S. OLMSTED is descended from several families who have long been
prominent in the history of Ohio.
He was born in the family home in Franklin township, where he
now resides, Mar. 15, 1878, son of
Thomas B. and Irvenia Porter Olmsted.
Thomas Bingham Olmsted was born at Cadiz,
Harrison county, Ohio, in 1833, and died in
1890, being buried in the Odd Fellow’s cemetery at Chilo, Ohio.
He was a nephew of Hon. John A. Bingham, at one time minister to Japan and owner of one
of the finest law libraries in the State.
Thomas Olmsted bought the
present family home when he was twenty-five years of age and carried on
farming there until his death.
He was one of four children, of whom but one survives,
Henry, of Brooklyn, N. Y.
The mother of
Mr. Olmsted was born in Brown county, Ohio, June 15, 1840, and died Dec. 23, 1911,
being also buried at Odd Fellow’s cemetery.
She came to the present home of her children as a bride, having lived
in the neighborhood some sixty-three years at the time of her death.
She was a daughter of Robert and Harriet N. (Logan)
Porter. Her father was born
near Utopia, Brown county, June 2, 1815, and her mother was born near Clark’s Mills, in the same county, July 1, 1816.
He died May 15, 1878, and her mother passed away Jan. 23, 1903.
Both are buried in Woods cemetery.
They had four children, two of whom survive:
Irvenia, deceased, was
Mrs. Olmsted; John L. was killed
at Tunnel Hill, Ga.,
during the Civil war; Robert D.,
living on the home farm, and Althea,
wife of Fletcher McKinney.
Thomas B. and Irvenia Olmsted had seven children, namely:
Robert¸ a lawyer, of
Omaha, Neb., married
Miss Beatrice Birkhauser; they
have two children,
and Robert. Thomas D., of Dillon, Mont.,
married Miss Alice Chambers, and
have one son, Thomas D.
Harriet, widow of Guy T. Kenyon, Omaha,
Neb., has two sons,
Guy. Eloise and
Mary living on the home farm,
Fred Howard, who died in infancy,
and John S.
Olmsted presided over her home with rare grace and efficiency and showed
a tact and wisdom that endeared her to the hearts of all.
She was a woman of culture and refinement, and a valuable addition to
the social life of the neighborhood.
The Olmsted family have in
their possession a large black marble top center table, which formerly stood
in the parlor of the Olmsted
At one time the soldiers made the house their headquarters, and broke
the marble in several places.
Although Thomas B. Olmsted came from a family of comparative affluence, his
success in life was chiefly of his own making.
He was a good business manager and prospered well.
He was upright and industrious, and respected by all.
He was a natural artist and left a picture or sketch to each one of
his children as a remembrance.
His daughter, Harriet, Mrs.
Kenyon, has inherited this talent, and has given expression to her gift
in several beautiful pictures, which she has painted, and which have stood
well the examination of art critics.
Mr. Olmsted, subject of
this sketch, was educated in the country schools of Franklin township, and has
always resided on the home farm.
He is a Republican in politics and follows the example of his ancestors in
his public spirit and good citizenship.
He married Miss Irene
Denniston, Dec. 11, 1907.
They have one child, John S., born Dec. 7, 1911.
Mr. and Mrs. Olmsted are
members of the Presbyterian church.
The Olmsted home is located on a natural building site, one of the
finest locations for a country home to be found in the county.
Part of the residence and many of the outbuildings were on the farm
when he bought it, but they have been remodeled or rebuilt, and in 1876 the
house assumed its present dimensions.
It is conceded to be one of the handsomest places in the county and
is kept in beautiful condition.
The house is tastefully furnished, showing good taste and refinement, the
interior presenting very much the appearance of some old colonial mansion of
the South. The fields and
orchards are pleasant to look upon, and reflect great credit on
Mr. Olmsted, showing him to be a substantial and energetic farmer.
He is broad in his opinions and he and his sisters are worthy
representatives of an old and honorable family.
Source: History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio
Volume II -
By Byron Williams - 1913 - Page 195-197