THIS town was laid out on the 26th of October, 1830,
by John Cox and Linus Hayes It
was incorporated Mar. 2, 1849, as will be seen by
the copy of the law which follows: -
AN ACT to incorporate the
Town of Hayesville, in Ashland County.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State
of Ohio, That so much of the Township of
Vermillion, in the County of Ashland, as is included
in the town plat of the Town of Hayesville, together
with such additions as may hereafter be made
thereto, be, and the same is hereby declared a town
corporate, by the name of the Town of Hayesville,
and by that name shall be a body corporate and
politic, with perpetual succession.
SEC. 2. The
town named in the preceding section of this act
shall be entitled to all the privileges and be
subjected to all the restrictions of "an act for the
regulation of incorporated towns," passed February
sixteenth, one thousand eight hundred and
thirty-nine, and the several acts amendatory
JOHN G. BRESLIN,
Speaker House Reps.
Speaker of the Senate.
March 2, 1849.
memoranda now in possession of Rev. John Cox,
the subjoined is gathered: -
"The following is a draft of a number of lots, divided
by streets and alleys in the form below described,
intended for a town to be known by the name of
Hayesville, situated on the east half of the
southeast quarter of Section 15, township 21, of
reserve 15, formerly known by the name of Hayes
X-Roads, being the lands of Messrs. J. Cox
and L. Hayes. The principal or main
street is laid out on the road leading from Wooster
to Mansfield, with one row of 19 lots on each side -
each lot 60 feet front by 120 feet back. The
road leading form Loudonville to Ashland crosses the
above-named road at right angles, with 20 lots to
the east and 18 lots to the west. Parallel to
the first are two streets, viz.: one crossing
at the north end of the lots on the north side, the
south side, each 16 feet breadth, parallel to the
second. East is one alley of 10 feet breadth,
one street of 20 feet breadth, dividing the lots of
Cox and Hayes; east of all is an alley
of 12 feet breadth. West is an alley of 10
feet; west of all is an alley, as may be seen in the
"The first, or principal street bears south 85 degrees
60 feet breadth.
"The second, or cross street, bears north 5 degrees; 50
The inhabitants of the town, separate from the
township, have only been imperfectly taken at two
Population in 1850 ....................441
Population in 1860.....................336
figures show an apparent diminution of the
population of the town between the years 1850 and
1860, which is accounted for from the fact that the
census-taker in 1850 embraced in his return a
district which, although obviously as much a part of
the town as any other, was not legally within
the incorporated limits. It is unquestionably
true that the population and business of Hayesville
during the last twelve years have been constantly
augmenting. This has been particularly the
case since the Vermillion Institute, which is the
chief source of the prosperity of the town, and
which has withstood the shock of the present civil
war that has prostrated so many kindred
institutions, has been under the charge of
Mr. Diefendorf. The town and the
institute were never in a more prosperous condition
Hayesville contains 3 churches, 3 resident clergymen, 2
physicians, 1 lawyer, 1 high school, (the Vermillion
Institute,) 1 lodge I. O. O. F., 2 hotels, 5
boarding-hosues, 3 dry goods stores, 2 clothing
stores, 2 boot and shoe stores, 1 drug store, 1
bakery and confectionery, 2 shoe shops, 3 saddle
shops, 3 wagon manufactories, 4 blacksmith shops, 1
silversmith, 3 cabinet shops, 2 tanneries, 1
tinsmith and stove store, 2 cooper shops, and 1
Borough Officers for
David Fox; Recorder, J. Ross Folwell
Council, Joseph Folwell, D. K. Hull, John Craig,
Frederick Fox, and Wm. S. Strickland;
Treasurer, S. M. Folwell; Marshal John
LODGE, No. 325, I. O. O. F.
dispensation for this lodge was granted 14th May,
1857, to J. Kinninger, Wm. L. Smith, Wm.
G. Galloway, Nicholas McCool, and M.
The lodge was
instituted on the 27th July, 1857, by R. W. G.
Alex. E. Glenn.
The first officers were
Joseph Kinninger, N. G.; Wm. L. Smith,
V. G.; M. McLaughlin, Rec. Sec.; and W. G.
Galloway, Treasurer. The lodge was
organized with the five charter members, nine were
initiated, and one admitted by card. Total,
Lodge-room in third story of the building of Mr.
John Craig. It is a well finished hall, 36
by 20 feet, and 11 feet in height.
Present officers - Wm. O. Porter, N. G.;
George Johnson V. G.; Wm. E. Doolittle,
Rec. Sec.; R. N. Leech Per. Sec.; John
Sharick, Treasurer. Present number of
CHURCHES IN HAYESVILLE.
OLD SCHOOL PRESBYTERIAN.
Presbyterian Church in Hayesville was organized in
the fall of 1846, and had as the first minister of
Rev. Benj. T. Lowe, who preached the half of
his time there and the other half in the church of
The Rev. Wm. W. Colmery became pastor and had
charge of the church until the spring of 1850, when
Mr. Colmery having taken the Jeromeville
church, the Rev. Sanders Diefendorf,
Principal of Vermillion Institute, became
minister of the Hayesville church. This
arrangement lasted until the spring of 1852, when
the Rev. Jacob Coon having succeeded Mr.
fendorf as principal of the institute, also took
this place as stated preacher to the church.
In the autumn of 1853 Mr. Coon resigned, and
the church was vacant until April, 1854, when the
Rev. Mr. Diefendorf, who had settled in Athens,
Ohio, was recalled, and has ever since been their
minister. A handsome and substantial house of
worship was erected in 1859 nearly on the site of
the old building.
UNION PRESBYTERIAN CONGREGATION
We have not
access to the records of the organization of this
congregation. The earliest records attainable
were made in 1838, at which time Rev. Samuel
Hindman was the pastor of the congregation in
1837. A preaching station was recognized here
by the Associate Church, perhaps as early as 1832,
and the "Associate Congregation of Hayesville"
was organized soon after. The members were but
few at its first organization, and when Mr.
Hindman became their stated pastor, they were
able to obtain no more than one-fourth of his
ministerial labors - the other three-fourths being
divided equally between Mansfield, Iberia, and
Savannah. Mr. Hindmans connection with
this congregation continued till 1842, when the
pastoral relation was dissolved. In the year
1844, Rev. J. L. McLain, having accepted a
call from the congregation, was installed as their
pastor. His ministerial labors were divided
equally between Hayesville and Mansfield.
Mr. McLain's connection with the congregation
continued for eleven years. Early in the year
1855, upon the mutual request of the pastor and
congregation, the relation was dissolved by the
Associate Presbytery of Richland, to
which the congregation was in subordination.
After this the congregation was dependent upon
supplies until the autumn of 1856, when Rev. J.
Y. Ashenhurst, receiving a call, became their
stated pastor. His labors were divided equally
between Hayesville and Savannah. In May, 1858,
the union being consummated between the Associate
and Associate Reformed Churches under the name and
title of the United Presbyterian Church of North
America, and the Associate Congregation of
Hayesville, acceding to the terms of union, became
the United Presbyterian Congregation of
Hayesville. In December, 1859, upon the
petition of the Congregation of Hayesville, the
entire labors of the pastor were granted to them,
thus dissolving the relation between him and the
congregation of Savannah. In January, 1860,
Mr. Ashenhurst entered upon his labors at
Hayesville, as a separate charge - and the
congregation, for the first time in their history,
obtained the entire ministerial labors of a pastor,
which they still continue to enjoy. In 1856,
when the present pastor took charge of the
congregation, there were about fifty-six members.
Since that time about sixty have been admitted to
membership; and the decrease by death and removals
has been about forty, leaving the present membership
about seventy-six. The contributions of the
congregation for religious purposes average about
eight dollars to each member annually.
society was organized in 1828, at the house of
Richard Jackman. About two years after
Hayesville was laid out, the society erected a house
for worship 28 by 35 feet, which occupied the site
the present residence of Mr. Craig. The
membership at this time amounted to thirty.
The clergymen were Rev. H. Sheldon and
Rev. S. Renark Trustees - S.
Smith, R. Jackman, John Harman, and W. James.
The present building was erected in 1855. Its
size is 38 by 50 feet - valuation $1400.
Rev. Mr. Starr and Rev. Mr. Wilcox are
the present clergymen, and R. Hill, J. Hill,
and W. Seamans are Trustees of the church.
ESTABLISHED BUSINESS MEN IN HAYESVILLE - 1862-63.
Armentrout & Co., dealers in dry
goods, groceries, boots, shoes, hats, and caps.
Also manufacturers of millinery goods and clothing.
Northeast corner of North and Main Streets.
Folwell, S. M., dealer in drugs,
medicines, paints, oils, books, and stationery.
Also soaps and perfumeries. Main Street.
Kinninger, J. & Co., dealers in dry
goods, groceries, oils, etc., and manufactureres of
clothing. Main Street.
END OF CHAPTER X - HAYESVILLE