A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
History & Genealogy





CHARLES ADAMS.  Mr. Charles Adams is the proprietor of the Milford bakery, which was established in 1864 by the late Charles Adams, Sr.  The plant is fully equipped with modern machinery, and has local routes established, in addition to which they ships extensively to points on the Swing and Kroger traction lines.
     The birth of Mr. Charles Adams occurred at Indianapolis, Ind., June 28, 1857.  He is a son of Charles and Frances (Ehret) Adams¸ the former of whom was born at Strasburg, Province of Alsace, France, where he learned the baker’s trade, and came to America in 1852.  He was engaged in the bakery business at Brookville, Ind., until 1864, when he established the business in Milford, Ohio.  His death took place of 1907, and until five years before his demise he was active in the business.  He married Miss Frances Ehret in 1856, in Cincinnati.  She was born at Bruchsal, Province of Braden, Germany, in 1836, and came with her parents to America in 1850, settling at Zanesville, Ohio, remaining there for a period following which they removed to Cincinnati.  She was a devoted member of the Episcopal church and her death occurred in 1885, in her forty-ninth year.  They were the parents of six children: 
  Charles Jr., our subject.
  Louis, is in the government employ at Denver, Colo.
  Theresa, deceased
  Francis, deceased
  Frank, is a dentist of Cincinnati.
  Emma, became Mrs. Frank Hollington, and lives in San Francisco.
     From the age of seven years, Mr. Adams has been a resident of Milford, where he enjoyed the educational privileges of the public school and practically grew up in the bakery shop of his father, learning the business thoroughly, and continued in the bakery business after his father retired.
     Mr. Adams spent eight and one-half years at Columbus, Ohio, where he was foreman of the bakery at the State hospital at that place, returning in 1904, and resumed business at Milford.
     Mr. Adams has been twice married, the first time to Miss Belle Euyart, of Milford, who died in 1888, leaving one son, Robert, who was born in 1880, in now a draftsman by profession, residing at St. Louis, Mo.
     The second marriage took place in 1889, to Miss Eva Magee, a daughter of the late Robert Magee, of Owensville, Clermont county, where Mrs. Adams was born.  The mother is still a resident of Owensville.  This union has been blessed with two sons:
     Charles Magee, who was born in 1893, is attending the State University at Columbus, Ohio, preparing for journalism and is in the second year.  Owing to an accident for journalism and is in the second year.  Owing to an accident in his early childhood, he lost his eyesight, but is exceptionally bright and great things are expected of him when his education is completed.
     William Ehret is attending the Milford High School, in the second year.
     Mr. Adams gives his political allegiance to the Republican party, and considers it the duty of every citizen to take an active part in political affairs, and has served on the county board of elections and is always well informed on the political issues and questions of the day.  He is a member of the board issues and questions of the day.  He is a member of the board of public affairs at Milford.  In social circles, Mr. Adams holds membership in the Laurel Lodge, No. 417, Knights of Pythias, of which organization he has been active for the past twenty-three years, helping to organize the lodge of which he is a member.
     The religious faith of Mr. Adams and his family is manifested by their membership in the Presbyterian church of Milford.  In business transactions he is the soul of honor, and has a broad humanitarian spirit which reaches out to all his fellowmen.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 282

  WILLIAM B. ADAMS (Deceased.)  In the death of the late William B. Adams Clermont county lost a valuable citizen.  He was well known as a business man and belonged to one of the best families of the region.  He won a high reputation for upright living and public spirit, and was known to be a model son, a kind husband and a loving father to his own children.  Mr. Adams was born in Cynthiana, Ky., on May 9, 1865, son of Robert S. and Mary Antoinette (Batson) AdamsRobert S. Adams was born at Millersburg, Ky., May 23, 1823, and the mother at Colemansville, Ky., Oct. 27, 1828, and both died in Clermont county, Ohio, he May 29, 1828, and both died in Clermont county, Ohio, he May 29, 1900, and she Oct. 27, 1909.  Both are buried in the cemetery at Felicity.  He carried on farming in Kentucky and after coming of Ohio continued that occupation.  He and his father owned slaves in Kentucky, but later, Robert S. Adams, who was a great temperance worker, moved to Ohio, where he and his wife became well known as active members of the Christian church.  The Adams family was an old one in Kentucky, and prominent in the early history of that region.  Robert S. Adams and wife had but one child, William B.
     William B. Adams
was reared in a Christian family and early learned the most important lessons of life.  He was surrounded by good influences in his home, which showed their effect in his after life.  He was educated in Millersburg and Lexington, Ky.  He began the study of law, but his eyes failed and he later turned his attention to bookkeeping, graduating from a business course in a Lexington school.  He was first employed in the office of Costall & Price, who had an extensive business, and later went to work for Watkins & Company, who conducted a large shoe business in Lexington, the same company that became Watkins & Spencer Company.  Mr. Adams became a traveling salesman for Smith & Nixon, with whom he remained for some time, and at the time of his death had been with John Church & Company (piano dealers), of Cincinnati, for some years.  He was a salesman of extraordinary ability and made a good record wherever his interests were centered.  He was a valued employee of every firm with which he was identified and was greatly missed by them.  He was a Democrat in politics and for years was a member of the United Commercial Travelers.  After the death of his father he moved to Felicity, so his wife would look after his mother.  He passed away in March, 1909, mourned by the entire community.
     On Oct. 15, 1889, Mr. Adams was united in marriage with Miss Beulah Virginia Smith, who was born in Lexington, Ky., Mar. 22, 1869, daughter of I. Y. and Ruth Antoinette (Adams) Smith.  Mr. Smith was born in Lexington in 1844, and died in August, 1911, and Mrs. Smith was born at Bethany, W. Va., in 1846, and died in Mar., 1912.  They are buried in the family burying ground at Lexington, Ky.  He was for many years a prominent shoe merchant in Lexington, and later spent many years in coal business there.  He served as city councilman and trustee of Hamilton College and Kentucky University.  Being a man of education and superior gifts, he filled well every position of trust with which he was identified, and was highly respected and esteemed by all who knew him.  The Smiths were members of the Christian church, and active in public measures for the good of their community.
     Mr. and Mrs. Smith had six children:  Eugene Adams Smith, M. D., of Cleveland, Ohio, a graduate of Bellevue College, of New York City, was for two years chief physician of Harlem Hospital, and later appointed by Governor Brown at Lakeview Anchorage; Mrs. William B. Adams was a graduate of Hamilton College of Lexington, Ky., where she had the advantage of a fine musical training, one of her teachers being Prof. DeRhode, one of the best masters in the country; Bessie Belle, at home; Frank Preston held a position in a freight depot in Lexington, later held a position in Indiana of the same kind, and now is chief clerk in a freight depot in Chicago, Ill.; Clarence died at the age of two years; Earl Russell, a traveling salesman, makes his home at Kansas City, Mo.; Miss Bessie was a bookkeeper for sixteen years, and during that time was in the employ of but two firms.
     Mrs. Smith was a Virginian and her father, Richard Adams, had three brothers.  They came from England and were distantly related to John Quincy Adams.  Her great-grandfather, her mother's grandfather, was Richard (Kant) McCamment, of English or Irish extraction.  Of the Adams brothers, one settled in Ohio, one in Pennsylvania, and one, as already mentioned (Richard), in West Virginia.
     Mr. and Mrs. Adams had four children, all born in Lexington, Ky.: Robert Smith Adams, born in 1890, a graduate of the high school at Felicity, Ohio, is head bookkeeper for the American Tobacco Company at Lexington; William Harold, born July 27, 1891, died Nov. 12, 1909, and is buried beside his father; Ruth Marie, born Dec. 9, 1894, is a graduate of the high school at Felicity, and of the Midway College, of Midway, Ky.; Virginia Belle, born in 1898, attends Felicity High School.  Mrs. Adams his given her children excellent education and has carefully reared them to honorable and useful manhood and womanhood.
     Mrs. Adams is a music teacher of high standing and is believed to be the ablest member of the profession in Clermont county.  She has some thirty pupils in Felicity, and teaches in other villages in that part of the county.  She is a woman of culture and refinement, and is well liked for her pleasant manner.  She owns a farm of seventy-five acres near Felicity.  which she rents.  She has shown excellent judgment and intelligence in managing her affairs.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page  200
  DR. W. H. AIKEN, engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery at Felicity, Ohio, is well known throughout the counties of Clermont and Brown, as an able and efficient physician and surgeon, who by hears of experience has won the esteem and confidence of his fellow citizens.
     Dr. Aiken was born in Madeira, Hamilton county, Ohio, Nov. 7, 1855, and is a son of Thomas J. and Jemima Anna (Tingley) Aiken.  Indian Hill, Madeira, Hamilton county, Ohio, was the birthplace of the parents of Dr. Aiken, the birth of the father occurring Apr. 10, 1828, and the birth of the mother took place in 1833.  A farmer by occupation, Thomas J. Aiken followed that pursuit practically all of his life, and in Hamilton county.  His death took place in 1908, his wife having passed away in 1898.  In their family were six children, five of whom are living:
     Frank R. and a farmer in Clinton county, Ohio, and died in 1908.
     Dr. W. H., the subject of this mention.
     Elizabeth, who married Joshua Batterton, an engineer on the Baltimore & Ohio road, residing at West Loveland, Hamilton county, Ohio.
     George C., a resident of Glendale.
     T. E. resides on Indian Hill and is an employee of the Adams Express Company, at Cincinnati.
     Clarence M., a druggist of Cincinnati, Ohio, resides at Medeira.
     Dr. Aiken spent his boyhood days under the parental roof, and had good school advantages, which enabled him to fit himself for his chosen profession.  He attended the public schools of Madeira and in Clinton county, Ohio, and having determined upon the practice of medicine as a life work, entered the Pulte Medical College of Cincinnati, graduating from that institution in the class of 1884.
     Apr. 7, 1884, Dr. Aiken began the practice of medicine at Felicity, Ohio, and has continued in this profession from that time to the present.  He enjoys a large patronage, which claims his close attention.  From 1894 to 1900, Dr. Aiken was associated with Dr. Witham and Dr. Ashburn on the board of pension examiners.
     In 1888, Dr. Aiken was united in marriage to Miss Anna H. Hodson, who was born in Westborough, Clinton county, Ohio, Apr. 23, 1862, her parents being Simeon and Mary L. (Cunningham) Hodson, the father being born at Waverly, Ross county, Ohio, Sept. 1, 1830, and died Sept. 28, 1908.  He was a farmer and also engaged in the commission business at the union stock yards, Cincinnati.  The mother was born Aug. 10, 1829, at Monroe, Ohio, and died Dec. 16, 1904, and both are buried at Westborough, Ohio.  They were the parents of six children, four of whom lived to reach maturity.
     Florence H. is the wife of Dr. J. M. Austin, of Springfield, Ohio.
     Dr. Charles H., of San Diego, Cal.
     Etta, who became the wife of Williamson Botts, of Wilmington, Ohio, died Apr. 28,1911, and is buried at Westborough, Ohio.
     Ana, who is Mrs. Aiken.
     Dr. and Mr. Aiken have had one son to bless their union: Hurdes H., who was born Aug. 20, 1891, is at home.
     Mrs. Aiken is a member of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, and Dr. Aiken is a member of the orders of Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and has passed all the chairs of both of the organizations.
     In politics, Dr. Aiken favors the measures of the Democratic party and his popularity is evidenced by his nomination to the office of county auditor, to which eh was elected by a large majority in November, 1912.
     In religious matters, Dr. Aiken is of the Swedenborgian faith, while Mrs. Aiken was reared by her parents in the faith of the Society of Friends.
     The life of Dr. Aiken has been a busy one, yet he has found time for many charitable deeds.  His kindly spirit, genial disposition and honorable principles, have greatly endeared him to those with whom he has been associated.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 700
  G. C. ANDERSON.  Among the men of Clermont county, Ohio, who have wrested a competence of agricultural pursuits is Mr. G. C. Anderson, who at the time of his marriage had practically no capital with which to establish a home of his own, but by diligence and persistence of both himself and his faithful wife has been successful far beyond the average.  He at one time owned and operated a tract of some two hundred and seventy-six acres, still retaining one hundred and seven acres, part of which is in Hamilton county, Ohio, and the remainder in Clermont county besides his fine remodeled home at Bantam, which he purchased in 1911.
     Mr. Anderson was born on the Lee Hichs farm near Bantam, Clermont county, Ohio, Aug. 3, 1873, son of George Washington and Lydia Ann (Brown) Anderson.  The father was born July 5, 1845, at Bethel and is living retired near Bantam.  G. W. Anderson is a veteran of the Civil war, having enlisted at Bethel, May 2, 1864, as a private in Company C, One Hundred and Fiftieth regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry, and was honorably discharged at Camp Dennison, Ohio, Sept. 10, 1864; re-enlisted Jan. 19, 1865, at Bethel, Ohio, in the One Hundred and Eighty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, serving until discharged at Edgefield, Tenn., Sept. 20, 1865.  A brother of his, Benton Anderson, enlisted at Bethel, Ohio, in the Fifth Ohio volunteer cavalry and later re-enlisted in the One Hundred and Fifty-third Ohio volunteer infantry.  The Anderson family is one of the old ones of Clermont county and are originally of Irish descent.  G. W. Anderson, the father of our subject, followed farming since the close of the war, until his retirement from active life.  He was married Sept. 8, 1866, to Lydia Ann Brown, who was born near Bethel, Ohio, Mar. 8, 1846, and passed from this life July 10, 1897, her death caused by lightning.  Her burial took place at the Odd Fellows' cemetery at Amelia.  A brother of Mrs. Anderson, John Brown, served in the One Hundred and Fifty-third regiments Ohio volunteer infantry, and another brother, William Brown, served in the Fifty-ninth regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry.  The latter died while at home on a furlough.  G. W. Anderson and his wife were formerly Baptists, but he is now a member of the Methodist church.  Six children were born to them:
     William, residing in Montana, has served in the regular army.
     Harry B. died Aug. 21, 1891, at the age of twenty years.
     G. C., the subject of thsi sketch.
     Carrie, now Mrs. William Armstrong, of Norwood, Ohio.
     Pearl W., the wife of Frank Kymell, of Zanesville, Ohio
     John Lee who has served four years in the navy, being now on board the United States steamer Nebraska.
     Mr. G. C. Anderson was educated at the Amelia High School, remaining on his father's farm until he was twenty-one years of age, when he entered upon his business career as a farmer and rented land for himself.
     On Oct. 27, 1897, occurred the marriage of Mr. Anderson to Miss Deliah E. Byfield, who was born at Madison, Ind., Jan. 2, 1875, a daughter of Vincent Delos and Rebecca Turner (Johnson) Byfield, the former of whom was born at Akron, Ohio, Oct. 28, 1839, and died Nov. 1, 1911, at the Soldiers' Home at Marion, Ind.  The latter was born in Harrison, Ohio, Nov. 18, 1841, and passed away June 13, 1893, being buried beside her husband in Crown Hill cemetery, Indianapolis.  Mr. Byfield learned his trade of iron molder at Madison, Ind., but removed to Indianapolis, the home for many yeas.  He enlisted Aug. 19, 1862, serving three years.  He enlisted Aug. 19, 1862, serving three years in Company C, Sixty-seventh regiment Ohio volunteer infantry.  He was a Republican and held membership with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.  In religious belief he embraced that of the Methodist church.  Mrs. Byfield was a devoted member of the Baptis church.  To them were born two sons and four daughters:
     Charles Howard, an architect of Indianapolis, Ind.
     Mrs. Anderson, the wife of our subject.
     Virgil died at the age of one year.
     Helen Matilda, the wife of Henry Birdwell, of Indianapolis.
     Hattie Bernie, of Indianapolis
     Florence Johnson, of Indianapolis
     Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have had four children born to  bless their union, all of whom are natives of Clermont county.
     Harry Virgil was born Mar. 19, 1899.
     Leona Pearl, whose  birth occurred Oct. 28, 1901.
     Grace Elizabeth was born Sept. 9, 1904, on the Paul Moore farm.
An Infant son, who was born Apr. 3, 1911, on the Paul Moore farm.
When Mr. and Mrs. Anderson began housekeeping it was in a four-room log cabin in Amelia, where they remained for two years, and later Mr. Anderson operated the Paul Moore farm at Horse Shoe Bend, Elk Lick, the most noted farm of two hundred and seventy-six acres on a branch of the east fork of the Little Miami river, in Clermont county.  This farm was owned at one time by Judge George G. Bambach and R. E. Head, an is at present owned by R. E. Head.  Mr. Anderson went in debt one thousand dollars when he went on the Paul Moore farm, for implements necessary for the operating of such a large tract of land and his success dated from that time.  He spent five years here and at the end of that time he removed to Bantam, where he purchased forty acres adjoining that village.  For one year Mr. Anderson remained on this farm and has since made his home in Bantam, Ohio.
     Mr. Anderson has always given his support of the Republican party and was elected as one of the first members of the board of education in Batavia township and served as clerk of the board of education for four years, resigning because of his removal from the township.
     Fraternally, Mr. Anderson is an active member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
     In religious matters both Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are consistent members of the Amelia Baptist church, being active in all affairs of that denomination.
Of late Mr. Anderson has been interested in the real estate business, in which he has met with a large measure of success.  He is recognized as a man of ability and is an example of the sturdy business man and upright citizen and to such Clermont county owes its prestige. Mr. Anderson has sold out his home and real estate interests at Bantam, Ohio, and has purchased the Colonel Martin farm, known as the "Tally Hoo Stock Farm," near Bethel, Ohio, consisting of 187 acres, which constitute one of the best farms between Bethel and Williamsburg.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 691
  A. B. APPLEGATE.  Among the oldest citizens of Milford, Ohio, Mr. A. B. Applegate is numbered, having for many years been identified with the agricultural, professional and public life of Clermont county.  He is the present mayor of the thriving town of Milford, having been elected in 1911, and his term has been one of progression.
     Mr. Applegate was born on a farm near Goshen, Clermont county, Ohio, Aug. 10, 1842, his parents being John and Anna (Emery) Applegate, who were successful farmers of the county for many years.  His maternal grandfather was Judge John Emery.
     The boyhood of Mr. Applegate was spent on the farm, attending the schools of the district, later becoming a student of the Lebanon, Ohio, Normal School, and, in 1861, engaged in the profession of teaching.  After two months he thought himself a failure and gave up his position and, in September, 1864, enlisted in Company E, Seventy-first regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry, being sent at once to the front.  He was under fire at Nashville, Tenn., and remained in the service until June, 1865.
     The following fall, after his return from the war, Mr. Applegate attended spelling school in the same district in which he had taught and was asked to pronounce the words, which he did with so pleasing a manner that the directors of the school asked him to teach the school for the winter term.  Remembering his former unsuccessful venture in this line of work, he refused.  However, his refusal would not be accepted, and even though he had no certificate, he was urged to take the position, which he finally did.  In stead of using Professor Holbrook's methods he used a little army discipline, with such success that he was engaged to teach the school for five consecutive years.
     In the year of 1872, on the 8th of May, Mr. Applegate married Miss Ameila Boutell, of Charleston, Goshen township, where she was born and reared, having been a former pupil in his school.  She was a daughter of Capt. George and Marietta (Brooks) Boutell.
     Marietta was born in 1873, her sweet life ending in 1876.
     A. B., Jr., was born at Belfast, Clermont county, June 7, 1878, was graduated from the Milford High School, after which he taught school four years.  He crossed the ocean six times as an employee of the United States Government, on a mail steamer.  He was also employed as clerk in the postoffice at Cincinnati for one year, later becoming a clerk in the postoffice at Cincinnati for one year, later becoming a clerk for the Adams Express Company, which position he holds at the present time.  He married Mrs. Pearl Jones, and they have no children.
     Florence, who was born at Millford, was married to Jacob Brauer, their home being at Covington, Ky.  She has two children, Florence and J. Barton.
     George W. was born at Milford and is a graduate, of the high school of that place.  He has been bookkeeper and cashier of the Mutual Banking Company, of Cincinnati, for the past eight years.  He married Miss Valerie Trauth and they have one child, George  Barton.
     Anna Amelia was born in Milford and took a business course in Cincinnati, Mar. 9, 1913, was married to Robert H. Drews, of Iowa City, Iowa, on her mother's sixtieth anniversary.
     Mr. Applegate has always been a Democrat, though not an extreme partisan.  He served as constable and justice of the peace, and although he has tried many cases, and some were appealed, none was ever reversed.  From 1885 to 1889 he was postmaster at Milford and for six years was township clerk, also being the township treasurer for four years.  Being interested also in educational matters he was a member of the school board for six years and also served as treasurer of the board for five years.  Mr. Applegate was secretary of the Milford Building & Loan Association for eight years.  He was elected to the council at different times and during his term began the paving of the streets.
     Mr. Applegate is a member of the S. R. S. West Post, Grand Army of the Republic, and has been commander and adjutant, being privileged to the State encampment in 1911, held at Lorain, and was alternate to the National encampment, held at Los Angeles, Cal., in 1912, and aid to Commander Blodget in 1913.
     For the past thirty-four years Mr. Applegate has been active in the interests of Milford, and his influence has been one of progression, and his many good traits of heart have endeared him to all with whom he has come in contact, and at seventy-one years of age is hole and hearty.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 446
  WILLIAM B. APPLEGATE, who has been successfully engaged in the mercantile business at Branch Hill, Clermont county, for the past twenty-eight years, was born in Goshen township on a farm, Sept. 4, 1840, his parents being John and Annie (Emery) Applegate.
The founders of the Applegate family in America were Thomas and Elizabeth, who settled in Massachusetts about 1635, coming with the Puritans from England through Holland, Mr. William B. Applegate being the eighth generation in this country.
     The first of the family to come to Clermont county was Elijah, who located in the Harvey Irwin neighborhood about 1817.  His father, Andrew, was a soldier in the War of the Revolution, there being over thirty members of the Applegate family in that war from New Jersey.  Elijah was born in South Amboy, N.J., and was one of early Methodists.  He died on his farm in Goshen township.
     John Applegate was born in Goshen township in 1817, and was one of seven children.
     Perrine, Thomas, John, Elijah, Lydia, Sarah Ellen, Nancy Elizabeth, of those but two, Sarah Ellen and Elijah, of Rushville, Ind., are living.  John Followed the occupation of farming all of his life and was a man of much influence in the community and in public life.  He was township trustee and was a member of the agricultural fair board.  In politics he was a staunch Democrat.
     Annie (Emery) Applegate was born on a farm near Loveland, and is a daughter of Judge John and Deborah Emery, who were among the earliest families of Miami township.  She died at an advanced age in 1893, and in religious belief was a Universalist.
     William B. Applegate is the eldest of five children:
     A. B., of Milford, is mentioned elsewhere in this work.
     Mrs. P. C. Hill, of Westwood, Hamilton county, Ohio.
     John A., of Springfield, Ohio.
     Perrine K., a farmer living two miles east of Miamiville, Ohio.
     William B. Applegate was reared and educated in Clermont county and remained at home until he was twenty-seven years of age.  After completing the common schools Mr. Applegate attended the Commercial College of Cincinnati, but during the Civil war was captain of militia endeavoring to capture Morgan, the raider.
     In 1867, Mr. Applegate became deputy clerk of the court of common pleas, and later served as clerk for a short term, and for five years following he served as school examiner.  He then resigned and for some years taught, altogether twenty-four years.
     He was united in marriage to Miss Olive Silcott, at Batavia, where she was born and reared, her parents being John W. and Eliza (Davis) Silcott.  In the family of Mr. and Mrs. Applegate are three children.:
     John Walter, a dispatcher of Linwood, Ohio, married Clara Rowan, and has three children, Percy, Harold and Irma.
     Lillian R.
, is the wife of Harry E. Stewart, of Woodfield, Monroe county, Ohio, and is the mother of two children, Richard N. and Harry, Jr.
, died at the age of three years.
     Mr. Applegate is a Democrat, although he is independent.  He has served as county coroner and as clerk of three different townships, Monroe, Goshen and Miami.  For over twenty years he has held membership with the order of Odd Fellows.  Mr. and Mrs. Applegate are devout members of the Methodist church.  They have the warm personal regard of all with whom they are associated.  Mr. Applegate is classed with the representative business men of the county and his record shows honesty, integrity and enterprise.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 300


George F. Armacost,
Amelia, Ohio

GEORGE F. ARMACOSTMr. George F. Armacost, one of the prominent retired farmers of Clermont county, Ohio, is a representative of one of the oldest pioneer families of the county, and has been a resident of Amelia since 1905.  His birth took place a mile and one-half about Point Pleasant, on Big Indian creek, June 20, 1838, and is a son of Isaac and Eliza (Miller) Armacost, the latter of whom was born near Felicity, Ohio, in 1813, and died in 1906.
     Isaac Armacost was born one mile of Pekin, Clermont county, in 1805, and after an active and useful life as a farmer and stock raiser, passed away in 1898 at Laurel, where for six years he had lived retired from active life.  In his family were ten children, six of whom are living:
     George F. Armacost, of Amelia, Ohio
     Frank, a resident of Point Pleasant, Ohio.
     Thomas, of Laurel, Ohio.
     Jennie, the wife of Frank Fisher, of Laurel, Ohio.
     Lena, who is the wife of Jack Morton, lives above Boat Run, Ohio.
     Louisa, is the wife of George Cook, of New Richmond, Ohio.
     The pioneering spirit led Christopher Armacost, the father of Isaac, to leave his home in Pennsylvania to seek a new home in Ohio, long before the beginning of the Nineteenth century.  He was one of the very earliest settlers in this section and located near Pekin, Clermont county, where he purchased land which he cleared and developed.  In those early days all the stock had to be closely housed to protect them from the wolves, which were very numerous in that section.
     Mr. George F. Armacost obtained his education in the school at Point Pleasant, and was reared to farm labor, gaining proficiency in the work of the fields as the years passed by.  He remained at the parental home until 1866, with the exception of the time spent in the service of his country during the Civil war.
     At the call of his country for volunteers, Mr. Armacost responded, enlisting May 5, 1864, in the One Hundred Day Service, from Ohio, and when it was found a longer service was needed, Mr. Armacost remained in the army for six months.  He participated only in skirmishes along the Potomac.  Two brothers, John and Allen, were in the service, the former for four years and four months, enlisting from Ohio, in the Fifth Ohio volunteer cavalry.  They are both deceased.
     The marriage of Mr. Armacost to Miss Sarah Banam was celebrated in 1860.  Mrs. Armacost was born in Laurel, Ohio, and per parents were William and Sarah (Corbin) Banam, both of whom were born near Laurel and have been deceased for many years.  Of the children born to them, one daughter, Sophia, Mrs. Hewitt, of Bethel, Ohio, is the only one now living.
     The union of George F. and Sarah (Banam) Armacost was blessed with two children; the younger died in infancy.
     Arthur Clayton, who was born in 1861, died in 1901, and is buried at Laurel, Ohio.  He married Anna Weidmeyer, who is also deceased.  They were the parents of five children: Mary E., George H. and Emma reside at Cincinnati; Arthur lives  with his grandfather at Amelia; Elizabeth lives with an uncle near Laurel.
     Mrs. Armacost passed to her eternal reward in 1865.  She was a devout member of the Methodist church and was a lady of beautiful character, her disposition was cheerful and helpful, and in church work she was an able and most earnest Christian.  Many friends in the county mourned her death.
     In 1872, Mr. Armacost was united in marriage to Mrs. Martha (Ironton) Dawson, who was born near Laurel, and was a daughter of Abner and Martha (Marsh) Ironton, both of whom were members of pioneer families who settled near Laurel, which was their birthplace.
     Soon after his second marriage, Mr. Armacost purchased a farm near Laurel, where he carried on general farming along practical lines until 1905, when he removed to the beautiful home at Amelia, on the Ohio pike, which he has greatly improved.
     In 1910, Mr. Armacost was again called upon to part from his companion in life, when Mrs. Armacost was called to her last rest.  Her breadth of character, deep sympathy and strong intellectuality made her a power for good in her home locality, and she did much to mold the thoughts, influence and opinions of those around her.  Commanding respect and confidence at the same time she won the deep love of those who came within the circle of her friendship.  She was a devoted member of the Methodist church from her young girlhood and her entire life was in harmony with her profession of faith. 
     Politically, Mr. Armacost is in favor of the principles of the Republican party, although early in life he voted the Democratic ticket.  He has served his party in the capacity of trustee of Monroe township and in other local offices.
     Mr. Armacost is a Christian by faith and practice and has led an honorable life in harmony with his profession.  He has for sixty years been a member of the Methodist church and given his services to the people of the people as trustee and class leader, as well as his support in a financial way.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 304
  PHILIP G. ARMSTRONGMr. Philip G. Armstrong was a notable representative of an old Clermont county family, and in his business life as general contractor and builder made an excellent reputation for activity, enterprise and reliability.  He was a son of Jacob and Anna (Collins) Armstrong, and was in Miami township, Clermont county, Ohio, Jan. 27, 1843, and died Mar. 17, 1913, at his home near Milford.
     Jacob Armstrong was born in Miami township, 1806, and was a son of John Armstrong and wife, nee Schley, who came to Clermont county early in the Nineteen century, from Virginia, locating some three and one-half miles east of Milford.  In politics, Mr. Armstrong was a Whig and later a Democrat, although not active.  His death occurred Dec. 5, 1875, at his fine home farm.
     Anna (Collins) Armstrong was a native of New Hampshire, and at the age of seven years, came with her parents, John and Elizabeth Collins, to Clermont county, where they located on a farm in Miami township.  John Collins was a prominent Methodist and was a friend of the Rev. Philip Gatch.  His death took place at his home and his wife spent her declining years in Clinton county, Ohio.  Anna (Collins) Armstrong passed from this life in Clermont county, Jan. 5, 1876, aged about sixty years.
     Philip G. Armstrong was one of nine children, of whom three are living:
     Mrs. Hill who is the wife of the Rev. Hezekiah Hill, of Stonelick township.
     Miss Anna, residing on the old farm.
     Benjamin, a plasterer by occupation, resides on Woodburn avenue, Cincinnati.
     Reared and educated under the parental roof, Philip G. Armstrong took up the carpenter's trade at Cincinnati, at the age of twenty years, and in his business erected many fine residences in Milford, Madisonville and elsewhere.
     Mr. P. G. Armstrong chose for his life's companion, Miss Elvira Stuart, who was born at Perintown, Clermont county, a daughter of William and Mary (James) Stuart, in early families of the county, the James family coming to this section from Pennsylvania.
     In religious views, Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong believe in the faith of the Baptist church, of which she is an active member.  He was active in church work for many years.  Mr. Armstrong was an independent Republican.
     During the active years of Mr. Armstrong's life he accumulated several nice properties in Milford and Cincinnati, and was counted among the substantial men of Clermont county, where he was held in high esteem.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 238
  MR. WILLIAM A. AULTMAN was born in Bethel and received his education in that village.  He enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Fifty-third Ohio volunteer infantry, for six months and later re-enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Eight-fourth Ohio for one year.  Among the more important battles in which he participated were those of Cumberland Md., North Branch, Md., and Hammock's Mills, Va.  He also took part in numerous minor battles and skirmishes.  At the close of the war he returned to Bethel and for several years worked on a farm for Samuel Headley, and then began studying law with N. S. Stevens at Pt. Isabel.
     In 1867 Mr. Aultman was united in marriage with Miss Sarah C. Helse, who was born in Bethel in 1849, daughter William and Margaret Halse.  They had four children: George W., Sarah C., Thomas L. and M. Anna Halse.
     After his marriage, Mr. Altman carried on farming at Bethel and lived there until Nov. 13, 1883, the date of his removal to Mt. Orab.  He then formed a partnership with H. H. Jones, which continued three yeas, attending to Pension business.  In 1886 Mr. Aultman was elected justice of the peace on the Democratic ticket and by successive re-elections served four terms, or twelve years.  He has since been notary public.  His office is located in the Odd Fellows building, over the postoffice, on High street, and he has a very good practice.  He purchased and repaired a good house on Broad street, and there the family entertain their friends.  He is a genial friend and neighbor and to every good cause that is calculated to advance the general prosperity.  He is very fond of reading and is a broad and liberal minded thinker.  He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic an has held all the offices in the local post.  He belongs to the Junior Mechanics, and he and his wife belongs to the junior Mechanics, and he and his wife belong to the Church of Christ, of which he is a trustee.
     Six children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Aultman, all born in Bethel, namely:  Elizabeth L. married D. A. Curlis, of Mt. Orab, and they have three children Mary Alma, Walter W. and William Sherman; Margaret L. married R. L. Patton, of Bridgeport, Ill. and they have four children, Irene Lee, Anna and Wilbur; William Halse, born in 1876, of Cincinnati, married Miss Kate Faulkner and she is deceased; Leona, widow of A. R. Broomhall, of Mt. Orab, has two sons, Frank A. and Ralph A.;  Anna married William E. Bingaman and they live in Mt. Orab; Sarah Catherine, wife of Frank L. Walker, of Paris, Ky., has one daughter, Anna Halse.  Margaret, Mrs. Patton, graduated from the Bethel High School and taught school in Clermont county for several years.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 542
  DR. HARRY FOREST ANSCHUTZDr. H. F. Anshutz, deceased, was known throughout Clermont county as an able professional man of experience, ripened by years of practice in his profession, and the result of this experience was ample proof of the esteem and confidence in which he was held in the community.  Dr. Anshutz was a resident of Loveland for twenty-seven years and was one of the leading dentists in the county.  He was born at Montgomery, Ohio, Aug. 25, 1855, and his demise occurred Mar. 15, 1911.  The parents of Dr. Anshutz were Dr. A. D. and Nancy E. (Applegate) Anshutz.
After receiving the preliminary education of the public schools Henry F. Anshutz attended the Ohio College of Dental Surgery, graduating Feb. 28, 1882, and the following year located at Loveland, where he practiced dentistry until his decease.
     The marriage of Dr. Anshutz to Miss Mary A. (Roberts) Hanna occurred Dec. 22, 1897, in Miami township, Clermont county, Ohio.  Her birth took place at Clarksville, Tenn.  She is a daughter of Adolph and Martha (Waller) Roberts.  The former died when she was small and her mother moved to Cincinnati.  Her studies were pursued in the schools of Cincinnati and at home with a private tutor.  At the age of fifteen years she was married to Elliston Hanna, who was in business at Remington, where they resided until the death of Mr. Hanna, Nov. 19, 1895.
     In politics, Dr. Anshutz was an advocate of the principles of the Republican party and was serving as a member of the city council at the time of his death.  He was fire chief of Loveland for six years.  In fraternal circles he was widely known, having membership in the order of the Free and Accepted Masons, of the Knights of Pythias and of the Modern Woodmen of America.  In religious matters he evidenced his faith by membership in the Presbyterian church, in the work of which he always took an active part.  He possessed strong mentality, marked individuality and force of character, and became widely known.  He was a gentleman of unquestioned honor and warm impulses, fearless in defending every cause he believed to be right.
     Mrs. Anshutz owned considerable property left her by her first husband, and after her marriage to Dr. Anshutz they purchased property, which they remodeled, making the Broadway Hotel.  The present residence of Mrs. Anshutz was purchased and improved by Dr. Anshutz for her, and she also has a beautiful home consisting of twenty-one acres on Loveland Heights.  Mrs. Anshutz is known as the best business woman in Loveland and looks after her property and business herself.  She has much ability and what she has accomplished in life by her moral and upright life cannot be measured in words.
     Mrs. Anshutz has one of the finest collections of curios in the State of Ohio, which was left to her by her husband, and the State of Oiho, which was left to her by her husband, and it is always a pleasure for her to show them to those interested in these things.  She is the author of two beautiful little poems to the memory of her late husband.  We regret that we cannot reproduce them.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 628



CLICK HERE to Return to
CLICK HERE to Return to
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights