OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
CLERMONT COUNTY, OHIO
SOURCE: HISTORY OF
CLERMONT AND BROWN COUNTIES, OHIO
— VOLUME II —
H. SAPP. Among the resident farmers of
Clermont county, Ohio, who served their country in the
Civil war, are numbered James H. Sapp, residing in
Monroe township, not far from New Richmond. The farm which
Mr. Sapp now owns and operates has been the
property of some member of the Sapp family
since it was obtained from the government. On September
27, 1843, James Sapp was born, he being a
son of Abel and Sarah (Hodge) Sapp.
Abel Sapp, a native
of Clermont county, was born about 1812, and lived to the
good old age of seventy-two years. He was born on this
same farm in Monroe township, and followed farming as his
life work. Abel Sapp was a son of Edward and
Elizabeth (Seaton) Sapp, the former of whom came to
this county from Kentucky, when he was a young man. He
passed away in 1843, of cholera.
Sarah (Hodge) Sapp was born in Clermont county,
about 1819, and died in 1886, a daughter of James and (Treece)
Hodge, the latter of an old family of Washington
township. James Hodge was an old resident of
James H. Sapp is one of
five children, of which one sister died in infancy; the
youngest is now living in Pasadena, Cal. He received his
education in the schools of the county, and the Parker
Academy. In 1863, Mr. Sapp enlisted in
Company L, Ohio cavalry, under Captain Gatch.
He served until the close of the war, nearly two years,
being sergeant when he was discharged, never having been
After the close of the war, Mr. Sapp
returned to his home and, has followed general farming
since. His marriage to Miss Jane Ann Porter took
place in the winter of 1865. Jane Ann Porter is a
daughter of William and Asenath (Lane) Porter. The
Lanes were of a prominent family, one cousin, Henry
Lane, was at one time Governor of Indiana.
William Porter, whose parents were from
Scotland, was born in Clermont county soon after the
arrival of the family in the county.
Mrs. Sapp has two brothers and two
sisters living: Charles, superintendent of the
Tenth district schools of Cincinnati; John, a farmer
living in Tennessee; Mrs. Henry Maltox, of
Washington State; Mrs. H. L. Fridman, a widow
living at Clermontville.
Mr. and Mrs. Sapp are the parents of five children:
Edward A., in the oil and gas business in
Chautauqua county, Kansas. He is married and has three
sons and one daughter.
Hattie, is the wife of Elmer Smith, of
Mary, a graduate nurse of Seaside Hospital, of Long
Jessie, is the wife of Clayton H. Corbin, a
cousin of the late Gen. Henry Corbin.
Olive, was in business in Cincinnati, until her
decease at twenty-three years of age.
Mr. Sapp is a member of the Frazier Post of
Bethel Grand Army of the Republic, and in religious views
favors the Methodist church. He is Republican and keeps
well informed on all the political subjects of the day,
although he has never accepted any office of the county,
believing his family was his first consideration. He has
given his business his entire attention with most
excellent results. A man conscientious in all his
dealings, he has the respect of all his neighbors and
JOHN SHAW, deceased, figured prominently in the
affairs of Clermont county for many years, and his
enterprise and capabilities won for him an honored name.
He was a farmer and stock raiser, being one of the first
to introduce the Durham Short Horn cattle into the
county, also making a specialty of well bred sheep and
hogs. Mr. Shaw was a large land owner,
having tracts of land in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana,
some of which is still in the family. Mr. Shaw
was born in Ohio township, Clermont county, April 1,
1810, and died Nov. 1, 1896, having spent his entire
life in the county.
In political views. Mr. Shaw was an earnest
Democrat giving support to that party throughout his
active life. He served the county in the office of
deputy county auditor and was a member of the
constitutional convention, in 1873.
Hon. John Shaw was a son of John Shaw and
a grandson of James Shaw, the latter being
born in Belfast, Ireland, coming to America, alone, when
he was fifteen years of age, about 1770 or 1771, he
having been bound out. The family to whom the boy,
James, was bound, settled in York county,
Pennsylvania, and when the Revolutionary war broke out
he enlisted in the army under Lafayette, serving
throughout the war. James Shaw brought his
wife and family, in 1795, to Limestone (now Maysville),
Ky., but shortly after settled near Alexandria, Campbell
county, Kentucky, where he secured and improved
considerable wild land. After living to a good old
age, James Shaw passed peacefully away, in 1825,
leaving an untarnished record and an unspotted
James Shaw, son of James, was born in
1779. As a young man he served two terms, at different
times, in the Ohio legislature. About 1808,
John Shaw located at Monroe township, Clermont
county, Ohio, where he secured a large tract of wild
land, which he improved and resided on until his death,
in 1847. He was of Scotch-Irish descent and was
reared a strict Presbyterian but became a believer in
the Universalist doctrine. John Shaw served
in the War of 1812, receiving an honorable discharge.
He married Nancy Morin from Culpeper county,
Virginia, who came by horseback to Kentucky with her
father, the family settling in Campbell county.
She and her husband reared six sons and four daughters
to maturity, all of whom are married. James,
the eldest son, went to Texas when a young man, and was
a pioneer and active in the early political history of
the State, and served in the Mexican war. The
second, John, is the subject of this review.
Robert and Joseph went to Missouri, the
former being killed in the Civil war, he being a carrier
of the mail and a Union man in belief. Jonathan
served two terms as county commissioner in Clermont
county, residing in Monroe township.
The Hon. John Shaw married Miss Ida Webb,
who was born near Cincinnati, September 17, 1812, and
died September 8, 1900. She was a daughter of
General Clayton and Jane (Riggs) Webb, the latter a
daughter of a Revolutionary soldier and a resident of
New Jersey. Gen. Clayton Webb served in the
War of 1812, and was a personal friend of
William Henry Harrison. General Webb was one
of the early settlers of Hamilton county, Ohio, and was
a member of the early Ohio legislature. He owned a
great deal of land about Newtown.
An unusually long life together was enjoyed by Mr.
and Mrs. Shaw, they having been married sixty years,
lacking three months. To their union were born
Nancy, who married Francis E. Bette, of
Clayton W., who died a soldier of the Civil war,
a member of Company M, Fifth Ohio Infantry.
James Fremont, who resides in Campbell county,
Kentucky, aged sixty-five years. He married
Miss Lula Reed, who died in 1912. They have
five sons and two daughters.
John C., farmer and stockman of Monroe township,
married, 1875, Miss Sallie Goble, a daughter of
Stephen and Alice (Brown) Goble. They have
had four children, three of whom are living.
Viola, who is the wife of Elwood Reed, of
Detroit, Mich. They have two children living.
When Mr. Shaw was called to his final rest,
Clermont county lost one of its most valued men, whose
business success came to him through the utilization of
opportunities and the recognition of the fact that the
present, not the future, is the time to put forth one's
best efforts and energies for the attainment of success.
He was never remiss in his duties whether in office or
out of it, and was an advocate of all progressive
measures for the general good of the community, ever
ready to give his aid to all worthy enterprises.
His life was active and his actions manly and sincere.
(Photos in this volume)
R. SMITH. One of the best known men in
Clermont county is Joseph R. Smith, an extensive
farmer and stock raiser, and a prominent member of the
local organization of the Democratic party. He has held
many township offices and has otherwise been active in
political circles. He has a fine farm of two hundred
acres, about three miles east of Milford, on the Milford
and Woodville pike, his postoffice address being Milford,
Rural Route No. 1. He is a native of Cincinnati, born
March 2, 1850, son of William F. and Eliza (Paylor)
Smith. He was educated in his native city, living
there until he was sixteen years of age, when his parents
bought land in Miami township, but about thirty-five or
forty years later his father retired from active life and
returned to Cincinnati, where he spent the remainder of
his life. He and his wife are buried in Greenland
Cemetery, the latter having passed away a few years before
his death. The father was a Democrat, but did not care for
public office. He and his wife were devout members of the
Mr. Smith attended the public schools and
took up farming upon leaving school. After attaining his
majority he began farming on his own account, and about
four years later was united in marriage with Miss Mary
Garland, who was born in Wilmington, Ohio, in 1849,
daughter of Rev. B. F. and Maria (Rybolt)
Garland. Four children have blessed this union:
Torston G., Tauszky, Oscar J. and Otta.
Tauszky received a good common school education and
is a merchant at Madisonville. He married Carrie
Gatch, and they have two children, Florence E.
and Mary Elizabeth. Oscar J. married Mrs.
Florence (Batten) Garland, and now owns and
operates his father's farm. He has one son, Carl
Garland. Otta married Dr. Frank Batten,
of Clarksville, Ohio.
Mr. Smith is a Democrat in political
affairs, and since the age of maturity has been active in
public affairs. He has served several times as delegate to
various conventions, has held township offices. In 1900 he
was appointed land appraiser by Auditor John
Davis, but refused to accept the office on account of
poor health. He is now county commissioner, having been
elected in 1909, and re-elected in 1911, and during the
term of his incumbency of this office new pikes have been
constructed, also a large bridge with concrete floor at
Edenton, the first in the county. There is another
concrete bridge at Loveland. He has progressive ideas and
is broad-minded in his application of intelligence and
foresight to the questions which come up in connection
with his office. He realizes that it is the cheapest and
best way for the county to construct its bridges in a
manner that will last a long time, even though the first
cost seems high, and that the safety and welfare of the
citizens of the county are best served by a careful study
of present and future conditions.
Mr. Smith is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church at Pleasant hill, of which he is a
trustee, and was one of the building committee when the
new church edifice was erected. He enjoys to a large
extent the confidence and esteem of his fellows and is
recognized as a man of careful judgment and integrity. He
is fraternally connected with the Knights of Pythias of
Milford. Mrs. Smith died in January, 1908,
at the age of fifty-seven years, sadly mourned by her
family and many friends. She is buried in Greenlawn
Cemetery, at Milford.
CLICK HERE to
CLERMONT COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express
Submitters retain all copyrights