OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Ashland County, Ohio

History & Genealogy

Source:
A History of the Pioneer and Modern Times

of
Ashland County, Ohio
by H. S. Knapp
Publ: Philadelphia
by J. B. Lippincott & Co.
1863.
(Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

CHAPTER VIII.
Ashland Township
pg. 215
 
     THE seat of justice of Ashland County was originally known as Uniontown, and under the latter name was laid out July 28, 1815, by William Montgomery.  The causes which led to the change in the name of the town are explained in the statement of Francis Graham, Esq., to which the reader is referred.
     In 1817, the population, as near as can be ascertained, consisted of hte following named persons and their families:  William Montgomery, Jacob Shaffer, Elias Slocum, George W. Palmer, Alanson Andrews, Samuel Urie, Joseph Sheets, David Markley, Amos Antibus, Joel Luther, and Mr. Nightingale.  Jacob Shaffer above named, was a shoemaker and a revolutionary soldier, and lived in a small dwelling upon the lot now occupied by the store of Judge Wick.

Population of Ashland in 1830 ................  235
"          "          "          "   1850.................1264
 "          "          "          "   1860................1748

     It could not have been supposed by its enterprising proprietor, that the town was destined to advance beyond the dignity of a "Cross Roads" establishment, as the original narrow and zigzag street unmistakably indicates his views.  The rude inn, the blacksmith, weaver, tailor, shoe shop, and distillery would have marked very nearly the culminating point in the town's prosperity, had it not been that the enterprise of a generation of men who succeeded the founder of the town conceived the idea of establishing an institution that was destined, under Providence, to accomplish results that have led to the Ashland that now exists.  And this brings us at once to the basis of the rise and progress of the town.  It is not too much to say that Ashland owes all the consequence4 it has attained, and its success in local conflicts with rival rival towns, to

The Ashland Academy
pg. 216

 

Ashland Union School
pg. 220

 

 

CHURCHES.
pg. 221

 

FIRST PRESBYTERIAN.

 

METHODIST EPISCOPAL

 

EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN.

 

BAPTIST.

 

DISCIPLE.

 

MASONS AND ODD FELLOWS
pg. 241

 

INDEPENDENT ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS
pg. 243

 

THE FIRST BURIAL GROUNDS
pg. 244

     The first burial ground for Uniontown and vicinity adjoined the old Hopewell Church, one mile and a half west of town.  The first body deposited in that ground was in 1816.  A few years later the ground adjoining the present Hopewell Church was selected, and used until 1857, when the grounds became so crowded that the selection of another place was considered a public necessity.

Ashland Cemetery Association.

     The late Bolivar W. Kellogg, Esq., in the fall of the year 1855 circulated a paper, to which he obtained the signatures of ninety-two citizens of Ashland, agreeing "to purchase ground suitable for family burial lots, at a price not to exceed ten dollars per lot; provided an association be properly organized under the law providing for the organization of Cemetery Associations."  In 1856, the Ashland Cemetery Association was organized, and the arrangement was made with Lorin Andrews, administrator of the estate of his father, Alanson Andrews, deceased, for the purchase of ten acres of the grove west of town as a site for the cemetery.  The body of Mr. Kellogg was the first deposited in the new cemetery, though the lots were not surveyed and the title perfected until May, 1857.  A large number of the tenants of the Hopewell churchyard have been disinterred and deposited in the new cemetery.  The grounds embrace ten acres and a few perches.  There are seven hundred and six lots 12 by 24 feet.

OHIO NORMAL ACADEMY OF MUSIC.
pg. 245

 

ASHLAND NEWSPAPERS.
pg. 246

 

PUBLIC BUILDINGS AND INSTITUTIONS.
 249

     The church edifices in Ashland will compare favorably, in number, style of architecture, and capacity, with those of any town of equal population in the State.
     The COURT HOUSE and JAIL are also an honor to the county, and are much better edifices than the average of those found in older and more populous counties.
     The TOWN HALL BUILDING, erected in 1857, at a cost, including the lot, of $10,000, is 54 by 80 feet, three stories on Centre, and two on Main Street.  The lower floor is occupied principally as an engine house, a place for holding elections, and a prison for offenders against the ordinances of the town.  The second floors on Main Street are used as storerooms, by Messrs. Gorham & Parmely, dry goods merchants, and by E. W. Wallack, grocer, etc.  The hall itself, about 50 by 65 feet, is valued by the citizens of Ashland as the best public enterprise that has been accomplished for the town.

ASHLAND BANK

     This is an institution of discount and deposit.  It was organized in 1851, under the name and style of LUTHER, CRALL & CO. - the partners being then, as now, Hulbert Luther, Jacob Crall, James Purdy, W. S. Granger, G. H. Topping, and J. O. Jennings.  Mr. Jennings has been cashier since the organization of the bank.  The institution has been wisely and honestly conducted, and possesses the full confidence of the business community.

ASHLAND COUNTY MUTUAL FIRE INSURANCE COMPANY.

     The charter of this company was granted by a special act of the General Assembly of Ohio, passed on the th of February, 1851.  The corporators named in the law were L. J. Sprengle, Hugh Burns, G. W. Urie, J. Wasson, J. Crall, B. B. Clark, Abraham Huffman, J. Musgrave, H. Luther, P. Risser, and J. B. F. Sampsel.  L. J. Sprengle has been the secretary and active manager of the business of the company; and it is to his energy and skill that the institution ahs obtained a character throughout the State as among the most successful and reputable Mutual Companies that have been organized in Ohio.  The Board of Directors for the current year consists of T. C. Bushnell, H. Luther, Jacob Crall, Joseph Wasson, L. J. Sprengle, Wm. Osborn, Peter Risser, J. O. Jennings, and H. C. Sprengle.

ASHLAND GAS LIGHT COMPANY

     This company was organized in 1858 - John M. Stevenson, President, and Wm. Stevenson, Secretary and Treasurer.  The embarrassments of the original company compelled a sale, and in December, 1861, J. W. Smith, Esq., became sole owner of its franchise and property.  Mr. Smith has made a marked improvement in the quality of the light; and the rapid extension of gas pipes to remote and hitherto dark corners of the town is the result of his judicious management.

     In addition to the county buildings, the town contains 5 churches; 1 town hall; 1 Masonic Lodge, and 1 lodge of I. O. O. F.; 2 printing-offices; 4 hotels; 5 dry goods stores; 2 drug stores; 3 provision stores; 3 boot and shoe stores; 1 grocery, crockery, and hardware store; 1 hardware store; 1 grocery and hardware store; 2 confectionery and baking establishments; 3 groceries; 1 hat and cap store; 1 steam saw-mill and planing machine; 1 woolen manufactory and four-mill; 2 clothing stores; 4 blacksmith shops; 2 clover hulling manufactories; 1 carriage manufactory; 1 wagon manufactory; 3 tanneries; 2 saddlery shops; 4 millinery establishments; 1 jewelry shop; 1 daguerrean gallery; 2 founderies; 4 furniture establishments; 1 carding and fulling mill; 6 clergymen; 10 attorneys; 8 physicians, and 2 dentists.
 

List of the Principal and permanently established Professional and
Business Men in Ashland, in the year 1862.

Ashland Mutual Fire Insurance Company - L. J. Sprengle, Secretary.  Office, Main Street
Ashland Union - J. J. Jacobs, editor, and J. J. & F. S. Jacobs, publishers.  Office, Main Street, over J. R. Wicks's Store
Ashland Times - L. J. Sprengle, editor and proprietor.  Office, Main Street
Ashland Gas Works - J. W. Smith, proprietor.  Office Main Street
Ashland Mills - Luther, Crall & Co., proprietors.  Manufacture cotton and woolen goods, flour, etc.
Black & Moore. - Bakery, confectionery, and groceries - especially for family supplies
Cahn, J. - Dealer in dry goods and notions.  Corner of Main and Church Streets.
Clark, P. H. - Physician and surgeon.  Office at his residence, Main Street
Cowan, J. P. - Physician and surgeon, Main Street.
Davis, Hugh - Harness, saddle maker, and tanner, and dealer in hides and leather.  Main Street
Deshong & Willis - Dealers in stoves, tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, Main Street
Devor, J. P. - Attorney-at-law and justice of the peace, Main Street
Diller, J. M. - Homoepathic physician and surgeon.  Office, Main Street
Ensminger, E. M. - Ambrotype and photographic artist, Main Street
Eppler, Charles - Furniture manufacturer and dealer, Main Street
Finley, A. - Proprietor American House, Main Street
Freer, J. & R. - Dealers in hardware, cutlery, groceries, produce, etc., Main Street.
Gorham & Parmely - Dealers in dry goods, groceries, carpets, crockery, etc., No. 1, Town Hall Building.
Gray, D. B. & Co. - Livery and sale stable, adn proprietors of New London, Oberlin, Shelby, Rochester depot, Mansfield, and Wooster stage lines, Main Street.
Greenwald, Z. - Dealer in clothing, and merchant tailor, Main Street.
Hill, Geo. W. - Physician and surgeon.  Office, Main Street
Hume, C. A. - Boot and shoe manufacturer, Main Street
Jacobs, J. J. - Attorney-at-law and Pension Agent, Main Street
Johnston, Wm. T. -Attorney-at-law and Pension Agent, Main Street
Kenny, T. J. - Attorney-at-law.  Office in Court House.
Kinnaman, J. W. - Physician and surgeon, Main Street.
Knapp, H. S. - Master Commissioner in Chancery and Notary Public.  Office in Court House.
Lodge, Masonic - In Miller's Block
Lodge, I. O. O. F. - In Freer's Building
Luther, Crall & Co. - Bankers, Main Street.  Organized in 1851.  Hulbert Luther, Jacob Crall, James Purdy, W. S. Granger, G. H. Topping, and J. O. Jennings.
Mansfield, M. H. - Manufacturer "Mansfield's Clover Huller," Main Street
McNulty House - Wm. McNulty, proprietor
McCombs, J. H. - Attorney-at-law, Main Street
McDowell, J. W. - Resident dentist, corner of Main and Church Streets
McCarty, Wm. B. - Attorney-at-law, Main Street
McCauley, L. & Co. - Livery stable; rear of American House, Second Street.
Miller, J. A. J. F. - Dealer in dry goods, groceries, provisions, crockery, and notions, Main Street.
Miller House - M. Miller, proprietor, Main Street
Ohio Normal Academy of Music - Town Hall
Osborn & Curtiss - Attorneys-at-law.  Office on Church Street
Oswald, Levi - Boot and shoe maker, Main Street
Potter, W. H. H. - Agent.  Dealer in drugs, medicines, books, stationery, wall paper, etc.  Also telegraph operator and express agent, Main Street
Ralston, Wm. - Watchmaker and Jeweler, Main Street
Roller & Howard - Dealers in hardware, cutlery, etc., Main Street
Sampsel, D. S. & J. B. F. - Physicians and surgeons.  Office, Main Street
Sheets, Jos. - Physician and Surgeon, corner of Main and Church Streets.
Smith, J. W. - Attorney-at-law, Church Street.
Springle & Richards - (Successors to Ames & Leach,) carriage manufactures, Sandusky Street
Wallack, E. W. - Dealer in groceries, queensware, glassware, and woodenware, No. 2, Town Hall Buildilng.
Wasson, J. - Manufacturer and dealer in boots and shoes, Main Street
Wasson, Wm. Manufacturer and dealer in boots and shoes, Main Street
Wentworth, N. - Proprietor of daily line of hacks and Express line between Mansfield and Ashland.  Leave Ashland at 8 a.m., and Mansfield at 2 p.m.
Whiting, D. - Manufacturer of clover hulling and cleaning machines, and dealer in agricultural implements, Centre Street.
Wick, J. R. - Dealer in dry goods, groceries, and clothing, Main Street
Witwer, Myers & Co. - Dealer in provisions and groceries, Main Street

END OF CHAPTER VIII - ASHLAND TWP.

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to TABLE of CONTENTS >

CLICK HERE to Return to
ASHLAND COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights