OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
Ashland County, Ohio
B - C -
D - E -
F - G -
H - I -
J - K -
L - M
N - OP -
Q - R - S - T -
U - V -
< BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
HARVEY SACKETT and family removed from
Talmadge, Summit County, to Ruggles Township, in April, 1825.
Mr. Sackett now resides near Ashland.
Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page
SACKET was born in Warren, Connecticut, December 24, 1791.
He came to Tallmadge, Ohio, with his father in 1811. In 1812
he was drafted, and served six months in the army of the
northwest. In 1816 he returned to Connecticut and married
Thalia Eldred, and located in Tallmadge until 1825, when he
removed to Ruggles township, on lot eleven, section three.
He removed with ox teams, and owing to sparseness of settlers, and
the narrow forest paths, was eight days on the way. Mr.
Sacket died August 11, 1875. He was twice married.
His family by his first wife was: Dimmes, wife of Mr.
Sarah; Erastus and Erasmus M.; Irena, wife of
C. Curtiss. His first wife died in 1843, and in 1844 he
married Mrs. Mary Van Vranken, widow of Garrett Van
Vranken. He had one son, Justus H. Sacket, by his
second wife. Justus resides on the homestead.
Mr. Sacket was long a member of the Congregational church,
and was an excellent citizen. He was the first justice of
Ruggles. Most of the family reside in Ruggles township.
||Vermillion Twp. -
immigrated to Vermillion Township 22d March, 1819, having
purchased two hundred and twenty acres on the west line of the
township (being the farm upon which Joshua Campbell now
resides) some three years previous.
On the 7th January, 1831, Mr. Scott opened the
first stock of goods ever offered at Hayes X-Roads. The
first charge upon his day=book under that date reads thus: -
To 19½ lbs. iron @ 9 c.
. . .
. . .
. . .
. $1 74
" 3 "
tobacco @ 12½
. . .
. . .
. . .
lot of goods were placed in a log cabin which stood upon the lot
now owned by Dr. Armstrong. During the same year,
however, he erected the substantial buildings which now occupy
In July, 1832, Mr. Scott formed a
partnership with Daniel Porter, of Westmoreland County,
Pennsylvania, in the goods trade; which partnership was formed
for the term of eighteen months, each investing in cash capital
of $2500. At the close of the partnership they discovered
that they had duplicated their capital. Much of their
business, however, was dealing in stock, from which a
considerable amount of profits were derived.
As evidence of the integrity of his customers at that
time, Mr. Scott says that, during the first four years of
his business life in Hayesville, he has no recollection of
having lost a dollar by bad debts. With reference to girls
who supported themselves by weekly wages, he generally gave
credit when it was asked, and the money was always promptly paid
according to promise.
In 1840 Mr. Scott sold to Jacob Kinnaman
the "Armstrong corner," and purchased of Francis
Graham, of Ashland, the brick building upon the opposite
corner. Here he continued business until June, 1846, when
he disposed of his stock of goods to Messrs. Cox & Higbee,
and retired from the business.
In September, 1857, John and W. W. Scott resumed
business at the old stand vacated by the former in 1846, and
where they yet continue.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 290
||Mifflin Twp. (Formerly the town of
THOMAS SELBY settled in Mohican Township,
in April, 1813. Since April, 1855, he has resided in
Mifflin Township. Many incidents connected with the early
experience of Mr. Selby, in Mohican Township, would be of
much public interest; but his absence in the West, during most
of the time this work has been in preparation, ahs placed it
beyond the power of the writer to obtain his valuable
Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page
S. Z. SHARP, A. M., first president of Ashland college,
Ohio, was born in Airy Dale, Huntingdon county, State of
Pennsylvania, where his father, Solomon Sharp, also was born. He
began teaching school in the year 1855, and afterwards attended
the Pennsylvania State Normal school at Millersville, where he
graduated in i860. He became principal of Kisha-coquillas seminary
in 1861, assistant professor of languages in the Pennsylvania
State Normal school in 1866, and in 1868 took charge of New
Providence Normal school in the State of Tennessee. In 1875 he
accepted a professorship in. Maryville college, Tennessee, and in
1878 was elected president of Ashland college. His wife, Salome Z.
Sharp,, was the daughter of Shem Zook, a citizen of note and an
extensive contributor to the agricultural department at
Washington. She was born March 31, 1839, at Reedsville, Mifflin
county, Pennsylvania. The children of the above are: Annie L.,
born April 9, 1865; Theodore S., born August 15, 1869; and
Maurice, born March 17, 1874.
||Jackson Twp. -
HENRY SCHISSLER emigrated, with his
father's family, from Washington County, Pennsylvania, to Perry,
and from thence removed with his wife to Jackson Township, in
November, 1829. He settled upon the east part of the
southwest quarter of section 21 - land which he had previously
purchased of Joseph Alexander. Upon this land he
continues to reside with his family.
The first Pioneer of Jackson Township.
Mrs. Shissler, who is the daughter of the
late Noah Long, is of the opinion that John Chilcote
was the first white inhabitant of Jackson Township. He
resided upon the place recently owned by the late Jacob
Oxenrider. Her father's, she believes, was the second
family in the township. Mr. Long entered and
resided upon the quarter section now owned by Frederick
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 497
was born in New Jersey, about thirty miles below Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, Jan. 21, 1792. He learned, in his native
village, the trade of tailor, which he followed for many years.
When he had completed his trade he went to Philadelphia and
sought employment a short time, and ten, in 1811, passed over
the mountains to Steubenville, Ohio, where he remained at his
trade for about six years. Being a young man of good
habits, he soon began to accumulate money. In the meantime
he formed the acquaintance of Miss Nancy Harper, daughter
of William Harper, of Fairfax county, Virginia, who had
settled in Jefferson county, Ohio, about the year 1806.
They were married. The result of the marriage was, that
Mr. Harper and family concluded to accompany Mr. Sheets
and his wife to, an locate in Richland now Ashland county.
In the spring of 1817 these families started across the country,
through the forest, over rough roads, for their new homes.
After a fatiguing journey of several days they arrived safely at
Uniontown. Mrs. Sheets states they first put
up in a very inferior cabin that stood somewhere near the
northeast corner of what is known as Kellogg square, there being
only three or four other cabins in town, one which was that of
Mr. Montgomery and the other that of Mr. Groff,
the tanner, where the old residence of George
Swineford formerly stood. Early in the spring they
resided for a short time with Mr. Montgomery where the
hardware store of Stull & Charles now stands.
Mr. Sheets put up a house nearly opposite, known now as the
Weisenstine building, for a small store and tailor ship, and
moved into it. This was the first store. Mr.
Harper located about one mile northwest of the present site
of Hayesville, where he lived until 8132, when he was accidently
killed by his team, near Plymouth, Richland county. Mr.
Sheets continued to occupy his new home some years, engaged
at hsi trade, keeping a house of entertainment, and makig
himself useful as a citizen. He finally disposed of his
Ashland property, and purchased of Mr. Montgomery the
ninety acres of land upon said South Ashland was subsequently
laid. About the year 1847 Mr. Sheets sold his tract
of land to a corporation known as the South Ashland company, and
removed to Vermillion township. About the year 1864 he
returned to Ashland to reside on a part of is old property, and
died Mar. 6, 1866, aged seventy-four years. Mrs. Sheets
still survives, aged seventy-nine years. Her memory is
unimpaired, and very few persons of her age possess a more
accurate recollection of the pioneers and their times.
William Sheets, her oldest son, is believed to have been the
first male child born within the limits of Ashland. Mrs.
Sheets states that William was born Jan. 1, 1819.
Mr. Sheets says during the time they resided in
the village it was a very lively place, especially on public
days and Saturday evenings. She states it was not uncommon
in those days to see five or six fights in an evening. The
strong armed pugilist who could "tan two or three dog skins,"
claimed high honors. On one occasion, Mrs. Sheets
states, the clans had gathered for a little settlement, and
prior to opening the ball, visited the distilleries to fit and
prepare them for the task. In their absence, just as dark,
Mrs. Sheets, butcher knife in hand, visited all the
hitching posts, and cut the horses loose. She says that in
fifteen or twenty minutes the village was cleared of roughs.
She died it in a little rough," but a work of
(Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio with Illustrations and
Biographical Sketches, by George William Hill, M.D. - Published
by Williams Bros. 1880. - Page 204)
||Mohican Twp. -
JOHN SHINABARGER emigrated
from Virginia, in 1802, to Pennsylvania, from thence to Mt.
Vernon, Ohio, in 1805, and in 1810 from the last-named place to
Mohican Township, and entered the southwest quarter of section
23, in said township. This quarter he partly cleared, and
erected thereon a saw-mill, and resided upon the place until the
time of his death, which occurred January 29th, 1838, aged
seventy-four years. When he removed to Mohican Township,
his wife and seven children constituted his family, the only
survivor of whom, residing in Ashland County, is James S.
Shinbarger, of Perry Township, and to whom we are indebted
for what follows.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page
||Vermillion Twp. -
immigrated with his wife and four children to Vermillion
Township in November, 1820, and purchased the eighty acres upon
which Henry Helbert now resides. He emigrated from
Pennsylvania. Prior to his purchase of this land, he had
contracted with Mr. Hersh for the land upon which the
major portion of Hayesville now stands; but some trifling
difference in regard to details prevented the closing of the
contract, and Rev. Mr. Cox became the purchaser.
Mr. Sigler has resided the last twenty-seven
years in Lake Township.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 294
SLOCUM was born in Ashland county, August 26, 1824,
and attended school at Ashland academy until about seventeen years
of age. In 1847 he took a trip to Iowa with John Clark,
with whom he clerked six months in Iowa City, and then went to
Canton, Illinois, and joined the Canton Tea company, and crossed
the plains with T. S. Sutherland, William Sheets, John Charles,
Jacob Myers, Ambrose Drum, J. D. McCAMMON, John Andrews, and
others, and landed at Placerville, California, August 12, 1850,
where two Frenchmen were hung for stealing, and ever since it has
been known as Hangtown. He and his partner bought one
hundred and sixty acres of land where the capital of the State now
stands. The gamblers' and squatters war sprung up November
15, 1850, and he went to mining, which vocation he followed about
one year, when he located his land and followed farming and
dealing in stock. He remained at that business for about one
year, when he went to the Wocolomy river and engaged in the stock
and dry goods business until 1852, when he started for Ohio.
Prior to that time he took a small schooner and went to the mouth
of Columbia river, and took a steamer and went to Portland, where
he bought one hundred head of hogs - the first that had been
shipped down the coast of California to the Sacramento valley -
and also twelve crates of chickens for the same market, probably
the first ever brought to the State. He realized upon his
hogs a fine profit, and upon his chickens a fair profit. He
remembers that the news of their arrival created a great
excitement, and many persons desired to purchase. The
Indians prtook of the curiosity, and called to see the little
bantams, and were much amused at hearing them crow, and Captain
John laughed heartily at the performance. Mr. Slocum
sold his stock and fowls and returned to Ohio, and in the spring
of 1853 bought a lot of milch cows and work horses, and returned
by the overland route, losing only one head out of four
hundred and forty-seven. He arrived in Sacramento September
20, 1853. On his second trip the party consisted of John
Charles, Joseph Charles, Martin Gibbs, G. Daulia, John Moody, John
Goodwin, Hiland Carter, Alfred King, John Yule, William Springer,
L. G. Andrews, John Markley and Jacob Myers. Of
this number seven returned. THe others got married and
settled in the State. There were forty-seven in all, but a
great many from other parts of the State and counties.
Mr. Slocum has made three trips across the plains. His
last was for the purchase of sheep. On passing the plains he
overtook Kit Carson at Fort Laramie, with a drove of seven
thousand head of Texan sheep, small of frame, and almost destitute
of wool. Mr. Carson sold his sheep readily in
California at remunerative prices. Slocum found that
the sheep speculation would ot pay, and returned to Ohio, and now
resides in a quiet way in Ashland, trading in stock, and dealing
in real estate. His health for the past few years has been
impaired, and requries attention. April 10, 1855, he was
married to Miss Mary A. Hunter. The fruits of this
marriage were Frank F. and William A., who
reside at home.
SLOCUM was born in Rodman township, Jefferson county, New
York, August 11, 1784. In June, 1917, he came west to select
a home, and arrived in Uniontown, now Ashland, in July, after a
long and toilsome journey. After examining the country in
and about Montgomery township, he concluded to make the vicinity
of Uniontown his residence. In October he returned east for
his family. In this trip he was accompanied by George W.
Palmer, a Mr. Lucas and a Mr. Butterfield.
In the meantime, the families oaf the foregoing pioneers remained
in the vicinity of Black Rock, somewhat noted in the Indian wars
and the war of 1812, and in January, 1818, after having attempted
to make a passage up the lake, but having been driven back by the
tempestuous storms then prevailing, commenced their journey
overland, and arrived in Uniontown in March, after continuous
travel of near two months, over rugged hills, down narrow valleys,
along winding paths often crossing deep streams. Mr.
Slocum purchased of George Butler, one of the sturdy
pioneers, one hundred and six acres of land, two miles east of
Uniontown, on section sixteen, and also jointly with Alanson
Andrews, and George W. Palmer, who accompanied him with
his family, three acres on Montgomery's run, in Uniontown, and
erected a distillery, an institution prior to that time unknown in
Uniontown. His family resided in a cabin on the farm, to
which Mr. Slocum returned from his daily toils at the
village of Uniontown. At that time there was not a physician
in the present limits of Ashland county; and school-houses were
equally rare. "Old Hopewell," Presbyterian, one mile west of
the village, was the only church in this region. Log cabins
were the order of the day, and Mr. Slocum, like other
pioneers, often spent the whole week at cabin-raisings, and log-rollings,
traveling several miles from home to do so. All were anxious
to increase the number of settlers, and grat exertions were made
to aid in raising cabins and preparing lands for culture.
When Mr. Slocum settled on section sixteen wild animals,
such as deer, bear and wolves, were quite numerous, while the
latter proved quite destructive to sheep and hogs. Wild
turkeys were also very plenty, and an expert hunter could easily
procure an abundance of wild meat.
Mr. Slocum, at a later period, purchased a lot and
house where the town hall now stands, and removed into it, and
kept hotel a number of years. He accumulated property quite
rapidly, and was very shrewd in money matters. At an early
day he became quite expert in legal disputes, and was the
principal attorney in this region, although never regularly
admitted to the bar. Many anecdotes evincing unusual
sharpness in practice, are related of him. At an early day
he had a suit before 'Squire Solomon Sherradden, who
resided where James Newman now lives. It was for the
price of a certain "crow-bar," which had disappeared from a quarry
two and a half miles east of Ashland, and was in possession of a
certain citizen. The ownership was in dispute, and the
question of identity was to be raised by the defendant. On
the morning of the trial Mr. Slocum visited the residence
of the justice, and finding him absent, obtained permission from
Mrs. Sherradden, who was at a spring a short distance from the
cabin engaged in washing, to go to the house and examine the bar,
as he was the attorney for the defendant. Having done so, he
replaced it beneath the bed where he found it, and returned at the
hour of trial. He was confronted by the late Silas
Robbins, jr., as attorney for the plaintiff. The trial
proceeded regularly until proof was made that the bar in question
was new, unmarked, and of the usual style. After
cross-questioning the witnesses sharply, to avoid equivocation,
Mr. Slocum requested the production of the bar in court.
It was drawn from under the bed, and upon examination was found,
not to be smooth and unmarked; but on the contrary, was deeply
indented. Mr. Slocum demanded judgment
for the defendant, and the court readily granted it, to the great
chagrin of Mr. Robbins and the plaintiff. The facts
were, that on the examination in the morning, Mr. Slocum
had taken the bar to the shop of Mr. Sherradden, who was a
blacksmith, and made the indentations that defeated the claimant.
These tricks, then perfectly allowable among country attorneys,
constituted a large proportion of the strategy of litigation.
The relation of these incidents of practice furnished a
good deal of amusement to those outside the quarrel. He
often met Mr. Sterling G. Bushnell, of Hayesville, as a
country, practitioner in legal contests in justices courts.
Mr. Bushell had the reputation of being decidedly sharp - was
fluent, extremely sarcastic, and untiring in his efforts in behalf
of his clients.
Before the establishment of the county of Ashland,
Mr. Slocum often conducted appeals in the courts at Mansfield
with considerable ability and success. In person, he was
commanding in appearance, was about six feet in height, hair light
brown, eyes a bluish gray and very expressive. In
disposition he was kind and rather disposed to conciliate; but
when aroused, exceedingly sarcastic and unyielding. As a
business man he was very shrewd, insinuating, and successful.
He was a good judge of values, and was not easily overreached in
his purchases and exchanges. He arrived in Montgomery when
it was sparsely settled, and lived to see it the most populous and
thrifty township in the county. He passed through all the
struggles from a poor and humble pioneer to that of thrift and
wealth, and at the advanced age of seventy-eight years, April 17,
1862, deceased age of seventy-eight years, April 17, 1862,
deceased at his residence in Ashland, and his remains now rest
amid the tombs of his pioneer neighbors, who passed away before
He was twice married, having lost the wife of his youth
in 1829. He had no children by his second wife. His
family consists of Sarah, married to John Lafferty,
of Stark county, Illinois; Mary, married to Joseph
Palmer, of Galesburgh, Illinois; Elizabeth, married to
Daniel Carter, of Ashland; Lyman, deceased;
Wealthy, married to the late David Bryte, of Ashland;
Ephraim, who resides on the old homestead, near Ashland;
Willard, an attorney, who resides in Ashland; Mahala,
married to Johnson Carson, of Galesburgh, Illinois; Eli,
of Ashland; Alfred, near Ashland; and Cordelia,
deceased. His descendants are all thrifty, intelligent, and
DR. WILLARD SLOCUM arrived in 1833 from the
State of New York, and succeeded to the practice of Dr.
Davidson. He was a man of strong points, and soon
made an impression, financially and professionally. He had
considerable reputation, and is said to have been a bold operator.
He closed his practice, and emigrated to Michigan, in the spring
of 1846, where he deceased, after a residence of some two or three
years. He was a relative of the late
WILLARD SLOCUM was born near Ashland, then in Richland
county, State of Ohio, April 8, 1820. He remained on a farm with
his parents until the death of his mother, which occurred in
January, 1828, when he went to live with a married sister, Mrs.
Palmer, with whom he lived, going to school and assisting
Mr. Palmer in fanning pursuits.
After he left his sister he spent
part of his time at home, and a part working for other persons, up
to the spring of 1833, when he was taken by Dr. Willard
Slocum, with whom he lived until the spring of 1838, going
to school winter seasons, and working during the summer months. In
the spring of 1838 he was sent by his father
to Kenyon college. He remained there up to the spring of 1840,
when he was called home. In the winter and spring of 1845 he
taught school in the district where he had been raised.
He took a very active part in the presidential campaign
of 1840, though not a voter. He was active and firmly fixed in the
principles of the Whig party, and devoted the summer and fall to
its interests. In the spring of 1841 he entered the law office of
the late Judge Sherman, as a law student, in company
with his brother John, now Secretary of the Treasury. Passing the
routine duties of a law student for three years, he was regularly
admitted to the bar of Richland county. At the time of his
examination and admission there was a class of seventeen, among
whom were Samuel J. Kirkwood, now United States Senator
from Iowa, and John Sherman, now Secretary of the Treasury. In the
fall of 1844 General Slocum returned to Ashland and
commenced the practice of law, with C. T. and J.
Sherman as his partners. The partnership
continued up to the fall of 1847, when it was dissolved by mutual
consent. The most kindly feeling existed in the Sherman and
Slocum families at that time, and which has never been
disturbed in any particular.
In the fall of 1847 General Slocum
associated himself with the late Judge William
Osborn. They continued the practice of law up to January,
1855. General Slocum was married on the tenth day of
November, 1847, to Caroline A. Carr, of East Union, Wayne
county, Ohio, and is now the father of seven children living and
two dead. Among the living are: R. V. Slocum, C. W.
Slocum, Lida S. Slocum, Willard McK. Slocum, Martin B.
Slocum, Oliver J. Slocum, and Howard E. Slocum, but one
of whom is married. In January, 1855, he continued in his
profession, doing a very lucrative business, principally in the
line of collecting for eastern houses.
In June, i860, he attended the Republican National
convention, which met in the city of Chicago, and nominated
Abraham Lincoln. Though sent there under instructions
to support Governor S. P. Chase, of Ohio, which he did up
to the third ballot, he was among the first of the Ohio delegation
to drop Chase and vote for Abraham Lincoln.
After the nomination was made he
was chosen by the Fourteenth congressional district to represent
it in the Electoral college, the Republicans being successful in
the election, he met with the Electoral college in Columbus, and
cast the vote of the Fourteenth district for Lincoln and
Hamlin for President and Vice-President of the United States.
Prior to the inauguration of President Lincoln, the
country was thrown into intense excitement by the secession of
many of the States of the Union, in which every Union loving man
could not refrain his utter abhorrence of the political condition
of affairs, which soon culminated in open rebellion against the
United States government.
When President Lincoln called for
seventy-five thousand men to suppress the rebellion, General
Slocum was among the first to encourage enlistments.
In the year 1861 the President called for three
hundred thousand more men, for three years' service. The
proclamation was received on Thursday. General Slocum,
though doing a lucrative business and having no one to take care
of it, transferred it to his late partner, William V. Sloan,
and converted his law office into a recruiting station. On Tuesday
he left Ashland with one hundred men, among whom were many of its
best citizens. Arriving at Columbus the same day, they were
escorted to the basement of the State house, where they remained
until the next morning. They were provided with a very fine
article of straw for a bed, and ate their first army meal. The
next morning he marched his men to Camp Chase, four miles west of
the city, and reported to Colonel Rosecrans, who was
then organizing the Twenty-third Ohio volunteer infantry.
General Slocum here received his first military title,
by being unanimously elected captain of company G. On June 7th the
first man was recruited, and on the eleventh of the same month the
company was mustered into service, being the first company
recruited in the State of Ohio for three years' service, and the
first mustered into the service of the United States. Soon after
the complete organization of the company, Colonel
Rosecrans was promoted to brigadier general, and Colonel
Scammon, of Cincinnati, appointed in his place. Soon after
Colonel Scammon assumed command, a serious
difficulty arose between the colonel and Captain Slocum,
growing our of a proposed change of orderly sergeant in company G.
The order of the colonel was disobeyed in every particular.
Captain Slocum was informed by Major R. B. Hayes
that the colonel had prepared charges against him, and was about
to convene a court-martial for the purpose of dismissing him from
the service for disobedience.
To escape being dismissed from the army by order of a
court-martial, he acted upon the advice of Major Hayes
and Lieutenant Colonel Stanley Matthews,
and resigned, thus freeing himself from the power of the colonel.
The order of Colonel Scammon was never enforced,
fearing the demoralizing effect it would have, not only on company
G, but on the entire regiment. Here terminated Captain
Slocum's connection with the men he had recruited and with the
Twenty-third regiment, which to him was a subject matter of great
regret. Having disposed of his law business, and being intent on
giving his time and service to the Government until the close of
the war, his dismissal from the army would forever preclude him
from again entering the military service as an officer. Leaving
Camp Chase on the third of July, 1862, he went immediately to
Washington city and called on the President, to whom he made known
all the circumstances connected with the trouble with Colonel
Scammon, at the same time requesting an appointment in the
military service. The President took the latter under
consideration, and, after consulting Hon. Salmon P. Chase, who was
then Secretary of the Treasury, and Hon. John Sherman, then a
member of Congress, he offered him a captain's commission as
quartermaster in the United States army. In , the meantime he had,
through the personal influence of Mr. Sherman,
received an appointment in the interior department, which he held
up to November 24, 1862, when he again called on the President and
declined his generous offer, preferring active field service to
that of quartermaster in the army, and again requested some
appointment that would place him in the field. The President
replied by saying, "that all appointments below the rank of
brigadiers in the volunteer service were made by the governors of
States," and referred him to Governor Dennison, of
Ohio. Calling on Governor Dennison, and presenting
the letter of President Lincoln, he at once
expressed a willingness to appoint him provost marshal, and assign
him to duty in the city of Columbus.
As soon as David Tod was inaugurated
governor of Ohio he applied to him for a commission which would
send him to the front. With a fair promise from Governor
Tod to do so he returned home, awaiting the results. In April,
1862, he was called home from Columbus to attend the funeral of
his father. Being detained for some time attending to business
pertaining to the estate, he did not return to Columbus until sent
for by Governor Tod. On arriving in Columbus the
governor handed him a commission of first lieutenant, and detailed
him as adjutant to organize the drafted men in Camp Buckingham,
near Mansfield, Ohio, where he reported to Colonel C. G.
Sherman, then in command of the camp, for duty. He at once
entered upon that laborious work. The One Hundred and Second and
One Hundred and Twentieth Ohio volunteer infantry regiments were
then organized. The drafted men were mostly assigned to the older
regiments and sent to the front. On the organization of the One
Hundred and Twentieth he was again commissioned as adjutant, and
assigned to that : regiment, with which he left the State and went
to the front, leaving Camp Buckingham in October, 1862, with
Colonel French in command, and M. M. Speigle
lieutenant colonel, and John Buckman as major. The
regiment joined the main army at Memphis, Tennessee, and was
assigned to the Thirteenth army corps. With the exception of
Colonel French and Lieutenant Colonel
Speigle, the regiment had never seen service. They
participated in the assault on Vicksburgh from the Yazoo river.
After laying in the swamps around Haines' bluff four days,
participating in all the charges and battles of the campaign, he
was ordered to take the regiment out to the front line and lay on
their arms for the night. At two P. M. he received an order to
retire the regiment and cover the retreat of the army to the Yazoo
river, a distance of four miles. On returning back to their
original lines he was surprised to find the entire army had left,
leaving the One Hundred and Twentieth Ohio volunteer infantry to
cover the retreat and guard four batteries of artillery. On
arriving at the Yazoo he found the commanding officers of the
regiment safely on transports, ready to follow the army back to
the Mississippi river.
Before the regiment reached the river the picket of the
army had crossed the bayou in force, and was following the
retreating army. Soon after sunrise they approached near enough to
commence firing. The First division of the Thirteenth corps were
on transports in the Yazoo, and mainly out of sight of the
advancing enemy. General Slocum hurried forward and
informed General Osterhaus of the danger surrounding
him. The artillery was hurried forward and put into position, and
several batteries taken from the transports were put in enfilading
position masked by the One Hundred and Twentieth, and held their
position until the enemy advanced near enough, when the regiment
filed to the rear of the guns, when they opened on the advancing
enemy with grape, canister, solid shot, and shell. They were
driven back with severe loss. Colonel French assumed
command and marched the regiment on to the transport destined for
On the fifth of January, 1863, the
entire army under General Grant, moved on transports
against Arkansas Post, and, on the tenth of January, the fleet
disembarked. On the following night they completely invested the
entire fortification, behind which the enemy had about five
thousand men. The attack was commenced on the morning of the
eleventh, and was stubbornly resisted by the enemy. At four
o'clock in the afternoon a charge was ordered on the left. The One
Hundred and Twentieth occupying the extreme left, charged up the
river bank directly upon the fort. As soon as the charge began the
enemy opened fire on the advancing column. When within fifty yards
of the fort Colonel French ordered
the regiment to lie down. Adjutant Slocum
being on the extreme left of the advancing column, did not hear
the order of the colonel and pushed the left forward until he saw
the right wing of the regiment flat on the ground. The colonel
again commanded "Lie down!" I venture to say that no child ever
embraced a parent with more affection than the officers and men of
the One Hundred and Twentieth embraced mother earth on that
occasion—one soldier (weighing at least two hundred pounds),
literally flattened himself, with his head protected by a mullen
stalk not more than one inch in diameter. While in this position
the bullets of the enemy passed from three to four feet above
them, and as long as they remained there
were comparatively secure, as the sharpshooters on the right kept
the enemy down, so that they dare not compress their guns to fire
into the regiment.
Colonel French ordered Adjutant Slocum
to go to the rear, and ask General Osterhaus to
relieve the One Hundred and Twentieth. The adjutant replied by
saying if he went back he would get shot in the rear, and that the
regiment was safe in their present position, and if they got up to
retire, every man of them would be shot. The order was made
imperative, so the adjutant crossed back along the line of the
men, for some distance, when the cry went up "see the adjutant
craw-fishing." Finally he sprang to his feet, and in a zig-zag
course reached General Osterhaus, who expressed
surprise in seeing him deserting the regiment, and inquired into
the cause of it. Instead of communicating the request of
Colonel French to General Osterhaus, he
informed the general that the rebel sharp-shooters were in the two
wooden buildings inside the fort, shooting through the crevises,
picking off our officers, and if he would order up two sections of
artillery, and knock the buildings down, it would be the means of
saving the lives of many of our officers and men. Four
twenty-pound rifled guns were advanced and opened fire on the
buildings, after a few shots the houses were knocked into
splinters, and fell. Very soon thereafter the fort surrendered
with five thousand prisoners.
At ten P. M. of the same day
Adjutant Slocum received an order from army
headquarters to report in person forthwith on board the transport
Illinois. After reading the order, the Camp Chase difficulty
flashed through his mind. He said to himself: " Here is another
case of disobedience to the orders of a superior officer." Fearing
to take counsel, lest he might commit himself, he started in
company with the orderly for headquarters. On arriving on board he
saw General Sherman with all the corps commanders
sitting around a table. He advanced to General Sherman,
laid down the order, and reported in person. After a number of
questions were answered touching the matter, he was told to report
back to his command. He heard no more of the matter until the
eighteenth day of March, 1863, when he was informed that he had
been promoted to major of the regiment for meritorious conduct in
the field at Arkansas Post, jumping ten captains in one promotion,
Colonel French resigning the same day.
On the eighth day of September, 1863, he was promoted to
lieutenant colonel of the regiment. After the surrender of Fort
Hindman and Arkansas Post the army returned to Young's Point, in
front of Vicksburgh. Here Colonel Slocum was put in
charge of digging out one section of the famous canal, to lead the
waters of the Mississippi across the country in order that the
transports might more safely pass the water batteries defending
the city of Vicksburgh, a work that was never accomplished nor
never intended to be. In March, 1863, the army of the Mississippi
crossed the river below Vicksburgh on transports that had run the
blockade. Colonel Slocum participated in all the
battles in the rear of Vicksburgh—battle of Raymond,
Thompson's Hill, Jackson, Champion Hill and Big Black. He led
the right wing of his regiment in the charge on Vicksburgh on the
eighteenth day of May; again on the twenty-second of May. On the
seventh of June, 1863, he received an order of detail from corps
headquarters, assigning him to duty as inspector general of the
Thirteenth army corps, from which duty he was not relieved until
after the surrender of Vicksburgh on the fourth of July, 1863. On
the morning of the fourth he was left in command, of three
divisions of the Thirteenth corps at Big Black river, twelve miles
in the rear of Vicksburgh, the superior officers all having gone
down to witness the surrender.
At one P. M. of the same day, an order was sent out .
by General Grant to move all the forces at Big Black
river upon Jackson. The order was received by Colonel
Slocum, and at once put into execution by calling the forces
into line. By four p. M. the entire command had crossed the river,
while the advance was four miles on in the direction of Jackson.
At five P. M. the advance column was attacked by General
Breckenridge's command, which was retreating to Jackson,
Mississippi. The engagement lasted but a short time, when the
advancing column bivouacked for the night, the absent officers
rejoining their respective commands before morning. On the sixth
of July, Colonel Slocum's regiment led the advance
of the Thirteenth on Jackson, and formed the base line, directly
in front of the enemy's breastworks, and here he was engaged from
the tenth to the seventeenth of July, the day the rebel
authorities capitulated. Colonel Speigle there
received a very severe, but not dangerous, wound in the hip, which
disabled him until about the month of February, 1864, when he
returned and assumed command of the regiment. After the siege of
Jackson, Colonel Slocum returned to Vicksburgh, with
but one hundred and eight effective men in the regiment.
In August, 1863, Colonel Slocum received
an order from department headquarters, to proceed by transport to
Port Hudson, on the Mississippi river, and there to await further
orders. On the third of September, 1863, they disembarked and went
into camp at Port Hudson, for what purpose no one seemed to know.
After remaining there eight days, their rations and forage were
consumed, and no means of supply. The command consisted of the One
Hundred and Twentieth Ohio volunteer infantry and one battery of
six-pound guns. On the twelfth day of September, Colonel
Slocum ordered the battery to the bank of the river to bring
to the first transport that went down the river. On the evening of
the twelfth a transport was sighted and brought to by the battery.
The regiment and battery were taken on board and landed at
Carlton, ten miles above New Orleans. Colonel Slocum
at once reported to army headquarters in New Orleans his action in
the premises, which was approved by the commanding officer.
The regiment having been reduced to a mere skeleton by sickness
and death, Colonel Slocum was placed on detached
duty at department headquarters, as judge advocate. Soon
thereafter he was ordered to Texas to organize a court martial at
Brownsville and one at another point. While there he received an
order to report to Columbus, Ohio, on recruiting service. He took
an ocean steamer for New Orleans, arriving at Carlton, where he
was joined by the sergeants of the regiment, all of whom reached
Columbus in December, 1863. In April 1864, the colonel and his
sergeants returned with one hundred and seventy-four enlisted men,
and joined the regiment in Louisiana. He then re-organized the
regiment by assignment of officers. The winter months had been
conducive to the health of the men, and many who had been sent
home on sick furlough had returned, besides many who had been in
On the first of May, 1864, the regiment was
ordered to join General Banks' army, then operating
up Red river in Louisiana. The regiment embarked on the steamer
"City Belle," with six hundred and eighty effective men,
Colonel M. M. Speigle in command. Arriving at the mouth of Red
river in the evening, they laid over until the next morning to
await a convoy of gunboats. In early morning they steamed up the
river for some distance. Reaching Fort DeRuser, the officers of
the navy reported shallow water, and they could proceed no
further. Colonel Mudd, of the Second Illinois
veteran cavalry, Colonel Blontz, bearer of
dispatches, Colonel Bassett, and Colonel
Slocum were called in council. A majority opposed going
further without the protection of the navy, but Colonel
Speigle, a brave officer, determined otherwise, and steamed up
the river. Colonel Slocum and one hundred and fifty
men took their position on the hurricane deck, not only as a
guard, but to observe, if possible, any signs of the enemy. They
had proceeded but a short distance until a negro woman was seen
running in the direction of the transport, waving a handkerchief,
saying that the rebels were around the bend. Colonel
Speigle's attention was called to this demonstration by
Colonel Slocum. He still persisted, saying there was no
serious danger, but alas for Colonel Speigle and
many brave boys! the warning proved to be more than true.
The river was very narrow but deep, with sharp curves.
As the boat rounded Snaggy Point, a battery of their masked guns
opened a vigorous fire on the frail transport, each shot taking
effect; one killing the pilot, and one going through the
machinery, cutting the steam pipe and on through the cabin.
Scarcely had the sound of the last gun died away, until another
battery opened in front. General Majors, with a
brigade of infantry, emerged from behind a cover, and poured a
murderous fire into the side of the transport. The infantry on the
hurricane deck kept up a continuous fire, but of little effect.
Colonel Speigle was among the first killed; Colonel
Slocum hastened to the cabin, saw Colonel Speigle
with many others, lying on the cabin floor, with pools of blood
surrounding them. Colonel Slocum spoke to him; his
only reply was "I am gone this time." He raised his head up while
Colonel Mudd placed a knapsack under it. As
Colonel Mudd raised up he was shot in the left temple.
Colonels Basset and Blontz were also killed,
and died instantly. The boat was then drifting down with the
current; Colonel Slocum ordered the boat
surrendered, and put fire to the state-room containing the mail
for General Banks army. As soon as the boat was
surrendered Colonel Slocum ordered every man ashore
with his gun. The boat had neared the shore when the men began
jumping and throwing their guns. Taking advantage of the
situation, Colonel Slocum with one hundred and
fifty-five officers and men reached the shore in safety, and
sought shelter in a dense wood. Those who failed to reach the bank
were either drowned or shot in the water attempting to reach
shore. The remainder of the regiment were either killed or
captured. The steam and hot water escaping from the boilers, drove
all who were on the boiler deck into the river, many of them so
badly scalded that they afterward died. This occurred about four
P. M. Colonel Slocum called the men
into line, and marched them some distance back from the river,
where they were organized in squads, with a commissioned officer
at the head of each. On examination it was ascertained that there
were seven rounds of serviceable ammunition to each man. Both
officers and men supposed, from the dangers surrounding them, that
they would be marched down the river under the protection of the
gun-boats, but Colonel Slocum changed the direction
and marched up the river in the direction of Alexandria, where
General Banks had his headquarters.
Many were the complaints and murmurs of the men at this
sudden and unexpected change in their destination—but to no avail.
The march was a hazardous one at best, but Colonel
Slocum best understood the situation, and pushed forward
through an unbroken wilderness of pine, nothing to direct their
course but drift from Red river. At sundown a plantation was
reached. In a field some distance off a man was discovered
unhitching a team from a plow. Lieutenant Vanness
was directed to bring him in. He proved to be a negro man, and a
slave of a man named Grimes. The negro was closely examined by
Colonel Slocum as to distance, routes, and the general
topography of the country. He gave the distance to Alexandria as
twenty-eight miles, and three routes or ways of reaching the
place, one being a mule path through the timber, and three miles
shorter than either of the traveled roads. The negro was put under
charge of Lieutenant Vanness, with a promise that if
he piloted them through safely he would be rewarded, but if he led
them into the enemy's lines, on another route, he would be shot.
They then proceeded to the residence of Mr. Grimes,
who met them with a stern rebuke for appearing on his premises
with his slave in charge. Colonel Slocum placed a
guard around his house, with instructions to let none of the
inmates pass out. The men were nearly exhausted, having had
nothing to eat since an early breakfast, and it became necessary
that Mr. Grimes supply their wants. He became quite angry,
and declared that no provisions could be given the men; he made
severe threats as to what he would do if anyone attempted to enter
his house in search of provisions. Colonel Slocum
stepped on the porch and presented the old man two navy revolvers,
which brought him to submission. In a few minutes the men had
plenty of corn-meal, side pork, and sour milk, and a number of
fires lighted in the yard, cooking their supper—baking their corn
batter on boards, and frying their meat in anything they could
find that would grease. When all were supplied they formed in line
for the long, dark, and tedious march of the night. Mr.
Grimes, unaccustomed to Yankee visitors, failed to bid them
good-night. After marching through a wilderness country all night,
they reached Red river at daybreak, eight miles below Alexandria.
There was a wood station on the river and an old log house.
Colonel Slocum, with a few trusty men, approached the
house and called to the inmates to come out. The first to appear
was the owner of the premises, who appeared surprised to see
Federal soldiers in his locality. A guard was placed around his
house, and Colonel Slocum inquired of him if there
were any Confederate soldiers near. He was informed, after some
hesitation, that one mile back from the river there were two
regiments of rebel cavalry, and, looking across the river, we
could see the rebel out-posts, or their horses.
Colonel Slocum determined to cross the
river at this point, but on inquiry there were no skiffs nor boat
of any kind. A picket line was extended back some distance from
the house. A wood-rack was made into a skiff by laying boards in
the bottom; then twenty or twenty-five men would take off their
clothing, put them on the skiff, with "their guns on top, and the
men in the water started diagonally across the stream. When the
shore was reached the skiff was towed up the river and sent back.
In this way by ten A. M. the entire command crossed in safety.
Major McKinley was among the first to cross, and took
charge of the men as they arrived. Colonel Slocum,
before calling in his pickets, cautioned the old man to remain
quiet, as there was danger in his communicating with the enemy.
They then took possession of the skiff and crossed the river,
leaving the skiff to the mercy of the stream. Before the colonel
was fully dressed, two transports, loaded with infantry,
accompanied by two gunboats, were seen descending the river. The
colonel made every effort to stop them, that he might warn them of
the danger below; but they pushed onward and reached Snaggy Point,
and fell into the same trap, and all were captured. The rebel
pickets still occupied their post. Not knowing the exact force of
the enemy, the colonel determined to put on as bold a front as
possible. He prolonged his line a great distance, with battle flag
in front and regimental colors in the center, and marched upon the
levee—the river and levee bending off in the direction of the
When within a few hundred yards of the rebels' advanced line, they
mounted their horses and galloped off like so many frightened
wolves, thus, allowing the colonel, with his handful of men, to
pass through to Alexandria without firing a gun. On arriving at
Alexandria the colonel reported in person to General
Banks, who at once, ordered all necessary provision to be made
for the comfort of the men. After remaining in Alexandria a few
days the remnant was temporarily consolidated with the
Forty-second Ohio volunteer infantry, Colonel Slocum's
regiment being again reduced by death and capture to less than a
major's command. Owing to severe and permanent injuries received
by Colonel Slocum while making his escape from the
"City Belle," he was rendered unfit for field service. Before
leaving the boat he had his left shoulder strap shot off. He was
put on detached duty as chief of staff and provost marshal of the
Thirteenth army corps, General M. K. Lawler commanding.
Here practically terminated Colonel Slocum's
connection with the One Hundred and Twentieth. The regiment was
reduced by death, disease and capture to a mere skeleton, yet it
kept its distinction up to November 17, 1864, Major John
McKinley in command.
On the thirteenth day of May General Banks
commenced his memorable retreat from Alexandria to the Mississippi
at Chaneyville. The retreating columns of General Banks
were attacked in force by the enemy. Colonel Slocum, with the
Fourth brigade, took an active part in that engagement, as he did
in the battle at Willow bayou, crossing the Atchafalaya, arriving
at Morganza bend on the twenty-first of May, 1864, where the army
went into camp for reorganization.
On the twenty-fifth of May, 1864, Colonel
Slocum was appointed provost marshal of the trans-Mississippi,
with headquarters at Morganza, Louisiana. Much importance was
attached to this new duty. It involved the trade and commerce of
the river for one hundred and eighty miles front and eighty miles
back. All the products of the country, destined for market or
shipment, had to pass through his hands. This duty he continued to
perform as long as the army remained at Morganza, and the entire
country west of the Mississippi had been abandoned by rebel
The monotony of the military post at Morganza was
broken on the sixteenth day of November, 1864. Prior to this date,
General Lawler spoke of his having a birthday on the
sixteenth, and proposed to celebrate it. Mrs. Breed,
a widow lady from New Hampshire, a visiting friend, was married on
the sixteenth of November. Mrs. Slocum, the wife of
General Slocum, proposed that they all join in celebrating the
event, it being the anniversary of their marriage. Mrs. General
Reynolds wished to join in. General Lawler directed General
Slocum to take the headquarters boat and go to New Orleans,
and lay in a supply for the occasion, and extend an invitation to
a number of officers and citizens of New Orleans to join them and
partake of their hospitality. About sixty invited guests were in
attendance, many of them from New Orleans. An elegant dinner was
prepared for the occasion, and the table, spread in "the cabin of
the headquarter boat. There were old and young, citizens and
soldiers, all commingling together. After dinner they had music
and dancing, in which all engaged. The presents brought up from
New Orleans were quite profuse. The whole affair was enjoyed by
all, and by none more than the citizens present. The next day
General Slocum sent the headquarter boat to the city
with all who desired to go down.
On the tenth day of January, 1865, General
Slocum was honorably mustered out of the service, when he
returned to Ashland. The results of the war had so effectually
revolutionized the business of the country, that the practice of
law was not at all desirable. In the winter of 1865-6, he returned
to Louisiana with the view of purchasing property and making that
State his future home.
After spending some time in different localities, he
saw from the impression left on the minds of the ex-confederates,
that it was unsafe for any northern man to remove to that locality
with his family, so he returned to Ohio in the spring of 1866, and
engaged in civil pursuits.
On the thirteenth day of March, 1865, he received from
the President of the United States a brigadier general's
commission by brevet, "for meritorious service in the field." This
promotion was given him without solicitation on his part. On
the first day of March, 1867, he received a telegram from the
treasury department, wishing to know if he would accept an
appointment as assessor of internal revenue for the Fourteenth
district of Ohio. The general called a few of his Republican
friends together, and made known to them the contents of the
dispatch. Among the number was Captain S. M. Barber, a
one-legged soldier. After some consultation, he offered to decline
the offer himself, if Captain Barber would accept
it. The captain considered the matter until the next morning, when
he declined, for the reason that he was receiving, as
superintendent of the public school, an equal salary. So the
general accepted, and on the sixth of March he was confirmed by
the Senate, and his commission forwarded. He held the office up to
June 22, 1872, when the office of assessor was abolished by law.
Two years thereafter his accounts with the treasury department
were balanced, and a treasury draft for thirty-six dollars and
eighty-five cents sent him, as his due. Since 1872 he has been
actively engaged in the practice of law.
General Slocum from early manhood has taken an
active part in the politics of the country. He was identified with
the old Whig party, and commenced his political career before he
became a voter, in the campaign of 1840. Though always living in a
strong Democratic locality, he would enter each succeeding
campaign to win. He has for years represented his county in State
conventions, and been twice a delegate to Republican National
conventions. In August, 1866, the loyal Union men of the southern
States called a convention in the city of Philadelphia. To give to
their efforts and manifestation of nationality a hearty
recognition, the governors of all the northern States appointed
two delegates from each congressional district to meet their
southern brethren in convention. Hon. Martin Welker, then a
member of Congress from the Fourteenth district, and General
Slocum, were appointed by Governor Brough as
delegates to that convention, which in magnitude and grandeur was
the most imposing convention ever held in America. Up to the
present writing General Slocum is regarded as one of the
leaders of the Republican party in central Ohio.
An incident not particularly connected with this
sketch, though one of peculiar historic account, occurred under
his observation and direction. Nine days after Colonel M. M.
Speigle had been killed, the major of the Second Illinois
cavalry, and General Slocum, sought to recover the remains of
their colonels. On General Banks' retreat down Red river,
General Slocum and the major, (whose name is not
remembered) went down to Snaggy Point in search of the colonels,
and found them both buried in the same grave. General
Slocum mounted his horse and rode seven miles up the river,
where the fleet was tied up, boarded a quartermaster's boat, saw
the officer, and requested him to stop his boat at the place of
disaster, and throw off two coffins, for the purpose stated. When
the fleet moved down the river the coffins were taken ashore, the
major remaining there with his men to place the remains in the
coffins, and ship them to the mouth of the river, or to the
Atchafalaya. Some of the detail reported to General Slocum
that the quartermaster's boat was crowded into the river before
the coffin containing the remains of Colonel Speigle could
be put aboard, and consequently left it on the banks of the river.
General Slocum procured a detail of twenty men and an
ambulance, and sent them down to bring up the coffin, which they
did, under the fire of the enemy on the opposite shore. The detail
reported that they had placed the coffin in the ambulance, and it
had gone forward to join the ambulance corps. On the night of the
battle of Willow Bayou, General Slocum received the
HEADQUARTERS THIRTEENTH ARMY
NEAR SIMSPORT, LOUISIANA, May 18, 1864.
"COLONEL: I have
the honor to request that you will make arrangement with some
transport in the Atchafalaya to convey the body of Colonel
Speigle. It is getting so much decomposed that we
cannot carry it in an ambulance any further, or keep it in the
train. I know your anxiety to preserve it, and will
contribute all in my power toward it.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
G. B. DULLEM, Chief Clerk, COLONEL SLOCUM, One
Hundred and Twentieth Ohio volunteer infantry.
On the receipt of the
above note, General Slocum hurried forward, in advance of
the corps, and reached the Atchafalay, where he found the fleet
awaiting the army, to convey it across the stream. He at
once made arrangements with the dispatch boat to carry the
remains of Colonel Speigle to Cairo, and from there
forward them to Millersburgh, Ohio. On making inquiry at
headquarters, where the ambulance could be found containing the
remains of Colonel Speigle, he was informed by the chief
clerk that the surgeon of the department had ordered it to be
taken from the ambulance and run back in the woods. After
getting a suitable box made for the coffin, the general, with a
detail of men, went to bring in the remains, and place the same
on the transport. Finding the wagon a hundred rods or
more back from the road, in the woods, the coffin was taken from
it. It appeared unusually light, and grave suspicions were
aroused that the body had been taken from the coffin. The coffin
was opened in the presence of at least twenty men, and no corpse
had ever been in it. The inside was clean, and contained the
shavings of the undertaker. This fact was communicated to the
officers at headquarters, who appeared incredulous, and thought
they must be mistaken. To satisfy themselves, each examined the
coffin, and could see no mark or evidence that it had ever been
used. In October following,
General Slocum, for the purpose of getting the facts in
the case, went to Burwick bay, in southwest Louisiana, where the
Second Illinois cavalry were on duty, and there saw the major
who had been left in charge at Snaggy Point. He informed
Slocum that when the fleet went down the river, the
quartermaster ran his boat to the shore and threw off two
coffins, in one of which they put the remains of Colonel
Mudd, and carried on board the other coffin, which was too
small to receive the remains of Colonel Speigle,
so they placed him back in the grave, and covered him over,
leaving the empty coffin on the bank of the river, where his
remains repose to this day. The medical department at
headquarters even went so far as to say that the stench arising
from the decomposed body of
Colonel Speigle was creating sickness, and thus ordered
out of the ambulance, and sent in an open wagon back in the
woods. It has often been wondered by General Slocum
if this astute medical corps were not yet inhaling the stench
arising from the imaginary decomposed body. They certainly
labored under an extreme hallucination of mind.
SLONACKER emigrated, with his wife, from Pennsylvania to
the east half of the northeast quarter section 23, now owned and
occupied by William Burns, in Clearcreek Township, in the
spring of 1824.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 164
||Jackson Twp. -
ROBERT SMILIE emigrated from Washington
County, Pennsylvania, to Jackson Township, and purchased of
Mr. Moury the quarter section now owned by the heirs of
John Baker. His family at this time consisted of his
wife and the following-named children: John A.,
Nancy, Jane, William, George V., and Robert. On
the 29th of March, 1829, Mr. Smilie died at the age of
sixty-five years. The only surviving member of the family
now residing in Ashland County is John A. Smilie, of
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 497
||GEORGE B. SMITH
was born in Ashland, Ohio, Dec. 5, 1844. He received his
education at the Ashland union schools, and at Kenyon college,
Gamier, Ohio. He was admitted to the bar at Ashland in
1867, after reading the required time and course in the office
of his father, J. W. Smith, and soon after was taken into
his father's business as partner, which partnership still
exists. He was also admitted to the circuit court of the
United States for the Northern district of Ohio, at Cleveland,
in 1874. In 1879, he was married, at St. Louis, to Miss
Jessie Sutherland, of that city, daughter of Hon. H. W.
Sutherland, a former well known Ashland county boy. In
1878 he was elected to the office of prosecuting attorney of his
county, being elected thereto by the Democratic party, of which
he is an active working member. At the end of his first
term he was again renominated for the same position.
SMITH was born in Pennsylvania in 1796, and located in
Columbiana with his parents after the war of 1812. He moved thence
to Clearcreek township, where he resided until 1846, when he
purchased a farm and settled in Troy township. He cleared and
improved a valuable homestead. He died in 1865, aged about
sixty-nine years. His family were: John, Adam,
Samuel, Joseph, Elizabeth Biddinger,
Susan Stentz, Mary Ann Beymer, and
Caroline Barrack. The family are considerably
SMITH was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, Oct. 1, 1822.
He learned the trade of a carpenter in Stark county, In 1843-4.
In 1845 he married Rebecca Fettehoff, and in 1849 removed
to Troy township, Ashland county, and purchased a small farm.
He became a farmer-mechanic for some years, and finally
abandoned his trade to become an agriculturalist.
Mr. Smithis of German descent. His father,
Frederick Smith, came from Germany in 1821. He died
in Stark county, Ohio, in 1854, at an advanced age. His
children were: Frederick, who died in Troy
township, Ashland county, in 1864; John, of Troy;
Savilla, wife of Jacob Hipp, of Troy; Mary,
wife of Michael Auer, of Indiana; Christian and Andrew,
of DeKalb, Indiana.
The family of John consists of
Elizabeth, wife of Michael Merkel, of Michigan;
Jacob F., married to Sophrona Fast, of Huron county,
Ohio; James Smith; Hannah, wife of Oran Chapman,
of Lorain county; and Mary, William, Loretta, Pheba, Lydia,
and Emma, unmarried.
Mr. Smith is a good business
man, and noted for his strong common sense and frankness.
He has been elected trustee of Troy township five times,
although the party with which he affiliates is in the minority.
AT the spring election of 1876, he was elected a justice of the
peace. He is very active in propagating his political
ideas, though always courteous to his political opponents.
When he entered Troy township, the
primitive forest, with here and there a small clearing and a few
cabins, covered the township. It is now greatly improved.
||Vermillion Twp. -
STEPHEN SMITH immigrated to
Vermillion Township from Trumbull County, Ohio, and purchased
for his future home the northwest quarter of section 33,
Vermillion Township, now occupied by his son, James B. Smith.
His family at this time consisted of his wife, daughter
Lydia, and son James B. Mr. Smith died August
19, 1840, at the age of fifty-one years, less a few days.
With the exceptions of John Johnston and
George Shriver, who occupied adjoining quarters, among his
nearest neighbors was Linus Hayes, subsequently one of
the proprietors of Hayesville. The country was very
sparsely settled, and the little family would find their nights
made hideous by the howling of wolves, which would often
approach within a few rods of their house. Wild beasts and
reptiles abounded in the wilderness. Rattlesnakes, some of
them of immense size, were also numerous.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 294
||Jackson Twp. -
WILLIAM SMITH emigrated from Dauphin
County, Pennsylvania, to Jackson Township, in May, 1824.
His business is that of a boot and shoemaker, which he has
prosecuted since his residence in the township. He now
resides on the Perrysburg and Polk Road, about midway between
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 497
||Hanover Twp. -
GEORGE SNYDER and family removed from the
neighborhood of Wooster to Loudonville, in 1818. There
were then but three families between Loudonville and Mt. Vernon.
Mr. Snyder had been a soldier during he war of the
American Revolution. He died in 1840, at the age of
ninety-three years. Henry Snyder, of Green
Township, is the only son now residing in the county.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 381
SPRINKLE emigrated from Maryland to Jackson Township, in
April, 1828, and purchased of Michael Sugars one hundred
and ten acres in section 18 - being the same land which he
improved and made his home until the day of his death, the 6th
of March, 1849, at teh age of seventy-four years and ten months.
When Mr. Sprinkle removed to the township his family
consisted of his wife and eight children, the only one of whom
now surviving in Ashland County is William H. Sprinkle
who owns and occupies the old homestead.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 498
SEN., emigrated from Beaver County, Pennsylvania, and
removed to the northeast quarter of section 35, in October, 1823
- being te same land now owned and occupied by his son,
Thomas Sprott, Jun. At the time of his removal to this
place, his family assisted of four areas his family consisted of
four sons and four daughters, hi8s wife having died in
Pennsylvania in 1821.
Thomas Sprott, Sen., died on the 19th of March,
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 165
||Mifflin Twp. (Formerly the town of
JACOB STAMAN emigrated with his family,
from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to Mifflin Township, in
October, 1825. Of his sons, Benjamin and Jacob are
the only two who composed his family at the time he settled in
the country, who now reside in the county.
A portion of the farm upon which Benjamin Staman
now resides was owned by Martin Ruffner when the latter,
with others, was murdered by the Indians in 1812. The
stream which propels Mr. Staman's saw-mill is known as "Ruffner's
Johnny Appleseed had a nursery on teh Ruffner
quarter section, which is not enumerated among those mentioned
in the proper place. Apple trees of a gnarled appearance,
and bearing marks of age, were scattered among those of the
natural forest, and remained there until teh land was cleared
about twelve years. since.
Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page
N. STEARNS was born in Perrysville in 1827, and in 1851
married Mary J. Heath, of Loudonville.
He was a carpenter and joiner by trade, having learned
his trade of A. A. Quick. He followed that occupation
twenty-six years, when he bought a saw-mill of Henry
Feese, and has since been engaged in lumbering. During the
late war he enlisted in company C, One Hundred: and Twentieth
regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, under Colonel French.
He is a member of the Methodist; Episcopal church, and in
politics is a Republican. He is the father of five children,
Matthias H., Myron N., Robey, Emma and
L. STEARNS, son of Nathan Steams, was born in
Green township, Ashland county, Ohio, in 1821. In 1846 he enlisted
in company A, Third regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, commanded by
Captain William McLaughlin. The regiment was
commanded by Samuel R. Curtiss, in the Mexican war.
He went to Mexico, traveled as far as Matamoras, and was
discharged in consequence of disability. In 1849 he began keeping
the American house in Perrysville, Ohio, having bought out John
Shaffer, and he remained in that business twenty-two years.
In 1866 he went into the dry goods business in company with N.
P. Reed. The partnership lasted but six months, and Mr.
Stearns soon went into the same business alone, and is
still engaged in it. He is a member of the Presbyterian church. In
politics he is a Democratic prohibitionist. He has held the office
of constable, township clerk and township treasurer. In 1844 he
married Barbara N. O'Hara, who died in 1855. She had one
child, Barbara A., who died when fifteen years old.
In 1850 he married Rachel B. Huntsbury, who died in 1851.
She had one child, Myron N., who was drowned in i860, when
nine years old. In 1855 he married Margaret Butteroff,
who died in 1870. In 1871 he married Mary J. Veach,
and by her had two children, Ora V., who died in infancy,
and Mary V.
STEARNS, born in Connecticut in 1788, came to Ohio in 1817,
and settled in Green township, Ashland county, on the farm now
owned by the McKinley brothers. It was then a wilderness.
He was a shoemaker, and worked at his trade in connection with
farming. In 1810 he married Mary Morehouse, who died
in 1870. They were both members of the Baptist church. He died in
1851. In politics he was an old-line Whig. He was the father of
seven children, viz.: Lucius S., supposed to have died in
Cochactaw with cholera in 1832; Warren L., who married
Jane McCreaden, and died in the army; Charlotte M., who
married Phillman H. Phuner, and afterward married
Lawrence Omera, of Loudonville; Horace L., who
married Mary J. Veach; Norman L., deceased, who married
Rebecca Smith, and died in Indiana; Milo E., who
married Mary A. Calhoun, and lived in Tipton, Missouri.
||Hanover Twp. -
JACOB STICHLER immigrated to Hanover
Township, from Stark County, Ohio, in the fall of 1829. He
died in January, 1848, at the age of seventy years.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 384
||Vermillion Twp. -
an emigrant from Jefferson County, Ohio - his native State being
New Jersey. He was the father of Mahlon, Joseph,
William S., and Amos Strickland. Mr. Strickland
died in Seneca County, Ohio, about thirteen years ago, at the
age of eighty-six years. He served as a soldier in the war
of the American revolution.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 295
removed from Jefferson County, Ohio, to Orange Township, in
December 1820. His family then consisted of his wife and
three children - the only survivor of whom, now residing in the
county, is Isaac Stull.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 517
BRADFORD STURTEVANT and family immigrated
to Ruggles Township, in September, 1823; being the second
pioneer of the township. HE had removed to Medina County,
from Connecticut, in 1816. The lands of the township,
Mr. Sturtevant says, were monopolized by non-resident
speculators - the principal land-owners being Joseph &
Wakeman, of Fairfield County, Connecticut. Martha
E., daughter of Bradford Sturtevant, was born 17th of
May, 1825 - being the first white female child born in the
township. She is now the wife of Rev. Horace Taylor,
a missionary in Southern India.
Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page
BRADFORD STURTEVANT was born in
Litchfield county, Connecticut, March 16, 1786. January 1, 1809,
he married Sarah Carter, and removed to Richfield, now Summit
county, Ohio, in June, 1816. Here he improved a small farm, which
he sold in 1823, and purchased, in company with Daniel
Beach, one section in Ruggles township, then in Huron county.
In August, 1823, he erected a cabin, and removed with his wife and
children in September. He removed with ox teams, taking along
twelve head of cattle and twenty sheep. The following winter he
returned to Richfield and purchased a lot of stock hogs, and drove
them through the woods to Ruggles. July 4, 1824, three of the four
pioneer families of Ruggles celebrated independence at the cabin
of Mr. Sturtevant, They had a dinner, and in the
evening, for fire-works, attempted to blast a white wood tree, but
failed. In 1836 he removed to the village of Milan, Erie county,
to give his children the educational advantages of the place. In
1844 he returned to Ruggles, and deceased in May, 1871, aged about
eighty-five years. He was a man of fixed purposes, highly
conscientious in his moral ideas, and a most successful farmer. He
engaged largely in raising fine stock, and by good management
accumulated a handsome homestead. Like his New England ancestors,
he was a Puritan in his religious opinions, and possessed the
confidence and esteem of all his neighbors and acquaintances. His
children were— Carleton H.; Marcia, married to B.
Ashley, of Milan; Harriet, deceased; Sarah,
married to Dr. Gaipin, of Milan; Isaac G.,
who resides on the homestead; Martha, married to Horace
Taylor, a missionary to India; and William B. Martha
was the first female child born in the township—May 17, 1825.
Isaac G. Sturtevant, from whom we obtained the foregoing
particulars, married Adelaide Carter. Carleton H.
married Lydia Peck, and William B. married Anna
Wolcott. He also states that the first school-house was
built in 1824, half a mile west of the residence of Bradford
Sturtevant, and was taught by Miss Betsy
Sacket, sister of Harvey Sacket. The school was
supported by subscription. The scholars were of the families of
the Beaches, Sturtevants, and from Greenwich
township, adjoining Ruggles. The first church organization was in
1827. It was Congregational, and Rev. E. T. Woodruff
was the first minister. At that time the pioneers attended mill at
Cold creek, in Erie county, some forty miles away. They reached
the mill on pack-horses, by winding paths through a dense forest,
finding but few settlers on the way. Two or three years after the
arrival of Bradford Sturtevant, the little colony
was increased by the arrival of Jacob Roorbach,
Harvey Sacket, Justus Barnes, Taylor
Peck, Solomon Weston, Aldrich
Carver, Norman Carter, James Poag,
Abraham Ferris, Albert Buell, George
W. Curtiss, Reuben Fox, and others. Isaac
G. Sturtevant is a model farmer and stock-grower. He resides
about half a mile west of the corners. Adorned by tasteful
buildings, select fruit orchards, and good fences, his homestead
furnishes proof that the lessons of economy, neatness, and
business tact, enforced by the father, are carefully followed and
adhered to by the son. He is a genial and intelligent gentleman.
SULTZER was born in Green county, Pennsylvania, July 25,
1762. From the time he was ten years old, he was compelled
to handle fire-arms. From the period of his childhood,
until the close of the war of 1812-15, the border settlers of
western Pennsylvania were menaced by Indian raids. He
became very expert as a backwoodsman, and when a deer, a bear,
or any other species of game, came within range of his rifle, it
was sure to fall a victim to his unerring aim. He visited
what is now Milton township, in the fall of 1815, and located
the tract of land upon which he settled. In the spring of
1816, he brought a covered wagon and four good horses, with a
plow and other farming utensils. He slept four months in
the wagon, doing his cooking in a sort of camp hut. In the
fall, after having put up a cabin and secured his crop of corn,
he returned to Pennsylvania and brought on his wife. At
that time, the Indians were quite numerous along the Black fork,
engaged in hunting, through they were harmless. The next
spring they encamped near him and made sugar. Mr.
Sigler, who married Mr. Sultzer's
daughter, informs us that the old gentleman retained his
vision and his steadiness of aim to the last. When
he was ninety-two years old, he shot a hawk, offhand, on a very
high tree, near his residence, to convince Mr. Sigler
that his sight and aim were as accurate as in the days of his
prime. He never wore glasses. He was a cousin of the
famous Louis Wetsel, and in his boyhood often hunted with
Wetsel, who tried to teach him how to run and load his
gun. He possessed much admiration for the achievements of
his noted cousin as a border warrior and spy. He was a man
of very even temper, genial, and warm in his attachments.
Mr. Sultzer voted for Washington and the ten succeeding
presidents. In his later years, he became a member of the
denomination known as Christians. He died childless, at
his far, on the Mansfield road, in Milton township, Mar. 30,
1857, aged nearly ninety-six years. His wife died in 1843.
Mr. Sultzer had drawn a pension of ninety-six dollars per
annum, for many years prior to his death, as a compensation for
his border services in western Pennsylvania in his youth.
HE was the last of the border men in this county, and deserved
the esteem of his countrymen.
(Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio with
Illustrations and Biographical Sketches,
by George William Hill, M.D. - Published by Williams Bros. 1880. -
with his wife and two children, emigrated from Huntingdon
County, Pennsylvania, to Orange Township, and settled upon the
land which he had the previous year, 1817, entered - said land
being the northeast quarter of section 10, and the same upon
which he now resides.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 518
THOMAS SMITH SUTHERLAND was born
in Washington County, Pennsylvania, November 4, 1816, and removed
with his father's family to Richland (now Ashland) county, in
1833. He became a farmer by occupation and married Martha
Sheets, daughter of the late Joseph Sheets, one of the
pioneers of Montgomery township. Mr. Sutherland
purchased from his father's estate part of the homestead one and a
half miles south of Ashland, and more recently the balance of the
home farm, from the heirs.
He was a man of industrious and economical habits, and
noted for his integrity and strict honesty. He possessed an
excellent judgment, and was honored by being selected to fill
several township offices.
On the third day of May, 1876, Mr. Sutherland
was fatally injured while assisting in the removal of a neighbor.
Being in advance of other teams, in a small wagon, one of the
teams became alarmed at a hog who jumped up by the road side, and
commenced to run. Mr. Sutherland turned aside to
permit the team to pass, but was run into, breaking his wagon to
splinters, and in passing over him, the wheels crushed to or three
ribs. He survived until the fifth, and deceased. The
melancholy termination of his life produced a feeling of sadness
throughout the township. He left a widow and one daughter,
the wife of Mr. Jameson. A large concourse of friends
and neighbors followed him to his final resting place in the
cemetery at Ashland.
SWINEFORD was born in this township (Montgomery), this
county, Mar. 6, 1850, and this county has always been his home.
His vocation through life has been that of a salesman in
different stores, and he has been engaged in the furniture
business, as also the bed spring bottom business. He has
also paid some attention to farming, in which business he is now
engaged in. He was married Apr. 8, 1878, to Miss Libbie
Gates, who was also born in this county, Aug. 27, 1856.
They have one child, named Susie May, who was born May 3, 1880.
She is still living.
GEORGE SWINEFORD, was born in Northumberland
county, Pennsylvania, September 22, 1797, and came to Ashland
county with his parents in 1819. He married Miss Rosa
Ewing, of Mohican township, in 1820. She was a daughter
of John Ewing, one of the pioneers of that township.
Mr. Swineford was a tanner by trade, and one of the first
mechanics of Ashland. His tan-yard stood where the
agricultural works of David Whiting were built.
Mr. Swineford continued in business until about 1850, when he
removed to his farm in the country, some two miles east of
Ashland, on the Wooster road. Mr. Swineford was for
several years in feeble health, and died in 1866, aged sixty-nine
years. His family consisted of nine living children, and
three deceased, at his death. They were -
Sopharus, Anthony, Harriet, John, Lewis, Ellen, Almira, Rosa;
and the dead, Rosa, George and William.
Mrs. Swineford survived until April 15, 1878, when she
deceased, aged seventy-two years.
SWINEFORD was born in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania
March 25, 1795. His father, Peter Swineford, located
with his family in Fairfield county, Ohio, in 1807, and remained
there until 1819, when he removed to Montgomery township, then in
Richland, but now in Ashland county, and settled one mile and a
half southeast of Ashland, then Uniontown, In February,
1823, Mr. Swineford, married May, daughter of the
late Joseph Young, and having erected a cabin, commenced
tin improve his farm. He remained on the homestead until
1857, when he moved into Ashland, where he now resides.
Mr. Swineford gives the following statistics:
The first grist-mill in Montgomery
township, one mile north of Ashland, By Thomas Oram, in
spring of 1816.
First saw-mill, two miles from Ashland, in Milton
township, by Allen Lockhart.
First church, Methodist Episcopal, at Eckley's,
now Smith's mills, in Vermillion township, 1819, and Old
Hopewell, in Milton, 1817.
First dry goods store in Uniontown, Joseph Sheets,
succeeded by Francis Graham.
First blacksmith, Ludwick Cline,
on Wooster road, two miles east of Ashland.
First cabinet-maker and undertaker, the late
First carding-machine, stood where Smith's mill
now is in Vermillion township, built by andrw Newman; the
next by the late Andrew and Uriah Drenub, in Ashland.
The first tannery stood where Whitings
agricultural works now stand, built by John Croft, and
subsequently owned by the late George Swinford.
The first wagon-shop, where Barkholder's
saw-mill now stands, and was owned by Henry Wachtell.
The first blacksmith in Ashland was the late
The second cabinet-maker in Ashland, the late
family of Peter Swineford, father of John, consisted
of George, John, Anthony, Samuel and A. C. Swineford.
They are all deceased, except John and Abram C., who
reside in Ashland. Peter Swineford, sr. died January
30, 1849, aged seventy-eight years, and Samuel died January
13, 1862, aged sixty-two years. The family of John
Swineford consisted of Abraham (dead), Lib
(dead), Hannan, Mary, Nancy, and Austin. The
family of Samuel Swineford consisted of Luther, Alfred
P., James, Curtis, Sarah, Elsa, Jane and Emily.