OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Welcome to
Belmont County
OHIO

BIOGRAPHIES
(Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
WILLIAM MANN has for nearly 23 years been prominently identified with the business interests of Martin's Ferry, as the proprietor of one of the largest foundries in his vicinity. He gives employment to some 25 experienced workmen, and in this way alone has been of great service to his community. He inherited from good Scotch ancestors those qualities that help win success for a man at every step in life. Born at Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, Scotland, October 28, 1845, lie is a son of James and Elizabeth (Walker) Mann.
     James Mann was born in the shire of Fife, Scotland. In early life he settled in Coatbridge. where he secured a position with the Summerlee Iron Company, his work being that of contractor in the blacksmith and carpentry department. Eminently successful in Ibis line, he remained with the firm for 25 years. In 1870 he and his family came to the United States. For some years he followed farming here, meeting with, very good results. Later he settled in Little Falls, Minnesota, where he spent his last days, dying there at the advanced age of 86 years. He married Elizabeth Walker, who was born in the shire of Fife, Scotland. She lived to the age of 76 and died in 1884. To Mr. and Mrs. Mann were born six children, five of whom are now living. Mr. Mann was a person of great integrity and won the respect of all who knew him. Both he and his wife belonged to the Presbyterian Church.
     William Mann received his education under an instructor in his own home in Scotland, after the completion of which he served an apprenticeship of five years as a patternmaker in the Summerlee Iron Works. At the end of this period, being well qualified for any position in his line, he accepted a place in the Atlas Foundry and Machine Shops. So acceptably did he fill this position that in the course of six months he was made foreman. He continued as such for six years, acquiring a knowledge of business and an experience in dealing with men that was of inestimable value to him in after years. In 1870 he came to the United States, and soon after landing proceeded to Chicago, where he accepted a position with D. M. Ford & Company. Later he worked with Dixon, Marshall & Company of Pittsburg for three years. It was in 1874 that he settled in Martin's Ferry, where he soon engaged himself as a pattern-maker for Culberton, Willey & Company, who established the foundry and machine shop in 1872. With this company he remained some six years, commanding the salary of a skilled workman. At the end of this period, in 1870. though possessed of but little means, he determined to go into business by himself, and leased the iron works, where he had recently been an employee. Conducting the business with care and skill, he was soon enabled to purchase the property, and he is now its sole owner. In his foundry and machine shops he is doing a good business—in fact, the largest of any similar concern in his vicinity. He is fully prepared, with all necessary facilities and appliances, for the manufacture of light and heavy castings of every description, and makes a specialty of rolling mill, steel plant and blast furnace work. The machinery is run by a 40-horse power steam engine. The iron castings that are made at Mr. Mann's foundry are unsurpassed anywhere in the country, while the prices are quite moderate. The trade extends throughout the Middle, Western and Southern States.
     Mr. Mann married Janet McGilvray, who has proved a most estimable wife. Both he and she are active and substantial members of the Presbyterian Church. He is also active socially and musically, and exerts a good influence in his community.
Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
AMOS McBRIDE, who comes from one of the most worthy families of Belmont County, Ohio, is the leading blacksmith and wagonmaker of St. Clairsville, Ohio. Tie was born in Belmont County March 10, 1855, and is a son of Jonathan and Mary (Harrison) McBride.
     Jonathan McBride was born in Baltimore. Maryland, and came to Belmont County at an early day. He was a blacksmith and did all kinds of repairing. His death occurred in 1859, at the age of 49 years, 11 months and 10 days. He married Mary Harrison, who was born in England in 1811, and died in 1879. She came to this country with her parents in 1827. Her marriage with Mr. McBride resulted in eight children, namely: William H., who lives on a farm near St. Clairsville; Sirena, the wife of Franklin Ayers; Elizabeth, the wife of Henry Piper, a glazier and paper-hanger; Robert H., a farmer, of McPherson County, Kansas; Daniel H., who is in the implement business in St. Clairsville; Benjamin S., who is engaged in the grocery business; Mary Ann, deceased; and Amos, the subject of this sketch. Mrs. McBride was a very religious woman, and for many years was an active worker in the Presbyterian Church, as there was no Episcopal Church in the community when she settled there.
     Amos McBride attended the public schools of Belmont County, and learned the trade of a blacksmith and wagon-maker under his brother, Robert, and also under John Carlile. He began business for himself in 1876, doing general blacksmithing and wagon work. He often sends specimens of his work as far as Pittsburg and Wheeling, and has an extensive trade in the last-named city. He employs 20 men throughout the year, and his business is undoubtedly the largest of its kind in Belmont County. Mr. McBride is a very influential man, is possessed of unusually good business ability, and is ranked among the foremost citizens of the county.
     The subject of this sketch was united in marriage, October 4. 1893, with Josie A. Humphrey, a native of St. Clairsville, and a daughter of Alexander Humphrey. Her father was a fanner in Belmont County for many years. Mrs. McBride's brother, Benjamin C. Humphrey, lives in St. Clairsville, as well as her sisters, Martha and Maggie. Mr. McBride and his wife have two children, namely: Mary Gray and Benjamin A.
     Mr. and Mrs. McBride are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. McBride is a Mason, and a member of the blue lodge, in which he has held office. Mr. McBride has been twice a member of the City Council; being opposed to saloons, he was elected on the local option issue. He stands very high in the community, and is admired for his steadfastness of purpose and excellent principles.
Source: Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
BENJAMIN S. McBRIDE

Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page 526

DR. JAMES M. McCONAHEY - See Chapter XIII
Source: Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
JAMES F. McGILL, a prominent and successful citizen of Barnesville, Ohio, conducts a large blacksmith shop in this city, and also deals extensively in buggies, wagons and improved machinery of various kinds, being himself a practical machinist.
     Mr. McGill was born Sept. 9, 1859, on his father's farm in Warren township, Belmont County, Ohio.  He is a son of John and Mary (Moore) McGillJohn McGill was born in Belmont County, July 26, 1816, and died Feb. 14, 1896.  His widow till survives.  He was one of the leading farmers of Warren township, and the family has been held in high esteem there for a long period.
     James F. McGill obtained an excellent common school education in Warren township, and at the age of 21 years began to learn the blacksmith's trade.  In 1880, he began farming and combined the two lines of business until 1898, when he took trip to the far West.  He located in Oregon, where he worked at his trade until he came back to his native county, and settled in Barnesville, on Sept. 15, 1901.  Since that time he has prospered in his business enterprises in this county, and at his shop and ware-rooms carries a stock of goods valued at $2,500.
     Mr. McGill was married March 20, 1883, to Ida M. Outland, a daughter of one of Barnesville's representative citizens.  For children were born to this union, namely: Outland T., who died in infancy; Iva P.; Howard C, and Clinton S.  Mr. McGill is a member of the Knights of Pythias, in which he is active.  He us regarded as one of the progressive young business men of the city, and is considered an excellent mechanic and a trustworthy and honorable citizen.
Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
MATTHEW McDERMOTT, who is part owner and general manager of the McDermott Tool Works of Martin's Ferry, Ohio, is a practical machinist as well as a very successful man of business. Mr. McDermott was born in Ireland, March 2, 1849, and in August of the same year was taken to Canada by his parents, who located at Brantford, Ontario, 75 miles from Buffalo, New York.
     From his earliest childhood our subject has been interested in machinery. His father, Peter McDermott, was a wheelwright by trade, and Matthew has doubtless inherited much of his father's skill. One brother of our subject is a miner in Australia, and another, Patrick, is a molder employed in Canada. In 1866 the family moved to Erie, Pennsylvania, and there our subject went to work in the locomotive shops, although previous to this he had been employed in Canada on the Grand Trunk Railway. Since he was 18 years old he has resided in the United States, and for the past 35 years has followed the forging business, a portion of the time being also interested in the oil business. In 1890, associating himself with his brother-in-law, E. H. McDermott, of McKean County, Pennsylvania, the present works were established for the manufacture of oil-drilling tools and forgings of every description, and for the making of dies for enamel work, etc., their output covering everything in their line. E. H. McDermott is no blood relative of our subject, although bearing the same family name. The building occupied was originally intended for the construction of threshing machines, but the whole property is now equally owned by the two McDermotts. It is located in very favorable quarters, with excellent railroad facilities, on First street, opposite the ferry landing, and it requires some 30 workmen, one-half of these being skilled forgers and machinists.
     Our subject was married in Pennsylvania to Charlotte Saulsgiver, a lady of German descent. The seven children born to this union were as follows: Peter, who is the bookkeeper for the firm; Edward, who is engaged in the shops of the McDermott Tool Works; Henry, Emmett, Gerald, Reginald and Winnifred, the one daughter of the family. The beautiful family home is situated at Tiltonville, a suburb of Martin's Ferry. The religious connection of the family is with the Roman Catholic Church.
     Mr. McDermott belongs to the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association. He is known as a man of integrity and reliability, and his business success may be in a great measure attributed to these qualities. Since he has become manager of the works the trade has increased in a wonderful degree, making almost immediate enlargement a necessity. He is self-made and offers an example of what may be accomplished by the persistent effort of an industrious, self-respecting and energetic man.
Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
HON, A. T. McKELVEY, a distinguished citizen of Belmont County, was born March 23, 1844, in the city of Belfast, Ireland.
     Mr. McKelvey was brought by his parents to America when but five years of age and located in Wheeling, (West) Virginia, where he grew up to manhood.
     Mr. McKelvey obtained a common school education, but withdrew from school at 15 years of age to enter the Western Union telegraph office, where he served as "messenger boy," while studying telegraphy. When but 20 years of age, he was advanced to the responsible position of manager of the Wheeling office. Wheeling was at that time the headquarters of the Army of West Virginia and all the important dispatches that were exchanged between the headquarters of the army in the field and the commanding general at Washington passed through his hands. Wherefore his duties were not only arduous and exacting, but, in relation to the government, of a highly confidential character.
     Mr. McKelvey's health was greatly impaired by the close confinement and long hours of service which the stress of war entailed, and in 1890 he was obliged to resign his office and seek a restoration of health. To that end he purchased the fruit farm upon which he now resides.
     Since 1875 Mr. McKelvey has been prominently identified with the agricultural interests of the county. For a number of years he has been identified with the Belmont County Agricultural Society, serving that organization as superintendent of the horticultural department for four years and president of the society for two years.
      He was one of the charter members of the Belmont County Farmers' Club and has served that organization both as president and secretary. He was employed for many winters as a State speaker at "Farmers' Institutes" and has been a regular contributor to the agricultural press.
     Mr. McKelvey was chosen to represent Belmont County in the General Assembly of Ohio in 1887, and upon the expiration of his first term was re-elected for a second term.
     In 1891 he was appointed by Governor Campbell a delegate to represent Ohio in the Western States Commercial College that convened in Kansas City April 15th.
     He is also a member of the United States Military Telegraph Corps, having served the government in the capacity of military telegraph operator during the Civil War.
     In church matters he has been an active worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church since 1870, having served in the capacity of Sunday school superintendent for 26 consecutive years.
     Mr. McKelvey was married April 29, 1869, to Julia S. Irwin, of Wheeling, West Virginia, and the fruits of this marriage were five sons, the eldest of whom—William Thomson—has but recently passed away. The surviving children are Robert Irwin, Charles Leavitt, Clarence Burt and James Thoburn. Mrs. McKelvey is a lineal descendant of Jonathan Zane, one of the heroic defenders of Fort Henry.
~ Page 324 - Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
DAVID F. MCKELVEY.  The well-cultivated and finely improved farm of David F. McKelvey, located in section 32, Mead township, not only reflects great credit upon its owner, but also demonstrates the great agricultural possibilities of this part of Belmont County.  Mr. McKelvey is one of the prominent citizens of Mead township, possessing honorable ancestry, wealth and social position, and is also a representative man in political life.  David F. McKelvey was born Sept. 23, 1844, in Mead township, Belmont County, on a farm in the vicinity of his present property, the same now being operated by his youngest brother, Samuel P. McKelvey.  His parents were the late Samuel and Lucinda (Creamer) McKelvey, the latter of whom was also born in this county, a daughter of David Creamer, one of the early settlers of Belmont County and one of the very few permitted to see both the dawn and the close of a century.  His daughter, Mrs. McKelvey, died July 11, 1885.
     Samuel McKelvey was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, and after a voyage of six weeks on the Atlantic Ocean reached Belmont County in 1840, where he purchased a farm in Mead township, from Zachariah Hayes, its original owner, and here Mr. McKelvey died in 1888, when over 80 years of age, having survived all his brothers, viz.: James, David, George, Joseph, Thomas and Weir.  They had a sister, Elizabeth, who married a Mr. McCaffrey.  The five sons and four daughters of Samuel McKelvey and wife were: David F., of this biography; Robert, Thomas B. and Joseph O., of Mead township; Emma and Narcissa, living on the home farm; Mary E., the wife of John W. Neff, of Bellaire; and Samuel P., born in 1864, who is the capable operator of the home farm, an estate comprising 188 acres, lying in sections 31, 36 and 25.  It has been greatly improved under Mr. McKelvey's management.
     Reared on the farm, David F. McKelvey has always been deeply interested in agricultural pursuits and has spent the greater part of his life in Mead township.  He received a fair education and during his earlier years taught the country schools, but after marriage began his business career as a farmer.  For several years he farmed at Wegee, but for the past 20 years has been established on his present farm, a valuable tract of 140 acres, which he has successfully devoted to general farming and stock raising.  This land was originally the property of "Tommy" Miles, then the Porterfields, later the McMasters and then was purchased by McKelvey.
     Mar. 24, 1881, Mr. McKelvey was married to Ida J. Alexander, who was born in Pultney township, in 1856, and is a daughter of Samuel Alexander, a pioneer.   The two daughters born to this union are Mary and Lucy, both of whom belong to the home circle.  In politics Mr. McKelvey has been more than usually prominent and was but lately sent as a delegate to the Democratic Congressional Convention held at Martin's Ferry.  For the past five years he has served as township treasurer and is at present one of the school directors.  During its existence, he belonged to the Farmers' Alliance.  His religious connection is with the United Presbyterian Church.  As a commentary upon the great strides made in the county, Mr. McKelvey shows a well-preserved hoghouse on his farm, the same having served as his earliest school house.  With pride he can also point out the neat and attractive buildings now serving as educational edifices.
~ Page 821 - Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
GEORGE C. MCKELVEY, the well-known dairymen at Bellaire, Ohio, is also a farmer of recognized ability, residing at the present time on his place, formerly known as the Jeffers farm, four miles west of Bellaire. 
     Our subject was born in Mead township, Belmont County, in 1870, and is a son of George and Mahala (Stonebreaker) McKelvey.  His mother was also a native of Belmont County and descended from one of the early families of this section.  His demise took place in 1889.  Our subject's father was a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, and in company with several brothers, all young men, immigrated to America.  He commenced life in the United States as a day laborer on the National Pike, the great gateway between the East and the West, and to whose existence is due the early development of the State of Ohio.
     Some time later, in partnership with a brother George McKelvey, purchased a farm in Mead township.  In 1876 he removed with his family to Monroe County, Ohio, where he purchased two farms, and spent the remainder of his life in that vicinity.  He died in 1891 at the age of 81 years.  He and his wife had 12 children.  Several members of this family are now deceased.  Mrs. Lizzie Clegg, the twin sister of our subject, resides in Monroe County, and two other sisters, Mrs. Mary Walton and Mrs. Isabella Sykes, are residents of the same county.  Two other sisters, Mrs. Emily Holmes and Mrs. Nancy Iams, lives in West Virginia.  One sister resides near Sistersville and one other in Richie County, West Virginia.
     George C. McKelvey, from his sixth to his twentieth birthday, lived in Monroe County, where he was educated.  He had exceptional advantages in that line, and was the recipient of a normal school education.  After leaving school he taught four years, having received his first certificate when but 16 years old.  He has been twice married.  His first union was contracted with Miss Nettie McMahon, of Monroe County, who died in 1889, leaving one child, Forrest.  The present, Mrs. McKelvey was prior to her marriage with our subject, the widow of K. F. Jeffers.  To the second marriage have been born two children, Earl and Lucille.
    
About four years ago Mr. McKelvey opened a dairy business in Bellaire, and has been very successful in this business.  He has a large patronage, and quality rather than quantity is his prime consideration.  He also carries on general farming and stock raising.  His farm is well improved, having a comfortable residence and many other substantial buildings.  Socially, our subject is a member of Ionic Lodge, F. & A. M., and also Bellaire Chapter R. A. M.  He is a member of Mt. Zion M. E. Church.  In politics he has always been a stanch Democrat, and was his party's selection as a candidate for sheriff of Belmont County, and in a county which usually goes Republican by 2,000 votes he was defeated by only 615 votes.  He is well fitted for any position to which he aspires.
~ Page 432 - Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
JOSEPH O. MCKELVEY, a well-known farmer and prominent business man, residing in Mead township, Belmont County, was born Feb. 11, 1854, in this township, being a son of Samuel and Lucinda (Creamer) McKelvey, extended mentioned of whom will be found in another part of this volume.
     Mr. McKelvey grew up on the farm, obtaining a good common-school education, and remained at home until 1885, when he purchased his present farm in section 14, near Vallonia, in Mead township, this fine property being locally known as the old Beach farm.  It was purchased from Samuel Day and contains 157 acres, which has undergone wonderful improvements under the practical and energetic methods of Mr. McKelvey.  The buildings are of a very substantial character, the residence being large and convenient and all the surroundings testifying to thrift and excellent management.  Mr. McKelvey is a first-class farmer, understanding all agricultural subjects very thoroughly, and belongs to a family which has made Mead township noted for its fine farms.
     In 1885 Mr. McKelvey was married to Ida B. King, who was born in 1861 in Richland township, being a daughter of the late James King, and a family of five children has been born to this union, namely: James Curtis, aged 16 years; George Embra, aged 14; Lucille, aged 12; Florence B., aged 10; and Morris K., a little lad of two years.  The religious membership of the family is with the Bethel Presbyterian Church.
     In addition to his farming interest, Mr. McKelvey has been largely engaged in coal optioning, and during the past two years has optioned 16,000 acres in Mead, Smith and Washington township.  He has been a lifelong Democrat and has been township treasurer and township trustee, being eminently qualified to hold public office.  Formerly he was a member of the Order of United American Mechanics.  His time is absorbed in his different lines of activity and he is regarded as one of the very active and successful business men of his section of Belmont County.
~ Page 722 - Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
ROBERT MCKELVEY, a substantial farmer of Mead township, Belmont County, Ohio, and also a leading business citizen of Bellaire, was born in Mead township, in 1845, being a son of Samuel and Lucinda (Creamer) McKelvey.  The family is of Irish extraction; the grandfather, Robert McKelvey, died in Ireland, leaving a widow.  They resided near Omah, County Tyrone.  The maiden name of the grandmother was Boyd.  After the death of her husband, she came to America with one of her sons, Thomas McKelvey, who later made his home in Richland and Mead townships, Belmont County, and died, unmarried, in the latter township at the home of his brother Joseph.  The grandmother of our subject died when the latter was about 12 years old and was interred in the United Presbyterian Church Cemetery at Belmont.  The sons of Robert McKelvey were: James, who died in Monroe County, although formerly a resident of Belmont; Thomas; Robert; Samuel; George; Joseph and Weir.  David Creamer, the maternal grandfather, was a very early settler in Belmont County, driving across the mountains from Maryland and locating in Mead township, where his children were born.
     Robert McKelvey was well educated, supplementing what he learned in the local schools with what could be gained through attendance at college at Athens, and also received instruction at a select school at the Bethel Church.  For a period of 52 months prior to his marriage, he engaged in teaching and then located on his present farm, in 1873.  This property was purchased by Thomas McKelvey from a Mr. Welsh, during the Civil War.  In 1873 our subject married Mary J. Neff, daughter of Conrad Neff; she was born in 1856, in York township, this county.  The four children of this union are: Icy Della, who is the wife of Dr. J. C. Archer, of Neff's siding, Pultney township. Hova Emerson, who will complete his course in dentistry, at Columbus, Ohio, in March, 1903; Lawrence Earl, who is a very capable manager of his father's farm; and Samuel Neff, who has become an expert electrician, and has done much work on telephone lines.
     Mr. McKelvey has not been so engrossed in agricultural pursuits as to put aside business opportunities of considerable magnitude, and is very well known for his capacity in many lines of activity.  He is president of the Enterprise Telephone Company, a director in the People's Telephone Company and director in the Dollar Savings Bank of Bellaire, looking in the Dollar Savings Bank of Bellaire, looking at all times carefully after the interests of these concerns.  His prominence in politics has made him a successful candidate for many local offices; for nine years he has served as justice of the peace, he has been assessor and land appraiser, and was holding the responsible position of township treasurer, at the time he case his first vote, for a Democratic administration.  His fine farm of 210 acres reflects credit upon its excellent management while its substantial and comfortable buildings make an ideal home.  Formerly he was connected with the Farmers' Alliance movement.  With his wife and family, he attends the United Presbyterian Church, and few men in Mead township stand higher in public esteem.
~ Page 699 - Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
THOMAS J. MCKELVEY, a prominent and successful farmer and a highly esteemed and representative citizen of Belmont County, is located on a fine farm in section 27, Mead township.  He was born in Richland township on Oct. 1, 1847, a son of Joseph and Ann Jane (Boyd) McKelvey, the latter of whom was born 73 years ago in Belmont County, and is now a resident of Cambridge, Guernsey County.  Her father was William Boyd, who came as a pioneer to the county and who settled and cleared up a farm near Franklin station, where he resided until his death some years ago in advanced age.
     Joseph McKelvey was born in Ireland in 1821 and died in this county in February, 1891.  When but a lad of 17 years in 1838 he came to the United States, locating in Richland township, Belmont County, on land near our subject's present home, and there he lived until within two years of his death, this occurring in Bellaire, where he lived retired.  A Republican from principle, he always vigorously supported the party.  His brothers were: James, who removed from Belmont to Monroe County, and died there; Robert, who resided in Pipe Creek, near Businessburg, has a son, Thomas, who lives near Belmont; Thomas, for whom our subject was named, never married, but accumulated a large amount of land in Mead township and was a wealthy man at time of death; David was drowned in the Ohio River in young manhood; George who removed to Monroe County, his son George C. being the present Democratic candidate for sheriff of Belmont County; Samuel, Joseph; and Weir, who resided in both Belmont and Monroe counties, finally settling at Bellaire, where he died and where his sons are prominent citizens.
     A family of nine children were born to Joseph and Ann Jane McKelvey, as follows:  Thomas J., the eldest; Margaret Ann married Ross Hutchison and died in Kansas; Lizzie married A. D. King and resides near Glencoe; William resides in Smith township, near Glenco; Mary Bell married Clarence W. Neff and they reside near Neff's siding; Sarah Jane who married James Johnson, and lives in Arkansas;  Mattie married Joseph Duncan, a business man of Cleveland, Ohio; Robert was accidentally killed while following his business as mine inspector in Colorado, leaving his widow, a daughter of Isaiah Neff; and Eva, who died young.
     Mr. McKelvey of this record was reared in Richland Township, where he was educated and lived until his marriage, when he removed to Mead and purchased his present fine farm, located but a short distance north if Jet station.  Here he has a farm of 100 acres of the best kind of land, well adapted to general farming and stock raising, and here Mr. Kelsey has just completed a handsome new residence, fitted with every comfort for modern living.  In 1876 he married Ada L., a daughter of Peter Neff, and the two children born to this union are Clarence Neff, a druggist engaged with Charles Arnold in Bellaire, who was but recently married to Maggie Knox, of this county; and Roberta May, a young lady at home.  The religious membership of the family is in the United Presbyterian Church.  Mr. McKelsey is an active Republican.  He was formerly connected with the Farmers' Alliance movement.  As a first-class citizen, awake to the requirements of modern times, he is held in general esteem, and is respected and beloved in his locality as a good neighbor and exemplary member of society.
~ Page 672 - Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
ALEXANDER W. MCMASTER, a prominent and representative farmer of Belmont County, owning a fine, well cultivated farm in Mead township, is a worthy representative of one of the oldest families of this locality.  He was born in 1853 in Mead township, a son of Samuel and Sarah A. (Gregory) McMaster.
     Judge Robert McMaster, the grandfather of Alexander, came from Washington County, Pennsylvania, to Belmont County, Ohio, in 1817, accompanied by two children, Samuel and Fanny, the latter the widow of J. A. Weyer, of Powhatan.  Grandfather McMaster located in the section north of our subject's present fine farm, buying land in small tracts until he was owner of many acres.  At the time of his settlement in Mead township this part of the county was almost uninhabited, the Taylor and Miles families being about the only residents.  "Uncle" Tommy Miles is still recalled as one of the first residents of this section.  Ere long, however, other settlers came and the  cares and responsibilities of the community increased along with progress and improvement, and as a man of judgment and force of character, Robert McMaster was called upon to assume prominent positions, serving efficiently as coroner, justice of the peace and as Common Pleas judge.  He was a man eminently fitted for public life and this section is indebted to him for much of its early development.  His first wife died about 1850, and in 1851 he married Adeline Rankin, and the one son of this union is Dr. R. O. McMaster of the McMaster spent the last 15 years of her life after the death of her husband with Mrs. Dr. Piper.  Judge McMaster died in 1874, aged 83 years.  The children of his first marriage were: George, William, Andrew, Henry, Samuel, Fanny, Amanda, Margaret and Nancy.
     Samuel McMaster
was reared on his father's farm and remained there until sometime later than 1830, when he moved upon the farm occupied by his son, in section 31, range 3, - a tract of 152 acres.  Here Mr. McMaster resided until the fall of 1900, when he removed to the home of a daughter, Mrs. A. D. Creamer, living near Jacobsburg.  The mother of our subject was born in March, 1817, on the Duncan farm, near St. Clairsville, and removed in the "thirties" to Smith township, near Jacobsburg.  She was a daughter of Patrick and Ella (Dowler) Gregory, natives of Ireland, who died at Jacobsburg and both were interred in that vicinity.  The children of Mr. and Mrs. Gregory were: Thomas, Wesley, Pauline, Jimmy, Martha, Ella, Betsey, Sarah A. and Hannah.  Mrs. McMaster died in January, 1901.
     The marriage of the parents of our subject took place in 1834, and they had a family of seven sons and one daughter born to them namely: Robert,  who died in 1859, aged 22 years; William W., who resides on a farm near Glencoe, Richland township; John W., emigrated to Kansas in 1883 and lives near Wichita, in Sedgwick County, having lived on a part of the Miles land in this county, - he married Margaret Porterfield in 1864 and has five daughters and two sons: Dr. J. N., who is a resident of Centreville, Belmont County; Thomas J., who is a farmer in section 31, in Mead township; Albert, who died at the age of two years; Alexander, who is the subject of this record; and Emma S., who married A. D. Creamer and lives in Smith township.
     Alexander McMaster was reared on the home farm and educated in the district schools of Mead township.  It has been his pleasant lot to remain through life in this most desirable part of Mead township, having always been the home farmer.  In 1901 he erected his present handsome residence of eight rooms, which is one of the most complete and convenient houses in his locality.  Mr. McMaster has given his attention to general farming and stock raising, mainly standard breeds of cattle and sheep, and has been very successful in both lines.
     On April, 1877, Mr. McMaster was united in marriage with Melissa Taylor, who was born in October, 1853, and was reared in the same neighborhood as our subject, as daughter of Frazier and Lucy (Remley) Taylor the latter being a venerated member of her son-in-law's household.  The children born to our subject and wife consisted of three sons and three daughters, namely, Flora E., Ross A., Samuel, Ida, Roberta and Delbert.
    
In politics MR. McMaster has always been identified with the Democratic party and exerts a wide influence in its ranks in his section.  For 27 years his father admirably filled the office of justice of the peace and is a man of the utmost reliability and the highest citizenship.  Following his father's lead, our subject early became connected with the Masonic body,  Samuel McMaster was originally a member of Moriah Lodge, No. 105, but later became a charter member of Weyer Lodge of Centreville, and as he joined the organization in 1844, he is probably the oldest Mason in the county.  Our subject belongs to Weyer Lodge, No. 541, of Centreville, Ohio, and St. Clairsville Chapter, No. 17, R. A. M.  Mr. McMaster with his family attends the Methodist Church at Jacobsburg and is a liberal contributor to its support.  Few families in the township are better know or more generally esteemed.
~ Page 754 - Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
DR. J. N. MCMASTER.  A prominent member of an old Belmont County family is found in Dr. J. N. McMaster, who, since the fall of 1871, has been engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery at Centreville, Ohio, where he is also a leading and representative citizen.
     Dr. McMaster was born Dec. 30, 1844, on his father's farm in Mead township, being a son of Samuel and Sarah Ann (Gregory) McMaster, and a grandson of Robert McMaster, a pioneer from Pennsylvania, in 1817.  The father was born in 1813, and the mother in 1817; the former still survives, but the latter passed away in 1901.
     Our subject was reared on his father's estate and secured his education in the local schools, deciding early in life upon his intended career.  The outbreak of the Civil War changed, for a time, the current of his life, as on Oct. 7, 1862, he enlisted for service, entering the 9th Reg., Ohio Vol. Cav., participating in the campaign through the South under Generals Burnsides, Rauseau and the gallant Kilpatrick, who was his last commander.  His term of service ended July 16, 1865.  Returning home, he began the study of medicine in earnest, teaching school in order to provide the means, attending one term at West Alexander Academy during this time and in the winter of 1868-69 took his first lectures at Starling Medical College.  The winter of 1869-70 was spent at the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, where he graduated in March, 1870.  His first practice was in association with Dr. William Piper for 18 months, but in October, 1871, he located at Centreville, and this village ahs been his home during all the succeeding busy years.  At different times during this period, he has admitted partners, at one time Dr. G. L. Ramsey, and at another time the late Dr. Wilkinson, as the demands upon his strength and time have been two onerous.  Dr. McMaster built his comfortable home in 1876 and has his office located in the same building.
     On Nov. 27, 1871, our subject was united in marriage with Susan E. Neff, daughter of Henry and Matilda A. (Hall) Neff, the latter of whom died at the age of 49 years, in 1865, and the former of whom resides, aged 92 years, near Glencoe, where Mrs. McMaster was born July 18, 1846.  She is one of seven children born to her parents, namely: George Hall, born Sept. 10, 18455, died at the age of nine days; Susan Elizabeth, Mrs. McMaster; Dorcas Ann, born May 2, 1848, the wife of John A. Thompson, of St. Clairsville; Jane L., born Mar. 17, 1850, became Mrs. Helpbringer, and died recently near Glencoe; Vachel Singleton, born Aug. 14, 1852, died at the age of three years; Margaret M. C., born May 9, 1855, married Rev. T. H. Armstrong; and Henry Allen, born July 21, 1859, who resides on his farm in Smith township.  Mrs. McMaster is a cultivated lady and was educated at Steubenville.  Three children were born to the Doctor and his wife, namely: Elva Leonora, born Apr. 24, 1873, married Rev. A. Brown, a Methodist minister of Beverly, Ohio, and they have three children, Chase McMaster, Edna Elizabeth and Stowell Nelson.  Rev. William Henry McMaster was born Sept. 17, 1875, and is one of the most brilliant young men this locality has ever produced.  On July 27, 1899, he graduated at Mount Union, and graduated also at Drew University, where he took the fellowship prize of $250 in gold, which was to be sued for higher education.  On June 24, 1902, he graduated at the University of New York, having spent two years in teaching at Drew Theological School, and was ordained a deacon, Sept. 17, 1899, at the Eastern Ohio Conference and preached his first sermon on his 18th birthday.  For the past eight years he has been in the ministry and is now stationed at Elmhurst, New York.  The youngest son, Samuel Emerson McMaster, was born Sept. 22, 1881, taught school one year, graduated at Lebanon College in 1900, spent 1901 at the Ohio State University, and is now attending the Ohio Medical College at Columbus.
     The religious connection of the whole family is with the Methodist Church.  Dr. McMaster has served six terms as notary public, being first appointed by Governor Hoadly.  He is a member of Hess Post, G. A. R., Nov. 595, at Armstrong's Mills and was one of the charter members of Weyer Lode, F. & A. M., at Centreville, serving for 10 years as its secretary.  He belongs also to the Belmont County Medical Society and keeps abreast of the times in his profession.  Dr. McMaster is the accredited examiner for these insurance companies; The Mutual Benefit, of New Jersey; the Home, of New York; the Michigan Mutual, of Detroit; the New York Life; and the Prudential.
~ Page 675 - Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 ( Portrait available)
SAMUEL MCMASTER.  Very many of the leading old families of Belmont County were founded in this locality by sturdy pioneers from Pennsylvania, who came hither in the early days of its settlement to secure homes for their large number of children, and such was the case with the McMaster family, so well and favorably known.
     Robert McMaster was born in Adams County, Pennsylvania, and married Sarah Meeks, who was born across the line, in Washington County, in the same State, and with their children, in 1817, they migrated to Belmont County, Ohio, where Robert purchased a tract of 80 acres from Frazier Taylor, in Mead township, near Jacobsburg.  It was probably somewhat improved at the time, as it had been originally the property of the well-known Thomas Miles.  Later, Robert McMaster secured 70 acres in Smith township, near Jacobsburg, and here both he and wife died, the latter in February, 1850, at the age of 52 years, and the former in 1874, at the age of 84 years.  They had a family of five sons and four daughters born to them, all of whom have shown a remarkable longevity, as is notable in the case of the subject of this sketch, Samuel McMaster, the eldest of the family, who was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, on Dec. 6, 1813.  The others were as follows; Frances, now Mrs. Weyer, of Powhatan, Belmont County, was born in 1815, also in Pennsylvania; Nancy was born in 1817 and has been deceased many years; Andrew, born in 1818, has also been deceased for a long period; Dr. William was born in 1820, and for some 20 years practiced medicine and conducted a drug store at Bellaire, where he died; George was born in 1822, learned the trade of saddler at St. Clairsville, and practiced the same at Bellaire and Wheeling, where he died; Margaret was born in 1824, married Harvey Porterfield, and died in 1852, of cholera, at Bellaire; Mary Ann was born in 1826, married first, Thomas Fulton, second, William Allen, and, third, William Hoskinson, and resides, a widow, with her daughter at Moundsville; and Henry, born in 1829, who follows a tailoring business at Bellaire.
     Our venerable subject has been an active man through many years of his life, engaged in coopering, cobbling, but mainly in farming, and owned the farm where A. W. McMaster now resides.  The old home in which he and wife went to housekeeping, in 1835, was destroyed by fire, in 1900, together with contents greatly valued by the family.  Mr. McMaster was married Nov. 5, 1835, at Jacobsburg, to Sarah Ann Gregory, who was born near St. Clairsville in 1817, and died Jan. 24, 1901, after a happy married life of 65 years.  The children of this union were: Robert Clark, born Sept. 8, 1836, married Angeline Simpson on Jan. 27, 1859, and died Mar. 24, 1859; William W., born Mar. 22, 1838, married Isabel McNiece and they live near Glencoe on a farm, with children - Lizzie, Sadie, Margaret, Annie, Carrie, and  Susan, Burtie May being deceased; John W., born July 16, 1841, married Margaret Porterfield and resides in Kansas, their children being Ella, Addie, Emma, Samuel, Minnie, James and Alice; Dr. James N., born Dec. 30, 1844; Thomas J., born Nov. 13, 1846; Samuel A., born May 12, 1851, died Nov. 17, 1852; Alexander W. was born Sept. 30, 1853; and Sarah E., born Oct. 19, 1860, married Sept. 8, 1881.  Atwell D. Creamer, born in Mead township May 9, 1861, and they reside on a farm in Smith township, near Jacobsburg, and have children - Everett, Ernest N., Ila Gail, Susan and Ethel.  In politics Mr. McMaster has always supported the Democratic party and has been called upon to fill many of the township offices, having been supervisor and township clerk, and for 27 years justice of the peace, administering this office continuously for 21 years.  His Masonic connection dates back to 1843, when he was received into Moriah Lodge, now of Powhatan, but then of Jacobsburg, and he was a charter member of Weyer Lodge at Centreville, in Smith township.  Mr. McMaster has never attached himself to any religious body, although his attendance has always been upon Presbyterian services, with his wife.  He has contributed to the building of both Presbyterian and Methodist churches, and has always supported reformatory and moral laws.
~ Page 684 - Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
THOMAS J. MCMASTER, a well-known farmer and prominent and representative citizen of Belmont County, as well as a member of one of its oldest families, was born Nov. 13, 1846, in Mead township, a son of Samuel and Sarah Ann (Gregory) McMaster, the former of whom still survives at the age of 89 years, coming from a sturdy stock noted for its longevity.
     The boyhood of Mr. McMaster was spent in Mead township, where he attended school and remained until the age of 24 years, serving in the meantime, during the Civil War, in Battery A, 1st West Virginia Light Artillery, from 1864 until the close of hostilities.  In 1870 he removed to Monroe County, buying a farm near Newcastle, in Green township, and remained engaged there until the fall of 1900, when he returned to Belmont County and purchased his present fine land in the southwestern part of Mead township, from the Dollar Savings Bank Company of St. Clairsville.  This was originally a part of the old T. H. Ramsey estate.  Mr. McMaster was 190 acres, which is well adapted to farming, and which he has placed in the finest possible condition.
     In 1868 Mr. McMaster was married to Maggie Griffith, born in 1846, a daughter of William and Christina (Gray) Griffith, who came from Pennsylvania to Belmont County 55 years ago and located in Smith township, near Jacobsburg.  A family of eight children has been born to our subject and his wife, as follows: Robert a., who died in 1900, at the age of 30 years; William S. is a farmer near Jacobsburg, married Miss McKelvey; James A. resides in Mead township; Mary is the wife of George Taylor and they reside at Banksville, near Pittsburg; and Charles A., Alice R., Homer Eugene, and Maud, at home.
     Politically Mr. McMaster has always been identified with the Democratic party.  He has been one of the solid, reliable men who are always called upon in a community to accept public trusts, and has served two terms of six years as justice of the peace and three terms as trustee of Monroe County.  In fraternal life he has always been prominent, belonging to Monroe Lodge, No. 189, F. & A. M., of Woodsfield, and the I. O. O. F. lodge at the same place.  Mrs. McMaster is a member of the Presbyterian Church and Mr. McMaster inclines in the same direction, liberally giving support.  He belongs to the G. A. R.  Mr. McMaster is held in very high esteem in his neighborhood and is justly regarded one of the representative citizens.  His home is one of the most attractive in Mead township, and his hospitality is extended to a wide circle of friends.
~ Page 690 - Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
DR. WILLIAM MCMASTERS was a native of Belmont County.  After completing his medical studies, he practiced for a time in Centreville, Ohio.  He subsequently removed to Bellaire, purchased a drug store, and continued in that business the rest of his years.  He was an honest man.
~ Page 149 - Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
JAMES BATTELLE McMILLEN, M. D., a successful young physician of Somerton, Ohio, is rapidly coming to the front in his profession. He was born at Bethesda, Ohio, in 1872, and is a son of Francis and Mary (Scatterday) McMillen.
The McMillen family came originally from Pennsylvania in the person of James McMillan, the grandfather, who was an early pioneer, settling at first in Pultney, but later in Richland township. In that township the Doctor's parents still live, his father a well preserved man of 77 years, who is a representative farmer of that locality. He supports the Republican party in politics, and he has long been a leading member of the Methodist Church. His wife was a daughter of Euclid and Deborah Scatterday, and was born in Belmont County. She is a valued member of the Methodist Church, and bears well her 70 years. A family of six children was born to these parents, namely, Sansom E., deceased; Euclid S., a manufacturer, at Bethesda; James B., of this sketch; Elizabeth A., and Homer R., at home.
     Dr. McMillen attended the Richland township schools and the St. Clairsville High School and then engaged in teaching for a period of five years, in the meantime preparing for medical college. In 1897 he entered Starling Medical College, at Columbus, Ohio, and graduated with credit in April, 1901. He first entered into a partnership with Dr. J. W. Piper at Bethesda, and later came to Somerton, where he has practiced with success ever since. Dr. McMillen is well equipped for his profession, pays close attention to it and has gained the confidence of the community.
     On June 25, 1902, Dr. McMillen was united in marriage with Alice B. Lentz, who was born in Richland township in 1875, a daughter of Simon and Annie Lentz. Both the Doctor and his wife are members of the Methodist Church. He is connected with the local orders of Knights of Pythias and Odd Fellows. In politics he is a stanch Republican.
Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
WILLIAM McNICHOLS, a substantial farmer and most highly esteemed resident of Goshen township, Belmont Co., owning one of the most desirable farms of this locality, was born October 23, 1835, in Goshen township.
     Joseph McNichols, his father, was one the best known and most respected citizens of the township. He died in 1892 at the age of 84 years. For 27 years he had followed the trade of gunsmith, on his farm, south of Belmont, in addition to operating a large property. He was a man well know for his integrity and for his stanch adherence to the Republican party. His first marriage was to Charity Newsom, a daughter of Jordan Newsom, a staid and most respected Friend, who left his home in North Carolina and entered land in Ohio, wishing to live and rear his family in a Free State. His wife belonged to the old Morris family of South Carolina. Mr. Newsom was one of the first settlers in the township and built the brick house, which our subject now occupies, but he was killed prior to its completion. Our subject bought the farm in 1864, and has resided here since the spring of 1865. Although the old mansion was erected over 80 years ago, it is fairly well preserved, and an observant eye can see the print of the trowel on the mortar at the present time. It evidently was no contract work. Our subject's mother died 42 years ago, and his step-mother resides at Bethesda. A family of four children was reared to maturity, and five others died young, - Isaac, Joseph H., Asa and two daughters. Those who were reared were: William, Mary, Thomas C., and Sarah A. Mary was born in 1838 and married Elmore Phillips. They live on her father's farm for some years, later moved to the farm of Mr. Phillips' father, and later bought a farm at Mount Olivet, where Mrs. Phillips died 34 years ago. Mr. Phillips moved to Harrison Co., Ohio, where he now lives.
     The children of Mr. and Mrs. Phillips are as follows: Josephine, who married Oscar Hibbs, who has been in business at Piedmont for some years; Alonzo C., a resident of Northern Ohio; Ida B. and Jessie E., all having been wards of their uncle, William.  Thomas C. McNichols resides at Bethesda, owns a farm south of Belmont, one in Indiana, and is a surveyor and an unusually fine mathematician. Sarah never married and resides most comfortably at Bethesda.
     Mr. McNichols was reared on the farm and was educated in the common schools. At the age of 22 he was united in marriage to Nancy J. Russell, a daughter of Samuel Russell; she was born and reared in this vicinity, a member of one of the oldest families. She lived to the age of 62 years, dying June 19, 1902, a most estimable, Christian wife and mother. The nine living children of our subject are: Stephen, who is a traveling salesman, married Laura White, has one son, Myron, and resides at Morristown; Emma, who married John Murphy, a merchant at Bethesda, and has these children, - Viola, Oscar, Dorothy and Orville; Viola, who married Lincoln H. Thrall, who is in the cigar business at Bethesda, and they have two children, - Gail and Faye; Frank, who is in business with Mr. Thrall, married Hattie Patterson and they have three children, - Artie, Gertrude and Myrtle; Charles, who is a farmer, Unmarried; and Ross, Mary Alice, Joseph and Ella, who are at home. William died at the age of 21 years. The children are attendants at the Baptist Church. Mr. McNichols has always been generous in his support of all moral movements and religious bodies, but he has never formally connected himself with any, leaning perhaps to the simplicity of belief of his Quakers mother.  Since 1867 he has been connected with the Masonic fraternity, belonging to the local lodge at Barnesville.  In politics he has been a life-long Republican, although he has never consented to act in any official position.
     Mr. McNichols owns 180½ acres of land in Goshen township, situated in sections 32 and 26, which he has devoted to general farming.  Formerly he dealt in stock, probably for 27 years, during 13 of which he was in partnership with Silas Bailey.   On the death of his father, much care and responsibility devolved upon him and for quite a period he was engaged in the settling of the estate.  Mr. McNichols stands before his fellow citizens as a man of upright character and peaceable and useful life, and is held in universal esteem.
~Page 732
- Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
JAMES H. MEEK, M. D., a practicing physician of Belmont County, Ohio, who has won the confidence and esteem of the citizens of Glencoe. both personally and professionally, was born in Richland township, this county, in 1862, a son of George and Elizabeth (Ault) Meek, both residents of Richland township.
     George Meek, the father of Dr. Meek, has been a most highly esteemed citizen of this township through more than 75 years. He has been an agriculturist all through his active life, but now lives retired, enjoying the ease won by his early industry. The mother of our subject was born in Smith township, about 1820, a daughter of Christopher Ault. Both she and husband are consistent members of the Methodist Church. Mr. Meek has been a life-long Democrat. They are the parents of ten children, namely: Wilmot C., deceased; Homer H., employed in a store in Trinidad, Colorado; Arlena, the wife of Edward Welsh, of Missouri; George C., an undertaker, in Pennsylvania; James H., of this sketch; Anna B., the wife of John P. Hess, of Minnesota; Edward D. and Ella M., at home; and Theresa and Elizabeth, deceased.
     Dr. Meek acquired his primary education at the Oak Ridge district school, and began his medical study under Dr. J. A. Clark, of Glencoe. In T895 he entered the Ohio Medical College, from which he graduated on April 5. 1898. His first location and practice were at Smithfield, in Jefferson County, Ohio, where he remained for eight months and then came to Glencoe, where he has been established ever since, building up a permanent and satisfactory practice. He is a member of the Belmont County Medical Association, and also belongs to the Masonic fraternity.
     On August 29, 1900, Dr. Meek was married to Lizzie J. Thompson, a daughter of Thomas and Jemima Thompson, who was born in 1870, in Pease township. Belmont County. They had one bright little son, James C., who was born on November 5, 1901, but whom they lost on June 7, 1902. Both the Doctor and wife are members of the Methodist Church, and are prominent in social circles.
Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
HUGH M. MERRITT, who laid out the town of Merritt, in Belmont County, Ohio, is a native of Pultney township, which is still his home, having been born July 19, 1842, within two miles of his present residence.  He is a son of Robert and Eveline (Milligan) Merritt and grandson of William and Mary (Long) Merritt.
     William Merritt
was born in 1780 and followed farming as his vocation through life.  He purchased the farm upon which the Suburban Brick Works are located, near Bellaire, and lived there until his death, which took place in his 55th year, Jan. 12, 1835.  Dec. 18, 1806, he was united in marriage with Mary Long, who was born Sept. 7, 1783, and died Feb. 21, 1840, in her 57th year.
     The paternal grandparents of our subject had seven children, namely: Mary, Robert, Harriet, James L., Sarah Ann, Elizabeth L., and Benjamin A.  Mary was born Dec. 1, 1807, and lived to the advanced age of 80 years.  She married George Milligan on the 18th day of Nov, 1824.  They moved into West Virginia, locating for a time near Triadelphia and they reared a large family.  In later years they moved to a farm near Mt. Vernon, where both spent their last years.  Harriet was born Jan. 16, 1812, and died at the early age of three years.  James L. was born June 17, 1814, and died June 15, 1815.  Sarah Ann was born Jan. 20, 1818, and her death took place Apr. 23, 1879.  She married John W. Milligan and they resided some years in Harrison County, but subsequently returned and purchased the old homestead, known as the George Robinson farm, which was their home until death.  Elizabeth L. was born Apr. 20, 1821.  Benjamin A. was born Sept. 2, 1825, and came to his death by drowning in McMechen's Creek, May 23, 1850.  He married Mary Thomas.
     Robert Merritt
, the father of our subject, was born Mar. 6, 1809, and died July 26, 1884.  On the 18th day of Oct., 1831, he was joined in marriage with Eveline Milligan; she was born Feb. 19, 1812, and died Jan. 11, 1901.  About 1847 Robert Merritt moved with his family to the farm just east of subject's present home, and the same is now owned by Charles Rosser.  There the father engaged in farming and reared a large family.  The children were as follows:  Mary A., Eliza Ruth, James L., Hannah J., William W., Hugh M., Sarah E., Josiah, Benjamin A. and Robert Mitchell
     Mary A. is the widow of Samuel Alexander, who died about 1883.  During his life they lived at the Robert Alexander homestead, which is still the home of the widow.  Eliza Ruth married Alfred Stroman.  They lived in Southern Illinois until the death of her husband.  Mrs. Stroman has returned to her old home, but now resides on the Hutchison place in Pultney township, near St. Clairsville.  James L., who was a minister of the Presbyterian faith for many years, died in 1883, leaving a widow, who resides in California.
     Hannah J. is the wife of James W. Mellott, of Richland township, near Glencoe.  William W., died in 1862 during the Civil War, at Tuscumbia, Alabama, at the early age of 22 years.  Sarah E. died in 1864, aged 20 years.  Josiah died in 1890, aged 40 years.  He was twice married, and left a widow, who resides in Atlantic, Iowa.  His death took place near Griswold, Iowa.  Benjamin A., who lived in Nebraska and was a candidate for Representative at the time of his death, was killed in Cass County, Iowa, in 1894.  Robert Mitchell is single and resides in California.
     Hugh M. Merritt, from his fifth year, was reared on the old homestead, of which he now owns a part.  For several years he lived in the old log house, which was over a century old.  His farm consisted of 77 acres of land adjacent to the town of Merritt, which he laid out.  He has added many improvements to his place, now having a nice residence and a fine set of farm buildings.  He has devoted his life exclusively to his farming interests.  He has been twice married.  His first marriage took place Mar. 24, 1869, with Sarah V. Payne.  She was a native of Frederick County, Virginia, and a daughter of Joseph E. and Sarah A. C. Payne.  She died Jan. 7, 1873, leaving three children: Anna Roberta, Joseph William, and Sarah E. V.
     Anna Roberta
was born Apr. 29, 1870.  She married William Crim, of Frederick County, Virginia, and they have two children, Lois and Hugh M.   Joseph William was born July 26, 1871, and resides near our subject.  He married Carrie Dunlap and they have reared four children.  The eldest two, George William and Charles Robert, are twins, and the others are Joseph P. and Helen.  Sarah E. V. was born Dec. 13, 1872.  She was the wife of Charles Ridgeway, of Berkeley County, Virginia, and they have three children.
     April 29, 1875, Mr. Merritt was joined in marriage with Rachel A. Fisher, daughter of Louis and Hannah Fisher, of Smith township.  This marriage is without issue, and the present Mrs. Merritt was born May 3, 1845.  Politically our subject is firm in his allegiance to the Democratic party.  The family attend the First Presbyterian Church of Bellaire.
~ Page 468 - Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
WILLIAM A. MERRITT, a representative farmer and popular citizen of Wheeling township, Belmont County, Ohio, was born on the fine farm which he now owns and operates, on Apr. 23, 1857, a son of James F. Merritt, who died when William A. was but two years of age.
     Daniel Merritt, the great-grandfather of our subject, entered 640 acres of land from the government in 1805, and our subject has in his possession the patent deed for the same, bearing the signatures of President Jefferson and Secretary of State James Madison.  Daniel Merritt served as an officer through the Revolutionary War, and left his sword and belt to his descendants.  These were in the possession of our subject's father, but after his death, on Mar. 18, 1859, were partially destroyed by fire.  The sword with its silver mountings was turned into a corn-cutter and into silver rings, both now lost.  Daniel Merritt was born Aug. 15, 1750, and died on this farm after living upon it some 20 years; his brother, who was a surveyor, platted it.  He reared a family of six children, three sons and three daughters, by his wife, Nancy Merritt, who was born Feb. 2, 1762.  These children were: Polly, Betsey, Plesy, John, William and Josiah.
     John Merritt
, son of Daniel and grand-father of our subject, was born May 7, 1797, married Sarah Ferguson and died on this farm on Jan. 11, 1841.  Their children were the following: James F., born Feb. 18, 1820; Daniel born Nov. 27, 1821; Anna, born Mar. 4, 1824; Nancy, born May 21, 1826; and Josiah, born Aug. 31, 1828.  John's wife, Sarah, died Oct. 7, 1834, and he married Margaret Armstrong October 15, 1835, and these children were born: Sarah, born July 18, 1836; Mary Jane, born Mar. 18, 1840; and John.
     James Merritt, the father of our subject, married Christina Lodge on May 14, 1846, and the children born to this union were:  Tamzen, born May 9, 1847, married Byron Hoge, of Wheeling township, and died Oct. 15, 1889, leaving three sons, James B., Arthur W., and Frank G., all of whom are in business in Cleveland; Sarah C., born Aug. 15, 1850, resides with our subject, William A., of this sketch.
     William A. Merritt is one of the best-known and most highly respected citizens of Wheeling township, not only on account of his excellence as a farmer, but also for those qualities which go to make a reliable and stable man, one of energy, honesty, integrity and good-fellowship.  His home is one of the best improved in the township, and he is justly proud of his fine buildings and high-grade stock.  In politics he is a Republican, differing from his father, and has held many of the county offices, has been school director for nine years and is clerk of the board; he was also his party's candidate for director of the County Infirmary, and was elected Nov. 4, 1902, with 1,700 majority.
     On Mar. 18, 1891, Mr. Merritt was united in marriage with Sarah Jane Bentley, daughter of Solomon and Eleanor Bentley, of Richland township, and the children born to this union are: Tamzen C., born Sept. 18, 1892; Anna E., born May 15, 1894; James B., born Oct. 26, 1898; and William L. born Jan. 31, 1900.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Merritt belong to the Presbyterian Church.  His land is very valuable, being underlaid with several veins of coal, while the third oil well of this section is located here, the derrick for its operation being in course of construction.
Source: Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page 653
JOHN MINTIER, of Wheeling township, Belmont County, is one of those enterprising men who have devoted their energies to the development of the agricultural resources of this section. For fully 40 years he has worked on his present attractive farm, each year making new improvements and introducing some progressive measure in his farming, so that his place is now one of the best paying pieces of property in the vicinity.
     Mr. Mintier was born near the Pine Fork Church, in Jefferson County, Ohio, June 13, 1827, and when quite young moved with his parents to Hammondsville. There in the public schools he procured his education, developing habits of industry and self-reliance, which have followed him through life. After leaving school there, he entered upon the active duties of life, remaining in the place until he was 26 years old. He then moved to Guernsey County, where for two years he continued his labors. Believing he might better his fortunes by making a decided change, he next moved to the State of Iowa, where he remained for five years, earning for himself and family a comfortable living, and laying by a little something for a rainy day. In 1862, however, he returned to Ohio, and here in Wheeling township, Belmont County, invested his savings in a farm which he considered a place worth having. Setting to work on it with energy and determination, he soon found he had not overestimated its value, as the land proved to be productive and the crops all that he could desire. He has from year to year opened new sections of it, and, as has been said, greatly improved it in many respects. He keeps himself well informed upon the latest methods of agriculture, and is considered one of the most progressive and at the same time practical farmers in the county. The farm embraces 102½ acres and is well stocked.
      September 15, 1853, Mr. Mintier married Mary J. Henderson, one of 14 children born to Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Henderson, of Belmont County. Mrs. Mintier is a cultivated woman, who received a good common school education, and before her marriage taught school for a couple of terms. By this union they have had seven children, one of whom, an infant daughter, died when only three days old. Robert H., born in Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1856, married Agnes Anderson, and, about 22 years ago, went to Los Angeles, California, where he has since been engaged as a contractor and carpenter.  He has one child. Martha, born in 1857, was married in 1880 to William Stiles. She died in Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1889. John, born in 1859, now a resident of Shepherdstown and engaged in the management of the home farm, married Lizzie Flowers and has one child. Park Nichol, born in 1861. now a resident of Bloomfield station, married Ella Hervey, and they have three children. Mary Elizabeth, born in 1865, who never married, is now deceased. William Alexander, born in 1869, graduated from Franklin College in 1895, and from the U. P. Theological Seminary, at Allegheny, Pennsylvania, in 1898, and officiated as pastor of a church in Cochranton, Crawford County, Pennsylvania, until 1902, and is now living near Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. He married Pearl McCune, and they have had two children. Mr. Mintier and his wife are members of the United Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a Republican.
Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
ALFRED H. MITCHELL, senior member of the legal firm of A. H. & W. Mitchell, of St. Clairsville, Ohio, is one of the city's leading citizens and representative attorneys.
     The birth of Mr. Mitchell took place in Richland township, Belmont County, Ohio, May 31, 1849, and he is a son of David and Anna (Hatcher) Mitchell, who settled in Belmont County in 1830.
     Nathaniel Mitchell, his great-grandfather, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and for three years belonged to that cordon of officers who formed the body guard of General Washington. Nathaniel's son, James, was a farmer in Pennsylvania, in Washington County, where his son, David Mitchell, was born in 1805. In 1830 David Mitchell settled in Richland township, Belmont County, where he engaged in farming, and where his death occurred in 1892. He married Anna Hatcher, who lived to the age of 72 years. They had a family of seven children, as follows: Elizabeth, Johnston, Jesse P., Joshua, Alfred H., Wilson, and Emmett D. Elizabeth is the wife of T. W. Bentley, of Loydsville, Ohio. Johnston was killed in the battle of Jonesboro, Georgia, September 1, 1864. Jesse P. resides in Columbus, Ohio. Joshua died at an early age. Wilson, who was born in 1851, taught school for eight years, studied law, was admitted to the bar in 1877, and is the junior member of the legal firm mentioned above. He practiced until 1899, and was then made cashier of the Dollar Savings Bank, in which capacity he still serves. He married Ella Hewetson, and they have two sons, Alfred H., Jr., and David W. Emmett D. is a resident of Kinsley. Kansas.
     Alfred H. Mitchell received an excellent common school education, and grew to manhood with those attributes which have developed an admirable type of man. For four years after completing his studies he taught school and at the same time studied his law books, under the supervision of Capt. Lorenzo Danford and E. E. Kennon, of St. Clairsville, with such effect that he was admitted to the Belmont County bar in September, 1871, and since that time has enjoyed a lucrative practice in St. Clairsville. Mr. Mitchell was married September 23, 1875, to Mary A. Wilkinson, a daughter of William Wilkinson, of Smith township, Belmont County, and they have one son,—Herbert W.   Mr. Mitchell has been recognized as one of the leading members of his profession, and served the county as prosecuting attorney from 1880 to 1885. His business enterprise has been shown in a number of instances, notably in assisting to found the Dollar Savings Bank. of St. Clairsville, which was organized in 1895. His political opinions are in accord with the Republican party. Fraternally, he is a Mason. Mr. Mitchell belongs to a high type of citizenship, and is thoroughly representative of the best element of the community. He is a man of honor and integrity, and one who serves the town and county to the best of his ability.
Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903

ROBERT C. MONTGOMERY.  Among the leading business men of Martin's Ferry is Robert C. Montgomery, who conducts a first class grocery, located at No. 729 Broadway.  Mr. Montgomery was born in Marshall County, West Virginia, Jan. 90, 1869, being a son of Joseph B. and Elizabeth A. (Caswell) Montgomery.  The former was born in West Virginia, while the latter was a native of Massachusetts.
     The grandparents of Mr. Montgomery were William and Elizabeth (Blakemore) Montgomery, both of whom were born in West Virginia, when the State was still a part of the Old Dominion.  William Montgomery was a cooper by trade, and in his shop is four sons learned the business.  His children were as follows:  George, Joseph B., James, William, Emma, Elizabeth, Amanda, Mary, Oella and Henrietta.  George served three years in the Civil War, participated in many battles, was once severely wounded in the shoulder.  George lives ion Wheeling Island.  James died at the age of 24 years.  William resides at Martin's Ferry and is employed at the tin mill.  Emma J. is the widow of John Hawn and resides in Wheeling.  Elizabeth is the widow of Josiah Caswell who was the brother of Robert C. Montgomery's mother.  Amanda married Albert Ferguson, and both are deceased.  Mary married Harry Jump, who is engaged in the dry goods business at Martin's Ferry.  Oella married Charles Well and resides on the Island.  Henrietta died at the age of six years.  William Montgomery, who was one of the early settlers in West Virginia, and was born near Shepherdstown, in 1815, and was a farmer by occupation.  In 1858 he married Elizabeth Blakemore, who died in 1888.
     Joseph B. Montgomery, the father of our subject, was born in Benwood, Marshall County.  (West) Virginia, in 1844.  In his early years he followed a coopering business, machinery which at present does all that line of work not having been invented.  He was so occupied until his enlistment, in 1864, in the 5th Reg., Ohio Vol. Cav., for service in the Civil War.  Mr. Montgomery took part in the Atlanta campaign under Sherman, went with the army to the sea and participated in the review at Washington, where he was discharged in October, 1865, having served almost two years.  Upon his return to his home, he resumed his trade, at which he worked until his marriage, in 1868.  He then purchased a farm in Marshall County and followed the life of an agriculturist for 15 years.  In 1884 he removed to Martin's Ferry and erected the first business house in that part of the city known as "The Orchard," this building being the one now occupied by his son.  Mr. Montgomery thoroughly identified himself with that part of the city.  In 1887 he was elected a member of the School Board and during one term was its president.  In 1888 he was elected a member of the City council from the Third Ward and served in that body for three terms, during two of which he was its president.
     On May 7, 1868, Mr. Montgomery was married to Margaret Elizabeth Caswell, who was born Mar. 7, 1849, in Massachusetts, a daughter of Robert and Roanna Caswell, both natives of the same State, who migrated to (West) Virginia in 1852.  Mr. Caswell was  born May 12, 1818, and his wife May 23, 1818, and the former died in 1854, at the age of 36, and the latter June 25, 1871, at the age of 53 years.  Mr. Montgomery was the youngest of three children, and is the only survivor.  She had two brothers.  Josiah, who followed his father's trade of nailer, lived to be 33 years of age.  On Jan. 1, 1864, he froze his feet so seriously that he suffered through the remainder of his life from this injury.  He married the sister of J. B. Montgomery.  The second brother, Elijah, was also a nailer by trade.  He married Anna Trainer, daughter of Rev. Thomas Harvey Trainer, of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Wheeling.  Mrs. Montgomery was long a consistent member of this religious body in this locality and is now connected with the Emory Methodist Church at Pittsburg, of which city she is a resident.  J. B. Montgomery was trustee and a member of the board of stewards of the Methodist Church at Martin's Ferry and gave freely of his time and money to further its interests.  He was of a sunny nature, very genial and companionable, true to every trust and a most loyal and patriotic citizen.  His loyalty was tested at a time and in a State which gave meaning to the word patriotism.  Mr. Montgomery died Oct. 16, 1899.
     Robert C. Montgomery was educated in the schools of Marshall County and later took a business course in Frasher's Business College, at Wheeling.  Upon completing his school days, April 1, 1884, he entered his father's grocery store at Martin's Ferry, and was taken into partnership in 1895, the firm style becoming J. B. Montgomery & Son His father retired from the business in 1899, since which time the business has been conducted under the name of R. C. Montgomery.  Mr. Montgomery is the older of two children, his brother Howard D. being a successful attorney in Pittsburg.  Mr. Montgomery, through his long experience, has become thoroughly posted on the grocery trade and conducts a first -class store, dealing largely in fresh fruits and vegetables as well as choice canned goods.  His stock is displayed in a very attractive manner, his business receives his individual attention, and he counts among his patrons the most exacting trade of this city.
     On Mar. 27, 1895, Mr. Montgomery was united in marriage with Rose B. Maxwell, a native of West Virginia, who is a daughter of John D. Maxwell and a member of the following family:  Maggie, who is Mrs. Ross Lake; Alexander O., James P., George D. and Edward, all residing on the Island.  To Mr. and Mrs. Montgomery a family of three children has been born, namely: Elizabeth L., Joseph B. and Robert M.  The religious connection of the family is with the Methodist Church.  Mr. Montgomery is valued in various business activities of the city and has just been elected a trustee of the Electric Light Company.  In fraternal association, he belongs to the K. of P., Uniform Bank, and is captain of Ohio City Company, No. 48, and has passed through all the chairs in the order; he also belongs to the Maccabees.  In political sentiment he is an ardent Republican and has served as delegate to county conventions.  He is a charter member of the Vigilant Hose Company.
~ Page 729 - Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903

FRANCIS MOORE is a well-known and highly respected citizen of Barnesville, Ohio, who conducts a first-class blacksmith shop in this city. He was born in Barnesville. August 7, 1856, and is a son of William R. and Mary E. (Hall) Moore.
     William R. Moore, who died on March 3, 1875, belonged to that body of excellent mechanics which in the early days of the city did so much for its permanent development.
     The names of John Francis, Robert Crozier, William Kline, Joseph Capstack, John McDonnell, J. P. Cox, James Sproat, George Hall, John Seals and William R. Moore, recall to the older citizens men of energy and brawn, who were not only good mechanics and blacksmiths, but were also among the best and most reliable citizens. In 1857 William R. Moore erected a hominy mill in Barnesville on the corner of South and Chestnut streets. For many years he operated this very successfully, and it was followed in 1854 by a sawmill, which he located on South Chestnut street, and which, after years of successful operation, was bought by Hilles Brothers. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Mr. Moore was one of the loyal men who responded to the call for volunteers. He enlisted in Company C, 9th Reg., Ohio Vol. Cav., and served faithfully until 1865. His marriage to Mary E. Hall was blessed with the following children: Owen, who gave his young life to his country at the battle of Stone River; John W., Lurestine P., George and Francis.
     Francis Moore was reared and schooled at Barnesville, but in early manhood started out for himself, turning his steps to the great Northwest. There he learned the blacksmith trade and was thus employed at Minneapolis, Minnesota. He followed the same occupation in the regular army, with which he was connected for two years, and during that time, under command of General Miles, participated in several engagements with the Indians. In 1881 he returned to his old Ohio home and opened up his present quarters, where he has been very successfully employed ever since. Mr. Moore is an expert horseshoer and is known for his special work in the shoeing of race-track horses. His establishment is the leading one in Barnesville.
     Mr. Moore was first joined in marriage in 1875 with Annie B. Hummer. His second marriage occurred in 1884, when he wedded Annie B. Kircher, who died, leaving one daughter, Etta K. Mr. Moore formed a third union with Cora B. Rimer in 1893, which has resulted in no children.
     In politics Mr. Moore is identified with the Democratic party, while his fraternal connection is with the Odd Fellows. Both Mr. and Mrs. Moore are highly respected by all who know them, and they have a wide circle of friends.
Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903
M. E. MOORE is one of the best known farmers and most highly esteemed citizens of Wayne township, Belmont County, whose long and honorable record during the Civil War also entitles him to the respect and admiration of his fellow citizens.
     Mr. Moore was born Mar. 1, 1841, in Washington Township, on a farm i the vicinity of his present home, and he is a son of Michael and Priscilla (Deaver) Moore.
     Michael Moore was born on Captina Creek, in Washington township, and died at the age of 32 years, Mar. 17, 1841, when our subject was an infant of two weeks.  He was a son of Jacob Moore, who came to Ohio from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, the family having been founded there by Michael Moore, an early emigrant from Germany.  The latter was one of the earliest pioneers in Belmont County, where he died at the age of 106 years.  Jacob Moore, the grandfather of our subject, owned several farms in Washington and Wayne townships, and was the father of these children: John, Henry, Amster, Alfred, Michael, Rachel and Abigail.
     The mother of our subject was born in Maryland, of an old and much respected family.  She contracted a second marriage, with Eli Mantle, and died some 20 years ago.  The children of her first marriage were four in number, namely: Erastus, Adam T., Elizabeth and our subject.  Erastus Moore was born in 1833 and in 1859 married Nancy Mechem.  In the spring of 1860 he removed to his present fine farm in section 2, Wayne township.  His six children were:  Rev. Melancthon, who is the pastor of the Christian Church at Garnett, Kansas; Amanda J., who is Mrs. Thornberry of Washington, Pennsylvania; Rev. Zuinglius who is pastor of the Christian Church at Milford, Illinois; Laura who is the wife of J. J. Phillips, of Washington township; Rev. Luther who is pastor of the Third Christian Church at Akron, Ohio; Vietta, who is deceased; and Edison L., who lives at Akron, Ohio.  Adam T. Moore served during the Civil War as a member of the 179th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf.  He resides on the old home place in Washington township.  Elizabeth became Mrs. Stukey and died in Indiana.  The three children of he second marriage are: Ellen J. the wife of H. J. Danford, of California; and Hiram Mantle, of Wayne township; and Alexander C. Mantle, of Washington township.
     Reared on the farm and educated in the public schools.  Mr. Moore grew to young manhood, a representative young farmer.  The outbreak of the Civil War completely changed the current of his life, turning it fro the peaceful paths of agriculture into the stress and strife of warfare.  For almost five years his services were devoted to his country.  With loyal enthusiasm he answered the first call for three-year volunteers, entering Company E, 2nd Reg., West Virginia Vol. Inf.; veteraned in Company E, 5th Reg., West Virginia Vol. Cav., and again veteraned in Company K, 6th Reg., West Virginia Vol. Cav.  Although he saw much hard service and participated in some of the most terrible battles of the war, MR. Moore miraculously escaped serious injury.  He was a member of the famous Averill's cavalry, in West Virginia and was captured by the enemy, spending four months as a prisoner, after the battle of Piedmont.  He was left at campaign until the surrender of Atlanta, and Stanton Hospital and, being detailed there as nurse, took such excellent care of 13 wounded Union prisoners, that all but one regained health.  Five days were spent in a hospital, from an attack of measles, and that about covered actual illness.  In the fall of 1865, he was sent with his veteran regiment to Kansas and Colorado against the Indians, and was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, May 22, 1866, was discharged at Wheeling and arrived home, in Belmont County, June 1, 1866, after a wearisome but honorable service of four years, 11 months and 22 days.  He was in Washington City in 1865 and was one of Gen. O. O. Howard's body guard during the trial of the Lincoln conspirators.  He participated in the grand review in 1865, and boasts of again marching down Pennsylvania avenue in 1902 at the G. A. R. National Encampment.  He has worthily filled all the chairs, including that of commander of G. A. R., Danford Post No. 525, of Beallsville, Ohio.  He was most highly honored on July 1, 1880, by being commissioned lieutenant-colonel by Commander Samuel H. Hurst, of the Department of Ohio, G. A. R., the commission being given at the headquarters at Chillicothe, Ohio.
     After his return from the army, Mr. Moore soon married and purchased the old Phillip King farm, on Piney Creek, making the same his home until 1891, when he bought his present home farm, comprising 231 acres, a part of which, 40 acres each, was settled by Samuel and Israel Moore.  This is one of the well developed farms of the locality and has been made still more valuable and attractive by the recent completion of a handsome, modern residence.
     Mr. Moore was married in the fall of 1866, to Annis Danford, who was born in 1845 in Noble County, Ohio, and is a daughter of Emmor Danford of Belmont county.  The members of Mrs. Moore's family are scattered: Hiram J., who served in the Civil War, a member of the 27th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., married Ellen J. Mantle, the half-sister of our subject, and they reside at San Diego, California; Thomas who served in the Civil War also in an Ohio regiment, married Marsha Barkus and is in the mining business at Boulder, Colorado; Nancy Ellen married A. M. Caldwell and lives at New Martinsville, West Virginia; Cynthia married T. H. Blenus, a native of Nova Scotia, and they reside at Jacksonville, Florida; and another brother, E. O., has been lost in the West since 1880.
     A family of four children was born to Mr. and Mrs. Moore, namely: Solon A., born July 22, 1867, who is a teacher of 14 years' experience in Belmont County, a graduate of the Valparaiso Business College and the Elliott School of Shorthand and Typewriting, at Wheeling, and resides with his parents; Hiram C., born Sept. 24, 1868, who died Nov. 25, 1891; Walton E., born Mar. 6, 1874, who is his father's capable assistant at home; and Adam V., born Dec. 2, 1882, who died Nov. 26, 1890.
     Both Mr. and Mrs. Moore are valued members of the Belmont Ridge Christian Church.  No one is ever in doubt as to Mr. Moore's politics, and he is justly proud of the fact that he cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln and has consistently supported the same party ever since.  An honest, upright, straightforward man, M. E. Moore enjoys public esteem for his present position as neighbor and citizen, and for his past record as a brave, faithful and gallant soldier.
Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - 720
THOMAS G. MOORE, postmaster of Barnesville. Ohio, is one of the best known and most highly esteemed citizens of the place, his long term of mail service having made him familiar to the community, while it has served to thoroughly educate him in every detail of the work. For many years Mr. Moore's chief interest has centered in the perfection of the postal system under his care.
     The birth of Mr. Moore occurred in Warren township, Belmont County, and he is a son of Thomas G. and Mary (Staggs) Moore. The father was born in Kirkwood, Ohio, October 9, 1824. There he engaged in farming until his death. July 31, 1801. The mother survived until November 13, 1898.
     The subject of this sketch attended the public schools and prepared himself for a business career by taking a thorough commercial course. While still a youth he was employed in the mail service on the Vandalia Railroad and continued thus for 18 months, when he resigned to accept a clerical position in a drug store in Barnesville, where he remained for three and a half years.
     About this time Mr. Moore was appointed assistant postmaster at Barnesville. and continued in that capacity for 11 years. On May 4, 1900. he succeeded Postmaster Hillis, and has proven one of the most acceptable officials this city has ever had. He introduced rural mail delivery and has four employees under his supervision. Mr. Moore gives his whole time and attention to his office. His system has met with the approval of the citizens, and they esteem an official so careful and conscientious, rely upon his accuracy and enjoy the promptness with which the business is carried on.
     Mr. Moore married Eva M. Marks, who is a daughter of Samuel Marks and a native of Ohio. The two children born to this union are Carrie M. and Ralph M. Mr. Moore is a member of the Odd Fellows. He is a stanch supporter of the Republican party.
Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903

NOTES:

 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
BELMONT COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights