OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Welcome to
Belmont County
OHIO

BIOGRAPHIES
(Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
JAMES H. DARRAH, a well-known citizen of Bellaire, Ohio, now identified with the steel business, was for many years connected with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad service. He was born in 1837 in Richland township, two and one-half miles south of St. Clairsville, a son of William and Letitia (McFarland) Darrah.
     William Darrah. the father of James H., was a capable and energetic business man and is still remembered both for his integrity and for estimable personal characteristics. He was born in County Antrim, near Belfast, Ireland, and immigrated to the United States, landing at Baltimore, Maryland, prior to 1824, coming to Belmont County, Ohio, in the fall of 1832, during the administration of President Andrew Jackson, for whom he entertained feelings of admiration and from whom he imbibed Democratic principles to which he adhered through life. He was a man of quick wit and shrewd knowledge of human nature. A little incident, remembered by those who heard its relation at a later date, occurred during his long voyage of five months across the Atlantic, which displayed in him a keen understanding of men and motives. A passenger discovered that he had been robbed, and to the council, called to formulate some plan by which to discover the thief, Air. Darrah proposed that straws be prepared to the number of souls on board the vessel, and that each one should draw and that the one who obtained the longest straw should be deemed the thief. This unique plan decided the matter; the thief, in his anxiety to escape the longest straw, bit off a part of his own, making it the only short one in the bunch, for they were originally all of one length. Consequently, the thief was caught and ducked.
William Darrah was accompanied to America by his brother Robert and his sister Jane, the latter of whom married William Clow and resided near Martin's Ferry. Mr. Darrah removed his family to St. Clairsville about 1844. where he engaged for some time in a butchering business, and was later appointed postmaster by President Fierce through Governor Shannon, who was then Congressman, keeping the office in connection with a grocery business in which he continued until his retirement from activity, dying in November, 1870, aged 72 years. His wife, who was a native of Glasgow. Scotland, survived until August, 1872, dying at the age of 66 years. Mr. Darrah was a man of fine physical presence. weighing some 300 pounds, and of pleasant, genial disposition. capable of winning attached friends. By a former marriage he had two sons and a daughter born to him. while nine sons were born to his latter union with the mother of our subject. These were: John, deceased. the father of D. H. Darrah, ex-postmaster of Bellaire, of whom extended mention may be found in another part of this volume; Robert, who has been deceased some 20 years; Walter, who resides at St. Clairsville; William, who resides at Martin's Ferry; Barton, who died at the age of 65 years; James H.; David, of St. Clairsville; Wilson Shannon, who died at the age of five years, and Alexander, who resides at St. Clairsville.
     James H. Darrah was about seven years of age when his parents located in St. Clairsville, and it was in this place that he was mainly educated. He assisted his father for six years in the post office, and from 1861 to 1865 he served as deputy sheriff, under Sheriff George H. Umstead, and then was made deputy auditor under R. M. Clark, who was auditor of Belmont County, remaining in this office for four years and eight months. In December, 1872, he removed to Bellaire, bringing his family to this city in January, 1873, since which time it has been their home. For the past 21 years they have resided in their comfortable residence at No. 3744 Belmont street, which Mr. Darrah erected about 1881. After coming to Bellaire, Mr. Darrah became a member of the clerical force of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad and continued with that great corporation for 28 years. Since 1900 he has been connected with the steel works.
     In 1863 Mr. Darrah was married to Lydia A. Taggart, who was born in Belmont County, a daughter of John and Nancy Taggart, the former of whom, a native of Belmont County, followed farming all his life and died August 18. 1895. aged 87 years, a son of a native of Tyrone, Ireland. Mrs. Taggart died in 1893, aged 81 years. Both were sadly missed, as they were highly esteemed by many friends and beloved by their surviving children. The record of the brothers and sisters of Mrs. Darrah is as follows: Joseph R., now a resident of St. Petersburg. Florida, who was at one time prominent in Illinois, where he served two terms as sheriff of his county; Catherine, who died in infancy: At well, who is deceased; James H.. who is a grain dealer in Illinois; Mrs. Mary Morrison, of St. Clairsville, and Mrs. Agnes D. Roberts, deceased, her husband residing in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Darrah, all of whom have passed away; Harry, Jesse, Charles and Florence dying in infancy, and Mary L., the eldest daughter, in December, 1899. She was a lady who was well known to the citizens of Bellaire, having served three years in the post office under D. W. Cooper and D. H. Darrah, and was universally loved for her amiable manner and beautiful womanly character.
     In politics Mr. Darrah is a Democrat, although not an active politician. Both he and his wife belong to the First Presbyterian Church. It has been a pleasant custom of the members of the Darrah family in this locality to hold yearly reunions, and these gatherings have assembled for the past two years at Wheeling Park.
JOSEPH W. DARRAH, M. D., a leading physician and surgeon of Martin's Ferry, Belmont County, Ohio, is also one of the city's most progressive and public-spirited citizens. Dr. Darrah was born in Belmont County, February 5, 1858, and is a son of William and Louisa I. K. (Finney) Darrah, both natives of Belmont County.
     William Darrah was born June 11, 1835, in St. Clairsville, and is still an honored resident of the county. For many years he has been one of the leading members of the Presbyterian Church, as was also his wife, who was born in June, 1835, and died February 1, 1876. Our subject is the eldest of a family of five children, the others being: James A., a farmer of Belmont County; Lizzie May, who married William S. Tweed, of Steubenville, Ohio, and died at the age of 29 years; Walter H., a druggist at Indianapolis, Indiana; and Nevada A., who married Athelbert Pickens and resides at Scotch Ridge, in this county.
     The early education of Dr. Darrah was secured in the public schools of the county, and then he began his medical reading under the late Dr. A. J. Alexander, of Scotch Ridge. Entering Western Reserve Medical College at Cleveland, Ohio, he graduated there in the class of 1882, and began practice at once at Mount Pleasant, Ohio, remaining there for one year. In 1883 he located at Martin's Ferry, Ohio, where he has remained ever since. For 15 years he has conducted a drug business in connection with an office practice, and has been very successful. Dr. C. B. Probst, secretary of the State Board of Health, made our subject health officer of this city, and his choice has been justified by the close care taken and the careful sanitary conditions maintained for the past seven years. But for the excellent condition in which the city was found, the late siege of smallpox might have become epidemic.  Dr. Darrah is a valued member of the Ohio State Medical Association and is serving at present as a member of the School Board of Martin's Ferry.
     It was Dr. Darrah who organized the volunteer fire department of Martin's Ferry and an associate order known as the Independent Racing Hose Team, this team being very successful in contests, having won 11 successive victories. They in fact hold the world's record, won at Sandusky, which demonstrated their ability to run 231 2-3 yards and lay 200 feet of hose, break connections and screw on nozzle ready to throw water, in 29 seconds. This record is sworn to by the three judges, three timers and three starters. This same company, on October 11, 1895, won the world's record and received the "Diamond Belt," worth $1,000, studded with diamonds and $250 worth of gold, which was competed for by companies from many States. This was received at the Cotton States Exposition at Atlanta, Georgia, The team has 20 members, all of them from Martin's Ferry. The feats of this team have advertised the city probably more than any one enterprise. They received a great ovation at Atlanta, and while there they organized the "Ohio Association of Atlanta." As no tippler is allowed in this company, their success may in part be attributed to their temperate habits. It has been in operation for 14 years, and during all this time our subject has been the foreman and leading spirit in it.
     Dr. Darrah is president of the Martin's Ferry Board of Trade, which was organized in 1902. He was one of the incorporators and is a director of the German Savings Bank of Martin's Ferry, recently organized, and is justly regarded as one of the city's most energetic and prominent citizens.
     The marriage of our subject took place March 11, 1880, to Mary Agnes Blackford, a native of Belmont County, being a daughter of Hamilton and Maria (Paden) Blackford. The two children of this union are: Ethel, a graduate of the Martin's Ferry High School in the class of 1901; and Lawrence A., a student at that institution, in the class of 1904. The family attend the Presbyterian Church. In Masonic circles the Doctor is well known, belonging to the blue lodge, F. & A. M.; Belmont Chapter, R. A. M., and Hope Commandery, No. 26, K. T., in which he is past commander. He has represented his lodge at Toledo and in the grand lodge at Springfield. Dr. Darrah enjoys fraternal associations and is devoted to their interests. Pie has been found at every meeting of the Northeastern Ohio Volunteer Firemen's Association except two, and is the president of the same. Few men in Martin's Ferry are better known, more popular or more generally esteemed.
Warren Twp. -
BENJAMIN DAVENPORT, who for many years was one of the leading citizens of Warren township, Belmont County, Ohio, and an important factor in the commercial growth of Barnesville, passed out of life, full of years and honors, Apr. 19, 1885.
     The birth of Mr. Davenport took place February 2, 1813, and he was one of a family of eight children born to Hon. John and Martha (Colson) Davenport,  who came from Virginia to Barnesville in 1818.  The other members of the family were:  Colson, who represented his constituents during two terms in the State Legislature: Eleanor; Mary A.; Rebecca C.; John A. and William, who died in infancy, the deaths of George H. and Samuel occurring later in life.
     In 1834 Benjamin Davenport was united in marriage with Anna M. Bradshaw, a daughter of Maj. William Bradshaw.  She died in August, 1889, and the children of this union were as follows:  Ellen M.; Adrianna, the wife of Col. W. C. Watson of East Liverpool, Ohio; Betty L., wife of C. C. Minton, of Marion, Kansas; Harriet F., who is the wife of Judge James H. Collins, one of the most eminent jurists of the State of Ohio; John W., deceased; and James, who is in business in Baltimore, Maryland.  After marriage Mr. Davenport embarked in the mercantile business which occupied his energies almost through his life, being associated during the greater part of the time with his brother Colson, and William A. Talbott.   The reliable and upright character of Mr. Davenport made him of great value in his township as justice of the peace for many years and during a part of his career he served as recorder and also as mayor.  He took a personal pride in the religious development of the city, and with pleasure served for 30 years as superintendent of the Methodist Sabbath-school.
     Although his family name was one held in respect in Belmont County, he did not need its luster to illumine his life, for its own acts testified to its worth.  Scrupulously honest, whole-souled, kind-hearted and charitable, he not only looked after the welfare of those dependent upon him, but he willingly shared with others who were unfortunate.  Friends won were always friends.  Belmont county never lost a more upright, useful or conscientious man than Benjamin Davenport, and the testimonials to his worth were general through the city in which his estimable life had exerted its beneficent influence.
(Page 553)
Warren Twp -
HON. JOHN DAVENPORT was one of the most notable men of Barnesville.  As merchant, statesman and jurist, he was foremost in his day and generation. 
     Migrating from the Valley of Virginia in 1818, Mr. Davenport entered upon a successful business career in Barnesville.  Eight years later he entered the field of politics, and was elected to Congress, where he became a warm persona. and political friend of Henry Clay.  In 1830 he was elected to the General Assembly of Ohio, where his vigilance in the joint convention corrected an error that secured the election of Hon. Thomas Ewing as United States Senator.  The following year the Legislature elected Mr. Davenport associate judge for Belmont County for the full term.  Notwithstanding his activity in county and State affairs, Mr. Davenport was also intensely energetic in the cause of education and religion.  He was a pillar in the Methodist Episcopal Church and the first superintendent of the first Sabbath-school in the township.
(Page 227)
CHALKLEY DAWSON

Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page  693

DR. A. W. DIVEN was born at West Lebanon, Pennsylvania.  He was graduated at Jefferson Medical College in 1895, and also took a course in the University of the South, Swanee, Tennessee, the same year.  Since his graduation, he has practiced medicine at Martin's Ferry, Ohio.  Dr. Diven is one of the brightest of the young men of the Society.  His reputation is good, he stands on solid ground, and a bright future is predicted for him.
Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page
 152
JAMES O. DIXON, who owns a small farm of 22 acres in Richland township, two miles southeast of St. Clairsville, has been living at his present abode since 1885 and is a man of ability, well-read and well-educated. His birth occurred in 1848 in Monroe County, and he is a son of Alexander and Rachel (McKelvey) Dixon, who now reside on the farm with him and his family.
     Alexander Dixon was born in 1824, and led a useful career as a farmer for many years previous to making his home with our subject. His wife was a daughter of James and Nancy McKelvey, and was born in Wheeling township in 1822. They had six children, whose names are as follows: James O.; Jennie, who married Reuben Garber and lives in Martin's Ferry; Robert S., deceased; David A., living in Byesville, Guernsey County; Sarah A., also deceased; and William R., who was killed on the railroad in1895. Mr. and Mrs Dixon are members of the Presbyterian Church, and our subject and his family also worship there. In fraternal circles Mr. Dixon is a member of the I. O. O. F. organization, and in politics he is a Democrat and votes a straight ticket.
     James O. Dixon removed to Belmont County in 1865, and for a time was located near Belmont, but later changed his residence to the farm where he resides at present. He obtained a good education in his youth, became a teacher, and for 30 consecutive years taught school before engaging in farming. He is also interested in life insurance at this writing, and, altogether, is a very busy man.
     In 1879 our subject was united in marriage with Monica King, a daughter of James and Margaret King, who was born near Glencoe, Richland township, in 1845. Their union was prolific of two children, Howard K., born in 1880, and Earl H., born in 1883, the former a teacher, and the latter, local editor on the "Martin's Ferry Times." In April, 1899, our subject was called upon to mourn the loss of his beloved companion and wife, her death taking place at that time.
     Fraternally Mr. Dixon affiliates with the Knights of Pythias, being a member of the St. Clairsville lodge. In politics he is an earnest Democrat in his views, and in 1880 was candidate for recorder. Mr. Dixon is a shrewd, capable business man.
CHARLES P. DOBBINS, a well-known wool and fur dealer of Barnesville, Ohio, has, for over 30 years, prominently identified himself with the business interests of the town. His present business undertaking, which he has conducted for several years, is the largest of its kind in Belmont County, and his successful management of its affairs has won him the confidence of the people far and near. He is a stockholder in the First National Bank, and has long served as a member of the board of directors of that institution. He is a product of healthy country life and a practical business atmosphere, and was born on a farm in Belmont County, Ohio, August 1. 1850, being a son of James and Lydia (Nichols) (Hatcher) Dobbins.
     James Dobbins was a native of New Jersey, and was a well-known figure in Barnesville for many years. In early life, he learned the cooper's trade, which, together with agricultural occupations, he followed throughout his active life. Upon coming to Ohio, James Dobbins settled near Morristown, where he engaged in coopering and also in farming. After remaining there for some years, he settled in Warren township, near Barnesville. upon a farm, which he operated in connection with the coopering business, and achieved a fair amount of success. He later located near Somerton, Ohio, following the same occupations there. About 1842, he removed to Barnesville. where he spent the remainder of his life, dying May 30, 1883, at the advanced age of 86 years. In early manhood, he married Mrs. Lydia (Nichols) Hatcher, by whom he reared three children, as follows: Annie M., James A., and Charles P. Mrs. Dobbins' life came to a close February 27, 1892, at the age of 76 years.
     Charles P. Dobbins was mainly reared in Barnesville, Ohio, and in the town's public schools secured the educational training and developed the habits of industry which have so materially assisted him in his business life. At the early age of 10 years, he began work in a wool factory, where he remained for six year, in this period acquiring a good knowledge of the wool industry. Later, he went into a cooper shop, and learned the business with the intention of making it his life's work, but soon after he had established himself in a knowledge of the craft, new machinery was introduced into cooper shops that rendered his knowledge of the trade of little use to him. With this obstacle confronting him, he decided to turn his attention to the fur and wool business, in which he had previously acquired considerable knowledge. Accordingly, he opened an establishment for this industry in Barnesville, and had no difficulty in working up a good trade. From time to time he has enlarged his business, buying up large quantities of wool and pelts, which he shipped to the various markets, and, as stated before, he now operates one of the largest concerns of the kind in Belmont County. The success that has come to him is certainly well merited.
     Mr. Dobbins married Amanda M. Blakemore, and this union has been blessed by two childrenóLaura M., who resides at home, and Willard B., who passed from this life December 29, 1900. Mr. Dobbins has always evinced a keen interest in public affairs. Though but 16 years of age when the Civil War broke out, he secured his father's permission to become a soldier, and enlisted in Company D, 185th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., and served with distinction under Captain Rodecker, in the Army of Kentucky, with General Thomas. He received his honorable discharge in 1865. He has served six years as a member of the City Council and two terms as a member of the Board of Education, of which he is now serving as president. He is a stanch supporter of Republican principles and is quite influential in the ranks of that party. His wife and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Barnesville. Fraternally, he is a valued member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
RICHARD ARTHINGTON DOSTER, the popular postmaster of Temperanceville, Sommerset township, Belmont County, and for the past 11 years its leading merchant, was born in 1864, in Greenfield, Highland County, Ohio, and has been a resident of Belmont County since 1881.
     Mr. Doster is of old and honorable ancestry, his maternal line being the same as that of Alexander H. Stephens, the leading statesman of the Southern Confederacy, while a long and uninterrupted line leads on the paternal side as far back as Queen Elizabeth, of England.  His father is Aaron B. C. Doster, who for many years was a commercial traveler and now assists in the management of his son's establishment in Temperanceville.
     Aaron B. C. Doster was born in 1832 near Martinsburg, Fayette County, Ohio, and accompanied his son to Belmont County in 1881.  In politics he supports the Republican party and is fraternally a Mason.  The mother of our subject of Louisa Jane Stephens, who was born in Monroe County, and died in 1870, at the early age of 29 years.  She had been the devoted mother of four children, namely: John S., deceased; Richard A., of this sketch; Mary H. (Mrs. William Mace, of Temperanceville); and Hattie F., deceased.
     Our subject received excellent educational advantages, attending Woodsfield High School and Greenfield Seminary, following which he engaged for nine years in teaching school, five of these being in the schools of Temperanceville.  Embarking in the mercantile business.  Mr. Doster has continued to yearly expand until he now carries as complete and well assorted a stock of goods as can be found in any town of its size in the county.  His trade is a critical one and extends over a wide scope of country.  In April, 1897, he was appointed postmaster, and still continues in office.
     In May, 1896, Mr. Doster was united in marriage with Annie L. Gallagher, who was born in Temperanceville in 1871, and is a daughter of Austin and Barbara (Harren) Gallagher, and a niece of the distinguished Catholic Bishop, Nicholas Gallagher, of Galveston, Texas.  The two children born to this union are: Louisa Marie, born in 1897; and Charles Ralph, born in 1900.  Mrs. Doster, a lady of refinement and culture, is a devoted daughter of the Catholic Church.  Mr. Doster belongs to the Knights of Pythias.
JOSIAH W. DOUDNA, secretary and treasurer of the Eastern Ohio Glass Company, is one of the leading and representative citizens of Barnesville, Ohio.  He has been prominently identified with the various progressive movements which have given this city a leading position in the county, and has contributed time, advice and means to the furtherance of permanent enterprises of benefit to the community.
     The birth of Josiah W. Doudna occurred in Warren township, Belmont County, Ohio, in September, 1849.  He was one of four children born to Joseph F. and Belinda (Hobern) Doudna. The father is one of the oldest farmers in the county.  He is also a native of Belmont County, where he was born 78 years ago, and is still living in Warren township, a short distance from the city limits.
     Josiah W. Doudna attended the common schools and was afterward a pupil in the Friends' School at Westtown, Pennsylvania.  For a number of years he was engaged in business in Barnesville, and was well and widely known in this connection.  Progressive in spirit, it was Mr. Doudna who introduced the first telephone system into Barnesville, and later a company was formed, including E. F. Doudna, I. L. Smith and T. W. Branson.  This company was organized in 1895 under the name of the Barnesville Telephone Company, and the enterprise has proved to be of the greatest benefit to the public and a financial success to the stockholders.  For three years it was successfully conducted, but in February, 1898, the system passed into the control of the Bell Telephone Company, Three months later all of the apparatus of the former company was destroyed, a short distance from the town, by fire.  The new company provided another equipment, and in September, 1898, the long distance accommodation was established.  Of this system Albert H. Doudna, a son of Josiah W., located in Bridgeport, is the general manager operating in Belmont County.  At one time, in association with his brother Edwin, the subject of this sketch was interested in several well-drilling machines.  For a number of years Mr. Doudna has been one of the directors of the People's National Bank of Barnesville, and a member of the executive board of the Independent Glass Company, of Pittsburg. The Eastern Ohio Glass Company, in which Mr. Doudna is secretary and treasurer, is one of the leading industries of Barnesville. It employs 225 men and has the largest and best equipped factory in this part of the State, and sends finished goods over a good part of the world. Their excellent quality and line finish have made them desirable wherever introduced, and caused a great demand for them.
     Mr. Doudna was married to Ruth Bundy, a niece of Hon. William Bundy, of Warren township, and a daughter of John Bundy, one of the oldest residents of Belmont County. Two sons and two daughters were born to this union. Mr. Doudna is social by nature and enjoys an active membership in the F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. He belongs to and is State representative in the encampment in the latter, and is a member of the chapter and commandery of St. Clairsville in the former. His political affiliation is with the Republican party. although he has never consented to accept political office. The family is held in the highest esteem in Belmont County.
HENRY W. DOUGLASS

Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page 594

DR. J. N. DRENNEN, born in Belmont County, near Morristown, Ohio, Feb. 8, 1863, studied medicine under Drs. Estep and Thompson.  He graduated in Cleveland July 30, 1890, from the medical department of the University of Wooster, now called the College of Physicians and Surgeons.  Early in 1890 he located at Fairview, Guernsey County, Ohio.  He remained in Fairview until the following September, when he returned to Loydsville and entered in a co-partnership with the late Dr. Estep and continued with him until his death Oct. 6, 1897.  Since Dr. Estep's death, he has practiced alone in Loydsville.  He was married Mar. 16, 1898, to Mrs. Louisa L. Griffith.
    
For a number of years the Doctor has been physician to the Belmont County Infirmary.  To use the Doctor's own expression, "there is nothing else except what is the daily experience of a country physician's life."  Such a life we all know means a life devoted to noble purposes.
Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page 151
JAMES F. DuBOIS, a young business man of Bellaire, Ohio, whose enterprise and ability have placed him in the forefront of a number of substantial enterprises in Bellaire, is one whose success may rank him in the future with other captains of industry.
     James F. DuBois was born near Bridgeport, Belmont County, Ohio, in 1854, and is one of six sons born to John DuBois, who is well known in the lumber and planing-mill business.  Morris DuBois, a brother to James F., served for a period as city treasurer of Bellaire.  When about 12 years of age our subject came with his parents to Bellaire, and entered his father's planing-mill as bookkeeper, remaining there for several years.  Later he became teller of the Dollar Savings Bank, where he remained for three years.  As an organizer his ability was first shown in the forming of the Enterprise Enamel Company, of which he was secretary for some time.  He then served for six months as secretary of the Novelty Stamping Company.  Experience teaches and through a number of business ventures and successes Mr. DuBois reaches his present responsible position of secretary, treasurer and general manager of the Bellaire Brick Company, A Delaware corporation, recently formed.  This business was established in the spring of 1900 by our subject, in conjunction with S. H. and H. H. Criswell, all being stockholders.  In 1901 the business was incorporated under the laws of the State  of Delaware, with the following officers: S. H. Criswell, president; H. H. Criswell, vice-president, and James F. DuBois, secretary, treasurer and general manager.  The business site was bought from J. A. Gallaher and Crozier brothers, but the buildings have been almost entirely erected by the present company.  Ten and one-half acres of ground are utilized, the clay and other ingredients being found on the place.  The product is red brick, the capacity of a 10-hour day being from 35,000 to 40,000 bricks.  The burning of the brick is done with coal, but natural gas is used for drying.
     A notable invention belonging to and used by this company is the result of ideas of Mr. DuBois, which enables the company to take the wet clay form the bank, mold it into bricks, burn the bricks, and load them on the cars ready for shipment in 72 yours, and with but one handling.  This is something entirely new in brick-making, and the invention is being rapidly developed to perfection.  From 15 to 20 men are given employment.
     The Enameled Steel Tile Company is a recently incorporated business enterprise of Bellaire, its articles of incorporation bearing date the June 25, 1902.  The industry is for the manufacture of metallic tile, enameled, for use in bath-rooms, for hearths, ceilings, in all colors and designs, with a finish which is guaranteed to be durable.  The plant for this great industry will be located on lower Union street, and will have a capacity of 3,000 square feet of ceiling per day of 10 hours, and will give employment to a large number of people.  It has been incorporated with a capital of $50,000, and its officers are the following substantial citizens:  James F. DuBois, president; E. J. A. Drennen, of Martin's Ferry, vice president; J. W. Garber, secretary and treasurer; and William Landkrohn, manager.  Mr. DuBois is a tireless worker, and he has ever at heart the best interests of those organizations with which he is connected.
     Our subject was married in 1895 to a daughter of Alexander Heatherington, and a granddaughter of Jacob HeatheringtonJacob Heatherington is one of the most venerable residents of Belmont County, to which he came in 1832, and is nearing his 90th birthday.  During his business career he was a very prominent coal operator.  Mr. and Mrs. DuBois have one son, John Alexander.  The family residence is located at No. 1766 Belmont street.  The family are members of the Christian Church, although Mr. DuBois is liberal to all denominations.  In politics he is a Republican, and is fraternally prominent as a Knight of Pythias and a Mason, being a member of Bellaire Lodge, F. & A. M., and also of the chapter and council of Bellaire.
Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page 556
JOHN DuBOIS, a noted lumber dealer and manufacturer of Bellaire, Ohio, is indigenous to Belmont County, his birth having taken place June 4, 1838, in Colerain township.  He is a son of John and Elizabeth (Douglas) Du Bois, both native of County Antrim, Ireland, where their marriage vows were exchanged.  Five children were born to them before they left their native land.  After emigration they settled in Belmont County, Ohio and  in time four more children were born to them.  The father was a blacksmith by trade and followed that occupation for some years with such success that he purchased a farm in Colerain township and engaged in agricultural pursuits.  Success crowned his efforts and he acquired a large amount of land.  He died in 1880, having previously lost his companion and helpmeet in 1857.
     Dr. DuBois has one brother living, Maj. Joseph M. DuBois, of Dallas, Texas, who served during the Civil War in the 15th Ohio Regiment and rendered valuable services to our country.  The subject of this narrative remained at home upon his father's farm until he attained the age of 35 years, and he still owns and managers the homestead farm in Colerain township.  He located in Bellaire in 1876, succeeding in the lumber business his brother, Alexander, whose demise took place about that time.  Mr. DuBois has followed that line of work constantly ever since.  In 1880 he built a planing mill on Central avenue and Harrison street.  This mill has been operated for nearly a quarter of a century under the firm name of DuBois & McCoy, and turns out a large amount of work.  Mr. DuBois has been twice married.  In early manhood he married Margaret Frazier, who died in October, 1888, leaving seven sons, as follows:  James F., whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume; John A.; Samuel L., a minister of the United Presbyterian Church; Joseph M., ex-city treasurer and at present bookkeeper at the mill; David Douglas, a law student at Columbus; Charles McConkey, who died at the early age of four years, and Lawrence Lorain, who is also employed at the mill.
     Some time after the decease of his first wife our subject married the present Mrs. DuBois, whose maiden name was Sarah Atkinson, she was reared near Wheeling, West Virginia.  The family prefer the religion of the United Presbyterian Church.  Politically, Mr. DuBois is an ardent Republican, and although not a politician he has been honored with the confidence of the people in his community and has served his party faithfully.  From 1892 to 1894 he served as mayor of Bellaire, and his administration of city affairs during his term was commendable.  As a business man he is straightforward and upright in his dealings, and he has few equals in the lumber business.  Years of constant toil have brought to him a well-deserved rew3ard, and he has long since reached an enviable position financially.  He has a beautiful home which he built some time ago at No. 4211 Noble street.  His office is located on Central avenue.
Source:  Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Page 647

NOTES:

 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
BELMONT COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights