OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
(Source #1: Mack, Horace - History of Columbiana County, Ohio : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
Philadelphia: D. W. Ensign & Co., 1879, 372 pgs. )
(Source #2 - History of Upper Ohio Valley - Vol. I - Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891)
(Source #3 - History of Columbiana County, Ohio: Historical Publ. Co. Topeka - Indianapolis - 1926)
(Source #4 - History of Columbiana County, Ohio and Representative Citizens
edited and compiled by William B. McCord, Salem, Ohio
Publ. by Biographical Publishing Co. , Chicago, Illinois - 1905)
(Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
MARTIN T. ABBOTT, vice president of The Stevenson Company, Wellsville, is among the successful and well known business men of Columbiana County. He was born at Patriot, Ind., Nov. 10, 1877, and is the son of Thomas and Almira (Humphrey) Abbott.
Thomas Abbott, a native of Massachusetts, settled in Switzerland County, Ind., during the early days and became a prosperous farmer and stockman. He was a Republican, a member of the Methodist Church and affiliated with the Masonic Lodge. He died in 1904 and his wife, a native of Switzerland County, Ind., died in 1922. To Mr. and Mrs. Abbott were born ten children as follows: Arthur, deceased; James W., lives at Warsaw, Ky.; Hulda, the widow of Thomas C. Gillis, lives at Troy, Ohio; Elizabeth, deceased, was the wife of Louis Wilson, Cincinnati, Ohio; Rev. Ulysses Grant, a minister of the Methodist Church, Indianapolis, Ind.; Cornelius H., deceased; Theodore, lives in California; Ella, married Clarence Keaton, lives in Crawford County, Ind.; Martin T., the subject of this sketch; and Pearl, the widow of Lemert Cook, lives in Indianapolis, Ind.
Martin T. Abbott spent his boyhood at Patriot, Ind., and was educated there. His first employment was as a steward on government light house Steamer Golden Rod on Ohio River. He served during the Spanish-American War as a member of the Seventh United States Cavalry and was stationed in Cuba for five months. He enlisted in Cincinnati, Ohio, and was in service one year. In 1905, Mr. Abbott came to Wellsville, where he became identified with the sales department of the Stevenson Company, of which he has served as vice president since 1917.
On Oct. 12, 1904, Mr. Abbott was united in marriage with Miss Erla Stevenson, who was born at Wellsville, July 19, 1880, the daughter of Charles G. and Anna (Askew) Stevenson, natives of Ohio. Mr. Stevenson, deceased, served as president and general manager of the business and was vice president of The Peoples National Bank, president of the Home Savings and Loan Company and was also president of Chamber of Commerce. He died in September, 1917, and is buried at Wellsville. His wife resides with her daughter, Mrs. Abbott. Another daughter, Mary, married W. E. Paisley, auditor of the Valley Camp Coal Company, Cleveland. Mr. and Mrs. Abbott have no children.
Mr. Abbott is a staunch Republican, a member of the United Presbyterian Church and is affiliated with the Masonic Order, being the 32nd degree Mason, a Knight Templar and Shriner. He is also a member of the Rotary Club of East Liverpool, Clasifaction foundry and machine manufacturer. Mr. Abbott is a stockholder of the Peoples Bank of Wellsville. During the World War he was one of the three manufacturing committee for all World War drives and was city chairman for war savings stamps. He is a man of progressive ideas in his business and a citizen of whom the community is proud.
(Source #3 - Page 428)
ROBERT T. ABRAHAM, the popular postmaster of East Liverpool, is a native of Columbiana Co., Ohio, and the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Abraham. The paternal grandfather of the subject was John Abraham, a native of Westmoreland county, Penn., who moved to West Virginia at an early day and settled on a tract of land opposite the city of Wellsville. Later, about 1810 he moved to Columbiana county and located on Long's Run, where he resided until 1859, at which time he emigrated to Indiana and settled in Greene county, where his death occurred in 1862. His son, Thomas Abraham, father of the subject of this mention, was born in the year 1817, and in early life served an apprenticeship of three years at wagon-making, but never followed that occupation to any considerable extent. He spent a number of years in the river trade, but afterward engaged in agricultural pursuits on land, the greater part of which is now included within the city limit is of Liverpool. He married while quite young, Miss Elizabeth Quinn, daughter of John Quinn, the latter one of the early settlers of this county, having made improvements here as long ago as the year 1810. To Mr. and Mrs. Abraham were born four children, all of whom are now living. The father and mother departed this life in the years 1859 and 1849 respectively. The immediate subject of this mention was born July 5, 1847, and received his educational training in the public schools of the county in which he obtained a knowledge sufficient to enable him to enrage in the profession to teaching. He taught for some time in Indiana and in the fall of 1865 went west and spent about three years in different western states and territories. It was during that time he made a trip from St. Joseph, Mo., to Denver, Colo., driving an ox team and walking the entire distance there and back. In August, 1858, he returned to Columbiana county and for three succeeding years was a resident of the same, making his home during the greater part of that time in East Liverpool. He afterward made another trip to the west and spent about four years, principally in Texas, Colorado and other parts, and then returned to Ohio and finished his trade of stone mason, which he followed for some years in this city and county, where he did a large business in contracting and building. In 1884 he was elected street commissioner of Liverpool, the duties of which position he discharged for four years. Owning to impaired health he was then compelled to abandon his trade and in 1887 was appointed postmaster of East Liverpool, an office which he has since held very efficiently and satisfactorily to the public. Mr. Abraham is a public spirited citizen, fully alive to the general welfare of the city and county, and is one of the leading democrats of Columbiana county. He has gained the good will of all, irrespective of party affiliation, and is widely and favorably known throughout this part of the Ohio Valley. He is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to the Blue lodge and chapter. Mr. Abraham and Miss Inez M. Kerr, of Beaver county, Penn., were united in the holy bonds of matrimony in 1878 and their wedded life has been blessed by the following children: Janet E., Thomas, Eva W., and Adell, all living.
Source #2 History of the Upper Valley - Vol. II - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 286
DR. C. F. ADAM, of East Liverpool, is a successful and widely known dentist of Columbiana County. He was born in this city, July 13, 1890, and is the son of George M. and Hattie (Pettit) Adam.
George M. Adam, deceased, was a veteran of the Civil War. He was a carriage and harness maker by trade and with his brother, M. B. Adam, engaged in business at Lisbon, Ohio. He was retired from business at the time of his death in October, 1916. Mr. Adam served throughout the Civil War with the 84th Ohio Volunteer Infantry and was taken prisoner at Harpers Ferry. He was a lieutenant at the time of his discharge and was one of the organizers of the General Lyon Post. Grand Army of the Republic, East Liverpool. Hattie (Pettit) Adam was the daughter of Austin J. and Martha Pettit. He was a justice of the peace at Smith's Ferry, Pa., for many years and a prominent Mason of that section, having held the 32nd degree. He was the first worshipful master of his lodge. Mrs. George M. Adam; Ray T., mention of whom is made below; and C. F., the subject of this sketch.
Ray T. Adam was born at Smiths Ferry, Pa., March 25, 1888. He was reared and educated in East Liverpool and was connected with the R. W. Bell Company as their Cleveland representative. He later was identified with the America Sheet and Tin Plate Company at Chester, W. Va., until 1917, at which time he volunteered for service in the World War. He was sent to Camp Lee, Virginia, and later to Camp Meigs, where he was attached to the quartermaster's corps. He was then attached to the Motor Transport Corps, 302 Unit, and sent to England, and later to France. He was discharged at Camp Meade, Md., June 20, 1919, as a sergeant senior grade, this being the highest non-commissioned officer's rank. Mr. Adam is now successfully engaged in the real estate and insurance business in East Liverpool. He is a Republican, a member of the First Methodist Church, the American Legion, LaSociete des 40 Hommes et 8 Chevaux, and the Elks Lodge.
Dr. C. F. Adam was educated in the public and high schools of East Liverpool and in 1919 received his degree as Doctor of Dentistry from the University of Michigan. He spent the following year as an instructor in the university and in 1920 and 1921 was engaged in the practice of his profession at Monroe, Mich. He has been located in East Liverpool since 1922 with offices in the Little Building.
On Aug. 27, 1923, Doctor Adam was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Weaver, of East Liverpool, and the daughter of Charles O. and Nellie (Allison) Weaver, who live retired in East Liverpool.
In politics Doctor Adam is a Republican. He holds membership in he Methodist Episcopal church, the Masonic Lodge, Delta Sigma Delta fraternity, Corydon Palmer Dental Society, Ohio State Dental Association, and the National Dental Association. He is a progressive citizen.
(Source #3 - Page 501)
WILLIAM W. ALLEN was born in Columbiana, Ohio, April 18, 1834, the son of Jesse and Hannah W. (Icenhour) Allen. The father was a native of Chester county, Penn. He came to Columbiana county when it was a wilderness. His first business venture was in the undertaking business, in which he continued for many years. He came to Salem in 1847, and died there in 1864. He was thrice married, his first wife being Miss Mercer; Hannah Icenhour became his second wife and bore him the following named children: Thomas C., William W. and Elizabeth M., who married David E. Blackburn. Mrs. Elizabeth (Davis) Waterworst, daughter of Samuel Davis, the first settler of Salem, was his third wife. William Allen, the subject of this sketch, passed his youth at Columbiana and Salem. He was educated in the public schools and at the Wittenbury college at Springfield, Ohio. After leaving college, he entered the hotel business in Salem, being the proprietor of the Farquhar house from 1858 to 1859. He then located at Warren, Ohio, and there conducted the Gaskill house for six months, after which he returned to Salem and established a fish and oyster depot, which he has conducted since that time. He married Sarah Boswell, daughter of Peter H. and Amy (Morris) Boswell, of Salem, May 1, 1856. Their five children are: Virginia K., wife of Preston B. Lee; Elizabeth M., wife of C. E. Whinney; William H., Paul, deceased, and Frank Y. Mr. Allen is a pronounced democrat, and one of the highly respected business men of Salem.
Source #2 History of the Upper Valley - Vol. I - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 191
HON. JACOB A. AMBLER. The Hon. Jacob A. Ambler is a native of Pittsburg, Penn., and was born Feb. 18, 1829. His parents, Henry and Hannah (Speight) Ambler, were natives of England, having emigrated to America in 1822, and settled in Pittsburg, where they resided for many years. Jacob Ambler was the third son in a family of eleven children and after he attained the age of fourteen, was compelled to rely on his own resources. He acquired his education in the public schools of Pittsburg, and under the tutelage of Mr. John Kelly, a noted instructor of his day. In 1849 he came to Salem, Ohio, and there read law with his brother Henry, who subsequently became a prominent attorney of Mount Pleasant, Iowa, and was admitted to the bar in March, 1851, when twenty-two years of age. He at once began the practice of his Profession with his brother. This partnership continued for three years and was then terminated by the removal of the brother to Iowa. For the succeeding three years he was associated with P. A. Laubie, Esq., of Salem, now a judge of the circuit court of this circuit. In Oct., 1857, Mr. Ambler was elected to the lower house of the Ohio legislature on the republican ticket, resigning this office in October, 1859, to accept an appointment by Governor Chase, on the common pleas bench of the first sub-division of the ninth judicial district of the state, to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation of Judge Lyman W. Potter. In October, 1860, he was elected to the bench for the remainder of the unexpired term, and re-elected in the following year for the full term of five years. Judge Ambler was elected to represent the seventeenth district of Ohio in the forty-first congress, and was re-elected to the forty-second congress. While in the legislature, he served as a member of the committee on the judiciary, and while in congress as a member of the committee on foreign affairs and also on the committee on the revision of the laws. Since the expiration of his congressional service he has devoted his time to the practice of his profession, exclusively, with the exception of serving on the United States tariff commission, by appointment of President Arthur, the report of which commission was the basis of the tariff law of 1883. Judge Ambler was a democrat until the organization of the republican party, but since that period has been a staunch advocate of its policy. His last active service in political campaigns, however, was in 1871, when he accompanied Governor Noyes on his canvassing tour through southern Ohio. He was also a member of the Cincinnati convention which nominated R. B. Hayes for the presidency in 1876. June 1, 1852, he married Mary Steel, daughter of Andrew and Sarah (Makemsen) Steel of Salem, and by her has four children: Byron S. , Laura (Mrs. M. C. McNabb), Ralph S. and Maude. Judge Ambler is a member of the Masonic fraternity for over thirty years.
Source #2 History of the Upper Valley - Vol. I - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 192
GEORGE W. ANDERSON, one of the oldest citizens of Columbiana county, Ohio, first saw the light in Washington county, Penn., Dec. 11, 1814. His parents were Matthew and Elizabeth (Ladely) Anderson, natives of Ireland and Virginia, respectively. Matthew came to America with his parents when he was two years of age. The parents settled in Washington county, Penn., and there reared a family of three children. Matthew and Elizabeth were members of the Seceders church, but the mother subsequently united with the United Presbyterians. When fifteen years old George W. Anderson began working on a farm, and was employed both as a farmer and carpenter for several years. In 1848 he moved to Columbiana county, settling on the farm now owned by him. He has been so successful in his work that he now owns 214 acres of fine land in Liverpool township, besides land in Virginia. He has in all probability held more public offices than any other man in the township, and all of his public acts were characterized by the same energy and integrity as have dominated his whole life. Isabella Fassett, granddaughter of Thomas Fassett, who at one time owned the town of Liverpool, and in whose honor it was called Fassettstown, became his wife in 1835, and has borne him five children, as follows: Thomas F., married Martha Huston; his death occurred in 1886; Isabel and Clark are his offspring; Matthew married Zrady Huston, they live in East Liverpool, and have one child Clarence G.; Joseph R., married Ellen McDonald who died in 1890; he resides in Columbiana; John C., married Lizzie Todd, by whom he has had one child, George Archer; John manages the home farm, and is a successful and enterprising business man, and Lizzie, who lives with her parents. The family are members of the United Presbyterian church, of which the father is a trustee, having held that position for over a third of a century. The four sons of this representative family served their country in the rebellion, and they fought with the same earnestness and faithfulness that they have displayed throughout their careers. They were brave, patriotic soldiers, that, which no greater praise can be given.
Source #2 History of the Upper Valley - Vol. I - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 257)
JAMES ANDERSON, M. D., one of the most skillful and successful physicians of Columbiana county, is a native of Columbiana county, having first seen the light of Knox township, Dec. 13, 1851, his parents being William and Isabel (Little) Anderson, natives of Scotland, who settled in Knox township about 1847. Dr. Anderson was brought up on a farm until he reached his sixteenth year, at which time he entered Mount Union College, from which he was graduated in 1874. The same year he began the study of medicine with Dr. C. L. Anderson, of Homeworth, Columbiana county. In the fall of 1874 he entered the medical department of the University of Michigan, and two years later was graduated therefrom. Subsequently he graduated from the University of the city of New York. In the fall of the year 1877, a few months after completing the course of the University of New York, Dr. Anderson took up his residence in Salem, Ohio, where he began the practice of his profession. Here he has since remained, having gained a name for skill in his profession, which has resulted in giving him a large and lucrative practice. Miss Henrietta Brooke became his wife in 1877. She is the daughter of Jesse and Agnes (Diehl) Brooke, of Homeworth, Columbiana county. Their three children are: Mary, Thomas B. and Robert B. Dr. Anderson is a member of the Union Medical Society, of Columbiana and adjoining counties, and also of the Ohio State Medical Society. He is a member of the K. of P., and his family are communicants of the Presbyterian church. His political views are democratic.
Source #2 History of the Upper Valley - Vol. I - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 193
ANDREW ARMSTRONG, one of the most respected pioneer settlers of Elk Run township was born Jan. 25, 1818, the son of Andrew and Hannah (Shaw) Armstrong. The father was born in Northumberland county, Penn., in 1783, and moved to Ohio with his parents in 1799, first settling at Georgetown, where they remained for about one year, when they removed to Middleton township aud "squatted" on a piece of land in section twenty-six. Here he remained until the breaking out of the war of 1812, when he enlisted under Capt. William Faulke, serving under the command of William Henry Harrison He was with the army that cut a road from Ohio to the Maumee Valley. Two land warrants were given him by the government for his service during the war. He lived to be seventy-three years of age, and died a respected honored citizen. For several terms he was elected a trustee of the township. His parents were William and Elizabeth Armstrong. The former came to America from Ireland when quite young. Upon his arrival in this country he was sold for enough to pay his passage from Ireland. When he settled in Ohio it was not yet made a state. He "squatted" on a piece of land, ten acres of which he cleared, but the property was afterward taken from him when the land was opened for entry. Not to be discouraged he entered a quarter section of land where Clarkson now stands. Upon this he built a house upon what he thought to be his own land, but which proved to belong to another when the survey was made. He served in the Revolutionary war. Andrew Armstrong, the principal of this biographical sketch, learned to "read, write and cipher" in the log school-house before he reached his twelfth year, after which time his services were required at home on the farm. Elizabeth Bowman daughter of of Christian and Sarah (Walter) Bowman, became his wife in 1842. Mention of the latter family will be found elsewhere in this book. Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong; They are: C. Bowman, Perry M., Melissa J., George W., Sarah E., Mary H., Henry A. and Frank Siegle. Mrs. Armstrong was born in 1820, on the homestead of her family. At the age of eighteen years Andrew Armstrong began life's battle for himself, at which time he was employed as a teamster driving a six horse team to Philadelphia, having continued in this business for twelve years, during which time he managed to save up a considerable amount of money. Mr. Armstrong bought 160 acres of land in Hancock county, Ohio. He loaned a man some money who kept a store in Elkton, and was afterward obliged to take the business in payment of the debt. He remained in the mercantile business for three years, at the expiration of which period his father died (in 1855), and Mr. Armstrong then removed to the farm previously occupied by his father. Having bought the other heir's property, he now owns 163 acres of the homestead in section 22, Elk Run township, to which he has since added some seventeen acres. This farm is under the highest state of cultivation, and is a source of great credit to its owner. From 1866 to 1872. Mr. Armstrong served as a county commissioner, and for six years as a justice of the peace; he is also a trustee of the township. He was one of the commissioners when the new court house was built, in 1871-72.
Source #2 History of the Upper Valley - Vol. II - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 373
ANDREW W. ARMSTRONG was born March 17, 1834. His parents were William and Hannah (Chamberlain) Armstrong, mention of whom is made in another palce. Mr. Armstrong passed the usual happy days of a farmer's son, working on the farm in the summer season and attending school in winter. The educational advantages of that day, although not comparing favorably with those of to-day in some respects, yet were such as to fit the scholar for the hardy life of a pioneer settler. The lessons of self-denial and self-reliance taught in the old log school-houses with their chinks stopped with mud, their slab seats and stick chimneys, were lessons which eminently fitted the hardy young settler to cope with dangers and difficulties to which the boy of the present day is a stranger. Mr. Armstrong began life on a rented farm, but steadily advanced in his calling until now he is the happy proprietor of a large and splendidly improved farm consisting of 196 acres. He is considered as one of the leading farmers and citizens of the township of Elk Run, and by his life of probity and industry has gained the confidence and esteem of those with whom he comes in daily contact. Sept. 4, 1869, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary J. Turner Three children have been born to them as follows: William Albert, born Oct. 30, 1871; Kinsie Armstrong, born Aug. 17, 1881, and died Jan. 4, 1884; Edward Vale Armstrong, born Nov. 8, 1885. Mrs. Armstrong is the daughter of George and Nancy (Switzer) Turner, both of whom are descended from prominent pioneer families of Columbiana county. Mr. Armstrong was born in Virginia, Apr. 27, 1851.
Source #2 History of the Upper Valley - Vol. II - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 374
C. BOWMAN ARMSTRONG was born in 1843, in Elk Run township, the son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Bowman) Armstrong. Having completed his scholastic training, he being the eldest child it was necessary for him to remain on the old homestead and assist his father in the management of the farm. In 1862 he offered his life and services to his country by enlisting in Company G, One Hundred and Fourth regiment of Ohio volunteer infantry, under Capt. Sturgeon. After having served for nearly three years he received his honorable discharge at Raleigh, N. C. His record as a soldier was of the best, he always having been found at his post of duty. When Mr. Armstrong returned home after having given three of the best years of his life to the service of his country, he had but $300, but at once settled down to active life. His industry and enterprise have been rewarded insomuch that he now owns 199 acres of fine farming land, with good buildings, good stock and all that appertains to the successful operation of the farm. He is an honored citizen and popular with all who know him best.
Source #2 History of the Upper Valley - Vol. II - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 373
JOEL ARMSTRONG first saw the light on the morning of Aug. 9, 1808. His native element was the farm. He was born on a farm in Columbiana County. To agricultural pursuits alone he devoted his earliest and his latest labors, and no other business had sufficient charms to draw him away from his plow. Mrs. Armstrong was born in Fayette Co., Pa., Apr. 26, 1821.
The family of Mr. Armstrong consisted of eight children, of whom six are living. Ann P., born Dec. 1, 1838, died Aug. 17, 1873. Elizabeth T., born Feb. 18, 1840, was married to J. W. Templin, Oct. 18, 1860, living in Mahoning County; Wm. T., born Mar. 2, 1842, was killed at the battle of Perryville, on the 18th of October, 1862; Martha D., born Feb. 13, 1844, married to J. B. Templin, living in Nebraska; S. H., born Sept. 26, 1846, married Addie, daughter of Mathias Johnson, living on the home farm; Sarah S., born Sept. 29, 1848, married to W. H. Arnold, living in Salem; Charlotte, born Sept. 23, 1850, living at the old home; R. S., born June 21, 1853, living at the old home.
Joel Armstrong died Feb. 10, 1865; Mrs. Joel Armstrong is still living. She with three of her children, above mentioned, live at the old home. This farm was entered by the father of Joel Armstrong in 1805, owned by Joel and is now in the hands of the third generation, the son, S. H., who inserts the view of this old and much loved home. Many pleasant associations cluster around a home like this, when the forefather left a home, perchance, of comparative ease and comfort, and came to an almost unsettled country to endure the privations and hardships incident to new settlers, till his steady and earnest toil was rewarded by the blessings and crowned with the many bounties of Providence. Great changes grow out of steady and constant strokes; the sturdy forest is laid low, and there in time is reared the pleasant home, with all its cherished adornments.
Source: History of Columbiana County, Ohio - Philadelphia: D. W. Ensign & Co., 1879 - Page 300
REV. JOHN A. ARMSTRONG, who lives retired at Wellsville, is one of the highly esteemed and honored pioneer citizens of Columbiana County. He is a veteran of the Civil War. Mr. Armstrong was born in Washington County, Pa., Jan. 24, 1844, and is the son of James and Jane (Patterson) Armstrong.
James Armstrong was born in Ireland, Feb. 4, 1800. When he was two years of age his family came to the United States and settled in Washington Co., Pa., where he spent the remainder of his life as a farmer. He died March 13, 1865, and his wife died Jan. 15, 1885. They are buried in Washington county, Pa. To Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong the following children were born: James P., died Mar. 27, 1907; Esther A., died in 1904, was the wife of David Liggett; Joseph, a Civil War veteran, died in 1913; Elizabeth, died in 1923, was the wife of Robert Dever; Samuel S., a Civil War veteran, died Oct. 2, 1923; Thomas J., a Civil War veteran, lives retired in Cincinnati, Ohio; John A., the subject of this sketch; Sarah C., died in 1861; and M. L., lives in Los Angeles, Calif.
John A. Armstrong received his education in the district schools and began life as a farmer. He enlisted in 1863 for service during the Civil War and was with Company K, 46th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He participated in many major engagements of the war and was discharged July 15, 1865. Mr. Armstrong has lived at Wellsville since 1888 and has been a minister of the Christian Church since 1880. He also had various business interests during his active career and was an owner of a small tract of land before coming to Wellsville.
On Sept. 20, 1866, Mr. Armstrong was united in marriage with Miss Sarah C. Hanen, who was born in Ohio, July 2, 1848, the daughter of John and Nancy (Rawlston) Hanen, both deceased. Mr. Hanen was an extensive breeder of sheep in Washington County, Pa., for many years and was widely known. To Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong were born three children: John Charles, born Aug. 3, 1868, lives at Wellsville, where he is connected with the Pennsylvania Railroad; Emerson L., born Aug. 6, 1871, lives at Wellsville and is an engineer on the Pennsylvania Railroad; and Oscar A., who was a passenger conductor on the Pennsylvania railroad, born Feb. 27, 1879, died Nov. 17, 1921
Mr. Armstrong has been a life long Republican, and is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias, is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic of East Liverpool, General Lyons Post No. 46 and for the past three years has been Chaplin, preaching a good many of the old soldiers funerals. He is widely known and is among the leading pioneer citizens of the county.
Source #3 - History of Columbiana County, Ohio: Historical Publ. Co. Topeka - Indianapolis - 1926 - Page 936
SHARON WICK'S NOTE: For a better copy of John Armstrong's picture, please contact a library that has a copy of this History.
PERRY M. ARMSTRONG, a successful business man of New Lisbon, was born in Columbiana county, Sept. 15, 1845. He received his educational training in the public schools of Elkton, grew to manhood on his father's farm, and at the age of twenty-one engaged in teaching, which he followed for some years with flattering success. During the time that he was thus engaged he gave considerable attention to the surveying, having previously become quite efficient in civil engineering. He subsequently purchased 146 acres of land adjoining his father's farm, and established himself thereon in the pursuit of agriculture which he carried on until about the year 1882. From 1882 to 1885, he was agent for the Ohio farmers' insurance company, in which venture he met with good success, and in 1883 removed to New Lisbon and effected a co-partnership in the drug and hardware trade with S. D. Longshore, which still continues. This house carries a full stock in the above lines, and is one of the substantial business firms of Columbiana county. Mr. Armstrong is a member of the K. of P. fraternity, belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church, as does also his wife, and potentially supports the republican party. The father of the subject was Andrew Armstrong, a native of Columbiana county, born Jan. 29, 1818. He was for some years engaged in teaming from Columbiana county to Philadelphia and Baltimore on the east, and Canton and Massillon on the west, and afterward engaged in farming. In 1851 he engaged in the mercantile and hotel business at Elkton, until 1855, when he removed to the farm where he still resides. He was married in 1842 to Elizabeth Bowman, daughter of Christian Bowman, who bore him eight children, as follows: Christian B., Perry M., Mrs. Melissa Young, George W., Sarah E., Henry A., Mrs. Mary Longshore, and Frank S.
Source #2 History of the Upper Valley - Vol. II - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 207
SYLVESTER ARMSTRONG, a well known farmer of Goshen township, was born in Columbiana county, now Mahoning county, Ohio, Sept. 26, 1846, and is the son of Joel and Mary A. (Thompson) Armstrong, the father a native of Ohio, and the mother of Pennsylvania. Our subject was educated in the common schools in which he made much more than ordinary progress, and afterward attended a term at Mt. Union college with the object of preparing himself for the teacher's profession. He taught sixteen terms of school, eight of which were in his own home district, and during all of the years spent in educational work he applied for only one school, his services having been eagerly sought by his patrons, who appreciated his abilities as an instructor. While following the teacher's profession he was engaged to some extent in farming, and later began the manufacture of lumber, which he carried on in connection with agricultural pursuits for some years. For some time he has given his attention to farming and contracting, and is now one of the active, progressive and responsible men of the community. He was elected township clerk for five consecutive terms, and is now holding the office of justice of the peace, to which position he has chosen by his fellow citizens eight yeas ago. Mr. Armstrong was married in 1873 to Miss Ada Johnson, daughter of Mathias and Susan Johnson who were old and respected residents of Columbiana county. The wedded life of Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong has been blessed by four children, viz.: William, Mary, Stella and Robert, all of whom reside with their parents. Mr. Armstrong is a member of the P. of H., and is lecturer of the same at the present time. He wields an influence for the republican party, and with his wife is a communicant of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Armstrong's paternal ancestors came originally from Ireland, in which county his grandfather, Robert Armstrong, was born and raised. Robert Armstrong, in company with three brothers and a sister, came to America in the latter part of the last century and settled in Pennsylvania. He afterward moved to Mahoning county, Ohio, settling in Goshen township, on the farm now owned by the subject of his sketch and Robert Lewis, the stone residence of the latter having been erected by Mr. Armstrong in the year 1826. One of the brothers of Robert Armstrong was impressed into the service of the crown and was never afterward heard from. James, another brother, settled in Virginia, and became a prominent planter. William located in Louisiana, and became a general in the war of 1812. A sister, Mary, married a Mr. Burnside, and was the mother of Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside, who served with distinction in the late war, and afterward became governor of Rhode Island. Joel Armstrong, the father of Sylvester H., was a farmer by occupation and a well known citizen of this county. He was a prominent member of the Friends church, and to him is due the credit of establishing one of the first Sunday-Schools in this part of the country, of which he was many years superintendent. He was born August, 1808, and died February, 1865. His wife was born in 1823, and departed this life May, 1880. These parents had eight children, six of whom are living at this time.
Source #2 History of the Upper Valley - Vol. II - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 162
THOMAS S. ARNOLD (Salem Twp.), proprietor and editor of the Leetonia Reporter, was born Oct. 4, 1854, in Salem, Ohio, the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Flitcraft) Arnold. This family is descended from one of the earliest pioneer families of Columbiana county. Samuel's father came to Ohio from Philadelphia, Penn., about 1820 or 1825, and located in Goshen township. His father settled on a farm which remained in the possession of the family for many years. Samuel removed to Salem, where he learned the tailor's trade, which he followed until his removal to Columbiana, where he still resides. He married Miss Elizabeth Flitcrift, daughter of Samuel and Phoebe (Smith) Flitcraft, by whom he has had nine children, six of whom are living. They are: Josephine, Levi, Ella, Thomas S., William and Charles. Thomas spent his early life in acquiring an education in the schools at Salem. In 1869 he entered the schools at Columbiana, to which place his parents removed in that year. Until 1872 he was occupied in the pursuit of an education, after which he entered the office of Moore, Nesbitt & Co., of Pittsburg, where for three years he was engaged in mastering the printer's trade. In 1875 he returned to Columbiana, and in company with his brother, Levi, established the Columbiana True Press. In July, 1879, Thomas purchased his brother's interest, and from that time until August, 1881, he managed the business alone. At this time he came to Leetonia, and established the Leetonia Free Press. The old Leetonia Reporter was established in 1872, but when Mr. Arnold took editorial charge its name was changed to the True Press, under which name it was published for several months. It was then changed to the Leetonia Democrat, and in 1888 the old name of the Leetonia Reporter was resumed. Mr. Arnold was married July 4, 1876, at Pittsburg, Penn., to Miss Maggie Berry, a native of New York state. Their children are: Harry, Lottie and Spencer. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., of Leetonia, of the Knights of Honor, of Columbiana, and also of the Methodist Episcopal church. His wife is a Catholic. Mr. Arnold is a prominent democrat of Columbiana county.
(Source #2 History of the Upper Valley - Vol. I - Publ. Madison, Wis. - Brant & Fuller - 1891 - Page 250)
A. R. ARTER. Prominent among the pioneers of Columbiana County we find the name of Michael Arter, who came to New Lisbon (the county seat) in 1805. He was born in Maryland, and came here, with his parents, when ten years of age. In 1816 he married Lydia, daughter of Joseph Richardson. The father of Mrs. Arter was one of the best known public men of the State of Ohio, having been elected to the Legislature and Senate of the State, serving as speaker of the latter for some time.
Michael Arter moved from new New Lisbon to Hanover in the year 1816. There was then only one house in the place, the whole surrounding country being at that time almost entirely unsettled. He held many prominent positions in the county. In all these he acquitted himself to the satisfaction of those who had confided their trusts to him. He was the father of seven children, - five sons and two daughters, - viz.: Joseph R., born in New Lisbon, Oct. 18, 1817; now living in New Lisbon; has held some prominent positions, viz.: clerk of court of Columbiana County and State revenue collector for Eastern Ohio during the Rebellion. D. A., born Jan. 3, 1820; now living in Canton, Stark Co., O.; a prominent physician and surgeon. A. R., born Feb. 11, 1822; now a merchant in Hanover, Columbiana Co. Jane K., born Jan. 8, 1824; deceased. Jason R., born Dec. 12, 1825; served two eyars as surgeon in the army, under Gen. Thomas died 1873. Catharine A., born Apr. 30, 1828; married to Rev. J. Wright, a Methodist minister; now living in Cardington, O. T. J., born July 22, 1830; held the offices of United States assessor and collector during the Rebellion; is now living on the old farm, first bought by his father. A. R. Arter, the third son, - who contributes this family history, - learned the tanning trade when quite young, and took charge of his father's tannery until 1845, when he married Mary, daughter of Elimelech Swearingen; from this union were born seven children, - six sons and one daughter, - viz.: Leonard, born Aug. 3, 1846; served in the Union army during the Rebellion; escaped the dangers of the battle-field and sickness of the camp; reached home in safety; died June 19, 1870. Alonzo, born Feb. 3, 1850; died July 22, 1859. Newton S. and Norman R. (twins), born Nov. 24, 1862; Newton S. died June 8, 1863. Elbert E. and Gilbert M. (twins), born June 27, 1865.
In 1863, A. R. Arter helped to organize the 18th Ohio Battalion, and was commissioned a captain by Gov. Todd. At the call of Gov. Brough, May 1864, this battalion responded and reported at Columbus, and with part of the 69th Battalion organized and formed the 143d Ohio Regt.; was mustered into the United States service on the 13th of May, and on the 15th left for Washington City; on its arrival was assigned to Gen. Hawkins' Div., 22d Army Corps. A. R. Arter was assigned full command of Fort Slocum, one of the most important points, at the head of Seventh Street, which was held with honor by four companies until the regiment was ordered to embark for Bermuda Hundred; there it was assigned to the 10th Army Corps, and placed in the entrenchments around Richmond and Petersburg, where it remained in active service until relieved from duty, and, proceeding to Camp Chase, O., was there mustered out of the service. Mr. Arter then left for home with his command, and has since been enjoying a business life in a quiet way.
Elimelech Swearingen, father of the wife of A. R. Arter, was born in Beaver Co., Pa., Dec. 31, 1791. When about sixteen years of age, moved to Columbiana, O., where he resided until his death, July 20, 1869. Mr. Swearingen married Sarah Wilcoxon, June 14, 1810. From this union were born thirteen children, - five sons and eight daughters, - viz.: Mary A., born May 15, 1811; died Feb. 14, 1821. Rebecca, born Feb. 4, 1813; was married to John Eidley, of Hanover, O.; died May 26, 1865. Ruth, born Jan. 17, 1815; died May 20, 1875. Elimelech, born November, 1816; married Martha Hurford, of Canton, O.; died August, 1862. Virlinda, born Oct. 14, 1818; was married to Richard Aten, of Wellsville, O. George W., born Sept. 14, 1820; married Matilda Chapman, of Virginia; is now a practicing physician in Bedford, Taylor Co., Iowa. Elizabeth A., born Aug. 26, 1822; was married to A. Hurford, of Canton, O.; died Aug. 21, 1843. Daniel, born Feb. 23, 1826; married Hannah Chambers, of Steubenville, O.; now residing on a farm near Indiana, county-seat of Indiana Co., Pa. Lucinda, born Sept. 1, 1828; was married to O. G. Russell, of Wellsville, O.; died Mar. 13, 1858. Henry H., born July 17, 1830; married Maggie Poulton, of Columbiana County; she died Jan. 17, 1868. He then married Jennie Steele, of Carrollton, O.; is now living in Hanover, O.; engaged in mercantile business. Greenberry, born Jan. 21, 1833; married Sarah Swearingen, Of Columbiana County; resides at Kensington, Columbiana Co., O.; engaged in mercantile business. Sarah, born Mar. 1, 1836; resides at the old homestead.
(Source #1 - Page 167)
ROBERT AULD, successful and well known building contractor of Salem, is a native of Scotland. He was born June 18, 1868, the son of Robert and Jannett Auld. The father died Jan. 20, 1924 and the mother died May 5, 1905.
The Auld Family came to this country from Scotland in 1870 and settled at Albany, in Columbiana County. Robert Auld, Sr., was greatly interested in the coal industry and spent 20 years of his life at Salem, where he died in 1924. His wife is also deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Auld were born 12 children, all of whom are living.
Robert Auld grew up in Albany and attended the public schools there. He was connected with the Mullins Body Corporation of Salem for 11 years and in 1905 engaged in business for himself. He is responsible for the erection of some of the finest homes in Salem and vicinity, among them being the Foitg, Kanderer and Doctor McGeorge residences.
On Dec. 23, 1891, Mr. Auld was married to Miss Rosa Whitacre, of Salem, the daughter of Benjamin and Sarah Whitacre, both deceased. He died in 1912 and his wife in 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Auld have no children.
Mr. Auld is an independent voter and ranks among the substantial citizens of Columbiana County.
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
COLUMBIANA COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights