A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
History & Genealogy



Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 669

  ALBERT McADAMS.  In popular usage for a hundred and twenty years in Ohio, the name of McAdams has been associated with the strong and lasting characteristics of the family and held to be an example of Irish origin.  But to one who has studied the story nothing is more certain than that this usage has taken a special incident for a general condition.  Because of political changes, some localities have large influence in determining the origin of families.  In no place where English is spoken is this significance more positive than in the north of Ireland.
     Because of their sympathy with the French in the long struggle for English supremacy, military necessity decreed the extirpation of the Irish from their strategic-advantage in north Ireland.  The desolated land was thus opened for a migration from Scotland devoted to the Presbyterian Faith which insured no amalgamation with the people banished southward.  When those strangers in Ireland began to seek homes in America, they were called Scotch-Irish, which then explained their relations to other emigrants.  After while the sharp lines of that distinction wore away, and not a few deemed themselves Irish, when, except for short residence in the transition, they were pure Scotch.  Few people of equal number have had more influence in shaping America; and along the line of migration few places have been more significant of their struggle than the extreme northeastern county of Ireland, named Antrim, where John McAdams was born, May 9, 1737, and the near-by scenes of the famous siege of Londonderry, where his wife, Ann, was born, in 1750.
     Ephraim, the eldest of the ten children of John and Ann McAdams, was born May 25, 1767.  The other children, with date of birth, were: John, Mar. 28, 1769; James, May 7, 1771; Katharine, Sept. 7, 1773; Hamilton, Sept. 20, 1777; William, Sept. 17, 1779; Armstrong, Feb. 23, 1786; Suter, Sept. 11, 1790; Thomas, Nov. 20, 1793.  How many of these were born in Ireland is not known, but the family came to Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, where Ephraim, on Dec. 17, 1793, married Charity M. Birt, and in 1794 moved to Columbia, Ohio.  He was a tailor by trade.  On Dec. 15, 1796, he bought the first lots sold in Williamsburg, as told on Page 206 of our History; but he did not bring his family here until 1800.  The children of Ephraim and Charity, with date of birth, were: Nancy, Oct. 30, 1794; Samuel, July 6, 1797; Hannah, Feb. 7, 1799; Ephraim, Oct. 13, 1800; Hamilton, Feb. 19, 1802; Julia A., Dec. 2, 1803; John A. and James, Nov. 14, 1805; Catharine, Apr. 11, 1808; Delilah, Feb. 15, 1810.  After that, Charity died.
     Ephraim then married Catharine Hartman, who was born Sept. 27, 1785.  Catharine was one of the eight children of Christopher and Mary Hutchinson Hartman.   Christopher Hartman was born in 1750, in Swintzburg, Hesse Cassel, Germany, whence he was brought in 1753 by his father, Christopher Hartman, Sr., with three older brothers, to Philadelphia.  Christopher, Jr., served in Smallwood’s regiment in the Revolution.  His wife, Mary, to whom he was married in 1776, was born Mar. 24, 1755, in Mercer county, New Jersey.  In September, 1795, they moved to Lexington, Ky., and in November, 1801, to Williamsburg.  In 1802 he settled on five hundred acres in what is Jackson township. where he died, Mar. 16, 1833, and Mary, his wife, Aug. 6, 1839.  Christopher Hartman was granted a pension on May 14, 1833, for service in the Revolution in the New Jersey militia.  The children of Ephraim and Catharine Hartman McAdams, with date of birth, were: Mary Ann, June 8, 1812; Thomas, June 6, 1813; William, Jan. 5, 1815;  Andrew J., Oct. 14, 1816; Isaac Newton, Mar. 14, 1818; Joseph Warren, Aug. 27, 1819.  After that Catharine died, and Ephraim married Martha Boyd, with whom he had Manorah, born July 21, 1821; Harvey, Jan. 24, 1826, and Riley, Mar. 19, 1828.  Of these, eighteen lived to have familis, of which some became numerous and some are extinct.
     The pioneer Ephraim McAdams has frequent mention in the early annals of Clermont.  On May 26. 1801, he was foreman of, the second grand jury of Old Clermont, in the time of the Territory.  On Dec. 28, 1803, he was one of the first grand jury convened by the State.  In June, 1804, he was a member of the next grand jury, of which Col. Robert Higgins was foreman; and, for the May term in 1806, he served on the grand jury of which Gen. William Lytle was foreman.  In reading those old grand jury lists one finds that much care was used in selecting the worthiest for what they deemed an important duty.  In 1808 he and his wife, Charity, were in the little band that organized the Presbyterian church in Williamsburg that met for twenty-two years in the stone courthouse under Rev. R. B. Dobbins.  He took the first three degrees of Masonry in Clermont Social Lodge on Feb. 9 to Mar. 22, 1816; whereupon he was soon asked by the Presbyterian church, of which he was an elder, which would he serve, the church or the lodge?  It could not be both.  On Nov. 1, 1816, the lodge ordered the purchase of material for a coat for Rev. Dobbins, which was accepted, and probably fashioned by McAdams, the tailor, who remained a firm Presbyterian and a zealous Mason to his death, May 11, 1842.  Nine of his name followed him into the same lodge.
     Meanwhile, William, a son of Benjamin and Eleanor Smith, was born, Jan. 3, 1772, and married Lucretia. a daughter of William and Elizabeth Johnson, who was born Dec. 5, 1773.  William and Lucretia Johnson Smith had thirteen children, named and born as follows:  Eleanor, Nov. 28, 1795; Ephraim, Sept. 2, 1797; Elizabeth, Mar. 28, 1799; Delilah, Feb. 2, 1801; Benjamin Thomas, Nov. 12, 1802; Deidaemia, Apr. 2, 1804; Hannah, May 11, 1806; William Taylor, Aug. 17, 1808.  The family moved, in 1809, from Monmouth county, New Jersey, and settled on the Xenia road, about three miles north of Williamsburg, in what is now Jackson township, where the children born were Mahala, Mar. 4, 1810; Johnson, Oct. 4, 1811; Sarah, Dec. 5, 1813; Nancy Clark, Sept. 20, 1817, and Alonzo, Aug. 20, 1819.
     In 1812 John and Anna Lambkins White came from New York and settled near William Smith with a family, of whom several were born in Ohio, to the number of eleven, named, Ansol, Lyman, Anna, Harriet, John, Sarah, Melinda, Amanda, Lucinda, Bartlett C. and Clarissa.  Of these Ephraim Smith and Amanda White were married.  She, Amanda, was born May 9 1803, and lived until Apr. 12, 1881, but Ephraim died May 13, 1854.  Their home is the last farm to the north in Williamsburg township on the Xenia road, and their children, as born and named, were:  Lavanchia, Dec. 23, 1822; Evaline, Aug. 20, 1824; Amariah, Jan. 10, 1826; Bolivar, Jan. 27, 1828; Sarah Ann, Dec. 20, 1830; Bartlett, Nov. 2, 1832; John Harvey, Aug. 5, 1834; Eratus C., Nov. 5, 1836; Mary Ellen, Nov. 23, 1841; and Melvina, Sept. 20, 1845.  All the people so far mentioned in this sketch are dead except Erastus C., who, though severely wounded at the battle of Corinth, Oct. 4, 1862, while a soldier in Company K, of the Twenty-seventh Ohio, is a wealthy farmer in Jewel county, Kansas; and Melvina, who is in Williamsburg as the widow of Francis Hutchinson, a veteran of Company B, of the Fifth Ohio cavalry.  The posterity of these families is literally scattered from ocean to ocean.
     Isaac Newton McAdams, of the Hartman line, was married May 5, 1843, to Lavanchia Smith.  Their children were: Harvey. born Jan. 4, 1847; Albert, born Apr. 4, 1849; Amanda, Sept. 7, 1853, and died Sept. 30, 1853; Riley, Dec. 14, 1854, and Ephraim, Mar. 6, 1858.
     I. N. McAdams was one among the first from Clermont to cross the “Plains” to California in search of gold.  The trip occupied six months with the ox trains, which so cooled his "gold fever” that he soon returned and worked at his trade as a cooper.  On Sept. 30, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, of the Fifty-ninth Ohio, from which he was discharged on Aug. 18, 1862, on a surgeon’s certificate of disability.  After that he went again to the Western gold fields, taking his son.  Harvey, who has remained there.  About 1867 he returned to Williamsburg, where his wife died Dec. 30, 1880, and where he died Sept. 28, 1891, having been an enthusiastic Mason over forty years.
     Albert, second son of I. N. and Lavanchia Smith McAdams, learned the carpenter’s trade, but fortunately, on Nov. 20, 1877, ventured into the carriage trade as a traveling sales man for the once noted Davis, Gould & Co., of Cincinnati, with whom he continued thirteen years, or during the life of their business.  In their employ he went to every important place in the United States, from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and from northern to southern extremes.  That business is still continued on broad lines and with a success that has made him the owner of several fine homes in choice places.  Quite in accordance with his grandfather and father’s teaching, he became a Mason, Apr, 15, 1870, when just twenty-one years and one day old.
     On Aug. 12, 1885, he was married to Mary Gray Jones at Hillsboro, Ohio, where she had been raised and educated.  But she was born in 1852 at Norfolk, Va., where her mother, whose maiden name was Mary Ann Gray, was born, in 1824.  Her father, Loren Jones, was born in New York, in 1818, and died there, in 1905.  Mrs. Mary Ann Jones had two brothers in Norfolk who were each lost at sea with the ships they owned. but she died Aug. 9, 1889, in Williamsburg.  The only child of Albert and Mary Gray McAdams was born Feb. 20, 1894, in Williamsburg, and named Joseph Loren, who is now a student in St. Xavier’s College.  Joseph’s mother died Jan. 15, 1905, in Norwood, where the family had moved five years before.  On Nov. 28, 1906, Albert McAdams married Katherine Friend O’Connor, one of the eight children of John and Margaret Dunn O’Connor, of Portsmouth, Ohio.  They have a pleasant home on Clarion avenue in Cincinnati.  Of the the children of I. N. and Lavanchia McAdams, Ephraim is not married; Riley married Ella McKibben and has Harry and Lavanchia; and Harvey, living in Nevada, has one daughter, Augusta.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 406
  ANDREW MCGREW.  A name that was to be familiar in northern Clermont and about Cincinnati was brought from the city of Baltimore in September, 1806, to the vicinity of Milford by Andrew McGrew.  He had served in the Revolution according to one account, he had married Hannah Rust, and they had a family of seven sons and two daughters.  He also had some means for that time, for he bought a large tract of land, stretching toward Newberry, from the house by Matson's Hill, looking upon what is East Milford, but then was McCormick's, the birthplace of Methodistic faith north of the Ohio.  He had means to keep one of the early stores.  The name soon appeared in the early records.  On May 14, 1807, Philip Gatch, M. G., meaning minister of the gospel, married Jonathan McGrew to Ruth Crawford.  At the term of the common pleas court, beginning Feb. 21, 1809, the first held in the new stone court house in Williamsburg, Andrew McGrew appeared as one of the grand jurors.  Other members of that grand jury were, Capt. Daniel Feagans, the pioneer of the vicinity now called Georgetown; Lieut. Cornelius McCollum, from the John Collins "Jersey Settlement" by the mouth of Clover; Jasper Shotwell, promoted to be an ensign when his captain, Jacob Boerstler, was killed at the battle of Browns town, in the War of 1812; Henry Zumatt, soon to be a colonel in the War of 1812; Houton Clarke, the tavern keeper from Bethel, and the father of Congressman R. W. Clarke: Jacob Ulrey, the mighty hunter from Ulrey’s Run; Isaac Higbee, who came with Rev. John Collins, when he preached the first Methodist sermon in Cincinnati; and Capt. Andrew Harry, from Maryland, who was making hats in Williamsburg.  Several wolf scalps were presented at that term for the bounty money paid.  Authority to solemnize marriage was conferred for the first time on the wonderfully eloquent Rev. George C. Light, for whom his nephew.  Judge George L. Swing, was named.  As a thousand times longer has been required to find than to read the items, we hope that some will appreciate the associations of the pioneer McGrew, who was also a Methodist, and no doubt rode to court over the Round Bottom and Deerfield road with his neighbors and brothers in the church, Judge Philip Gatch and Judge Ambrose Ransom, who sat on the judicial bench at that court.  Two years later, AndrewMegrue,” who had made a good impression, was certified for a commission as a justice of the peace for old Clermont from Miami township, which, though on the side of the big county, was getting her share.  At the June term of the court in 1812, AndrewMegrue” made application to alter the road from Milford passing through Ransom’s, and the road leading from Harner’s Run to Stonelick, near Captain Slone’s.  He was perparing the ways and straightening the paths through the large tract that was to be partitioned among his children.  The children had most of their schooling in Maryland, but a school house on Harner’s Run is mentioned in a
road description in 1809, on the same line that “Megrue” wanted to change in 1812.  The spelling of the name also changed then, and some have never got right since.  Yet, the name does not easily take a French style, and no art can change the fine Scotch-Irish cast of the people who should be proud to keep the Gaelic form.  Jonathan, married in 1807, was one of Andrew’s seven sons,
but William, the eldest, waited longer and then married Rachel, a daughter of Ebenezer Newton, who had come from Cape May to Milford about the same time.  Newton had taught along the Ohio river and then in the South, where he gained strong views of slavery.  He was the author of a work on simplified spelling, that met the usual fate of such effort.
     The third brother among the six sons and one daughter of William and Rachel McGrew, was born on a farm near Mt. Repose, Mar. 3, 1817, and named Andrew after his pioneer grandfather.  Soon after, his father kept a store at Newberry, but later moved to Mill creek valley and farmed on what is now a part of Spring Grove cemetery.  He learned his trade as an apprentice with Cassett, the edge tool maker on Main street.  With fine intelligence and characteristic determination he mastered the machinery and learned the engineering of the establishment.  At one time and another he installed machinery on Sugar plantations, and was an engineer on the river.  In this way he had a large chance to ponder the force of a never forgotten remark heard in boyhood and made to his father, William, by his grandfather, teacher Ebenezer Newton: “Slavery is a National evil and will bring a National curse.   It may not come in my day or your day, but I should not be surprised if these children lived to see it."  Andrew McGrew lived to see it, and was only surprised that it did not come sooner—so heinous was slavery in his sight. 
     He left the river to take the management of John Kugler’s extensive enterprise at "Tippecanoe." which was the facetious name given during and after the “Log Cabin and Hard Cider Campaign" for General Harrison in 1840.  The name was suggested by the local preponderance of such sentiment, before experiment had proved the stability of an earthbed, the Little Miami railway track was a structure of long sleepers and cross ties, and more sills and ties, until a sill held a flat strap of iron that was nailed down, and sometimes curled up at the ends into and through the floor of the cars above with injury to freight and terror to passengers.  And, all the while, the wood work below rotted in wet, or caught fire in dry weather.  In the lack of better ways, millions of feet of the finest oak were required in the square, which John Kugler contracted largely to furnish.  Before the invention of little saw mills that can be taken to the logs.  Kugler built a huge steam saw mill, where Glancy’s Run is crossed by the Deerfield or Lebanon road, a half-mile north of Williams' Corners.  Even the ashes are effaced.  But among the multitude of choppers.
loggers and mill men, with scores of yokes and teams to haul the logs and deliver the timber, when roads had to be made, the young, large, strong, McGrew went as Kugler’s factotum of mechanical and executive detail.  Kugler was the successor of Samuel Perin as the commercial master, each in his turn, of his region and time.  Their endorsement stands as a prime certificate of the ability and worth of their assistants.  The business at Tippecanoe developed the quality of leadership that marked Andrew McGrew for attention and respect wherever he mingled.
     A youthful mind cannot at once grasp the progress spanned  by his activities.  While an apprentice he helped to make the iron work that joined the wooden tubes for the early water works of Cincinnati, and the iron mountains for  the cannon sent by that city to aid the independence of Texas.  But he lived to the end of full sympathy with true improvement.  He lived for awhile at Westboro, and at Columbus, always busy, energetic and useful.
     In 1869 he returned to Milford, and in 1873 bought the fine residence of the late Gen. Thomas Gatch, that is still the family home.  While withdrawn from the excessive activity of youth, he continued a care for the common good.  He helped organize the first building association in Milford.  He was many terms a member of the council.  He was thoroughly interested in education and served twelve years in the board of education, and generally as the president. In that time he was earnest in starting and promoting the Milford High School.  He was a member of the Odd Fellows.  He served almost continuously during his last residence as president of the official board of the Milford Methodist church, and shared in all the activities of that, the oldest of all the Methodist churches north and west of the Ohio river.  He was twice married.  He died Jan. 24, 1899.  The children of Andrew and Sarah Bailey McGrew are Clyde Bailey McGrew, living at Milford, and his three sisters, Mary, Anna and Lilla, living with their mother in the family home at Milford.  The writer of this sketch knowing him well admired the excellence and dignity of his worth and esteemed him one of the truest of friends.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page

Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 367


Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 365


Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 383


Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 474


Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 78


Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 348


Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 88


Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 153


Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 108

  WILLIAM H. MILLER owns one of the most up-to-date farms in Clermont county, which consists of two hundre4d and thirty-two acres of productive land on the Brantam turnpike.  Mr. Miller has employed the most progressive and still practical methods, for the operating of his farm with fine success.  He was among the first in the county to build a silo and his good substantial buildings are indicative of a keen business mind, as well as a justifiable pride in his possessions.  He was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, near Mt. Washington, July 9, 1855, his parents being William L. and Elizabeth (De Bolt) Miller, who were married Jan. 27, 1851.
     William L. Miller was born May2, 1827, and died May 15, 1896.  He was a son of David M. Miller, who was a son of Ichabod Miller.  Ichabod Miller, from Pennsylvania, was a notable surveyor, much employed on the eastern side of Hamilton county, where he located many roads still existing.  He married a daughter of Capt. Aaron Mercer, a relative of Gen. Hugh Mercer, who was killed at the Battle of Princeton.  Captain Mercer came from Virginia, and reached Columbia just as the troops returned from the scenes of General Harmar's defeats.  Captain Mercer and Capt. Ignatius Ross met James Newell going with corn to Covalt's Mill, at Round Bottom, just before the latter was killed by Indians, in September, 1791.  Notwithstanding the great danger of the times, Captain Mercer and Miller in 1792 went three miles up on the eastern side of the Little Miami from Gerard's Station, and there, where fine springs gushed from the gravel bank, they built a palisade or block house, and laid out a town that was called Mercersburg, until changed some eight years later to Newtown.  Another daughter of Captain Mercer married Thomas Brown, Jr., a store keeper, who was a son of Thomas Brown, Sr., who laid out Brownsville, on the site of the historic old Fort Red Stone, on the Monogahela.
     William L. was well educated and taught in the schools of Hamilton county, Ohio, for a number of years.  He was also a surveyor and in 1863 bought two hundred and eighty-five acres of land in Williamsburg township from Gen. David Bone.  Mr. William L. Miller followed farming until within a few years of his death, when he purchased a handsome residence in Williamsburg, but returned to the farm before his death.  He was a Democrat and was for years a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.  He had membership in the Williamsburg Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he gave largely of his means.
     Elizabeth (De Bolt) Miller was born in May, 1831, at Newtown, Ohio, and died Dec. 15, 1902.  She was a daughter of Michael and Martha De Bolt, of near Newtown, where they were successful farmers.  In early life Mrs. Miller joined the Baptist church, of which her mother was a member, but later joined the Methodist church at Williamsburg.
     William H. Miller is the eldest of six children:
     Mrs. Eva Moore, of Williamsburg.
     Frank M., deceased.
     Rev. Idelbert B., of New York State, is in the Methodist ministry.
     Mattie M., deceased.
     Since the age of eight years Clermont county has been the home of William H. Miller, and here he received his education in the common schools.  He chose the occupation of farming, which he has followed continuously, with the exception of six years, when he was engaged in the insurance business. 
     On Dec. 25, 1878, at Afton, Ohio, he married Miss Deborah Lukemire, who was born in Clermont county, her parents, William and Hannah Lukemire, being early resident farmers of this section of the county.  To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Miller has been born one son:
     William L., who was born Nov. 23, 1879, and is now engaged in mining at Cripple Creek, Colo.  He married Irene Burke, of near Bethel, Ohio, and they have two children:  Marie Grace, born Aug. 27, 1904, and George William, born Sept. 20, 1905.
     In politics, Mr. Miller is always a Democrat, and served as infirmary director for some six years.  He was also a member of the county fair board.  In fraternal circles, he is a member of the Knights of Pythias.  His farming interests indicate the diligence and judgment which he was employed in the management of his affairs.  He is well known as a reliable business man, who is public-spirited in citizenship and loyal in friendship.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page


HIRAM U. MOORE, of Batavia, is a descendant of the fifth generation from Andrew Moore, who on Aug. 3, 1723, landed at New Castle, Del., the first of his family to migrate to America.  Andrew was born in June, 1688, in County Antrim, Ireland, the son of James and grandson of John Moore who emigrated from near Glasgow, Scotland, to Ireland, in 1612.
     The father of H. U. Moore, James Canby Moore, was born Apr. 19, 1793, in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and was the son of Dr. James and Ann (Starr) Moore.  Dr. James was the son of Andrew, the original immigrant to America. and Margaret (Miller) Moore.
On Jan. 3, 1820, James Canby Moore was married at St. Clairsville, Ohio, to Lucinda, daughter of John and Nancy (Nuswanger) Hines of that place.  He had removed with his parents to Belmont County, Ohio, of which county he was surveyor twenty-two years.  In 1840 he moved to Clermont county, Ohio, of which county he was surveyor nine years.  He owned one of the finest farms in Clermont and for twenty years he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  He was an active member of the Brotherhood of Free Masons.  After a life of service as an able officer, devoted husband, and kind father, a man highly respected and honored by those who knew him, he died Oct. 4, 1866.
     Lucinda Hines was born Sept. 28, 1800, in Wellsburg, Va., and died at the advanced age of ninety-four years.  She was a woman of rare traits of character and for over thirty years was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Her parents were farmers, residents of Belmont county, Ohio.
     James C. and wife were the parents of twelve children of which H. U. is the only one living.  The names of their children follow:
     Jane Ann died at seventeen, from an accident.
     John, a physician, who practice at Moscow, and died from cholera in 1848, at the age of forty years.
     James E., for years a merchant at Moscow, but later a farmer in Franklin township, who died at the age of eighty-four.
     Dr. A. C., who practiced many years in Clermont county, later going to Wyoming, Hamilton County, where he died at the age of eighty-four years.
     Lysander R., a farmer of Clermont county, died at seventy-four years of age.
     The next three children died from scarlet fever while still quite young.
     Benjamin H., who was a blacksmith in Hamilton county, Ohio, died at the age of sixty from typhoid fever.
     Lucinda C., married Louis Nash, a farmer, who resided near Amelia.  She died at the age of seventy-two years.
     Hiram Ulysses, our subject, aged seventy-four years, a resident of Batavia.
     Dr. Eugene L., who practice at Amelia, Ohio, and died at the age of sixty-five.  His daughter, the late Mrs. Nellie Burrelle, was a brilliant literary woman, being on the staff of the "New York World," later president of the Clipping Bureau of New York, author of the famous Dewey Album.  She died in December, 1911.
     Jane Ann Josephine, married Lafayette Nash, and died at sixty-five years of age.
     Mr. H. U. Moore was born Mar. 22, 1838, at St. Clairsville, Ohio.  When four years of age he, with his parents, removed to Monroe township, Clermont county, Ohio.  When eighteen years of age he started to learn the carriage maker's trade.  After three years he located at Cincinnati, and spent five years as a journeyman.  In 1866 he moved to Batavia and went into partnership with W. B. C. Stirling in carriage manufacturing and the undertaking business.  Later they added fifteen to twenty men.  The partnership existed for thirty-eight years.
     Oct. 5, 1870, our subject was married to Eliza C., daughter of William H. and Nancy (Pompelly) Banister.  She was born Feb. 21, 1849.  Her parents were early pioneers of Clermont County, coming from Maine.  Her father was a fine musician and teacher of music.  Mrs. Moore died Aug. 7, 1911.
     Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Moore:
     Dr. H. Stirling Moore,
a dentist with offices in Batavia, Ohio, was married to Miss Stella Moorman, of Washington Court House, Ohio, and has one son, William S., aged eleven years.
     Nancy L., wife of William E. Smith, district manager agent of the Northern Pacific railroad, who is located at Indianapolis.  They have an infant daughter, Lida Moore.
     Carrie Dorsey
, wife of Fayette C. Dorsey, residing at Louisville, Ky., where Mr. Dorsey is with the Southern National Bank.  Of their three children two sons are still living - Hiram Stirling, aged six years, and Fayette C., aged two. 
     Mr. and Mrs. Moore
were both members of the Presbyterian church.  Politically, he is a Democrat.  For the past twenty-five years he has been a member of the Masonic order, and has filled the various offices of that organization.
     On the 2nd day of February, 1907, Mr. W. R. C. Stirling died, since which time, and up to the date of his death, on Feb. 11, 1913, Mr. H. U. Moore carried on the undertaking business in Batavia, and his establishment was known as one of the very best in Southern Ohio.  Mr. Moore has ministered in times of trouble to practically every hoe in a radius of several miles around Batavia, and was universally beloved by the people.  He has been succeeded in his business by his son, H. Stirling Moore, an experienced undertaker.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 400

Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 240


ource: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 411


ource: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 646

  J. V. MOTT, M. D.

ource: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 681


ource: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 370


ource: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 705


ource: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 636


ource: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 443


Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 309




CLICK HERE to Return to
CLICK HERE to Return to
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights