OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

 

BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF CLERMONT & BROWN COUNTIES, OHIO
By Byron Williams
1913
 

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1913 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
 

  JOSEPH G. HEIZER, a successful farmer and stock raiser, of Pleasant township, Brown county, Ohio, belongs to one of the oldest and most respected families of the county.  He was born in that township, Mar. 31, 1863, and is a son of John and Mary (Frost) Heizer.  His father was born in Union township, Brown County, Ohio, in 1838, and his mother in Pleasant Township in 1837.  John Heizer, now retired from active life and residing on his farm in Pleasant township, is a son of Edward and Iva (Dugan) Heizer, and a grandson of John Heizer, Sr., a native of Virginia, who immigrated to Brown County, Ohio, in December, 1807, and settled on a track of land on Strait creek, near the Ohio river.  In keeping the custom of his Dutch ancestors, he was taught the trade of carpentering, which he followed until he immigrated to Ohio.  He raised a large family and he became an influential man in the new community, and his home was a scene of many public meetings in the early days.  His creek was often used as a baptismal fount, and he was always ready to do anything he could for the promotion of the welfare and progress of the community.  His great-grandson, the subject of this sketch, prizes very highly two of the original tools used by him in his carpentering work, one of which, the foot adze, still has the same wooden handle it had over one hundred years ago.  He lived to a good old age.
     Edward Heizer was born on the old homestead in Union township, in 1808, some fifty yards from the place he died, in 1899, and his wife, Iva Dugan, was born in Pleasant township, and died in middle life.  They were the parents of five children, Joseph, Louis, John, Deborah and William, all of whom are dead except John, who resides on his farm three miles south of Georgetown, Ohio.
     John Heizer, father of Joseph G. Heizer, was educated in Union and Pleasant townships, mostly in the latter, and remained on the home farm until his marriage, Nov. 3, 1858, to Mary A. Frost, daughter of Josiah and Margaret (Armstrong) Frost, farmers of Brown county.  Mr. and Mrs. Frost had five children, Jane, James, Mary A., Ellis and Cynthiana, all deceased except Mary A. the mother of this sketch.  Josiah Frost, was one of the original tobacco and pork merchants of Brown county.  John Heizer and wife located on the general farming, and was largely successful.  He is a Republican in politics, and he and his wife belong to the Christian church, he being one of the promoters and builders of Olive chapel, which stands near his home.  They had four children, all born in Brown county: Cora B., at home with her parents; Joseph G., whose name stands at the head of this sketch; William E., of Texas, and a daughter who died in infancy.  The father and mother are well preserved for their years.  They are held in high regard by al, and have worked hard for their success in life.  They have erected a pretty home on one of his farms.
     Joseph G. attended the local schools, and engaged in commercial traveling for a short time.  Since then he has devoted his time to farming, in which he has been successful.  Since his marriage he located on Home Lawn Farm, two miles south of Georgetown, which farm now contains two hundred and sixty-five acres.  He is self-made, having earned his own way in the world form young manhood, and is industrious and enterprising.  He is very fond of reading and keeps well abreast of the times.  He is held in general respect and has a large number of friends, among whom he is popular.  He is a Republican in politics and fraternally belongs to the Knights of Pythias.  He is a member of the Presbyterian church.
     On December 21, 1899, Mr. Heizer was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. McConaughy, who was born in Union township, in 1863, daughter of John C. and Ellen Jane (Hodgkins) McConaughy, the parents also natives of that township.  Mr. McConaughy was born in 1837 and lives in Clermont county, and the mother of 1840.  They are both well preserved for their age.  He was a successful farmer and operated farms in Illinois and Ohio, retiring from active life some five years since, and moving to his present farm.  They had seven children, namely: Laura, lives at home; Mary, Mrs. J. G. Heizer; W. O., of Clermont county; J. A., of Dayton; W. M., of Cincinnati; F. E., of near Milford, Ohio; the fourth child, Rhoda, died in infancy.
     The old homestead on Strait creek has changed hands only three times since 1807, from John Sr., to Edward; from Edward to Deborah; thence that part in Union township to Clara, daughter of Joseph, and that part in Pleasant township to Joseph G., the subject of this sketch.
Source:  History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio - Volume II - By Byron Williams - 1913 - Page 187
  MR. HOWARD W. HOLMAN, whose excellent farm of sixty-two acres is situated in Sterling township, near Mt. Orab, Brown county, Ohio, was born in Sterling township, Feb. 1, 1869, a son of Francis and Amy A. (Mount) Holman.
     Mr. Holman
was reared and educated in Sterling township, Brown county, and his early training along the lines of agriculture led him to choose that occupation as a life vocation.
     In the spring of 1900 Mr. Howard W. Holman married Miss Lottie Mount who was born in Highland county, Ohio, Nov. 14, 1878, a daughter of William and Mary (Young) Mount, the former of whom was born in Warren county, Ohio, on 1840, and died April 26, 1910.  Mary (Young) Mount died in the early 1880's in her thirty-ninth year.  She was the mother of six children, three of whom are now living:  Lottie, Mrs. Holman; Neely resides on the home farm in Green township; and Leonard is in the employ of the street railway company at Cincinnati.  Those deceased were: Gilbert, Lizzie and Walter, the brothers having passed away in childhood.
     Mrs. Holman was reared and educated in Green township, Brown county, Ohio, from the age of eighteen months.  She and Mr. Holman are the parents of four children: Bertha May died on May 6, 1907, at the age of six years; Effie, born Oct. 26, 1902; Clarence M., born Apr. 28, 1907; and Wilbur William, born Aug. 26, 1910.
     In politics, Mr. Holman is an advocate of the principles of the Democratic party, and socially he holds membership with the Knights of Pythias at Williamsburg.
     Religiously, Mr. and Mrs. Howard W. Holman are earnest members of the Christian church and are liberal supporters of that denomination.  Mr. Holman is widely and favorably known in Brown county as an enterprising and energetic farmer and stockraiser.
Source:  History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio - Volume II - By Byron Williams - 1913 ~ Page 524

Malcolm Holman & Luella (Ireton) Holman
and James B. Holman
MR. JAMES B. HOLMAN, an enterprising, energetic and prosperous farmer of Brown county, Ohio, is successfully engaged in the pursuits of agriculture on his well improved and productive farm of two hundred and two acres in Sterling township, two and one-half miles from Williamsburg.  He also gives considerable attention to stock raising in connection with his general farming.  Mr. Holman is a native of Brown county, his birth having occurred April 23, 1847, his parents being James and Sarah (Bosier) Holman.
     Mr. James Holman
was born near Trenton, N. J., in 1797, and grew to young manhood in his native State.  In the year of 1819 or 1820, James Holman and his brother, Francis, were influenced to come to Williamsburg, Ohio, by an uncle, James Perrine, Sr., who had left New Jersey in 1803 and settled on the Hawkin's Survey on the road from Williamsburg to Bethel.  One of his sons, James Perrine, Jr., married Polly Kain, a daughter of James Kain, the first of all to settle in the East Fork Valley.  A daughter of theirs married John Jamieson, and they were the ancestors of the Milton Jamieson family, of Batavia, Ohio, whose sketch appears elsewhere on these pages.
     James Holman traveled on foot from New Jersey to Ohio, and his possessions at the time of his arrival in Williamsburg was the sum of three cents.  He at once engaged as stage driver from Williamsburg to Chillicothe, and was thus occupied for several years.  He followed other occupations as well and finally determined to become a farmer and stock raiser.  As soon as he had saved sufficient money necessary to make the trip, Mr. Holman returned to New Jersey for his mother and father, the latter of whom was Joseph Holman.  He secured a one-horse conveyance for their journey and he walked the entire distance to Brown county, where he established them in comfortable surroundings.  The first land he was able to purchase, he deeded to his mother and thus enabled his parents to spend their declining years in comfortable enjoyment.  He finally secured a fine farm of five hundred acres in Brown county and met with the success which he so well deserved.  He operated a wood-working factory on his farm and hauled its products to Cincinnati, Ohio.  Mr. James Holman was one of and the eldest of five children,  the others being: Frank, who died in Brown county, and Anna, who married James Kain, of Williamsburg.  The others remained in New Jersey.  James Holman was one of the self-made men of his locality and owed his prosperity to his own energy and determination.  He died on the farm he had opened to civilization, June 15, 1875, at the ripe old age of seventy-eight years.  He was a strong pioneer, and the influence of his industrious life will ever live in the hearts of his descendants.  In politics he was a staunch Democrat.
     Sarah (Bosier) Holman was born in New Jersey and departed this life in 1855, aged about forty years.  To the union of James and Sarah (Bosier) Holman were born five children of whom James B., our subject, is the eldest.  The others follow: Mary Ellen, died in infancy; H. P., of near Creston, Iowa, is a farmer and stockman; William, resides with James B., and Sarah, who died in infancy.
     James B. Holman was reared and has resided for the most of his life thus far, in Sterling township.  During his boyhood and youth he attended the common schools of Brown county, and after his education was completed, in 1866, entered upon the profession of a teacher, which he followed for a period of eight years, teaching six months in each year.  For two years following this time, Mr. Holman was in the employ of the Wheeler & Wilson Sewing Machine Company, as traveling salesman.  Tiring of this occupation, he returned to his native county and receiving a portion of his father's farm, he became engaged as a farmer and as the years have passed he has added to until he has his present holdings.  This farm has been his residence sine the latter part of 1873, and having been trained along the lines of practical farming as he grew to manhood on the parental farm, he has displayed excellent business ability and executive force in the management of his extensive agricultural interests.
     When he had reached mature years, Mr. James B. Holman chose for the companion of his future years, Miss Sarah Louella Ireton, who was born in Clermont county, Ohio, April 17, 1856, a daughter of John and Sarah (Brasier) Ireton.
     John Ireton
was born in New Jersey and was brought to Clermont county when an infant by his parents, Obediah and Mary Ireton, the latter a step-mother.  They located two and one-half miles northeast of Williamsburg, where Mr. Ireton engaged successfully in farming.  He passed from this life in 1890, in the eighty-fifth year of his life.  His wife, Sarah (Brasier) Ireton, was born near Lebanon, Ohio, and departed this life in 1897, aged seventy-nine years.  She was an earnest member of the Methodist church for many years, but in later life she became a member of the Presbyterian church.  They were the parents of the following named children:  Samuel, Aleck, John, Obe, Mary (Holman), and Hattie (Johnson).  Those who are deceased are: Lorenzo, a miner, was killed by a snow-slide in the West; Nancy and Deborah died in early childhood.
     Into the family circle of Mr. and Mrs. James B. Holman have come two children to brighten and gladden the home, namely: James M., born April 3, 1874, is in the Quartermaster's Department of the Lakes, stationed at Chicago.  He married Mary Clarke, and they have two children, Malcolm C. and Virginia E.  James M. Holman graduated from the Williamsburg High School, after which he took a three-years course at the Ohio Wesleyan University, of Delaware, Ohio.  He then entered the law office of Ingersoll & Peyton, of Knoxville, Tenn., and later became stenographer for Colonel Lee, at Chickamauga, during the Spanish-American war.  Since the close of the war, he has had charge of the supplies in the quarter-master's department.
     Charles E., born in 1876, died at the age of two years and four months.
     Mr. Holman has filled many responsible positions of public trust during his long and useful active life.  In the fall of 1894, he was elected county commissioner of Brown county and served six years, from September, 1895.  In 1894, Governor McKinley appointed him delegate to the Farmer's Congress, held in North Carolina.  In 1912 he was appointed by Governor Harman as a delegate to New Orleans, but did not attend.  He has also served in the various minor local offices.
     Mr. Holman was one of the organizers of the Williamsburg Home Telephone Company, in 1898, and has been the business manager of that company since its organization.
     Socially, Mr. Holman has membership in the Clermont Social Lodge, No. 29, Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is also past master.
     Mr. Holman is a member of the Presbyterian church and believes in Christianity without creed, recognizing that the true spirit of religion is in Biblical teaching and not by its interpretation by men.
     Mr. James B. Holman is well known in the community where he has spent so many years, because of his charitable and kindly deeds.  His thoughtful spirit, genial disposition and honorable principles have greatly endeared him to those with whom he has been associated.
     In 1901, Mr. Holman was nominated on the Democratic ticket for member of the State Board of Public Works.  He helped organize the first farmer's institute in Southern Ohio, and has taken an active interest in farmers' affairs, being now president of the Williamsburg Farmer's Institute; he has addressed many institutes and is a recognized authority on matters along this line.  He has for the past forty years been recognized as among the foremost of life stock auctioneers, having cried sales far and wide in Clermont and Brown counties. ( PHOTO WILL BE ADDED UPON REQUEST)
Source:  History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio - Volume II - By Byron Williams - 1913 - Page 48
  ALLEN HUTCHINSONMr. Allen Hutchinson, a prominent farmer and stockman, and highly respected citizen of Sterling township, Brown county, owns a fine, fertile farm of one hundred and four acres, which he has splendidly improved.  He was born in Jackson township, Clermont county, Ohio, Sept. 14, 1870, and is a son of Enoch and Serene (Jester) Hutchinson.
     Enoch Hutchinson
was born in Williamsburg township, Clermont county, Ohio, in 1847, and died in 1877 at the age of thirty years.  He was a son of Robert and Jemima (Harlow) Hutchinson.  The former died about 1893 and the latter is a resident of Williamsburg township at the advanced age of ninety-five years.  Robert Hutchinson was an Eastern gentleman by birth, and the Harlow family was among the first settlers of Jackson township.  Enoch Hutchinson was a farmer by business and a soldier in the Civil war, in the same company with Dr. Redrow, mentioned elsewhere.  He was one of six children: William, of Norwood, Ohio; Frank, who is now deceased, was a soldier in the cavalry during the Civil war; J. W., of Williamsburg township, a teacher for many years in the county; and Enoch, the youngest.
     Serene (Jester) Hutchinson was a native of Jackson township, Clermont county, and died about 1875, a young woman.  She was a daughter of Isaac and Phoebe Jester, who came to Clermont from New Jersey in pioneer days, being among the first families to locate in this section.
     The boyhood of Mr. Hutchinson was spent on his father's farm in Clermont county, and his mental training was obtained in the district schools, which was afterward completed in normal school at Danville, Ind.  For a period of twelve years following his graduation from the normal school he was engaged in teaching in both Clermont and Brown counties.
     Mr. Hutchinson married Miss Cora Hutton, a native of Sterling township, Brown county, and is a daughter of John Hutton, a farmer and stockraiser.
     John Hutton was born in Brown county, Ohio, Mar. 24, 1850, and is a son of William and Julia A. (Hesler) Hutton.  Since the age of two years Mr. Hutton has resided on his present farm in Sterling township and has followed farming successfully all his life.  He is a Republican and has served in the various local offices.  He is a son of William and Julia A. (Hesler) Hutton, the former of whom was born in Fleming county, Kentucky, Oct. 30, 1805, and whose death occurred May 26, 1879, in Brown county, where he settled in 1829.  He was a carpenter and builder and in later years engaged in farming.  Julia A. (Hesler) Hutton was born in Bracken county, Kentucky, Feb. 22, 1809, and died in Brown county, Ohio, May 31, 1890.  Her father died in Kentucky and her mother married Mr. Fite and removed to Brown county.
     Maggie (Conner) Hutton was born and reared in Sterling township and is the daughter of Ira and Melinda (Arthur) Conner, early residents of Brown county, coming from Vermont.  To the union of John and Maggie (Conner) Hutton have been born three children: Myra, wife of Delmer Waite, a prominent stockman of Williamsburg, Ohio; Mr. Allen Hutchinson; and Miss Bertha, at home.
     Mr. Allen Hutchinson votes the Republican ticket and is interested in all educational matters, having served as a member and president of the board of education of Sterling township.
     Socially, Mr. Hutchinson is a member of Clermont Social Lodge No. 29, Free and Accepted Masons, of Williamsburg and both he and Mrs. Hutchinson are members of the Order of the Eastern Star.
     In religious matters, Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson are active members and liberal supporters of the Methodist church, of Taylor's Chapel.
     For the past eighteen years Mr. Hutchinson has devoted his attention to the business of general farming, and the success which he has won is due entirely to his own energetic and persevering efforts.
* Source:  History of Clermont & Brown Counties, Ohio  Volume II  By Byron Williams - 1913 - Page 522

NOTES:

 

...

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights

.