| SURVEYED in 1807, by
Jonathan Cox. On the 11th of
April, 1812, the Commissioners of Wayne County,
namely: James Morgan, John Carr,
and Jacob Foulkes, divided the
county into four townships - the western part,
including what are now Jackson, Perry, Mohican, and
Lake, and part of Washington, in Holmes County; and
the west half of what are now Clinton, Plain,
Chester, and Congress, in Wayne County, and
organized this territory as one township, under the
name of MOHICAN. Thus is Mohican the "mother
of" townships; and once embraced an area
fully equal in extent to one-half of that which now
constitutes Ashland County.
There are few townships in the county the early
settlement of which contains material of more
historical value than Mohican. It was among
the first settled and the first organized of any of
the townships which now compose Ashland County.
Portions of it possessed historic interest near a
century before an attempt at settlement by whites
was made, as will be seen by recurring to preceding
pages of this work.
following is furnished by Mr. Larwill, of Wooster,
one of the earliest of the pioneers of Wayne County:
Heads of Families in Kilbuck Township, being the
Territory which now forms Wayne and part of Holmes
County, and the Townships of Mohican, Lake, Perry,
and Jackson, in Ashland County, as returned by the
Census taker in the year 1810.
John L. Dawson
Valentine Smith, Jr.
John Driskel. **
* Joseph H.
Larwill was enumerated in Benjamin Miller's
William Larwill was enumerated in David
Baptiste Jerome - from
whom Jeromeville was named.
§ The man killed in Stibbs's Mill
by the explosion of gunpowder, as related in Howe's
** The chief of
the land pirates, whose crimes in the Township of
Green and neighborhood are elsewhere noticed.
He resided upon the Blackleyville Prairie at the
time this census was taken.
The total population of all ages and sexes was three
hundred and thirty-two. Wooster was made the
seat of justice in 1811. Previously the whole
county, as before explained, was called Kilbuck
Population of Mohican Township in
Population of Mohican Township in
Population of Mohican Township in
Population of Mohican Township in
Population of Mohican Township in
James David *
George Clark *
James Bryan *
Benjamin Bunn *
Daniel Keller *
Francis Winbigler *
Richard Winbigler *
John Keller *
John Winbigler *
Robert F. Capler *
John Shinnebarger *
Asa H. Beard
James Collier *
Edward Metcalf *
Thomas Kearns *
Harvey Smurr *
Jacob Lybarger *
John Kearns *
Thomas B. McClure *
Robert W. Smith
William Eagle *
John M. Musgrove *
Carpenter David *
Samuel Heller *
Jacob Stoler *
John Otto *
Matthias Otto *
Benjamin Finley *
Calvin Beard *
William Glenn *
Alex. Mitchell *
Archibald S. Kennedy *
William McCummins *
John Bevan *
John Friot *
Charles Beard *
Samuel E. Warner *
A memorandum, furnished
by Judge Ingmand, says that of the
seventy-six voters whose names appear in that of the
seventy-six voters whose names appear in the above
list, only ten are now residents of the township;
forty-three are known to be dead; thirteen are known
to be living elsewhere; ten are either deceased or
residing in other States, or other counties in Ohio.
Those marked with an asterisk (*) are know to be
An Estate of Johnny Appleseed.
Alexander Finley, in his lifetime, sold to
Jonathan Chapman what is estimated
to be three acres, in the southeast corner of the
southwest quarter of section 26 - being in the
quarter originally entered by said Finley,
and which is now owned by A. J. Young,
and forms part of the little town of Lake Fork.
This land was deeded to Chapman by
Finley, but the deed was lost,
though recorded, and the tract never transferred on
the auditor's books. The taxes have regularly
been paid, by Finley's heirs, when
in their possession, and by the present owner,
Mr. Young, since the farm came into
his ownership. Recently, other parties, after
fruitless efforts to buy of the heirs of
Finley, have taken possession of the
disputed tract, and assumed ownership by virtue of
such possession. Chapman had made
slight improvement, and started a small nursery.
CHURCHES IN MOHICAN
LAKE FORK CHAPEL.
Methodist Episcopal denomination have a church of
this name, situated on the east side of Jerome Fork,
within a few rods of the county line, and half a
mile east of Lake Fork Post-office. The
building, which is a frame, was erected in 1858, and
is 28 by 34 feet. The congregation had
previously worshiped in the school-house, near Lake
Fork. Rev. Mr. Starr and
Rev. Mr. Wilcox supply the pulpit
for the current year. Mark Wilson
is steward and class-leader. There are twenty
This denomination have a church organization and
building, three-fourths of a mile north of Lake
Fork. There are twenty members. Rev.
Mr. Price has charge of the congregation.
S. A. Taylor is steward of the
church. The building was erected in 1857 and
is 30 by 38 feet. It is known as the Fairview
denomination also have a church on the east line of
the township, known as the "Oak Grove
Meeting-House," under the charge of the clergyman
above named. The building is 26 by 30, and was
erected in 1858. There are fifty members
belonging to the church. Solomon Kahl
is the steward.
EXTRACTS FROM THE OFFICIAL
OF APRIL, 1858.
Clerk, Charles K. Bollman -Trustees,
John Metcalf, Joseph Heichel, and Zebulon Metcalf -
Treasurer, Samuel Rouch.
Clerk, T. J. Hargrave - Trustees,
J. D. Karns, Tomas Metcalf, and Elias
Treasurer, E. J. Vanimmon.
Clerk, T. J. Hargrave - Trustees,
J. D. Karns, Thomas Metcalf, and Elias Bates -
Treasurer, E. J. Vanimmon.
Clerk, J. J. Winbigler - Trustees,
Thomas Metcalf, Joseph Austin and George
Treasurer, John Garst
J. A. Strayer - Trustees, George Bender,
David Ely, and John Garn - Treasurer,
John Garst - Assessor, Joseph
Constables, J. S. Wetherbee and John
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
NAMES AND DATES)
The town was laid out on the 14th of February, 1815,
by Christian Deardoff and William Vaughn.
Population in 1830 .................123
Population in 1860 ................. 332
Borough Officers for 1862
Mayor: S. H. Hand - Recorder:
John Wilson - Council: B. Hildebrand, John
Hoffman, G. W. Britton, John Webster, and Henry
Bower - Treasurer: E. J. Van Immon.
The town contains 4 churches, 1 physician, 1 hotel,
1 grist mill running three pairs of burrs, 1 saw and
lath mill running two saws, (which mills are chiefly
propelled by water,) 1 tannery, 1 dry goods store, 1
tailor ship, 3 boot and shoe shops, 2 blacksmith
shops, 1 tin shop, 2 groceries, 1 cabinet shop.
There are four: Old School Presbyterian, Methodist
Episcopal, Lutheran, and Disciple.
OF THE PIONEERS OF MOHICAN TOWNSHIP.
GEORGE W. BASFORD
emigrated from Maryland to Mohican Township, in
October, 1824, and established himself in a clothing
establishment in the town of Jeromeville. At
this date his family consisted of his wife and an
immigrated to Clearcreek Township in the fall of
1822, and purchased of John Haney forty
acres of land, lying west of the farm now owned by
John Bryte. In 1828, he sold
this place and removed to section 28, Mohican
emigrated from Washington County, Pennsylvania, and
removed temporarily to a cabin which stood upon the
farm now owned by George Botdorf,
on the 17th day of February, 1817. His family
then consisted of his wife and ten children.
He had, the previous year, purchased of John
Lawrence (who resided about two miles
southwest of Wooster) the southeast quarter of
section 32, (being the land upon a part of which is
now the town of Mohicanville.) In the spring
of the year of his arrival with his family, he
entered the southwest quarter of section 32, Mohican
Township. Upon neither of the quarter sections
described was there any improvement. His
nearest neighbor on the north was William
Metcalf, one mile distant; on the east,
Alexander Finley, distant three
miles; on the south, Jabez Smith,
distant one-fourth mile; and on the west,
Isaac Downey, about six miles distant.
The quarter purchased of Lawrence subsequently
reverted to him, and after several transfers,
Simeon Bell and Henry
Sherradden became its owners, and the
original proprietors of the town of Mohicanville.
Mr. Dally, during the first spring
of his residence in the township, erected a house on
the margin of the "Fall's Spring," nearly opposite
the present residence of his son, Vincent
Dally. This cabin House was standing
until within about twelve years since.
arrived in the township of Mohican on the 2d day of
May, 1809, having succeeded the family of
Alexander Finley a few weeks. His family
then consisted of his wife and daughter Amelia
He first opened a small farm on the land now owned
and occupied by Henry Treace. In the
early part of the war, he, together with several of
his neighbors, removed their families to the fort,
at Wooster, as security against attacks by Indians.
Mr. Eagle was well acquainted with Baptiste
Jerome, who often related to Mr. Eagle
circumstances connected with the Indian war against
General Anthony Wayne - among other "yarns,"
one running to the effect that himself and a party
of eight Indians came upon a reconnoitering party
near the Maumee River led by Wayne, and that he (Jerome)
and the Indians leveled and discharged their rifles
at "Mad Anthony" without any effect.
Several years after the war of 1812, Jerome
lost his Indian wife and daughter, and subsequently
married a white woman, and removed to the mouth of
Huron River, where he soon after died, it is said,
in a drunken revel.
The fort at Jeromeville, Mr. Eagle says, was
built under the authority of General Bell.
The fort at Wooster was under the command of
Captain George Stidger, whose force amounted to
about one hundred and sixty men.
A few days prior to the massacre on the Black Fork,
Mr. Eagle left Wooster in charge of a company of
men for the defense of the neighbors, who had
remained in Mohican Township, having received
information that they were threatened by an attack
from the Indians. Some hours after arriving at
the fort on James Collyer's place, the
Indians appeared and made some hostile
demonstrations; but it is supposed came to the
conclusion that Eagle's force was too
formidable and too well secured, and they retired
toward Jeromeville, on their route killing all the
hogs that came in their way.
Mr. Eagle says that he piloted Bell's
army from Wooster to Jeromeville, and from thence
several miles west. He is now about eighty-one
years of age, and in feeble health.
WILLIAM EWING immigrated to Mohican Twp. in
the fall of 1814, from Bedford County, Pennsylvania,
and removed to the farm which had previously been
entered for him by his father, John Ewing -
which farm is situated about two miles southeast of
Jeromeville, and is now occupied by the family of
Michael Heickle. His immediate neighbor
was John Bryan.
Mills, Markets, etc.
Odell's mill, in Wayne County, was the most
convenient place for obtaining supplies of four.
The first year of his residence in the township,
wheat sold at $1.50 per bushel; but about the time
he had sufficient land under cultivation to enable
him to raise a surplus, the price fell to 25 cents
per bushel. Some years later the neighborhood
obtained their supplies of salt at Portland, on the
lake, at $4 per barrel. It was regarded as a
favorable exchange when a barrel of salt could be
obtained for a barrel of flour.
The Indian "Buckwheat."
acquaintance with this Indian commenced soon after
he settled in the country. He represents
Buckwheat as a man of good sense, benevolent
disposition, and remarkable for his fondness of
white children. He was never married.
The sins of his race were visited upon his
unoffending head, at an early age, in his death at
the hands of one whose brother had years previously
been murdered by Indians in a distant part of the
ALEXANDER FINLEY removed from
the place now occupied by the town of Mt. Vernon,
Knox County, to the farm in Mohican Township, upon
which Tylertown (Lake Fort Post-office) is now
situated, Apr. 17, 1809. His family then
consisted of his wife and the following named
children: James, Benjamin, John,
At the time Mr. Finley settled in Mohican
Township, himself and family were the only white
inhabitants within the limits of the territory that
now constitutes the County of Ashland.
At this date, also, there was only one family
within the town of Wooster. The name of the
head of this family was Benjamin Miller.
William and Joseph Larwill, whose
names are honorably connected with the history and
development of Wayne County, were then young men,
and boarders in the family of Mr. Miller.
This family were the nearest neighbors of Mr.
Finley at the time of his settlement in Mohican
Township. Within a few weeks, however, other
persons, namely, William and Thomas EAgle,
Benjamin Bunn, and John Shinnebarger, all
having families, settled in the neighborhood.
The year following, (1810,) Amos Norris,
Vachel Metcalf, William Bryan, Thomas Newman,
and James Slater, with their several
families, removed to the township.
The Indians in the neighborhood at this time were an
intermixture of several tribes - the Mohicans,
Delawares, Wyandottes, Shawnees, Chickasaws, and one
or two who claimed to be of the Cherokee tribe.
They were friendly and harmless, until the war of
1812 commenced, when the main body of them
disappeared, and most of them, it is supposed,
became attached to the British service.
The first year or two after Mr. Finley came to
the country, he obtained his supplies of flour and
corn meal from Shrimplin's mill, below Mt.
Vernon. This journey to the mill was performed
in canoes or pirogues, down the Lake Fork and
Mohican, and up Owl Creek, and occupied about three
days for the trip. These vessels would carry
from twenty to fifty bushels of corn meal.
The forests at this period were destitute of under
brush or small timber, but were covered with
sedge-grass, pea-vines, and weeds, which afforded
excellent pasture from early spring until about
August. The sedge-grace, when cut in July, or
earlier, afforded very nutritious and palatable food
for horses and cattle during the winter. Very
little iron was used in those days. The wooden
"mould board" plow and wooden and brush harrows were
generally in use twelve or fifteen years after
Mr. Finley came to the country; and many
continued their use several years afterward.
Ladies and gentlemen, when they clothed their feet
at all, dressed them in moccasins. Mr.
John Finley well remembers the first pair of
boots he ever saw - they being a coarse article,
purchased by his father, of John Fox, in 1820
or 1821 - price, eight dollars. Leather,
therefore, was not in use until many years after the
settlement of the country.
The clothing of the men was buckskin and flax linen.
The women were clothed in fabric made of raw cotton
and flax linen. Handkerchiefs, head-dresses,
and aprons were made, by the thrifty house-wives, of
raw cotton. The price of calico (being from
fifty to seventy-five cents per yard) placed it
without the means of any but very few to purchase.
An excellent and industrious girl, as late as 1822
or 1823, toiled faithfully six weeks for six yards
of calico, which, in those primitive days, before
the era of hoops, was deemed sufficient for a dress.
The lady who appeared in the first calico dress,
attracted, it may be supposed, considerable
attention in "the settlement," and was regarded as
much of an aristocrat.
Window glass was not in use until some years after the
war - oiled paper being employed as a substitute.
The first buggy, with elliptic springs, (being an open
one,) within the recollection of Mr. John Finley,
amazed the good people who attended the Lake Fork
Presbyterian Church, on a Sunday, about the year
1835. After intermission, the novel vehicle
attracted general attention, and when the owner, in
answer to a question, gave the name of "buggy," as
the one that properly described his carriage, his
interrogator concluded that he was disposed to "poke
fun" at him, and this opinion was generally adopted
by the indignant crow. Two horse lumber wagons
were introduced about twenty years after the first
settlement of the township.
From the date of the arrival of Mr. Finley,
until four or five years after the close of the war,
there was a good demand and good prices for all the
productions of the farm. Wheat was, however,
little grown. The staples of the farm,
consisted mainly of corn, hogs, and cattle.
Alexander Finley died December, 1825, aged
JOSHUA R. GLENN and wife
removed from Maryland to Mohican Township in 1818.
Three years subsequent he purchased, at the public
land sales held at Wooster, the quarter in section
17 of the Indian Reservation, which he improved, and
upon which he died Sept. 21, 1855, at the age of
Maj. John Glenn, Jun., brother of Joshua R.,
is now a resident of Mohican Township, and
immigrated at the same time with the father's
family. His father (John Glenn, Sen.,
who died Feb. 16, 1852, at the age of eighty-four
years) had purchased 175 acres in section 9 and 10.
Upon this land Maj. Glenn yet resides.
Himself and sister (Miss Elizabeth Glenn) are
the only survivors of his father's family.
THOMAS GREEN, originally from
Berkley County, Virginia, came to Mohican Township
in 1813 - "forted," with his family, during a part
of that year, at Jeromeville. After leaving
the fort, he settled in Orange Township. At
this time the only two families in that township
were those of Amos Norris and Vachel
Metcalf. The farm upon which he settled
was north of Orange, and is now owned by
Valentine and David Heifner.
His children were William, Jacob, Elizabeth,
Abraham, George, Mariah, Solomon, John, Thomas,
Sarah Ann, Julia, and Noah.
About 1817 Mr. Green removed to Jackson
Township, and after residing there several years
removed to Licking County, near the residence of
several brothers, and where he died in the spring of
RICHARD HARGRAVE emigrated
from Pennsylvania, and commenced his residence in
Jeromeville on the 22d of August, 1818. He
purchased of Mr. Deardoff, one of the
original proprietors of the town, in 1820, one-half
of his interest in Jeromeville. He was the
second merchant in the place - his predecessors in
trade not being very successful, and having
abandoned business when he opened his store.
Extracts of a Letter from J. J. Hootman, Esq.
Milo, Defiance County, Ohio, April 1, 1861.
My father settled in Perry Township, October, 10,
1826. The appearance of the country at the
time of our settlement was quite different from what
it is at present. The major part of the
village of Jeromeville was covered with fallen
timber and hazel bush. The improvements on the
farms then settled were small, being log cabins
surrounded by a few acres of partly cleared land.
The roads were new and unimproved, and many of them
little more than bridle-paths. The prices of
produce in 1828-29 were, as I recollect distinctly:
wheat 25 cents, (my father was offered 100
bushels for $25,
and would not buy at that;) pork $1.50 per cwt.;
corn 18 cents; salt $5.00 per barrel; coffee 50
cents per pound; tea 50 cents per quarter; butter 6
cents; eggs 0; iron 12˝
cents per pound. The usual and best market
place was Portland, (now Sandusky City.)
Twenty to thirty bushels wheat, a big load for two
and four horses, ten days of travel if the roads
were good, two weeks if not good. Massillon
became a market town. The opening of the Ohio
Canal run the price of wheat up at once to
forty cents, then to fifty, and then our farmers at
that time were satisfied, and expressed with wish
that the price would continue at that as they then
could make money. Our nearest grist-mill was
an old concern known as Goudy's Mill, southeast of
Hayesville, with one run of stone, old
stone at that. Another was Smith's
Mill, below Mohicanville, where the Chandler
Mill now stands, and of the same sort. In the
winter, when those small streams were frozen, we
went to the Clearfork to Manner's Mill, now owned by
T. Calhoun. Sometimes we had to go to
Owl Creek, in Knox County.
Old Mr. Hargrave, I believe, was the first
postmaster at Jeromeville, and held the office for
twenty-five years. The mode of travel was on
foot or horseback if the roads would permit.
INGMAND removed from Fairfield County, Ohio,
to the southwest quarter of section 11, Mohican
Township, in September, 1816. His family
consisted of his wife and two children, the present
Judge Edmund Ingmand, and Mrs. Mary,
wife of Joshua Carr, now residing in Wood
County, Ohio. Mr. Ingmand is now
(December, 1861) nearly eighty-nine years of age,
and an inmate of the family of his son.
when in the eleventh year, removed with his father
to Mohican Township. This, as before remarked,
was in the year 1816. Until about 1818 the 280
acres upon which he now resides was a part of the
four sections (7, 8, 17, and 18) which formed the
"Indian Reservation." During that year the
Federal government purchased the Indian title, and
in 1821 the lands were offered in tracts of quarter
sections at the Wooster land office, pursuant to
public notice; but as the quarter embraced in this
tract was regarded as too wet for tillage no
purchasers appeared. This land is now regarded
as equal in fertility to any in the township.
The original purchase, which constitutes his present
farm, was entered by Edward Arnold in 1821 or
1822, but a short time after it had been offered by
the government. Judge Ingmand became
the owner of it in 1834, and the additions since
made amount altogether to 280 acres.
The Indian Village, Burying-Ground, and Council
House of Jerome Township.
Were Situated upon the
Reservation above mentioned. The village and
burying ground were upon the land on which Rev.
Elijah Yocum has for many years resided - his
house having been built (by the person of whom he
purchased) over the graves of the Indians. The
first proprietor, fancying the ground as a
good building site, excavated a place for his
cellar, and removed the exhumed bones to a swamp in
the neighborhood. Subsequently, in excavating
a mill-race some fifty rods from this place, a human
skeleton was found in a position which rendered it
certain that the body had been buried with the face
downward, thus showing that it was, as has been
alleged, the custom of many Indians to bury their
dead in that position.
The Council House was upon an elevated and
beautiful spot, about one-fourth of a mile distant
from the village. The ground is now embraced
in the farm of Judge Ingmand, and is about a
quarter of a mile southeast of his house. All
their buildings, including their council house, were
burned about the time the Indians removed from the
country in 1815, whether by themselves or the whites
is not generally known.
Antiquities of Mohican
There were the remains of
no less than five ancient fortifications in Mohican
Township; the embankments very regular and very
distinctly defined, until cultivation has nearly
destroyed their original features. Three are
near Jeromeville, and two near the junction of the
Muddy and Jerome Forks. They embraced areas
averaging about one and a half acres. A mound
near the old Indian village, bearing unmistakable
evidence, after excavation, of its being a work of
art, and upon which trees, the growth of centuries,
were standing, was also in existence. The
antiquarian might be compensated for researches in
The Weather in 1816-17.
The weather during these
years was memorable on account of the cold and
frosts. During the winter of 1816 corn was
planted about the middle of May, during a snow
storm, and men gathered their wheat harvest with
overcoats upon their backs, to protect them from the
rigors of the weather! On the morning of the
1st of June, 1817, a frost visited Ohio that
destroyed utterly all the fruit, and denuded the
fruit and forest trees of their leaves. It is
remarkable, however, that the grain in the ground
escaped the general desolation, a circumstance that
is accounted for by the fact that crops were very
Memoranda of Remarkable Events.
Schools, School-houses, etc.
Description of a Fort, or Block-house
and wife, in March, 1819, removed to the northeast
quarter of section 28, Mohican Township, having
purchased his land of Martin Longstrath.
Upon this farm he yet resides.
NEWMAN. This gentleman is, (June,
1861,) beyond doubt, the oldest citizen now living
within Ashland County. He was born in
Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, England, about 1758,
which would make him now one hundred and three years
of age. Mr. Newman is also at his time
among the oldest of the pioneers. He entered
the land upon which he now resides - being the
northwest quarter of Section23, township 21,
(Mohican,) in the year 1810. About two years
afterward he received his patent, which bears date
July 1, 1812, and is signed by James Madison,
President, and Edward Tiffin, (the
first Governor of Ohio,) Commissioner of the General
Land Office. This document, which has been
well preserved, is probably amount the oldest of its
kind in the possession of the original purchaser,
which now exists in the county.
RICHARD RHAMEY, SEN,
immigrated to Jeromeville from Pennsylvania in 1813, his family then
consisting of his wife and three children.
Richard Rhamey, Jr., who was born in the old
block-house in Jeromeville, in September, 1815, is
the only surviving member of the family now residing
in Ashland County.
emigrated from Virginia, in 1802, to Pennsylvania,
from thence to Mt. Vernon, Ohio, in 1805, and in
1810 from the last-named place to Mohican Township,
and entered the southwest quarter of section 23, in
said township. This quarter he partly cleared,
and erected thereon a saw-mill, and resided upon the
place until the time of his death, which occurred
January 29th, 1838, aged seventy-four years.
When he removed to Mohican Township, his wife and
seven children constituted his family, the only
survivor of whom, residing in Ashland County, is
James S. Shinbarger, of Perry Township, and to
whom we are indebted for what follows.
Cedar Trees, and remains of Buffalo and Elk, six
in February, 1814, having previously resided in
from which town he took his departure a few weeks
after its having been burned by the British.
He entered the
south half of the northwest quarter of section 26.
Township from Maryland, in the fall of 1818.
The members of his family at this time
consisted of his wife and four children, namely,
Mary Ann, Henry, Elizabeth, and
William. The only
survivor of these, at this time, is
Winbigler, Esq., who resides upon the land
originally entered by his father, which land is the
west half of the northeast quarter of section 9,
NICHOLAS WIREMAN immigrated
to the place now known as Mohicanville, but then as
Bell's Mills, on the 15th of January, 1833, and
rented of Harvey Bell his Carding
and fulling establishment, which occupied the site
of the present woolen manufactory of
Mr. Wireman became a resident of the place, in 1833, the following
named persons embraced all the heads of families who
were then inhabitants, viz:
Simeon, Harvey, and Samuel
Henry Sherradden, and
Of those named,
Mr. Wireman is now the only surviving resident, the others being
deceased or having removed from the village.