OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


A Part of Genealogy Express

 
Welcome to
CLERMONT COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES
Source: 
HISTORY OF
CLERMONT AND BROWN COUNTIES, OHIO
VOLUME II
1913

A B C D E F G H I J K L
M N O P Q R S T U V W XYZ

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1913 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

  ARTHUR L. CARNES.  The name which forms the title of this article is well worthy of a place on the pages of these volumes as a representative of a family widely known in connection with the agricultural and industrial interests of Clermont county - a family which in its history exemplifies in the most admirable manner the triumph of excellent business capacity, keen discernment and untiring industry.
     A. L. Carnes is too well known in this vicinity to need introduction to the readers of this work, having been successfully engaged in the insurance business for many years at New Richmond, Ohio.  Mr. Carnes is a native of Clermont county, his birth having occurred in Monroe township, Oct. 18, 1856.  His parents were Lewis and Elizabeth M. (Barkley) Carnes.
     Josiah Carnes,
grandfather of Arthur L. Carnes, of this mention, was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, in the year 1762.  He was bound out in boyhood, his father being a Revolutionary soldier, but as his master was very hard, he determined to seek fortune for himself "way out west," as this part of the country was then called.  Settling in Mason county, Kentucky, the young man met and was united in marriage to Patience Marsh, about the year 1785.  In 1809, Josiah Carnes removed with his family to Clermont county, Ohio, where they purchased  farm of Monroe township.  They were old time Methodists, their home being the first Methodist church of this portion of Clermont county, where pioneers from far and wide came to worship.  Josiah Carnes passed from this life in 1837, at his home farm in Monroe township and his wife followed him to her eternal reward several years later.  This worthy couple reared a large family, all of whom were representative citizens.  Among them were Josiah, who removed to Indiana, where he raised a large family, and passed away at a venerable age; William after a very active business career of years in New Richmond, removed to Olney, Ill., rearing a large family, one of whom, Jesse, who died at Muncie, Ind., was the father of Prof. W. W. Carnes, an eminent elocutionist now living in Chicago - also of Edward K. Carnes, a well known citizen and hotel proprietor of Kansas City.  A sister, Sena, married John Browning, a native of Kentucky, who removed to Monroe township, Clermont county, where he and his wife died, the latter at a very advanced age.  Mr. and Mrs. Browning were the parents of Hon. Charles N. Browning a retired newspaper editor and publisher, formerly of the "Courier," of Batavia, Ohio, and latterly of the "Clinton Republican," of Wilmington, Ohio, where he was associated with the publishing business with his brother, Frank Browning, they have been associated for many years and known as the Browning Brothers,, publishers, first of the "New Richmond Independence," then of the "Clermont Courier," and the "Clinton Republican."  After the death of Frank Browning, Charles N. sold the "Courier," continuing the publication of the "Clinton Republican" until 1910.  He still resides at Wilmington, Ohio, past eighty-two years of age.  Both Browning brothers were valiant soldiers in the Civil war.  Of their three sisters, Minerva died in her young days; Miss Caroline passed away a few years since at Wilmington, Ohio; Derinda is a widow of Dr. Isaac N. Brown, a well known physician and Civil war veteran, who died some years since at Ironton, Ohio, where Mrs. Brown still resides with their only child, John Charles Brown, a well known railroad man.
       Lewis Carnes, son of Josiah and Patience (Marsh) Carnes and father of Mr. Carnes, of this sketch, was born at Washington, Mason county, Kentucky, in the year 1799, and after a life of great usefulness and activity passed from this life in Monroe township, Clermont county, 1884.  He had followed the occupation of farming mainly, but was engaged to some extent in the handling of horses, having led some fine ones to Baltimore for sale.  He also conducted meat markets at New Richmond, Ohio, and at Alexandria, Ky.  Lewis Carnes was twice married, the first union being with Nancy Slater, and to them three children were born, the eldest of whom died in infancy; Patience Ann, became the wife of Isaac D. Williams, residing near Eastern avenue, Cincinnati.  Her birth occurred Dec. 24, 1839, died June 30, 1913, and she was the mother of one child, a son, Frank Williams, a wood working mechanic of much ability.  He is married and has five children.  Elizabeth, who married Leonidas Fisher, died at Knightstown, Ind., leaving one child, Mrs. Nettie Stevens, of Cincinnati.
     The marriage of Lewis Carnes to Miss Elizabeth M. Barkley was blessed with four sons and three daughters:
     Jesse Luther, died Sept. 1, 1868, at the age of sixteen years.
     Charles E., who was born in 1854, died in Monroe township, Clermont county, in 1912.  He was twice married, his first wife being Emma Boys, who was the mother of Fred L., a farmer of Champaign county, Illinois, and married Lottie Stout; Grace, who married twice, first to William Wulf, and to their union was born one son, William Wulf, and second to Frank Emmons, by whom she has one daughter, Martha, also Charles Warren and Allen Donald; Abigail married Rezin Hawkins, Jr., and they have three children, Helen, Arthur and Anna.  The second wife of Charles E. Carnes was Mrs. Anna (Boys) Gravitt, and to them was born one son, Edwin L., who is attending New Richmond High School.
     Arthur L., the subject of this review.
     Sena Almira, wife of Nicholas H. Dixon, of Monroe township, is the mother of one child, James Lewis Dixon.
     Dora Belle, who became the wife of David Shelton, residing near Delaware, Ohio, is the mother of two sons and four daughters: Guynn died in Oklahoma from an accidental gun shot wound at the age of twenty-one years; Carrie Winona, widow of Ernest Ferrand, who has a daughter, May Ernestine; Haldane, Hazel, Geneva and Maebelle, all at home with their parents.
     John Wilson Barkley, a farmer and stockman of Monroe township, is an extensive horseman.  For some fifteen years he was a teacher and is now a member of the township board of education, and also president of the farmers' institute of New Richmond, Ohio.  His wife was Julia Bettle, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Bettle, mentioned elsewhere in these volumes.  Of their four children, Nancy, the youngest, died  in infancy; Mary Marguerite, John, Francis Virgil and Mildred Bettle are at home.
     Miss Emma M. is a resident of Lawrence, Ind., where she is a teacher in the public schools.
     Elizabeth M. (Barkley) Carnes, mother of A. L. Carnes, was born at New Hope, Brown County, Ohio, Dec. 19, 1830, and passed from this life Feb. 1, 1903, at the home in Monroe township.  Her parents were Hugh and Elizabeth (Donham) Barkley.
     Mr. Arthur L. Carnes
spent his boyhood days on the home farm, which was purchased by his grandfather in 1809, and which remained in the family for a period of ninety-three years.  His education began in the "Douglas" district school and was pursued further in the noted Parker's Academy, following which his knowledge was broadened by a course an Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio, from which institution he received a diploma from the normal department.  For twelve years Mr. Carnes devoted his time and energies to the profession of teaching in Clermont county, at the end of which time he engaged as traveling salesman for some three or four years.  Tiring of this line of work, he entered upon the life insurance business, which has occupied his attention to the present time.  During the years of his activity, Mr. Carnes has accumulated a measure of this world's goods, which includes a well improved farm in the Franklin neighborhood, in his native township.
     On September 5, 1894, occurred the great event in the life of Mr. Carnes when he became united in marriage to Miss Florence N. Donaldson, a daughter of William and Arabella (Reakirt) Donaldson, and a granddaughter of Christian and Elizabeth (Paul) Donaldson, whose sketch appears on another page.  Mrs. Carnes acquired her preliminary education in the district schools of Clermont county, after which she attended Parker's Academy.  She then took a course of study at the Lebanon, Ohio, Normal School, and later became a student at Valparaiso, Ind.  Mrs. Carnes taught in the schools of Clermont county for ten or twelve years.
     The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Carnes united two of the most prominent pioneer families of Clermont county, whose histories are closely interwoven with that of the county from the earliest days.
     In politics, Mr. Carnes affiliates with the Republican party, to which he has given his support, since he reached his majority.  Mr. and Mrs. Carnes embrace the belief of the Presbyterian Church, and are active in all worthy affairs of their community.  Mr. Carnes is a progressive, enterprising citizen, lending his aid to many movements for the public good.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 279
  FRANK L. COOK is a member of an old Ohio family and was the cashier of the Milford National Bank, which position he held for eighteen years.  He was born at Lebanon, Ohio, Sept. 18, 1859, and is a son of James and Mary E. (Jameson) Cook, the former a farmer living near Morrow, Ohio.
     The boyhood days of Frank L. Cook were spent on the farm, where he attended the common schools, and at the age of eighteen years he passed the teacher's examination, although he never used his certificate.  He engaged on a farm for nine months at eighteen dollars per month and board, which he considered better remuneration than the salary of a teacher.  At the end of nine months he accepted a position with Mr. John A. Jameson, at South Lebanon, who was the agent and operator for the Pennsylvania Railway Company.  Here he did general work around the station and learned telegraphy in spare time.  He was in this apprenticeship for two years, after which he became night operator at Foster, Ohio, and served in this capacity for eighteen months, when he was promoted to assistant agent and baggage master at Morrow, Ohio.
     On the 22nd of November, 1881, he was married to Miss Emma B. Greely, the ceremony taking place at Morrow.  She was born near Maineville, Ohio, a daughter of Boardman and Elmira (Fouche) Greely.  Two years later Mr. Cook, removed to Milford, where he had been engaged as agent and operator for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company.  He held this position until in 1893, when he resigned to accept a position with the Union Central Life Insurance Company, in the actuary department, at the time when Mr. John Pattison was president.  The following January he accepted the position of cashier of the Milford National Bank and served in that capacity continuously until July 19, 1912, when he became vice-president of the Second National Bank of Cincinnati, after it was reorganized.
     Unto Mr. and Mrs. Cook have been born seven children:
     Lillie D., a graduate of the Milford High School.
     Leonard E., a graduate of the Milford High School and of the Mueller School of Business, of Cincinnati.  He died at the age of twenty-one years.
     Howard B., a graduate of the University of Cincinnati, co-operative class of June, 1912, and is assistant chief engineer of Brownell Company, of Dayton, Ohio.
     Mary, who after graduating from the high school of Milford, was for two years a student of Miami University at Oxford, Ohio, in the fall of 912 entered the Cincinnati Missionary Training School.
     Ruth is taking a course in domestic science at Miami University, Oxford, after graduating at the Milford High School.
     Charles Wesley and Esther are students of the Milford High School, class of 914.
     Mr. Cook cast his first Presidential ballot for James A. Garfield, being a Republican in politics, until recently he became an advocate of the principles of the Progressive party.  Soon after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Cook became members of the Methodist church, of which he has served in the capacity of trustee, treasurer and a teacher in the Sunday school.  He is an enthusiastic worker in the church and is widely and favorably known as a representative of one of the oldest of Ohio families.  His district conference sent him as a delegate to the general conference at Minneapolis in 1912, and both he and his wife are people of genuine worth and have many friends in this part of the State.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 455
  CLAYTON H. CORBIN.  There is perhaps no line of business that demands more close and unremitting effort than does farming, and yet there is none that yields more safe and sure returns than this same occupation if pursued along progressive lines, responding readily to the care and labor bestowed upon it. Mr. Corbin has verified this assertion in the control and improvement of his excellent farm in Monroe township, near Laurel, where he carries on general farming and stock raising. Mr. Corbin is a native of Clermont county, his birth having occurred here, July 17, 1871, he being a son of Nicholas Dow and Elizabeth (Stilman) Corbin.
     Nicholas Corbin was born in Clermont county, April 24, 1824, and died October 16, 1897. Mr. Corbin was a farmer, whose efforts along agricultural lines were crowned with success. He was an uncle of the late Gen. H. C. Corbin. Elizabeth (Stilman) Corbin was born in Cincinnati, in 1828, and passed away in 1902. Both Mr. and Mrs. Gorbin were active members of the Methodist Episcopal church. To this union were born six children, of whom but two are living:
Mrs. Alice Roudebush, is the wife of Mr. Lowell Roudebush.
Mr. C. H. Corbin, the subject of this sketch.
Those who are deceased are: Hannah, Belle, Hosea, and George.
C. H. Corbin received his education in the schools here and at Lebanon, Ohio. His life work has been devoted to general farming, in which occupation he has been very successful. His marriage to Miss Jessie Sapp took place on January 30, 1895. They are the parents of two children:
Ward, who is fifteen years of age, lives at home.
Aldine, died in infancy, in 1907.
In political views, Mr. Corbin is Democratic, and he has served as township trustee at two different times. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and favors the Methodist Episcopal church.
Mrs. Corbin is a daughter of James H. Sapp, whose review follows.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 37
  WILLIAM B. CHRISTIEMr. William B. Christie, retired farmer of Jackson township, Clermont county, Ohio, is an example of that class of men who by earnest and honest industry have achieved success in the battle of life.  By his labors of former years Mr. Christie is enabled to spend the evening of his life in calm and peaceful enjoyment of a well earned rest.  He was born Jan. 16, 1838, on  a portion of the farm which is his present home and is a son of Robert and Rebecca (Gaston) Christie.
     The Christie family is of Scotch origin.  The great-grandfather and great-granduncle of Mr. Christie of this sketch bore the title of Laird of Scotland, and the grandfather, Robert Christie, came to America when seventeen years of age as a British soldier and was a sergeant in Lord Cornwallis's army.  He was an expert weaver and wove two coverlets for Mr. William Lytle, who gave him in return ten acres of land where the present site of Fountain Square, Cincinnati, now is.
     Robert Christie, father of William B., was born on the farm now known as the Charles McKever farm, across the East Fork from Williamsburg, in 1794, and died May 6, 1856.
     Rebecca (Gaston) Christie, mother of William B., was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, near Montgomery, in 1788, and passed away in 1845.  To her union with Robert Christie were born ten children, the seven younger of whom were born on the west end of the farm on which our subject now resides.  Their names are as follows:  Elizabeth, who became the wife of John Kittz, is deceased; Frances and Lydia died unmarried; John Pl died at the age of sixty-five years; Margaret, who became the wife of Nathaniel Behymer, who died while in service of the Civil war, is also deceased; Mary Ann died unmarried; William B., our subject; Rebecca, who was the wife of W. W. Wiley, who lives in Blowville, Ohio, is deceased; Robert and Martha are deceased.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Robert Christie were devout Christian people and were numbered among the substantial citizens of Clermont County.
     William B. Christie attended the Marathon school and assisted his father with the duties of the farm, becoming well versed in all that tends to the making of a good farmer.  His youth and boyhood were uneventful until Sept. 28, 1864, when he enlisted in Company C, Fifteen Ohio volunteer infantry, and was sent to Chattanooga, where he, with others, was put in charge of cattle for Sherman's army at Atlanta.  Exposure to inclement weather in Georgia gave him rheumatism and he was sent back to Chattanooga and after a few days an officer came and asked who wanted to go their commands, and although he could not get up, Mr. Christie said he did, and was the only one who responded.  On November 18 he joined his company at Pulaski, Tenn., and at 3 p.m. on the 23d, started on retreat to Columbia, fifty miles distant, where they arrived at 11 a.m. on November 24, with Hood following.  There they fought a three-days battle before crossed the river, where they fought two days more, after which they retreated to Nashville, having fought the battle of Franklin on the way, being one of the fiercest during the war, where they lost over six thousand in one and one-half hours after 4 p.m.  He was later in the battle of Nashville.  At one time at Nashville a ball singed his hair near the left ear.  Later he was at Huntsville, Ala., then to Greensburg, East Tennessee, then to Nashville, where he was honorably discharged, June 1, 1865.  After his release he remained on the home farm until his marriage to Miss Mary M. Williams, on Aug. 15, 1869, after which he moved to his present farm, which he purchased from the home farm, Jan. 4, 1870.  AT that time he began purchasing the interest of various heirs until he became the owner of sixty-seven acres, and has since added to his worldly possessions a fine farm of thirty-two and one-half acres in Brown county, Ohio.
     Mrs. Christie was born on the East Fork, in 1847, a daughter of W. B. and Thursy Ann (Curry) Williams, the former of whom was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, and the latter of whom was born near Batavia, Ohio.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Williams are deceased.  They were the parents of ten children of whom three sons and one daughter are living:
     Olive, wife of Robert W. Christie, of Marathon.
     Courtland, of Blairsville, Jackson township, Clermont county, Ohio.
     Curry, living near Newtown, Hamilton County, Ohio.
     George, of Williamsburg.
     Mr. Williams had a mill in connection with farming, and was a successful business man.
     Mrs. William B. Christie passed to her eternal reward Nov. 18, 1910, and was laid to rest in the Williamsburg cemetery.  She was the mother of five children, of whom four survived her.
     Thomas C., who was born in 1872, married Miss Grace Gilmore, their home being in Lebanon, Ohio, where he is an attorney.  They have three children, Loraine, Alma and William G.
     William Edward
, who was born in "April, 1874, married Miss Zelphia Innis and they reside with his father on the home farm.  They have one child, Alma Maire, aged four years.
     Clara, who was born in 1876, is the wife of Frank Dimmitt, now of Newtownville, Ohio.  They are the parents of one child, Gladys.
     Olive
died in infancy.  Annetta, who was born in 1881, is the wife of Raymond Weaver, who lives near Lebanon, Ohio, and has two children, Helen, aged five years, and Mildred, aged three years.
    Rev. William B. Christie, uncle to our subject, was of the most prominent of the early Methodist ministers of Clermont county and was most zealous in his work.  He traveled over a considerable of the territory surrounding and often was compelled to swim his horse across the streams to meet his engagements.  His birth occurred Sept. 3, 1803, and a son of Robert Christie.  Christie Church, of Cincinnati, was named in honor of this devout minister.
     Mr. Christie favors the measures and methods of the Democratic party.
     In religious matters both Mr. Christie and his wife, embraced the faith of the Methodist church and in his younger days held many of the church offices, being class leader several years.
     Mr. Christie is a type of the true Scotch gentleman - liberal, broad-minded, and during his active life was one of the most progressive and enterprising men of the county.  He enjoys the high regard of all with whom he is acquainted.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 778
  BENJAMIN E. CURLIS.  Among the successful and enterprising young business men of Clermont county, Ohio, are many who are born and reared on the farm and spent their boyhood days gaining a foundation for a life of activity and energy.  Such a man is Mr. Benjamin E. Curlis, a son of Joseph and Eliza (Watson) Curlis.  He is the owner and proprietor of a profitable saw mill at New Marathon, and is conducting his business in accordance with the progressive ideas of modern times.  His concentration on his business interests has brought to him prosperity and substantial advancement.  He was born in Paloski, Ky., Dec. 15, 1883.
     Joseph Curlis was born near Afton, Ohio, in 1855, and Eliza (Watson) Curlis was born in 1855.  They are resident farmers of Brown county, living near Fayetteville, Ohio.  They became the parents of three children:
     Benjamin E., the subject of this mention;
     Oscar, of Marathon, has a small interest in the mill.
     Nellie is at home.
     Joseph is a son of John Curlis, a veteran of the Civil war.
     The educational privileges of Benjamin E. Curlis were those afforded by the public school system of Brown county.  He remained at home on the farm until 1894, when he was united in marriage to Miss Mollie Morgan, who was born in Brown county, Ohio, in 1883, and is a daughter of Joseph and Margaret (Malott) Morgan, the former of whom was born in Brown county in 1846, and the latter also a native of Brown county, was born in 1867.  They are prosperous farmers of Brown county, and in their family have been seven children:
     Addie, at home.
     Ella, the wife of Mack Hessler, residents of Brown county.
     Mollie, who is Mrs. Curlis.
     Allen
, of Bethel, Ohio.
     Lee, at home.
     Bertha, is also at home.
     After his marriage, Mr. Curlis located on a farm in Brown county, near Fayetteville, and there his early training along agricultural lines assisted him greatly in the management of his farming interests.  He spent seven years on this farm and at the end of this time removed to their beautiful new home on the Milford and Hillsboro Pike, west of Marathon.  This farm consists of one hundred and sixty-eight acres of highly cultivated land and the home is modern in every respect.
     In 1903, Mr. Curlis added to his agricultural interests, those connected with the saw mill business, and now has in his employ from ten to twelve men, and is doing a splendid business.
     Mr. and Mrs. Curlis have had two children to bless their union:
     Joseph Ralph, aged three years.
     Mildred, born Feb. 23, 1912, died June 9, 1912.
     Mr. Curlis is a man of broad outlook, readily recognizing opportunities and bringing to bear the practical in the accomplishment of the ideal.  In business transactions he is the soul of honor and deserves all the praise called forth by the term self-made, for it is by his own efforts that he is enjoying his present prosperity.
     Mr. Curlis exercises his right of franchise in support of men and measures of the Republican party, with which he has affiliated since reaching his majority.
     The home of Mr. and Mrs. Curlis is one of the pleasant, refined homes of the community, and the members of the household enjoy an enviable position in social circles.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 807
NOTES:

 


 

CLICK HERE to Return to
CLERMONT COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights