OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Ashland County, Ohio

History & Genealogy

Source:
A History of the Pioneer and Modern Times

of
Ashland County, Ohio
by H. S. Knapp
Publ: Philadelphia
by J. B. Lippincott & Co.
1863.
(Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

CHAPTER XX.
Ruggles Township

pg. 538
 
     THIS township, when organized in 1826, and until the erection of Ashland County, twenty years later, belonged to the County of Huron.  It probably derived its name from Almon Ruggles, who settled in that county in 1808, and who, in 1815, laid out the town of Norwalk.
     In 1820 its territory was included in Bethel Township, which had a population that year of 164.

      Population of Ruggles in 1830.................... 271
     Population of Ruggles in 1840....................1244
     Population of Ruggles in 1850....................1084
     Population of Ruggles in 1860.................... 918

     Ruggles Township, as well as the whole of the territory of Huron County, was within the "Fire Land" district.  These firelands embraced a tract of country containing seven hundred and eighty-one (781) square mils, or nearly five hundred thousand (500,000) acres, in the western part of the Western Reserve.  The name originated from the circumstance that the State of Connecticut had made a grant of these lands in 1792, as a donation to certain sufferers by fire, occasioned by the invading English during the revolutionary war, particularly at New London, Fairfield, and Norwalk.  This tract was surveyed into townships of about five miles square each; and these townships are then subdivided into four equal quarters, No. 1 being the southeast, No. 2 the northeast, No. 3 the northwest, and No. 4 the southwest.  And for individual convenience, these are again subdivided, by private surveys, into lots from fifty to five hundred acres each, to suit individual purchasers.  The surveys were made in 1808.
     In 1820 there existed in Huron County a township named Bethel, with which it is supposed the territory of Ruggles was associated for civil purposes.  Whether this township of Bethel embraced the present townships of Greenwich, Fitchville, or New London, or all of them, cannot be clearly ascertained by the writer of this.

     The population of Bethel in 1820, was ....................  164
     The "               of Ruggles in 1830..........................   271
     The "                        "       in 1840..........................1244
     The "                        "       in 1850..........................1084
     The "                        "       in 1860..........................  918

     In addition to those causes which have operated during the last several years, to diminish population in other townships of the county, is the fact that there existed, at the time of the county, is the fact that there existed, at the time of the opening of the Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati Railroad, a flourishing town known as "Ruggles Corners."  The construction of the railroad caused the business and population to rapidly decline, until it is now without a single business or mechanical establishment.  The post-office, which was formerly here, is now removed to the center of the township.

EXTRACTS FROM THE OFFICIAL RECORD OF
RUGGLES TOWNSHIO.

FIRST ELECTION - 1826.

     Names of the electors who voted at the first election held in Ruggles Township, on the 2d day of January, 1826: -
 

1. Perry Durfee | 7. Reuben Fox
2. Harvey Sackett | 8. Bradford Sturtevant
3. Norman Carter | 9. Jacob Roorback
4. Truman Bates | 10. Abraham Ferris
5. Justus Barnes | 11. E. D. Smith
6. Daniel Beach | 12. Aldrich Carver

     At this election, the following officers were chosen, namely: -
     Township Clerk, Ezra D. Smith - Trustees, Jacob Roorback, Daniel Beach, and Aldrich Carver -Overseers of the Poor, Bradford Sturtevant and Harvey Sackett - Fence Viewers, Justus Barnes and Abraham Ferris - Appraisers of Property, Reuben Fox and Perry Durfee - Constable, Norman Carter - Supervisor, Truman Bates - Township Treasurer, Harvey Sackett.

COMMISSIONS OF JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.

     A commission of Daniel Beach, as justice of the peace, bears date the 20th of February, A.D. 1840.
     A commission of Albert G. Buel, as justice of the peace, bears date the 13th of April, 1840.
     A commission of D. W. Brown, as justice of the peace, bears date the 9th of November, 1840.    

PIONEERS OF RUGGLES TOWNSHIP.

DANIEL BEACH immigrated to Ruggles Township on the 2d of August, 1823.  He died in 1862.  His was the first family that settled in the township.  He was born in Connecticut.

NORMAN CARTER and wife removed to Ruggles in 1824.

ALDRICH CARVER and family, consisting of three persons, settled in Ruggles, in 1825.  His was the fourth family then in the township.  He had emigrated from Cayuga County, New York.  Mr. Carver (to whom the editor of this work is indebted for much valuable information relating to the early history of this township) states that the township took its name from Alman Ruggles.  He settled in Vermillion Township, Huron County, and became judge of the court.  Before the organization of Ruggles, it was attached to New London.

JAMES POAG settled in Clearcreek Township, in 1825, upon the land which is now the farm of James Heanst.  About 1827 he purchased the farm in Ruggles, upon which his widow and son, Washington I. Poag, now reside in Ruggles Township.  He died April 9, 1854, at the age of seventy-one years.

HARVEY SACKETT and family removed from Talmadge, Summit County, to Ruggles Township, in April, 1825.  Mr. Sackett now resides near Ashland.

BRADFORD STURTEVANT and family immigrated to Ruggles Township, in September, 1823; being the second pioneer of the township.  He had removed to Medina County, from Connecticut, in 1816.  The lands of the township, Mr. Sturtevant says, were monopolized by non-resident speculators - the principal land-owners being Joseph & Wakeman, of Fairfield County, Connecticut.  Martha E., daughter of Bradford Sturtevant, was born 17th of May, 1825 - being the first white female child born in the township.  She is now the wife of Rev. Horace Taylor, a missionary in Southern India.

SALMON WESTON immigrated to Ruggles Township, on the 17th of June, 1828.  He removed from Connecticut, and occupied one month in traveling from his old to his new home.  The journey was performed from Warren, Connecticut, to Albany, New York, in wagons; from Albany to Buffalo, on the Erie Canal; form the latter place to Sandusky City, on the schooner Superior; and from Sandusky City to Ruggles, in wagons.  Mr. Weston was the first settler in the eastern portion of the township.

CHURCHES IN RUGGLES TOWNSHIP.

     There are two - the LUTHERAN, situated in the southeast part of the township, which was organized in 1852.  The house, 26 by 30 feet, was erected the same year, at a cost of $360.
     THE CONGREGATIONAL, at the "Centre," was organized in 1827, with eleven members - four males and seven females.  The building is a very comfortable one, and will accommodate a congregation of 400 persons. 

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to TABLE of CONTENTS >

CLICK HERE to Return to
ASHLAND COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights