OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Welcome to
Belmont County
OHIO

BIOGRAPHIES
(Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
WILLIAM WATERS HANLON, president and manager of the Hanlon-Sharps Company, one of the large and prosperous enterprises which have had their origin and development in Belmont County, is a leading citizen and a representative of Barnesville's best commercial and social life. The birth of Mr. Hanlon occurred at Malaga, Monroe County, Ohio, March 9, 1855, and he is one of two sons born to T. T. and Agnes (Waters) Hanlon, the latter being a daughter of George Waters, a native of Loudoun County, Virginia. Her death occurred in 1858, when William W. was about three years old, and his brother, Oliver O., was about 12 days old.
     T. T. Hanlon was born December 17, 1828, in Jefferson County, Ohio, the eldest child of William and Elizabeth (Duval) Hanlon, the former of whom was born in Orange County. New York, and the latter in Wellsburg. West Virginia. William Hanlon was a shoemaker by trade, but later engaged in farming and teaching school. T. T. Hanlon learned the merchant-tailoring business and first located in Belmont County in 1849 and has been identified with Barnesville since the fall of 1862. In 1860 Mr. Hanlon contracted a second marriage with Elizabeth Hyde, of Boston, this county, and one daughter, Agnes Amelia—now Mrs. Walter Murray— was born to this union. Until 1874 Mr. Hanlon engaged in the mercantile business in Barnesville and later became interested in the paper jobbing trade, still later adding a printing house, the firm name of the business at its birth being T. T. Hanlon & Sons. In 1882 the firm established the "Barnesville Republican," with W. W. Hanlon as editor, and conducted it in connection with their general paper business. About 1885 the firm name underwent a change to that of Hanlon Brothers & Company, which name held until a few years later, when William W. and Oliver O. Hanlon purchased all other interests and the firm then assumed the style of Hanlon Brothers' Paper Company.
     When our subject, William W. Hanlon, was about six years of age, his parents located in Barnesville, and it was in this city that he received the larger portion of his education, although no small credit must be given to the printing business with which he soon became associated, and pursued studiously in various parts of the country for that ready and facile use of the English language which distinguished him in his newspaper work — many people claiming that the "Barnesville Republican," under his tireless leadership, was the best country weekly in the State. Mr. Hanlon has possessed a wonderful constitution; was ever hungry for work, claiming that it was better to "wear out than rust out," and that, be it work or play, it should be done "like thunder." He has always been a friend and patron of outdoor games—the good ones. He has also been a strong advocate for municipal growth, and Barnesville never had a better friend.
     The firm of Hanlon Brothers' Paper Company was changed to that of Hanlon Brothers' Paper & Manufacturing Company in 1899, when W. E. Sharps, of Independence. West Virginia, bought a third interest in the business. The business prospered—"Genius is nine-tenths work." In May. 1902, the business was incorporated—with William W. Hanlon as president, W. E. Sharps as secretary and Oliver O. Hanlon as treasurer—as a stock company, with a capital of $100,000, and with a paid-up stock of $60,000. In the summer and fall of 1902, to meet the demands of their rapidly increasing trade, the company was obliged to enlarge the plant, and built one of the most complete establishments in the State of Ohio, equipped with all modern appliances and high-priced machinery for the expeditious and economical manufacture of envelopes, sheet and roll wrapping paper, paper sacks, calendars, office supplies, weatherproof signs, and advertising novelties. They also do special designing and engraving in certain departments. Their plant is one of the "busy marts" of the town, their "sign" the handsomest in the county, and their goods go all over the United States.
     William W. Hanlon was married on September 12, 1879, to Anna M. Sullivan, daughter of Rev. J. C. Sullivan, and they are the parents of three grown sons: Frank F., Lieuy L. and Ralph R.—all of whom are connected with the above business, each holding a responsible position and "filling" it. The religious connection of the family is with the Methodist Church. Mr. Hanlon is one of the "four fathers" of the Belmont-Monroe Reunion Society, has been actively identified with secret orders, is widely known as an aggressive Republican, and is a member of Wheeling Lodge. No. 28, B. P. O. E.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903)

HERMAN HARTENSTEIN, a venerable and honored resident of Belmont County, Ohio, has spent almost half a century of his useful life in the iron and steel works.  In 1900 he retired to his farm near Bellaire, - this farm is most beautifully situated, being located on a hill overlooking the Ohio River.  The original purchase contained but 30 acres, but later a 50 acre tract adjoining was added, making it one of the finest 80 acre farms in the vicinity.  Here Mr. Hartensein carries on general farming and his activity would put to shame many a younger man.  Valuable sand pits are to be found on his land and large quantities of sand are sold for molding purposes.
     As the same indicates, the subject of this sketch is of German nativity.  His birth took place in October, 1830, in Saxony, Germany, and he is a son of Henry Hartenstein, who with his family emigrated from the fatherland, locating in Butler county, Pennsylvania, in 1844.  Purchasing a tract of land in that county, Henry Hartenstein followed agricultural pursuits for many years.  About a year prior to his death, he sold his farm and removed to a near-by town.  Both he and his wife died in 1895 - within six weeks of each other - and both were octogenarians at the time of their deaths.
     Although living in a distance county, our subject made it a rule to visit his aged parents at least once a year for many years before their deaths.  He has four sisters, who reside on farms in different parts of Butler County, Pennsylvania, and his brother, Louis, is successfully engaged in mercantile life in the same State.
     Mr. Hartenstein obtained his primary education in Germany, and after locating in the United States attended night school.  When 15 years of age, he secured employment in the iron works at Brady's Bend, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania, continuing to work there until 1849, when the plant was closed.  After a brief sojourn at Pittsburg, he went to Wheeling, and followed the fortunes of a miner a few months.  The following year (1850), upon the opening of the Belmont Mills, Mr. Hartenstein entered the employ of Bailey, Woodward & Co., continuing in the employ of that firm for many years after the La Belle Mill was built there by them, working in all 17 years with the Belmont and La Belle companies.  He first worked in the rolling department and later was employed for many years in the boiling rooms.  He tended the puddling furnaces, retaining that position for years.
     In 1886 Mr. Hartenstein entered the steel works as assistant manager and filled that position in an able manner until his retirement from the service in 1900, having spent 49 years in the business.  He is well known all over the steel region and is one of the few men now living who were among the early employees of the mills.
     In February, 1852, our subject was united in marriage with Louisa Knipping, who was born in Germany in 1833 and is a daughter of William and Theresa (Schlinkey) Knipping.  She came to the country in 1844 ad was reared in the family of her step-father, August Wiedebusch, who lived in Wheeling, West Virginia.  Mr. and Mrs. Hartenstein have five daughters ad three sons living and have lost several children.  Their two eldest sons, August and Herman, reside in the West.  Albert, the youngest son, is a druggist in Bellaire.  The daughters are Leona (Mrs. John Murphy), Roberta (Mrs. Peter Kern), Louisa (Mrs. Joseph Glasser).  Mary (Mrs. James McKee) and Annie, wife of John Glasser, a manufacturer of some note.  All reside in Bellaire.
     Mr. Hartenstein is a faithful follower of the Democratic party.  While a resident of Wheeling, he served three years as a member of the City Council.   Mr. Hartenstein was captain in the West Virginia State Militia during the Civil War.  In fraternal circles, he is a prominent Mason, having a membership of 20 years standing.  He affiliates with the blue lodge and chapter of Bellaire and with Hope Commandery, No. 26, K. T., of St. Clairesville.  He has been a member of the I. O. O. F. since he was 21 years of age.  He is an active member of the Lutheran Church and contributed largely toward its support.  From the foregoing it will be seen that our subject has led a long and active life and, although now in advanced years, is still a useful member of his community.
     Mrs. Hartenstein's father fought in the battle of Waterloo and was never wounded.  He was a brave soldier and was granted a life pension by King William, who also awarded him a brass medal.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903)

N. J. HATCHER, one of the substantial and representative farmers and popular citizens of Belmont County, residing on his farm in section 2, Union township, near Loydsville, was born Aug. 3, 1828, in Union township, a so of Elijah and Jane (Craig) Hatcher, both of whom were natives of Loudoun County.
     Elijah Hatcher the father, was born Aug. 15, 1796, in Loudoun County, Virginia, a son of Quaker parents.  Noah and Rachel (Beans) Hatcher, the former of whom died of old age in Virginia, the latter, coming to Ohio at an early day, died at the age of 86 years.  Of the children of Noah and Rachel Hatcher, Edward died in Virginia.  John, the youngest lived for many years near Portland, Oregon, having been a pilot and teamster for General Fremont, and a noted trader with the Indians.  The others were Elijah and Mary the former of whom was the father of the subject of this biography. 
     In 1822 Elijah Hatcher was married in Loudoun County, Virginia, to Jane Craig, who was born on Aug. 15, 1806, on the same day of the month as her husband, but to years later.  From early girlhood she was a member of the Methodist Church and was a woman of noble character, devoted to her home and church.  She passed away on Jan. 16, 1889, at the age of 82 years and five months.  In 1827 Elijah Hatcher and wife came to Ohio and engaged in farming in Belmont County, and held many of the township offices.  Although a birthright member of the Society of Friends, prior to decease he united with the Methodist Church, of which his wife was consistent a member.  These most estimable people had a family of seven children, namely: N. J., of this sketch; Rebecca, who resides near the toll gate, on the National Road, in this county; Rachel, who married Joseph Pancoast, is deceased, as is also her husband; Eliza, who married James B. Hogue, the first white child born in Grundy County, Illinois, is deceased; Sarah, who married Leander Moore, resides in Lucas County, Iowa; John, who also is a resident of Iowa; and Cecelia, who married Charles Pickering, of Richland township, Belmont County.
     N. J. Hatcher obtained his education in the country schools and in the advanced school at Loydsville, and grew to manhood as his father's assistant on the farm.  At the age of 21 he began operating for himself, and for many years has taken a prominent position among the leading agriculturists and large land owners of the county.  Mr. Hatcher owns very valuable land, the Pittsburg vein underlying all of it, while it fertility makes it desirable for farming purposes.  He owns 218 acres in section 2 and a farm of 77 acres in Richland township, adjoining the former tract in Union township.
     On May 7, 1856, Mr. Hatcher was married to Mary E. Gregg, a native of Virginia, who came to Ohio with her parents when two years of age.  She was the eldest of the family of eight children born to her parents, Hendley and Amy Gregg, the others being: Joshua, who is a farmer in Pottawattamie County, Iowa; Samuel, deceased, who lived in Warren County, Iowa; Hendley, who resides on the home place, in Goshen township, this county; Frances and Henrietta, unmarried, who live in Barnesville; William, deceased, who lived in Iowa; and Victoria, who is Mrs. Thomas Rogers, of Barnesville.  Mrs. Hatcher died May 1, 1891, a consistent member of the Methodist Church, a woman of lovely life and character, possessing in disposition of cheerfulness, disposed to contribute to the happiness of all about her, valued in her church and beloved in her family.  Her five children were the following: Rosa M., still at home; Amy J., the wife of J. W. Wilkinson, county commissioner, more extended mention of whom will be found elsewhere; John William, born June 7, 1861, died June 7, 1863, at the age of two years; Elijah Clyde, who is i the wholesale grocery business at Allegheny City, married Orpha Sidebottom and has two children.  Emmett and Ellen; Grace, who is Mrs. Robert Hood, resides at Cambridge, Ohio, and has one child, Mary;  and Ida M., who is at home.
     Mr. Hatcher has long been well known as a capitalist, and has been a director in the Second National Bank of St. Clairsville; has been a capable member of the School Baord for years, and has acceptably filled other local positions.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903)
JOHN D. HAYS, treasurer of Belmont County and a prominent resident of St. Clairsville, Ohio, was born in Wheeling township, Belmont County, in 1857.  He is a son of Henderson  and Catherine (Downing) Hays.
     Henderson Hays
was born in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Mar. 29, 1821, and was the eldest son of William and Elizabeth (Irwin) Hays.  By the death of his parents he was thrown upon his own resources at the early age of 12 years.  He resided in his native county until a short time after his first marriage, when he moved to Wheeling township, and there following farming until his death.  In 1842 he married Olivia Coulter, who died i 1852, having given birth to the following children: Euphemia E., who was born in 1845, and married John Caldwell in 1872; Cynthia A., who was born in 1846, and was married in 1876, to John Gillespy; ad Mary T., who was born in 1848, and was married, in 1874, to R. E. Dool.  Henderson Hays formed a second union in 1854, with Catherine Downing, a daughter of John and Eleanor (Lee) Downing, both natives of Ohio.  Five children were born to them, namely: William G., born in 1855, who resides at Bannock, Ohio; John D., the subject of this sketch; Irwin L., born in 1858, who resides at Bannock, Ohio; Olivia E., who was born in 1862, and died in 1863; and Lena M., born in 1867, who was married, i 1889, to Rev. Thomas E. Holiday, both of whom are now missionaries in India.  Mr. Hays died Jan. 1, 1890, and Mrs. Hays who was born Mar. 21, 1872, now resides in St. Clairsville.
     John D. Hays was reared and schooled in his native township, and followed farming until 1894.  In that year, having been appointed deputy county treasurer, he necessarily moved to St. Clairsville, where he discharged the duties of that office for two successive terms.  In 1901, before his term of office had expired, he was nominated by acclamation for county treasurer, and is election followed in November of that year.  He is a man of recognized ability, and is held is high esteem.
     Mr. Hays is a member of Flushing Lodge, F. & A. M. Chapter, No. 54, R. A. M.; and Hope Commandery, No. 26, K. T.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903)
JULIUS H. HAYS, superintendent of the carpenter and construction gang at the Bellaire plant of the National Steel Company for the past twelve years, is one of the oldest employees of the plant, his term of service ranking second.  Mr. Hays is highly esteemed by his employers for his efficiency and long years of faithful attachment to their interests.
     Julius H. Hays was born in 1852 in Germany, and alone the dependent upon his own resources he came to America at the age of 15 years.  In Germany his father operated a large wind-power flouring mill, but the youth believed he could better his condition in a new country.  A sister, Mulder, resides in Texas.  Being willing, energetic and pleasant in manner, he soon secured employment in New York as clerk i a store at $8 a month and continued there for two yeas, and then went to Wheeling, West Virginia.  There he learned the carpenter trade with William Bitmeyer, and followed the same in Wheeling, later being one of the builders of the Aetna Standard Mill.  In 1884 he came to Bellaire and began work as a journeyman carpenter with his present employers, and by careful and thorough work gained his promotion in 1890 to the position of superintendent of all of the carpentering and construction of the heavy rigging of the steel works with a force of from 40 and 50 men under his charge.  During his seventeen years' connection with this plant Mr. Hays has seen many changes.  When he came here in 1884 three carpenters only were required where now fourteen, with helpers are needed, and the mules which used to pull the cars have been replaced by twelve locomotives.  The single blast furnace, where 60 tons of pig-iron was a large day's work, has been superseded by furnaces with a capacity of 350 tons.
     Mr. Hays has a beautiful home at No. 4754 Jefferson street, containing eight apartments and surrounded by a fine lawn.  The house was erected by him in 1888.  He has a most interesting family, which is well a favorably know in the city. His marriage was to Carrie Backer, daughter of Peter Backer, who came to Wheeling 52 years ago from Germany and was engaged for 82 years at the La Belle coal mine.  Mr. Backer at the age of 81 years is still vigorous and but lately returned from the enjoyable visit to his native land.  The five children born to Mr. and Mrs. Hays were: Anna, at home; Alberta, the wife of Augustus Stellars, of the Novelty Stamping Company; John, a clerk and assistant mechanical engineer at the steel works; Nellie, a stenographer in the office of the steel works, and George, receiving clerk at the National steel works.
     In political sentiment Mr. Hays is an ardent Republican, and he is fraternally connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen.  In his religious views he is very liberal, seeing good in every denomination, but his family attend the Episcopal Church, and this he liberally assists.  From the position of a poor German lad without friends, Mr. Hays has made his own way in the world and now possesses ample means, many friends and is well deserving the high esteem in which he is held by those who know him best.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903)
JOHN A. HAZEN, a prosperous farmer of Union township, Belmont County, Ohio, was born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, Feb. 3, 1830, and is a son of Hon. George W. and Nancy (Bowman) Hazen, natives of New Jersey and Pennsylvania, respectively.
     Judge Hazen was about three years of age when taken by his parents to live in Pennsylvania.  Both his parents lived beyond the when taken by his parents to live in Pennsylvania.  Both his parents lived beyond the age of 70 years.  He was educated for the legal profession and attained high rank among the lawyers of his section.  He and his family came to Ohio in 1833, and he lived in southeast Ohio during the remainder of his life, dying in 1861 at the age of 66 years.  He served as judge in Belmont County for a period of seven years, and was a most worthy man, who enjoyed the acquaintance of many throughout the county.  Although reared in the Episcopal Church, his parents having belonged to the Church of England, he later joined the Presbyterian Church, of which he was a devout member.  In politics he was conservative, but held strenuously to his views.  Although he had much political influence and was the ruling spirit in politics in the county, the only office ever accepted was that of judge, declining to run for a senatorship.  He owned a farm of 270 acres, most of which still remains in the possession of his family.  He was a Mason, and Hazen Lodge, of Morristown, was named in his honor.  He married Nancy Bowman a daughter of John and Catherine (Snively) Bowman relatives of the Bowmans and Hoggs of Brownsville, Pennsylvania.  She died in 1888 at the advanced age of 86 years.  She was a faithful member of the Presbyterian Church and was an active church worker.  Four children were born to them, as follows:  David H., at one time partner of Governor Shannon, of St. Clairsville, was an attorney-at-law. - he moved to Pittsburg and then to Kansas, where he died; Dr. Chrles A. died at the age of 61 years in Kansas City, where he had practiced for some years; Catherine resides with the subject of this sketch; and John A.
     John A. Hazen
was educated in the common schools of this county and at an early age engaged in farming, at which he has since continued.  He follows diversified farming and possesses 160 acres, all of which is underlaid with coal, presumably four veins.  He stands high in the esteem of his fellow citizens and has many warm personal friends.
     Mr. Hazen was united in marriage December 24, 1863, to Ellen McKelvey, who was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, May 14, 1842, and was a daughter of William and Mary (Laughland) McKelvey, both now deceased.  She was a Presbyterian and was a zealous church worker.  Her death occurred Oct. 14, 1894, at the age of 52 years, being survived by her husband and two children, namely: Florence C., an artist, who married Dr. C. U. Patterson, a practitioner of Uhrichsville, by whom she has two children, Myra and Hazen; and William C., who is a machinist of Uhrichsville.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903)
RICHARD HEALEY, manager and superintendent of the Barnesville Creamery, of Barnesville. Ohio, is one of the capable, self-reliant and successful young business men of this city, of which he has been a resident since 1895.
     Mr. Healey was born in Butler, Indiana, on November 10, 1866, and is a son of John and Hannah (Trwin) Healey. John Healey was born in Massachusetts, January 1, 1838. In his earlier years he followed the coopering trade, but later became extensively interested in the timber business, and was thus engaged until his death. May 13. 1898. Hannah (Irwin) Healey died July 27, 1881.
Richard Healey was one of a family of three children born to his parents, and was reared and schooled in Ohio, his father having located at Lima and engaged in the manufacture of stoves when  Richard was seven years old. As he grew to manhood he also became interested in the timber business, but later was employed by a creamery concern. He represented a large supply house on the road and traveled through the West. In 1898 he accepted his present responsible position with the Barnesville Creamery, and since that time the business has been increased many per cent. He is also interested in the commission business. Mr. Healey's knowledge is practical, and his methods and management have demonstrated his ability as superintendent. The average monthly business under Mr. Healey's charge amounts to from $1,800 to $2,000, and it is constantly growing larger. All modern appliances are in use calculated to increase the value and quantity of the output, with a minimizing of expense, the consequence being that this industry is one of the best paying ones in the city.
     The first marriage of Mr. Healey was to Sarah Abplanalp, in 1884, and one child, Margaret, was born to them. Mrs. Healey died July 28, 1895. In 1899 Mr. Healey was married to Mary Taylor, a daughter of J. A. Taylor. In fraternal affiliation Mr. Healey is a valued member of the Knights of Pythias and Independent Order of Foresters. He is prominently identified with the Democratic party. The religious connection of the family is with the Christian Church.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903)
THE HEATHERINGTON FAMILY has been prominently identified with the coal interests of Belmont county, especially in the vicinity of Bellaire for a number of years, and it is conspicuous not only for wealth and business activity, but also for its public spirit, civic usefulness and social position.
     JACOB HEATHERINGTON, a most highly esteemed citizen of this city, and the father of Winfield Scott Heatherington, was born in 1814, in England, and came to America at the age of 14 years with his parents and four brothers, the latter locating in various parts of the country.  Mr. Heatherington had no educational advantages in his youth.  He followed the occupation of "trapper" in the mines near his home in the north of England prior to coming to the United States.  His father located at West Wheeling, Ohio, and there conducted a small coal mine, the same now operated by the Brooks Coal Company,  Jacob Heatherington came to Bellaire while still young, and soon after became the owner of a lot of eight acres of land, and on that tract the most of his children were born.  His first residence, where three of the children were born, survived the flood of 1832, and the second building stood through the flood of 1852, which demolished so much river property.
     In these early days, Mr. Heatherington was closely associated with Captain Fink, and at various times purchased small tracts of land in the valley from Fink, which yearly increased in value and are now largely built upon, comprising a very important part of the city of Bellaire.
     The foundation of Mr. Heatherington's large fortune was laid in working in the coal mines, and in this connection, notice must be made of an humble member of the family known as "Jack."  Inseparably connected with Mr. Heatherington's early and arduous labors was a little black mule called "Jack."  As he grew old and died, worn out through 44 years of useful service, the "side-partner," as his affectionate and appreciative master denominated him, was given burial in a quiet and shady corner of the estate, while the members of the family grieved as at the loss of a friend.  In recognition of a companion who never failed him in days of adversity, Mr. Heatherington in erecting his palatial mansion in this city, ordered that a graven image of "Jack" should adorn the keystone over his front door.
     Jacob Heatherington first labored in the coal mine which opens near the present residence of Carl L. Dorer, on McMechen's Cree, and later opened a mine just below his residence.  A few years after he opened what is known as Belmont No. 1, and which is now operated by Albert Heatherington, the son of the former owner.  His next enterprise was the opening up of Belmont No. 2, the "River" mine, and this was operated by the family until 1899, when it was sold to the Empire Coal Company, which works it under the same name.  It is a most valuable property, and had been operated for 20 years by Winfield Scott Heatherington and Miss Lyde Heatherington, daughter of the late Alexander Heatherington and niece of Jacob Heatherington made a trip to his native land and upon his return brought with him a prominent English architect, who planned and built the stately home in South Bellaire, at a cost of $30,000.  This home is about the most elaborate residence in the city.  The bricks used i its construction were burned upon the estate.  This architect while in Ohio was engaged to erect other buildings, the capitol at Wheeling being an example of his architecture.  The children of Jacob Heatherington were the following: Melinda, John, Alexander, Hamden, Martha, Winfield Scott, Wilbur, Oella, who died in 1894; Albert; and Perky, who died at the age of five years.  Of these Melinda died young.  John served three years in the Civil War.  He married Amanda Waggoner and their one child, Elmer Ellsworth, is deceased.  Alexander died in 1891, aged about 54 years.  He married Elizabeth Jones, a native of Belmont County, who resides at Bellaire.  Four of their children died young, and the four surviving ones are: Lyde, who capably carries on her father's business, in association with her uncle, our subject; Flora, who married James F. DuBois, a prominent citizen of Bellaire; Jacob, who is a clerk in Bellaire; and Edwin, who is still in school.  Hamden is a veteran of the Civil War, having served four years, and was mustered out as captain; in 1889, he removed to Noble County, Ohio, where he is engaged in farming.  He married Elizabeth Penn, a native of Belmont County, and their one son and three daughters are the following:  Jacob, who is married and has two children, lives at Newport News, Virginia, where he is a ship carpenter, in the employ of the government; Olie, who is married, lives at Point Pleasant, West Virginia; Mable, also married, lives in Indiana; and Nellie, who is a young lady at home.  Martha resides at Bellaire.  Wilbur, who was born in 1849, died about 1879, leaving his widow and two children, - Serena and Oella.  Albert, who is married and resides at Bellaire, has two sons, William and Jacob, the latter of whom manages the mine known as Belmont No. 1.  In politics this family has been united in its allegiance to the Republican party.  With the exception of John, all of the sons and father have been identified with either the Masonic or Odd Fellow fraternities.  The Christian Church in this section was largely built by Jacob Heatherington, and the family membership has been with that religious body through many years.
     Jacob Heatherington's wife was a most estimable woman and a devout member of the Christian Church.  Her demise was sadly mourned.  She died in 1896, aged about 80 years.
     Winfield Scott Heatherington was born near the residence of his father, in South Bellaire, in 1847.  At that time his father owned 52 acres of the valuable land along the river, about one-half of which has been sold to the railroads and for choice residence sites.  Mr. Heatherington has operated what is known as the "River" mine, as noted above, his duties being the superintendence of the outside work, while his niece manages the office.  Three fine residences are in course of construction, several blocks north of the family home.  They are being built by our subject, his brother, John, and Lyde, his niece.  Winfield Scott Heatherington married a daughter of Rudolph Archer, deceased, and to this union were born four sons and two daughters, namely: Howard, who was formerly a miner, but  now a glass worker, married Eva Harper, has one child, Eugene, and resides in the First Ward; Orlando, who is also a glass worker, married Miss Rufer and has two sons - Raymond and Newell; Maude,  who married John Rankin, bookkeeper for the Delaplain Dry Goods Company of Wheeling, resides on Wheeling Island, and is the mother of two sons, - Chauncey A. and Ralph H.; Albert, who conducts a large gentlemen's furnishing business in Bellaire, a member of the firm of Heatherington & Archer, married Mary Buchanan, and they have one daughter, Mildred; Winfield Scott, Jr., who is a master of vessel and pilot, secured his license on the day he reached his majority, being the youngest pilot then in government waters, married Anna Schramm, and they have one daughter, Grace; and Martha, the youngest, who resides at home.
     The Heatherington name has been perpetuated in many ways in Belmont County, and has long been familiar in many circles, most notably in a musical organization, known as the Heatherington Band.  It was organized over 60 years ago by William and Jacob Heatherington, the latter being at that time the drummer.  Winfield Scott Heatherington was elected to that rank while still too small to carry his drum, and later conducted the band for some 30 years, being an expert baritone player.  His eldest son is also killed on the same instrument.  He resigned this duty to his son in 1887.  The band consists of 24 pieces and it is well known all over the county.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903)
PETER W. HELPBRINGER, a prosperous farmer and also proprietor of the Helpbringer Mills of Richland township, Belmont County, Ohio, was born in Goshen township in 1846. and is a son of John and Tamzin (Wolf) Helpbringer.
     John Helpbringer was born in Frederick County, Virginia, in 1809, and died in 1887. He came to Ohio, first locating in Guernsey County, and subsequently in Goshen township, Belmont County, in 1840. He then moved to Smith township, where he lived almost 40 years. He then lived with his son, Peter W., for three years, after which he made his home at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Ramsey, in Mead township, until his death. He was a farmer, and also operated the Helpbringer Hour and saw mills for a period of twenty-five years. He was a Republican in politics, and in religious attachment was a member of the M. E. Church. He was united in marriage with Tamzin Wolf, a daughter of Peter and Clarissa Wolf. She was born in Frederick County, Virginia, in 1809, and died in 1888. Religiously, she. was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. To this union were born seven children: William, who lives in Missouri; Joshua Lupton, who died in 1879; Rebecca Ann, wife of Sterling Douglas, residing near Kelsey station, Smith township; John, deceased; Clara Virginia, wife of William E. Devoe, of Smith township; Peter W.; and Sarah A., wife of William Ramsay, of Mead township.
     Peter W. Helpbringer is also a miller by trade and succeeded his father, upon the latter's retirement, as proprietor of the Helpbringer mills. He is also engaged in farming near Glencoe, his home farm consisting of 230 acres of valuable land, and he also owns 80 acres in Wayne township. His beautiful residence sits on an elevation and commands an excellent view of the surrounding country. He is a man of high principles, a good, loyal citizen, and commands the respect and highest esteem of his fellow men.
     April 22, 1880. Mr. Helpbringer was united in the bonds of matrimony with Jane Louisa Neff, a daughter of Henry and Matilda Neff. who was born in Smith township in 1850. They are parents of five children. as follows: Henry N., who died in July. 1881; Adelbert S.; Clara May; Ralph E., who died January 26, 1901; and James N.   Mrs Helpbringer died February 7, 1901. Religiously, our subject is a member of the M. E. Church. He is a Republican in politics.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903)
GEORGE WASHINGTON HENDERSHOT, one of the oldest and most prominent farmers of Washington township, Belmont County, was born in teh township along Pea Vine Creek, in 1818.
     He is a son of Michael and Mary (Space) Hendershot, who emigrated from New Jersey Feb. 15, 1815, locating along Captina Creek.  They both died on the home farm when 86 years of age.  The mother of our subject was the second wife of Michael Hendershot, and to them were born the following children: John, born in 1807, who died in 1833; Isaac, born in 1809, who died in Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1867; Henry, born February 26, 1811, who died in Washington township in 1885; George Washington, subject of this biography; Mary Ann, born in 1813, who died at the age of 21 years; Sarah Maria, born in 1820, who married Henry Lomar Sept. 9, 1843, and lived in Beallsville, Monroe County, Ohio, where she died; and Michael, born in 1823, who died at Columbus and was buried in York township. By his first wife Michael Hendershot had two children, Daniel, who died in 1883, and Angeline, wife of Adolph Harmon, born in 1804, and died in Nebraska about 1893.
     George W. Hendershot was reared and has always resided in Washington township.  He owns about one section of land, which is devoted to sheep raising and general farming under his supervision.  He cleared this land at an early day and actively managed it until a few years ago, when it was given into the care of his sons, each of whom receives his share of the crops.
     Sept. 30, 1843, Mr. Hendershot married Sevilla Carpenter, who was born in Monroe County, Ohio, in 1824, and is a daughter of Robert Carpenter, who moved to York township, Belmont County, when she was eight years of age.  Twelve children were born to them:  The eldest died in infancy; Penelope, wife of William Pfeffenbach, resides at Bellaire; Michael Taylor, who lives on the home farm, married Margaret Linden and has five children: Robert C., also residing on the home farm married Lovina Taylor, deceased and later Margaret Bryson; Henry S., residing on his father's farm, married Elizabeth Bryson; Sevilla Jane, wife of John Graham, resides on her father's farm on Pea Vine Creek; Mary, wife of David Honey; Margaret, who married Ross Carle, resides on Pea Vine Creek; George Grant, who resides with his father, married Sarah Diantha Hess; Nancy Ellen, married George Carle and resides near Bellaire, Pultney township; and Anna Laura died at the age of three years.  Although Mr. Hendershot's eyesight has failed rapidly in recent years, he retains all his old-time sagacity in business affairs, and gives counsel to his sons.  He is most highly esteemed and has friends of long standing in the county.  He has always been a Republican since the organization of the party.  He has reared a Presbyterian, but is inclined to be liberal in his views.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page 823)
J. TAYLOR HENDERSHOT, one of the best known citizens of Washington township, Belmont County, is a prosperous general merchant of Hendershot, of which he is also the postmaster.  He was born in this township in 1849, and is a son of Henry and Mary (Barrett) Hendershot.
     Henry Hendershot
engaged in farming all his life and for many years lived on the farm now occupied by our subject.  He died in 1885, and his wife in 1871.  The mother was probably a Virginian by birth, and was in the block-house at Wheeling during the trouble with Indians.  Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hendershot became parents of the following children: John Peter, deceased, a soldier of the Civil War; William deceased, who also served in the army; Henry Clay, deceased, also a soldier of the Union Army; Elizabeth, deceased; Annie (McGar), a widow, residing near Belmont; Lydia Bell, deceased, and J. Taylor subject of this biography.
     J. Taylor Hendershot was reared and has always made a home on the farm.  Early in the "nineties" he established a general store, carrying a stock of goods invoicing about $2,000, and this he has since conducted in a most successful manner.  When Hendershot was made a post office some seven years ago our subject received the appointment of postmaster, in which capacity he has since continued.  He owns a farm of 160 acres, all of which is well improved and is operated under his direction.  He was joined in marriage with Eunice Hall, a daughter of Job Hall, and they have three children: Birdie O., now a Steubenville; Foster Welch, at Captina Mills, and Bernie Baer at home.  Politically he is a Republican and has served as township trustee and in other local offices.  He is a member of Moriah Lodge, No. 105, F. & A. M., of Pohatan.  In religious attachment he is a member of Grand View Christian Church.
     Job Hall, father of Mrs. Hendershot, was born in Richland township, Belmont County, in 1824, and is a son of William and Nancy (Dillon) Hall, and grandson of Dennis Hall.  The lat named moved to Wheeling from Loudoun County, Virginia, in 1805, and later located in Pease township, and finally in Richland township, Belmont County, Ohio.  He was a miller by trade and followed milling throughout life.  He married Rachel Shubridge, who died in Knox County, Ohio, and of the children born to them four died before leaving Virginia.  The others, William Y., John, James, Nancy, and Priscilla, are now all deceased.  William Y. Hall, father of Job Hall, was born in Loudoun County, Virginia, Jan. 9, 1795, and came with his father to Richland township.  He resided in Belmont County until 1854, when he moved to the State of Iowa, locating in Appanoose County, wehre he followed carpentering and farming.  His death occurred Jan. 13, 1870.  He wife, Nancy Dillon, was born in Greene County, Pennsylvania, in 1801, and was a daughter of Job and Catherine (Colly) Dillon who emigrated from Pennsylvania to Richland township when Mrs. Hall was very small.  She died in 1833 in the prime of life.  Six children were born to William and Nancy Hall, namely: Alma, born in 1822, married and moved to Iowa, where she died; Job; Lovina, born in 1827, married Isaac Meek and died in this county; Melissa, born in 1829, died at Armstrong's Mills; Catherine, born in 1831, died single, and Nancy, born in 1833, who is the wife of William Slay of Glencoe.
     Job Hall was four years old when brought to Washington township, where he has since made his home, having now passed the age of 78 years.  He was reared on a farm, but later took up the trade of a millwright when 33 years of age.  He engaged at various mills and continued in the business until some five years ago, his last work being to help put in the rolls at the Armstrong Mills, which were later burned.  He has resided on his present home farm since 1859, and has followed farming during that period.  He was married in 1849 to Elizabeth Hendershot, who was born in Washington township in 1824, and is a daughter of Daniel and Mary (Brewer) Hendershot.  They have five children: Eunice, born in 1850 and wife of J. T. Hendershot; James W., born in 1852, died at the age of two years; Alonzo O., born in 1854, resides at Bellaire, where he is engaged in the grocery business; Mary, born in 1857, wife of Samuel Carpenter, of York township; and Viola, born in 1860, married Charles F. Kocher a blacksmith, and resides at Armstrong's Mills.  Politically Mr. Hall is a Democrat and has served in various township offices.  Fraternally he is a member of Captina Lodge, No. 429, I. O. O. F.  His wife is a member of the Christian Church and he is a Universalist.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903)
ALEXANDER Y. HENDERSON, a progressive farmer of Wheeling township, Belmont County, Ohio, was born on his present farm July 18, 1844, and is a son of Alexander and grandson of Andrew Henderson.
     Anderson Henderson
was born in Pennsylvania and was of Scotch-Irish descent.  He was father of the following children:  Alexander father of our subject; Andrew, who lived at Cambridge; James, a United Presbyterian minister, who died in Iowa, where his family still reside; Matthew, born in 1807, lived in Wheeling township - he married Miranda A. Perrian, who was born in New York City in 1811, and they had 11 children; John, who lived in Belmont County, died at St. Clairsville in 1897; Martha, who married John Carnahan, died in Athens, Ohio; Elizabeth, wife of William McFarland, died in Athens, Ohio; and Mary, wife of John Kerr died in Belmont County.
     Alexander Henderson was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, in 1797, and was a young man when he came with his father of Ohio about 1815.  He settled and cleared the land which became known as the old family homestead, it at one time comprising more than 500 acres.  He was father of the following children:  Andrew,, born in Belmont County, in 1824, moved to Missouri after the war, in which he and two sons, Samuel and William, fought.  He later went west, and at the time of his death in 1899 was living in Boonville, Missouri.  William, born in 1828, lived in Colerain township until his death, and his family still reside there.  James, born in 1832, was captain of Company G, 170th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., and was wounded at Snicker's Gap July 18, 1864.  He died in Colerain township in 1873.  Alexander Y, is the subject of this biography.  Mary Jane, born in 1826, married Samuel Sloan, by whom she had 11 children.  Martha, born in 1830, married William Kerr, who died in 1890, leaving four children: Elizabeth, who lives in Kansas, is the widow of John Baker, who died in 1901.  Hannah Ann, wife of James Coulter, lives near Harrisville, in Harrison County, Ohio.
     Alexander Y. Henderson attended the common schools of his community, and was but 20 years of age when he enlisted in Company G, 170th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf.  He participated in the engagements at Snicker's Gap and Winchester, and was with Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley.  He has always followed farming as an occupation, and just after his marriage settled on the farm to the south of his present location.  His house was destroyed by fire in 1868, and was replaced by a handsome new brick home at a cost of $3,200.  He moved to his present farm in 1900 and erected a new house and barn.  He has 40 acres of the old homestead, and follows general farming and stock raising.  He raises nothing but registered stock, and makes a specialty of Chester White hogs and Scotch Collie dogs.  He is a fine penman, and in 1900 was called upon to take the census of the township.  He has been notary public since 1896, a school director seven or eight years, and has held other township offices.  He is a Republican, and has been central committeeman for a period of 12 years.
     Our subject was married Oct. 25, 1866, to Rachel A. Coulter, who was born Jan. 8, 1844, and is a daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann Coulter.  Her father was born in Maryland in 1816 and died Jan. 8, 1901; her mother was born in Belmont County in 1815 and died in 1890.  Ten children were born to this union: Charles L., Sept. 13, 1867, a veterinary surgeon of Flushing; Alfred H., born Mar. 6, 1869, agent and telegraph operator at Fairpoint, married Laura Berry of Bridgeport; Frank Wilmer, born Dec. 23, 1870, who is cashier of the First National Bank of Bridgeport, married Carrie Branum; Alonzo Ross, born Dec. 15, 1872, is in the employ of the Crescent Coal Company, - he was married Mar. 30, 1893, to Nona Edwards, and has three children; Elma Novelta, born Jan. 24, 1875, married William F. Lemmon and lives in Harrison County, Ohio; Luman C., born Feb. 7, 1877, is telegraph operator on the Lake Erie Railroad, near Canton, Ohio; Oralena T., born Jan. 13, 1879, is at home; Marion F., born Oct. 17, 1882; Ana Angelica born Dec. 29, 1885; and Alexander Y., Jr.  Religiously the family belongs to the U. P. Church.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page 653)
JOHN LARUE HENDERSON and ROBERT PATTERSON HENDERSON, prominent farmers of Wheeling township, Belmont County, Ohio, are sons of Mathew Hederson and grandsons of Andrew Henderson.
     Matthew Henderson
was united in marriage with Miranda Perrian, who was born in New York City and whose ancestors at an early day moved from Holland to France and at a later day became established in America.  One, Jacob Perrian, was surveyor for William Penn and entered some land, where the city of Philadelphia now stands, and, it is said, leased it for 99 yeas.  Peter Perrian, father of Mrs. Henderson, moved to Ohio in 1821, and in 1822 established an old wheat mill in Belmont County.  He subsequently moved to Harrisville, and then to Monroe County.  He died at the age of 85 years and his wife died four years later at the age of 85 years.  They had seven children all of whom are now deceased.  Matthew Henderson and Miranda Perrian were married on Wheeling Creek in Belmont County in 1831, and there passed the remainder of their lives, the former dying in September, 1862, and the latter, Mar. 1, 1887.  To them were born the following children:  William P., deceased; JOHN LARUE; Wilson; Leander, deceased; Edward, deceased; Matthew C., who was never married and lives in Colerain township; Peter P., deceased; Andrew J.; Alexander, deceased; Mary P., deceased; Miranda, deceased, and ROBERT PATTERSON.
  
  JOHN LARUE HENDERSON was born in Wheeling township, two miles below his present farm, Aug. 6, 1833.  He took to farming at an early day has since continued in that occupation with unvarying success.  He has 122 acres of land and follows general farming and stock raising.  He enlisted in 1864 in the 100-day service, participating in several hard fought battles.  He has never married.  In politics he has always been a stalwart Republican.  Religiously, he was baptized in the old Seceders' Presbyterian Church.
     ROBERT PATTERSON HENDERSON was born where his residence now stands in Wheeling township, June 8, 1855, and has followed farming all his life, remaining at home until after his marriage.  He moved to Oregon, where he lived some 14 months, then moved to Oklahoma Territory, where he was the first man that ever sowed wheat in Pottawatomie County, hauling the seed a distance of 72 miles with ox-teams.  In 1891 he was married to Mary C. Dietrich, a daughter of Philip Dietrich of West Wheeling.  Her parents are of German descent, and she is one of 12 children, all of whom are now living but John.  To this union was born one child, Mabel Esther, born May 4, 1892, in Linn County, Oregon.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 ~ Page 763)

JOHN M. HENDERSON, a hardware merchant of Martin's Ferry, and one of the most industrious business men of the city, owns the finest hardware store in the county, and has numerous other business enterprises that occupy all his attention, among them his interest in the coal lands so abundant throughout the States of Ohio and Pennsylvania.
     Mr. Henderson is a son of Hugh and Margaret (Cowen) Henderson, natives of the Keystone State, and is himself a native of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania, where he was born Feb. 13, 1863.  Hugh Henderson was a stationary engineer by vocation, and followed that occupation throughout most of his lifetime.  Previous to taking this up, however, he was a miller and owned a mill in Pennsylvania for many years until after the Civil War, when in 1869 he removed to Ohio and settled on a farm three miles from Martin's Ferry.  This farm has recently been sold to the Cleveland & Pittsburg Railroad Company, who will open up the coal fields it contains.  Hugh Henderson is now a retired business man and resides at the old Henderson homestead in Martin's Ferry, situated at the head of Walnut street.  He has reached the advanced age of 76 years.  For three score years he has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, has held all the offices accorded to laymen and has been superintendent of the Sunday-school, etc.  His wife died at the age of 66 years, May 6, 1898, having been a lifelong member of the same Methodist Episcopal Church.  She was one of the most devoted of church workers, always painstaking and thorough in all she did, and her deeds and efforts to help others will furnish pleasant, endearing memories to the many, who remember her still, for long years to come.  Mr. and Mrs. Henderson were the parents of six children, our subject being the fifth child.  The others are as follows:  Jennie (Mrs. William P. Green), who resides in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania Homer W., who was first a commercial traveler for the Standard Oil Company until 1887, when he started the hotel business in Pittsburg, which he still carries on with good success; J. B., who is engaged in the coke and coal business at Vanderbilt, Pennsylvania, having enjoyed a very successful career; Emma, who is a resident of the home place with her father, is a very active church worker and possesses many of the qualities and noble traits of character which characterized the efficient services of her mother; and Hugh K., who lives in Pittsburg, where for 14 years he was in the coal business with Joseph Walton, and where he still is identified with the Pittsburg coal combine. 
     John M. Henderson, our subject, received training in the way of education in the commercial department of Frasher's College at Wheeling, West Virginia.  He served an apprenticeship at the Martin's Ferry Stove Works, and was later a member of the Joseph Bell Stove Company, of Wheeling.  He remained at that place until the foundry was moved to Muncie, Indiana, in 1890 and then he found employment in Martin's Ferry, in the Establishment of the Hardware business which he still conducts.  His rooms are large and well supplied with a full line of jobbers' and builders' supplies, shelf hardware, brick, tile, etc., in fact everything that should be handled by a hardware merchant.  The large patronage which he has and the satisfactory manner in which he conducts the business speak for his knowledge of the principles that are best employed, and for his honesty and accommodations as well.  The building which he occupied could not have a better location, as it is on a corner in the business center of the city.
     On Oct. 22, 1892, Mr. Henderson was united in marriage with Ida M. Cope of Smithfield, Ohio, the only child of William and Mary A. Cope, who are members of the Society of Friends, residing at Smithfield.  To the union of our subject and his wife have been born four children, but one of whom is now living.  The record follows:  William H. and Lewis, who died in infancy; Joseph Charles, whose death took place in 1900, at the age of four years; and Lewis B., now three years of age.  Mr. and Mrs. Henderson are devoted to the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which the former has been trustee for over 20 years.
     The business life of Mr. Henderson has many different enterprises to claim his attention, among which are the following.  He is now the president of the First National Bank at Dillonvale, Ohio, which was established in February, 1901.  He is also connected with other banking houses all along the Ohio Valley.  HE has coal stock, and an interest in the mines throughout the surrounding country; in the last three years he has disposed of 80,000 acres of coal land in West Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.  In Belmont County he has bought in fee over 5,000 acres of coal lands and disposed of over 180,000 acres.
     In politics Mr. Henderson is a member of the Republican party, and was elected in 1890 to the City Council of Martin's Ferry, serving as a member two terms and as president of the same for two terms.  He is always active in politics and as a business man is classed among the leaders in the Upper Ohio Valley.  No matter how great the rush in business life, he has time for church, town or county whenever they desire his service or help.
|(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page 489)

ROBERT L. HENDERSON, a photographer by profession, is said to be the best artist in Bellaire, Ohio.  Mr. Henderson was born in 1869 in the city which is still his home, and he is a son of Robert and Hester J. (Sellers) Henderson.  His father was a saddler by trade prior to his removal from Richmond, Virginia.  After locating in Ohio, however, he followed railroad life, being employed in the transportation department of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at Bellaire.  He died in 1895, at the early age of 42 years.
     The mother of our subject is still living, being at the present time a resident of Clarksburg, West Virginia.  She was born in Wheeling, now West Virginia, and is a daughter of V. P. Sellers.  Her father removed from West Virginia to Bellaire, Ohio, where he conducted a jewelry store.
     Mr. Henderson is the eldest of a family of five children:  the others are: Perry, of Parkersburg, West Virginia; Pearl (Ash); Edward, a theatrical man, who makes his home in Wheeling when not on the road; and Cora, who is still at home.  Our subject was educated in the public schools of Bellaire and in his youth learned the photographer's trade with Mr. Sellers an uncle, who now conducts a portable gallery.  He began business on his own behalf in 1896 and has been very successful.  His gallery is located at No. 3161 Union street, just north of Globe Hotel, where he is pleased to see all patrons.  His photographs show the touch of an artist and give excellent satisfaction.
     Emma Coffman, of Bellaire, became the wife of our subject, and they have two children, Paul and Mildred.  Mrs. Henderson's home was formerly in Centreville, Ohio, and the family have a pleasant cottage on Gravel Hill.  In politics our subject is outspoken and true in his allegiance to the Republican party, and in fraternal circles he belongs to the Knights of Pythias and to the K. O. T. M.  The family embrace the religion of the Christian Church and have a large number of friends.  Mr. Henderson, wide awake to the interests of the community, is an upright, consistent and reliable citizen.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page 507)
DR. JOSEPH HEWETSON - See Chapter XIII
ource:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page 144
-
-
-
HON. JESSE W. HOLLINGSWORTH, a gentleman who has attained high distinction as a member of the legal profession, is judge of the Court of Common Pleas of Belmont County, Ohio, and has been a prominent citizen of St. Clairsville for many years. He was born in Flushing. Ohio. August 8, 1849, and is a son of John Hollingsworth, a farmer and stock raiser.
After completing the prescribed course of study in the public schools. Judge Hollingsworth attended Mount Union College, at Alliance, Ohio, from which he was graduated in 1872. Having early in life determined upon a professional career, he entered the law office of Judge D. D. T. Cowen, under whose excellent preceptorship he diligently devoted his time to mastering legal principles, in the meantime gaining much practical experience, which proved of incalculable value to him in later years. He continued in this office for three years, and in October, 1875, was admitted to the bar. Between 1875 and 1882 he was engaged in various enterprises, and in the latter year he opened a law office and engaged in practice at Flushing, Ohio. In 1887 he received the Republican nomination for the office of county attorney, and was elected by a majority of 400,and in 1890 he was re-elected by a majority of 100 more. Upon the expiration of his term, he resumed the practice of law as a partner of James M. Rees, an association which continued until January, 1897, when Mr. Hollingsworth assumed the duties of judge of the Court of Common Pleas, to which office he was elected in 1896, by a majority of 1,471 votes over his Democratic opponent. His comprehensive knowledge of law, his utter impartiality and high sense of justice render him an invaluable public servant. His popularity was again evidenced in 1901, when he was re-elected judge by a large majority for the term expiring in 1907. He has always been an enthusiastic worker for Republican success, believing the principles promulgated in the platforms of that party to be sound and just. He has frequently been sent as a delegate to State and county conventions, and in each campaign since 1885 has stumped the county in the interest of his party.
Fraternally, Judge Hollingsworth was made a Master Mason in Flushing Lodge No. 298; he is a member of Belmont Chapter, No. 30, R. A. M.; he was created a Sir Knight in Hope Commandery, No. 26, K. T., of which he has held the office of eminent commander; he is a member of the Uniform Rank, Knights of Pythias; and of the United Order of American Mechanics. With the attributes which bring" distinction in public life, he combines simplicity in private life, and his true worth and sterling character have endeared him to the citizens of Belmont County to a remarkable degree.
(Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903)

HON. CHARLES J. HOWARD, one of the leading attorneys of Belmont County, Ohio, who was ably represented the county in the State Legislature for two terms, and is now serving the city of Barnesville as attorney, is one of the brilliant young men of this locality who give promise of sustaining the proud reputation which Ohio now holds in the Sisterhood of States.
     Hon. Charles J. Howard was born in Barnesville, on Mar. 26, 1862, a son of Albertus and Mary L. (Fry) Howard, who had a family of three children born to them.  Albertus Howard was the youngest of a family of seven children and was a native of Maryland.  His father moved to Belmont County and died when his son was about four years of age, leaving him ample means which he used, later in life, in extensive tobacco operations continuing the shipping of tobacco ever since.
     Mr. Howard of this biography was afforded excellent educational advantages, his completion of the common and high school course, in Barnesville, being followed by his attendance at the Ohio State University.  Selecting the law as a profession, he began his reading with Collins & Smith, and in 1883 entered the Cincinnati Law School where he graduated in the same year and located in his native city.  His ability soon brought him into prominence, and in 1895 he was elected to the State Legislature, and in 1897 approval of his course was shown by a re-election.  His record while in the House is one reflecting credit upon himself and his constituency.  He has ably served the city as attorney for several terms and his prospects are bright for higher political honors.  His interest in educational matters caused him to give them time and attention on the School Board, and all matters of public moment promising to benefit this locality are sure of his interest.  Mr. Howard is both a Mason and a Knight of Pythias, in his fraternal connection, while in religious matters, he belongs to the Presbyterian denomination and is superintendent of the Sunday-school at the present time.
Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page 485

NOTES:

 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
BELMONT COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights