SURVEYED IN 1807, by Jonathan Cox. The
township was organized on the 14th of September,
1814. The organization embraced also the
territory now known as Jackson.
|Population in 1820
|Population in 1830\
|Population in 1840
|Population in 1850
|Population in 1860
Extracts from Official
Records of Perry Township.
ELECTION OF APRIL, 1825.
Trustees, Daniel Williams and Daniel Smith -
Clerk, William Spencer.
ELECTION OF APRIL, 1862.
Trustees, George Myers, David McConnell, and
Henry Shissler - Clerk, William W. STrayer -
Treasurer, John Van Nest - Assessor,
Names and Dates of
Commissions of Justices of the Peace in Perry
John Jackson, July 3, 1816
Thomas Johnston, January 29, 1818
John Ihrig, April 27, 1819
Thomas Johnston, December 25, 1820
John Smith, April 25, 1822
John A. Kelley, March 31, 1824
John Smith, April 30, 1825
John Herr, March 12, 1827
John Ihrig, May 3, 1828
John Allison, March 1, 1830
John Ihrig, April 23, 1831
John Allison, March 1, 1833
John Ihrig, April 24, 1834
John Allison, March 25, 1836
John Ihrig, April 28, 1837
Jacob Miller, October 14, 1837
John Allison, Mar. 19, 1839
John Smith, September 15, 1840
Isaac Cahill, April 7, 1842.
John Smith, September 28, 1843
John Ecker, March 22, 1845
Jacob Miller, October 2, 1846
John Ecker, March 11, 1848
John Van Nest, September 22, 1849
John Cory, March 15, 1851.
John Van Nest, September 25, 1852
Columbus C. Coulter, March 23, 1854.
John Van Nest, September 145, 1855
Alexander Hamilton, March 24, 1856
Hugh Hamilton, August 26, 1857
John Van Nest, September 9, 1858
Hugh Hamilton, August 15, 1860
Henry Buck, September 9, 1861
Electors in Perry Township,
was laid out Apr. 15, 1835, by Michael D. Row.
The original proprietor of the village was then
unmarried, and resided with his father, Michael
Row in the house about forty rods east of the
town, now owned by Haynes Jones. At the
time the plat was recorded, there was not an
inhabitant within the limits of what now forms the
town. This first public
sale of lots occurred in May, 1835. Jacob
Carr purchased the first lot for thirty-four
dollars - being the same now owned by Garrett
Dorland, and used by him as his residence.
The second lot was sold to David Dorland for
twenty-one dollars - being the lot recently
occupied by C. C. Coulter as a grocery store.
Catharine Long purchased the lot now owned by
Mrs. Winter, as a residence, for eighteen
The population of Rowsburg, in 1860, was two hundred.
This is the only instance that it was taken distinct
from the township. There are in the town, 1
physician, 2 dry goods stores, 1 tavern, 1 millinery
shop, 2 shoe shops, 2 blacksmith shops, 1 tannery, 1
store and tin shop, 1 cabinet shop, 1 weaver shop, 1
harness shop, and 2 groceries.
CHURCHES IN PERRY TOWNSHIP.
MOUNT HOPE CHURCH (PRESBYTERIAN)
Presbyterian families settled in this region (then
Wayne County, Ohio) shortly after the close of the
war of 1812. For some time they were supplied
with occasional preaching by traveling ministers.
About 1820 the church was organized, and was taken
under the care of the Presbytery of Richland, which
at that period embraced the territory now covered by
the three Presbyteries of Richland, Wooster,
Coshocton, and part of Marion. It was known
for several years as the Muddy Fork Church, so
called from the branch of the Mohican of that name,
near to which the house of worship stood.
About 1831, by request of the congregation, its name
was changed to that of
Mount Hope. David Cunningham, Sr., his
son-in- law James Fulton and William
Hamilton were the first ruling elders.
These all lived within the bounds of the church,
until their death, which occurred about ten or
twelve years since. In 1833, David
Cunningham, Jr., and the late Hugh Bay
were ordained as ruling elders. In 1837, the
late John Lilvingston and Thomas Hayes
were added to the session. A few years after,
William Buchanan, now deceased, and Isaac
Cahilll, were called to the same office.
The present incumbents are, Thomas G. Hayes,
Isaac Cahill, Thomas Cunningham, son of David
Cunningham, Sr., and one of the first elders,
and J. M. Livingston, son of the late John
The first pastor was the Rev. William Matthews,
who, for several years, was pastor of the old
Hopewell Church, near Ashland, Ohio. He was
succeeded by the late Rev. Robert Lee, whose
labors, for a short period, were divided between the
Muddy Fork Church, as it was then called, and the
old Hopewell Church. He again was succeeded,
in1829, by the Rev. Richard, now Rev. Dr.
Brown, of Wellsville, Ohio. This church
together with those of Congress and Jeromeville,
constituted his pastoral charge. He was
released from his charge in the fall of 1832.
The church remained without a pastor from that
period until the 1st of January, 1834, when the
Rev. Thomas Beer took charge of the
congregation. His connection with the church
was dissolved in the summer of 1857. The
present pastor is the Rev. T. B. Van Emmon.
From 1834 till 1844 the
congregation continued to increase in numbers, but
shortly after began to decline, by immigration to
the West, its present membership being a little
The first house of worship was a small log building,
erected in 1826. In the fall of 1836 a new
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
EVANGELICAL (OR ALBRIGHT)
REMINISCENCES OF THE PIONEERS OF
an emigrant from Pennsylvania. He settled in
Congress Township, Wayne County, in January, 1820.
That township had been but recently organized.
Under the laws then in force it required fifteen
legal voters to accomplish an organization.
There were about that number in the township at that
time, being one family to 2⅓
Churches and School-houses.
not a church or school house in the township.
There was preaching occasionally at private houses
by Presbyterian and Methodist clergymen.
Wooster was the nearest town.
Markets, Mills, etc.
Genseng, Wild Game, etc.
The last of the Indian
School at Tylertown -
Removal to Perry - Character of Timber, etc.
Wages, Costumes, etc.
Churches and Schools in
JAMES ALLISON emigrated from Jefferson
County, Ohio, to Perry Township during March, 1818. His
wife and six children, namely, John, Alexander, Mary,
Jane, and Catherine, constituted his family at that
date. Of the sons and daughters mentioned, Alexander
is the only survivor in Perry. Mrs. Jane, wife of
Daniel Ellenbarger, and Miss Catherine Allison,
reside in Mohican Township.
Mr. Allison died May 2d, 1839, at the age of
sixty-four years. His wife had died in April of the
previous year at the age of sixty-two years. Mr.
Allison and wife died upon the place he originally purchased
of David Smith, being fifty acres in section 2.
Death of Arthur Campbell, Sen.
Alexander Allison was an
eye-witness of this event, which is mentioned in another place.
It was on the premises of Mr. Allison's uncle, John
Pittinger, whose land was in process of being cleared.
Messrs. Campbell and Pittinger were sitting upon
the ground near a tree, engaged in conversation, when an oak
tree, which had been several hours burning at its base,
commenced falling in the direction of where the men were
stationed. Mr. Allison, who was near, but outside
the range of the falling tree, happened to discover the danger,
and instantly notified the men. Mr. Pittinger
escaped by seeking refuge behind a tree near which they were
sitting; but Mr. Campbell, being less active, was struck,
while in the act of rising, upon the back by a heavy limb,
crushing the bones and producing instant death.
HENRY BUFFAMYER imigrated to Perry
Township in May 1826, and purchased of Joseph Carr the
half section of land, parts of which are now owned by David
and Matthew Buffamyer. He died on the last
March, 1849, aged eighty-six years. His widow is at this
time (January 23d, 1862) residing with her son, David,
and although she has attained the age of eighty-one years, her
health and faculties are but slightly impaired.
JOHN CARR entered two quarters of
land, a part of which is now owned by Samuel
Naylor, in Mohican Township, December, 1810.
During the following year he removed his family from
Tuscarawas County, and in March, 1811,
commenced his improvement on the part of the land
In the spring of 1814 he sold his land to John Ewing,
and purchased two quarters in Montgomery, and two
quarters in Perry Township, a part of one of which
latter purchase is now owned by John Allison
He removed to the land in Montgomery Township now
occupied by Samuel Horn, Mrs. Horn, Mr. Harlan,
and Mr. Weidler. His house was erected
upon the place now occupied by Mrs. Horn,
where he remained till his death, which occurred
April 1, 1836, in the sixth-fifth year of his age.
Mr. Carr's whole life, from the age of
seventeen, was passed among the pioneers, and in the
wilderness of Pennsylvania and Ohio. Boy
though he was at the age above mentioned, he removed
to Washington County, Pennsylvania.
During Wayne's campaign against the hostile Indian
tribes he acted as spy. Shortly after the
close of the war he married in Washington County,
Pennsylvania, and removed with his wife to what was
the then Northeastern Territory, living first in
came afterward Jefferson, and then in the
country of which Tuscarawas County now forms a part.
From the latter county he removed, as above stated,
to a quarter of the land he had previously entered
in Mohican Township.
When he removed to Mohican his family consisted of his
wife, and eleven children, namely, Thomas,
Nicholas, Nancy, Hugh, Joshua, Benjamin, John,
Margaret, Susan, Samuel, and Aaron.
HUGH CARR (son of John,
whose name is included among the children above
mentioned) removed to the land in Perry Township,
which he improved and has since occupied.
Indian Conspiracy against
A War Panic - Erection of
the Fort at Jeromeville.
Removal of the Indians from
Jerome and Family.
ARTHUR CAMPBELL, SR.
The first effort at
Organizing a Village in Perry Township.
When the place where
Rowsburg now stands was a Wilderness.
First Death of a White
Person in Perry Township.
person who died in the township was James
Campbell. His body was removed to Wooster
First Grist and Saw-mill.
Fidelity of Indians towards
Captivity and Death of
Jerome's Wife and Daughter.
Johnnycake and his Wife.
Laying out of Jeromeville.
Wild Beasts, Snakes, etc.
Loss of Clement V. Dorland.
About Esquire Newell.
Dangers of the "Fat in the
Probably the Oldest Bible in
has in his possession a duodecimo copy of the Bible,
printed in Oxford, England, 1727, which was
originally the property of his father's grandfather,
Joseph Freeman, as appears by his name,
written on a blank leaf, bearing date November 30th,
1729. The volume is remarkably well printed
and bound, gilt-edged, and silver clasps, and in a
remarkably good state of preservation.
The First Sermon and First
immigrated, with his wife, to Perry Township on the
17th of May, 1817. He was an emigrant from
Pennsylvania. He leased and occupied for five
years a part of section 16, and subsequently
purchased of Edward Gallagher the southwest
quarter of section 4, Perry Township, upon which he
continues to reside.
Loss of Clement N. Dorland.
Killed of Fright.
The War of 1812 Predicted by
EMMONS entered a quarter section of land in Perry
Township, in 1810; and from thence removed, in 1819, to
Montgomery Township, on the farm recently occupied by his sons,
(now owned by Matthias Boffenmire,) about one and a half
miles north of Ashland.
FRIDLINE emigrated from Pennsylvania to Perry Township,
during the spring of 1821. His family consisted of his
wife and two children, David and Ludwig. He
purchased of David Smith the land upon which he has since
emigrated from Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Plain Township,
Wayne County, in Mary, 1824. He removed to the southeast
quarter of section 16, Perry Township, in April, 1826; which
tract, when it came into market, was purchased by his family,
and is now occupied by his widow and son, Andrew J. Fry.
He resided upon this place until his death, which occurred on
June 10th, 1827. The widow and two sons, Rev. Jacob Fry
and Rev. Andrew J. Fry, are the only survivors of his
emigrated from Somerset County, Pennsylvania, to
Perry Township, in April, 1825. He died in
December, 1832, aged forty-six years.
emigrated from Washington County, Pennsylvania, to Perry
Township, in the fall of 1820 - having previously purchased, of
his brother Hugh, the northeast quarter of section 3, in
said township. His family were composed of his wife and
seven children - the only survivor of whom, now residing in
Perry Township, in Mrs. Mary J., wife of John A.
Mrs. Hamilton died in October, 1850, at the age of
seventy-three years. Hugh Hamilton, Esq., of
Lafayette, born September, 1821, in Perry, is the only son of
William Hamilton now a resident of the township.
Ancient Fortifications and Mounds in Jackson and Perry
Upon the land in Jackson Township, now owned
by John M. Livingston and John Ramsey, about a
mile northeast of Lafayette, are the remains of what is supposed
to have been an ancient fortification. This work is
located on the western side of an elevated ridge, but its
eastern line reaches the summit. Its shape
is quadrangular. Before the timber was cleared by the race
no occupying it, its outlines could be distinctly traced, but
the plow has nearly obliterated them. The oak timber which
was found growing upon its sides was equal in dimensions to any
in the surrounding forests. When the ground
was yet in its wild state, only twelve years since, the
embankment was about eight feet at its base and eighteen inches
in height, these dimensions being very regular. The area
was about one and a half acres. Within the incluosure of
the fort, about twenty-five years since, John H. Hamilton
found a hard flint stone, highly polished surface, five inches
in length, two inches at the base, and one and a half inches at
the point. The center was encircled by a groove, in which
he could bury the point of his finger.
Two ancient mounds also existed in Perry
Township, on the farm originally entered by Hugh Hamilton.
They were about thirty feet distant from each other, and
occupied the summit of a hill. The largest was eighteen
feet in diameter at its base, and rises four feet above the
natural surface. This one still remains
undisturbed, with the exception of having been cleared of its
timbers. The smaller one was about twelve feet in diameter
at its base, and was elevated about three feet above the natural
surface. There were no indications that the earth of which
these mounds were composed had been taken from the immediate
vicinity of their location.
Some thirty years ago, when William Hamilton was
excavating the earth for his cellar, the western side embraced
the ground occupied by about one-half of the smaller mound.
After the earth had been removed down to the natural surface,
the remains of some wood, supposed to be a root, were
discovered; continuing, however, the excavation, it proved to be
a shaft of timber that had been placed perpendicularly below the
surface. Following down the decayed wood, the men reached
a quantity of coarse but pure sand, and a few inches below this
a human skeleton; and yet below this two other skeletons, also
imbedded in sand. The wood, from the point where it
entered then sand, was found to be in a good condition of
preservation. The bones of the skeleton were remarkably
well preserved, including the teeth and the most delicate
portions of those belonging to the fingers and toes. A few
hours' exposure to the atmosphere dissolved all except the
larger bones. One of the skeletons indicated that it had
belonged to a person of immense size. James McMeeken,
the largest man in the neighborhood, weighing over two hundred
pounds, and having a remarkably full face, would pass the lower
jaw of this skeleton over his own countenance without any
difficulty. The end of the shaft referred to terminated at
the depth of the lower part of the last skeleton. It had
been dressed so as to present three sides, and the marks of the
edged instrument used in dressing it were clearly visible.
There were also imbedded in the sand, about a pint of a powdered
substance, resembling Spanish brown paint; also a polished
stone, about six inches in length, one inch in width, and half
an inch in thickness - the sides and ends being rounded off.
This stone was afterward used to sharpen a Dutch scythe, by
Mr. Oner, a revolutionary soldier, and a resident, up to the
time of this death, on the farm now owned by William
JOHN HELLMAN emigrated for Centre
County, Pennsylvania, and settled in Perry Township,
June 17th, 1818. He purchased of Elijah
Charles the southwest quarter of section
3, which land he improved, and has up to the present
date made his home. His family at the time of
emigration, consisted of his wife and three
children, viz.: David, Mary, and
Catherine. The first mentioned is now a
resident of Jackson township; Mary is the
wife of Daniel Eshelman, of Lafayette, and
Catherine is the wife of George Walkey, of
JOHNSON immigrated to Perry Township in 1814. He
had several years previously resided in Jefferson County.
His family at this date consisted of his wife, and sons
Henry, Isaac, Jacob, and Benjamin, and six daughters.
He died in 1826. Benjamin Johnson now a resident of
Vermillion Township, is the only surviving male member of the
KAUFMAN immigrated to Perry Township from Lancaster
County, Pennsylvania, in June, 1822, and purchased of Jacob
Baker the two hundred and thirty-three acres in section 27,
upon which he resided until the time of deceased, which occurred
Mar. 11th, 1825, at the age of twenty-seven years six months and
The surviving members of his family were his widow and one son.
Emanuel, son of Rudolph Kaufman, was born upon the
place above described July 31st, 1824, and now resides at the
KLINGAMAN emigrated from Berks County, Pennsylvania, with
his wife, to Perry Township, in May, 1817, and entered the
northwest quarter, section 8, in said township. The east
half of this section he subsequently surrendered, and retained
the west half. Himself and wife yet occupy the last-named
immigrated to Perry Township from Pennsylvania, October, 1829,
and purchased of John Gorsuch the farm which is now owned
and occupied by Samuel Buchanan. During the last
three years Mr. Kræmer has been a resident of Rowsburg.
emigrated from Washington County, Pennsylvania, and
arrived in Perry Township in the early part of the spring of
1824. Jacob Onstott and himself jointly purchased
the southeast quarter of section 8, which they subsequently
divided. Mr. Onstott resided upon his half quarter
until his death, and Mr. Lash, still continues to occupy
his half. When he removed to this county his household
consisted of his wife and two children, and a brother-in-law,
immigrated to Perry Township, and leased the farm now owned and
occupied by Peter Mang, in the fall of 1823. His
family at this time consisted of his wife and five children,
namely, Elizabeth, William, Susannah, Peter, and
Mr. Lash died in July, 1838, at the age of
seventy-eight years. He had served in the war of the
American Revolution, and during the last years of his life
received a pension for his services. Of his children above
mentioned, William and Susannah (the latter the
wife of Robert Nelson) are the only survivors who now
(January, 1862,) reside in Perry Township.
MANG, in 1816, entered seven quarters of land in Perry
Township. Upon one of these quarters resides his son
Samuel, upon another Peter.
He was an emigrant from Somerset County,
Pennsylvania, and when he visited the county he made his home
MAURER removed to Plain Township, Wayne County, in
November, 1821. He was an emigrant from Pennsylvania.
In April, 1825, he purchased and removed to the land in Perry
Township, now occupied by William Adams. His
family, at this time, consisted of his wife and eight children,
the only survivors of whom, now residing in Perry Township, are
his widow, his son William, and widowed daughter, Mrs.
Ann Jackson. Mrs. Maurer if she lives until the 18th
of August, 1862, will be eighty-seven years of age. Mr.
Maurer died Jan . 13th, 1860, aged eighty-three years and
REICHARD emigrated from Centre County, Pennsylvania, and
removed to the east half of the northwest quarter of Section 8,
(which he had previously entered,) in April, 1829. His
family, at this time, consisted of his wife and an infant son,
Jacob. Mr. Reichard is among the very few in
Perry Township who reside upon the place they originally
JAMES SCOTT removed, when a boy of seventeen
years of age, with the family of his brother-in-law,
Isaac Smally, from Columbiana County, Ohio,
to Perry Township, in November, 1816. With the
exception of about two years, (which were spent in
Wooster,) he has resided in Perry Township since the
date named. He has, since 1825, owned and
occupied the farm upon which he at present resides
and which land was first improved by him.
imigrated to the northwestern territory, from
Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, during the Indian
campaign of General Wayne. He first
selected his home in what is now Harrison County,
Ohio. In 1813 he removed to that part of
Mohican which afterward became Chester Township,
Wayne County. His family at this time
consisted of his wife and the following named
children: John, Henry, David, Elizabeth,
Jacob, Daniel, Catherine, and Mary.
Of these, the only one now residing in Ashland
County is David Swarts, who owns and occupies
the farm on the north line of Perry Township, one
and a quarter miles northeast of Jeromeville - a
farm widely known for its elegant and commodious
outhouses, having a barn upon it which alone cost
TANYER, an emigrant from Pennsylvania, settled in Perry
Twp. in 1824. He is now a resident of Montgomery Twp.,
about one mile north of Ashland.
WISE removed from Centre County, Penn., to Perry Twp., in
May, 1822. His family consisted of his wife and seven
children. He had entered his land, being the southeast
quarter of section 18, in the year 1815. While exploring
the country for the purpose of making his selection, he made his
home with Baptiste Jerome. Mr. Wise yet
resides upon the land he originally entered.
HENRY WORST, in the year 1814, entered the
northeast quarter of section 14. This quarter
was regarded as a choice one, and several persons
who had been exploring the country had selected it,
and sat out for the Canton Land Office, within a few
hours of each other, to make the entry. In
this instance, "the race was to the swift." In
company with William McMullen, who had
selected the adjacent quarter, Mr. Worst had
reached Wooster, traveling on foot, and had called
at the tavern of that little place for refreshments.
While their food was being prepared, information
reached them that they would be soon followed by two
men on horseback, known to be after the same land.
Without waiting for their refreshments, they
immediately pushed forward and reached Canton in
advance of their pursuers, and made the entries they
had shown. On March, 20th, 1815, Mr. Worst
and family removed to his land. He had
emigrated from Pennsylvania. His household
consisted of his wife and eight children, the only
survivors of whom, how residents of Ashland County,
are Samuel Worst, who occupies the old
homestead, and Mrs. Margaret, wife of
John Keener, of Jackson township.
Mr. Worst is now (February, 1862) in the
seventy-seventh year of his age.
emigrated from entre County, Pennsylvania, to
Jackson Township, during June, 1823. Within
the same year he purchased, of Daniel Goodwin,
eighty acres in section 3, Perry Township, which he
improved, and upon which he now resides. When
he removed to this place his wife and five children
constituted his family.