A Part of Genealogy Express
Welcome to
History & Genealogy


History of Ashtabula County, Ohio

with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
of its
Pioneers and Most Prominent Men.
by Publ. Philadelphia - Williams Brothers -
(Transcribed by Sharon Wick)



David Edward Kelley,
DAVID EDWARD KELLEY, DDB.    This gentleman, who is a citizen of Ashtabula, and who is regarded as a rising young man in the field of dentistry, is a native of this county, the son of David H. Kelley, Esq., of Saybrook township.  May 8, 1853, is the date of his birth.  His education was obtained at the district schools of his native township and at Grand River institute, Austinburg.  His professional education was obtained at the Philadelphia Dental college, Philadelphia, receiving from that institution his graduating diploma, Feb. 27, 1875.  In 1875, November 11, he was united in marriage with Nellie Roy Moore, daughter of M. M. and Helen Moore, Erie, Pennsylvania.  Mr. and Mrs. Kelley are the parents of one child, Edward Raymond Kelley, born Sept. 1, 1876.  Mr. Kelley is a gentleman of unblemished character, is attentive to his business, skillful in dentistry, studious of his profession, ambitious to attain the highest standard, and is highly esteemed by his professional brethren.
Source: 1798 History of Ashtabula County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers and Most Prominent Men by Publ. Philadelphia - Williams Brothers - 1878 - Page 145

Hon. Abner Kellogg

 HON. ABNER KELLOGG.  Abner Kellogg was born in Alford, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, Jan. 8, 1812.  He was the fourth of nine children, five sons and four daughters.  The oldest, Laura, born Aug. 4, 1806; married to Dr. Greenleaf Fifield, of Conneaut, Feb. 28, 1830; now living in Conneaut a widow.  Second, Louisa, born Jan. 22, 1808; married to S. B. McClung, Nov. 23, 1826, who died May 22, 1829; again married June 23, 1832, to James M. Bloss, since deceased.  Third, Walter, who died in infancy.  Fifth, William, born in Salem, Ohio, July 8, 1814.  Sixth, Lucius Dean, born in Salem, June 9, 1816; studied medicine; attended medical and surgical lectures, and graduated at Geneva, New York, in 1840; now living in East Ashtabula, Ohio.  Seventh, Clarissa, born Oct. 12, 1819, in Monroe; married Jan. 16, 1841, to Robert Lyon, of Conneaut; now living a widow.  Eighth, Amos, died in infancy; and ninth, Pauline, born in Monroe, Jan. 13, 1824; married to William B. Dennison, Jan. 3, 1844, and died in the city of Buffalo, New York, Sept. 10, 1844.
     Like boys of his age in those early times, Abner attended the common schools of the district, sustained by the voluntary contributions of the patrons according to the number of pupils sent, for a few months during the winter; attended a district school taught by the late Hon. B. F. Wade for one term, and labored on the farm during the summer until, at the age of eighteen years, he graduated, after six weeks' attendance as the old Jefferson academy, under the instruction of L. M. Austin, Esq., of Austinburg.  In his early manhood his business occupations were keeping a village tavern, farming, buying and driving cattle to an eastern market for sale.  In December, 1834, was elected a justice of the peace for Monroe township, re-elected in 1837, and resigned Nov. 13, 1840.
     He was one of the early anti-slavery men of the county, and an ardent Whig, and, at the Whig County Convention of 1839, with the late Colonel G. W. St. John, of Morgan, was nominated as a candidate for a member of the legislature, a nomination by the Whig party at that time being regarded as equivalent to an election.  The ticket presented by that convention to the people of Ashtabula County for their support and approval contained the names of the late Benj. F. Wade, for State senator; Colonel Gains W. St. John and Abner Kellogg, for members of the house of representatives; Platt R. Spencer, for county treasurer; and Flavel Sutliff, then the law partner of Hon. J. R. Giddings, and a younger brother of Judge Milton Sutliff, of Warren, for prosecuting attorney, with others for the different offices, - all of whom were then known as anti-slavery Whigs.  Upon the nomination of this ticket some disaffected Whigs, with the few Democrats then in the county, united in calling a union convention, and nominated a ticket made up of Whigs and Democrats, each one of whom was then regarded as a pro-slavery man.  And, what may now be regarded as a singular fact, the opposition to the agitation of the slavery question was such at that time in Ashtabula county that the entire Whig ticket, with B. F. Wade at its head, was defeated at the election, and pro-slavery men elected instead.
     In 1843 he was again nominated as a candidate for a member of the house of representatives by the Whigs, and elected by his party.  In the spring of 1845 he exchanged property in Kelloggsville for farm lands in Sheffield, to which he removed with his family in the early part of April of that year, where for the next four years, he engaged in farming and making lumber.  In 1846 he was appointed, and performed the duties of, one of the appraisers of real estate in the county, and in November, 1847, was elected justice of the peace for Sheffield, which office held until the spring of 1849.  As the spring term of the court of common pleas in 1849 he was appointed clerk of that court, and in May of that year removed from Sheffield to Jefferson, where he has since resided.  Under this appointment he held the office of clerk until the adoption of the new constitution, in 1852, when he was elected to the same office, and re-elected in 1855.
     At the September term of the district court, 1857, he was admitted to the bar, and in the spring of 1858 commenced the practice of his profession in company with the late Colonel A. S. Hall and Judge D S. Wade, which partnership continued until the retirement of Colonel Hall and the election of Wade to the office of probate judge, when, in the autumn of 1860, he formed a partnership and is now doing business with E. Jay Pinney, Esq.
At the general election of 1863 he was elected a member of the house of representatives, where he served two sessions.  On the expiration of his term in the house he was elected to the State senate, when, on the first day of the first session of the senate of 1866, he, among other things, introduced his resolution to amend the State constitution by striking the word "white" from article five, section one, thereby giving the elective franchise to the colored men, which resolution was adopted by the requisite two-thirds majority, with an objectionable amendment at the close of the session of 1867, submitted to the people and defeated the same year; thus showing that as late as 1867 the people of Ohio refused to give the elective franchise to the colored man, thousands of whom had volunteered and been accepted to fight the battles of the War of the Rebellion and save the nation from dissolution and ruin.
     On the expiration of his term in the senate, in 1867, he retired from political life, since which time he has devoted his time and attention to private business and that connected with the Second National Bank of Jefferson, of which he is and for some years has been director and president.  Being uncompromisingly hostile to human slavery and ardently attached to the Union, and believing from the first that the Rebellion would ultimately work the extinction of slavery from all our fair and proud land, he gave the best energies of his mature manhood towards raising men and means for the support of the government, and contributed of his time and money for that purpose.  Politically a Whig, Free-soiler, and Republican successively, he always attached himself to and acted with the spirit of the constitution and the natural rights of man, and gave his earnest and active support to Mr. Greeley, for President, in 1872.
     Making no profession of any distinctive religious faith or dogma, he for many years contributed of his means to the support of that branch of the church known as Congregational.  Mr. Kellogg died, suddenly and unexpectedly, on the 27th day of April, 1878.
     Matilda Kellogg, his wife, was born at Vernon, Trumbull county, Ohio, Oct. 4, 1815; was the daughter of Allen and Maria Spencer, and granddaughter of General Martin Smith who emigrated from Hartland, Connecticut, to Vernon, with his family, in 1799, and died at the age of ninety-five, after a long, useful and exemplary public and private life.  The mother of Matilda dying in her infancy, and her father contracting a second marriage, after a few years spent with her father and step-mother in Hartford, Trumbull county, Ohio, and the death of her father in 1830, went to Kelloggsville, and remained with an aunt until she was married to the subject of this sketch, Oct. 2, 1834, at the age of nineteen years.
     Having a delicate physical organization   able to resist the demands and strain made upon it by the rearing of a family, and the cares, labors, and responsibilities incident thereto, her life has been one of much pain and suffering, all of which she has borne with great fortitude and patience, and discharged all the duties of an affectionate and devoted wife and a wise and conscientious mother, regardless of any and all consequences to herself, and is still living at the age of sixty-three years, the mother of three sons and three daughters all living.
Source: 1798 History of Ashtabula County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers and Most Prominent Men by Publ. Philadelphia - Williams Brothers - 1878 - Page 106

  HON. AMOS & MARTIN KELLOGGAmo+s Kellogg was born in Alford, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, June 17, 1782, was married to Paulina Dean, July 30, 1805, and was the seventh in a family of nine children, each one of whom lived to maturity and reared families of their own.  Amos and his brother Martin, two years his senior, who had previously married Miss Anna Lester, remained at home as the joint owners of and cultivating the old homestead until 1811, when one Colwell, of Albany, New York, who was the owner of a large tract of wild lands in western Virginia, by representing his land to be valuable for farming purposes and just coming into market, and offering him the position of surveyor and general agent for the sale of his lands, with a liberal compensation, induced Martin, who was a practical and skillful surveyor, to accept his offer.  Accordingly, after the necessary preparations, on the 12th day of June, 1811, Martin with his family,—consisting of his wife and two children, aged respectively seven and three years,—started from the old homestead to seek a new home in the then far west; their outfit consisting of a pair of horses, wagon, and harness, carrying the family and household goods.  The route taken was from Alford to Newburg, where they crossed the Hudson river, from thence to eastern New Jersey, Bethlehem, Allentown, Reading, Harrisburg, Carlisle, and Chambersburg, Pennsylvania; Cumberland, Maryland; Clarksburg and Parkersburg, Virginia, to Belpre, Ohio.  On arriving at his destination, after a journey of some six hundred miles, occupying some five weeks,—having crossed the Blue Ridge and seen the country,—he became satisfied that nothing could be done in the way of selling lands that then were hardly worth surveying.  He was, therefore, on the point of turning back and retracing his journey, without unloading his goods, when he was offered a house to shelter him for a season.  This induced him to remain until he could better determine what to do.  He remained at Belpre, on the Ohio river, until the death of his father, late in the autumn of 1812, when, on the 24th of December of that year, he started on foot to return to the old homestead, following the same route traversed on his journey the year previous, arriving at Alford about the 1st day of January, 1813.  On the failure of the land enterprise, the death of their father, and the return of Martin, the brothers concluded to embrace one of the then many opportunities to exchange cultivated farms in the east for wild lands in what was then known as New Connecticut.  They accordingly made such exchange, receiving for the old homestead eleven hundred and fifty acres of uncultivated land situated in Ashtabula and Geauga counties.  Early in 1813, Martin returned to Belpre, and with his family removed to their new lands in Salem, in this county, in time to erect a log house, one mile north of the present village of Kelloggsville, in which they spent the winter of 1813-14.  In February, 1814, Amos with his family,—consisting of his aged mother, wife, two daughters, aged respectively eight and six years, and a son, aged two years, with a hired laborer,—started from their old homestead for their new home in the wilderness of New Connecticut, the outfit being four horses with two sleighs, carrying the family and household goods.  Arriving at Phelpstown, Ontario county, New York, where his wife had expected to meet her father, two brothers, and a younger sister, who had preceded her the year before and settled in that locality, she learned for the first time, by a messenger whom she met but a few rods from the door, that her father had died since she had started on her journey.  After a short visit among relatives in what was then known as the “Genesee country,” they pursued their journey until they arrived at their new home early in March, after a journey of more than five hundred miles entirely on runners, and occupying four weeks.  On the arrival of Amos with his family, in the spring of 1814, the brothers, who were still partners, and held both real and personal property in common, commenced clearing and opening up their new lands preparatory to cultivation, and during the following six years, while they so remained in company, they cleared, fenced, and brought under cultivation some two hundred acres of original forest lands, being very largely assisted in their labors by Mr. John Hardy, now living in Kelloggsville, hale and strong in his eighty-third year.  They continued to reside together with their families until February, 1815, when they purchased from the late Hon. Eliphalet Austin, of Austinburg, a large part of the tract of land now covered by the village of Kelloggsville, then known as the “Foggerson settlement.  "Martin moved on this tract, where he remained until 1819, when they dissolved their partnership and divided the property.  Amos taking what was known as the Foggerson farm and Martin going back to the new one.  In 1815, on account of some unsettled business matters and a strong desire to revisit the scenes of his childhood and early manhood.  Amos made the journey on foot to and from the old homestead.  Prior to the time he had hardly made up his mind to remain permanently in Ohio; but on his return from this journey he abandoned all desire to return to Massachusetts, and cast his lot permanently with the new settlers of the Western Reserve.  The business occupations of his life were farming, merchandising, buying, driving, and selling cattle, and keeping a village tavern.
Source: 1798 History of Ashtabula County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers and Most Prominent Men by Publ. Philadelphia - Williams Brothers - 1878 - Page 115

Dr. L. D. Kellogg

LUCIUS DEAN KELLOGG.  Born June 9, 1816, in Salem (now Monroe), Ohio, his education was acquired at the common district school and the old Jefferson academy.  In early life he served as clerk in a country store; subsequently studied medicine with Dr. Greenleaf Fifield, of Conneaut, Ohio and graduated at Geneva, New York, medical college in the spring of 1839.  In the same year commenced the practice of his profession at Albion, Pennsylvania.  Removed to Williamsfield in this county in 1840.  Married Dec. 16, 1841, to Miss Emily R. Castle, daughter of Amasa and Rosalind Castle, at Ashtabula.  Remained in Williamsfield, to the practice of his profession, until 1851, when he removed to Conneaut to occupy the place left vacant by the death of Dr. Fifield, where he remained until 1855, when he removed to Canton, Fulton county, Illinois, where he practiced his profession until June 1, 1861, when he received the appointment of surgeon of the seventeenth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, then in camp at Peoria, Illinois; soon after which the regiment was ordered to the front in Missouri.
     The first battle in which it took an active part was at Fredericktown, Missouri.  It afterwards participated in the battles of Fort Henry and Fort Donelson, Tennessee.  From Donelson ordered to Pittsburg Landing, and took part in the fearful struggle of two days at Shiloh, in which engagement probably each of the contending armies suffered greater loss in killed and wounded, in proportion to the number engaged, than in any other engagement during the war.  After marching and countermarching over a large part of western Tennessee and northern Mississippi, the regiment embarked at Memphis for Vicksburg, in the siege of which, being little less than a continuous battle for weeks, it participated until its fall and final surrender, in all of which engagements and service the surgeon of the regiment was at his post of duty in the field and hospital, serving most of the time as brigade-surgeon.  At Memphis he received the appointment of division surgeon-in-general, McArthur's division, which he held until the corps was reorganized, when, on account of ill health, he resigned and left the service.  On regaining his health, in June, 1865, he was appointed by the then secretary of the treasury assistant appraiser of merchandise for the port of New Orleans, the duties of which office he discharged under that appointment until April 10, 1867, when he received a commission for the same office signed by Andrew Johnson, as President, and Hugh McCullough, secretary of the treasury.  Continued to discharge the duties of the same office until Apr. 21, 1869, when he was commissioned by President Grant as general appraiser of merchandise for the south, which position he held, with headquarters at New Orleans, until the autumn of 1871, when, on account of protracted and dangerous sickness consequent upon the miasmatic and unhealthy character of the climate, he resigned the position and returned to his home in Canton, Illinois; soon after which, on account if inability to resume the practice of his profession, by reason of ill health, he disposed of his property in Canton and returned to his native State and the county of his birth.
     As an evidence of his reputation for official integrity, it was once said to the writer of this by a former resident of this county, whose public and private character for honesty and integrity is above reproach or suspicion, after a visit to New Orleans, "I believe he," referring to the subject of this sketch," is the only man connected with the custom-house at New Orleans who is not charged, and probably truthfully, with peculation and fraud.
     Politically he is a supporter of President Hays, his southern policy, and administration.  As a religionist, not zealous or bigoted; is willing that each shall enjoy his own faith, and demands the same tolerance from others, always regarding the moral obligation to do unto others as he would that others should do unto him.
     He now resides in East Ashtabula, on the premises formerly owned and occupied as a homestead by the late Amasa Castle, Esq., with health restored, in an independent and pleasant retirement, not permitting the common vicissitudes and perplexities of life to harass or disturb him.
     His wife, Emily R., daughter of Amasa and Rosalind Castle, born in Ashtabula, Aug. 15, 1823, married in the township of her birth, December 16, 1841, was with her husband during most of his military service and residence at New Orleans, and probably saved his life by hastening, unattended, from Ashtabula to New Orleans, in July, 1870, to nurse and care for him during a dangerous illness consequent upon the unhealthy climate of that locality.  Without waiting or hoping for his recovery in that climate, she at once procured his removal to a steamboat and proceeded to the north.  Her treatment of the case proved to be judicious, and from the time of her assuming its management he began to mend, and continued to improve until final recovery.
     A lady of refinement, she calls around and attracts to herself the best society of her neighborhood, and makes her home the resort of the intelligent and refined.  She is the mother of Augustus G. Kellogg, lieutenant-commander, United States navy, at present on duty at Portsmouth navy yard, an only child.  And during all the years of her married life she has been an affectionate and exemplary wife and mother.
Source: 1798 History of Ashtabula County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers and Most Prominent Men by Publ. Philadelphia - Williams Brothers - 1878 - Page 120

  MRS. PAULINA KELLOGGPaulina Kellogg, wife of Amos Kellogg, Esq., was born in New Marlborough, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, May 21, 1782, and was married in the county of her birth July 30, 1805.  She was the daughter of Captain Walter Dean, who entered the Massachusetts line at the commencement of the Revolutionary war, and remained in the service during the entire war, leaving the service with a captain's commission.  Having the advantage of a common-school education, she taught a district school one season, but, being the oldest daughter, the early death of her mother made it necessary for her to assume the entire charge of her fathers large family until her own marriage; after which, the duties of a mother and the care of her own household devolved upon her.  Nine children were born to her, two of whom died in infancy, and seven reached maturity.
     Being a woman of vigorous health, she was able to and did perform most of the household labor for a large family composed of the husband, children, and farm-laborers engaged in clearing, fencing, farming, and keeping a village tavern, and manufactured the cloth and made much of the clothing for her family.  On the death of her husband, in 1830, she caused herself to be appointed administratrix of his estate, and with only the aid of her oldest son, then but eighteen years of age, she continued to keep the tavern, manage the business, and settle the estate; and to her good management and wise economy was her family largely indebted for the retention of a home to which all were very greatly attached.  After giving up the responsibilities of business to her son. who relied upon her advice and counsel in reference to important transactions with great confidence and sought it for many years, she made her home with him. and spent much of her time
with her several sons and daughters, rendering such assistance in nursing and caring for their young families as only a devoted mother and grandmother could.  Her affection for and kindly remembrance of her children, grand and great-grandchildren, never faltered, as she was always impartial, and always anxious to aid them in any lawful enterprise.  Except the death of her husband, to whom she was ardently attached and a most devoted wife, the death of her youngest daughter Paulina, who married at the age of twenty and died at twenty-one, was the greatest affliction of her life.  Being her youngest daughter, delicate and lovely, recently married with fair prospects of a happy and prosperous life, her death was long and deeply mourned.  She died at Conneaut, in this county, on the 21st day of June, 1875, aged ninety-three years and one month, in the enjoyment of her mental faculties unimpaired, leaving behind her two aged sisters, two sons, and
two daughters, twenty-four grandchildren, and nineteen great-grandchildren, to mourn her departure.  She was an affectionate and devoted wife, a kind, indulgent, and wise mother, and in all the relations of life performed her duties with a conscientious devotion to the right.
Source: 1798 History of Ashtabula County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers and Most Prominent Men by Publ. Philadelphia - Williams Brothers - 1878 - Page 116

Hon. William Kellogg
 HON. WILLIAM KELLOGG.  This gentleman was born in Salem, now Monroe, Ohio, July 8, 1814.  He emigrated to Canton, Fulton County, Illinois, in 1837; read law; admitted to the bar; practiced his profession; acquired an extensive practice, especially in respect to land titles; member of the State Legislature in 1849 and '50; judge of the circuit court, which position he held for three years; elected to Congress from the Peoria district in 1856; re-elected in 1858, and again in 1860.  In 1864 was appointed minister resident in Guatemala by President Lincoln, and in 1865 chief-justice of Nebraska, which position held until the organization of the Territory into a State, in February, 1867.  In 1869 he was appointed one of the Judges under the provisional government of Mississippi, and retained it until the inauguration of Governor Alcorn, in February, 1870, and died at Peoria, Illinois, December 20, 1872.
Source: 1798 History of Ashtabula County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers and Most Prominent Men by Publ. Philadelphia - Williams Brothers - 1878 - Page 107

Gen. Henry Keyes
Conneaut Twp. -
GENERAL HENRY KEYES.  is an only child; was born on the 16th day of November, 1793, in New Marlboro’, Massachusetts.  His parents, Elias and Phebe Keyes, removed from that point to Ohio, in 1814, and made settlement in Conneaut township.  The education of the general was obtained in his native State prior to his removal to Ohio arriving here his life has been spent in farming, he being now an extensive landowner and capitalist.  Has held numerous offices in his township; was first mayor of the village of Conneaut.  The title by which he is familiarly known was given him years since, he having been commissioned as such in the State militia.  Jan. 19, 1819, he was married to Mary Cale, of Conneaut.  The children of this union are Henry P., born Feb. 14, 1820; married Sarah M. HuntingtonAlvin C., born Oct. 25, 1821; married Minnie Rupp.  These two children reside at Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  Mary C., the next child, was born Nov. 14, 1823; she married Edward Grant, now living in Conneaut.  In 1824 occurred the death of Mrs. General Keyes, and on July 9, 1829, he was again married, to Vesta Bates, from Cummington, Mass.  Seven children have been born to them, viz., Marcus B., who married Louisa Gordon, deceased; Martin B., married Ann Eliza Lloyd; Charles W., died in 1854; Elias A., married Charlotte E. Trenton; Phebe A., Russel M., and Milo O.  Of these, all living reside in Conneaut, except those designated above.
     Politically, General Keyes is Republican.  He is a 3Iason and a member of Evergreen lodge, No. 222, Conneaut, Ohio.
Source: 1798 History of Ashtabula County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers and Most Prominent Men by Publ. Philadelphia - Williams Brothers - 1878 - Page 168

Res. of
Wm. Kiddle,
Wayne Twp.,
Ashtabula Co., Ohio
Wayne Twp. -
WILLIAM KIDDLE.     This gentleman was the youngest of three, the children of Richard and Jane Kiddle, of Long Sutton, Somersetshire county, England, and was born on June 29, 1837.   He came to America in 1858, landing at Bedford Canada, July 31 of that year.  On Aug. 10, same year, he arrived in the township of Wayne, and located in the southeastern corner of the township.  He is by occupation a wagon-maker.  His first purchase of land was but a part of his present fine estate.  He has now some four hundred acres of land, and is largely engaged in dairying and the raising of Durham cattle.  In 1860 he returned to England, where he remained some five months.  On the 23d day of April, 1861, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary, daughter of Hezekiah and Caroline Platt, who are at present both deceased, as are also his parents.  The result of this marriage has been a family of five children,—three girls and two boys.  Prior to the birth of his children (1869), he again returned to England, with his Yankee bride, and remained on this visit some two and one-half months.  A fine view of his farm is given in connection with this sketch.
Source: 1798 History of Ashtabula County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers and Most Prominent Men by Publ. Philadelphia - Williams Brothers - 1878 - Page 249

Aunt Lydia King
Conneaut Twp. -
MRS. LYDIA KING.  This lady, who is the widow of Benjamin Howard King, is daughter of Avery and Lydia Proctor Moulton, whose nativity was, the former, Amesbury, Massachusetts, and the latter Kingston, New Hampshire.  Mrs. King was born in Loudon, New Hampshire, in May, 1794.  Her parents removed to Stanstead, where her father died in 1828.  The mother came to Ohio, and died in Conneaut, November, 1865.  The education of Mrs. King was acquired at Stanstead; was married in 1818, and her husband died in 1852, and left her on a farm, but having no heirs, the property reverted to her husband’s brothers.  She, however, bought them out, and eventually sold the farm to the late D. C. AllenMrs. King is a very worthy woman, and has been a member of the Christian church for more than fifty-five years.
Source: 1798 History of Ashtabula County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers and Most Prominent Men by Publ. Philadelphia - Williams Brothers - 1878 - Page 167

Marcus Kingsley, MD
Kingsville Twp. -
MARCUS KINGSLEY, M. D., was born in Barrington, Yates county, New York, on Mar. 15, 1837.  He is the youngest of five children.  His father, Simon Kingsley, was a native of Providence, Rhode Island, and his mother, Miss L. Stanton, of Litchfield county, Connecticut, at which point they were married.  Removed to Barrington in about 1828, and here the father died, in the fall of 1844.  The mother soon afterwards removed to Dundee, New York, and remained until 1860, when she removed to Kingsville, and yet resides there.   The subject of this sketch attended district school and Dundee academy until at the age of nineteen years, when he chose the profession of medicine as the best suited to be his life’s labor, and began its study in the office of Dr. George Z. Noble, of Dundee. Continued to read medicine three years, making himself generally useful about the place as an equivalent for his board. He attended the Cleveland Homoeopathic college during the years 1859 and 1860.  In the spring of the latter year coming to Kingsville, he located there as the pioneer of his practice in northeast Ashtabula County.  His means were limited; there was prejudice against his school; he was an entire stranger; yet he went to work, and, as a result, has now a large, rapidly increasing, and lucrative practice.  He was elected in 1863 an honorary member of the Ontario and Yates County medical society, of New York, and in the following year of the Ohio Homoeopathic medical society, of Cleveland.  Was elected a member of the board of education of Kingsville township in 1870, and was mainly instrumental in the organization of the special school district, where is now a fine graded school, with an average attendance of over one hundred scholars.  In the fall of 1873 was elected coroner of Ashtabula County, and, on the death of Sheriff Hart, the subsequent July, assumed the duties of that office; he, however, soon resigned.  He was in 1875 the originator of the First Evangelical society of North Kingsville, and was instrumental in erecting an edifice for public worship.  He is a member of the Baptist church and a Knight Templar, affiliating with Cach6 commandery, No. 27, of Conneaut, and the lodges subordinate to that.  Dr. Kingsley was on the 3d day of March, 1870, united in marriage to Celina Stella, daughter of James C. and Clarissa M. Smith, who were of New England parentage.  Dr. Kingsley is Republican in politics, and a strong advocate of total abstinence.
Source: 1798 History of Ashtabula County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers and Most Prominent Men by Publ. Philadelphia - Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pages between 208 & 209





This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights