Ashland County, Ohio


A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M
N - OP - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - XYZ


  Ruggles Twp.
HARVEY SACKETT and family removed from Talmadge, Summit County, to Ruggles Township, in April, 1825.  Mr. Sackett now resides near Ashland.
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 541)
  HARVEY SACKET was born in Warren, Connecticut, December 24, 1791.  He came to Tallmadge, Ohio, with his father in 1811.  In 1812 he was drafted, and served six months in the army of the northwest.  In 1816 he returned to Connecticut and married Thalia Eldred, and located in Tallmadge until 1825, when he removed to Ruggles township, on lot eleven, section three.  He removed with ox teams, and owing to sparseness of settlers, and the narrow forest paths, was eight days on the way.  Mr. Sacket died August 11, 1875.  He was twice married.  His family by his first wife was: Dimmes, wife of Mr. Sarah; Erastus and Erasmus M.; Irena, wife of C. Curtiss.  His first wife died in 1843, and in 1844 he married Mrs. Mary Van Vranken, widow of Garrett Van Vranken.  He had one son, Justus H. Sacket, by his second wife.  Justus resides on the homestead.  Mr. Sacket was long a member of the Congregational church, and was an excellent citizen.  He was the first justice of Ruggles.  Most of the family reside in Ruggles township.
  Vermillion Twp. -
JOHN SCOTT immigrated to Vermillion Township 22d March, 1819, having purchased two hundred and twenty acres on the west line of the township (being the farm upon which Joshua Campbell now resides) some three years previous.
     On the 7th January, 1831, Mr. Scott opened the first stock of goods ever offered at Hayes X-Roads.  The first charge upon his day=book under that date reads thus: -
          STEPHEN SMITH.                                                                    Dr.
To 19½ lbs. iron @ 9 c.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     . $1  74
"      3    "    tobacco @ 12½     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .      37½

     His first lot of goods were placed in a log cabin which stood upon the lot now owned by Dr. Armstrong.  During the same year, however, he erected the substantial buildings which now occupy the lot.
     In July, 1832, Mr. Scott  formed a partnership with Daniel Porter, of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, in the goods trade; which partnership was formed for the term of eighteen months, each investing in cash capital of $2500.  At the close of the partnership they discovered that they had duplicated their capital.  Much of their business, however, was dealing in stock, from which a considerable amount of profits were derived.
     As evidence of the integrity of his customers at that time, Mr. Scott says that, during the first four years of his business life in Hayesville, he has no recollection of having lost a dollar by bad debts.  With reference to girls who supported themselves by weekly wages, he generally gave credit when it was asked, and the money was always promptly paid according to promise.
     In 1840 Mr. Scott sold to Jacob Kinnaman the "Armstrong corner," and purchased of Francis Graham, of Ashland, the brick building upon the opposite corner.  Here he continued business until June, 1846, when he disposed of his stock of goods to Messrs. Cox & Higbee, and retired from the business.
     In September, 1857, John and W. W. Scott resumed business at the old stand vacated by the former in 1846, and where they yet continue
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 290

  Mifflin Twp. (Formerly the town of Petersburg)
THOMAS SELBY settled in Mohican Township, in April, 1813.  Since April, 1855, he has resided in Mifflin Township.  Many incidents connected with the early experience of Mr. Selby, in Mohican Township, would be of much public interest; but his absence in the West, during most of the time this work has been in preparation, ahs placed it beyond the power of the writer to obtain his valuable contribution..
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 534)
  PROFESSOR S. Z. SHARP, A. M., first president of Ashland college, Ohio, was born in Airy Dale, Huntingdon county, State of Pennsylvania, where his father, Solomon Sharp, also was born. He began teaching school in the year 1855, and afterwards attended the Pennsylvania State Normal school at Millersville, where he graduated in i860. He became principal of Kisha-coquillas seminary in 1861, assistant professor of languages in the Pennsylvania State Normal school in 1866, and in 1868 took charge of New Providence Normal school in the State of Tennessee. In 1875 he accepted a professorship in. Maryville college, Tennessee, and in 1878 was elected president of Ashland college. His wife, Salome Z. Sharp,, was the daughter of Shem Zook, a citizen of note and an extensive contributor to the agricultural department at Washington. She was born March 31, 1839, at Reedsville, Mifflin county, Pennsylvania. The children of the above are: Annie L., born April 9, 1865; Theodore S., born August 15, 1869; and Maurice, born March 17, 1874.
  Jackson Twp. -
HENRY SCHISSLER emigrated, with his father's family, from Washington County, Pennsylvania, to Perry, and from thence removed with his wife to Jackson Township, in November, 1829.  He settled upon the east part of the southwest quarter of section 21 - land which he had previously purchased of Joseph Alexander.  Upon this land he continues to reside with his family.
The first Pioneer of Jackson Township.
Mrs. Shissler, who is the daughter of the late Noah Long, is of the opinion that John Chilcote was the first white inhabitant of Jackson Township.  He resided upon the place recently owned by the late Jacob Oxenrider.  Her father's, she believes, was the second family in the township.  Mr. Long  entered and resided upon the quarter section now owned by Frederick Ritter.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 497
  JOSEPH SHEETS was born in New Jersey, about thirty miles below Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Jan. 21, 1792.  He learned, in his native village, the trade of tailor, which he followed for many years.  When he had completed his trade he went to Philadelphia and sought employment a short time, and ten, in 1811, passed over the mountains to Steubenville, Ohio, where he remained at his trade for about six years.  Being a young man of good habits, he soon began to accumulate money.  In the meantime he formed the acquaintance of Miss Nancy Harper, daughter of William Harper, of Fairfax county, Virginia, who had settled in Jefferson county, Ohio, about the year 1806.  They were married.  The result of the marriage was, that Mr. Harper and family concluded to accompany Mr. Sheets and his wife to, an locate in Richland now Ashland county.  In the spring of 1817 these families started across the country, through the forest, over rough roads, for their new homes.  After a fatiguing journey of several days they arrived safely at Uniontown.  Mrs. Sheets  states they first put up in a very inferior cabin that stood somewhere near the northeast corner of what is known as Kellogg square, there being only three or four other cabins in town, one which was that of Mr. Montgomery and the other that of Mr. Groff, the tanner, where the old residence of George Swineford formerly stood.  Early in the spring they resided for a short time with Mr. Montgomery where the hardware store of Stull & Charles now stands.  Mr. Sheets put up a house nearly opposite, known now as the Weisenstine building, for a small store and tailor ship, and moved into it.  This was the first store.  Mr. Harper located about one mile northwest of the present site of Hayesville, where he lived until 8132, when he was accidently killed by his team, near Plymouth, Richland county.  Mr. Sheets continued to occupy his new home some years, engaged at hsi trade, keeping a house of entertainment, and makig himself useful as a citizen.  He finally disposed of his Ashland property, and purchased of Mr. Montgomery the ninety acres of land upon said South Ashland was subsequently laid.  About the year 1847 Mr. Sheets sold his tract of land to a corporation known as the South Ashland company, and removed to Vermillion township.  About the year 1864 he returned to Ashland to reside on a part of is old property, and died Mar. 6, 1866, aged seventy-four years.  Mrs. Sheets still survives, aged seventy-nine years.  Her memory is unimpaired, and very few persons of her age possess a more accurate recollection of the pioneers and their times.  William Sheets, her oldest son, is believed to have been the first male child born within the limits of Ashland.  Mrs. Sheets states that William was born Jan. 1, 1819.
     Mr. Sheets says during the time they resided in the village it was a very lively place, especially on public days and Saturday evenings.  She states it was not uncommon in those days to see five or six fights in an evening.  The strong armed pugilist who could "tan two or three dog skins," claimed high honors.  On one occasion, Mrs. Sheets states, the clans had gathered for a little settlement, and prior to opening the ball, visited the distilleries to fit and prepare them for the task.  In their absence, just as dark, Mrs. Sheets, butcher knife in hand, visited all the hitching posts, and cut the horses loose.  She says that in fifteen or twenty minutes the village was cleared of roughs.  She died it in a little rough," but a work of necessity.
(Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, by George William Hill, M.D. - Published by Williams Bros. 1880. - Page 204)
  Mohican Twp. -
JOHN SHINABARGER emigrated from Virginia, in 1802, to Pennsylvania, from thence to Mt. Vernon, Ohio, in 1805, and in 1810 from the last-named place to Mohican Township, and entered the southwest quarter of section 23, in said township.  This quarter he partly cleared, and erected thereon a saw-mill, and resided upon the place until the time of his death, which occurred January 29th, 1838, aged seventy-four years.  When he removed to Mohican Township, his wife and seven children constituted his family, the only survivor of whom, residing in Ashland County, is James S. Shinbarger, of Perry Township, and to whom we are indebted for what follows.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page
  Vermillion Twp. -
MICHAEL SIGLER immigrated with his wife and four children to Vermillion Township in November, 1820, and purchased the eighty acres upon which Henry Helbert now resides.  He emigrated from Pennsylvania.  Prior to his purchase of this land, he had contracted with Mr. Hersh for the land upon which the major portion of Hayesville now stands; but some trifling difference in regard to details prevented the closing of the contract, and Rev. Mr. Cox became the purchaser.
     Mr. Sigler has resided the last twenty-seven years in Lake Township.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 294
  ELI SLOCUM was born in Ashland county, August 26, 1824, and attended school at Ashland academy until about seventeen years of age.  In 1847 he took a trip to Iowa with John Clark, with whom he clerked six months in Iowa City, and then went to Canton, Illinois, and joined the Canton Tea company, and crossed the plains with T. S. Sutherland, William Sheets, John Charles, Jacob Myers, Ambrose Drum, J. D. McCAMMON, John Andrews, and others, and landed at Placerville, California, August 12, 1850, where two Frenchmen were hung for stealing, and ever since it has been known as Hangtown.  He and his partner bought one hundred and sixty acres of land where the capital of the State now stands.  The gamblers' and squatters war sprung up November 15, 1850, and he went to mining, which vocation he followed about one year, when he located his land and followed farming and dealing in stock.  He remained at that business for about one year, when he went to the Wocolomy river and engaged in the stock and dry goods business until 1852, when he started for Ohio.  Prior to that time he took a small schooner and went to the mouth of Columbia river, and took a steamer and went to Portland, where he bought one hundred head of hogs - the first that had been shipped down the coast of California to the Sacramento valley - and also twelve crates of chickens for the same market, probably the first ever brought to the State.  He realized upon his hogs a fine profit, and upon his chickens a fair profit.  He remembers that the news of their arrival created a great excitement, and many persons desired to purchase.  The Indians prtook of the curiosity, and called to see the little bantams, and were much amused at hearing them crow, and Captain John laughed heartily at the performance.  Mr. Slocum sold his stock and fowls and returned to Ohio, and in the spring of 1853 bought a lot of milch cows and work horses, and returned by the overland route, losing only one head  out of four hundred and forty-seven.  He arrived in Sacramento September 20, 1853.  On his second trip the party consisted of John Charles, Joseph Charles, Martin Gibbs, G. Daulia, John Moody, John Goodwin, Hiland Carter, Alfred King, John Yule, William Springer, L. G. Andrews, John Markley and Jacob Myers.  Of this number seven returned.  THe others got married and settled in the State.  There were forty-seven in all, but a great many from other parts of the State and counties.  Mr. Slocum has made three trips across the plains.  His last was for the purchase of sheep.  On passing the plains he overtook Kit Carson at Fort Laramie, with a drove of seven thousand head of Texan sheep, small of frame, and almost destitute of wool.  Mr. Carson sold his sheep readily in California at remunerative prices.  Slocum found that the sheep speculation would ot pay, and returned to Ohio, and now resides in a quiet way in Ashland, trading in stock, and dealing in real estate.  His health for the past few years has been impaired, and requries attention.  April 10, 1855, he was married to Miss Mary A. Hunter.  The fruits of this marriage were Frank F.  and William A., who reside at home.
  ELIAS SLOCUM was born in Rodman township, Jefferson county, New York, August 11, 1784.  In June, 1917, he came west to select a home, and arrived in Uniontown, now Ashland, in July, after a long and toilsome journey.  After examining the country in and about Montgomery township, he concluded to make the vicinity of Uniontown his residence.  In October he returned east for his family.  In this trip he was accompanied by George W. Palmer, a Mr. Lucas and a Mr. Butterfield.  In the meantime, the families oaf the foregoing pioneers remained in the vicinity of Black Rock, somewhat noted in the Indian wars and the war of 1812, and in January, 1818, after having attempted to make a passage up the lake, but having been driven back by the tempestuous storms then prevailing, commenced their journey overland, and arrived in Uniontown in March, after continuous travel of near two months, over rugged hills, down narrow valleys, along winding paths often crossing deep streams.  Mr. Slocum purchased of George Butler, one of the sturdy pioneers, one hundred and six acres of land, two miles east of Uniontown, on section sixteen, and also jointly with Alanson Andrews, and George W. Palmer, who accompanied him with his family, three acres on Montgomery's run, in Uniontown, and erected a distillery, an institution prior to that time unknown in Uniontown.  His family resided in a cabin on the farm, to which Mr. Slocum returned from his daily toils at the village of Uniontown.  At that time there was not a physician in the present limits of Ashland county; and school-houses were equally rare.  "Old Hopewell," Presbyterian, one mile west of the village, was the only church in this region.  Log cabins were the order of the day, and Mr. Slocum, like other pioneers, often spent the whole week at cabin-raisings, and log-rollings, traveling several miles from home to do so.  All were anxious to increase the number of settlers, and grat exertions were made to aid in raising cabins and preparing lands for culture.  When Mr. Slocum settled on section sixteen wild animals, such as deer, bear and wolves, were quite numerous, while the latter proved quite destructive to sheep and hogs.  Wild turkeys were also very plenty, and an expert hunter could easily procure an abundance of wild meat.
     Mr. Slocum, at a later period, purchased a lot and house where the town hall now stands, and removed into it, and kept hotel a number of years.  He accumulated property quite rapidly, and was very shrewd in money matters.  At an early day he became quite expert in legal disputes, and was the principal attorney in this region, although never regularly admitted to the bar.  Many anecdotes evincing unusual sharpness in practice, are related of him.  At an early day he had a suit before 'Squire Solomon Sherradden, who resided where James Newman now lives.  It was for the price of a certain "crow-bar," which had disappeared from a quarry two and a half miles east of Ashland, and was in possession of a certain citizen.  The ownership was in dispute, and the question of identity was to be raised by the defendant.  On the morning of the trial Mr. Slocum visited the residence of the justice, and finding him absent, obtained permission from Mrs. Sherradden, who was at a spring a short distance from the cabin engaged in washing, to go to the house and examine the bar, as he was the attorney for the defendant.  Having done so, he replaced it beneath the bed where he found it, and returned at the hour of trial.  He was confronted by the late Silas Robbins, jr., as attorney for the plaintiff.  The trial proceeded regularly until proof was made that the bar in question was new, unmarked, and of the usual style.  After cross-questioning the witnesses sharply, to avoid equivocation, Mr. Slocum requested the production of the bar in court.  It was drawn from under the bed, and upon examination was found, not to be smooth and unmarked; but on the contrary, was deeply indented.   Mr. Slocum demanded judgment for the defendant, and the court readily granted it, to the great chagrin of Mr. Robbins and the plaintiff.  The facts were, that on the examination in the morning, Mr. Slocum had taken the bar to the shop of Mr. Sherradden, who was a blacksmith, and made the indentations that defeated the claimant.  These tricks, then perfectly allowable among country attorneys, constituted a large proportion of the strategy of litigation.
     The relation of these incidents of practice furnished a good deal of amusement to those outside the quarrel.  He often met Mr. Sterling G. Bushnell, of Hayesville, as a country, practitioner in legal contests in justices courts.  Mr. Bushell had the reputation of being decidedly sharp - was fluent, extremely sarcastic, and untiring in his efforts in behalf of his clients.
     Before the establishment of the county of Ashland, Mr. Slocum often conducted appeals in the courts at Mansfield with considerable ability and success.  In person, he was commanding in appearance, was about six feet in height, hair light brown, eyes a bluish gray and very expressive.  In disposition he was kind and rather disposed to conciliate; but when aroused, exceedingly sarcastic and unyielding.  As a business man he was very shrewd, insinuating, and successful.  He was a good judge of values, and was not easily overreached in his purchases and exchanges.  He arrived in Montgomery when it was sparsely settled, and lived to see it the most populous and thrifty township in the county.  He passed through all the struggles from a poor and humble pioneer to that of thrift and wealth, and at the advanced age of seventy-eight years, April 17, 1862, deceased age of seventy-eight years, April 17, 1862, deceased at his residence in Ashland, and his remains now rest amid the tombs of his pioneer neighbors, who passed away before him.
     He was twice married, having lost the wife of his youth in 1829.  He had no children by his second wife.  His family consists of Sarah, married to John Lafferty, of Stark county, Illinois; Mary, married to Joseph Palmer, of Galesburgh, Illinois; Elizabeth, married to Daniel Carter, of Ashland; Lyman, deceased; Wealthy, married to the late David Bryte, of Ashland; Ephraim, who resides on the old homestead, near Ashland; Willard, an attorney, who resides in Ashland; Mahala, married to Johnson Carson, of Galesburgh, Illinois; Eli, of Ashland; Alfred, near Ashland; and Cordelia, deceased.  His descendants are all thrifty, intelligent, and influential people.
  DR. WILLARD SLOCUM arrived in 1833 from the State of New York, and succeeded to the practice of Dr. Davidson.   He was a man of strong points, and soon made an impression, financially and professionally.  He had considerable reputation, and is said to have been a bold operator.  He closed his practice, and emigrated to Michigan, in the spring of 1846, where he deceased, after a residence of some two or three years.  He was a relative of the late Elias Slocum.
  GENERAL WILLARD SLOCUM was born near Ashland, then in Richland county, State of Ohio, April 8, 1820. He remained on a farm with his parents until the death of his mother, which occurred in January, 1828, when he went to live with a married sister, Mrs. Palmer, with whom he lived, going to school and assisting Mr. Palmer in fanning pursuits.
     After he left his sister he spent part of his time at home, and a part working for other persons, up to the spring of 1833, when he was taken by Dr. Willard Slocum, with whom he lived until the spring of 1838, going to school winter seasons, and working during the summer months. In the spring of 1838 he was sent by his father to Kenyon college. He remained there up to the spring of 1840, when he was called home. In the winter and spring of 1845 he taught school in the district where he had been raised.
     He took a very active part in the presidential campaign of 1840, though not a voter. He was active and firmly fixed in the principles of the Whig party, and devoted the summer and fall to its interests. In the spring of 1841 he entered the law office of the late Judge Sherman, as a law student, in company with his brother John, now Secretary of the Treasury. Passing the routine duties of a law student for three years, he was regularly admitted to the bar of Richland county. At the time of his examination and admission there was a class of seventeen, among whom were Samuel J. Kirkwood, now United States Senator from Iowa, and John Sherman, now Secretary of the Treasury. In the fall of 1844 General Slocum returned to Ashland and commenced the practice of law, with C. T. and J. Sherman as his partners. The partnership continued up to the fall of 1847, when it was dissolved by mutual consent. The most kindly feeling existed in the Sherman and Slocum families at that time, and which has never been disturbed in any particular.
     In the fall of 1847 General Slocum associated himself with the late Judge William Osborn. They continued the practice of law up to January, 1855. General Slocum was married on the tenth day of November, 1847, to Caroline A. Carr, of East Union, Wayne county, Ohio, and is now the father of seven children living and two dead. Among the living are: R. V. Slocum, C. W. Slocum, Lida S. Slocum, Willard McK. Slocum, Martin B. Slocum, Oliver J. Slocum, and Howard E. Slocum, but one of whom is married. In January, 1855, he continued in his profession, doing a very lucrative business, principally in the line of collecting for eastern houses.
     In June, i860, he attended the Republican National convention, which met in the city of Chicago, and nominated Abraham Lincoln. Though sent there under instructions to support Governor S. P. Chase, of Ohio, which he did up to the third ballot, he was among the first of the Ohio delegation to drop Chase and vote for Abraham Lincoln.
     After the nomination was made he was chosen by the Fourteenth congressional district to represent it in the Electoral college, the Republicans being successful in the election, he met with the Electoral college in Columbus, and cast the vote of the Fourteenth district for Lincoln and Hamlin for President and Vice-President of the United States. Prior to the inauguration of President Lincoln, the country was thrown into intense excitement by the secession of many of the States of the Union, in which every Union loving man could not refrain his utter abhorrence of the political condition of affairs, which soon culminated in open rebellion against the United States government.
     When President Lincoln called for seventy-five thousand men to suppress the rebellion, General Slocum was among the first to encourage enlistments.
In the year 1861 the President called for three hundred thousand more men, for three years' service. The proclamation was received on Thursday. General Slocum, though doing a lucrative business and having no one to take care of it, transferred it to his late partner, William V. Sloan, and converted his law office into a recruiting station. On Tuesday he left Ashland with one hundred men, among whom were many of its best citizens. Arriving at Columbus the same day, they were escorted to the basement of the State house, where they remained until the next morning. They were provided with a very fine article of straw for a bed, and ate their first army meal. The next morning he marched his men to Camp Chase, four miles west of the city, and reported to Colonel Rosecrans, who was then organizing the Twenty-third Ohio volunteer infantry. General Slocum here received his first military title, by being unanimously elected captain of company G. On June 7th the first man was recruited, and on the eleventh of the same month the company was mustered into service, being the first company recruited in the State of Ohio for three years' service, and the first mustered into the service of the United States. Soon after the complete organization of the company, Colonel Rosecrans was promoted to brigadier general, and Colonel Scammon, of Cincinnati, appointed in his place. Soon after Colonel Scammon assumed command, a serious difficulty arose between the colonel and Captain Slocum, growing our of a proposed change of orderly sergeant in company G. The order of the colonel was disobeyed in every particular. Captain Slocum was informed by Major R. B. Hayes that the colonel had prepared charges against him, and was about to convene a court-martial for the purpose of dismissing him from the service for disobedience.
To escape being dismissed from the army by order of a court-martial, he acted upon the advice of Major Hayes and Lieutenant Colonel Stanley Matthews, and resigned, thus freeing himself from the power of the colonel. The order of Colonel Scammon was never enforced, fearing the demoralizing effect it would have, not only on company G, but on the entire regiment. Here terminated Captain Slocum's connection with the men he had recruited and with the Twenty-third regiment, which to him was a subject matter of great regret. Having disposed of his law business, and being intent on giving his time and service to the Government until the close of the war, his dismissal from the army would forever preclude him from again entering the military service as an officer. Leaving Camp Chase on the third of July, 1862, he went immediately to Washington city and called on the President, to whom he made known all the circumstances connected with the trouble with Colonel Scammon, at the same time requesting an appointment in the  military service. The President took the latter under consideration, and, after consulting Hon. Salmon P. Chase, who was then Secretary of the Treasury, and Hon. John Sherman, then a member of Congress, he offered him a captain's commission as quartermaster in the United States army. In , the meantime he had, through the personal influence of Mr. Sherman, received an appointment in the interior department, which he held up to November 24, 1862, when he again called on the President and declined his generous offer, preferring active field service to that of quartermaster in the army, and again requested some appointment that would place him in the field. The President replied by saying, "that all appointments below the rank of brigadiers in the volunteer service were made by the governors of States," and referred him to Governor Dennison, of Ohio. Calling on Governor Dennison, and presenting the letter of President Lincoln, he at once expressed a willingness to appoint him provost marshal, and assign him to duty in the city of Columbus.
     As soon as David Tod was inaugurated governor of Ohio he applied to him for a commission which would send him to the front. With a fair promise from Governor Tod to do so he returned home, awaiting the results. In April, 1862, he was called home from Columbus to attend the funeral of his father. Being detained for some time attending to business pertaining to the estate, he did not return to Columbus until sent for by Governor Tod. On arriving in Columbus the governor handed him a commission of first lieutenant, and detailed him as adjutant to organize the drafted men in Camp Buckingham, near Mansfield, Ohio, where he reported to Colonel C. G. Sherman, then in command of the camp, for duty. He at once entered upon that laborious work. The One Hundred and Second and One Hundred and Twentieth Ohio volunteer infantry regiments were then organized. The drafted men were mostly assigned to the older regiments and sent to the front. On the organization of the One Hundred and Twentieth he was again commissioned as adjutant, and assigned to that : regiment, with which he left the State and went to the front, leaving Camp Buckingham in October, 1862, with Colonel French in command, and M. M. Speigle lieutenant colonel, and John Buckman as major. The regiment joined the main army at Memphis, Tennessee, and was assigned to the Thirteenth army corps. With the exception of Colonel French and Lieutenant Colonel Speigle, the regiment had never seen service. They participated in the assault on Vicksburgh from the Yazoo river. After laying in the swamps around Haines' bluff four days, participating in all the charges and battles of the campaign, he was ordered to take the regiment out to the front line and lay on their arms for the night. At two P. M. he received an order to retire the regiment and cover the retreat of the army to the Yazoo river, a distance of four miles. On returning back to their original lines he was surprised to find the entire army had left, leaving the One Hundred and Twentieth Ohio volunteer infantry to cover the retreat and guard four batteries of artillery. On arriving at the Yazoo he found the commanding officers of the regiment safely on transports, ready to follow the army back to the Mississippi river.
     Before the regiment reached the river the picket of the army had crossed the bayou in force, and was following the retreating army. Soon after sunrise they approached near enough to commence firing. The First division of the Thirteenth corps were on transports in the Yazoo, and mainly out of sight of the advancing enemy. General Slocum hurried forward and informed General Osterhaus of the danger surrounding him. The artillery was hurried forward and put into position, and several batteries taken from the transports were put in enfilading position masked by the One Hundred and Twentieth, and held their position until the enemy advanced near enough, when the regiment filed to the rear of the guns, when they opened on the advancing enemy with grape, canister, solid shot, and shell. They were driven back with severe loss. Colonel French assumed command and marched the regiment on to the transport destined for Arkansas Post.
     On the fifth of January, 1863, the entire army under General Grant, moved on transports against Arkansas Post, and, on the tenth of January, the fleet disembarked. On the following night they completely invested the entire fortification, behind which the enemy had about five thousand men. The attack was commenced on the morning of the eleventh, and was stubbornly resisted by the enemy. At four o'clock in the afternoon a charge was ordered on the left. The One Hundred and Twentieth occupying the extreme left, charged up the river bank directly upon the fort. As soon as the charge began the enemy opened fire on the advancing column. When within fifty yards of the fort Colonel French ordered the regiment to lie down. Adjutant Slocum being on the extreme left of the advancing column, did not hear the order of the colonel and pushed the left forward until he saw the right wing of the regiment flat on the ground. The colonel again commanded "Lie down!" I venture to say that no child ever embraced a parent with more affection than the officers and men of the One Hundred and Twentieth embraced mother earth on that occasion—one soldier (weighing at least two hundred pounds), literally flattened himself, with his head protected by a mullen stalk not more than one inch in diameter. While in this position the bullets of the enemy passed from three to four feet above them, and as long as they remained there were comparatively secure, as the sharpshooters on the right kept the enemy down, so that they dare not compress their guns to fire into the regiment.
Colonel French ordered Adjutant Slocum to go to the rear, and ask General Osterhaus to relieve the One Hundred and Twentieth. The adjutant replied by saying if he went back he would get shot in the rear, and that the regiment was safe in their present position, and if they got up to retire, every man of them would be shot. The order was made imperative, so the adjutant crossed back along the line of the men, for some distance, when the cry went up "see the adjutant craw-fishing." Finally he sprang to his feet, and in a zig-zag course reached General Osterhaus, who expressed surprise in seeing him deserting the regiment, and inquired into the cause of it. Instead of communicating the request of Colonel French to General Osterhaus, he informed the general that the rebel sharp-shooters were in the two wooden buildings inside the fort, shooting through the crevises, picking off our officers, and if he would order up two sections of artillery, and knock the buildings down, it would be the means of saving the lives of many of our officers and men. Four twenty-pound rifled guns were advanced and opened fire on the buildings, after a few shots the houses were knocked into splinters, and fell. Very soon thereafter the fort surrendered with five thousand prisoners.
     At ten P. M. of the same day Adjutant Slocum received an order from army headquarters to report in person forthwith on board the transport Illinois. After reading the order, the Camp Chase difficulty flashed through his mind. He said to himself: " Here is another case of disobedience to the orders of a superior officer." Fearing to take counsel, lest he might commit himself, he started in company with the orderly for headquarters. On arriving on board he saw General Sherman with all the corps commanders sitting around a table. He advanced to General Sherman, laid down the order, and reported in person. After a number of questions were answered touching the matter, he was told to report back to his command. He heard no more of the matter until the eighteenth day of March, 1863, when he was informed that he had been promoted to major of the regiment for meritorious conduct in the field at Arkansas Post, jumping ten captains in one promotion, Colonel French resigning the same day.
On the eighth day of September, 1863, he was promoted to lieutenant colonel of the regiment. After the surrender of Fort Hindman and Arkansas Post the army returned to Young's Point, in front of Vicksburgh. Here Colonel Slocum was put in charge of digging out one section of the famous canal, to lead the waters of the Mississippi across the country in order that the transports might more safely pass the water batteries defending the city of Vicksburgh, a work that was never accomplished nor never intended to be. In March, 1863, the army of the Mississippi crossed the river below Vicksburgh on transports that had run the blockade. Colonel Slocum participated in all the battles in the rear of Vicksburgh—battle of Raymond, Thompson's Hill, Jackson, Champion Hill and Big Black. He led the right wing of his regiment in the charge on Vicksburgh on the eighteenth day of May; again on the twenty-second of May. On the seventh of June, 1863, he received an order of detail from corps headquarters, assigning him to duty as inspector general of the Thirteenth army corps, from which duty he was not relieved until after the surrender of Vicksburgh on the fourth of July, 1863. On the morning of the fourth he was left in command, of three divisions of the Thirteenth corps at Big Black river, twelve miles in the rear of Vicksburgh, the superior officers all having gone down to witness the surrender.
     At one P. M. of the same day, an order was sent out . by General Grant to move all the forces at Big Black river upon Jackson. The order was received by Colonel Slocum, and at once put into execution by calling the forces into line. By four p. M. the entire command had crossed the river, while the advance was four miles on in the direction of Jackson. At five P. M. the advance column was attacked by General Breckenridge's command, which was retreating to Jackson, Mississippi. The engagement lasted but a short time, when the advancing column bivouacked for the night, the absent officers rejoining their respective commands before morning. On the sixth of July, Colonel Slocum's regiment led the advance of the Thirteenth on Jackson, and formed the base line, directly in front of the enemy's breastworks, and here he was engaged from the tenth to the seventeenth of July, the day the rebel authorities capitulated. Colonel Speigle there received a very severe, but not dangerous, wound in the hip, which disabled him until about the month of February, 1864, when he returned and assumed command of the regiment. After the siege of Jackson, Colonel Slocum returned to Vicksburgh, with but one hundred and eight effective men in the regiment.
     In August, 1863, Colonel Slocum received an order from department headquarters, to proceed by transport to Port Hudson, on the Mississippi river, and there to await further orders. On the third of September, 1863, they disembarked and went into camp at Port Hudson, for what purpose no one seemed to know. After remaining there eight days, their rations and forage were consumed, and no means of supply. The command consisted of the One Hundred and Twentieth Ohio volunteer infantry and one battery of six-pound guns. On the twelfth day of September, Colonel Slocum ordered the battery to the bank of the river to bring to the first transport that went down the river. On the evening of the twelfth a transport was sighted and brought to by the battery. The regiment and battery were taken on board and landed at Carlton, ten miles above New Orleans. Colonel Slocum at once reported to army headquarters in New Orleans his action in the premises, which was approved by the commanding officer.
The regiment having been reduced to a mere skeleton by sickness and death, Colonel Slocum was placed on detached duty at department headquarters, as judge advocate. Soon thereafter he was ordered to Texas to organize a court martial at Brownsville and one at another point. While there he received an order to report to Columbus, Ohio, on recruiting service. He took an ocean steamer for New Orleans, arriving at Carlton, where he was joined by the sergeants of the regiment, all of whom reached Columbus in December, 1863. In April 1864, the colonel and his sergeants returned with one hundred and seventy-four enlisted men, and joined the regiment in Louisiana. He then re-organized the regiment by assignment of officers. The winter months had been conducive to the health of the men, and many who had been sent home on sick furlough had returned, besides many who had been in hospital.
On the first of May, 1864, the regiment was ordered to join General Banks' army, then operating up Red river in Louisiana. The regiment embarked on the steamer "City Belle," with six hundred and eighty effective men, Colonel M. M. Speigle in command. Arriving at the mouth of Red river in the evening, they laid over until the next morning to await a convoy of gunboats. In early morning they steamed up the river for some distance. Reaching Fort DeRuser, the officers of the navy reported shallow water, and they could proceed no further. Colonel Mudd, of the Second Illinois veteran cavalry, Colonel Blontz, bearer of dispatches, Colonel Bassett, and Colonel Slocum were called in council. A majority opposed going further without the protection of the navy, but Colonel Speigle, a brave officer, determined otherwise, and steamed up the river. Colonel Slocum and one hundred and fifty men took their position on the hurricane deck, not only as a guard, but to observe, if possible, any signs of the enemy. They had proceeded but a short distance until a negro woman was seen running in the direction of the transport, waving a handkerchief, saying that the rebels were around the bend. Colonel Speigle's attention was called to this demonstration by Colonel Slocum. He still persisted, saying there was no serious danger, but alas for Colonel Speigle and many brave boys! the warning proved to be more than true.
     The river was very narrow but deep, with sharp curves. As the boat rounded Snaggy Point, a battery of their masked guns opened a vigorous fire on the frail transport, each shot taking effect; one killing the pilot, and one going through the machinery, cutting the steam pipe and on through the cabin. Scarcely had the sound of the last gun died away, until another battery opened in front. General Majors, with a brigade of infantry, emerged from behind a cover, and poured a murderous fire into the side of the transport. The infantry on the hurricane deck kept up a continuous fire, but of little effect. Colonel Speigle was among the first killed; Colonel Slocum hastened to the cabin, saw Colonel Speigle with many others, lying on the cabin floor, with pools of blood surrounding them. Colonel Slocum spoke to him; his only reply was "I am gone this time." He raised his head up while Colonel Mudd placed a knapsack under it. As Colonel Mudd raised up he was shot in the left temple. Colonels Basset and Blontz were also killed, and died instantly. The boat was then drifting down with the current; Colonel Slocum ordered the boat surrendered, and put fire to the state-room containing the mail for General Banks army. As soon as the boat was surrendered Colonel Slocum ordered every man ashore with his gun. The boat had neared the shore when the men began jumping and throwing their guns. Taking advantage of the situation, Colonel Slocum with one hundred and fifty-five officers and men reached the shore in safety, and sought shelter in a dense wood. Those who failed to reach the bank were either drowned or shot in the water attempting to reach shore. The remainder of the regiment were either killed or captured. The steam and hot water escaping from the boilers, drove all who were on the boiler deck into the river, many of them so badly scalded that they afterward died. This occurred about four P. M. Colonel Slocum called the men into line, and marched them some distance back from the river, where they were organized in squads, with a commissioned officer at the head of each. On examination it was ascertained that there were seven rounds of serviceable ammunition to each man. Both officers and men supposed, from the dangers surrounding them, that they would be marched down the river under the protection of the gun-boats, but Colonel Slocum changed the direction and marched up the river in the direction of Alexandria, where General Banks had his headquarters.
     Many were the complaints and murmurs of the men at this sudden and unexpected change in their destination—but to no avail. The march was a hazardous one at best, but Colonel Slocum best understood the situation, and pushed forward through an unbroken wilderness of pine, nothing to direct their course but drift from Red river. At sundown a plantation was reached. In a field some distance off a man was discovered unhitching a team from a plow. Lieutenant Vanness was directed to bring him in. He proved to be a negro man, and a slave of a man named Grimes. The negro was closely examined by Colonel Slocum as to distance, routes, and the general topography of the country. He gave the distance to Alexandria as twenty-eight miles, and three routes or ways of reaching the place, one being a mule path through the timber, and three miles shorter than either of the traveled roads. The negro was put under charge of Lieutenant Vanness, with a promise that if he piloted them through safely he would be rewarded, but if he led them into the enemy's lines, on another route, he would be shot. They then proceeded to the residence of Mr. Grimes, who met them with a stern rebuke for appearing on his premises with his slave in charge. Colonel Slocum placed a guard around his house, with instructions to let none of the inmates pass out. The men were nearly exhausted, having had nothing to eat since an early breakfast, and it became necessary that Mr. Grimes supply their wants. He became quite angry, and declared that no provisions could be given the men; he made severe threats as to what he would do if anyone attempted to enter his house in search of provisions. Colonel Slocum stepped on the porch and presented the old man two navy revolvers, which brought him to submission. In a few minutes the men had plenty of corn-meal, side pork, and sour milk, and a number of fires lighted in the yard, cooking their supper—baking their corn batter on boards, and frying their meat in anything they could find that would grease. When all were supplied they formed in line for the long, dark, and tedious march of the night. Mr. Grimes, unaccustomed to Yankee visitors, failed to bid them good-night. After marching through a wilderness country all night, they reached Red river at daybreak, eight miles below Alexandria. There was a wood station on the river and an old log house. Colonel Slocum, with a few trusty men, approached the house and called to the inmates to come out. The first to appear was the owner of the premises, who appeared surprised to see Federal soldiers in his locality. A guard was placed around his house, and Colonel Slocum inquired of him if there were any Confederate soldiers near. He was informed, after some hesitation, that one mile back from the river there were two regiments of rebel cavalry, and, looking across the river, we could see the rebel out-posts, or their horses.
     Colonel Slocum determined to cross the river at this point, but on inquiry there were no skiffs nor boat of any kind. A picket line was extended back some distance from the house. A wood-rack was made into a skiff by laying boards in the bottom; then twenty or twenty-five men would take off their clothing, put them on the skiff, with "their guns on top, and the men in the water started diagonally across the stream. When the shore was reached the skiff was towed up the river and sent back. In this way by ten A. M. the entire command crossed in safety. Major McKinley was among the first to cross, and took charge of the men as they arrived. Colonel Slocum, before calling in his pickets, cautioned the old man to remain quiet, as there was danger in his communicating with the enemy. They then took possession of the skiff and crossed the river, leaving the skiff to the mercy of the stream. Before the colonel was fully dressed, two transports, loaded with infantry, accompanied by two gunboats, were seen descending the river. The colonel made every effort to stop them, that he might warn them of the danger below; but they pushed onward and reached Snaggy Point, and fell into the same trap, and all were captured. The rebel pickets still occupied their post. Not knowing the exact force of the enemy, the colonel determined to put on as bold a front as possible. He prolonged his line a great distance, with battle flag in front and regimental colors in the center, and marched upon the levee—the river and levee bending off in the direction of the rebel post.
When within a few hundred yards of the rebels' advanced line, they mounted their horses and galloped off like so many frightened wolves, thus, allowing the colonel, with his handful of men, to pass through to Alexandria without firing a gun. On arriving at Alexandria the colonel reported in person to General Banks, who at once, ordered all necessary provision to be made for the comfort of the men. After remaining in Alexandria a few days the remnant was temporarily consolidated with the Forty-second Ohio volunteer infantry, Colonel Slocum's regiment being again reduced by death and capture to less than a major's command. Owing to severe and permanent injuries received by Colonel Slocum while making his escape from the "City Belle," he was rendered unfit for field service. Before leaving the boat he had his left shoulder strap shot off. He was put on detached duty as chief of staff and provost marshal of the Thirteenth army corps, General M. K. Lawler commanding.
     Here practically terminated Colonel Slocum's connection with the One Hundred and Twentieth. The regiment was reduced by death, disease and capture to a mere skeleton, yet it kept its distinction up to November 17, 1864, Major John McKinley in command.
     On the thirteenth day of May General Banks commenced his memorable retreat from Alexandria to the Mississippi at Chaneyville. The retreating columns of General Banks were attacked in force by the enemy. Colonel Slocum, with the Fourth brigade, took an active part in that engagement, as he did in the battle at Willow bayou, crossing the Atchafalaya, arriving at Morganza bend on the twenty-first of May, 1864, where the army went into camp for reorganization.
     On the twenty-fifth of May, 1864, Colonel Slocum was appointed provost marshal of the trans-Mississippi, with headquarters at Morganza, Louisiana. Much importance was attached to this new duty. It involved the trade and commerce of the river for one hundred and eighty miles front and eighty miles back. All the products of the country, destined for market or shipment, had to pass through his hands. This duty he continued to perform as long as the army remained at Morganza, and the entire country west of the Mississippi had been abandoned by rebel authority.
     The monotony of the military post at Morganza was broken on the sixteenth day of November, 1864. Prior to this date, General Lawler spoke of his having a birthday on the sixteenth, and proposed to celebrate it. Mrs. Breed, a widow lady from New Hampshire, a visiting friend, was married on the sixteenth of November. Mrs. Slocum, the wife of General Slocum, proposed that they all join in celebrating the event, it being the anniversary of their marriage. Mrs. General Reynolds wished to join in. General Lawler directed General Slocum to take the headquarters boat and go to New Orleans, and lay in a supply for the occasion, and extend an invitation to a number of officers and citizens of New Orleans to join them and partake of their hospitality. About sixty invited guests were in attendance, many of them from New Orleans. An elegant dinner was prepared for the occasion, and the table, spread in "the cabin of the headquarter boat. There were old and young, citizens and soldiers, all commingling together. After dinner they had music and dancing, in which all engaged. The presents brought up from New Orleans were quite profuse. The whole affair was enjoyed by all, and by none more than the citizens present. The next day General Slocum sent the headquarter boat to the city with all who desired to go down.
     On the tenth day of January, 1865, General Slocum was honorably mustered out of the service, when he returned to Ashland. The results of the war had so effectually revolutionized the business of the country, that the practice of law was not at all desirable. In the winter of 1865-6, he returned to Louisiana with the view of purchasing property and making that State his future home.
     After spending some time in different localities, he saw from the impression left on the minds of the ex-confederates, that it was unsafe for any northern man to remove to that locality with his family, so he returned to Ohio in the spring of 1866, and engaged in civil pursuits.
     On the thirteenth day of March, 1865, he received from the President of the United States a brigadier general's commission by brevet, "for meritorious service in the field." This promotion was given him without solicitation on his part.  On the first day of March, 1867, he received a telegram from the treasury department, wishing to know if he would accept an appointment as assessor of internal revenue for the Fourteenth district of Ohio. The general called a few of his Republican friends together, and made known to them the contents of the dispatch. Among the number was Captain S. M. Barber, a one-legged soldier. After some consultation, he offered to decline the offer himself, if Captain Barber would accept it. The captain considered the matter until the next morning, when he declined, for the reason that he was receiving, as superintendent of the public school, an equal salary. So the general accepted, and on the sixth of March he was confirmed by the Senate, and his commission forwarded. He held the office up to June 22, 1872, when the office of assessor was abolished by law. Two years thereafter his accounts with the treasury department were balanced, and a treasury draft for thirty-six dollars and eighty-five cents sent him, as his due. Since 1872 he has been actively engaged in the practice of law.
     General Slocum from early manhood has taken an active part in the politics of the country. He was identified with the old Whig party, and commenced his political career before he became a voter, in the campaign of 1840. Though always living in a strong Democratic locality, he would enter each succeeding campaign to win. He has for years represented his county in State conventions, and been twice a delegate to Republican National conventions. In August, 1866, the loyal Union men of the southern States called a convention in the city of Philadelphia. To give to their efforts and manifestation of nationality a hearty recognition, the governors of all the northern States appointed two delegates from each congressional district to meet their southern brethren in convention. Hon. Martin Welker, then a member of Congress from the Fourteenth district, and General Slocum, were appointed by Governor Brough as delegates to that convention, which in magnitude and grandeur was the most imposing convention ever held in America. Up to the present writing General Slocum is regarded as one of the leaders of the Republican party in central Ohio.
     An incident not particularly connected with this sketch, though one of peculiar historic account, occurred under his observation and direction. Nine days after Colonel M. M. Speigle had been killed, the major of the Second Illinois cavalry, and General Slocum, sought to recover the remains of their colonels. On General Banks' retreat down Red river, General Slocum and the major, (whose name is not remembered) went down to Snaggy Point in search of the colonels, and found them both buried in the same grave.  General Slocum mounted his horse and rode seven miles up the river, where the fleet was tied up, boarded a quartermaster's boat, saw the officer, and requested him to stop his boat at the place of disaster, and throw off two coffins, for the purpose stated. When the fleet moved down the river the coffins were taken ashore, the major remaining there with his men to place the remains in the coffins, and ship them to the mouth of the river, or to the Atchafalaya. Some of the detail reported to General Slocum that the quartermaster's boat was crowded into the river before the coffin containing the remains of Colonel Speigle could be put aboard, and consequently left it on the banks of the river. General Slocum procured a detail of twenty men and an ambulance, and sent them down to bring up the coffin, which they did, under the fire of the enemy on the opposite shore. The detail reported that they had placed the coffin in the ambulance, and it had gone forward to join the ambulance corps. On the night of the battle of Willow Bayou, General Slocum received the following note:


     "COLONEL:  I have the honor to request that you will make arrangement with some transport in the Atchafalaya to convey the body of Colonel Speigle.  It is getting so much decomposed that we cannot carry it in an ambulance any further, or keep it in the train.  I know your anxiety to preserve it, and will contribute all in my power toward it.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

G. B. DULLEM, Chief Clerk, COLONEL SLOCUM, One Hundred and Twentieth Ohio volunteer infantry.

     On the receipt of the above note, General Slocum hurried forward, in advance of the corps, and reached the Atchafalay, where he found the fleet awaiting the army, to convey it across the stream.  He at once made arrangements with the dispatch boat to carry the remains of Colonel Speigle to Cairo, and from there forward them to Millersburgh, Ohio.  On making inquiry at headquarters, where the ambulance could be found containing the remains of Colonel Speigle, he was informed by the chief clerk that the surgeon of the department had ordered it to be taken from the ambulance and run back in the woods.  After getting a suitable box made for the coffin, the general, with a detail of men, went to bring in the remains, and place the same on the transport.  Finding the wagon a hundred rods or  more back from the road, in the woods, the coffin was taken from it. It appeared unusually light, and grave suspicions were aroused that the body had been taken from the coffin. The coffin was opened in the presence of at least twenty men, and no corpse had ever been in it. The inside was clean, and contained the shavings of the undertaker. This fact was communicated to the officers at headquarters, who appeared incredulous, and thought they must be mistaken. To satisfy themselves, each examined the coffin, and could see no mark or evidence that it had ever been used. In October following, General Slocum, for the purpose of getting the facts in the case, went to Burwick bay, in southwest Louisiana, where the Second Illinois cavalry were on duty, and there saw the major who had been left in charge at Snaggy Point. He informed  General Slocum that when the fleet went down the river, the quartermaster ran his boat to the shore and threw off two coffins, in one of which they put the remains of Colonel Mudd, and carried on board the other coffin, which was too small to receive the remains of Colonel Speigle, so they placed him back in the grave, and covered him over, leaving the empty coffin on the bank of the river, where his remains repose to this day. The medical department at headquarters even went so far as to say that the stench arising from the decomposed body of Colonel Speigle was creating sickness, and thus ordered out of the ambulance, and sent in an open wagon back in the woods. It has often been wondered by General Slocum if this astute medical corps were not yet inhaling the stench arising from the imaginary decomposed body. They certainly labored under an extreme hallucination of mind.

  JARED N. SLONACKER emigrated, with his wife, from Pennsylvania to the east half of the northeast quarter section 23, now owned and occupied by William Burns, in Clearcreek Township, in the spring of 1824.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 164
  Jackson Twp. -
ROBERT SMILIE emigrated from Washington County, Pennsylvania, to Jackson Township, and purchased of Mr. Moury the quarter section now owned by the heirs of John Baker.  His family at this time consisted of his wife and the following-named children:  John A., Nancy, Jane, William, George V., and Robert.  On the 29th of March, 1829, Mr. Smilie died at the age of sixty-five years.  The only surviving member of the family now residing in Ashland County is John A. Smilie, of Perry Township.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 497
  GEORGE B. SMITH was born in Ashland, Ohio, Dec. 5, 1844.  He received his education at the Ashland union schools, and at Kenyon college, Gamier, Ohio.  He was admitted to the bar at Ashland in 1867, after reading the required time and course in the office of his father, J. W. Smith, and soon after was taken into his father's business as partner, which partnership still exists.  He was also admitted to the circuit court of the United States for the Northern district of Ohio, at Cleveland, in 1874.  In 1879, he was married, at St. Louis, to Miss Jessie Sutherland, of that city, daughter of Hon. H. W. Sutherland, a former well known Ashland county boy.  In 1878 he was elected to the office of prosecuting attorney of his county, being elected thereto by the Democratic party, of which he is an active working member.  At the end of his first term he was again renominated for the same position.
  HENRY SMITH was born in Pennsylvania in 1796, and located in Columbiana with his parents after the war of 1812. He moved thence to Clearcreek township, where he resided until 1846, when he purchased a farm and settled in Troy township. He cleared and improved a valuable homestead. He died in 1865, aged about sixty-nine years. His family were: John, Adam, Samuel, Joseph, Elizabeth Biddinger, Susan Stentz, Mary Ann Beymer, and Caroline Barrack. The family are considerably scattered.
  JOHN SMITH was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, Oct. 1, 1822.  He learned the trade of a carpenter in Stark county, In 1843-4.  In 1845 he married Rebecca Fettehoff, and in 1849 removed to Troy township, Ashland county, and purchased a small farm.  He became a farmer-mechanic for some years, and finally abandoned his trade to become an agriculturalist.
     Mr. Smithis of German descent.  His father, Frederick Smith, came from Germany in 1821.  He died in Stark county, Ohio, in 1854, at an advanced age.  His children were:  Frederick, who died in Troy township, Ashland county, in 1864; John, of Troy; Savilla, wife of Jacob Hipp, of Troy; Mary, wife of Michael Auer, of Indiana; Christian and Andrew, of DeKalb, Indiana.
     The family of John consists of  Elizabeth, wife of Michael Merkel, of Michigan; Jacob F., married to Sophrona Fast, of Huron county, Ohio; James Smith; Hannah, wife of Oran Chapman, of Lorain county; and Mary, William, Loretta, Pheba, Lydia, and Emma, unmarried.
     Mr. Smith is a good business man, and noted for his strong common sense and frankness.  He has been elected trustee of Troy township five times, although the party with which he affiliates is in the minority.  AT the spring election of 1876, he was elected a justice of the peace.  He is very active in propagating his political ideas, though always courteous to his political opponents.
     When he entered Troy township, the primitive forest, with here and there a small clearing and a few cabins, covered the township.  It is now greatly improved.
  Vermillion Twp. -
immigrated to Vermillion Township from Trumbull County, Ohio, and purchased for his future home the northwest quarter of section 33, Vermillion Township, now occupied by his son, James B. Smith.  His family at this time consisted of his wife, daughter Lydia, and son James B.  Mr. Smith died August 19, 1840, at the age of fifty-one years, less a few days.
     With the exceptions of John Johnston and George Shriver, who occupied adjoining quarters, among his nearest neighbors was Linus Hayes, subsequently one of the proprietors of Hayesville.  The country was very sparsely settled, and the little family would find their nights made hideous by the howling of wolves, which would often approach within a few rods of their house.  Wild beasts and reptiles abounded in the wilderness.  Rattlesnakes, some of them of immense size, were also numerous.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 294
  Jackson Twp. -
WILLIAM SMITH emigrated from Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, to Jackson Township, in May, 1824.  His business is that of a boot and shoemaker, which he has prosecuted since his residence in the township.  He now resides on the Perrysburg and Polk Road, about midway between those places.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 497
  Hanover Twp. -
GEORGE SNYDER and family removed from the neighborhood of Wooster to Loudonville, in 1818.  There were then but three families between Loudonville and Mt. Vernon.  Mr. Snyder had been a soldier during he war of the American Revolution.  He died in 1840, at the age of ninety-three years.  Henry Snyder, of Green Township, is the only son now residing in the county.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 381
  MICHAEL SPRINKLE emigrated from Maryland to Jackson Township, in April, 1828, and purchased of Michael Sugars one hundred and ten acres in section 18 - being the same land which he improved and made his home until the day of his death, the 6th of March, 1849, at teh age of seventy-four years and ten months.  When Mr. Sprinkle removed to the township his family consisted of his wife and eight children, the only one of whom now surviving in Ashland County is William H. Sprinkle who owns and occupies the old homestead.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 498
  THOMAS SPROTT, SEN., emigrated from Beaver County, Pennsylvania, and removed to the northeast quarter of section 35, in October, 1823 - being te same land now owned and occupied by his son, Thomas Sprott, Jun.  At the time of his removal to this place, his family assisted of four areas his family consisted of four sons and four daughters, hi8s wife having died in Pennsylvania in 1821.
     Thomas Sprott, Sen., died on the 19th of March, 1839.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 165
  Mifflin Twp. (Formerly the town of Petersburg)
JACOB STAMAN emigrated with his family, from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to Mifflin Township, in October, 1825.  Of his sons, Benjamin and Jacob are the only two who composed his family at the time he settled in the country, who now reside in the county.
     A portion of the farm upon which Benjamin Staman now resides was owned by Martin Ruffner when the latter, with others, was murdered by the Indians in 1812.  The stream which propels Mr. Staman's saw-mill is known as "Ruffner's Run."
     Johnny Appleseed had a nursery on teh Ruffner quarter section, which is not enumerated among those mentioned in the proper place.  Apple trees of a gnarled appearance, and bearing marks of age, were scattered among those of the natural forest, and remained there until teh land was cleared about twelve years. since.
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 534)
  ALONZO N. STEARNS was born in Perrysville in 1827, and in 1851 married Mary J. Heath, of Loudonville.
     He was a carpenter and joiner by trade, having learned his trade of A. A. Quick. He followed that occupation twenty-six years, when he bought a saw-mill of Henry Feese, and has since been engaged in lumbering. During the late war he enlisted in company C, One Hundred: and Twentieth regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, under Colonel French. He is a member of the Methodist; Episcopal church, and in politics is a Republican. He is the father of five children, viz.: Matthias H., Myron N., Robey, Emma and Eva.
  HORACE L. STEARNS, son of Nathan Steams, was born in Green township, Ashland county, Ohio, in 1821. In 1846 he enlisted in company A, Third regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, commanded by Captain William McLaughlin. The regiment was commanded by Samuel R. Curtiss, in the Mexican war. He went to Mexico, traveled as far as Matamoras, and was discharged in consequence of disability. In 1849 he began keeping the American house in Perrysville, Ohio, having bought out John Shaffer, and he remained in that business twenty-two years. In 1866 he went into the dry goods business in company with N. P. Reed. The partnership lasted but six months, and Mr. Stearns soon went into the same business alone, and is still engaged in it. He is a member of the Presbyterian church. In politics he is a Democratic prohibitionist. He has held the office of constable, township clerk and township treasurer. In 1844 he married Barbara N. O'Hara, who died in 1855. She had one child, Barbara A., who died when fifteen years old. In 1850 he married Rachel B. Huntsbury, who died in 1851. She had one child, Myron N., who was drowned in i860, when nine years old. In 1855 he married Margaret Butteroff, who died in 1870. In 1871 he married Mary J. Veach, and by her had two children, Ora V., who died in infancy, and Mary V.
  NATHAN STEARNS, born in Connecticut in 1788, came to Ohio in 1817, and settled in Green township, Ashland county, on the farm now owned by the McKinley brothers. It was then a wilderness. He was a shoemaker, and worked at his trade in connection with farming. In 1810 he married Mary Morehouse, who died in 1870. They were both members of the Baptist church. He died in 1851. In politics he was an old-line Whig. He was the father of seven children, viz.: Lucius S., supposed to have died in Cochactaw with cholera in 1832; Warren L., who married Jane McCreaden, and died in the army; Charlotte M., who married Phillman H. Phuner, and afterward married Lawrence Omera, of Loudonville; Horace L., who married Mary J. Veach; Norman L., deceased, who married Rebecca Smith, and died in Indiana; Milo E., who married Mary A. Calhoun, and lived in Tipton, Missouri.
  Hanover Twp. -
JACOB STICHLER immigrated to Hanover Township, from Stark County, Ohio, in the fall of 1829.  He died in January, 1848, at the age of seventy years.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 384
  Vermillion Twp. -
JOSEPH STRICKLAND, an emigrant from Jefferson County, Ohio - his native State being New Jersey.  He was the father of Mahlon, Joseph, William S., and Amos Strickland.  Mr. Strickland died in Seneca County, Ohio, about thirteen years ago, at the age of eighty-six years.  He served as a soldier in the war of the American revolution.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 295
  JOHN STULL removed from Jefferson County, Ohio, to Orange Township, in December 1820.  His family then consisted of his wife and three children - the only survivor of whom, now residing in the county, is Isaac Stull.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 517
  Ruggles Twp.
BRADFORD STURTEVANT and family immigrated to Ruggles Township, in September, 1823; being the second pioneer of the township.  HE had removed to Medina County, from Connecticut, in 1816.  The lands of the township, Mr. Sturtevant says, were monopolized by non-resident speculators - the principal land-owners being Joseph & Wakeman, of Fairfield County, Connecticut.  Martha E., daughter of Bradford Sturtevant, was born 17th of May, 1825 - being the first white female child born in the township.  She is now the wife of Rev. Horace Taylor, a missionary in Southern India.
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 541)
  BRADFORD STURTEVANT was born in Litchfield county, Connecticut, March 16, 1786. January 1, 1809, he married Sarah Carter, and removed to Richfield, now Summit county, Ohio, in June, 1816. Here he improved a small farm, which he sold in 1823, and purchased, in company with Daniel Beach, one section in Ruggles township, then in Huron county. In August, 1823, he erected a cabin, and removed with his wife and children in September. He removed with ox teams, taking along twelve head of cattle and twenty sheep. The following winter he returned to Richfield and purchased a lot of stock hogs, and drove them through the woods to Ruggles. July 4, 1824, three of the four pioneer families of Ruggles celebrated independence at the cabin of Mr. Sturtevant, They had a dinner, and in the evening, for fire-works, attempted to blast a white wood tree, but failed. In 1836 he removed to the village of Milan, Erie county, to give his children the educational advantages of the place. In 1844 he returned to Ruggles, and deceased in May, 1871, aged about eighty-five years. He was a man of fixed purposes, highly conscientious in his moral ideas, and a most successful farmer. He engaged largely in raising fine stock, and by good management accumulated a handsome homestead. Like his New England ancestors, he was a Puritan in his religious opinions, and possessed the confidence and esteem of all his neighbors and acquaintances. His children were— Carleton H.; Marcia, married to B. Ashley, of Milan; Harriet, deceased; Sarah, married to Dr. Gaipin, of Milan; Isaac G., who resides on the homestead; Martha, married to Horace Taylor, a missionary to India; and William B. Martha was the first female child born in the township—May 17, 1825. Isaac G. Sturtevant, from whom we obtained the foregoing particulars, married Adelaide Carter. Carleton H. married Lydia Peck, and William B. married Anna Wolcott. He also states that the first school-house was built in 1824, half a mile west of the residence of Bradford Sturtevant, and was taught by Miss Betsy Sacket, sister of Harvey Sacket. The school was supported by subscription. The scholars were of the families of the Beaches, Sturtevants, and from Greenwich township, adjoining Ruggles. The first church organization was in 1827. It was Congregational, and Rev. E. T. Woodruff was the first minister. At that time the pioneers attended mill at Cold creek, in Erie county, some forty miles away. They reached the mill on pack-horses, by winding paths through a dense forest, finding but few settlers on the way. Two or three years after the arrival of Bradford Sturtevant, the little colony was increased by the arrival of Jacob Roorbach, Harvey Sacket, Justus Barnes, Taylor Peck, Solomon Weston, Aldrich Carver, Norman Carter, James Poag, Abraham Ferris, Albert Buell, George W. Curtiss, Reuben Fox, and others. Isaac G. Sturtevant is a model farmer and stock-grower. He resides about half a mile west of the corners. Adorned by tasteful buildings, select fruit orchards, and good fences, his homestead furnishes proof that the lessons of economy, neatness, and business tact, enforced by the father, are carefully followed and adhered to by the son. He is a genial and intelligent gentleman.
  FREDERICK SULTZER was born in Green county, Pennsylvania, July 25, 1762.  From the time he was ten years old, he was compelled to handle fire-arms.  From the period of his childhood, until the close of the war of 1812-15, the border settlers of western Pennsylvania were menaced by Indian raids.  He became very expert as a backwoodsman, and when a deer, a bear, or any other species of game, came within range of his rifle, it was sure to fall a victim to his unerring aim.  He visited what is now Milton township, in the fall of 1815, and located the tract of land upon which he settled.  In the spring of 1816, he brought a covered wagon and four good horses, with a plow and other farming utensils.  He slept four months in the wagon, doing his cooking in a sort of camp hut.  In the fall, after having put up a cabin and secured his crop of corn, he returned to Pennsylvania and brought on his wife.  At that time, the Indians were quite numerous along the Black fork, engaged in hunting, through they were harmless.  The next spring they encamped near him and made sugar.  Mr. Sigler, who married Mr. Sultzer's daughter, informs us that the old gentleman retained his vision and his steadiness of aim to the last.   When he was ninety-two years old, he shot a hawk, offhand, on a very high tree, near his residence, to convince Mr. Sigler that his sight and aim were as accurate as in the days of his prime.  He never wore glasses.  He was a cousin of the famous Louis Wetsel, and in his boyhood often hunted with Wetsel, who tried to teach him how to run and load his gun.  He possessed much admiration for the achievements of his noted cousin as a border warrior and spy.  He was a man of very even temper, genial, and warm in his attachments.  Mr. Sultzer voted for Washington and the ten succeeding presidents.  In his later years, he became a member of the denomination known as Christians.  He died childless, at his far, on the Mansfield road, in Milton township, Mar. 30, 1857, aged nearly ninety-six years.  His wife died in 1843.  Mr. Sultzer had drawn a pension of ninety-six dollars per annum, for many years prior to his death, as a compensation for his border services in western Pennsylvania in his youth.  HE was the last of the border men in this county, and deserved the esteem of his countrymen.
(Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, by George William Hill, M.D. - Published by Williams Bros. 1880. - Page 204)
  DANIEL SUMMERS, with his wife and two children, emigrated from Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, to Orange Township, and settled upon the land which he had the previous year, 1817, entered - said land being the northeast quarter of section 10, and the same upon which he now resides.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 518
  THOMAS SMITH SUTHERLAND was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, November 4, 1816, and removed with his father's family to Richland (now Ashland) county, in 1833.  He became a farmer by occupation and married Martha Sheets, daughter of the late Joseph Sheets, one of the pioneers of Montgomery township.  Mr. Sutherland purchased from his father's estate part of the homestead one and a half miles south of Ashland, and more recently the balance of the home farm, from the heirs.
     He was a man of industrious and economical habits, and noted for his integrity and strict honesty.  He possessed an excellent judgment, and was honored by being selected to fill several township offices.
     On the third day of May, 1876, Mr. Sutherland was fatally injured while assisting in the removal of a neighbor.  Being in advance of other teams, in a small wagon, one of the teams became alarmed at a hog who jumped up by the road side, and commenced to run.  Mr. Sutherland turned aside to permit the team to pass, but was run into, breaking his wagon to splinters, and in passing over him, the wheels crushed to or three ribs.  He survived until the fifth, and deceased.  The melancholy termination of his life produced a feeling of sadness throughout the township.  He left a widow and one daughter, the wife of Mr. Jameson.  A large concourse of friends and neighbors followed him to his final resting place in the cemetery at Ashland.
  BYRON M. SWINEFORD was born in this township (Montgomery), this county, Mar. 6, 1850, and this county has always been his home.  His vocation through life has been that of a salesman in different stores, and he has been engaged in the furniture business, as also the bed spring bottom business.  He has also paid some attention to farming, in which business he is now engaged in.  He was married Apr. 8, 1878, to Miss Libbie Gates, who was also born in this county, Aug. 27, 1856.  They have one child, named Susie May, who was born May 3, 1880.  She is still living.
  GEORGE SWINEFORD, was born in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, September 22, 1797, and came to Ashland county with his parents in 1819.  He married Miss Rosa Ewing, of Mohican township, in 1820.  She was a daughter of John Ewing, one of the pioneers of that township.  Mr. Swineford was a tanner by trade, and one of the first mechanics of Ashland.  His tan-yard stood where the agricultural works of David Whiting were built.  Mr. Swineford continued in business until about 1850, when he removed to his farm in the country, some two miles east of Ashland, on the Wooster road.  Mr. Swineford was for several years in feeble health, and died in 1866, aged sixty-nine years.  His family consisted of nine living children, and three deceased, at his death.  They were - Mahala, Sopharus, Anthony, Harriet, John, Lewis, Ellen, Almira, Rosa; and the dead, Rosa, George and William Mrs. Swineford survived until April 15, 1878, when she deceased, aged seventy-two years.
  JOHN SWINEFORD was born in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania March 25, 1795.  His father, Peter Swineford, located with his family in Fairfield county, Ohio, in 1807, and remained there until 1819, when he removed to Montgomery township, then in Richland, but now in Ashland county, and settled one mile and a half southeast of Ashland, then Uniontown,  In February, 1823, Mr. Swineford, married May, daughter of the late Joseph Young, and having erected a cabin, commenced tin improve his farm.  He remained on the homestead until 1857, when he moved into Ashland, where he now resides.  Mr. Swineford gives the following statistics:
     The first grist-mill in Montgomery township, one mile north of Ashland, By Thomas Oram, in spring of 1816.
     First saw-mill, two miles from Ashland, in Milton township, by Allen Lockhart.
First church, Methodist Episcopal, at Eckley's, now Smith's mills, in Vermillion township, 1819, and Old Hopewell, in Milton, 1817.
     First dry goods store in Uniontown, Joseph Sheets, succeeded by Francis Graham.
     First blacksmith, Ludwick Cline, on Wooster road, two miles east of Ashland.
     First cabinet-maker and undertaker, the late Alexander Miller.
  First carding-machine, stood where Smith's mill now is in Vermillion township, built by andrw Newman; the next by the late Andrew and Uriah Drenub, in Ashland.
     The first tannery stood where Whitings agricultural works now stand, built by John Croft, and subsequently owned by the late George Swinford.
The first wagon-shop, where Barkholder's saw-mill now stands, and was owned by Henry Wachtell.
The first blacksmith in Ashland was the late Samuel Urie.
The second cabinet-maker in Ashland, the late Jacob Grubb.

     The family of Peter Swineford, father of John, consisted of George, John, Anthony, Samuel and A. C. Swineford.  They are all deceased, except John and Abram C., who reside in Ashland.  Peter Swineford, sr. died January 30, 1849, aged seventy-eight years, and Samuel died January 13, 1862, aged sixty-two years.  The family of John Swineford consisted of Abraham (dead), Lib (dead), Hannan, Mary, Nancy, and Austin.  The family of Samuel Swineford consisted of Luther, Alfred P., James, Curtis, Sarah, Elsa, Jane and Emily.



CLICK HERE to Return to

CLICK HERE to Return to

This Webpage has been created exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights