OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Welcome to Clinton
County, Ohio

BIOGRAPHIES
(Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio
Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915)
Contrib. by Sharon Wick

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

ALPHEUS GADDIS.  It is, indeed, a distinguished mark of honor for those living in the present generation to be able to trace clearly their ancestry back to the Revolutionary War, and even a greater distinction when it is known that such ancestry fought with honor in that war.  Such is the case with Alpheus Gaddis, the subject of this sketch.
     Alpheus Gaddis was born on Nov. 21, 1868, in a long house on the old Gaddis homestead in Union twp., Clinton Co., Ohio, the son of Andrew R. Gaddis.  He attended the Dover district school and later the Shadyside district school No. 1.  He was the only son of a family of ten children, so he remained on his father's farm and assisted in the work until his marriage, in 1895.  He then moved into the brick house built by his grandfather, Rice Gaddis, on the same farm, and has run that farm ever since for his father, though practically on his own initiative.
     Andrew R. Gaddis was the son of Rice Gaddis, who was the son of Col. Thomas Gaddis, the latter of whom was born on Dec. 28, 1744, and died on June 10, 1834.  He married Hannah Rice, who was born on Feb. 4, 1835, and who died in her eighty-eighth year.  They came to Clinton county to reside in September of 1814.  Starting from Fayette county, Pennsylvania, where they formerly lived, they descended the Ohio river on boats, on which they transported their teams and wagons and household goods, and landed at Manchester, Ohio, proceeding thence to Wilmington, where they remained over night in Warren Satur's tavern.  The next day Henry Batt, between whom and Colonel Gaddis some acquaintance and relationship existed, invited Colonel Gaddis to take possession of a house belonging to him, where the newcomers remained for that winter.  On Apr. 21, 1810, Colonel Gaddis purchased three hundred and twenty-five acres, all of which he purchased at the price of one dollar and twenty-five cents the acre.  He built a log cabin, cleared a portion of the land and spent the rest of his life there.  He was a small man in stature but a big man in affairs.  He was the father of a large family, most of whom died when quite small.  Col. Gaddis commanded a regiment under Washington throughout the Revolutionary War and in later years took great pride in showing his commission and discharge, both of which bore the signature of his great commander, the "father of his country."
     Rice Gaddis, the son of Col. Thomas Gaddis, was born in 1784 and died on Feb. 11, 1853.  He grew up on his father's farm in Pennsylvania and had a fair education for one of that day.  He was a private in his father's regiment in the War of 1812, and came to Clinton county with his parents when they came from Pennsylvania.  He had learned the printer's trade in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, and when he came to Clinton county located in Wilmington, where he opened the first printing establishment in Clinton county and got out the first newspaper ever published here.  This paper was published in partnership with Israel Abrams and was called the True American.  The paper was issued every Thursday at an annual advance price of two dollars.  In 1821 Rice Gaddis discontinued the publication of his paper and removed the press to his father's home, where he continued to do job work and to print original essays, while caring for his parents.  His father willed him two hundred acres of the old home place and in 1839 he built on that tract a brick house which is still standing.  He was not married until the age of fifty-four and his only child was Andrew R. Gaddis, the father of the subject of this sketch.  His wife was Sarah (Andrews) Pendry, who was born in Virginia, near Sweet Briar, in September of 1804, and who died on Nov. 22, 1901.  Her first marriage was to William Pendry and there were born to that marriage six children, four sons and two daughters, only one of whom is now living, Mrs. Mary Ellen Gullet, of Lima, Ohio.
     Andrew Rice Gaddis was the only child of Rice and Sarah (Andrews) Gaddis and was born on the place in which he now lives in Union township, Clinton county, on May 23, 1841.  He attended the Dover district school as a boy, and after his father's death, which occurred when he was only twelve years ofa age, he took charge of the home place.  He inherited this place at the age of maturity, and, in 1874, built the home where he now lives.  On Oct. 9, 1861, he married Amanda Smith, who was born in Union township, this county, on the Port William pike, the daughter of Joseph and Hannah (Babb) Smith.  Joseph Smith was born in Virginia in 1812 and died in September of 1865.  He was the son of Levi and Abigail Smith, and came to this county with his parents, when a mere boy, from Virginia and settled in Union township.  Hannah (Babb) Smith was the daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Babb, and was born in Clinton county in 1815 and died on Feb. 11, 1904.
     The following children have been born to Andrew Rice and Amanda (Smith) Gaddis: Ella, who was born on Jan. 8, 1863, and who married William S. Lisle, a mechanical foreman, of Springfield, Ohio; Mary, Oct. 19, 1864, who died on Nov. 23, 1882; Emma, Aug. 29, 1866, who married George E. Barlow, and lives on a farm in Liberty township; Alpheus, the subject of this sketch; Laura, Dec. 7, 1870, who married William Toole and lives on a farm in Richland township; Elsie, Nov. 29, 1872, who married George Slicker, and lives on a farm near Wilmington; Ida, Jan. 7, 1875, who married Oscar Chrisenberg, and lives at Knox, Indiana; Hattie, Dec. 25, 1876, who died on June 27, 1905; Annie, Dec. 9, 1879, who married Homer Ray, and lives on a farm in Richland township, and Daisy, July 24, 1882, who married George Johnson, and lives on a farm in Richland township.
     Alpheus Gaddis, the fourth child of Andrew Rice and Amanda (Smith) Gaddis, and the subject of this sketch, was married on Jan. 17, 1895, to Rebecca Huff, who was a native of Clinton county, and who died on May 10, 1913.  She was a daughter of John and Sarah Huff.
     Alpheus Gaddis had no children by his first wife, but on Jan. 1, 1914, he contracted his second marriage with Anna Durtsche, and to this union has been born one child, Alpheus Alonzo, who was born on Jan. 15, 1915.  Anna Durtsche was born in Gallion, Ohio, the daughter of Jacob and Catherine Durtsche, the former of whom is now dead, but whose widow is still living.
     Alpheus Gaddis comes of a family illustrious for its industry and honesty.  He is a young man of humble claims but sterling worth.  He is a Republican in politics and is found always ready to serve his party.  He can point with pride to the work of his ancestors in the cause of American freedom, and to their helpfulness in all of the humanitarian and progressive movements which have helped maintain that freedom.
Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  537
WILLIAM B. GALLAHER.  It is the honorable reputation of the man of standing and affairs more than any other consideration, which gives character and stability to the body polite.  While advancing his personal interests, William B. Gallaher has never lost sight of his obligations to the community at large, where for many years he has held a high place in the popular confidence and esteem as a cashier of the Sabina Bank.  He entered this institution thirty-five years ago as a bookkeeper and ten years later was elected cashier, the position which he still holds. 
     William B. Gallaher was born on Feb. 4, 1859, at Port William, Ohio, the son of James and Maria (Mills) Gallaher, the former of whom was born on Dec. 5, 1829, near Sabina in Clinton county, and the latter of whom was born on July 12, 1827, the daughter of Daniel and Mary Mills.  James Gallaher was the son of Charles and Elizabeth (Douglas) Gallaher, the former of whom was born in 1800 near Lebanon, Ohio, and the latter of whom was born in Columbiana county, Ohio.  Charles P. Gallaher was the son of James Gallaher, who was born in Monmouth county, New Jersey, on teh site of the battle ground of Monmouth, in 1764, and who had two brothers who took part in that battle.  In 1875, just after reaching his majority, he immigrated to Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, where he lived until 1797, when he moved to Hamilton county, Ohio.  There he remained for two years and then moved to Warren county, Ohio, and located near Lebanon.  He assisted in building the first court house at Lebanon.  In 1814 he moved to Richland township, Clinton county, where he remained until his death.  He had a family of six daughters and two sons.
     Charles P. and Elizabeth Gallaher were prominent in the life of Richland township.  He was educated in the common schools of Lebanon, Ohio, and when a young man taught school in Richland township, Clinton county.  He came with his parents to Richland township, in 1814, and later became a farmer, owning three hundred and sixty acres of land.  He also practiced law for some time before justices of the peace and he became a justice of the peace in Richland township and served in this capacity for about twenty-five years.  After coming to Sabina, Ohio, he served as mayor for two terms.  It was about 1863 that he retired from the farm and moved to Sabina, where the remainder of his life was spent.  He was an ardent Republican.  He and his wife were members of the Methodist Protestant church.  They had eight children: James, Mary, Leah, Martha, Thompson, Charles L., Elizabeth and Milo A.
    
Of these children, James was the father of William B. Gallaher.  He was educated in the common schools of Clinton county and when a very young man, began farming in Liberty township.  In 1863 he moved to a farm in Richland township and after the close of the Civil War, moved to Sabina.  During the Civil War, he served as a member of Company B, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was a second lieutenant.  Although enlisted for only ninety days, he participated in the battle of Monocacy Junction.
     Upon moving to Sabina, James Gallaher engaged in the clothing business for three years and then returned to his farm in Richland township.  From 1869 to 1879 he lived on the farm and then returned to Sabina, where he lived until his death, Dec. 24, 1912.  He was a Republican in politics and a member of the Methodist Protestant church.  James and Maria Gallaher had three children: Frank who married Minnie Sass and lives in Iowa, where he is a farmer; Louie, who married Musgrove Daughters, now deceased, and lives in Idaho; and William B., the subject of this sketch.  The mother of these children died on March 13, 1899.
     William B. Gallaher was educated in the public schools of Sabina and when a young man, worked on the farm.  On Dec. 9, 1889, he entered the Sabina Bank as bookkeeper and ten years later, in 1890, was elected to the position of cashier in the same bank, which position he still holds.  Mr. Gallaher also owns a farm in partnership with G. A. Pavey in Fayette county, Ohio.  This farm consists of two hundred and sixty-two acres and is cultivated by a tenant.
     On Feb. 9, 1882, William B. Gallaher, was married to Sallie Sylvester, who was born on Dec. 26, 1858, the daughter of James Sylvester.  Two children, Herman S. and Frederick, have been born to this union.  The former married Martha Haines and lives at Sabina.  The latter lives at home with his father.
     As a Republican, William B. Gallaher has served as township treasurer and as a member of the school board and secretary for six years.  He was also a member of the corporation council.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is a member of the Methodist Protestant church.
Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page
 495
FRANK L. GALLUP.  Adapting a sentiment once expressed concerning the writing of history, it is appropriate to quote:  "Writing history is like making a bouquet in a garden of rare and beautiful flowers - there is such an army of material, so much to choose from, so little that can be chosen, and so much to be left untouched."  The same might be said of the biography of a self-made man, such as the subject of this sketch, for in such a life, it is possible only to portray, the external events and final results, though their influence may go down to posterity.  There is something in the American heart which makes it respond to the word "self-made," as a soldier responds to a drumbeat.  When that term is applied to one of our acquaintance, our respect immediately mounts higher, but the hardships encountered on the journey to success fortunately remain in the memory only of the man himself.  One of the best-known and most influential merchants is Frank L. Gallup, dealer in carpets, and wall paper who was born in Wilmington on Jan. 27, 1872, the son of Horace and Frances (Crary) Gallup, both natives of Connecticut.
     Whatever of success Frank L. Gallup has attained, has been largely through his own efforts, for the father was a man of moderate means, and in those days a college education was indeed a luxury.  But the father left his son something for more priceless than means, and that was an honest name.
     Horace Gallup came to Wilmington in the pioneer days of 1848, his journey from the East apparently being made in the desire to find full scope for his adventurous nature.  Together with his parents and their family, he started a sash and blind factory with his brothers, Alpha and Henry, which they operated successfully, for many years.  He was a man of high standing in the community, and was a Mason.  His widow, who still survives him is living in Wilmington.  Mr. Gallup was twice married, his first wife being Emily Clevenger by whom he had two daughters, Nettie, the wife of A. E. Caudel, deceased, and whose home was in Westerville, Ohio, and Emma, now Mrs. Charles Hadley of Wilmington.
     The children of the second marriage were three in number, of which the subject of this sketch is the eldest.  Anna, the eldest daughter, is the wife of H. T. Cartwright, a prominent attorney of Wilmington; Mary, the youngest, is Mrs. P. F. Dixon of Chillicothe, Ohio, her husband being a dentist in that city.
     As before stated, the boyhood home of Frank Gallup was at Wilmington, in its schools of which he was educated, this including a course in the Wilmington college.  As it was necessary for him early to assume the responsibilities of life, he first sought and obtained employment from H. G. Cartwright, taking charge of the carpet department of his carpet and dry-goods establishment.  Some time after this, Mr. Gallup was employed by Cook & Linton until the death of the former, at which time, Mr. Gallup, who had now become a valuable salesman, took over the carpet department of this business.  He first started in business on May 14, 1898, and has grown from the modest beginning to be the largest merchant in his life in the county.
     That Mr. Gallup is a good business man by nature as well as by training may be perceived by the face that starting with a small stock and store, eh now has a stock four times as large as that of any other town of the size of Wilmington in the state.  The store has a floor space of ten thousand five hundred square feet, and the stock and fixtures occupy two doors and the basement.  Mr. Gallup carries a large line of carpets, draperies, wall paper, china, vacuum cleaners, and gives especial attention to the work of home decorating.
     On Jan. 21, 1900, Mr. Gallup and Maude Anderson of Leesburg, Ohio, were married, the bride being a daughter of Thomas J. and Jennie (Chew) Anderson.  The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Gallup are Helen, Mildred and Chester.
     Mr. and Mrs. Gallup's
church affiliation has been with the Presbyterian of which denomination, the former is now a trustee.  Both he and his wife have been valuable members of the church, active and zealous in all of its work, and sincere in their desire to make their lives count for good.
     Mr. Gallup is a loyal and energetic member of various organizations.  Besides taking his place among the merchants of the city, Mr. Gallup is a prominent Mason, being up to the commandery; is a member of the Elks lodge; the Knights of Pythias, and is a Republican.
     One of the honors of which has come to Mr. Gallup recently is an office connected with the Commercial Club.  Since he has become its treasurer, the financial affairs of this important business organization have been well looked after.  In "boosting" its interests, he has also "boosted" the business conditions in Wilmington.  He is a "live wire," and is popular both as a business man and in the social and religious circles in which he and Mrs. Gallup move.
     In closing this sketch, it is fitting to note that high moral standards have always actuated Frank L. Gallup, both in his public, business and private life.  With honesty and integrity as the key-note to his career, it is not surprising that he has built up a large business his geniality and kindliness being no small factor in his success.
Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page
 416
PHOTO AVAILABLE
JOHN T. GANO.  Among the successful farmers of Liberty township, this county, is John T. Gano, who owns one hundred and twenty acres of land comprising a productive and highly profitable farm.  Mr. Gano was born in Washington county, Iowa, on Sept. 1, 1856, the son of John S. and Rhoda (Beech) Gano, the former of whom was born probably in Virginia.  They were members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  John S. Gano died when his son, John T., was an infant.  After the father's death, the mother came with her family to Clinton county, locating near what was then the home of her brother.  Of the tree children born to Mr. and Mrs. John S. Gano, only one, John T., the subject, is now living, Margaret and Martha his sisters, being deceased.  Mrs. John S. Gano never married again.
     Educated in the district schools of Clinton county, John T. Gano engaged in farming as soon as he was old enough to be employed in such work.  On Aug. 9, 1877, he was united in marriage to Louisa Garman who was born on the farm where she and Mr. Gano now live, the daughter of Samuel and Alice Garman farmers of Liberty township and members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Gano located on their present farm.  To their union four children have been born, namely: Blanche, who married Frank Shrack, of Melvin this county, and has four children, Wilbur, Charles, Mary L. and Frank; Ethel, who married Wilbur Cline of Greene county, Ohio, and has one child, Carl; Granville, who married Emma Stobis and has three children, John L., Ellen and Beulah M., and Earl, who died at the age of three years.
     Mr. and Mrs. Gano are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Lumberton and attend the Sunday school.  Mr. Gano is trustee of the church and has served in that capacity for ten years.  Fraternally, he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Daughters of Rebekah.  In 1905, he built a commodious house on his farm and now enjoys all the modern conveniences of country life.  No residents of Liberty township are more highly respected than Mr. and Mrs. Gano and their many friends hold them in the highest esteem.
(Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page 891)
JESSE GARNER, now a well-known undertaker and farmer of Westboro, this county, was born near Martinsville, in Clark township, this county, Feb. 2, 1853, one of the eleven children born to James and Grace (Moon) Garner, both natives of the southern part of Clinton county.
     James Garner was the son of William and Ann (Hockett) Garner, natives of Tennessee and pioneers settlers in Clinton county.  William Garner died in Jefferson township,  Grace (Moon) Garner was the daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Comber) Moon, who settled near Martinsville, this county, in pioneer times.  There they had a large farm and there they spent the remainder of their lives. 
     The late James Garner was educated in the schools of Clinton county and there began farming.  When Jesse was five years old, his parents moved to Grant county, Indiana, where they remained for five years and then returned to Jefferson township, this county, where James Garner again took up farming and also followed carpentering.  He was preacher in the Friends church for forty years.
     Jesse Garner was educated in this county and has lived practically all of his life in Jefferson township.  He owns fifty-five acres near Westboro and seventeen acres elsewhere.  In 1892 he moved to Westboro and, after locating there, became accustomed to accompanying his brother-in-law, E. J. Moon, a well-known undertaker of the time, on his business trips.  Afterward he purchased Mr. Moon's business, attended the Clarke School of Embalming at Cincinnati and became a practical undertaker.  Since that time he has taken post graduate work under Carl L. Barnes, of Chicago.
     On Nov. 7, 1882, Jesse Garner was married to Mary Miranda Haines, daughter of Mordecai Haines, to which union have been born four children, Mont J., Cora, Verda and Carl.  On Dec. 17, 1901, Mr. Garner married, secondly, Gula Hallsted, daughter of James W. Hallsted, and to this union have been born four children, Burdett, Grace, Elma May and Thelma Fay (twins).
     Elected as a Republican to the office of trustee of Jefferson township, Mr. Garner served one term, twenty-four years ago, in that capacity.  He and his wife and family are all members of the Friends church.
Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  841
WILLIAM GARNER.  There are few families living in Clinton county today which have become more numerous than that of the Garners.  William Garner, a well-known farmer of Clark township and for twelve years a trustee of Wilmington college, was born just a short distance from Martinsville in Clark township, Nov. 12, 1850, the son of James Garner, who married Grace Moon, born in this county in 1823, a daughter of Joseph Moon.
    
In 1915 the Garner family held its twenty-fourth annual reunion in Clinton county.  The earliest known ancestor of this family was John Fusha Garner, a native of Tennessee or North Carolina, who had a son, James Garner, who was married about 1793 to Mary Moon, and who subsequently located in Clinton county.  Mary Moon was the daughter of Joseph Moon, but not the Joseph Moon heretofore referred to.  To James and Mary (Moon) Garner were born fifteen children, William, John, Joseph, Riley, Ira, James, Rebecca, Elizabeth, James, Jr., Jane, Polly, Nancy, Matilda, Sarah and Elizabeth.  Of these children, William, who was born on Apr. 20, 1794, married Ann Hockett, a native of Clinton county born on Aug. 1, 1797.  They had thirteen children: John, born in 1818; Elizabeth Andrew, 1819; James, 1820; Ruth Andrew, 1822; Jesse and Mary, 1823 and 1825 respectively, who died in childhood; Rebecca Pyle, 1827; Susana Greene, 1829; Jeptha, 1831, who was a physician in Tennessee; Nancy, 1833, who died in childhood; Riley 1835; Rachel Moore, 1836; Martha Coppock, 1838.  John, the second child born to James and Mary (Moon) Garner, married and had six children, Mary, Amos, Irena, Polly, James and Elizabeth.  Joseph, the third born, married and had seven children, Silas, James, Mary, Martha, Rebecca, Elizabeth and Nancy.  Riley, the fourth born, married and had nine children, Sallie, Joshua, Rebecca, Louisa, Olive, Mary Ellen, William, Susan and Emiline.  Ira, the fifth born, married and had ten children, Martha A., Joseph, Milton, Richard, Pleasant, Isabel, Rebecca, James, Asa and Mary Matilda.  James, the sixth born, married and had eight children, Rachel, Ellen, John, Elbridge, Jefferson, George, Romeo, and Bessie.  Rebecca, the seventh born, married and had seven children, Joseph, Riley, John, Sallie, Mary, Ann and James.  Rebecca's family lived in Utah.  Elizabeth and James, the eighth and ninth born, died in infancy.  Jane, the tenth born, married and had seven children.  Lydia, William, Asa, Reuben, Mary Jane, Jabez and James.  Polly, the eleventh born, although married had no children of her own.  She, however, adopted ten children.  Nancy, the twelfth born, married and had eight children, Elizabeth, Zimrine, Asa, Mary, Ann, James, John and Pleasant.  Matilda, the thirteenth born, married and had five children, Eliza, Jefferson, James, Mary and Martha.  Sarah, the fourteenth born, married and had six children, Silas, William, James, Leander, Albert and Mary Ann.  Elizabeth, the fifteenth child, married and had four children, Mary, Rachel, Edom and Matilda Ann.
     William Garner
, the subject of the sketch and the fourth born in a family of eleven children, was educated in the public schools of Clinton county and became a farmer.  First, he rented land, but, in 1808, purchased forty-eight acres of land in Jefferson township, where he now lives.  In 1910, Mr. Garner erected a comfortable house, and has been engaged in general farming for some time.
     On January 1, 1874, William Garner was married to Louisa Hammer, who was born at Westboro, this county, on July 19, 1854, a daughter of John and Drusella (Lane) Hammer, and to this union five children have been born, Hattie, Frank, Ethel, Cecil E. and Velma, all of whom have taught school.
     So far as the records are available, the Garner family have all been members of the Friends church.  Mr. Garner served for twenty-five years as a member of the school board in this county and for eleven years in the same capacity in Brown county, Ohio, and was a member of the board of trustees of Wilmington College for fourteen years.
Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  854
HARRY GASKILL

Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  533

JAMES F. GASKINS

Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  874

EDWARD GEORGE

Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  810

JOHN J. GEORGE

Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  723

JOHN P. GEORGES

Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  924

GEORGE W. GIFFIN

Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page 519

THEODORE GIFFIN

Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  827

SIMON GOODWIN

Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  541

C. A. GOODWIN

Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  895

EDWARD M. GOODWIN

Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  834

ELIEL C. GREENE

Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  567

RICHARD C. GREENE

Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  704

  NATHAN S. GREGORY, a successful farmer and stockman of Green township, by perseverance, industry and wise economy has attained a comfortable station in life, and is well and favorably known throughout Clinton County.  As a consequence of his wide and various interests, he is regarded by all who know him as a man of the best type of American citizenship, straightforward, unassuming, genial and obliging.  Mr. Gregory is the proprietor of "Maple Grove Stock Farm," where he has made a specialty of raising standard-bred trotting horses.
     Nathan S. Gregory was born on Dec. 28, 1856, in Green township, this county, the son of James J. and Nancy (Rix) Gregory, the former of whom also was a native of Green township, born on Oct. 22, 1819, and the latter of whom was born on July 24, 1819.  They were married in Green township on Dec. 25, 1839.
     Mr. Gregory's paternal grandparents were Levi and Katie (Walker) Gregory, natives of Fayette county, Pennsylvania, and Clark county, Kentucky, respectively.  Katie (Walker) Gregory was the daughter of Robert and Nancy (Huls) Walker pioneer of Clinton country.  Mr. Gregory's maternal grandparents were Jordan and Nancy Rix, both natives of North Carolina and early settlers in Clinton county, who died near New Antioch.
     The late James J. Gregory grew up in Green township, and attended the public schools of that township.  He owned one hundred and seven acres of land.  As a Republican, he was elected infirmary director for one term, the same year that the late Addison P. Russell was elected secretary of state.  James J. Gregory was a member of the Christian church early in life, but, late in life, became a member of the Universalist church.  His wife remained a faithful member of the Christian Church until her death on Feb. 2, 1885.  James J. Gregory died on Dec. 11, 1907.  He and his wife were the parents of eight children, as follows:  Sarah C., born Nov. 30, 1840; Albert F., Nov. 18, 1843; Emily J., Mar. 6, 1847; Samantha E., Sept. 13, 1849; Survetus L., Feb. 28, 1854; Nathan S., Dec. 28, 1856; Laura B., Dec. 13, 1859, and Ulysses S. Grant, Aug. 25, 1865.
     Reared on his father's farm and educated in the public schools of Clinton county and in the high school at New Vienna, as well as in the normal schools at Sabina and Wilmington, Nathan S. Gregory, during the first ten years of his active career, was engaged in teaching school.  When a very young man, he purchased twenty-five acres of land and kept adding to the tract until he now owns five hundred and sixty acres.  Mr. Gregory is proprietor of "Maple Grove Stock Farm," and has acquired a wide reputation as a breeder of standard-bred trotting horses.
     On Dec. 25, 1886, Nathan S. Gregory was married to Mrs. Mary E. (Foster) Cantrell, who was born Aug. 23, 1856, the daughter of Joseph and Cynthia Foster, natives of Highland county.  Joseph Foster is deceased and his widow is living with the family of Mr. Gregory.  Mr. and Mrs. Gregory are the parents of two children.  Sherman R. born on Oct. 13, 1887, attended the public schools of the county and the Greenfield Business College and married Della M. Brown, who has borne him four children, Chester Milton, Lena and Beatice,  and Russell, Jan. 28, 1894, who attended the public schools and married Minnie Campbell, who was born him one child, a son, Nathan William.
     Mr. and Mrs. Gregory
were formerly members of the Friends church, but are now, with their family, members of the Christian church.  Mr. Gregory votes the Republican ticket and for several years has served as a member of the school board in Green township.
Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page
 800
JOHN GRIM

Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page  560

J. WARREN GUSTIN.  It is a happy day when farm and city work in unison and produce lives of helpful-service.  J. Warren Gustin, the subject of this sketch, was a good farmer who came to the city and proved sufficiently his worth to the people that they elected him to their highest office, mayor of their city.
     J. Warren Gustin was born in Warren county, Ohio, on Sept. 28, 1847.  He was the son of Samuel and Hettie (Freiberger) Gustin, both natives of Warren county.  Samuel Gustin was born in Warren county in 1811, and died there in 1808 at the ripe age of eighty-seven years.  He was the son of Abel and Mary Gustin who were natives of Virginia but came as early pioneers to Warren county, Ohio, where they lived the rest of their lives.  Hettie (Freiberger) Gustin was born in Warren county, Ohio, in 1817, and died in Blanchester, in Clinton county, in 1881.  She was the daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Freiberger, early pioneers of Warren county, Ohio.  Samuel Gustin was a Republican in politics, and an active member of the Free Will Baptist church.  To him and Hettie (Freiberger) Gustin were born the following children:  Sallie; Rebecca, deceased; J. Warren, the subject of this sketch; Carrie; Elma, deceased; Luella, and William S.
     J. Warren Gustin
was reared on his father's farm.  He was educated in the public schools of that county but was not satisfied with only this amount of an education so he attended Goshen Seminary in Clermont county and afterwards the Nelson commercial school of Cincinnati, Ohio.  His parents were strong advocates of education and J. Warren Gustin had one brother and three sisters who were teachers in the public schools, but he, after his education was secured, went back on the farm where he worked until in 1885.  He then came to Blanchester to engage in the hardware business, in which business he continued until in 1907.  He is now secretary of the building and loan association of Blanchester and still continues to own and conduct his farm in Warren county.
     Mr. Gustin is a Republican and has been a member of the city council and city treasurer and was elected to the office of mayor of Blanchester and took this office, which he now holds, on Jan. 1, 1914.  He is a member of the Masonic order and is a Knight Templar.
     J. Warren Gustin was married in 1875, to Ella Rice, of Clinton county, who was a daughter of John W. and Martha (Trickey) Rice, both of whom are now deceased.  To this union were born two children: Harry, who is now with the Brownwell Brush and Wiregoods Company, at Baltimore, Maryland, and Lucy, who is the wife of Edward W. Hawk, who is assistant manager of the New Gibson House, of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Source: History of Clinton County, Ohio - Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1915 - Page
 483

CLICK HERE to Return to
CLINTON COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights