OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

 

BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF CLERMONT & BROWN COUNTIES, OHIO
By Byron Williams
1913
 

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1913 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
 

WILLIAM C. SAVAGEMr. William C. Savage is the owner of one hundred acres of good land in Perry township, Brown county, Ohio, and is conducting a general farming and stock raising business in accordance with the progressive ideas of modern times, and since October, 1912, has engaged in the insurance business with the Hartford Company.  He is meeting with success in all his undertakings, and his honest dealings have won for him an enviable reputation.  He was born in Perry township, Brown county, Mar. 19, 1869, a son of George and Sarah Ann (Kain) Savage.
     George Savage
was born in 1800, and was a native of county Dublin, Ireland.  He came to America as a young man, first stopping in New York for some years, and finally settling in Brown county, where he purchased a timbered farm in Perry township, which he cleared and made his home until his death, in 1888.  He married after coming to Brown county, and became the father of thirteen children.  Although he had but, a limited education, not being able to write his own name, he was very successful business man.  He was a Democrat in politics and a member of St. Martin Catholic church, the wood for the burning of the brick of which this church was built, Mr. Savage furnish free.
     Sarah Ann (Kain) Savage was reared in Brown county, Ohio, being left an orphan, with a brother, Charles, and they were put out with different families, she was "Old Pap Savage."  She was married on the place in front of the convent, and remembered the first church that was built there and the first priest that said mass.  Charles was reared in Montgomery county, Ohio, where he died, about 1901.  Mrs. Savage passed from his life in her ninetieth year, she also being a devout member of the Catholic church.
     Of the thirteen children born to the union of George and Sarah Ann (Kain) Savage, eight are living, and all of these with the exception of two, living at Blanchester, Ohio, and one at Marathon, Ohio, are residents of Brown county.
     Mr. William C. Savage was reared and has lived near his birthplace all his life thus far.  He attended the public schools and also the church school and spent two years at the Fayetteville High School.  He has given most of his attention to the occupation of farming, making all the improvements and putting his home farm in a fine condition.
     In 1884, Mr. William C. Savage first married Miss Elodie Tissandier, a native of Brown county, Ohio, and her death in 1898 left five children, who are as follows:  Laura Isabelle (Colliar); George Alexander, at home; Irene (Clark); Mary Pauline, at home, and Clarence William.
     Mr. Savage
married for his second wife, Miss Rose McGranaham, who was born in Perry township, a daughter of James and Margaret (Campbell) McGranaham, the former of whom died March, 1909, and the latter of whom is living at the old home, they being early settlers of Brown county.  To this union one daughter, Marie Gertrude, has been born.
     In politics Mr. Savage is a staunch Democrat, and is now serving for the fourth year as assessor, having been assistant assessor for four years prior to that.
     In religious belief, Mr. Savage and the family are members of St. Martin Catholic church.
     Mr. Savage has always been engaged in the business of farming but has had other interests as well.  He was engaged for a period of four years in trading and dealing in stock and farm equipments.  He spent five years in Highland county, Ohio, where he was engaged in farming and trading, and spent one year in Green township, Brown county.  Twenty years ago, he purchased the present home farm, and has made practically all of the improvements.
     The success which has made Mr. Savage one of the prominent farmers of this section has been entirely from his own persevering efforts and energy.  He is well and favorably known.
Source:  History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio - Volume II By Byron Williams - 1913 - Page 537
S. B. SHELDON, M. D., one of the prominent physicians and surgeons of Brown county, Ohio, and one who has reached this position through manly endeavors and a most strenuous life, is a citizen in which Brown county takes great pride.  Dr. Sheldon has practiced his profession at Five-Mile, Sterling township, Brown county, for the past forty-four years, and by his skill, attention and fidelity, he has endeared himself to all with whom he has been associated.  The birth of Dr. Sheldon took place at Bantam, Clermont county, and his natal day is Dec. 16, 1842.  He is a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Bradbury) Sheldon.
     Thomas Sheldon
was a native of New Jersey, his birth having occurred Aug. 11, 1807, and his death on the 31st of March, 1884.  He came west when about the age of seventeen years, locating at Cincinnati for a time, and later removed to Bantam, Clermont county, Ohio, where he read law.  He was admitted to the bar and practiced his profession in the county court; was one of the three judges of the county court for some two terms.  Mr. Sheldon was a minister of the Christian church for many years and held the office of clerk of the Southern Ohio Christian Conference for over thirty years, the oldest clerk in the State at this time.  He removed to Brown county, in 1853, and purchased a farm in Sterling township, his home until his deceased.  He was a Whig and an old-line Republican in politics and held the various offices in the township, including justice of the peace.  He was a son of Thomas and Mary (Burr) Sheldon, who came from New Jersey to Darke county, Ohio, where Thomas Sheldon, Sr., conducted a grist and saw mill at Eaton, Ohio, until their passing.  The Sheldon family is of English descent, three brothers of the name coming together to America from England.  The Sheldons in America are all related and all had large families.
     Elizabeth (Bradbury) Sheldon was from New England, coming to Clermont county, Ohio, with her parents, Samuel Bradbury and wife, the former of whom was probably a farmer, and died in the 1830's.  Elizabeth Bradbury was born in 1811 and died in November, 1866.  She was the mother of six children, of whom one sister of our subject is living -Mrs. Anna Connor, wife of Taylor Connor, of near Crosstown, Sterling township.  Those deceased are: Mary, married David McMullen; Caroline married Absalom Scott; Elizabeth, married Rev. C. W. Garoutte, of the Christian church; and Lydia, married Alfred Connor.
     Dr. Sheldon
received the education afforded by the schools of the country and at Amelia, Clermont county, Ohio.  He was but nineteen years of age when he enlisted in Company G, Forty-eighth regiment, Ohio volunteer, at Camp Dennison, in defense of his country.  He served first in Gen. W. T. Serman's division for about one year, and after the battle of Corinth was transferred to the Thirteenth corps, under Gen. McClernand.  Dr. Sheldon participated in many engagements, among which were Shiloh, through advance movements, and the siege of Corinth, in front of Vicksburg, up the Yazoo river, Arkansas Post (or Fort Hindman), at Port Gibson, at Champion Hills, Black River Bridge, at Crossing of Black River, and all through the siege of Vicksburg, including the assault of May 22, 1863.  After the fall of Vicksburg, he went to Jackson, where he participated all through the campaign.  Later he was transferred to the Gulf Department and went to Texas and thence to Louisiana, where he was placed on detached service and sent to Columbus.  His regiment was taken prisoners at Shreveport, but he was not with them, as he had remained at Columbus, and was discharged, Jan. 17, 1865, never having been seriously injured.
     At the close of the war Dr. Sheldon returned to his home, and, in 1866, took up the study of medicine with Dr. A. F. Deniston, of Westborough, Ohio.  In March, 1869, he graduated at Miami Medical College, of Cincinnati, and at once began the practice of his profession at his present home, and has continued to the present time.  During his entire life thus far he has enjoyed the very best of health.
     Dr. Sheldon was united in marriage to Mrs. Ruth A. Hockett, who was born in Cincinnati, and is a sister of Dr. A. E. Deniston and a daughter of James S. and Elizabeth (Dilley) Deniston, who were from New Jersey.  James S. Deniston was a prominent business man of Cincinnati for many years and was also a resident of Clinton county, Ohio, for some time, his death occurring at Columbus in 1864.  Mrs. Sheldon's brother, Dr. A. F. Deniston, past eighty years of age, is still practicing his profession at Westboro, Ohio.  They two are the only ones of the family now living.
     Dr. Sheldon erected the substantial home many years ago and the farm is located on the Marathon and Buford pike.  He has a step-daughter, Hattie M., whose husband, Harry L. Apgear, is a clerk in a store at Mr. Orab and owns two farms in Sterling township.
     The political views of Dr. Sheldon are in accord with those of the Republican party and he has filled the various local offices.
     The fraternal affiliations of Dr. Sheldon are with the Masonic order, at Williamsburg, and he is a member of the Clermont Social Lodge No. 29, Free and Accepted Masons.  He is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Mt. Orab, and of Lynchburg Encampment.  He has been pension examiner for twenty years.
     Mr. and Mrs. Sheldon are members of the Five-Mile Christian Church and are active in all worthy affairs of that denomination.
     Dr. Sheldon is a prominent member of the Brown County, the Ohio State, and the American Medical societies.  An enthusiast in his profession and one whose ability is recognized generally in this section, Dr. Sheldon is also a good citizen and takes an active interest in all that promotes the welfare of Brown county.
* Source:  History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio - Volume II - By Byron Williams - 1913 ~ Page 520
Sterling Twp. -
JUDGE THOMAS SHELDON, farmer, P. O. Five Mile, son of Thomas and Mary (Burr) Sheldon, was born Aug. 11, 1807, in the State of New Jersey, of English and Welsh descent, and came with his parents to Ohio, in 1818.  He was married in 1831 to Elizabeth, daughter of Samuel Bradbury, a native of Clermont County, of English descent; her parents came to Ohio about 1800.  They had born to them six children - Mary S., still single; Caroline, wife of A. Scott, of Green Township; Elizabeth, wife of Edler C. W. Garoutte of Dayton; Lydia B., wife of Alfred Conner, of Perry Township; Anna H. of Tayler Conner, of Sterling Township; and Dr. S. B. Sheldon.  Judge Sheldon settled in Tate Township, Clermont County, Ohio, in 1833, and served as Justice of the Peace eleven years, when he was appointed Associate Justice on the Common Pleas bench of Clermont County, and served seven years.  He was Trustee of Tate Township.  He removed to Brown County in 1853, and has been Trustee of Sterling Township, and Justice of the Peace six years, also a Notary Public over forty years.  His business ability and sterling honesty have kept him in business all his life, but he always operated a nicely kept farm.  He is a member of the Christian Church, licensed to preach in 1840 and Clerk of the General Conference thirty-one years.  He lost his first wife and married Mary, daughter of Thomas Fitzwater, and widow of J. J. Thompson, July 4, 1874.  Few men can look back on a more busy or well-spent life than Judge Sheldon, who is venerated and respected by all.
Source:  History of Brown County, Ohio - Publ. 1883 - Page 300
Green Twp. -
  F. M. SMITH, Mt. Oreb.  A little less than a century ago, where we now live in the enjoyment of churches, schools, railroads, telegraphs, daily mails, manufactories, National banks, and in fact nearly everything which tends to make up civilization, and to give to life enjoyment, lived another peculiar people, known as the red men of the forest.  Here he pitched his wigwam beside the flowing stream, and the young Indian warrior wooed and won his dusky mate.  Here the wild beast roamed at will, and was seldom molested in his forest home among the hills and along the valleys.  Contentment reigned supreme, and the Indian was monarch of all he surveyed.  But at an unguarded hour the civilizer crossed the beautiful Ohio, pitched his tent upon its shore, and proceeded to take possession of the fertile spot now known as Brown County; and with the oft repeated blows from the pioneer's ax the giant trees fell as doth the grass before the scythe.  With strong arms and brave hearts, homes were established in the face of the savage and to the dismay of the wild beast, and now as we look upon the broad meadows covered with green verdure and golden fields of grain, and enjoy our pleasant homes, our hearts swell with gratitude to our fathers who braved the storms and disappointments of a then new and unbroken country, and established for us a free government.  Among the early settlers of Brown County were Benjamin and Rachel Smith, who were both born in Maryland of Scotch and English parentage.  From Maryland they emigrated to Kentucky, where they lived several yeas; in 1804, they came to Brown County, Ohio, and settled where Georgetown at present is built.  They cast their lot with others who preceded them, and made a purchase of a considerable tract of land.  They had nine children whose names were respectively James, Nancy, Benjamin, Rachel, Mary, Benton, Rebecca, Nicholas and Elizabeth.  However, the father did not live long to enjoy his home; for, soon after the close of the war of 1812, he died, leaving his family in comfortable circumstances.  The children proceeded to add to what was left them by their father, and gradually increased their possessions of this world's goods.  But that spirit which characterized their father was inherited by the children, and they began to think of pitching their tents toward the setting sun; so they continued to travel Westward until several of the families are represented in California.  However, one Nicholas, the youngest son and father of the subject of this sketch, remained in this county.  He was born in September, 1801, and when twenty-four years old, married Mrs. Sally Richards, a widow with two sons - John and William.  They enjoyed the blessings of wedded life for more than half a century, when death called him away to the bright land above from whence no traveller returneth.  He was the father of ten children, of whom four are now living - Alexander, resides in Illinois; James G., Rebecca J. and Francis M., our subject, who still lives near the old homestead.  Richard fell, defending the flag of the Union in the late rebellion, at the battle of Pittsburg Landing, in April, 1862.  About 1830, Nicholas Smith moved to what is now known as Green Township, and began to establish for himself a home in the forest.  He participated in the organization of the first Methodist Episcopal Church in the township, of which he was a member, also a member of the first Sunday school, and is said to have been the second Whig voter in Green Township.  He had served as Justice of the Peace, and was respected and honored by all who knew him.  His wife, Sally, was born in Maryland Apr. 13, 1800, and is of English descent.  With her parents, Richard and Rebecca Spires, she came to Ohio in 1812.  She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church when first organized in Brown County.  She is still living and enjoying good health at the ripe old age of eighty-two years.  Their son, Francis M., subject of this sketch, the youngest child and seventh son of the family, was born in Brown County July 10, 1844, at the old homestead, two miles north of Mt. Oreb.  He received a good common school education, and when twenty yeas old began teaching school, which he followed for perhaps three years.  When twenty-four years old, he went on a Western tour, visited a brother in Illinois and returned home in March, 1868.  On Feb. 16, 1870, he married Miss Sarah E. Rice, daughter of Benjamin and Eliza Rice, now of Clermont County, Ohio.  At an early day, July 3, 1871, death entered his home, robbed him of the companion of his youth, and his home became broken up.   On Oct. 28, 1871, he formed with Joseph Clare, Esq., of Bethel, Ohio, a partnership in the mercantile business at Mt. Oreb, and continued therein six years, a portion of the time they having the only store in town.  In April, 1875, our subject was again married; this time to Mrs. Mary E. Cochran, widow of the late John G. Cochran, son of Joseph Cochran, President of the First National Bank at Georgetown, Ohio.  She was the mother of two children - Ella and Peggie.  Soon after his marriage, Mr. Smith quite the mercantile business and retired to his farm north of and adjoining Mt. Oreb, where he now resides.  He became identified with the Cincinnati & Eastern Railway Company, in the infancy also one of the incorporators of the Columbus & Ohio River Railway Company, and was elected one of its Directors at the first election held by the company, and now holds the office of Secretary.  He has been repeated elected and re-elected to office in Green Township, notwithstanding his being a Republican and the township largely Democratic.  He has also been connected with nearly every public enterprise which would prove beneficial to the township in which he resides.  Mr. Smith has for nearly nineteen years been identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church; has held nearly every office in the church, and has repeatedly been elected lay delegate to the Annual Conference.  He is now in the ninth year of his superintendency of the Methodist Episcopal Sunday school at Mt. Oreb, which is in a flourishing condition.  He has on child living - Sallie V., born June 14, 1876.  As a leading and respected citizen of Brown County, there are none who are more worthy of representation in this work.
Source:  History of Brown County, Ohio - Publ. 1883 - Page 269
Clark Twp. -
S. B. SMITH, minister, Hamersville.  Samuel Bernard Smith, a son of William and Elizabeth (Hoover) Smith, was born in Bath County, Va., Mar. 24, 1820, both natives of Virginia.  Grandfather Hoover was a native of Germany; served six years and nine months in the Revolutionary war, and died in 1844 at the advanced age of 107 years.  The subject of this sketch, while young, had the advantage of only a meager common school education, and came to Ohio in 1841 and engaged in the ministry two years later, and which he was engaged for thirty-six years, serving two years as Presiding Elder of the M. P. Conference.  Mr. Smith was one of the mild, quiet, persuasive preachers, and never inclined to be stormy, but the high estimation in which he was held is attested by the honor conferred by being twice Presiding Elder.  He was retired to the superannuated list in 1879.  Mr. Smith was married, in 1846, to Ellen Jane, widow of Samuel Davis, and daughter of Robert and Margaret (White) Kennedy (see Clark Township history).  They have five children - Samuel K. (married and living at Piketon, Ohio, and Principal of Schools), Ella Bell (widow of Elsberry Young, killed by the falling of the C., G. & P. R. R. Bridge across the Little Miami July 24, 1877), Emma (wife of Thomas M. Lucas), Charles Garwood, Jessie Estella.  Grandfather William Smith, of English descent, was a soldier in Gen. Marion's army, and lived to be one hundred and four years old.  Mr. Smith is an honored member of Fayette Lodge, No. 107, F. & A. M.  Was initiated in West Union Lodge No. 43, I. O. O. F., and is now a P. G. of De Soto Lodge, No. 374, and officiating Chaplain.  Mr. Smith is an honest, quiet citizen, who only needs to be known to be esteemed.
Source:  History of Brown County, Ohio - Publ. 1883 - Page 192
Huntington Twp. -
O. B. SPEARS, tobacconist, Aberdeen.  In the year 1879, Mr. Spears located in Aberdeen and engaged in the tobacco trade, and has since dealt largely in the article.  During the tree years he has been engaged, he has purchased on an average about 125,000 pounds per annum.  For five years previous to his coming to Aberdeen, he was engaged in the same business, handling in the meantime large quantities.  He was born in Brown County, Ohio, in 1849, and is a son of Spencer Spears, whose sketch appears in the history of Union Township.  The boyhood of our subject was spent on the farm till he attained his majority, at which time he began handling tobacco.  He is a member of the Gretna Green Lodge, No. 99, K. P., to which he has become connected some years, and is an honored and worthy member.
Source:  History of Brown County, Ohio - Publ. 1883 - Page 176
Franklin Twp. -
PHILIP STEPHAN, P. O. Ash Ridge, a prominent farmer of Franklin Township, was born in France Oct. 12, 1836.  His father, John J. Stephan, was also a native of France, and a farmer by occupation.  He came to America about 1837, locating on the farm now occupied by our subject, where he resided till his death, in March, 1880.  He married Sarah Bohl, a native of France, who ore him three children.  Mrs. Stephan is still living, enjoying good health, and resides at Cailisle, in her eighty-second year.  Philip is the only child living of the three born to his parents.  He grew to manhood on the farm, receiving a fair common school education.  When twenty-four years of age, he rented Peter Devore's farm in Pleasant Township, where he resided five years.  He then purchased 113 acres of his father's farm, where he has since resided.  He subsequently bought eighty-four acres in Jackson Township0, and sixty-four acres of woodland in Franklin Township, both farms adjoining his first purchase.  Mr. Stephan is a prominent Democrat of the township; in 1876, was elected Trustee, and has since occupied that position.  He is connected by membership with the Protestant Evangelical Lutheran Church of Arnheim, in which body he has acceptably filled many positions.  He was married in November, 1857, to Catherine Arn, a native of this county.  They have had three children - Jacob J., Philip F. and Catherine M.  Mrs. Stephan and the children are also members of the Lutheran Church.
Source:  History of Brown County, Ohio - Publ. 1883 - Page 211
Pleasant Twp. -
ADAM STEPHEN, Georgetown, one of the most prominent grocers of the village, was born in the kingdom of Bavaria June 12, 1829.  His father died when our subject was quite young.  His mother was Mary (Baker) Stephen.  She was the mother of two children - our subject, and a sister Sarah (now the wife of Jacob Kancher, of Cleveland, Ohio.  Mr. Stephen accompanied his mother and sister to America in 1830.  The three located on a farm in Franklin Township, near Arnheim, this county, where Mrs. Stephen died in 1850.  Mr. Stephen was reared on a farm and when fifteen years of age went to Dover, Ky., where he remained some time.  In 1847, he worked on a farm in Mason County, Ky., for $6 per month, and soon after volunteered to go to the Mexican war, but the company was full and his services were not needed.  In 1849, he removed to Georgetown, where he resided till 1853.  He had learned the cooper's trade, and in the latter year went to Quincy, Ill., where he worked at his trade six months.  He then went to Aurora and Peoria, in the same State, and thence to Georgetown, where he has since resided.  He worked at his trade for eighteen years altogether, and then engaged in the saloon and boarding house business, which he followed for five years.  In 1872, he engaged in the grocery business, and has succeeded in building up a large and profitable trade.  Mr. Stephen owns a very nice two story brick residence on North Main street, the "old George Shields farm," of 187 acres; the "Old Thomas L. Hamer and Devore property," the "old Hamer homestead" of eight acres, and many village lots.  Mr. Stephen has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1856, and is a charter member of Confidence Lodge No. 307, I. O. O. F., of Georgetown.  Mr. Stephen was united in marriage, in 1865, to Elizabeth Reohn, a native of Wurtemberg.  She died in 1863.  Mr. Stephen was again married, in 1865, to Sarah Clump, a native of Wurtemberg also.  Seven children have been given them, living - Frank, Elizabeth, Albert G., King William, Charlie and HattieMr. Stephen and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.  Mr. S. is also connected with the K. of P. Lodge.
Source:  History of Brown County, Ohio - Publ. 1883 - Page 41
Green Twp. -
JOSEPH STEPHENS, farmer, P. O. Five Mile.  John B. Stephens, father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Belgium, where he married Theresa Fasty, by whom he had two children - Joseph and Rosalie.  In March, 1847, he emigrated to America, came to Brown County, Ohio, and settled in the northern portion of Green Township, where our subject now resides.  He settled in the woods, but with undaunted courage and the energy which characterized the pioneer of his day, he began to clear off his land, and to-day it is in a high state of cultivation.  He died Sept. 2, 1864; his wife survived him until 1878.  Joseph Stephens, subject of this sketch, was born Jan. 23, 1835, in Belgium, and, when about twelve years old, with his parents, he came to America.  In January, 1857, he married Jennie C. Baune, daughter of Jacob J. and Catherine Baune, and by her has had eight children - Mary, Frank, Philip, Mary J., John, Rosa, Jennie and Theresa.  Mr. Stephens has served as Justice of the Peace for Green Township nine years, and on all occasions gave his decision in favor of justice with unswerving firmness.  HE is the owner of ninety-five acres of land, and is recognized as one of the leading agriculturists of Green Township.
Source:  History of Brown County, Ohio - Publ. 1883 - Page 270
Huntington Twp. -
F. M. STEPHENSON, farmer, P. O. Ripley, was born in Union Township in the year 1843, and is a son of Mills and Eleanor (Flaugher) Stephenson, old settlers, whose sketches appear in this book.  She is a daughter of David Flaugher, of whom mention is made in this work.  The early life of our subject was passed in this and Union Townships, and he received a common school education.  He was married, Dec. 16, 1875, to Sarah E., the daughter of Hon. E. M. Fitch, an old settler, of whom mention is made in this work.  After his marriage, he lived two years at Logan's Gap, where he was engaged in handling and pressing tobacco, after which he removed to his farm, but still continued to handle tobacco.  He owns 165 acres of well improved land, which has been accumulated by him since living on the farm.  He still continues in the tobacco business, began to 1873.  He has been Trustee of this Township two terms, and is a member of Ripley Lodge, No. 71, F. and A. M., and Chapter No. 82.  He has the following children:  Portia, Clay, Black, Marian, Oliver, and Eleanor West.
Source:  History of Brown County, Ohio - Publ. 1883 - Page 176
Union Twp. -
LEMUEL STEPHENSON, farmer, P. O. Ripley, fourth son of Robert P. and Mary Stephenson, was born on his father's farm, near Ripley, Mar. 18, 1832.  He was reared on a farm and educated in the schools of Delaware, Ohio.  He taught school one term, then engaged in the grocery business in Ripley with Ephraim Stephenson, and pursued it one year, then returned to his farm and followed agriculture and horticulture up to 1874, when he turned his attention to the dairy business, his present avocation.  He was married, Feb. 21, 1856, to Miss Sarah E. Devore, daughter of Nicholas and Hestoria Devore Mrs. S. was born in the county and died Feb. 23, 1858, leaving one child - George W., now deceased.  Mr. S. again married Dec. 22, 1860.  This time to Miss Emily Wilson, daughter of Jacob T. Wilson a native of Huntington Township, where she was born Feb. 9, 1838.  Four children were the fruits of this union, of these three are living - Mary M. born Nov. 13, 1861, wife of W. T. VanceAmasa, born Oct. 12, 1865; and Anna L., born Aug. 21, 1869; Wady (deceased), born Aug. 27, 1863, and died Aug. 1, 1864.  Mr. Stephenson and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Politically, he is an advocate of Democracy.  During the late war, he was Captain of Company B, of the Brown County Militia.
Source:  History of Brown County, Ohio - Publ. 1883 - Page 87
Union Twp. -
ROBERT P. STEPHENSON, Ripley, was born in Union Township, June 21, 1801.  His father, Col. Mills Stephenson, was born in Delaware, and came to Mason County, Ky., in 1792, and in 1794 crossed to the Ohio side and located near Ripley.  He bought a farm of 100 acres and settled on it.  He served in the Indian war, and through the war of 1812 as Colonel.  He built Fort Stephenson in Ohio, and by the order of the Governor it was given his name.  As a man, Col. Stephenson was prominent in his day, and as a citizen he labored in the good of the people and in the interest of the county.  His death occurred June 16, 1822.  Mrs. Stephenson, his wife formerly Miss Jane Kilpatrick, was a daughter of Frank Kilpatrick, who was a native of Ireland.  He came to America, and in 1791 came down the Ohio River in a flat boat with his two daughters - Isabell and Jane, aged ten and twelve years respectively.  When just above Maysville, then known as Limestone, Ky., the Indians endeavored to decoy them ashore, but failing in the attempt they fired two balls into him, one entering his head and the other his heart, killing him instantly.  His daughters came on to Limestone, where they saw their father buried.  They were taken by a Richard Applegate of Mason County, and reared to womanhood.  Isabell married James Stephenson and Jane married Col. Mills Stephenson.  The latter died June 30, 1815.  Robert P., the subject of this sketch, was reared to manhood on his father's farm, and received his educational training in the common schools.  He aided his father in clearing up a farm and in effecting many improvements.  Sept. 23, 1819, he was married to Mary Wallace, a daughter of Thomas and Catherine Wallace, who were natives of Ireland and Pennsylvania.  They came to Mason County, Ky., in 1791, and lived on the "Old Washington trace" till 1815, when they came to Brown County.  Mrs. Stephenson was born n Mason County, Ky., June 9, 1801.  Eleven children were the fruits of this marriage, seven of  whom are living - Thomas, Lemuel, Young, Mary A. (wife of Abner Howard), Robert A., Catherine J. (wife of Edward Martin), and William R.; Mills, Elizabeth, Ephraim and Jane are deceased.  In 1835, Mr. Stephenson located on his present farm, which he cleared up and improved himself with the aid of his children.  He assisted in many of the prominent public improvements of the township and county.  He now owns a farm of 128 acres of well-improved land.  He was one of the earliest and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  In politics, he is a supporter of the doctrines and principles of Democracy.
Source:  History of Brown County, Ohio - Publ. 1883 - Page 86
Union Twp. -
THOMAS STEPHENSON, farmer, P. O. Ripley, son of Robert P. and Mary Stephenson, was born on the old Stephenson homestead, near Ripley, July 2, 1826.  He was reared on his father's farm and received his training in the common schools of his native place.  His marriage occurred Sept. 12, 1850, with Miss Elmira J. Wiles, born in Union Township Aug. 29, 1829, and a daughter of Joseph B. and Harriet Wiles.  Eleven children were the issue of this union, of these all but one are living - Harriet A., a school teacher; Mary E., a teacher, Julietta, wife of George Miller, of Springfield; Edwin E., Florence G., Edith W., Lucy C., Newton J., Daisy A. and Myrta M.  Jocasta A. is deceased.  In 1850, Mr. Stephenson located on the farm he now occupies and has since resided on it, except five years he lived on the old homestead.  Mr. Stephenson's occupation has always been that of an agriculturist, giving his principal attention to cultivating tobacco, which he has raised successfully for thirty-five years.  He owns a farm of eighty-three acres of good land.  Mrs. S. is united with the Christian Church.  His political views are Democratic.
Source:  History of Brown County, Ohio - Publ. 1883 - Page 87
Union Twp. -
WILLIAM R. STEPHENSON, farmer, P. O. Ripley, son of Robert P. and Mary Stephenson, was born near Ripley May 12, 1843.  He was brought up to farming and was educated in the common schools of the neighborhood.  He took a commercial course in Grundy's College and graduated in March, 1864.  He began reading law, in 1872, with W. H. Sly, of Ripley, and was admitted to practice in the Circuit Court in September 1874.  He practiced his profession there one year, then engaged in buying and shipping tobacco at Logan's Gap till 1880.  He resumed his law practice in Ripley, and, in the early part of 1881, took charge of his father's farm.  Nov. 7, 1879, he was married to Miss Sarah B. Myers,, daughter of James and Salina Myers.  Two children were born to this marriage, viz.: Myrtie L. and James R.  Mr. Stephenson is identified with the Masonic body and Knights of Pythias.  Politically, he is a Democrat.
Source:  History of Brown County, Ohio - Publ. 1883 - Page 87
Pleasant Twp. -
Y. STEPHENSON, Georgetown, a prominent physician of Georgetown and Brown County, was born in Union Township, Brown County, Ohio, April 19, 1834.  He is a son of R. P.... Stephenson, who was also born in Union Township in 1801.  His father was Mill Stephenson probably a native of Delaware, and from whom Fort Stephenson was named.  He located in what is now Union Township, Brown County, Ohio, about the latter part of the eighteenth century, and there lived till his death.  His son, R. P. Stephenson, the father of our subject, was a boat-builder; also ran a saw-mill in early life, but has mainly been engaged in farming.  He married Elizabeth Wallace, a native of this county.  Nine children have been given them, seven living.  Both parents are living, and each in their eighty-first year.  Dr. Stephenson was the fifth child and fourth son of these parents, and was reared on the homestead farm.  He received a liberal education at the Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, remaining there four years.  At the commencement of the civil war, he returned to Brown County, and soon after obtained a situation as teacher in a district school.  He followed the profession of teaching probably sixteen years altogether.  He read medicine at Dr. Beasley, of Ripley, remaining with him two years.  He attended a course of medical lectures at the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati, and subsequently at the Starling Medical College of Columbus, Ohio, graduating from the latter institution in the spring of 1865.  He first located at Bentonville, Adams County, Ohio, and a year later at Georgetown, where he has since resided.  Dr. Stephenson has met with very good success in his practice.  He has always evinced considerable interest in educational matters throughout the entire county.  He was Principal of the Georgetown Public Schools for three years, and the Higginsport Schools two years.  He was President of the Brown County Teacher's Institute for four years; has been a member of the Georgetown Board of Education ten years, and is its oldest member in point of service.  He is also connected with the Brown County Academy of Medicine; of the Knights of Pythias, and the Lodge of Encampment of Odd Fellows.  Politically, he is a strong and earnest Democrat.  Dr. Stephenson was married, in the fall of 1856, to Susan Vananda, a native of Ohio.  Both are members of the M. E. Church.
Source:  History of Brown County, Ohio - Publ. 1883 - Page 41

NOTES:

 

...

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights

.