FRANK W. HADLEY, who for
more than a quarter of a century, has been engaged in the mercantile
business in Clinton County and who is now the proprietor of a hardware
and grocery business at New Vienna and vice-president and director of
the New Vienna Bank, was born in Clark township, this county, May 19,
1865, the son of William and Rebecca Jane (Hunt) Hadley, both of
whom also were born in Clinton county, the former near Sligo on Mar. 14,
1832, and the latter, near Martinsville.
William Hadley was a farmer and merchant of
Wilmington and for many years was in partnership with Mathew Fife.
He died in Clark township on Oct. 8, 1900. His wife is also
deceased. He was a Republican and he and his wife and family were
members of the Friends church. They were the parents of four
children, of whom Ida B. died at the age of seventeen years;
Emma S. is the wife of S. C. Haines, of Detroit, Michigan;
Frank W. is the subject of this sketch and Anna died in
infancy. The paternal grandparents of Mr. Hadley were
Jonathan and Margaret Hunt, who wee early settlers in Clark
township, but who later moved to near Richmond, Indiana, where both
Born and reared on a farm and educated in the public
schools of Clinton county, especially in the Martinsville public schools
and in the high school at that place, Frank W. Hadley taught
school for several years. Later he attended the Cincinnati College
of Pharmacy and was engaged in the drug business at Martinsville, this
county, for eleven years, beginning business there in 1890, operating a
general store in connection with the drug business. In 1901 he
moved to New Vienna and engaged in the hardware and grocery business,
his store occupying a double room with a fifty-foot front.
On June 20, 1894, Frank W. Hadley was married to
Winna Woodmansee, of New Vienna, daughter of Robert J. and
Caroline (Hussey) Woodmansee, to which union one child has been born
in Miriam born on July 4, 1899.
Robert J. Woodmansee, the father of Mrs.
Hadley, was born on June 4, 1845, in Highland county, this state,
three miles east of New Vienna, where he now lives. He is the son
of Joseph and Abigail (Jeffries) Woodmansee, the former of whom
was born at Toms river, New Jersey, in 1806 and who died in 1868, and
the latter born at the same place. Mrs. Hadley's paternal
great-grandparents were Francis and Hannah Woodmansee, natives of
toms River, New Jersey, who migrated to Highland county, Ohio, about
1839, Francis Woodmansee and his only son, Joseph,
purchasing land there in partnership. The former engaged in the
brick business and erected a magnificent house on the old Woodmansee
homestead, which is still standing. Joseph Woodmansee, the
father of Robert J., owned sixteen hundred acres of land in
Highland county and was a member of the Methodist Church. He was
educated in New Jersey and after coming to Ohio about 1839, farmed in
Highland County the remainder of his life. He owned two hundred
and sixty acres of land and a grist-mill at New Vienna for four or five
years. He also owned a saw mill at New Vienna. To Joseph
and Abigail (Jeffries) Woodmansee six children were born: Alice,
Francis, Jesse, Adolphus, Robert J. and Alonzo. The
family were members of the Methodist church and Joseph Woodmansee
voted the Republican ticket. Robert J. Woodmansee has been
a farmer all of his life, but has lived most of the time in New Vienna,
having gone there with his father in 1859. He owns two hundred
acres of land in Highland county, where his son, Brent now lives.
He married Caroline Hussey, daughter of Nathan Hussey, to
which union three children were born: Fred, who married Jennie
Clark and has one daughter, Jennie May; Brent, who married
Maud Hunt, and Mrs. Hadley. Robert J. Woodmansee
and wife are members of the Methodist church. He votes the
Republican ticket and is a member of the Independent Order of Odd
Mr. Hadley is also a Republican in politics, but
has never aspired to public office. Fraternally he is a member of
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, including the subordinate and the
encampment branches. Mr. and Mrs. Hadley are members of the
Methodist Church at New Vienna.
DANIEL WEBSTER HAINES,
one of the leading members of the Chester township school board for the
past decade, is a man of pleasing personality, well known and highly
respected, as well as a successful farmer, who owns one hundred and
fifty-five acres of land in that township and one hundred and sixty
acres in Vernon township. By marriage, Mr. Haines is
connected with the famous McKay family, whose ancestry goes back
to the first settlement made in Clinton county. The Haines
family maintain a home in Wilmington, where they live a part of the
Daniel Webster Haines was born in Greene county,
Ohio, on April 22, 1863, a son of
EBER and MARY (MENDENHALL) HAINES,
the former born in Caesars Creek township, Green county, on Jan. 20,
1825, and the latter born at West Milton, Miami county, this state,
daughter of Thaddeus and Priscilla (Sturgeon) Mendenhall.
Eber Haines was a son of Zimri and Elizabeth (Compton) Haines,
natives of New Jersey and North Carolina, respectively. The latter
came with her parents in a wagon from North Carolina in New Burlington,
Ohio, when only four years of age. Zimri Haines emigrated
from New Jersey to Pennsylvania, where he learned the trade of a
cabinet-maker. Later he emigrated to Greene county, Ohio, where he
spent the remainder of his life. He and his wife were the parents
of ten children, Samuel, Elizabeth, Sarah, Maria, Elwood, Eber, Eli,
Clapton, Asaph and Phoebe. The family were earnest
members of the Friends church, while politically, Zimri Haines
was an old time Whig.
The sixth child of Zimri and Elizabeth (Compton)
Haines was Eber, the father of Daniel Webster Haines.
Eber Haines was a farmer all his life. After
removing to Clinton county, in 1882, he began preaching, at the age of
forty-five, and continued as a local minister in the Friends church
until his death, on Dec. 19, 1911. Daniel Webster Haines is
one of ten children born to his parents, the others being as follows:
Lydia Ellen, who died when young; Margaret, who married
John Turner; Zimri D., who married Alice McKay; Thaddeus
a., who married Eliza Mary Hiatt; Priscilla, who married
Jacob B. McKay; Daniel W. twin brother of Wilomena, the
latter of whom died early in life; Mary, who was the wife of
William Hiatt, died at the age of twenty-eight, and Eber W.,
a well-known farmer of Chester township.
Daniel Webster Haines, who received his
elementary education in the common schools of Paintersville, Greene
county, later pursued his educational training in Chester township, this
county, and when a young man began farming in that township. He
continued farming there until 1903, at which time he purchased the old
Mahlon Wall farm, consisting of ninety-six acres, and to this
tract he has added from time to time until he is now the owner of one
hundred and forty-five acres to Chester township and one hundred and
sixty acres in Vernon township. He is an extensive breeder of
Duroc Jersey hogs, as well as a feeder of cattle.
On Oct. 15, 1891, Daniel W. Haines was married
to Estella McKay, who was born on July 5, 1865, the daughter of
Alfred and Sarah L. (Miars) McKay. Mrs. Haines'
father was a farmer in Liberty township and served as county
commissioner of Clinton county for several years. He also served
as county surveyor. Mrs. Haines was one of two children
born to her parents. Her brother, Ray, is deceased.
To Daniel W. and Estella (McKay) Haines one son
has been born, Elden R., born on June 10, 1893, who is a graduate
of Wilmington College, and is living at home with his parents.
Mr. and Mrs. Haines are members of the Friends
church, and Mr. Haines votes the Republican ticket. They
take an earnest interest in all good works in their neighborhood and are
held in high regard throughout the vicinity.
~ Page 760
WATTS HAINES. Among the well-known young farmers of Chester
township, Clinton county, Ohio, is Eber Watts Haines, who is the
owner of one hundred and four and one-quarter acres of land, and who,
several years ago, was engaged in conducting a general store at
Lumberton, Ohio. Since 1909, however, he has devoted his attention
exclusively to farming. He is a scion of a very old family in this
county, and one whose ancestry had very much to do with clearing the
forests and draining the swamps. Eber Watts Haines was born
on Feb. 28, 1872, in Caesars Creek township, Greene county, Ohio.
His parents were Eber and Mary (Mendenhall) Haines, the former of
whom was born on Jan. 20, 1825, in Caesars Creek township, Greene
county, and the latter was a daughter of Thaddeus and Priscilla
The paternal grandparents of Mr. Haines were
Zimri and Elizabeth (Compton) Haines, the former a native of New
Jersey, and the latter a native of North Carolina, who came with her
parents when four years old to New Burlington, Ohio. Zimri
Haines emigrated first from New Jersey to Pennsylvania, and there
learned the cabinetmaker's trade. Later he immigrated to Greene
county, Ohio, where he lived the remainder of his life. He was the
father of nine children, Samuel, Elizabeth, Sarah, Maria, Elwood,
Eber and Clayton, Aseph and Pheobe. He voted the
Whig ticket and was a member of the Society of Friends.
Eber Haines received a good education in the
common schools of Greene county, and followed farming in Caesars Creek
township, in that county, until 1882, when he removed to Chester
township, Clinton county. When about forty-five years of age, he
began preaching in the local Friends church, and continued a minister in
that faith until his death, Dec. 19, 1911. He lived to perform the
marriage ceremony for many of his grandchildren. The following
children were born to Eber and Mary (Mendenhall) Haines: Lydia
Ellen, who died while young; Margaret, the wife of John
Turner; Zimri D., who married Alice McKay; Thaddeus A., who
married Eliza Mary Hiatt; Priscilla, the wife of Jacob B.
McKay; Daniel W. and Wilomena, twins, the former of whom
married Estella McKay, and the latter died early in life;
Mary, the wife of William Hiatt, died at the age of
twenty-eight years; and Eber W., the immediate subject of this
Eber W. Haines was for some time a student at
Wilmington College after leaving the common schools, and finished his
education in that excellent institution. His career as a farmer
was begun in Chester township, where he now lives, and where he owns one
hundred and four and one-quarter acres of land. In 1906 he
purchased the general store at Lumberton and conducted this business for
two years, but in 1909 returned to the farm where he has since lived.
In 1906, Eber W. Haines married Mary Morris,
the daughter of Allen and Louisa (Doan) Morris, the former of
whom was a farmer of Clinton county. Mrs. Haines was one of
four children born to her parents. The others are: Elias H.,
who married Amelia Stille; John, who married Mary Nye; and
Lee, who married Luetta Farris, in 1912. Mrs.
Haines' paternal grandfather was John Morris. Mr. and Mrs.
Eber W. Haines are the parents of one son, Eber Allen, born
on Jan. 18, 1910. The family are all members of the Friends
church, Mrs. Haines, however, retaining her membership in the
In 1905, about a year before his marriage, Mr.
Haines spent the winter at Wauchula, Florida, with his parents and
elder sister. His mother died there unexpectedly, Dec. 27, 1905.
Three years later his father spent the winter on Marco Island.
~ Page 642
ELI HAINES. Of the
many respected citizens and successful farmers now living retired in
Wilmington, Ohio, Eli Haines, who owns a farm of one hundred and
twenty-three acres in Clinton county, should be mentioned. He is
descended from one of the very earliest settlers of this county, his
great-grandfather, Jacob Haines, who was a native of
Pennsylvania, having come to Ohio in 1803, and to Clinton county in the
spring of 1804.
Eli Haines was born on Aug. 9, 1857, in Caesars
Creek township, Greene county, Ohio, the son of Samuel and Mary
(Bales) Haines, the former of whom was born in 1818, near New
Burlington, Ohio, and died in October, 1903, and the latter of whom was
born in Greene county, Ohio, in 1820, and died in 1906.
Mr. Haines's paternal grandparents were Zimri
and Elizabeth (Compton) Haines, the former of whom came from New
Jersey with his parents. He was married near New Burlington, Ohio,
and, having learned the cabinet-maker's trade in Philadelphia, followed
this trade to some extent in early life. After coming to Ohio, he
became a farmer, buying his land very cheaply. During the early
years of his life, he owned about twelve hundred acres of land. He
and his wife were members of the Friends church. He died at the
age of eighty-seven, and she at a very advanced age.
Jacob Haines, who may be regarded as the founder
of the Haines family in Ohio was born in Pennsylvania, Feb. 19,
1778, and when a young man moved with his parents to Guilford county,
North Carolina. In 1800 he was married to Mary Leonard and
three years later came to Ohio, remaining at Waynesville for a short
time, after which he came to Union township, Clinton county, in the
spring of 1804. His family consisted of his wife and one child,
Zimri, who spent most of his life in this county. Jacob
Haines passed away on June 17, 1854.
The maternal grandfather of Eli Haines was
Elisha Bales, who lived in Greene county, Ohio on the middle fork of
Caesars creek, where he owned a farm of two hundred acres.
Samuel Haines grew up in Greene county, Ohio,
and after inheriting a part of his father's home farm, added to it until
he owned five hundred acres. HE was a prominent man in local
politics in Greene county and held several township offices. He
was a Republican and a member of the Friends church, both he and his
wife being elders in the church. They had eleven children,
two of whom died in infancy and four of whom died in later life, namely:
Amos, who died when a young man and who was a prominent church
worker; Sarah, who married H. C. Faulkner and died in May,
1913; Zimri, who died of typhoid fever at the age of
thirty-three; Elisha, who also died of typhoid fever after his
marriage. The living children are: Eunice, who married
Ed Bales, of Greene county, Ohio; Eli, the subject of this
sketch; Hannah, who is the widow of Professor Calvin, and
lives in Spring Valley, Ohio, and Alfred, who is a farmer of
Eli Haines attended the public schools of
Paintersville, Ohio, and lived at home on the farm until he was married.
He purchased one hundred and twenty-three acres of the home farm and
still owns that tract of land. In October, 1908, he purchased
twenty-seven acres of land at the edge of Wilmington, Ohio, where he
built a modern house and now has a comfortable home.
On September 20, 1882, Eli Haines was married to
Louisa E. Faulkner, who was born in Greene county, Ohio, one mile
from her husband's birthplace, the daughter of Allen and Elizabeth A.
Faulkner, both of whom are still living, he being ninety years of
age and she eighty-eight. Mr. and Mrs. Haines have had four
children, one of whom is deceased, Homer, who was born in 1888,
and died on February 13, 1901. The living children are: Lizzie
Mary born on June 23, 1884, who married J. R. Middleton and
lives on a farm in Caesars Creek township, Greene county; Bernice,
July 2, 18893, who is a school teacher; and Sylvester, August 28,
Mr. and Mrs. Haines and family are members of the
Friends church and he was an elder in the church. He is identified
with the Republican party.
~ Page 630
FRANK HAINES - Page not available yet.
Will have in near future
~ Page 517
HAINES. As early as the seventeenth century the Haines
family was well established in England, and in that time spelled their
name Hayne. They came from Ayuho-on-ye-Hill, Oxon,
Northamptonshire, England. The armorial ensigns of the family date
back to 607, Richard Haines was a member of the Society of
Friends prior to 1676, and with his wife, Margaret, and four
children, Richard, Jr., William, Thomas and Mary, sailed
for America, April 27, 1682. During the voyage the father died and
was buried at sea, and after his death, another son, Joseph, was
born in mid-ocean. The mother and her five children landed at
Burlington, New Jersey. Of the five children born to Richard
Haines and wife, Thomas, who was born in 1675 in England, was
married in 1692, to Elizabeth (Austin) Haines, George was
born about 1709 in New Jersey. He married Margareat Lamb,
and they had one child, Isaac Haines and his wife, Elizabeth,
were the parents of one son, Isaac, Jr., who died on Dec. 8,
1853, and to this union ten children were born, Isaac, Zimri,
Elizabeth, Keziah, Rachel, Israel, Susannah, Granville, Abigail and
Mordecai. Of these children, Zimri, the second in
order of birth, was born on July 1, 1789, in New Jersey, and died on
Aug. 26, 1868, in Ohio. He married Elizabeth Compton, who
was born on July 25, 1800, and who died on June 6, 1886. She was a
native of North Carolina and came from that state to Ohio in a wagon
with her parents when she was but four years of age, the family locating
in the New Burlington neighborhood in this county. Zimri Haines
emigrated from New Jersey to Pennsylvania, where he learned the trade of
a cabinet-maker. Later he emigrated to Greene county, Ohio, where
he lived the remainder of his life. He and his wife were the
parents of twelve children, Samuel, Elwood, Eber, Clayton, Asseph,
Eli, Elizabeth, Zimri, Sarah, Phoebe, Rebecca A. and Mary Ann.
Of the above children, Eli, the father of
Zimri F. Haines, was born on Aug. 12, 1827, in Caesar's Creek
township, Greene county. He was reared on a farm and received his
education in the district schools. On November 24, 1858, he was
married by the Friends ceremony in Highland county, to Emily S.
McPherson, who was born in Highland county on February 7, 1837, the
daughter of Stephen and Mary McPherson. She was a distant
relative of General McPherson, who was a prominent figure in the
Union army during the Civil War. Eli Haines and wife were
the parents of six children, Stephen A. and Mary Elizabeth (both
deceased); Jennie M., Zimri F., Eleanora and Jesse Curtis.
Zimri F. Haines, the subject of this sketch, was
born on Feb. 9, 1868, in Chester township, this county. He was
educated in the public schools of Chester township, first attending the
Buck Run school and later the school at New Burlington. When a
young man, he began farming in Wayne township, Warren county, Ohio, and
about 1898 moved to Chester township, Clinton county, where he is now
living, and where he owns two hundred and thirty-five acres of land.
He is engaged in general farming and stock raising.
On Feb. 6, 1890, Zimri F. Haines was married to
Ella C. Compton, the daughter of Amos and Anna (Mendenhall)
Compton, farmers of Greene county, Ohio. Mrs. Haines is
the youngest of a family of nine children born to her parents.
Four of these children, Emma, Mary E., Recia A. and
Walton, are deceased. Besides Mrs. Haines, the living
children are Samuel T., William E., Martha and Lucy A.
Mr. and Mrs. Haines are the parents of three
children, Everett E., born on Jan. 24, 1893; Luther G.,
Jan. 23, 1897, and Homer H., May 16, 1901.
Mr. and Mrs. Haines are members of the Friends
church and Mr. Haines is a trustee and an elder in the church,
having served in these capacities for several years. He is
independent in politics.
~ Page 865
WILLIAM FRANKLIN HAIR.
After thirteen years of faithful and devoted service as a teacher in the
public schools of Clinton county, William Franklin Hair, better
known among the intimate, friends of "Frank" Hair, entered upon
the life of a farmer and has found much pleasure and satisfaction in
tilling his well-kept place in Washington township. Studious in
his habits, attentive to the latest developments and agricultural
science, Mr. Hair has conducted his farming operations with a
high measure of intelligence and, though his place is not as extensive
as some of the farms in his neighborhood, he has prospered and has no
fear of the wolf bowling at his door. He has a delightful home in
Washington township, in which he takes much pleasure and where he and
his good wife greet their friends with the most cordial hospitality.
William Franklin Hair was born on a farm near
the village of Westboro, in Jefferson township, Clinton county, Ohio, on
January 28, 1807, son of George W. and Permilia (Garrett) Hair,
the former a native of Brown county, this state, and the later a native
of Jefferson township, this county.
George W. Hair was the son of Titus and Nancy
(Sapp) Hair, the former of whom was born in Washington County,
Virginia, and the latter of Clermont county, this state, daughter of
George Sapp, a pioneer of that county. Titus Hair came
to Ohio from Virginia with his parents in the year 1808, the family
locating in Clermont county, where Titus Hair grew up as a
cabinetmaker, later becoming a farmer. About the year 1855 he
moved to this county, buying a farm of about one hundred acres near the
village of Westboro. He also continued to work at his trade of
cabinetmaking and became one of the best-known citizens in that
neighborhood. Later he moved to Clark township, buying a farm near
the village of Lynchburg, where he spent the remainder of his life.
His son, George W. Hair, married Parmelia Garrett, of this
county, a daughter of Henry and Nancy (Johns) Garrett, the former
of whom was born in Virginia, the son of William Garrett, who
came, with his wife and children on horseback from Virginia to this
county and located on a farm in the southwest portion of the county,
where he spent the rest of his life, his death occurring in 1864.
Henry Garrett grew up on his father's farm and married Nancy
Johns, member of one of the pioneer families of the neighborhood,
and it was the daughter of this union who was the mother of Frank
Hair. Henry Garrett died in 1849, before reaching
middle age. George W. Hair became one of Clinton county's
well-known farmers, his operations mostly being carried on in Clark
township. He was exempted from service during the Civil War on
account of ill health and his death occurred in 1876. He and
his wife were members of the New Light church and their three children
were reared in the faith of that communion. These three children
were Frank, the immediate subject of this sketch, Hay W.,
and Nancy E.
William Franklin Hair received his education in the
public schools of this county and when twenty-three years of age began
teaching school, continuing this close personal service in behalf of the
public for a period of thirteen years, 1880-93, becoming one of the
best-known teachers in Clinton county. He then decided to become a
farmer and following out his design bought the farm of eighty-three
acres in Washington township on which he is now living, and where he
confidently expects to spend the remainder of his days. He is
successfully engaged in general farming and is regarded as one of the
substantial men of his community.
In 1800 Frank Hair was united in marriage to
Mary E. Vandervort, who was born in Green township, this county,
daughter to T. H. Vandervort, a well-known resident of Antioch
and take an active interest in all the good works of their neighborhood,
being regarded as among the leaders in the community life thereabout.
This amiable couple are in a position to look on the bright side of life
and they bring to their relations with their neighbors a wholesome
kindliness of spirit that makes them prime favorites with all
thereabout, the two being held in the very highest regard throughout the
Mr. Hair did well his duty to the public during
his long service as a teacher, many former youngsters in this county,
now grown to useful manhood and womanhood, acknowledging with gratitude
the great debt they owe to the early instructions of this conscientious
teacher; and in his later years he is doing equally well his duty toward
the body politic by continually advocating all measures designed to
promote the welfare of all the people his sage counsels receiving the
most respectful consideration on the part of his neighbors, who repose
the utmost confidence in his judgment in matters relating to the common
HORACE M. HALL is a successful
contractor and builder of Blanchester, this county. He was born on
Dec. 10, 1865, in Preble county, Ohio, the son of Andrew J. and Martha
A. (Elliott) Hall, the former a native of Clinton county, and the
latter a native of Preble county. The paternal grandparents of
Horace M. Hall came from the French frontier in Europe, and, after
coming to America, located in Clinton county, where they were early
settlers. The maternal grandparents of Horace M. Hall, were
William and Mary (Hall) Elliott, natives of Virginia.
William Elliott died in that state and after his death, his
widow came to Ohio, passing away in Preble county, Ohio, in 1872.
William Elliott was a soldier in the War of 1812.
Andrew J. Hall, the father of Horace M., a
native of Clinton county, was educated in the common schools of this
county but left Clinton county some time before the Civil War and settled
in Preble county, where he enlisted in the Thirty-fifth Regiment, Ohio
volunteer Infantry, in which he served three years and four months.
In the battle of Chickamauga be was twice wounded, a bullet passing
through his shoulder and another through his hip. Four children were
born to Andrew J. and Martha A. Hall, Charles, Horace M.,
Prudence and Alice.
Horace M. Hall, who was educated in the common
schools of Preble county, learned paper-making in Middleton, and followed
this occupation for about five years. Later he learned the
carpenter's trade at Cincinnati and has been engaged in this trade ever
sine, having moved to Blanchester in 1895, just after the town was
destroyed by fire. It is an interesting fact that the first house he
built after arriving in Blanchester is the one in which he now lives.
For many years he has been a contractor and builder and has erected many
buildings in that part of the county.
On September 22, 1896, Horace M. Hall was
married to Cora Willoughby, of Blanchester, who has borne him three
children, Corliss, Mary and Marjorie.
The Hall family, with the exception of
Mr. Hall, are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Mr. Hall is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He
has served as councilman of Blanchester and is now a member of the board
of public affairs. Formerly, he served as deputy assessor of that
township. He is a man who has many friends in that section of
ISAIAH MORRIS HAWORTH,
the subject of this sketch, attended the district schools at Dover and
later in Wilmington two years, and then at the Dutch district school in
Union township. He had but a limited education and as a young man he
worked on his father's farm for several years and then bought what is now
known as the Charles Hunnicutt farm which he soon sold and bought a
one-hundred-acre tract of the Thomas West farm, where he lived
until he sold this tract and in 1883 he bought the present farm across the
road from the George D. Haworth farm at Starbucktown, Union
township. He then rented his farm and went to Hendricks county,
Indiana, for eighteen months, after which he returned to his present home.
There is a little over one hundred acres in this tract, which was formerly
the old West homestead. The house was remodeled by Mr. Haworth.
On Sept. 20, 1871, Isaiah Morris Haworth was
married to Mary Johnson, who was born in the Center neighborhood of
Union township. They were the last couple to be married by the
Friends ceremony in the old Center meeting house. Mary Johnson
was the daughter of Louis and Rachel (Stanton) Johnson. Louis
Johnson was the son of Louis, Sr., and Mary Johnson,
natives of Virginia, who emigrated to Ohio, and was born near Port
William, Ohio, on Nov. 13, 1821, and died on Dec. 5, 1908. Rachel
Stanton, who came from Virginia and settled in Wilmington, Ohio, where
for many years he was a hatter. Rachel Stanton was born in
Wilmington, Ohio, on Jan. 15, 1818, and died in Jan. 10, 1899.
Louis Johnson, Jr., and wife were farmers
and owned a farm in the Center neighborhood which they cultivated for
years until their retirement, when they moved into Wilmington, where they
died. They had the followoing children: Ahira, who
lives in Wilmington; Sarah Ann; Mary, the wife of the subject of
this sketch; Joseph, who lived in Indiana on a farm; and Mrs.
Elizabeth Sprouse, who lives on a farm in Union township.
Isaiah Morris and Mary (Johnson) Haworth were
the parents of six children, of whom three are dead and three living, as
follows: Adelbert R., who was born on July 31, 1872, and died
on Sept. 19, 1872; Delena Ann, August 30, 1873, married Charles
Hunnicutt and now lives in Wilmington, Ohio; Rachel C., Aug.
17, 1875, died on May 4, 1887; Alton M., July 2, 1877, is a farmer
now living on the Port William road in Liberty township on the old
George Bailey farm; Alice E., Aug. 11, 1880, married Dr. C.
B. Thomas and lives in Plainfield, Indiana; and Marietta, Oct.
14, 1882, died on Dec. 11, 1884.
Isaiah Morris Haworth was, as are all his
family, attached to the Friends church, of Wilmington, Ohio. Mr.
Haworth was a Republican in politics, and was conservative in his
beliefs. He was humble and unseeking in his attitude toward his
fellow men and was held in the very highest esteem by all who knew him.
He was one of the men who has indeed proved that true religion and true
citizenship go hand-in-hand, and whenever he was called on gave full
evidence "that a friend in need is a friend indeed."
HAWORTH. The late Odos L. Haworth was a well-known
business man of Blanchester, this county, a prominent restaurant keeper of
that town. He was born at Wilmington, this county, the son of Thomas
and Mary (Drake) Haworth, and died on September 22, 1912. Thomas
Haworth was born on June 19, 1844, and died on March 28, 1909. He
was married on March 5, 1872, to Mary Drake, who was born on September 16,
1848, the daughter of Daniel and Ann (Messereu) Drake.
Thomas Haworth was engaged in farming all of his life in Clinton
county and owned seventy-three acres of land in Union township. He and his
wife were the parents of four children, of whom Odos L. was the
eldest, the others being Ralph W., Clarence L. and Edith D.,
wife of Orvall Wall. Thomas Haworth was the
son of Richard M. and Elizabeth (West) Haworth, the former of whom
was a native of Clinton county, born at Dover in 1824, and one of the
early farmers of this county. He was the son of Mahlon and Phoebe
(Frazier) Haworth, the former of whom was born in Frederick county,
Virginia, on October 23, 1775, later emigrating to Tennessee and still
later coming to this county, locating at Dover about 1803.
Odos L. Haworth entered the Star
restaurant with, his father in Sabina in 1896 and was in business tt that
point for about two years, moving to Blanchester in 1898, where he
continued in the same business the rest of his life. The business is now
conducted by his widow. At the age of nineteen years, Odos L. Haworth
took up the study of telegraphy at the Cincinnati & Muskingum Valley
railroad station at Wilmington and after having become proficient as a
telegraph operator, worked at Roseville, Washington and Wilmington,
becoming express agent, with William McMillan, at the latter
point and was twenty-one years old when he entered into partnership with
his father in the management of the Star restaurant.
On April 22, 1894, Odos L. Haworth was married
to Ada R. Staubus, who was born at Wilmington, daughter of Louis
J. and Mary J. (Clark) Staubus. Louis J. Staubus
was born on March 2, 1849, In Augusta county, Virginia, and was married on
December 22, 1870, to Mary J. Clark, who was born in Augusta
county, Virginia, on June 19, 1849, daughter of William D. and Rachel
R. (Miller) Clark. Louis J. Staubus was the son of Jacob
Staubus, a native of Germany, who came to America with his parents at
the age of four years, locating in Augusta county, Virginia, where he
became a farmer and where he and his wife, Regina Swatzel, died.
They were the parents of five children, John C, William, David, Louis J.
and Ellen. Louis J. Staubus was educated in the common schools of
Augusta county, Virginia, and came to Ohio when a young man. After living
in this state for several years he returned to Virginia, where he was
married, and about 1874 he and his wife moved from Highland county, Ohio,
to Reevesville. He has been a contract plasterer all of his life. Mr.
and Mrs. Louis J. Staubus are the parents of nine children,
namely: Cora, who married George Bernard; Ada R., who
married Odos L. Haworth; Leona E., who died at the age of six
years; Worthy, who married Olive West; Samuel P., who died
in infancy; Lottie Lee, who became the wife of James Bernard;
Anna L. who is the wife of Harry Brook; Emma, who
married Granville Gano, and Royal D., who married Gayle
Brown. Mr. and Mrs. Staubus are members of the Methodist
church, and he votes the Democratic ticket.
To Odos L. and Ada R. (Staubus) Haworth were
born two children, Leah Rannells and Dorothy
Odos L. Haworth was a well-known citizen of
Clinton county, a man who was honorable and upright in all of the
relations of life, who was admired by his fellow townsmen and respected
for his cordial and friendly attitude toward the public at large, and his
death in 1912 was mourned by many friends.
RICHARD M. HAWORTH,
the father of the subject of this sketch, was the youngest child of
Mahlon and Phoebe Haworth and was nursing on his mother's breast when
she was fifty years old. He inherited the homestead of one hundred
and sixty acres and took care of his parents until their death. He
inherited the homestead of one hundred and sixty acres and took care of
his parents until their death. In 1859 he traded with his brother
George D. for a farm east of Wilmington. He increased his
holdings, until at one time, he had five farms of over five hundred acres
in all. He invested very heavily in the pork-packing business in
Wilmington, Ohio, and reverses caused the loss of almost his entire
property. In 1883 he moved to Hendricks county, Indiana, near
Plainfield, and bought a small farm on the edge of Morgan county, where he
did general farming. He was twice married; his first wife,
Elizabeth M. West, was the mother of the following children:
Thomas M., who died in 1910, on his farm adjoining the subject's farm;
James M., who died in youth; Isaiah M., subject of this sketch;
Frances Elizabeth and Caroline Evalyn, who both died in infancy;
Harriet Ellen, who married Orlando Hadley, of Wilmington; and
Anna E., who was born on Oct. 12, 1862, and died on Aug. 22, 1882.
The second wife of Richard M. Haworth was Jane Janney,
who was reared at Martinsville, Ohio, and who was the mother of two
children: Lenora P., who was born on Nov. 6, 1866, and who married
Calvin Newlin and lives on a farm near Plainfield, Indiana; and
Clinton R., who was born on March 23, 1869, and now lives near
Plainfield, Indiana. Richard M. Haworth was a Republican and
a stanch member of the Friends church.
The parents of Elizabeth M. West were Thomas
and Detamer (Hadley) West, natives of North Carolina and members of
the Friends church. They were the parents of the following children,
all of whom are now dead: Sarah, who married David Pyle;
Elizabeth M., who was the mother of the subject of this sketch;
Jeremiah, who died at the age of sixteen; Mary, who married
Doctor Bond and lived in Iowa; Isaiah, who lived on a farm
where the subject of this sketch now lives, and Elden, who married
Micajah Moore and lived in Adams township, Clinton county.
ERNEST R. HAZARD,
a well-known young citizen of Martinsville, this county, who is the
proprietor of a lumber, feed and coal yard at that place, was formerly an
officer in the Philippine constabulary and saw extensive service in the
Philippine Islands and elsewhere. Ernest R. Hazard
was born in Wilmington, this county, on May 24, 1880, the son of
Jonas Seth and Mary (Buntain) Hazard, the former of whom was born
near Sligo, this county, and the latter of whom was the daughter of
William and Susanna (Jenkins) Buntain.
Jonas S. Hazard is the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Wells)
Hazard, natives of Union township, this county, and Douglas
county, Illinois, respectively. Henry Hazard was
educated in the common schools of Union township and became a carpenter
and miller by trade. he was also a bridge builder and constructed
the bridge across the Scioto river. He owned a grist mill and saw
mill in Adams township and died at Ogden. To Henry and
Elizabeth Hazard were born nine children, Robert F., John
W., Allen S., Jonas Seth, Calvin H., Sarah S., James R. Bijah T.
and Caleb H. They were members of the Methodist
Jonas Seth Hazard,
the father of Ernest R., who was born Jan. 9, 1850, near
Sligo, in Adams township, this county, was educated in the common schools
of Adams township and has been a farmer and carpenter all of his life.
For forty-five years, he worked at the carpenter's trade but retired from
contract carpentering in 1911. During his active career he did much
of the building in Wilmington, having moved to that place about 1880.
In 1912 he purchased sixty-two acres of land in Adams township, but rents
the farm. He married Mary Buntain, the daughter of
William and Susanna (Jenkins) Buntain,
to which union were born two children, Belle Boyd, who
married Launtie Hadley, and Ernest R.,
the subject of this sketch. The Hazard family are members of the
Friends church and Jonas S. Hazard votes the Republican
Educated in the public schools of
Wilmington, Ernest R. Hazard worked for a short time at
the tinner's trade. When he was seventeen years old, he went ot
Palestine, Illinois, and after being there for six months, enlisted in
Battery E, Sixth United States Artillery on Mar. 21, 1898. After
serving for three years he was discharged in the Philippine Islands.
Afterward he served about three months on the Metropolitan police force of
Manila, resigning to accept the position as overseer of the yard watchmen
of the Manila & Dagupan railway at Caloocan, Philippine Islands.
After holding this position for about three months, he became a member of
the Philippines constabulary, accepting a commission as second lieutenant
and inspector of the constabulary. He held this position for about
one year and later became first lieutenant. In 1906 he returned to
the United States and engaged in the restaurant business at Wilmington for
four years. In 1910 he sold out, moved to Martinsville, where he
bought an established lumber, feed and coal yard, which he now owns and
On June 30, 1907, Ernest R.
Hazard was married to Pearl Certain, of
Wilmington, the daughter of D. M. and Luellen (Gallaher)
Certain, of that city, and to this union one child has
been born, a daughter, Mary Ellen.
Fraternally, Ernest R. Hazard is a member of the Free and
Accepted Masons, the Knights of Pythias, the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Junior Order of
United American Mechanics. Mr. and Mrs. Hazard are
members of the Friends church. Mr. Hazard recently
was built a fine modern home on College Heights at Martinsville, and he
and his family are very comfortably and pleasantly situated there.
They are held in high regard throughout that section of the county, and
enjoy the respect and esteem of all who know them.
Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen
& Co., 1915 - Page 555
FRANK T. HAZARD,
a successful hardware salesman of Wilmington, Ohio, was born on July 9,
1855, in Union township, Clinton county, Ohio, the son of Zebulun
and Phoebe (Wolary) Hazard, the former of whom was born in
Clinton county in 1826, and who died in 1861, and the latter of whom was
born in Union township on the Waynesville pike in 1827, and died in 1870.
Zebulun Hazard's parents were John and Rebecca
(Conger) Hazard, who were born and married in Virginia, descended
from English stock. They were devoted members of the Friends Church.
John Hazard came to Clinton county, Ohio, in 1820 and settled on what is
now known as the Petticord farm, one mile east of
Wilmington. He died at the age of sixty-five years, after rearing a
family of ten children. His wife lived to be ninety-two years of
Phoebe Wolary was the
daughter of Michael Wolary, who was born in Maryland, and
who, about 1825, settled west of Wilmington, Ohio, on what is now known as
the Leonard farm. He and his wife lived to advanced
ages. Zebulun Hazard was a farmer and rented land.
He died at the age of thirty-five years near Dover in Clinton county,
Ohio. He had been first married to a Miss Dwiggins,
who had borne him three children, all of whom are dead. His wife had
been previously married to Isaiah Dwiggins, and had one
child by that marriage, Isaiah, who died at the age of
fifty years in Kansas, where he was a farmer.
Frank T. Hazard was the only child to his parents.
After the death of his father his mother married, secondly, Moses
Hudson, who died five years later. Frank T. Hazard's
mother died when he was fifteen years old and he made his home during his
early manhood with his uncle, Louis Lewis. As a
young man he worked as a farm hand and was subsequently married and rented
land for four years, finally purchasing a farm in Union township, where he
lived for three years. Upon selling out in 1887 he came to
Wilmington, where he worked for one year in the David People's
hardware store. On Jan. 1, 1889, he began working in J. W.
Sparks's hardware store and is now the head salesman in this
On October 26, 1876, Frank T.
Hazzard was married to Luella Miars, a native of
Union township, Clinton County, Ohio, born on Dec. 6, 1856, the daughter
of Isaiah and Matilda (Babb) Miars, both natives of
Clinton County. Mrs. Hazard's father is deceased,
but her mother is still living. Her father was a farmer in Union
township north of Wilmington. Mr. and Mrs. Hazard
have been the parents of two children.
History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co.,
1915 - Page
LOREN M. HAZARD.
Almost from the time of the very beginning of the social order of Clinton
County, the Hazard family has been honorably represented here. The
first of the name to locate in Clinton county was John Hazard,
a Virginian, of English descent, who married Rebecca Conger,
also a native of Virginia, of colonial stock, and emigrated to Ohio,
locating in Clinton county in 1820, settling on a farm one mile east of
the ten struggling village of Wilmington, which farm is known in that
neighborhood today as the Petticord place. John Hazard
and his wife were prominent figures in that section during pioneer days
and did much to bring about proper social and civic conditions in the
formative period of the neighborhood. After rearing a family of ten
children, John Hazard died, at the age of sixty-five
years. One of the sons of John and Rebecca (Conger)
Hazard was Zebulon Hazard, born in this county
in 1826, who died at the early age of thirty-five years. Zebulon
Hazard was twice married, his first wife, who was the widow of
Isaiah Dwiggins, bearing him three children, all of whom died
without issue. Upon her death he married, secondly, Phoebe
Wolary, daughter of Michael Wolary, a native of
Maryland, who, with hi wife, settled on a farm west of Wilmington, in this
county, about the year 1825, where they spent the rest of their lives,
both living to advanced ages. To Zebulon and Phoebe (Wolary)
Hazard but one child was born, a son, Frank T.
Upon the death of Zebulon Hazard, in 1861, his widow
married, secondly, Moses Hudson, dying five years later,
without further issue.
Source: History of Clinton
County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page
Highland county enjoys the distinction of numbering among her citizens a
well-known farmer now in the prime of life, who won second prize at the
national corn show held a few years ago in North Carolina.
Charles Hodson, a resident of Fairfield township, not only won
second prize at the national corn show, but he has won first prize at the
Ohio state corn show on Reed's Yellow Dent, and Johnson county, Indiana,
white corn. Mr. Hodson is also an extensive cattle
and hog breeder and specializes in Jersey cattle and in Duroc-Jersey hogs.
Charles Hodson was born on Feb. 17, 1877, the son of
Joseph W. and Lillie (Jones) Hodson, the former of whom
was born in Highland county, Ohio, on October 15, 1854, and the latter, in
Lexington, Kentucky, in 1856. Joseph W. Hodson was
the son of Joseph and Sarah (Lamb) Hodson,
natives, respectively, of Highland county, Ohio, and Guilford county,
North Carolina. Joseph Hodson was the son of
Solomon and Cecelia Hodson, who emigrated from North Carolina to
Highland county, Ohio, in pioneer times. Sarah Lamb's
parents were also pioneers in Highland county, where both died.
Joseph Hodson was a farmer by occupation, a Republican in
politics, early in life, but later a Prohibitionist. He and his wife
were members of the Friends church. To them were born eleven
children of whom Joseph W., was the ninth, the others
being Eli, Mary, Martha, Jonathan, Rachel Ann, Josl, Josiah,
Lewis, Milton and Ella.
Joseph W. Hodson was reared on a farm and was educated in
the public schools. He has four acres in Wayne township, where he
now lives. He votes the Prohibition ticket. On Feb. 17, 1876,
he was married to Lillie Jones, a native of Lexington,
Kentucky, and the daughter of John and Celia (Thompson) Jones,
both of whom were natives of England. After settling in Lexington,
Kentucky, John Jones engaged in the
mercantile business. He was burned to death in that city some years
ago and his widow died soon afterward. To Joseph W. and
Lillie (Jones) Hodson six children have been born, of whom
Charles, the subject of this sketch, is the eldest, the others
being Bertsel, Harry, John (who died in infancy),
Cammie (who died in infancy), and Clemma, who
died in 1911, at the age of twenty-four years.
Charles Hodson was reared on a farm and was educated in
the district schools and in the Highland high school. He owns one
hundred and forty-one acres of land and lives in Fairfield township,
Highland county, where he raises Duroc-Jersey hogs and Jersey cattle.
On Oct. 6, 1900, Charles Hodson was married to
Lena May Fisher, who was born in Green township, Clinton county,
on Jan. 11, 1878, the daughter of Amos and Ruth Ann (Terrell)
Fisher, the former of whom is deceased and the latter of whom is
still living on the old homestead in Green township. Amos
Fisher was born on the farm owned by his parents, John
and Hannah Fisher, in Green township, on Apr. 1, 1846.
John Fisher was born in Highland county on Oct. 29, 1820,
the son of Cephas and Rachel Fisher, natives of
Pennsylvania. His grandparents were James and Jane Fisher,
also natives of Highland county, Ohio. Cephas Fisher
was twice married, the first time to Rachel Stanbury, who
died on May 5, 1844, leaving three children, Mrs. Rebecca Atkinson,
of Story county, Iowa; Cephas, of Henry county, Iowa, and
John, the father of Amos. Cephas Fisher
married, secondly, Mrs. Jane Atkinson. He died on
Dec. 30, 1862, at the age of eighty-four years. On Sept. 25, 1845,
John Fisher was married to Hannah Atkinson, who
was born in Clinton County on June 2, 1827, a daughter of John and
Jane Atkinson, natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania, respectively.
John Atkinson died in April, 1839. Ten children
were born to John and Hannah (Atkinson) Fisher,
Amos being the first born. Among the others were
Amy, who married William McFadden; Harriet Ellen; Joseph;
Phoebe Jane, who married William F. Waddle; Thomas;
Rachel Alice; William Henry and Azariah.
On Jan. 15, 1874, Amos Fisher married Ruth Ann
Terrell, who was born on Nov. 8, 1844, the daughter of
John and Elizabeth (Williams) Terrell, natives
of Highland county. Her maternal grandparents were William
and Phoebe Williams, of North Carolina, who settled in Highland
county. John and Elizabeth Terrell were the parents
of seven children, Hampton W., Ruth Ann, Phoebe Jane, David
E., Mary Edna, Flora A., and Pleasant M.
Amos and Ruth Ann (Terrell) Fisher were the parents of four
children, Elver J., born on Apr. 30,
1875; Lena May, Jan. 11, 1878; Amos Clyde,
June 29, 1880, and Hannah Elizabeth, Oct. 9, 1884.
To Charles and Lena May (Fisher) Hodson five children have been born
namely: Lloyd Delos, born on July 26, 1901; Wilbur
Amos, Jan. 29, 1904; Harold Charles,
Jan. 18, 1906; Dorothy Marie, July 11, 1911, and
Wahneta May, Feb. 23, 1914.
Politically, Mr. Hodson is a Republican, but he has never
aspired to office. The Hodson family are all
members of the Friends Church.
Source: History of
Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page
WILLIAM A. HUDSON,
now an enterprising and well-known farmer and successful business man of
Westboro, this county, was born on Sept. 15, 1857, in Brown county, Ohio,
the son of Charles and Sarah (Lear) Hudson, both natives
of that county, Charles Hudson was the son of
Shelby and Polly Hudson, natives of Indiana, and early settlers
in Brown county, Ohio, where they were farmers. Sarah Lear
was the daughter of Joshua Lear, also an early settler in
received his education in the pioneer schools of Brown county, and some
years after his marriage came to Clinton county, where he purchased a farm
in Marion township, comprising sixty-eight acres, upon which he spent the
remainder of his life. The Hudson family at that
time were all members of the Methodist Episcopal church. To
Charles and Sarah (Lear) Hudson were born seven children, of whom
William A. was the second in order of birth, the other
children being Millie, George, Lillie, Wilford, John and
Hudson, who was brought to Clinton county by his parents when
about five years of age, was reared on a farm in Marion township, and
received his education in the public schools of that township. Upon
reaching manhood he engaged in farming in Jefferson township, where he
lived for some time. Although Mr. Hudson is still
interested in farming and owns thirty-three acres near the village of
Westboro, he has been engaged in recent years in dealing in white-oak
timber, and in 1913 established a coal, cement-post and drain-tile
business in the village of Westboro, where he enjoys a flourishing
business, which is a distinct recognition of his standing as an honorable
citizen in the community.
On Mar. 11, 1883,
William A. Hudson was married to Ella Garner,
a sister of Jesse Garner,
whose biographical sketch, presented elsewhere in this volume, sets out
the family history of the Garners in full. To
Mr. Hudson and wife two children have been born,
Howard and Elbridge, the former of whom is the
cashier of the Merchants and Farmers Bank, of Blanchester, this county,
and the latter a rural mail carrier out of Westboro. Mrs. Hudson is
a member of the Friends church.
Source: History of
Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page
JARRETT HUFFMAN is a
prosperous farmer of Jefferson township, and owns one hundred and eight
acres of land, where he now lives. He was born in Highland county,
Ohio, in 1861, the son of John and Nancy (Johnson) Huffman, natives
of Adams county, Ohio, and Highland county, respectively. The
paternal grandfather of Jarret Huffman was Humphry Huffman,
a native of the Old Dominion state and an early settler in Ohio. He
was a farmer in Highland county and died on his farm. Late in life
he moved to Illinois and his wife died while they were making the journey
to that state. Later he returned to Ohio. Mr. Huffman's
maternal grandparents were early settlers in Highland county, Ohio.
His maternal great-grandfather, Jerod Hopkins, was a native of
Maine and an early settler in Highland county.
John Huffman, the father of Jarret, was
educated in the pioneer schools of the Buckeye state, when greased paper
was used in log cabins for windows. He became a farmer and followed
this occupation in Highland county and later in Clinton county. In
1888 he located near Sabina and later moved to a farm near Westboro.
Still later he returned to Sabina and died near that town. His widow
is still living. He was a soldier in the Civil War and he and his
wife had a family of eleven children.
Jarret Huffman, who was educated in Highland
county, Ohio, worked by the month before his marriage and three years
after his marriage. In 1907 he purchased twenty-one acres of land
near Sabina, but later sold that tract and purchased fifty acres near
Westboro. He then purchased one hundred and eight acres in Jefferson
townships, where he now lives. After buying the last tract, he
disposed of the fifty acres near Westboro. Mr. Huffman is
engaged in general farming.
In April, 1886, Jarret Huffman was married to
Esther Carter, who was born near Sabina, the daughter of John
Millican Carter, a farmer of Wilson township, and to this union five
children have been born, Leotis, Ethel, Maude, Verna Clinton, Cora Esther
and Stella Florence. The Huffman family are members of
the Friends church and take an active interest in church work. They
are a highly respected family in the neighborhood where they live.
JOHN T. HUMPHREYS.
In analyzing the career of the agriculturist, it is invariably found to
be true that unless he is the recipient of estates, his success is the
natural outcome of hard work and careful management. While this is
so in the case of the gentleman above mentioned, his has not been a
selfish attention to his vocation, for he has ever borne in mind the
fact that society had claims upon him, and to this demand he has
responded with an altruism that makes the community his debtor.
John T. Humphreys, now a well-known farmer of
this county, was born on July 8, 1851, in Warren county, Ohio, the son
of John L. Humphreys, a brother of David A. Humphreys,
whose history appears elsewhere in this volume and is thoroughly
identified with the history of Vernon township, having located there
with his parents in 1856, when he was but five years of age. He
pursued his studies in the public schools of the township, and in early
manhood devoted himself to the cultivation of the soil. He
prospered and at the present time owns thirteen hundred and thirty-nine
acres in Vernon township, part of this holding being the farm which
belonged to his father, and which he bought.
On Jan. 31, 1879, John T. Humphreys married
Jennie M. Hartman, who was born in this county on April 22, 1860,
the daughter of James and Allie (Townsend) Hartman. James
Hartman was born on Nov. 22, 1821, the son of Gaynor Hartman,
a pioneer of Clinton county. He died on June 21, 1908. His
wife, who was born on Aug. 3, 1832, also is deceased, and Mrs.
Humphreys died on May 24, 1910. To Mr. and Mrs. Humphreys
were born five children, Arthur (deceased); Everett, Charley,
Fred and Ruth.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Humphreys were for many
years active in the social life of the community in which they lived.
Mrs. Humphreys was a Baptist in faith, while her husband attended
the Methodist Episcopal church. As to the phases of his social and
political life, Mr. Humhreys always has taken keen
interest in the success of the Republican party, for whose welfare he
works. He is a believer in fraternal orders and their purposes,
and is a member of the Knights of Pythias.
The present sketch forms an appropriate part of this
county history, for it concerns a man of sterling qualities, of strong,
interesting personality, and one whose career has been of quiet
HUNNICUT. The farmers of this country are the backbone of
its commercial life, and, as primary producers, are the class upon which,
not only the industrial managers, the transporters, the merchants and the
banks depend largely for the prosperity, but good farming is likewise the
keel of our commercial life and happiness. Wilson Hunnicutt, a
retired farmer who is now living in Wilmington, begun with a
moderate-sized farm, which he bought on credit, and during his active
career was able to accumulate six hundred acres in Liberty and Union
townships, a very commendable record, and one of which he has every reason
to be very proud.
Wilson Hunnicutt was born on August 18, 1848, in
Liberty township, two miles southwest of Port William, the son of
Thomas and Susanna (Bailey) Hunnicut, the former of whom was born in
Prince George county, Virginia, July 10, 1811, and who died on April 10,
1876, and the later born near Dover, Union township, Clinton county, Ohio,
February 9, 1810, and who died on October 15, 1896.
The paternal grandparents of Wilson Hunnicutt
were Thomas, Sr., and Elizabeth Hunnicutt. The Hunnicutts
were of Scotch-Irish descent and were natives of Prince George county,
Virginia. He was a planter in Virginia and died in that state on
February 15, 1823, a man well respected and widely known. His wife
lived several years longer, passing away in 1845. They were
prominent and influential members of the Friends church and were,
therefore, opposed to slavery, although they lived in a region where
slavery was common. Mr. Hunnicutt's maternal grandparents
were Daniel and Mary (Haworth) Bailey, the former of whom was born
in Prince George county, Virginia, came to Clinton county in 1804, at a
time when he was a young man. Here he purchased a farm four miles
north of Wilmington and cultivated it until his death in 1844. He
was a very tall, stoutly built and rugged man. The family of
Daniel and Mary Bailey were stanch Quakers.
Thomas Hunnicutt, Jr., enjoyed only limited
opportunities to obtain an education, but made good sue of every
opportunity presented to him, and became a well-informed man, largely by
home study. When he was sixteen years of age he came to Clinton
county, arriving on June 10, 1827, from Virginia, with his mother,
brothers and sisters and a colony of others. His mother purchased a
farm of one hundred acres in Liberty township, and, after Thomas, Jr.,
was a man, he purchased a tract of land located in what was in those days
a swamp, one mile north of his mother's farm. He became with seventy
acres of land, which he ditched thoroughly and improved, and later he
owned six hundred acres. In 1835 he was married to Susanna Bailey
and they had eight children. Thomas Hunnicutt, Jr., was well
known as a stock raiser, and was appointed on many committees at fairs to
judge hogs, he having been a successful feeder and well known in this
county for his success. He and his wife were devout Christians and
active in the work of the Quaker church. Early in life he had been
appointed an elder in the Dover monthly meetings. Politically, he
was identified with the Republican party.
The eight children born to Thomas, Jr., and
Susanna Hunnicutt became widely separated. Four of the children,
Catherine, David, John Oliver and Anna Eliza, are deceased.
Catherine married William Underwood, also deceased, and
lived in Liberty township. John Oliver died in 1874.
Anna Eliza, who was the youngest, married Henry C. McPherson,
who is also deceased. The living children are Daniel B., Mary
Elizabeth, Wilson and Thomas E. Daniel b. lives in
Douglas county, Kansas, where he is a retired farmer. He is a
veteran of the Civil War. Mary Elizabeth is a widow of
John F. Spear and lives at Dayton, Ohio. Thomas E. lives
in Whittier, California; his wife died in 1898.
Wilson Hunnicutt attended the Liberty township
public schools, and later in life the Martinsville high school.
After attending the high school for some time he became a student at the
Spiceland Academy, at Spiceland, Indiana, an institution maintained by the
Friends. After finishing his education he lived at home until his
marriage. His father sold him a farm on credit, comprising one
hundred and twenty-two acres, and he added to this farm until he owned
five hundred acres in Liberty and Union townships. In 1902 Mr.
Hunnicutt retired from active farm work and moved to Wilmington, Ohio,
where he is now living at 531 North South street.
On August 3, 1871, Mr. Hunnicutt was married to
Mary M. Gallimore, who was born in Wilson township, Clinton county,
Ohio, and who is the daughter of Elisha and Eliza (Grear)
Gillimore, both of whom are deceased. He was born in North
Carolina and his wife was a native of Clinton county. They were
members of the Friends church, and he was an excellent farmer, and at one
time owned one thousand acres of land. Mr. and Mrs.
Hunnicutt have had three children: Franklin who is
referred to elsewhere in this volume; Nora H., who married
Dennis Stephens and lives on the Hunnicutt home place; and
Bertha May, who married Alton M. Haworth, and who died on May
Politically, Mr. Hunnicutt is a Republican and
served as a school director for fifteen years while living in the country.
He is an elder of the Dover monthly meeting. Wilson Hunnicutt
is a very worthy man and a good citizen, a man who has been industrious,
honorable and fair in his relations with his fellows. Naturally, he
is a highly respected citizen of Clinton county.
ROBERT EDGAR HUNT, an
enterprising farmer of Liberty township, this county, who owns a
splendid-looking home on the Xenia pike, was born on April'15, 1856, in
Martinsville, the son of Cyrus and Margaret (Donaldson) Hunt, who
were married in 1852. The former was a native of Clinton county and the
latter of Ireland, who came to Clinton county with her parents. Her father
departed to return to Ireland and no member of the, family has since been
able to discover what became of him. Cyrus, Hunt was the son of
Robert and Ruth (Madden) Hunt, natives of this county, the latter of
whom was an aunt of Moses G., Solomon and Rachel Madden,
whose biographical sketches, presented elsewhere in this volume, give the
history of the Madden family. Robert Hunt was
a farmer in Clinton county and was an extensive stock buyer, in an early
day having been profitably engaged in driving cattle and hogs to
Cincinnati. He was prominent in the pioneer Quaker church of this county
and died in 1856 at the age of fifty-five years. Robert and Ruth
(Madden) Hunt had ten children, of whom Cyrus, the eldest, was
the father of Robert Edgar, the subject of this sketch, the
other children being George, Nathan, Henry,
Elizabeth, Mary, Edith, Rachel, Ann and
Cyrus Hunt received a common school
education in the public schools of Clinton county and taught school
practically all of his life. He became a well-read man and was a natural
leader in the community in which he lived. As a member of the Friends
church, he was active in religious work and was also active in civic
affairs. In the days before the Civil War, he was prominent in the
"underground railroad" movement and was one of the leaders in the local
anti-slavery agitation of that period. For four years he taught a
territorial Indian school in the west and died in Kansas in February,
1898. Cyrus and Margaret (Donaldson) Hunt were the parents
of four children, Oliver, Robert Edgar, Palmer
and Gladys. Oliver is a resident of Oklahoma and has been
married twice, the first time to Alice Hiatt, by whom he had
three sons, and the second time to Ola Hinshaw. Palmer,
who is also a resident of Oklahoma, is unmarried. Gladys is
unmarried and lives with her mother.
Robert Edgar Hunt was educated in
the common schools and was reared on the farm. On October 24, 1878, he was
married to Lavinia Hiatt, who was born on the farm where
Mr. and Mrs. Hunt now live, the daughter of Allen and Susan (Folger)
Hiatt. Allen Hiatt was a farmer and large landowner in
Clinton county, having been the owner, altogether, of about five hundred
acres of land.
To Robert E. and Lavinia (Hiatt) Hunt five
children have been born, Gladys, Susan, Bernard, Alice and
Doris. Gladys married Alvin Hartman, of Clinton county, and has
three children, George E., Conard and Alice. Bernard, who
lives on the old home place, in Liberty township, married Edith Hurley
and has two children, Esther and Elizabeth. The
remainder of the children are unmarried.
After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Hunt moved to
the farm of one hundred acres in Liberty township, where they now live.
They enjoy a comfortable competence and are highly respected citizens of