| THIS is a comparatively
new township, having been organized in 1835.
Population in 1840....................289
Population in 1850....................849
Population in 1860....................931
For many years the
settlement of Troy was retarded to a greater degree
than even the adjacent townships on the north, east,
and west, in consequence of the ownership of the
soil by Eastern speculators. Some years prior
to 1845, a system of legislation prevailed in Ohio,
the effect and probably the design of which was to
practically confiscate the lands of non-resident
owners. For some years the wild lands were
valued for taxation the same as improved farms.
The roads were made and improved by a tax of a
certain amount per acre upon lands - the wilderness
acres of the speculator being subject to the same
burdens as the best and improved acres of the
settler. The taxes for the erection of
school-houses and for the support of schools were
also especially burdensome upon the non-resident.
This legislative policy soon brought the lands of
non-residents into market, and during its
continuance the principal portion of the soil of
Troy Township passed into the hands of those who
purchased for cultivation.
official census of this village has never been
taken separate from the township. It contains
a population of about 200; and two church buildings
and three congregations, 2 physicians, 2 lawyers, 1
clergyman, 1 dry goods store, 1 tavern, 1 tin and
stove shop, 2 blacksmith shops, 3 wagon
manufactories, 3 boot and shoe shops, 1 harness
shop, 1 paint shop, 1 tailor shop, 1 steam
grist-mill, 1 saw-mill, 1 cabinet shop, and 2
two church buildings in the village - the Methodist,
built in the spring of 1850 or 1851, and the United
Brethren, completed in 1859. These buildings
will each seat a congregation of about 300 persons.
Formerly the Free Will Baptists had a church
building, made of logs, one mile west of the
village; but this has been abandoned, and the
congregation now worship in the house of the United
PIONEERS OF TROY TOWNSHIP.
(NOTE: The following names will be
found in the
NATHANIEL CLARK and
family settled in the township in 1834.
emigrated from Monroe County, New York and settled
in Troy Township in 1833. At the first
election, in 1835, he was chosen justice of the
peace. At this election twelve or fourteen
votes were given.
JOSEPH S. PARKER is
the oldest settler now residing in the township.
He removed to it in 1832. Between Sullivan and
the place to which he removed, there were only two
cabins - one of which, belonging to Ralph Phelps,
had only been erected a few days previous.
Officers for 1862.
J. D. Skilling - Trustees, C.
E. Parker, and C. P. Ogden -
Treasurer, Henry Summers-
Assessor, Daniel Fulk - Constable,