A Part of Genealogy Express


Welcome to
Ashland County, Ohio

History & Genealogy

A History of the Pioneer and Modern Times

Ashland County, Ohio
by H. S. Knapp
Publ: Philadelphia
by J. B. Lippincott & Co.
(Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

Vermillion Township
Pg. 254

     SURVEYED IN 1807, by Jonathan Cox, Deputy Surveyor of the United States.  Settled by white people in 1811.  Organized 25th December, 1818.

     Population in 1820 ...................................................   639
     Population in 1830 ................................................... 1451
     Population in 1840 ................................................... 2402
     Population in 1850 (including Hayesville....................  2900
     Population in 1860 (including Hayesville....................  2255

[Extracts from paper read before one of the Literary Societies of Vermillion Institute,
by Mr. Thomas J. Armstrong]

The First Settlement.

     In the spring of 1811, a modest, unassuming, democratic log cabin was erected by Mr. George Eckley.  The place where the improvements was made is now known as Goudy's Mill; and here is where the first oak was felled by the hand of human industry.  There were no towns nearer than Wooster and Mansfield.  Ashland had not made its appearance, and the village of Hayesville had never entered the minds or excited the imaginations of the sturdy pioneers.  There were two Indian villages - Jerometown and Greentown - not far distant from the present limits of Vermillion.

Captain Pipe, etc.

     The first mentioned village was the residence of the noted warrior, Captain Pipe, who dwelt there in all the regal style of a forest king.  Here the Indians held their councils, and smoked the pipe of peace, and danced away the hours when time seemed to grow heavy.  Here, too, lived one or more of the Johnnycakes, Buckwheat, and other princes of the royal blood.  Captain Pipe had laid aside his war club and tomahawk and become the friend of the white man.  He had assisted in all the border wars in this part of Ohio - had conducted the execution of Colonel Crawford with all its attendant barbarities and enormities in 1782, and was with the Indians when Wayne defeated them in 1794.  He after that removed to Jerometown, and continued true to his professions of friendship.  Our settlers traded with him, and he and his people were their neighbors, and they never experienced anything but friendship in their intercourse with them.

The Settlers seek safety in the Block Houses.

     The settlement soon had an accession of several families, and everything passed off well, although they labored under many disadvantages.  They prospered under all the difficulties they had to combat, until 1812, when the settlement was abandoned for a time.  In that year the country became involved in war with Great Britain, and the settlers went to the block-houses for safety to escape the scalping-knife of the savages, who had been induced to take sides with Britain.  Some of them went to Wooster, and others to the block houses situated on the Lake Fork.  There were stirring times within our borders, although Vermillion sent no soldiers to battle for the rights of America.

Battle of the Cowpens.

     Yet there has been an army drawn up in order of battle within its peaceful limits, the doges of war let loose to drive back the invader.  In the summer of 1812, General Bell passed through with the army, composed mostly of militia and mounted volunteers, on their way to Fort Meigs.  They encamped for two weeks upon what is now known as the Griffin farm, about one mile and a half northeast of the present village of Hayesville.  While there one dark and rainy night, when the army were wrapped in slumber, and not dreaming of war - when nothing was heard but the patter of rain, and the sentinel's cry of "all's well" - there came, borne upon the damp night air, the sharp, shrill crack of a rifle.  The sentinels rushed in the reported the enemy upon them!  The drums beat to arms, horses neighed, bugles sounded.  The ground trembled with the dull tread of squadrons tramping.  The order was given to "fire!" and never before or since was such a noise and din heard in Vermillion as there was on that eventful night.  The cavalry charged in direction of the supposed enemy, but finding no person or ting, they returned from the charge and reported that the foe had retreated; but when the first gray of morning appeared, the outposts discovered that they had been firing upon a herd of cattle belonging to the settlers, which had been roaming through the woods, and had slaughtered seventeen.  This was afterward known among the soldiers as "the battle of the Cow-pens," and was the only engagement in which many of them were employed, although others gave vent to the patriotism that filled their bosoms, and yielded up their lives upon the bloody ramparts of Fort Meigs.

Settlement of the Township resumed.

     Toward the close of the year the settlers returned, and ever after pursued their labors undisturbed by wars or rumors of wars.  Settlers came rapidly; the sound of the woodman's axe was heard on every side, and log cabins began to appear where not log before silence reigned supreme.

Organization of the Township.

     In 1813, Richland County was organized, and soon after Vermillion Township was created.  It embraced within its limits what is now Montgomery Township, and there being need of civil officers to execute the laws, James Wallace and Robert Newell were elected justices of the peace.  This was about the beginning of the year 1814.  Soon after Montgomry was stuck off, and Robert Newell lost his office, and Squire Wallace continued to dispense law and justice to the citizens of Vermillion.

Erection of the first Mills.

     During this year a mill was erected upon the stream which turn's Wallace's mill, about half way between it and the place since occupied by Goudy's.  The mill was put in order, and the inhabitants began to feel that some labor was about to be taken off their hands; but the machinery would not work.  The mill was abandoned, and the people turned to their hand-mills and corn pounders.  Some time after this another was built where the ruins of Goudy's now lie, and this time complete satisfaction was given, and hand-mills went out of use.

The first Public Road, Hotel, etc.

     In 1815, the first public road was laid out through this section from Wooster to Mansfield, which helped the settlement some, as it was the direct route from the eastern portion of the State to the western.  The lands along the road were bought and settled in a short time, and a thriving settlement was soon going on.  Emigrants traveling West had to encamp along here, as there was no hotel then, and so continued until 1871, when one was established by Linus Hayes, at Hayes's Cross Roads, who provided food for the weary traveler and for his jaded steed.

No School-Houses.

     There were no school-houses, and consequently no schools, and the young student had to be satisfied with what he could get by his own efforts, and from such books as were within his reach, which were by no means "plenty."


     Neither were there any churches, or places for holding religious meetings other than the houses of the settlers, or the groves, where they met, with no roof above them but the pure vault of ether, to worship the Most High.  Today we have costly, showy, and elegant churches, pointing upward with their spires and steeples - beauty without the comfort within - but no purer, holier, and sincerer Christianity fills the breasts of those who worship there, than that which these pioneers practiced.  In the years 1816, a small church was erected by Mr. Eckley, which was the first building for that purpose; and at the same place and about the same time a graveyard was laid out, and Mr. Constance Lake was the first person buried in it.  The church was used by all denominations; and after other churches were established, it passed into the hands of the Lutherans, and was known by the name of Eckley's "Meeting House," which name is still attached the the place it formerly occupied.

Progress of the Settlement in 1814 - 15.

     By this time the township had become pretty thickly inhabited.  The northwestern portion had not as yet been appropriated, but the eastern, middle, and western parts wore the appearance of a thriving "clearing."  The people had got clear of many difficulties which in the first place had troubled them, and now that spirit which is so general among the inhabitants of the Northern States, began to manifest itself. Moneymaking seems to have seized upon them, and the ambition of being rich to have fired their souls.  All kinds of labor and respectable means of obtaining wealth had been instituted - the blacksmith had come in and set up his forge; the wagonmaker had got to work; the carpenter was shoving his plane; and nearly all the various mechanical pursuits were represented.

Distilleries, etc.

     But these did not suffice, and in the year 1819 Norman Anderson, erected a building for the manufacture of whisky, commonly known as a still-house.  The business proved remunerative, and in a short time almost every brook in the township furnished water to distil the beverage, which became rather a popular drink from its stimulating powers and the exhilarating effects upon the human system.  Too many, however, engaged in its manufacture.  The supply was too great for the demand; and in consequence the trade languished, and soon came into disrepute.  Immigrants constantly arrived; wealth and intelligence increased, and prosperity was visible on every side.  The old Eckley meeting-house, did not stand alone as the only place of worship, for before this period school houses had made their appearance, and answered the double purpose of holding schools and as places of worship.  As improvement proceeded, the intercourse between the people became more easy.  The old or married folks visited each other, and talked over the affairs of the neighborhood.

Popular Amusements.

     Log rollings, corn-huskings, and flax-pullings were fashionable, and were the chief means of bringing the young together.  The beaux would do the work during the day, and at night the belles would come, and together they would "trip the light fantastic toe" to the music of the violin.  At corn-huskings the ladies did not consider it beneath their dignity to take part, and all looked upon these gatherings with delight, as offending opportunities for rustic lovers to exchange words and glances, which was not looked upon by their associates as violative of any rule of etiquette.  The dance formed part of the programme upon such occasions, and with their plays and social games which had been handed down from time immemorial, interspersed with "hoe-downs" and "break-downs," as they were called, formed the amusements.  These gatherings served to extend acquaintance - to make more sociable the young, and might have been the means of making more than two hearts happy.

The Town of Williamsburg.

     In the year 1829, a town was projected by Robert Williams, two miles west of the present village of Hayesville, and the name of Williamsburg given it.  But its fitful existence was soon over, and for one year more Vermillion Township was without a town.

Customs, Churches, Schools, etc.

     It is true that the manners of the people were not as refined as those who inhabited our Eastern towns, nor was the moral discipline so rigid.  They indulged in a few excesses, and tried their powers at "fistiana" on election day; but these all passed off with the excitement of the occasion, and in fact they were honest and useful members of society.  Churches were soon built.  The United Presbyterians erected the first one; the Methodists the second; in 1838 the Presbyterian was built, and in 1842 the Baptist church was erected.  Schools were also established, and the youth were taught the rudiments of education.  Select schools were formed for the benefit of those thought to be beyond the tuition of the common school teacher - especially for young ladies, as one was established for them in the year 1841.  Such of the young men as were desirous of acquiring a more extensive education were sent off to other schools.

Vermillion Institute.

     After things had gone on in this manner some time, the idea of establishing a high school in Hayesville began to be agitated. The citizens began to feel the expense of sending their children away, as well as to realize the advantage of such an institution to the interests of the town.  Accordingly, in 1843, a high school went into operation, having for its principal the Rev. Lewis Granger, a man of much learning.  The school prospered, and the hopes of the most sanguine of its patrons were fulfilled, and steps were immediately taken for the erection of suitable buildings.  In the winter of 1844-45, a charter was granted by the Ohio Legislature for a high school, and the name of Vermillion Institute was bestowed upon it, and that was the beginning of a school which, at the present time, is as popular as any institution of its kind in Ohio.  The construction of buildings was soon undertaken, and upon the 4th day of July, 1845, the corner-stone of the edifice was laid in' the presence of a large concourse of people.  The ceremonies were conducted by Rev. Mr. Granger, who pronounced an oration upon the occasion, and the Jeromeville band discoursed sweet music, which added a charm to the exercises, and heightened the pleasures of the day.  The school was got under way by the selection of Rev. J. L. McLean as President, with a corps of able assistants.  It was to be a college, where the industrious young man could lay the foundation of future greatness, and receive all the scholastic education necessary to the completion of a collegiate course.  This plan did not long continue.  The machinery would not work, and Vermillion Institute became an academy; where, although students might become apt scholars—where they might be fitted to occupy any station in life—but where the one grand object of many an ambitious student, the diploma, could not be obtained.  After this arrangement was effected, the institution went on with a varied career—some times bounding upon the highest wave of popularity— and at others almost borne down by storms of adversity.  At length, by judicious management, a new impetus was given it, and thenceforward Vermillion Institute has been ranked among the advantages not only of our county, but also as among the nourishing institutions of our noble "Buckeye State."  As an evidence of its prosperity, look at the catalogues that have been issued during the last six years, and for its popularity, at its representatives not only from every section of Ohio, but from other States.  Numerous are the benefits derived from it.  It adds much to the business of the place, and breaks the dull monotony that would envelop the community if students, with their buoyant spirits, were not present to give vent to the exuberant feelings of youth.  It has also broken the bands of that ignorance which binds the garb of superstition around a people, and among all creates a thirst for knowledge.  Numbers of youth enter and depart annually, wise in what they have learned, and happy in the associations in which they have mingled.

Continued improvement of the Township.

     The hand of improvement has certainly been here employed, and in a comparatively short time has all this taken place.  District schools have sprung up on all sides, and churches are to be seen in every part of the township.  The forest has fallen beneath the woodman's axe, and the fields once covered by its branches now yield to the labor of the husbandman.  Mills have been erected for the purpose of making flour for home consumption and for market; and steam, unthought of by the pioneer, is now employed in converting into lumber of every kind the logs and trees they labored to destroy.  All this has taken place since 1811.  Our people live easier and are far wealthier than they were then.  Markets for the purchase of every kind have been opened upon every hand, whereas then they had none.  The manners of the people and the fashions of dress have undergone a revolution. Corn-huskings, flax-pullings, and the old festive games have been laid aside for the more accomplished social amusements of modern times.  The still-houses have vanished, until but one remains within the borders of Vermillion to show curious minds how whisky is made.  Those who first broke the silence that reigned in 1811 have disappeared— some to make new settlements farther west, and others have gone the way of all things earthly.  Some were cut off in the midst of their toil, and were buried amid the scenes of their labors.  Some lived to see what was once a wilderness a land smiling with peace and plenty, peopled with intelligent beings, and went down to the tomb full of years.  Of all those who came to reclaim this region from the savage in 1811-12, but one remains among us.  Time has passed his frosty hand over his temples, and bent that form which once withstood the hardships of a pioneer life, and wrinkled his honest brow.  He can look back to that eventful year, and see where he stood then and where he stands now.  He saw the first house built, and saw the forest fall upon the approach of civilization.  The scream of the panther and the howl of the wolf startled him where he now, as the seasons appear, looks upon cultivated fields, and hears the din of the busy world.  He saw the grave close upon the mortal remains of the first person who died here, and heard the requiem sung at the funeral of the last.  What scenes has he witnessed — what memories he can recall!  He witnessed the first organization of the county and township—the first dispensation of justice—and saw the corn pounded into meal for the use of the settlers.  Long may he live, to remind the rising generation of the hardships and dangers our pioneer fathers encountered in first settling the township, and to show by this humble beginning, compared with the present state of improvement, how much honest labor, careful industry, and thrifty management, can accomplish.
     A glorious township this of ours, and a fortunate people are we!  The epidemic has swept by with its poisonous breath; nor has famine, with its long, skinny finger, pointed at us.  It has been blessed with health, prosperity, and peace.  Some places with their scenery may please better the fanciful dreams of the romantic; others may have greater attractions for the aristocratic; but for comfort, ease, and enjoyment, there are few that surpass ours.  When fifty years more shall have been added to the flight of time, and will have passed away with their joys and sorrows, hopes and fears, who can tell what an aspect Vermillion Township will then present?  We may imagine what a prospect may be spread out to the view, but none can foretell it truly.  The springs will still bubble forth their crystal waters—the streams still ripple over their pebbly beds, and the hills and the valleys will remain; but the forests will have disappeared, and the golden grain will wave upon the spot the oak has shaded.  Society will present a different character, and those who walked these streets in other days will be forgotten.  This institution of learning will have passed into other hands, and the bell which calls us daily together will summon others to their duties, and these faces now so joyous and happy, blooming with health and youth, will have faded, and some will "death's dark stream have ferried o'er."  All will be greatly changed, but he who lives in the year 1910 will find the same spirit which impelled the pioneer to penetrate the timbered lands of this township in 1811, dotting the western plains with towns and villages, and causing the soil to yield to labor its increase.  This trait of American character cannot be plucked out or obliterated.  As well might puny man in his arrogance command the sea to retire from the rock it has dashed against for a thousand years, as to prevent the spread of American industry, or to confine within narrow limits the influence of American institutions.  When all that broad domain of ours, which lies toward the setting sun, shall no more echo to the tread of the buffalo, or resound with the war-whoop of the savage, then shall it be filled with wealth, abound in intelligence, and its citizens be as free and happy as we are to-day in old Vermillion.


Clerk: John Finley - Trustees: Stephen Smith, Jared Irwin, and Daniel S. Porter - Treasurer: John Cox.

Clerk: Wm. W. Irwin - Trustees: Jared Irwin, Daniel Porter, and John Finley - Township Treasurer and Treasurer of Section 16: John Cox.

Clerk: E. R. Eckley - Trustees: David Stevens, Thomas McGuire, and Joseph Workman -
Treasurer: John Scott.

Clerk: E. R. Eckley - Trustees: Uriah Johnson, Robert Cowan, and Henry Sigler -
Treasurer: John Scott.

Clerk: Wm. W. Irvin - Trustees: Robert Cowan, John Porter, and John Harman -
Treasurer: John Scott.

Clerk: Daniel Eckley - Trustees: David Stevens, Wm. Scott
, and Treasurer: John Soctt. -
Treasurer: John Scott.

Clerk: David Ciphers - Trustees: William Scott, Joseph Stickland, and James McCrory -
Treasurer: John Scott.

Clerk: Joseph R. Buck - Trustees: James McCrory, Joseph Strickland, and Elisha Barnes. -
Treasurer: John Cox.

Clerk: Samuel J. Kirkwood (now Governor of Iowas) - Trustees: Elisha Barnes, George Buchanan and Wm. Ryland. -
Treasurer: John Cox.

Clerk: John Harman - Trustees: Elisha Barnes, George Buchanan and Wm. Ryland. -
Treasurer: A.  Armentrout.

Clerk: John Harman - Trustees: Elisha Barnes, George Buchanan and Wm. Ryland. -
Treasurer: A. Armentrout.

Clerk: John H. Cox - Trustees: Elisha Barnes, George Buchanan and Wm. Ryland. -
Treasurer: A. Armentrout..

Militia Roll of Vermillion Township for 1844,  as returned by
A. H. Anderson, Assessor.

Adams, John | Irwin, Mathew
Ault, Adam | Johnson, Abraham
Anderson, William | Johnson, Charles W.
Armentrout, Daniel | Johnson, Thomas B.
Anderson, A. H. | Johnson, John B.
Burns, John | Jarvis, John
Beck, Jacob   Johnson, Washington
Boker, John   Kyle, Samuel
Bault, Joseph R.   Kelley, Patrick
Budd, Samuel   Krabill, John
Barnes, John   Karnehan, Madison
Bonebright, John   Krabill, Jacob
Bonebright, William   Kohder, Henry
Butler, Uriah   Kover, Jacob
Berlin, William   Leiter, Christopher
Bennet, Peter, Jr.   Little, Daniel
Bennett, Michael   Latschaw, John
Bennett, Abraham   Leiter, John
Bennett, Peter   McCready, Robert
Boetcher, Charles   McCormack, Joseph
Boetcher, Martin   McNulty, Findlay
Boetcher, Frederick   Mann, William
Becktel, Isaac   Murphy, William
Budd, Joshua   Metcalf, Samuel
Baty, William   McQuillen, Wm.
Bushnell, Thomas   McQuillen, David
Bahn, Adam   Moore, Joseph
Buchanan, George   Matthews, Samuel
Brant, Henry   McCready, John
Ballentine, William   Musser, Joseph
Brown, Henry   McKnight, James
Buck, J. R.   Myers, George
Critchet, Benj. H.   Miller, Jacob
Crawford, Andrew   Moats, David
Clark, Washington   Neely, James
Carpenter, Robert   Neff, Michael
Cale, John   North, William
Campbell, Joshua   Newman, James
Christy, Levi   Ohl, Jacob
Cole, Benjamin   Provines, John
Ciphers, Jacob   Palmer, George
Campbell, James   Pinkstock, Christian
Craig, Daniel   Pressler, Jacob
Craig, Samuel   Purdy, Gilbert
Clapper, John   Potter, George
Ciphers, James   Robison, Samuel
Connelly, James   Risser, Abraham
Colmerry, Alexander   Reed, George
Cosner, Joseph   Reading, Phillip
Clotfelter, Joseph   Robison, Francis
Craig, William   Roller, Benjamin
Cubbison, Alexander   Smith, James B.
Clayton, Henry   Sharick, John
Dawson, Robert   Speelman, Daniel
Dawson, Joseph   Shriver, George W.
Dalton, William   Saylor, John
Dougherty, John   Sheneberger, Solomon
Draggo, Alpheus   Sheneberger, John
Davidson, James   Sheneberger, Joseph
Eichelberger, Godfrey   Sheneberger, Michael
Eighinger, George   Stout, William
Eighinger, David   Skilling, Michael
Eighinger, Andrew   Spiece, Henry
Ewing, Titus   Speelman, William
Ewing, Henry   Sheriff, Jacob
Ewing, Samuel   Shrock, Phillip
Ewing, John   Stevens, Abraham
Ferrell, Joseph   Sigler, Anthony
Folwell, Thomas   Sigler, Robert
Franks, David   Spitler, Samuel
Findley, Jonathan   Scott, Winfield
Giffin, Wilson   Stover, John
Greenland, Thomas   Stevens, John D.
Galloway, William   Smith, William
Galloway, Thomas H.   Smalley, Benjamin
Goudy, Elisha   Saylor, William
Goudy, Moses   Smith, S. P.
Gastor, William   Scott, John
Green, William   Turber, Samuel
Harlan, Daniel   Vangilder, Jeremiah
Huff, Jacob   Vangilder, John
Henshler, Christian   Vesper, Christian
Hoagland, Isaac   Vanzile, Alfred
Harman, Daniel   Vanzile, Azariah
Hutchison, James   Vangilder, George
Harper, Thomas   Walker, Thomas
Hammett, James M.   Williams, James H.
Hayes, George L.   Wilson, John
Holsinger, Samuel   Wilson, Robert
Horne, Andrew   Woods, William
Hilteleand, Isaac   Williams, James
Herman, Samuel   Weddle, Daniel
Harper, William   Watson, Isaac
Imhoff, Robert    

Clerk: J. S. Black - Trustees: John Harmon, David Ciphers and James M. Hammett -
Treasurer: A. Armentrout.

Clerk: J. S. Black - Trustees: Jacob Risser, David Ciphers, and John Burns -
Treasurer: A. Armentrout.

Clerk: J. S. Black - Trustees: Jacob Risser, David Ciphers, and John Burns -
Treasurer: A. Armentrout.

Clerk: William McNeil - Trustees: Jacob Risser, R. Cowan, and C. Miller. -
Treasurer: John H. Cox.

Clerk: William McNeil - Trustees: Robert Cowan, and Christian Miller, and David Fox. -
Treasurer: John H. Cox.

Clerk: William McNeil - Trustees: Robert Cowan, and C. Miller, and E. Davis -
Treasurer: T. J. Cox.

Clerk: J. R. Buck - Trustees: Robert Cowan, Christian Miller, and William McNeil -
Treasurer: T. J. Cox.

Clerk: Sterling G. Bushnell - Trustees: Robert Cowan, David Ciphers and Archibald Gillis -
Treasurer: Thomas J. Cox

Clerk: William Porter - Trustees: William Galloway, George Buchanan, and Samuel Gibson -
Treasurer: Thos. J. Cox.

Clerk: William Porter - Trustees: William Galloway, Samuel Gibson and George Buchanan. -
Treasurer: Joseph Kinninger

Clerk: William Gastor - Trustees: Wm. Craig, Joseph Strickland and W. D. Swearingen. -
Treasurer: Joseph Kinninger

Clerk: William Gastor - Trustees: George Buchanan, Robert Williams, and Samuel Craig. -
Treasurer: Joseph Kinninger

Clerk: James Yocum - Trustees: Robert Wilson, Thos. Johnson, and John S. Grabill -
Treasurer: Joseph Kinninger

Clerk: James Sanderson - Trustees: McClure Davis, Robert Cowan and Stephen Ewing. -
Treasurer: Joseph Kinninger.

Clerk: James Sanderson - Trustees: William L. Smith, John Lemmon, and Archibald Gillis. -
Treasurer: Joseph Kinninger.

Clerk: James Sanderson - Trustees: Joseph Strickland, Stephen Ewing, and Thomas Crone. -
Treasurer: Wade Armentrout..

Clerk: D. K. Hull - Trustees: Joseph Strickland, Thomas Crone, and William Ewing. -
Treasurer: Wade Armentrout.

Clerk: D. K. Hull - Trustees: William Ewing, Benjamin Smalley and Andrew Scott -
Treasurer: Wade Armentrout.


1828 William McCrory, elected
1831. William W. Irwin, elected
1831. Jared Irwin, elected
1834 Robert Cowan, elected
1837. John Harman, elected
1837. Robert Cowan, re-elected
1838 Peter Eckley, elected
1840 John Harman, re-elected
1840 Robert Cowan, re-elected
1841 Joseph Strickland, Jr., elected
1841 Archibald Gillis, elected
1842 Andrew Scott, elected
1842 David Ciphers, elected
1843 John Harman, re-elected
1844 Oliver Sloan, elected
1845 David Ciphers, re-elected
1846 John Harman, re-elected
1846 George Buchanan, re-elected
1848 David Ciphers, re-elected
1849 John J. Gurley, elected
1849 George Buchanan, re-elected
1851 John M. Rowland, elected
1851 David Ciphers, re-elected.
1852 George Buchanan, re-elected
1854 William S. Strickland, re-elected
1854 N. G. Swearingen, elected
1855 James B. Smith, elected
1857 J. Kinninger, elected and resigned
1858 William S. Strickland, elected
1858 James B. Smith, re-elected
1861 McClure Davis, elected
1861 William S. Strickland, re-elected


     Aside from those in the town of Hayesville, there are three.


     There is a church building belonging to this denomination on the land of McClure Davis, within about a mile and a half of the south line of the township, which was erected in 1852.  The building is known by the name of "Hammond's Meeting-House."  The pulpit is supplied during the current year by Rev. Mr. Starr and Rev. Mr. Spafford.
The officers of the church are, J. B. Smith, Steward;  Class Leaders, Benjamin Cole and H. B. Davis, J. B. Smith, Benjamin Cole, McClure Davis, Z. Baker, Wm. Lattimore, H. B. Davis, and John Van Gilder.  The present membership amounts to about forty.


     This church, in the pleasant and flourishing "Risser Settlement," was reorganized in 1860.  The house was built in 1847 by the Mennonites, a denomination that embraced about fifteen families.  Rev. John Risser was the first pastor, but resigned after about three years' service.  The church officers were Christian Herschler and John Latschar.  After this one-half interest in the house was sold to the Germans of other denominations, and were served by Lutheran ministers until 1860.  The name of its present pastor is Rev.  M. Kroenlein.  The dimensions of the house are 28 by 36 feet, and will accommodate about one hundred and seventy five persons with seats.


     A Church of this name, more generally known as Winebrenarian, was organized in Vermillion Township, in1835, with about twenty members.   Rev. Thomas Hickernell and Rev. Jacob Keller were the first pastors.  Michael Stevens and Archibald McGrew were the first elders.  The church building is near the east line of Vermillion Township.  Its dimensions are 30 by 40 feet, and will accommodate a congregation of three hundred and fifty.  The membership now amounts to eighty.  Rev. L. B. Hertman is the present pastor; Benjamin Roller, elder, and Abraham Stevens, deacon.


HENRY ANDRESS, an emigrant from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, removed with his family to Montgomery Township, in September, 1826.  He is now a resident of Vermillion.  As incidents of public importance which occurred within his knowledge are related by others, his reminiscences are omitted.

STERLING G. BUSHNELL immigrated to the farm now occupied by his son Thomas, one mile east of Hayesville, May 20, 1821.  The family of sons and daughters then consisted of William, Sedelia, Collins, Jotham, Huldah, Rosella, Homer, Olive, and Thomas.
At this date (1821) the place now occupied by the original town of Hayesville was an entire wilderness, without a dwelling or family.  Linus Hayes dwelt in a log cabin on the site now occupied by his widow on the main street, and which was subsequently embraced in addition to the town.
     About 1823 or 1824 a very small cabin and blacksmith-shop were erected on the lot now owned by Dr. Armstrong, on the northwest corner of the principal streets.  These buildings (if they could be dignified with the name) were the first erected within what was the original town.  The first building in which goods were sold was upon the same lot, erected by Mr. John Cox, who filled it with the first stock of goods that were brought to the town.
     The first wheat, within the recollection of Mr. Bushnell, offered for cash, was about 1822 or 1823, at the mill built by Lake and Bentley, and at the time referred to owned by Lake and Larwill, and which mill was better known in recent times as Goudy's mill, in the southeast part of Vermillion Township.  One hundred bushels were offered on this occasion for twenty-five dollars, but Mr. Bushnell is not positive whether the offer was accepted.

First Sale of Lots in Hayesville.  Power of Whisky.

     The original proprietors of the town of Hayesville were Rev. John Cox and Linus Hayes.  As the Loudonville and Ashland, and Wooster and Mansfield roads crossed at this point, Mr. Cox concluded that it might be the site of a future town.  He accordingly gave notice of a sale of lots, and on the day named a considerable number assembled to attend the sale.  The business opened in the forenoon, and the auctioneer, John Shriver, expended his "yelloquence" in vain on the advantages offered, for no bids whatever could be obtained.  At noon Mr. Cox despaired of being a founder of a town in this locality, and offered his whole farm for three hundred dollars.  Even this offer, however, he could persuade no one to accept.
     In this extremity some one suggested that whisky possessed a virtue in these matters which might insure better success.  A jug of that beverage was therefore obtained, a quantity of poke berries placed in it, and, under the name of "CHERRY BOUNCE," offered the crowd, who partook of it freely.  After a little "things worked," the services of John Shriver was dispensed with, and T. J. Bull, of Loudonville, mounted a chestnut stump which stood about the place now occupied by the town fountain, where the principal streets cross, and again offered the fist lots in the embryo town of Hayesville.  After a little effort the first lot (the one now occupied by Armentrout & Son) was sold to David Richmond (a shoemaker) for seventy-five dollars.  At the close of the day a mere fraction of the land, which at noon he had offered for three hundred dollars, had been sold for more than twice that amount.  Great is whisky, and great are sometimes its conquests.
     Mr. Sterling G. Bushnell
died in August, 1847, aged seventy-six years.  His widow now resides with her son Thomas upon the old homestead.
     William  is a resident of Mansfield, a well-known physician of that city, and has represented very creditably his county in the General Assembly of Ohio.  Sedelia is the wife of James Conley, and with their family are residing in Iowa.  Collins died in Louisiana in 1832.  Jotham was drowned in Conoma River, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, June, 1837, where he was buried, and in 1860 his body was exhumed and transferred to the cemetery at Mansfield.  Huldah is the wife of Stephen Tannar, a resident of Wayne County.  Rosella is the wife of J. W. Sloan, and resides in Lexington, Richland County.  Homer died in Mercer County in 1855.  Olive is the wife of Dr. David Snively, who reside at Xenia, Ohio.
     Thomas, to whom we are indebted for this sketch, resides, as before remarked, on the old homestead near Hayesville.

Persuit of Whisky under Difficulties.

     When Dr. William Bushnell, now of Mansfield, was a boy in Vermillion Township, is father was about to raise a log barn, an enterprise which, in those days, could not be accomplished without the persuasive power of whisky.  They had heard of a new still-house near Uniontown, (Ashland,) and to this place the doctor was sent.  His way led through the pathless forest.  He was upon horseback, and under him was a bag, in one end a jug and in the other a stone to balance.  He succeeded, after much tribulation, in making his way to the distillery, but on his return became lost after night had closed in upon him, and he was compelled to lay out and submit to the unbidden music of the wolves, whose howls were incessant throughout the night.  About ten o'clock on the day after his departure on his errand, he appeared before the thirsty laborers, and soon was enabled to appease their wrath and their thirst.

REV. JOHN COX removed from Somerset County, Pennsylvania, to the land upon which is now situated the town of Hayesville, in May, 1823.  He purchased of a Mr. Hensh about seventy acres of Virginia Military School land, paying said Hensh one hundred and twenty dollars for his quit claim, and assuming to pay the State two dollars per acre, making the whole cost of his seventy acres two hundred and sixty dollars.  Upon this track there was about three acres cleared on the northeast corner, and within what is now the center of the town there were two cabins, one of which stood near the spot of his present residence in Hayesville, and the other upon the lot now owned by Armentrout & Son.
     The town of Hayesville was laid out in the fall of 1830, and the town plat recorded in Mansfield, Oct. 26, 1830.  The first public sale of lots occurred on the 18th of November of the same year.

The First Post-Office.

     The post-office at Hay's X-Roads was established Jan. 18, 1827, and Mr. Cox appointed postmaster.  This office he held until July 1, 1841, when, for political reasons alone, which then existed, but do not now, he was removed, and Mr. D. K. Hull appointed in his place.  When the post-office was established, it was supplied several years by a weekly mail carried on horseback by John Willson.

 JOSEPH DUNCAN removed from Stark County, Ohio, to the land he now holds in Vermillion Township, being the southwest quarter of section 36, in the spring of 1824.  He had entered this land and made some improvements upon it two years prior to this date.   When he removed to his place his family consisted of his wife, daughter Eliza, and son John.  His immediate neighbors, and who occupied adjoining lands, were William Black and George Marshall, both having since deceased.
JOHN FARVER immigrated to Vermillion Township, with his wife and two children, on the 29th of April, 1817, and commenced improvement on his present farm, being the west half of the northeast quarter of section 2.  Mr. Farver's whole moneyed resources, when he settled in the county, amounted to twelve dollars.  His first stock of corn was purchased on Owl Creek at fifty cents per bushel.  Four days were occupied in the journey to and from Owl Creek, and a team of three horses labored hard to drag fifteen bushels of corn over the roads in their then condition.
     His first crop of wheat, raised in 1817, he commenced harvesting on the twentieth of August.  The wheat was none too ripe.  Corn, pumpkins, and all other crops were proportionately late.  Mr. Farver has this day (14th of July, 1862,) reached his seventy-sixth birthday, and enjoys moderate health.

ROBERT FINLEY - The family of this gentleman was the second that located in Vermillion Township.  In the early part of April, 1811, he established himself upon the northeast quarter of section 12, said land being now owned by Alexander Nelson, Adam Baum, and Thomas Crone.  The family of George Eckley had preceded that of Mr. Finley to the township only about two weeks.  Mr. Finley died upon the farm above mentioned on the 4th of July, 1825, at the age of sixty-five.
     Eli, (son of the above named), now the oldest resident of Vermillion, (and whose marriage was the second that was solemnized in the township,) is the only surviving member of his father's family.

WILLIAM HARPER, an emigrant from Jefferson County, Ohio, entered the southwest quarter of section 10, township 21 (Vermillion,) in June, 1815.  The residents of the township at that date were Samuel Bolter, George Ackley, Jonathan Palmer, Robert Finley, William Black, George McClure,,,,,,,,, Samuel Hunt, and James Walters, (the latter acting as justice of the peace.)
     The names of the sons and daughters of William Harper, were John Nancy, Henry, Mary, Sarah, Sophia, and Elizabeth.
The nearest mill at this time was Shrimplin's, on Owl Creek.  The trip occupied from four to six days, and was made with four horses and a wagon, which would carry from forty-to fifty bushels.
     There was no wheat raised or for sale in the county at this time.  Corn would bring eighty and one hundred cents.  The animal food was principally venison and other wild game.  About 1819 and 1820 the county began to raise a surplus of agricultural products, and from this time forward the completion of the Ohio Canal, produce would hardly bear transportation to the market, (which was then Sandusky City.)  Mr. Harper on one occasion took a load of flour to market and exchanged his flour for salt, giving two barrels of flour and half a dollar in cash for each barrel of salt.  The first substantial encouragement given the farming and industrial interests was the market afforded by the completion of the Ohio Canal to Massillon; but the construction of the ship canal from the mouth of Huron River to Milan made a yet better market than Massillon, and effected a change in the course of trade.  The railroad system, however, greatly injured Massillon, and almost destroyed its trade.
     William was killed by the running away of his team near Plymouth, Ohio, about 1831.  John now occupies the old homestead.  Nancy is the wife of Joseph SheetsMary is the wife of Joseph Strickland - all residents of Vermillion Township.  Henry  resides in Medina County, Ohio.  Sarah is the wife  of John Cole, and resides in Indiana.  Sophia is the wife of John Hall, of Vermillion Township; and Elizabeth married Charles Reed, and resides in Michigan.

RICHARD JACKMAN emigrated from Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1823, having, in 1816, visited the county and entered, at the office in Canton, the southwest quarter of section 23, Vermillion Township, upon which he now resides.  When he arrived here his family consisted of his wife and his daughter, Matilda W.

WILLIAM KARNAHAN emigrated from Jefferson County, Ohio, April 16, 1815, with his family, consisting of his wife, his son Robert M., and daughter Eliza A.  Mr. Karnahan died upon the place he originally selected for his home, being the southeast quarter of section 23, Vermillion Township, on the 24th of September, 1852, aged sixty-three years.
     The country at this date was very sparsely settled - his nearest neighbor being Mr. Emerine, located one and a half miles distant.  About this distance from where he erected his cabin, on the farm now owned by Mr. Stoufer, a den of rattlesnakes was discovered, near the entrance to which as many as twenty-five were killed in a single day.  At another den, on or near the farm now owned by Robert Cowen, as many as seventy-five of these reptiles were killed in a single day.  On one occasion the family were assailed by a panther, who approached the house on an evening within a few rods, and only disappeared after the family had secured the doors and windows of their cabin, and kindled a brilliant fire.

GEORGE MARSHALL immigrated to Vermillion Township, and purchased of James Lawhead the land upon which a part of his family now reside, in April, 1822.  He emigrated from Pennsylvania, with his wife - all his children having been born in Vermillion Township.  Mr. Marshall died on the 6th of January, 1852, in his fifty-third year.

ANDREW NEWMAN removed to Vermillion Township in the fall of the year 1825, and purchased of Samuel McBride the farm upon which was afterward the site of Newman's mill - being the same property now owned by Joseph Boyd.  At this date his family consisted of his wife and two sons, namely, William, and James H.
     Mr. Newman
subsequently purchased a farm on the south line of Vermillion Township[, where he died on the 20th of January, 1861, at the age of eighty-three years.
     He had immigrated to Richland County in the year 1806, and during the war of 1812 resided about three and a half miles southwest of Petersburg, Mifflin Township, on the Rocky Fork.

The Indian Murders on the Black Fork.

     When these occurred, Mr. Newman was engaged in the building of a sawmill on the Rocky Fork, about three miles distant from the scene of the tragedy.  He always maintained that the romantic accounts of these bloody transactions heretofore published were inaccurate.  Being familiar with the contemporaneous accounts, it is reasonable to infer that his impressions are correct.

JONATHAN PALMER, while a resident of Jefferson County, Ohio, made a visit to Vermillion Township, in September, 1810, and entered two quarters - one being the northeast of section 12, (now owned by Thomas Boyd,) and the other being the farm now owned by George Buchanan, Esq.  On this visit, he was accompanied by his eldest son Ephraim.  Having made the entries described, he returned home, where he continued until the spring of 1811, when he revisited the tract first named and commenced improvements, in which work he was aided by a portion of his family - two sons and a daughter.  During the season a cabin house was erected, and three acres cleared and planted in corn.  Hewn logs for a building were also prepared - being the first effort toward such a substantial improvement that had been made in Vermillion or any of the adjoining townships.  It had been the intention to send for the remainder of the family in the fall of this year; but the unsettled relations with the British and Indians changed the plan, and the family reunited in Jefferson County, where the remained until September, 1814, when, notwithstanding war yet existed, the whole family removed and made a permanent settlement upon their land.

Families in Vermillion Township in 1814.

     The heads of families at this time residing in Vermillion Township were, in addition to his own, Robert Finley, Lemuel Boulter, Samuel Hutchings, William Black, George Eckley, and Daniel HArlan.  Of those named none now survive.
     Mr. Palmer died Dec. 24, 1816, leaving a widow and ten children.

Remarkable Presentment and Coincidence.

     MR. JAMES PALMER (now a resident of the southwest corner of Perry Township, and who was the fourth son of the gentleman whose decease is above noticed, and who also communicates these facts) mentions a singular instance attending the death of an uncle, Nathaniel Palmer, which occurred in 1815.  When he parted with is family, this gentleman, although in good physical health and in the vigor of manhood, mentioned to them a presentment that he would not live to meet them again.  He, however, came to the country, and entered land in Green Township; and while on a visit at the house of his brother, was taken ill of fever - and on the evening of the ninth day, after having been pronounced by his physician convalescent, turned his face to the wall, and, within three minutes after having made this movement, breathed his last.  A messenger was immediately dispatched to communicate intelligence of the death of his family.  On reaching Canton, he met a messenger from Jefferson County charged with the sad duty of communicating to the husband the death of the wife!  It appeared that their deaths had occurred the very same hour.

Climate, Seasons, etc.

     There was less of the winter; and the spring, summer, and fall seasons, Mr. Palmer says, were longer than now - the weather more stable, and vegetation had a ranker growth.  The appearance of the country in its wilderness condition is described by him as more beautiful and attractive than any he had ever seen.  The axe and plow, while they have been useful agents in developing the wealth, have marred the features of the country.  It was arrayed in its most attractive form during the months of May and June, when the hills, covered with their giant oaks in full livery, and undergrowth of sedge, rich weeds, and pea-vine, presented an appearance of wild beauty, which generations of subsequent cultivation and artificial adornment cannot improve to the eye.

Churches, etc.

     Not until several years after Mr. Palmer came to the country, was there any church building in the township.  The first clergymen were Presbyterian missionaries, who, in traveling to and from their missions among the Senecas and Wyandots, made it a practice for many years to preach at the house of Mr. Palmer and others.  The first church building erected in the township stood upon land now owned erected in the township stood upon land now owned by Joseph Boyd, and occupied the place near where Mr. Boyd's mill now stands.  It was a very large building for the time - belonged to the Methodist denomination - was made of unhewn logs, and erected in about 1818.  To aid in raising the building, persons came from Mansfield and other places equally distant.  When Quarterly Meetings were held in this building, they were generally attended by people from a great distance.  So utterly unable were residents of the neighborhood to entertain their friends from abroad, that the latter would often bring with them their supplies of food, cooking utensils, bed-clothing, etc., and during the intervals when the church was not used for divine service, the capacious wooden fireplace would be used by the women, cooking food for themselves and families - in fact, converting the building into one for eating and lodging, as well as for religious purposes.  The necessity was the result, not of any want of hospitality, but of the absence of food and house room existing in the vicinity.

The First Burial Ground.

     This adjoined the church above described - the bodies of such as had previously died in Vermillion having been buried in Green Township, near Perrysville.  The first interment was the body of Mr. Mannan, an old gentleman upwards of ninety years of age.  The second was the body of Joseph Lake, Sr., about the same age, and said to have been, at the time of this decease, the oldest member of the Methodist Church within the State of Ohio.


     When Mr. Palmer's father came here there were none, within his knowledge, in the county - not even at Mansfield or Wooster; and the sight of a physician to the people then residing here would be as great a curiosity as a wild Indian among the present generation.  Their course, wholesome food, and active lives secured the health of the inhabitants, and obviated the necessity for physicians.


     This town was laid out by Vaughan and Deardoff of Tuscarawas County.  The first merchants were Lake & Larwill, who conducted business from 1817 until 1821 or 1822.  Jerome and his family were the only inhabitants of the town when its  plat was surveyed.

BAPTISTE JEROME.  After he removed from Jeromeville, Mr. Jerome and Mr. Palmer were neighbors - the former being some three years and owner and occupant of the farm upon which was afterward the mill of Constance Lake, now better known as "Goudy's Mill."  He represents Mr. Jerome as a well-informed quiet, and orderly man.

GILBERT PURDY, an emigrant from New York, in 1817 bought the west half of the eighty acres of George McClue, now owned by John Scott, Sr., and adjoining John Harper's on the south.  At the time of his removal his family consisted of Peter M., Henry, Sarah, Cornelia, and Gennett.  The latter married the widow of Starling G. Bushnell.

WILLIAM REED entered the land he now occupies in Vermillion Township in the year 1811, and removed his family upon it April 14, 1814.  He was originally from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania.  Mr. Reed enlisted in the military service during the first year of the war with Great Britain in 1812, and served until 1814, when, from disability, he obtained a furlough-from his captain (Jack) at Mansfield, and continuing physically unable, he did not return to the service.
     Mr. Reed was eighty years of age 11th June, 1862.
     When he removed to his land, (southeast quarter section 5,) it was a wilderness; his nearest neighbors - except the families of George, William, and Thomas Hughes, and John Howard - were five miles distant.

WILLIAM RYLAND emigrated from Bedford County, Pennsylvania, and entered at the land-office at Canton the farm upon which he now lives, in the autumn of 1815.  His family then consisted of his wife and one daughter, Mary Ann, who is now the widow of Jonathan Black.  Among his neighbors were Robert Jackman, who lived upon the farm now occupied by Archibald Gillis; Lemuel Boulter, the only occupant of the land upon which the flourishing town of Hayesville now stands;  John Vangilderb, who then resided upon the same place he now occupies; John McCrory, who lived upon the land now occupied by his descendants; Joseph Workman, who is now a resident of another portion of the township from that in which he at first resided;  Ephrain Eckley, for an number of years justice of the peace,) and who resided upon the farm now owned by Abraham Johnson; George McClure, who lived upon the land in section 10 now owned by John Scott, Sr.; and William Karnahan, who resided upon the southeast quarter of section 23.
     Joseph Lake, at this date, was the only resident of Jeromeville.  He was the owner of a small stock of goods.  The block-house occupied during the war was yet standing, but was only used occasionally for religious meetings.
     Lemuel Boulter sold his interest in the land upon which Hayesville was subsequently built to Linus Hayes.  Mr. Cox's purchase was of John Hersh - the lands being in the Virginia Military Land District.

JOHN SCOTT immigrated to Vermillion Township 22d March, 1819, having purchased two hundred and twenty acres on the west line of the township (being the farm upon which Joshua Campbell now resides) some three years previous.
     On the 7th January, 1831, Mr. Scott opened the first stock of goods ever offered at Hayes X-Roads.  The first charge upon his day=book under that date reads thus: -
          STEPHEN SMITH.                                                                    Dr.
To 19½ lbs. iron @ 9 c.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     . $1  74
"      3    "    tobacco @ 12½     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .      37½

     His first lot of goods were placed in a log cabin which stood upon the lot now owned by Dr. Armstrong.  During the same year, however, he erected the substantial buildings which now occupy the lot.
     In July, 1832, MR. Scott  formed a partnership with Daniel Porter, of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, in the goods trade; which partnership was formed for the term of eighteen months, each investing in cash capital of $2500.  At the close of the partnership they discovered that they had duplicated their capital.  Much of their business, however, was dealing in stock, from which a considerable amount of profits were derived.
     As evidence of the integrity of his customers at that time, Mr. Scott says that, during the first four years of his business life in Hayesville, he has no recollection of having lost a dollar by bad debts.  With reference to girls who supported themselves by weekly wages, he generally gave credit when it was asked, and the money was always promptly paid according to promise.
     In 1840 Mr. Scott sold to Jacob Kinnaman the "Armstrong corner," and purchased of Francis Graham, of Ashland, the brick building upon the opposite corner.  Here he continued business until June, 1846, when he disposed of his stock of goods to Messrs. Cox & Higbee, and retired from the business.
     In September, 1857, John and W. W. Scott resumed business at the old stand vacated by the former in 1846, and where they yet continue

An Episode under the old law of Imprisonment for Debt.

     The rigors and injustice of his law were occasionally relieved by incidents of humor.  Among the latter was a case that occurred at Hayesville in the "early times."  A very dashing young man, claiming the ownership of a fast horse, and sporting the first gold watch that had probably ever appeared in the township, sought and obtained credit of a merchant in Hayesville to the amount of about forty dollars, for which indebtedness he was in due time sued; and in default of goods whereon to levy, an execution issued for his body.  Under that law, if the judgment-debtor gave bail he was released from prison, and became entitled to the "jail-bounds," which comprehended the limits of the county; but the law confined him strictly within such boundaries, and if he placed his foot over the line his bond would become forfeited.  The defendant had procured the necessary bail, and, within the territory of Richland County, his movements were as untrammeled as those of his creditor.  A party of wags, of which Hayesville, in those days, always had "a quorum," disliking the lofty "style" and fraudulent practices of said debtor, originated a scheme by which to entrap him, and which, having stated the premises, will be understood by the reader as we narrate it.
     Thomas Stringer and David Potts, (brothers-in-law, fast friends, and notorious lovers of fun,) whose "heads had been together: on this case, obtained sight of their victim standing near a public place, and forthwith made for his vicinity, in earnest dispute about the trotting qualities of the horses of which they were the respective owners.  As they approached their intended victim, their dispute waxed more fierce, and the young man at once enlisted in the broil, and "mixed in."  A wager was agreed upon, and the money staked.  Judges were also selected, one of whom *happened to be the debtor; and the ground selected happened to be on the Mansfield and Wooster Road - the eastern terminus also happening to be a few rods east of the county line.
     The arrangements being completed, the contestants for the wager, which astride his own horse, followed by the judges at a certain distance, were soon upon the ground and absorbed in the exciting race.  One of the parties to the sham bet, (Mr. Potts,) a regular Falstaff in physical contour, of about two hundred and twenty pounds avoirdupois, appeared rather "much" for his horse, which would occasionally "break," when, by the rules of the race, he would be compelled to turn the animal completely around, thus losing much precious "time."  Mr. Stringer, however, not being a remarkably accomplished horseman, the beasts and their riders reached the established goal about "neck and neck."  The point having been reached, Stringer and Potts cast themselves from their horses, and engaged in fierce crimination and recrimination, each charging upon the other "foul play" in riding, and throwing off their coats for the desperate fight.  The young judge, yet in full view of the "deadly strife," but with his "associate judge," a short distance in the rear, put spurs to his horse, and, with the least possible delay, placed himself between the hostile parties with the humane purpose of saving the useless effusion of blood! - assuring the gentlemen, upon his "word of honor," that the matter should be determined by by a scrupulous regard to the rules of racing.  His pacificatory eloquence prevailed, and the belligerents meekly received the verdict of the judges, and a happy reunion of broken ties was the result.
     After the return of the crowd to town, some one incidentally remarked, in the hearing of the real victim of the drama, that it was rather a remarkable circumstance that Richland County did not afford land enough upon which to have a trotting match, and that it became necessary to use for that purpose a part of Wayne County!   Our hero turned to Mr. Stringer and inquired whether they had really passed the limits of Richland County; whereupon Mr. Stringer forthwith proceeded to make a very nice calculation of metes and bounds, and after much deliberation arrived at the amazing conclusion that the eastern stakes would, sure enough, bring them within Wayne County!  The crowd, discovering the embarrassment of "young gent," gave way to their feelings in an irrepressible and prolonged roar of mirth.  The young financier became enraged - charged conspiracy, and all manner of crimes - swore terribly, and the more terribly he swore, louder and more wild became the merriment of the crowd.  Discovering, at length, that the insurrection against him was too extensive, he subsided, and with a forced pleasantry consented to permit the affair to pass off as "a good joke."

MICHAEL SIGLER immigrated with his wife and four children to Vermillion Township in November, 1820, and purchased the eighty acres upon which Henry Helbert now resides.  He emigrated from Pennsylvania.  Prior to his purchase of this land, he had contracted with Mr. Hersh for the land upon which the major portion of Hayesville now stands; but some trifling difference in regard to details prevented the closing of the contract, and Rev. Mr. Cox became the purchaser.
     Mr. Sigler has resided the last twenty-seven years in Lake Township.

STEPHEN SMITH immigrated to Vermillion Township from Trumbull County, Ohio, and purchased for his future home the northwest quarter of section 33, Vermillion Township, now occupied by his son, James B. Smith.  His family at this time consisted of his wife, daughter Lydia, and son James B.  Mr. Smith died August 19, 1840, at the age of fifty-one years, less a few days.
     With the exceptions of John Johnston and George Shriver, who occupied adjoining quarters, among his nearest neighbors was Linus Hayes, subsequently one of the proprietors of Hayesville.  The country was very sparsely settled, and the little family would find their nights made hideous by the howling of wolves, which would often approach within a few rods of their house.  Wild beasts and reptiles abounded in the wilderness.  Rattlesnakes, some of them of immense size, were also numerous.

JOSEPH STRICKLAND, an emigrant from Jefferson County, Ohio - his native State being New Jersey.  He was the father of Mahlon, Joseph, William S., and Amos Strickland.  Mr. Strickland died in Seneca County, Ohio, about thirteen years ago, at the age of eighty-six years.  He served as a soldier in the war of the American revolution.

JOSEPH WORKMAN, an emigrant from Adams County, Pennsylvania, removed with his family (consisting of his wife and four children) to Vermillion Township in the fall of 1815.  He entered the northwest quarter of section 26; and also purchased, of John Baptiste Jerome, the property in section 12, since known as the Goudy Mill property.  He subsequently sold the last named tract to Constance Lake, who erected upon it the first mill.  In 1854, he purchased the farm upon which he now resides - being thirty acres in section 25.  He is now in his seventy-seventh year, and in vigorous mental and bodily health.

First Justices of the Peace.

     When Mr. Workman came to the country the territory of Vermillion and Montgomery were united in one township, under the name of the former; and Robert Newell and James Wallace were the two justices of the peace.  Mr. Workman was elected in 1817,a nd was the successor of Mr. Wallace.

Indian Neighbors

     His nearest neighbors were Johnnycake and his squaw.  He was a quiet, friendly neighbor, and Mr. Workman took his first lessons in hunting wild game of this Indian.

The First School.

     The first school taught in Vermillion Township was in 1821, in a building which had previously been used as a Baptist church.  Its site was near where the present school-house in Thomas Bushnell's district stands, and the school was taught by Miss Sedalia Bushnell.  Six years, therefore, had elapsed before Mr. Workman's children had the privileges of any other instruction than such as they received at home.


CLICK HERE to Return to

CLICK HERE to Return to

This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights