, Sarah E., was born on the farm where Mr. Huff now lives  Eight children have come to bless this happy home, their names are given below  Deborah, who is the wife of John T. Ward; William S., Lizzie, Matilda J., wife of George Dyke; Jane E., Anson, and two others who died in infancy.  Mrs. Huff died in 1882, and he was again married, Ester Guy, daughter of John and Matilda Guy, becoming his wife.  This marriage has resulted in the birth of two children:  Alva and George.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Huff are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Mr. Huff makes a business of general farming and also raises stock for the market.  He is a prosperous, progressive farmer, and is so recognized throughout the township.
Source: Henry of Upper Ohio Valley - Vol. I - Madison, Wisc. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 182
WILLIAM HUFF was the son of Gustavus and Margaret Huff, the former of whom was born in Loudon county, Va., and came to Ohio with his parents, when they settled on the middle fork of Beaver creek in 1804.  At that time there were but two houses in New Lisbon.  When Gustavus Huff married Margaret George, a daughter of William George, they became among the first settlers of Elk Run township.  After his marriage he settled in Middleton township,.  He was born in 1793, and died in January, 1869.  His wife lost her eyesight in 1870 and lived until 1885.  Both these were Godley people, and were earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  William Huff was born in 1821.  He was reared on a farm and given a common schooling.  In 1843 he married Annie Bard, daughter of Henry Bard. To this union three children were born: Elizabeth, wife of Jesse Morlan; William H. and Margaret W., the wife of James Bacon.  In 1850 Mrs. Huff died, and two years later he took Sarah A. Rudebaugh to wife.  She was the offspring of John Rudebaugh.  The second wife born him eleven children:  Elzar, wife of James Gillispie; John E., Mrs. Angeline Dyke, Hugh B., George E.,  Mrs. Celeta Davidson, Simeon E., Mary, Myrtie and Eva.  Mr. and Mrs. Huff are active members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  For a period of eight years he was a trustee of the township, part of his term having been during the war when there was much more required of trustees than now.
     A representative farmer of Middleton township, Columbiana county, Ohio, is ISAAC HUSTON, who was one of the five children born to Benjamin and Hannah Huston, the names of the others being:  Edward (deceased), John, Mrs. Mary Burson, and Elizabeth, wife of John Burson.  Benjamin Huston was born in Maryland in 1788, and came to Ohio with his parents in his early youth.  They settled near Archer village, or rather what is now Archer village, spending the first winter in the log cabin.  The father entered a quarter -section of land, which was afterward owned by Edward.  After reaching the years of manhood Benjamin entered a quarter-section of land for himself, subsequently purchasing an additional quarter section, upon which his son Isaac now lives.  Benjamin died in 1861, and his wife followed him to the grave in 1885.  She was a daughter of John Booth, who lives in Middleton township.  Isaac Huston first say the light in 1831, in Middleton township.  Having received a good common school education, and having been reared on his father's farm where he learned practical agriculture, he, when twenty-seven years of age, married Miss Margaret Jane Huff, daughter of Gustavus and Margaret Huff, both Ohioans.  The father died in 1870, and the mother in 1885.  Five children have been the issue of the marriage of Isaac Huston and Margaret Huff, named as follows:  Mrs. Emma Addis, George C., a resident of Colorado; Anson J., now living in Elk Run township; Rena, wife of John Wollam; and Elva.  Mr. and Mrs. Huston are earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he is a steward.  For twelve years Mr. Huston has filled the office of township treasurer with satisfaction to all concerned.  His fine farm consists of over 300 acres.
     The HUSTON FAMILY has long been prominently identified with the advancement and growth of Columbiana county.  Members of the family have held many offices of trust, which have been gladly assigned them by the pubic from time to time.  John Huston has had a long and honorable career.  He was born in 1822, in Columbiana county, his father having settled there in 1804.  He helped his father to clear the farm, remaining with him until he reached his twenty-seventh year, at which time he was joined in marriage to Miss Margaret Burson, a daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth Burson, natives of Loudon county, Va., who settled in Ohio at an early date.  Mrs. Mary Addis, Sarah E., Rebecca A., Benjamin, Sarnira, wife of Paul Fitsimmons, and Hally I., are the offsprings of this happy marriage.  For seven or eight years John Huston served as township trustee, his course during that time having met with much approbation.  Both himself and wife are members of the Methodist  Episcopal church.  He is a successful, progressive farmer, and by his life of probity and fair dealing has won the esteem of those who have come to know him best.
Source: Henry of Upper Ohio Valley - Vol. I - Madison, Wisc. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 183

This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights