OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Ashland County, Ohio

BIOGRAPHIES

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M
N - OP - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - XYZ

< BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

PHILIP MANG, in 1816, entered seven quarters of land in Perry Township.  Upon one of these quarters resides his son Samuel, upon another Peter.
    
He was an emigrant from Somerset County, Pennsylvania, and when he visited the county he made his home with Jerome.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 467
MARK MAPES removed to Hanover Township in the spring of 1822.  He had previously resided in Muskingum County.  When he commenced improvement upon the land he now occupies, his nearest neighbors on the north were Edward S. Hibbard and Gilbert Pell, two miles distant; on the east, his nearest neighbor was about four miles distant; on the south, John Fifer, four miles; and on the west, William Dorland, about five miles.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 378
SOLOMON MARKEL was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, Dec., 1813, and came with his parents to Congress township, Wayne county, in 1837.  The name of his father was Solomon Markle, Sr., who died in 1852, at the age of fifty-two years; his mother died in 1852, at the age of fifty-two years; his mother died in 1850, aged seventy-two years.  Solomon located on section sixteen, Orange township, in 1837.  He had married Miss  Hannah Howman of Congress, Wayne county, prior to locating in Orange.  Their family consists of five boys, Jacob, Israel, Aaron, Franklin, and Lewis C., and four girls, Mary, Margaret, Elizabeth and Hannah J.  The children are all married but Lewis C.  They are much scattered, living in the new States.  Mr. Markel possesses a fine homestead of one hundred and sixty acres of well-improved land, on section sixteen, Orange township.
     Israel Markel was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, Feb. 7, 1819, and came with his father's family to Congress township, Wayne county, in April, 1835, where he remained until 1839, and married shortly after settling on section sixteen, in Orange township, Miss Mariah Ricket, in 1839.  Mr. Markel has been a justice of the peace two terms, a constable two terms, and a coroner of the county one term, in 1846.  He now rides in Ashland, but retains one hundred and seventy acres of his homestead in Orange township, on sections sixteen and nine.  His family consists of six boys: Jacob W., George A., Samuel D., Israel C., a physician, Isaiah F. and Henry A., lawyer, and four daughters, Eliza, Rachel, Lucia A. and Artha M.  Like the family of Solomon, they are much scattered in the west and in this State.
JOSEPH MARKLEY, from Somerset county, Pennsylvania, purchased the Trickle farm in Montgomery township, and moved to the cabin, a twelve by twelve structure, early in the spring of 1815.  When he arrived, there was a camp of Indians on the present site of the residence of Jerry Fulkerson, in South Ashland, and two or three camps down the stream about half a mile, all of which contained about fifty Indians, including their squaws and pappooses.  They were engaged in hunting and making sugar, and had twenty or thirty ponies, and a number of dogs with them.  They left early in the summer.  Mr. Markley's family consisted of himself, wife, and seven sons - Jonathan, John, Matthias, Moses, Aaron, Horatio, and Solomon; and two daughters, Matilda and Frances.  They left four sons, grown, in Pennsylvania - Philip, Peter, David, and Joseph.  They came by Canton and Wooster.  They brought seven horses, and a fine covered wagon, and six milch cows.  The forests were filled with grass, pea-vines, and shrubbery, upon which the cattle and horses fed.
     The first summer, Mr. Markley, wife and two daughters slept in the little cabin, and the boys in and under the covered wagon.  Conrad Kline, who had purchased the Carter farm (since owned by John Mason), and John Heller, were kind enough to supply Markley and family with corn-meal at a neighborly price, until they could purchase corn and get it ground at one of the mills.  Aaron Markley, the only member of the family in this county, says: "Corn-bread, hominy, a little pork, and a tin of good milk constituted their luxuries the first summer and winter."
     The old gentleman, aided by his seven sons, soon prepared a few acres of corn, which they cultivated with care, and which yielded a tolerable crop.  Their next care was to put up a hewed log cabin.  It was completed and ready to be occupied early in the fall.
     When winter began to approach, Mr. Markley went to Mansfield and purchased three large hogs, for which he paid eighty-four dollars and fifty cents.  This constituted the winter meat for the family.  Jonathan and Horatio took five horses with pack-saddles, and following the Indian paths proceeded to Owl creek, the "Egypt" of northern Ohio, for corn.  They purchased five loads of shelled corn, and went to Shrimplin's mill to get it ground; but the mill having given out, they brought it home, and it was crushed in the hominy block by pounding.  After this process, it was sifted, and the coarse fragments being separated, were converted into hominy, and the balance into corn-bread.  Thus the winter of 1816 passed with the Markleys.
     The Markley family soon became famous for their uncommon size and strength.  The old gentleman weighed two hundred and sixty pounds, the old lady two hundred and forty, and the boys, when grown, averaged about two hundred and fifty, while Aaron, the runt of the family, weighs two hundred and thirty.  The boys, with the exception of Aaron, averaged about six feet three inches in height - Aaron being about five feet seven.  It is asserted by the early settlers that David, the third son, could lift by the chimes a barrel of sugar water, and drink from the bung-hole.  It is rare that such a family of giants is found in a new country.  No one had the temerity to contend with David Samuel, Thomas, and Solomon Urie, all six feet high, and very stout, sometimes had a little tilt with the Markleys, but rarely won a laurel.
     Aaron Markley now (1880) resides on the old homestead, is seventy-nine years of age, and is the only member of the family in this county.
     Joseph Markley, sr., died in 1831, aged sixty years, and his wife soon followed him to the tomb.  Most of his sons went west, where several of them have risen to posts of honor.
Lake Twp. -
GEORGE MARKS removed to Lake Township from Washington County, Pennsylvania, in June, 1819.  His family then consisted of his wife and four children, namely:  Mary, Ephraim, William, and George.
     The citizens then residing in Lake Township, according to his best recollection were Wm. Green, Wm. Greenlee, Asahel Webster, Joshua Oram, Jabez Smith, James Loudon Priest, and John Wetherbee.
   
 Mr. Marks entered the tract of land upon which his sons, Robert and George, now reside in Lake Township.
     Mary married Benjamin Finley, and died in 1854; Ephraim is a resident of Loudonville; William died in 1842, and George, as before stated, resides with his younger brother upon the old homestead.
     The first sale of lots in Loudonville was made on the 14th of September, 1814.  The land upon which the town is situated was originally entered by James Loudon Priest, who subsequently sold an undivided interest to Stephen Butler, and they jointly executed titles to purchasers.
     Mr. Marks died on the 2d of October, 1861, having attained the age of 74 years.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 388
Vermillion Twp. -
GEORGE MARSHALL immigrated to Vermillion Township, and purchased of James Lawhead the land upon which a part of his family now reside, in April, 1822.  He emigrated from Pennsylvania, with his wife - all his children having been born in Vermillion Township.  Mr. Marshall died on the 6th of January, 1852, in his fifty-third year.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 282

MARTIN MASON, SR., was born in Germany in 1742, and emigrated with his parents to America in 1745, and settled on the south branch of the Potomac river, in Virginia.  When he was about thirteen years of age, in 1755, he was captured by the Indians.  This occurred about two weeks after the disastrous defeat of General Braddock, when on his way to attack Fort DuQuesne.  Young Mason was taken by the Indians to the fort, and thence, by Niagara, to Canada, where he was purchased by a French officer at Montreal.  When General Wolfe captured Quebec, in 1759, young Mason was ordered, by his master, to conduct the family to a neighboring swamp for safety during the battle.  Four years after the surrender of the city to the English, in 1763, he was liberated and returned home, after an absence of about eight years, where he remained until his marriage.  He subsequently removed, after an absence of about eight years, where he remained until his marriage.  He subsequently removed to what is now Fayette county, Pennsylvania, and located land by “tomahawk right,” which consisted in blazing trees around the tract selected and having it surveyed and recorded, all of which cost but a trifle.  This was four or five years after the Dunmore war, when with his neighbors, he was greatly harassed by the Indians for a number of years.  Mr. Mason died at an advanced age on the old homestead of the late Jacob Mason, in Orange, in 1838, aged ninety-six years, leaving nine children:  Elizabeth, Barbara, Margaret, Abigail, Mary, John, Martin, Charles, and Jacob.  Martin and Jacob located in Orange township, Ashland county, and Charles in Columbiana county, Ohio.  He was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, Feb. 16, 1780, and died in Columbiana county, in Apr., 1869, aged about eighty-nine years.  He had four sons, John, Martin, Jacob, and Lewis.  Martin emigrated to Ashland county in 1844, and settled on a quarter of land purchased by his father in 1814.  He was born Apr. 12, 1817.  He still resides on the homestead.  His children are a son, W. A. Mason, and two daughters, Emila and Mary. 
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio – Publ. by William Bros. – 1880 - Page 214

NICHOLAS MASTERS immigrated, with his wife, to Clearcreek Township, southeast quarter of section 34, from Somerset County, Pennsylvania, in May, 1830, and improved the land, and has made it his residence since.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 162 - Clearcreek Twp.
JOHN MAURER removed to Plain Township, Wayne County, in November, 1821.  He was an emigrant from Pennsylvania.  In April, 1825, he purchased and removed to the land in Perry Township, now occupied by William Adams.  His family, at this time, consisted of his wife and eight children, the only survivors of whom, now residing in Perry Township, are his widow, his son William, and widowed daughter, Mrs. Ann Jackson.  Mrs. Maurer if she lives until the 18th of August, 1862, will be eighty-seven years of age.  Mr. Maurer died Jan . 13th, 1860, aged eighty-three years and eight months.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 467
JOHN McCONNELL, brother of Mrs. Solomon Urie, located in Orange township about the same time that the Uries came.  He was an accomplished backwoodsman and Indian fighter.  He was a relative of the famous Alexander McConnell, of Washington county, Pennsylvania, and also a relative of Colonel Williamson.  He had many encounters with the Indians in the border wars, and in the Miami and Wabash country; and is believed to have settled in number of accounts with the Green and Jerometown Indians after he came to this county.  Being a bachelor, while a resident of Orange township, he spent a good deal of time in his forest camps, hunting deer, bear, wolves, and other game.  He had lost many dear friends in the border wars; and hence had no very strong attachments for his red neighbors.  He never hesitated, when threatened with danger by the Indians, as he roamed through the forest, to face his foe, and resent impending attacks;  particularly when he met savages who had made themselves conspicuous in murdering the border settlers.
     Some thirty-five years since, when game had grown scarce in the region, McConnell sought a new home in the wilds of Wood county, where he remained a few years, and then located in Eaton county, Michigan, where he died.
     Hardy, frank and fearless, he seemed to enjoy a lonely hut i the wilderness, like Boone and Kenton, more than the restraints of civilized society.
(Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, by George William Hill, M.D. - Published by Williams Bros. 1880. - Page 204)
JAMES McCOOL was born in Pennsylvania in 1822, came to Ohio in 1838, and settled in Green township, Ashland county.  He is a miller by trade and occupied the old steam-mill in Ashland in 1861, when he was elected sheriff of Ashland county, and held the office two terms.  In 1866 he bought an interest in John W. Springer's livery stable, and remained in partnership with him one year, when he sold his share to Springer, and bought out Helpman's stock of groceries, and was engaged in that business until 1875, when he sold his share to Springer, and went to Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he is engaged in milling.  In 1845 he married Rhoda Swacick, and is the father of seven children, four of whom are living, viz.:  James; William A., who married Elizabeth Denner; Henry C., of Perryville; and Chas. W., of Ashland.
(Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, by George William Hill, M.D. - Published by Williams Bros. 1880. - Page 282)
WILLIAM A. McCOOL was born in Ashland county in 1850 and received a common school education.  When he was fourteen years old he went to work for David Whiting, of Ashland, where he learned to be a machinist, and has always worked at his trade.  He is now one of the proprietors of the Perrysville machine works.  In politics he is a Democrat.  In 1871 he married Elizabeth Denner, of Rowsburgh, Ashland county, and is the father of four children: Jesse M. who died in infancy; Howard S., William A., and Charles E.
(Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, by George William Hill, M.D. - Published by Williams Bros. 1880. - Page 252)
JOSEPH McCUTCHIN was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, August 3, 1803. He resided a short time, in his youth, in Maryland, where he attended school. In 1815 his father's family removed to Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, where he served an apprenticeship of three years at the hatter's business. In 1828 he married Nancy Stem, and removed to Pittsburgh. In 1835 he came to Orange township, Richland (now Ashland) county, and, in 1845, removed to Savannah, where he still resides. His wife died in 1843, and, in 1845, he married Mary Ann Freeborn, daughter of one of the pioneers of Clearcreek.
     Mr. McCutchin has been in the mercantile business for many years. He connected with the Methodist Episcopal church in 1818. He became a member of the Masonic fraternity in Pittsburgh—Miller lodge, No. 165 —in 1830, and of Western Star lodge, of the Odd Fellows, No. 24, in 1832. He has been notary public about seventeen years; mayor of Savannah four years; postmaster eleven years, and township treasurer six years. He is the father of a large family, part of whom are married, and part deceased.
Mr. McCutchin is a quiet and undemonstrative citizen. In politics he acts with the Democratic party, though not proscriptive in his opinions.

 
HUGH McGUIRE visited Montgomery Township in the year 1810, on a hunting and exploring excursion.  There were no white inhabitants in the township at that date.  Robert Newell removed to the township the succeeding year, (1811,) from White Eyes Plains, (Newcomerstown,) Tuscarawas County, Ohio.  Mr. McGuire is the present owner and occupant of a farm which was among the original entries of Mr. Newell.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 200
HUGH B. McKIBBEN immigrated to Clearcreek Township, and settled upon the farm he has since improved and now occupies, on teh 31st of May, 1828.  Mr. McKibben emigrated from Beaver County, Pennsylvania, a place about two miles east of the State line.  His family at that time consisted of wife and son, William C.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 163 - Clearcreek Twp.
JAMES McLAUGHLIN, a Pennsylvanian by birth, adopted Milton Township as his home in 1816.  He subsequently resided in Montgomery, and, in 1830, having in the mean time married, repaired to his present residence in Orange Township.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 518
 
JOHN McMURRAY emigrated from Mecklenberg County, North Carolina, to Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1816; from the latter place he immigrated to the township which subsequently became Clearcreek, in the fall of 1819.  His family at this time consisted of his wife and the following children, namely: Mary, James, Robert, Margaret, and William.  Mr. McMurray died on the 20th February, 1843, in the sixty second year of his age.  Robert McMurray, Esq., at present a resident of the town of Ashland, is the only survivor of the family now living within Ashland County.

Death of James McMurray.
     On the 19th of August, 1830, while engaged with his father, brother William, and Daniel Huffman, in digging a well upon the place of his father, (being the farm now owned by David Shriver,) he came to a painful death under the following circumstances:  The younger brother, William, had been in the well, and, being oppressed with a feeling of suffocation, asked to be drawn up by those who had charge of the windless above; which request being accomplished, James, the elder brother, under the impression that it was an idle fancy that had afflicted the younger brother, determined to descend the well himself.  He accordingly, after having thrown down his implements for the purpose of spiking the well, was lowered in the tub, and, after descending about midway, (twenty feet,) those in charge of the windless discovered, by the instant lessening of weight, that the occupant of the tub had fallen!  The fall, (twenty feet,) aside from "the damps," would have doubtless produced immediate death; and those above fully realized the fate of their companion.  It was with much difficulty that Mr. Huffman restrained the younger brother from an attempt to rescue the one in the well.  The alarm soon spread, and Thomas Brink, together with Robert McMurray, Elias Ford, and others, who were at work in gathering the timber for the Ford meeting house, assembled about the scene of the disaster.  Within about two hours after he had fallen, his body, in the presence of some fifty people, was drawn from the well, after numerous other efforts had failed, by means of the hooks of strong steelyards, which had been lowered into the well, and obtained fastening to his clothes.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 163

|JOHN McNAULL, removed to the land he how occupies, being a quarter on the southeast section of Montgomery Township, in the spring of 1815.  Mr. McNaull was born in Ireland, but had resided in Lancaster Co., Penn., six years, and in Frederick Co., Md., the same length of time; and from the latter place he removed to the place above described.  His nearest neighbor was William Reed, of Vermillion Township.  He had no family other than his wife; all his children having been born in this county.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 200
JAMES MEDOWELL removed to Orange Township from Stark County, in November, 1823.  His son, William, entered in his name the southwest quarter of section 26.  It had been previously entered by Michael Koontz, and forfeited by him for nonpayment.  The family of James Medowell at this time consisted of his wife and five children, namely, William, Harriet, (now Mrs. Speekman, of Stark County,) John, James, and Henry.  OF these, William and John continue to reside in Orange Township - the former being the owner of the old homestead.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 517
THE MERCERSAbner E. Mercer was born in Virginia, Jan. 19, 1810.  He emigrated with his family to Jackson county, Ohio, in 1812.  From that county his father, Levi Mercer, served as a soldier in the war of 1812, in the northwest. In 1824 he removed with his family to Milton township, Richland, now Ashland county, where he entered a half section of land in section six.  He deceased in 1850, and his wife in 1853; he at the age of seventy years, and she at seventy-three.  They left a numerous family - thirteen children - Sabra, Elizabeth, Levi, Maria, Hale, Abner, Sarah, Mary, Jackson, Franklin, Mohada, Washington and Caroline, and about one hundred grandchildren.
     Ebner E. was a sixth member of the family, and has resided on a part of the home farm since arriving at manhood.  He attended the common schools of the township, and learned the trade of a plasterer.  He married Miss Thankful Crabbs, daughter of John Crabbs, near 1835 he became a member of the Disciple church, and adorned his faith by an upright walk.  In 1844 he became the elder of Bryte's church, and was devoted to his faith. 
     Mr. Mercer was also a farmer of industrious habits and admitted integrity and uprightness.  When he entered the township, in 1824, it was largely in its primitive condition.  The native forest had been comparatively undisturbed by the woodman's axe.  At the period cabin-raising, log-rolling, and wood-cutting were the principal occupations of the pioneers, who cheerfully volunteered their aid to assist those who sought a home amid the forests.  Great have been the changes since the Mercers entered the township, in 1824, it was largely in its primitive condition.  The native forest had been comparatively undisturbed by the woodman's axe.  At that period cabin-raising, log-rolling, and wood-cutting were the principal occupations of the pioneers, who cheerfully volunteered their aid to assist those who sought a home amid the forests.  Great have been the changes since the Mercers entered the township.  Mr. Mercer, for the last six or seven years, had been greatly enfeebled by that fell destroyer, consumption.  The immediate occasion of his last illness was pneumonia, of which he deceased Feb. 23, 1877, and was interred at Bryte's church on the 24th.
     He was the father of fourteen children - Jefferson, John Levi, Polly, Madison, Abner, Sarah, Darius, Benjamin, William, Silas, Jacob, Nancy, and one unnamed.  His funeral was attended by a large number of his neighbors, the members of his family, and fourteen grandchildren.  Mr. Mercer still survives and is aged about sixty years. 
     Thus, one by one, the pioneers are being gathered home by the great reaper, and soon the funeral chime will have tolled the knell of the last early settler.
CHRISTIAN MILLER immigrated to Uniontown, Montgomery Twp., from Pennsylvania, in 1829.  Now resides one-half mile north of Ashland.
Source #2
JAMES C. MOLTRUP, born in Shenango county, New York, in 1822, came to Richland county in 1840, and settled in Perrysville in 1844. He was a machinist, having learned his trade in Erie county, Pennsylvania. He opened a machine shop and foundry in Loudonville, and built the shop and foundry in company with Stephen Rust, on the ground now occupied by the English Lutheran church. In 1850 he sold out to Rust & Sons, and in 1852 came into possession of an interest in the same business, which he continued about two years, when he sold out to Tillson & Feik. In about three years he purchased Feik's interest and continued the business six years, when he sold out and went to Crawford county, Ohio, where he remained nine years, when he returned to Loudonville, and at present holds an interest in the machine shop, doing business under the firm name of Moltrup, Sons & Miller. While in Loudonville he held the office of councilman two terms. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He married Rosanna Rust, and after her death he married Hannah A. Russell. He is the father of fourteen children, of whom eleven are living, viz: Amanda, wife of J. W. Robinson, of Pittsburgh; William, who married Caliste Underwood, and lives in Perrysville; Helen; Ida, wife of Thomas Underwood, of Perrysville; Mary; Stephen; James T.; Rosanna; Walter; Jane; and Charles F. The following is a list of James C. Moltrup's inventions: In 1859 he invented a plow called Moltrup's patent. It was made of either cast-iron or steel, and is now in general use; a wrought-iron latch lever screw, used for cider presses; a drag-saw and horse-power attachment; a tire bender; a plaster dropper that can be attached to any corn planter now in use; a patent bobsled; a school-house seat; a machine for bending bobsled runners; a plow handle bender; an adjustable kettle ear; also the inventor of one of the best horse powers now in use; and manufactures four different styles of seats for school-houses, and can be considered one of the most ingenious men of the age.
Troy Twp -
BENJAMIN MOORE emigrated from Monroe County, New York, and settled in Troy Township in 1833.  At the first electin, in 1835, he was chosen justice of the peace.  At this election twelve or fourteen votes were given.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863
MICHAEL MORR was born in Center county, Pennsylvania, Oct. 10, 1796.  He was of German descent.  He resided in his native county until manhood, when he married, and in the year 1827, with his wife and one child removed to section seven, in Perry township, Wayne (now Ashland) county, Ohio, where he continued to reside until his decease, which occurred Sunday, June 10, 1877, at the advanced age of eighty years and eight months.  The immediate cause of his death was dropsy, of which he suffered for many months.
     When he landed in the woods, his neighbors were: Charles Wilson, William Lash, Jonas H. Gierhart, William Latta, Samuel Sheets, James Boots, Frederick Wise, Jacob and Benjamin Myers, Hugh Carr, William Shisler, and Jacob Onstott; most of whom have long since been called home to rest.
      He entered the forest as a pioneer, cleared a farm of ninety acres, and, erected substantial and valuable buildings thereon.  He passed through all the hardships and privations incident to the settlement of all new countries.  He performed a full share of the toil expended in opening highways through the dense forests, in log-rolling, erecting cabins, school-houses and churches, and lived to see his township and county thickly populated, and dotted with villages, towns and happy homes.
      He assisted in the erection of the first Lutheran church, on the old Meng farm, east of Jeromeville, as far back as 1833, adn attended the same until about 1840, when a small class of the Evangelical church was formed in his neighborhood, and occasional preaching took place at the houses of the members of six for seven years.
ANDREW MUMPER was born in York county, Pennsylvania, in 1787, came to Ohio in 1837, and first settled in Ashland county on the farm now owned by Samuel Staffer.  He was a farmer by occupation; a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics was a Democrat until the Whig party was organized, and he became a Whig.  He married Margaret Dato, of York county, Pennsylvania, who died in 1861.  Mr. Mumper died in 1860.  They had a family of nine children, six of whom are living, viz.:  Catharine, who married Michael Bender, of Pennsylvania; John, who married Leah Wonders, of Iowa; Andrew, who married Elizabeth Bryan of Ashland county; Hannah, who married Vincint Daly, of Indiana; Jane, who married Samuel Shaffer, of Illinois; and Joseph, who married Christina Fleck, of Ashland county.
(Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, by George William Hill, M.D. - Published by Williams Bros. 1880. - Page 282)
ANDREW MUMPER, JR., was born in Knox county, Ohio, in 1841, and came to Ashland county with his father in 1846.  In 1861 he enlisted in company G, Sixty-fifth Ohio volunteer infantry, under Captain Orlow Smith, and served until July, 1862.  In 1867 he married Hannah Hite.  He is a farmer, has been school director for five years, and is deeply interested in educational matters.  He settled on the farm on which he now lives in 1872.  He has three children: Mary T., Harry O., and Katie
(Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, by George William Hill, M.D. - Published by Williams Bros. 1880. - Page 282)
ANDREW MUMPER, SR., was born in York county, Pennsylvania, in 1816, and came to Ohio was his father in 1837.  In 1836 he married Elizabeth Bryan, of York county, Pennsylvania.  In 1838 he removed to Knox county, where he remained seven years when he returned to Ashland county, and, in 1851, bought the farm on which he now lives.  He has farmed all his life, and the last thirty-nine years has threshed.  He commenced business with a small capital, and, by honesty and industry, has accumulated a large property.  He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and a respected member of society.  He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and a respected member of society.  He is the father of nine children, six of whom are living, viz.:  William A. who married Susan Sanborn, and now lives in Holmes county; Francis, wife of Isaac Hunter, of Hanover township; Andrew, who married Hannah Hite, of Ashland county; Margaret, wife of George Lawrence, of Ashland county; Joseph, and Catharine.
(Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, by George William Hill, M.D. - Published by Williams Bros. 1880. - Page 282)
EDWARD MURRAY immigrated to Orange Township, with his family, in 1820.  He died on the 4th of November, 1862, at the age of seventy-three years.  He was the last male survivor of the family of the late Patrick Murray, who, with his wife, and ten children, removed to Orange Township in the year 1815.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 517
PATRICK MURRAY was born in Ireland, March 17, 1755, and emigrated to America in 1782.  He located at Harrisburgh, Pennsylvania, where he married Mary Beattie, also of Irish descent.  He remained at Harrisburgh until 1806, and then removed to Greensburgh, Pennsylvania.  About the year 1809, he located in Stark county, Ohio, where he continued to reside until 1815.  In the fall of 1812, Mr. Murray volunteered in the brigade of General Reasin Beall to go to the defence of the border settlers in the northwest.  His son James, then thirty-five years of age, also entered the same brigade.  While quartered at Fort Meigs, the army became much distressed for want of rations.  The roads to the settlements were long, rough and in poor condition, passing mostly through dense forests and across marshes and bogs.  The quantity of forage consumed by the cavalry, as well as the supply of the quartermaster's department for the troops, made it difficult to furnish the necessary rations at the proper time.
     For a time, the rations were reduced to but a few ounces per meal, and the half starved soldiers began to murmur over their hardships.  The weather was inclement, and their sufferings were regarded as almost unbearable.  General Harrison deeply sympathized with the half famished troops; and was urgent in regard to immediate supplied; but "red tape" made many delays in forwarding and distributing food.  In the midst of the general distress, the privates began to remonstrate with their officers, and threaten retaliation if their hunger was not soon alleviated.  Little knots of clamoring soldiers continued their discussions, notwithstanding the guardhouse menaced them.
     Among those who were particularly active and persistent, was Patrick Murray, who took it upon himself to enter the marquee of General Harrison, to expostulate with him concerning the distribution of food.  On entering the general's tent, Mr. Murray was asked by one of the aides-de-camp what he desired, and how he dared enter without permission?
     Mr. Murray - "May it plase your honor, I am very hungry, and wish to know whin our rations will be increased?"
     General Harrision - "I am sorry to learn that the troops are suffering for food.  We have been urgent for an increased supply, which we hope will be here in a few days."
     Mr. Murry - "But, gineral, in the manetime we may all starve.  We can't stand it much longer, sur."
     General Harrison
- "You will have to be patient.  We are doing the best we can."
     Mr. Murray ' "Do you think, gineral, a man would commit a great sin to steal, rather than starve?"
     General Harrison - "That is a hard question.  I would not like to starve so long as I could obtain food."
     Mr. Murray - "I thank you, gineral, you are right, and, as there seems to be a spare loaf or two here, I will begin at headquarters to supply meself."
     Mr. Murray approached the larder, and, taking a large loaf of bread, commenced to devour a part of it, intending to take the balance to his conrades.  An officer in the general's tent ordered him to put it back.
     Mr. Murray - "The gineral has relaxed the moral law that he might not starve; and I decline to depart from the same principal, sur."
  
  At this response the general laughed heartily, and ordered the officer to permit Mr. Murray to return to his company.
     For this act of generous forbearance Mr. Murray always remembered General Harrison, and declared that he was "a brave officer, a patriot and gintleman."
     I have preserved this reminiscence, because it is characteristic of Mr. Murray, who was never known to be without a reply, and wit enough to escape the sharp repartee of an adversary.
     After Beall had returned, Mr. Murray and his son served a second enlistment, and were at the battle of Fort Meigs.  In that contest Mr. Murray was separated from his company, and the grass being very tall, it was presumed, by his comrades, that he had been killed and scalped by the Indians.  After a few hours, he appeared in the camp amid the cheers of his companions at his safe return.  Upon the expiration of his term of service, he returned to his home in Stark county, where he remained until 1815, and then removed to what is now Orange township, in what was then Richland county.  The members of his family at that time were James, Edward, Catharine, Susannah, William, John, Mary, Elizabeth, Alice, Sarah, Rebecca, George, and Hester, and, in 1816, Hugh.
     Mr. Murray
was a tailor by trade, and worked at that occupation in Harrisburgh and Greensburgh, Pennsylvania, and in Stark county, Ohio.  He was a "live Irishman" in company - full of wit and original humor.  Although his education was defective, he had a very retentive memory, and, if now living, would relate a volume of exploits and border achievements.  On the fourth of July, the year he was ninety-nine years of age, he rode to Ashland in a buggy, walked about one mile during the day, and returned home, some three miles, in the evening.  He was enthusiastic, like all his countrymen when they have become Americanized, on the observation of the natal day of American Independence.  Mr. Murray voted for ten different Presidents of the United States.  He died at his farm in Orange township, July 23, 1854, aged ninety-nine years and nearly four months.  His wife had preceded him to the grave a short time.
     James Murray studied medicine, and resided for a time in Cincinnati, where he died.  John studied surveying, and afterwards became treasures of Richland county for two teams, and then removed west, where he died.  Of his numerous family, all have deceased, except three married daughters, who do not reside in the county.
BENJAMIN MYERS, was born in Perry township, Dec. 21, 1841, and is the son of Jacob and Mary Myers, natives of Pennsylvania.  His father was born in Center county, of that State, May 25, 1788, and died in Ashland county, Ohio, Aug. 4, 1857.  His mother was born in the same county as his father, and died in Perry township, Ashland county, Sept. 12, 1878.  His brothers are Jonathan, George, Jacob and Daniel, all residents of Perrry township, except Jacob, who resides in Kansas; his sisters are Margaret, Eliza, Mary, and Catharine, all living in this county, except Mary, who is deceased.  Benjamin Myers resided with his father in Perry township until 1860, doing farm work in the summer time and attending district school in the wintertime.  In 1861-62 he attended the Vermillion institute at Hayesville, but, in 1862, offered his services in defence of his country, enlisting in company F, One Hundred and Twentieth Ohio volunteer infantry.  In July, 1865, he returned home from the war and resumed his studies at the institute.  In 1866 he began the study of medicine at Wooster, Ohio, in the office of Drs. Robinson & Weaver.  In 1867 he attended upon a course of medical instruction in the Jefferson Medical college of Philadelphia graduating from that college in 1869.  In June of the same year he formed a partnership with Dr. J. P. Cowan, and began the practice of medicine at Ashland, Ohio.  Nov. 29, 1879, he was united in marriage with Samantha Cowan, his partner's daughter.  His children are: Rena M., born Nov. 19, 1871, and Emma C. born Sept. 14, 1873.  Mrs. Myers died Nov. 21, 1878.  In 1873 Mr. Myers died Nov. 21, 1878.  In 1873 Mr. Myers was elected to the Ohio legislature, and re-elected in 1875, serving all four years.
FRANK E. MYERS, son of George and Elizabeth Myers, was born Mar. 16, 1848.  His father was a native of Pennsylvania, whence he came with his parents when a youth, and settled on the homestead in Perry township, and his mother was born in Wayne county, Ohio.  There they were married, and raised a family of nine children:  Frank E., Celena, P. A., Mary A., Elizabeth S., Alvah N., George D., Minnie V., and Effie.  Frank E. Myers, the subject of this sketch, lived at home working on the farm, and attending school during the winter months, until he arrived at maturity, when he left home and entered the dry goods store of M. B. Parmely, at Ashland, with whom he remained about a year, when he returned to the farm.  He again came to Ashland and worked for the Ashland Machine company, where he continued four years, until 1875, when eh opened a local agency for agricultural implements, and in 1879 associated with himself his brother, P. A. Myers, who hand until then been employed by him.  In 1878 the increasing demand of his business required him to move to the large building now occupied by himself and his brother.  During all the time since 1875, he has been general traveling agent for Bucher, Gibbs & Co., of Canton, Ohio, for Ohio and the eastern States.  Jan. 18, 1872, he married Alvesta, daughter of S. Hohenshil, of Rowsburgh.  They have had five children: Mamie E., George J., Charley, John C., and Laura E.
H. K. MYERS was born in Carroll county, Maryland, Dec. 21, 1834.  His father, John Myers, was a native of the same county, as was his mother, Hannah Myers, both of whom died in Ashland county, after raising a family of eight children, as follows:  Eliza, David, Mary A., Israel, Sarah A., Lydia, Henry K. and Julia A.  Henry K. Myers, the subject of this sketch, came to Ohio in the fall of 1839, with his parents and their family, and settled in Orange township, Ashland county.  He remained at his father's for some years, working a part of the time in the saw-mill owned by his father.  While there he was married to Anna Shoemaker, of Chester township, Wayne county, Ohio, by whom he has had five children, one of whom, Allen Gilbert, died in infancy.  The others are John W., Mary E., David N. and Bertha B.  Mr. Myers remained in Orange township until 1865, when he moved to Ashland and engaged in the lumber business.  In 1874 he went into the milling business with partners, the firm name being H. K. Myers & Co.  The partners were Christian Cabel and J. T. Engel.  The partnership still continues, the lumber business being conducted under the firm name of Cabel, Myers & Co., the third partner being Jesse Cabel, son of Christian Cabel.  Mr. Myers is also interested with J. J. SHoemaker in the grocery business in Ashland.
JACOB MYERS immigrated to Clearcreek Township, 23d April, 1829.  His native State was Pennsylvania, Green County, where he was ordained as a clergyman of the Baptist church.  He purchased and entered and land which forms the tract upon which he has since resided, on sections 3 and 4, Clearcreek Township.  His family at this time consisted of his wife and daughter Charlotte, (who subsequently married James Clark;) his son Cephas, his daughter Eliza, (who married Daniel Taylor;) Minerva, (now the wife of James Dunlap;) and Julia Ann (now the wife of John Gribben.)
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 164
MICHAEL MYERS was born Jan. 24, 1814, in Germany, and came to America with him parents and settled in Lebanon county, Pennsylvania, in the fall of 1814.  From there his parents removed to Dauphin county, where they lived about eight years, and then removed to Center county, where they resided until 1832, when they removed to Columbia county, where they remained about two years and then emigrated to Richland county, Ohio, in 1836, and settled near Savannah, then known as Haneytown, in Clearcreek township.
     Here he became acquainted with and married Miss Anne Mason, daughter of Martin Mason, and then resided about two years in Rubbles township, Huron county, after which he removed to Montgomery Township, and purchased his present homestead.  The fruits of his marriage have been sixteen children, fourteen of whom still survive.  His sons are Charles, Alonzo, John, Martin, Joseph, Frank, and George; the girls are Mary Anne, Lucia, Elizabeth, Irene, Ella, Ida and Maggie; all married but two boys and one girl.
     Mr. Myers came in 1836, and has been a resident of Montgomery township forty-four years, and, all the time, he has been a practical farmer.  He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church ten years.  He now attends all Protestant churches, miscellaneously.  Mr. Myers owns a good farm, which is in an excellent state of cultivation, and yields an abundance to reward him for his toil.  He has quite an interesting family who have been raised to habits of industry and economy, and are respected as useful and exemplary citizens.
CHRISTOPHER MYKRANTS settled in Uniontown, in April, 1823.  At that time the only church in the neighborhood was the old Hopewell, about one mile west of the town.  The school building was a small log cabin, standing on a lot west of the residence of Hugh Davis.  The chimney, according to the general custom of the time, being the lath and clay, took fire, and the building was consumed.  The inhabitants were generally rude in their habits and dress, but kind and hospitable.  Upon public occasions, ardent spirits were used very freely - fights were frequent, and at times involved nearly the whole crowd; but enmities were not lasting, and peace and reconciliation always returned with a disappearance of the effects of the liquor. 
     Wheat would command about 25 cents, and corn from 9 to 12˝ cents per bushel.  In 1828, Luther M. Pratt effected an arrangement in Rochester, New York, by which he was enabled to offer 37˝ per bushel for wheat - a price then unprecedented in the history of the country since a surplus of that grain had been produced.
     The first vehicle in the form of a carriage which made its appearance in this town or township was brought by Dr. Luther from Connecticut, in 1821.  Its springs were of wood, and, excepting the tires upon the wheels, there had not been twenty pounds of iron used in its manufacture.  It was made in Connecticut, and a novelty in this country.  Applications for its use were so pressing and frequent, that the doctor sold it for eighteen dollars.
     The family of Mr. Mykrants at this time consisted of his wife and daughter Elizabeth and sons John and Jacob.  The first named became the wife of the late Dr. Joel Luther, and now resides with her son-in-law, Dr. J. B. F. SampselJohn is a resident of Orange and Jacob of Clearcreek Township.

Source #2

 

CLICK HERE to Return to
ASHLAND COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

This Webpage has been created exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights