A Part of Genealogy Express


Welcome to
History & Genealogy



By Byron Williams


MR. CHARLES P. MCKEVER, a leading farmer and stockman, residing at "Fairview Farm," a splendidly improved farm of ninety-one and one-half acres, south of Williamsburg, Ohio, was born at the old home farm two miles north of Williamsburg, September 7, 1854, his father being Lewis McKever, who is mentioned elsewhere in these volumes.
     Charles P. McKever acquired a good education in the common schools of his vicinity and has followed farming and stock raising since he entered the business world.  For twenty-five years, he has been associated with his three brothers, James E., William E., and E. C., all being interested in raising of fine stock at the old home farm of two hundred and seventy-seven acres.  During the past five years, he has handled nothing but registered Jersey stock, with which he is very successful.
     In 1902, Mr. Charles McKever sold out his interests to his brothers, who in tern sold to Col. Ernest Ruffner, of the United States army, now of Newport, Ky.  The farm is being operated by a son, Arthur Ruffner.
After the sale of his interests in the old homestead, Mr. McKever leased his mother's farm for a term of five years, and before his lease expired he purchased a farm in Brown county, which he sold soon after.  In the fall of 1905, the present farm he old soon after.  In the fall of 1905, the present farm was purchased at an administrator's sale.  This is the old Rowan Lytle farm, Rowan being a son of John Lytle, and a nephew of Gen. William LytleMr. McKever has remodeled the house and has had a new barn erected, removing all of the other buildings and putting up new fences, which has made it one of the finest home farms in this section of the country.  He has another farm of seventy-five acres on the Chillicothe pike, not far from Williamsburg, and his entire attention is turned to the management of his farm and tenants.  He buys and feeds stock, which he holds until he can sell at a good profit.
     Mr. McKever was married December 29, 1878, to Miss Matilda Jane Creager, who was born in Brown county, a daughter of Elisha and Mary (Reddick) Creager, the latter passing from this life at the home of Mr. McKever, in March, 1912, where she had resided for the past sixteen years.
     Elisha and Mary (Reddick) Creager were resident farmers of Brown county from about 1853, the former being a native of New Jersey, and was a son of William and Katie (Knitzer) Creagor, who brought the family to Ohio very early, locating near Loveland.  He secured several farms in the county and resided there until his death.  Katie (Knitzer) Creager was also a native of New Jersey, and came to Ohio, with her parents, when she was a child.  To this couple were born fourteen children, seven sons and seven daughters, all now deceased.  Elisha was educated in the schools near Loveland, and as a young man engaged in teaming about the wharves of Cincinnati.  He returned to Loveland for a period and located in Brown county about 1853, and there lived until his death.
     Mrs. McKever has four brothers and one sister living:
     Richard P., of Logansport, Ind.
     Jerome B., of Tonica, Ill.
     Robert A., of Brown county, Ohio.
     John H., of Franklin, Warren county, Ohio
     Fannie, married Samuel Cobb, of Williamsburg township.
     Mr. and Mrs. McKever had one daughter, Birdie May, born in 1881, and died March 6, 1905.  She married John Mehl, a farmer of near Mt. Orab.  Mr. McKever is a Democrat and has served on the school board, and Mrs. McKever is a member of the United Brethren church of Williamsburg.
     Mr. McKever is numbered among the substantial citizens of the county, having concentrated his energies on his business affairs with exceptionally good results.
Source:  History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio - Volume II By Byron Williams - 1913 - Page 365
EDMUND MARTIN.  The death of Edmund Martin at his home on the North Pole pike in Union township, June 30, 1912, removed from Brown county, Ohio, one of its most eminent and honorable citizens.  For years he was associated with the agricultural and commercial interests of this locality and was one of the most noted and extensive dealers in fine horses in the Ohio valley.
     The family from which he sprang was of the oldest in Brown county, his grandfather, Elijah Martin, having erected the home in Union township, which is a substantial structure of brick.  Elijah Martin was a native of Maryland and in 1804 went to Kentucky, settling at Maysville, where he remained for two years, after which he located near Aberdeen, Brown county, Ohio.  In 1812 he recruited the First Ohio Rifle company and was chosen as captain.  After the war he returned to his home and carried on the business of general farming until his demise in August, 1855.  His wife, Rebecca Boggs, was a native of Virginia and her death occurred in 1860.  They were both prominently identified with the Methodist church for many years.  Elijah Martin filled the office of Justice of the Peace for a period of twenty years.
     The birth of Edmund Martin, of this mention, occurred in Huntington township May 17, 1837, and he was a son of Edmund Martin, who was a horseman of considerable note.
     The subject of this review, Edmund Martin, was a great lover of horses and was an authority of more than local prominence and his superior judgment was recognized generally by horsemen and others.  In 1857 he received the indorsement of a number of State officials, including the Governor, recommending him to the British government as a competent judge and a man in every way honorable and responsible.  In that year he shipped a carload of horses to England and later shipped another, making the trip with them and making very successful sales.  For some fifty years Mr. Martin shipped many carloads of horses to the Boston and New York markets and probably handled more good draft horses than any other dealer shipping to eastern markets, at times shipping three or four carloads per week.
     Mr. Martin owned some five hundred acres of land in Huntington and Union townships, which included the home which was built by his grandfather, Elijah Martin and the home farm.  This land is still owned by members of the family.
     In the year 1862 Mr. Martin was united in marriage to Catherine, daughter of Robert Stephenson, and they had eight children, of whom three and his wife are deceased.  Their names follow:  Minnie, Fannie, Edmund, Bernie and Maggie.  Mary, Eva, and Katie are deceased.  Mrs. Martin died Feb. 18, 1889, and was burned February 20th, the forty-ninth anniversary of her birth.
     Mr. Martin was a staunch Republican and, although a busy man, always took an active interest in all affairs.
* Source:  History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio  Volume II  By Byron Williams - 1913 - Page 127
SAMUEL HIETT MARTINMr. Samuel Hiett Martin, a progressive farmer and stock raiser of Brown county, Ohio, owns and operates a splendidly improved farm of one hundred and two acres on North Pole pike in Huntington township.  He was born in Union township, Brown county, May 6, 1867, a son of Ephriam and Ruth (Hiett) Martin, the latter of whom was a daughter of Major and Sarah Hiett, and died Sept. 1907.
     Ephraim Martin was born in Union township, Brown county, June 22, 1836, and is now living in retirement at his home in Huntington township, where he has resided for the past thirty-eight years.  He is a son of Samuel and _____ (Campbell) Martin,  who were from Kentucky.
     Mr. Samuel H. Martin is one of seven children, of whom four brothers and two sisters are living, namely: Elijah, who was born in 1863, died in childhood; William, born June 2, 1865, is a farmer of Huntington township, Brown county; Samuel, our subject; John C., who was born Aug. 13, 1869, and George W., who was born Sept. 7, 1871, are operating the home farm in Huntington township, the latter of whom married Miss Laura Arn, daughter of John Arn, an early resident of Brown county; Sallie born July 28, 1876, wife of Joseph Cooper a farmer of Huntington township; Lorena, born Jan. 5, 1880, is the wife of James Stephenson, of Dayton, Ohio, with the National Cash Register Company.
     Mr. Samuel Hiett was reared on the farm which was his home for twenty-five years and received a good common school education.  He was united in marriage to Miss Clara Jane Fulton on the 21st of December, 1892, she being a daughter of Joseph and Catherine (Cooper) Fulton, both of whom are deceased.  They were resident farmers of Huntington township, Brown county.
     Mrs. Martin is one of seven children: Cora, who was born in 1862, is at home with her brother, Joseph; Cooper, born in Huntington township, in 1864, married Grace Sutton; Titus B., born in 1866, is a farmer of Huntington township, and married Jennie Ellis; Margaret, born Oct. 13, 1868, died Nov. 24, 1911; Clara J., wife of Mr. Martin of this review, was born Nov. 3, 1870; Charles D. Fulton was born in1872, and married Annie Griffith he being a farmer of Huntington township; Joseph C., born in 1877.  The mother had three children by a former marriage to William Riggs, and they are, Emily, now Mrs. John Buchanan; Samuel, of Huntington township; and Wylie, deceased.
     Mr. and Mrs. Martin are the parents of twin daughters, Cora Belle and Ruth Lee, the latter of whom died when an infant; birth occurred Dec. 15, 1899.
     In politics, Mr. Martin is an active Republican, as have been all the family.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Martin are members of the Christian church, Hiett's chapel.
     The years spent in Brown county have been profitable ones for Mr. Martin, and he enjoys the respect and esteem of the community in which he lives.
* Source:  History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio  Volume II  By Byron Williams - 1913 - Page 506
MEFFORD BROTHERSThe Mefford Brothers may be classed among Ripley's most progressive and public-spirited young business men, whose intense business activity and energy have been the salient features in their successful career.  They were born one mile from Ripley, Brown county, Ohio, Harry L., Dec. 12, 1881, and Thomas L., Dec. 12, 1883.  They are sons of Samuel B. and Albertine (Ludon) Mefford, both residing near Ripley.
     The paternal ancestors of the Mefford Brothers were natives of Germany, and tradition gives us the name of Andrew Conrad Mefford, whose birthplace was Frankfort, Germany, as being the first of the family to leave the Fatherland for America, and who located in or near Pittsburgh, Pa.  He was the great-great-great-grandmother of the gentleman whose names for the title of his review.
     John Mefford, son of Andrew Conrad Mefford, was a large land owner and wealthy man of Virginia, who came down the Ohio river in 1787 to Limestone (now Marysville), Ky., where he remained for a few years, after which he removed to what is now Brown county, near the present site of Ripley, Ohio.  Here he erected a log house near the place on the top of the hill, now owned by Mrs. Rachel Meyers, who resides there, and it is known as the old Mefford homestead.  Shortly after his locating in Brown county, John Mefford purchased five hundred acres of land below Ripley, which he put into a high state of cultivation.  During the frontier period he served as lieutenant of militia in the district located between Elk river (known as Eagle creek) and Straight creek.  John was twice married, having seven children of the first union, the oldest being George, who was born in Pennsylvania, Nov. 22, 1786, and who died Oct. 30, 1872.
     George Mefford was united in marriage on Nov. 7, 1811, to Polly Ellis, a daughter of Samuel Ellis, a pioneer resident of near Higginsport, Ohio.  He was a brother of Nathan Ellis, who founded Aberdeen, Ohio.  George and Polly (Ellis) Mefford, was married in 1834 to Anna, daughter of Lines and Rebecca (Applegate) Pangburn, who was born Aug. 31, 1817, in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, and whose death took place May 30, 1890.  They had fifteen children born to their union, one of whom was Samuel B., who was born on Pisgah Ridge, Brown county, Ohio, Dec. 6, 1854.  He was united in marriage to Alertin Loudon, daughter of W. P. and Eliza J. Loudon, Apr. 2, 1879.  To this union four children were born, Bertha, who died in infancy, Harry L., Thomas L. and Earl L.  Earl L. Mefford is a member of the Masonic lodge at Ripley, having obtained the Royal Arch degree.  He is a very successful traveling salesman, having for several years represented the America Tobacco Company in Southern Ohio.
     Samuel B. Mefford is a prominent agriculturist of Brown county, and owns and operates a finely cultivated farm of two hundred and forty acres of land near Ripley, Ohio.  He has devoted his entire life to farming and is classed among the successful citizens of the county, and served nine years as trustee of Union township, and also assessor for six years.
     Harry L. Mefford was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Lang, a native of Dayton, Ohio, her parents being from Germany, and both are deceased.  They have one daughter, Dorothy Lang MeffordHarry Mefford is a member of the Masonic lodge, including the Royal Arch Masons, of Ripley, Ohio.
     Thomas L. Mefford is a member of the Union Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, and Ripley Chapter, Royal Arch Masons.  He has membership also with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and Modern Woodmen of America.
     Politically, they are in favor of the men and measures of the Republican party, although independent in local affairs.
     Religiously, reared in the Christian church, Mr. Thomas L. and Earl L. continue to be members of that denomination, while their brother Harry L. embraces the faith of the Presbyterian church.  The Mefford Brothers are highly esteemed in their native town as honest and industrious men, and are considered admirable citizens in every particular.
* Source:  History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio  Volume II  By Byron Williams - 1913 - Page 155
THE MEFFORD & GRIM COMPANY, furniture dealers, funeral directors and embalmers, of Ripley, Ohio, is the largest and most widely known furniture and undertaking establishment in Brown county.  The company has done a large business in Brown and Adams counties in Ohio and also in Kentucky, and is incorporated for ten thousand dollars.
     The business was established about 1876 by Mr. L. Grim, Sr., as a general store and funeral directory, in the present location, the coffins and furniture being manufactured in the same building, which has since been remodeled.  Later the firm name was changed to L. Grim & Son, and in 1906, when Messrs. Harry L. and Thomas L. Mefford became interested in the company, the firm name was changed to the Mefford & Grim Company, by which it has since been known.
     Mr. Grim has retained his interest in the business, but it is managed by the Medford brothers.  The business has steadily increased during the past few years and the building has been remodeled and modernized to take care of the extensive trade.
     It is interesting to thus note the gradual growth of a large enterprise and it is easy to feel enthusiasm for the minds who have not only the ability to plan, but also to execute to great an undertaking.  The firm was doing a very nice business prior to the time the Mefford brothers became interested, but upon entering into the firm they combined youthful energy and persevering activity with rare administrative skill and thorough knowledge, which was made possible a larger increase.  The mutual confidence and esteem which has always existed among the members of the firm has had its influence, and all are men of highest business integrity as well as commercial perception.
* Source:  History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio  Volume II  By Byron Williams - 1913 - Page 486
MR. SAMUEL B. MEFFORD, one of the best known citizens of Union township, Brown county, Ohio, who has proven himself a successful farmer and stockman, owns and operates two hundred and thirty acres of the old Mefford farm, which was settled by John Mefford, the great-grandfather of Mr. Samuel Mefford of this mention.  Mr. Mefford was born on a farm adjoin his present home, Dec. 7, 1854, he being a son of John Walker and Annie (Pangburn) Mefford.
     John Walker Mefford
was also a native of Brown county, his birth having taken place in Union township, Feb. 3, 1814, and his death, May 17, 1891.  He was a prosperous farmer, which occupation he followed during his entire active life.  In politics, he was a staunch Republican, and both he and his wife were consistent members of the Christian church.  He was a son of George and Polly Mefford.
     George Mefford
was born Nov. 22, 1786, and departed this live, Oct. 30, 1872, while his wife was born Oct 20, 1793, and passed away, May 16, 1832.  He was engaged in the produce business and in connection with this line of business, made eighteen trips to New Orleans.  He and his wife were active members of the Baptist church, and were prominent in the community in which they lived.  George was a son of John Mefford, who was also the great grandfather of Mr. Samuel B. Mefford.
     John Mefford
was born in Pennsylvania, Apr. 19, 1764, and came to Mason county, Kentucky, from his native State in 1787.  Shortly after, he removed to Brown county, locating near Levanna, where he purchased five hundred acres of land and there carried on general farming until his death, April 21, 1834.  He made the trip from Pennsylvania to Kentucky by flat boat, then the common means of travel.
     Samuel B. Mefford is one of fifteen children, of whom thirteen grew to maturity.  One died at the age of fourteen years, and one at two years of age.  There are eight still living, namely: George W., L. P. Melissa (Drake) and Mrs. Flora White, all of Higginsport; William P., of Felicity, Ohio; Emma (Burgett), of Dayton, Ohio; and Clamenza (Smith) of Ripley, Ohio.
     Mr. Samuel B. Mefford has resided thus far on the old home farm, and has been engaged in the business of farming along general lines.  He has made many improvements during his residence as owner, including a handsome home, which was erected in 1910.
     The marriage of Samuel B. Mefford and Miss Albertine Loudon took place on the 2d of April, 1879.  She was born in Union township, Brown county, Ohio, Sept. 25, 1852, and is the daughter of W. P. and Eliza J. (Rogers) Loudon.  The birth of the former occurred in February, 1827, and he passed away Nov. 27, 1903.  The latter was born in 1832 and died June 8, 1911, both natives of Brown county.
     Mrs. Mefford's
grandfather, Charles Loudon, was a brother of Gen. James Loudon, who came to Brown county together, from Mason county, Kentucky.  Her maternal grandfather, Ezekiel Rogers, was born in Brown county, and was a son of Thomas Rogers, who settled in the county soon after the Revolution.  Mrs. Mefford is one of four children, two sons and two daughters, the others being: W. B. Loudon, of Union township, a farmer on Pizgah Ridge; E. W., a tobacco man of Cincinnati, whose office is at No. 10 East Front street; Rachel (Myers), of Union township, a widow of William Myers.
The family of Mr. and Mrs. Mefford consists of the following children: Bertha, who died in infancy; Harry L. and Thomas L., furniture dealers and undertakers of Ripley, Ohio; and Earl L., a traveling man of Dayton, Ohio.
     Mr. Mefford takes an intelligent interest in politics, and has served for the past six years as township trustee of Union township.
     Mr. and Mrs. Samuel B. Mefford are active members of the Christian church.  He is a thoroughly respected citizen and all who know him appreciate his many noble traits of character.
Source:  History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio - Volume II By Byron Williams - 1913 - Page 491
ROBERT W. MILLERMr. Robert W. Miller has made farming his occupation throughout his entire life and has attained a high degree of success in his chosen pursuit.  The home farm of Mr. Miller is located on the Arnheim pike, on the old Dixon ridge, in Union township, Brown county, Ohio.  He was born in Pleasant township, Brown county, Mar. 15, 1849, and is a son of Robert S. and Mary J. (Evans) Miller.
     Robert S. Miller
, the father, was born in Pennsylvania, Nov. 22, 1817, and died Nov. 20, ,1901, at his home in Union township.  His father, Robert Gillen Miller came to Brown county from Pennsylvania, locating first in Lewis township and was active in the operation of the famous Underground Railroad.  He finally located in Pleasant township and was living in a log house, now the home of Albert H. Moore at the time of his death, aged sixty years.  He was a captain of the Home Guards.  Robert devoted his attention to farming and was considered among the most successful in his locality.
     Mary J. Evans was born in Brown county, Dec. 12, 1821, and was of Scotch-Irish descent.  She was a daughter of William and Mary (Patten) Evans and was an aunt of Capt. Nelson W. Evans, of Portsmouth, Ohio.  Her death occurred Jan. 24, 1875.  She was her husband were consistent members of the Christian church.
     In the family of Robert S. and Mary J. (Evans) Miller were nine children, of whom five sons and two daughters are now living;  George, of Thorntown, Ind.; John W. of Byrd township, Brown county; Robert W., our subject; William W., of Bethel, Clermont county, Ohio; James E. of Clark Township, Brown County; Jane (Tweed), of Dayton; Sarah F. (Cox), of Union township township; Anna C. (Carr) died in 1880; and Emma died in infancy.
     Mr. Robert W. Miller has been a resident of Union township since he was five years of age and has been a successful farmer practically all of his active life.
     Mr. Miller was united in marriage in 1881, in Lewis township, to Miss Addie L. Cahall, who was born in Lewis township, in November, 1853, and departed this life June 8, 1902.  She was a daughter of James and Fannie (Drake) Cahall, an old family of Lewis township.  She was survived by three children:
     Everett J. P., at home.
     Miss Mary B. was born in 1883 and died in December, 1907.
     Miss Sadie L., at home.
     Miss Mary B. was born in 1883 and died in December, 1907.
     By his study of the political issues of the day Mr. Miller is a Republican.
     The religious views of Mr. Miller and family are in favor of the Christian church, of which they are active members.  Mr. Robert W. Miller enjoys the high regard and esteem of the community in which he has lived for so many years, because of his many sterling qualities and excellent traits of character.  By the many years of practical experience in general farming and stock raising he has become proficient along those lines and has met with well deserved success.
Source:  History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio - Volume II By Byron Williams - 1913 - Page 498




CLICK HERE to Return to
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights