OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Ashland County, Ohio

BIOGRAPHIES

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M
N - OP - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - XYZ

< BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

SAMUEL GARRET emigrated from New Jersey to Hanover township in 1825, having the year previous entered eighty acres in section 11, (the west half of the southwest quarter.)
     Loudonville, although having been laid out several years, was a place of little business importance.  He bought, at a public sale, lots in the town for one dollar.
Gratuitous Official Services
    
For several years subsequent for Mr. Garret's settlement in the country, it was the custom of township officers to make no charge for public services.  From about the year 1830, township officers received their first compensation.
     Mr. Garret is now (August, 1862) in the eighty-first year of his age.  His father, William Garret, served during the revolutionary war, in the Life Guard of General Washington.  After his first discharge, in 1uip, he received his arrears of pay in Continental paper, and, on the following morning, the landlord declined to receive the whole amount of his "money" for his breakfast.
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 377)
ISAAC GATES
Peter Gates was born in New Jersey, in 1778, of German descent, and emigrated to Washington county, Pennsylvania, in 1801, and married Sarah Spech in 1803. He removed to Mifflin township, Richland county, in 1830, and deceased in 1861, aged eighty-three years. His family consisted of Martin, Jacob, John, Isaac, Elizabeth, Eunice, Margaret, and Sarah. He was twice married, his second 'wife being Elizabeth, sister of Samuel Lewis, of Mifflin.
Isaac Gates, fourth son of Peter, was born near Hillsborough, Washington county, Pennsylvania, September 15, 1815. In 1830 he accompanied his father's family to Richland county, Ohio. Here he grew to manhood, attending the common schools of the neighborhood in the winter season, and labored on a farm in the summer. His father's family being in moderate circumstances, he was compelled to labor at wages to procure clothing and education, the schools at that period being sustained by individual subscriptions. In 1839 he was elected constable of Mifflin township, and was reelected five times successively. In November, 1834, he married Susan Newcomer, daughter of Christian Newcomer, who was subsequently commissioner of Ashland county. Mr. Gates moved to the village of Mifflin, where, in 1842, he was elected justice of the peace, and twice re-elected. In 1848 he was elected sheriff, and re-elected in 1850. In 1852 he was elected auditor, and re-elected in 1854. In 1862 he was again elected auditor, and re-elected in 1864. He now resides in Ashland. Since the expiration of his second term, as auditor he has followed the business of a public salesman or auctioneer. He has been an active member of the Lutheran church since 1847, and, much of the time, a deacon or elder. His family consists of Sarah J., Halstead, Margaret, deceased, Fannie E., Nelson, William H., Christian N., Reuben H., Arminda, Elizabeth, Frank and Martin L.
JONAS H. GIERHART, an immigrant from Maryland, removed to Jackson Township on the quarter section upon a part of which is now situated the town of Polk, in July, 1817.  The township was then unorganized, and formed a part of Perry.  At the first election after the organization of the township, Charles Hoy and himself were elected justices of the peace.  During the first year of his residence in the township, he traveled three days in search of his estray horses, without meeting a human being or habitation.  This place, and the country around it for several miles, was without a white inhabitant - he is nearest neighbor being William Bryan, residing about two miles south of him; while on the same range of townships north, he believes there was not a single white family between him and the lake.  When he came to the country with his wife and child he placed the two latter in temporary charge of the family of Marin Hester, (being the place owned by David and Henry Fluke,) in Orange Township, about three miles distant from the tract he owned.  The land above mentioned was in its wild condition, not a tree or shrub being cut, and of course without a cabin to afford him and his little family shelter.  On the first day he made a small clearing, and preparation for raising a cabin.  This work he done himself, although utterly inexperienced in the use of the woodman's axe, as he had never in his life chopped a cord of wood, made a fence rail or cut down or even deadened a tree, having previously worked only upon farms long cultivated.  On the second day his wife requested to visit the home her husband was engaged in preparing, and accompany him to it with their child.  They accordingly sat out on horseback, and in due time reached the place, when he proceeded with his work, and Mrs. Gierhart employed herself with her needle and the care of their little child.  One of the mares had been belled and hobbled, and, with her mate, was permitted to range for such food as the woods afforded.  Thus the day nearly passed, and toward evening the sound of the bell had disappeared, and Mr. Gierhart, taking in his arms his little child, and leaving his wife under the shelter of a tree, started in search of his beasts.  His animals had wandered a much greater distance than he had supposed; but he finally recovered the one that had been hobbled, and, mountain it with his child, sat out on his return to his wife.  He had not traveled far before he discovered that he was unable to find the blazed timber; and concluded it the safer way to make for the Jerome Fork, where he would be enabled to intersect the trail that led from Martin Hester's to his land.  On his way he met an old hunter, named John McConnell gave it as his opinion that he could not that night reach the place, but proposed that he remain at the house of Mr. Hester, then not far distant, until morning.  On their way to Hester's, they struck the blazes which led to the place where he had parted with his wife; and, committing his child to the care of Mr. McConnell, with directions to leave it with Mrs. Hester, he determined, against the protest of Mr. Connell, who assured him of the impossibility of success, (as night was then rapidly approaching,) to go to the relief of his desolate wife.  He accordingly pressed forward on his way, guilded by the blazed trees, and continued until the darkness rendered the marks upon the trees undistinguishable.  Here was before him a "night of terror" indeed - such a son as he had never passed, and never dreamed that he would be called upon to pass.  The thought of a helpless wife, in the depth of a wilderness of which the savage beast was the almost undisputed monarch, and no possible hope of affording any relief before the dawn of another day, was enough to wring any soul with agony.  Despite the darkness, he plunged blindly forward a few rods in what he supposed might be the right direction, and then, impressed with the utter hopelessness of proceeding farther, halted; and, raising a voice, the power of which was made terrible by his agony, called to his wife.  Its echoes reached her, and were recognized. She sent forth her answer, but her voice having so much less compass than that of her husband, the sound did not reach his ear.  In his despair he laid himself down beside a tree, and maintained his sleepless vigils until the return of the morning, when he resumed his search, and finally came upon the trail he was seeking.  Pursuing it rapidly, he soon reached Mrs. Gierhart, who had wisely maintained her position throughout the night, notwithstanding the distraction of mind which her anxiety for the safety of her husband and child, her own lonely situation, and the distant howling of the wolves, were all calculated to inspire.  Some time after their joyful meeting, and while they were yet recounting to each other the experience of the preceding night, their ears were saluted by the blowing of horns, and soon they were met by neighbors, who had been alarmed by Mr. McConnell, and who had started forth at the first dawn of day in pursuit of the lost husband and wife.
( Source: A History of the Pioneer and Modern Times of Ashland County from The Earliest to the Present Date, by H. S. Knapp, Publ. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott & Co. - 1863.)
DR. SAMUEL GLASS was born in Wayne county, Ohio, April 14, 1818. In early life he possessed no advantages of education beyond the district schools. The first eighteen years of his life were occupied in clearing the forests and in farm labor. Wages were low, and it took a long time to accumulate sufficient money to enter upon a course of study. He grew up in habits of industry and frugality, and these habits became a part of his maturer years. His first effort was at school teaching. In 1840, he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Harrison Armstrong, of Hayesville, in this county, and in 1842 attended medical lectures at Cincinnati. In 1843, he opened an office in Mifflin, of this county, where he remained three years. In April, 1845, he married Miss Amanda A. Armentrout, of Hayesville, and opened an office in that place. In the winter of 1847-8, he attended a second course of lectures at Jefferson Medical college, Philadelphia, where he graduated. Shortly after his return, Dr. H. Armstrong retired from practice, and his son, Dr. David Armstrong, and Dr. S. Glass entered into partnership. This continued until the decease of Dr. Armstrong, which occurred in 1852. Dr. Glass continued in practice, a part of the time with Dr. Yocum, until he was elected State senator in 1861-2. He again resumed practice and continued until 1865, when he removed to Ashland, and formed a partnership with Dr. D. S. Sampsell in 1866, with whom he continued until his last illness. In the meantime he became a member of the Ohio State Medical association, and president of the Medical society of Ashland county. He died of congestion of the brain, February 26, 1873. Dr. Glass was a large, well-developed man, full six feet high, and would weigh about two hundred pounds. He had a large brain, a strong will, and tremendous endurance. He performed an uncommon amount of labor, in his practice, which was always quite extended. He accumulated a handsome fortune, and was esteemed a very thorough and successful physician. He was childless. His widow resides in Ashland.
Mohican Twp. -
JOSHUA R. GLENN and wife removed from Maryland to Mohican Township in 1818.  Three years subsequent he purchased, at the public land sales held at Wooster, the quarter in section 17 of the Indian Reservation, which he improved, and upon which he died Sept. 21, 1855, at the age of sixty-one years.
     Maj. John Glenn, Jun., brother of Joshua R., is now a resident of Mohican Township, and immigrated at the same time with the father's family.  His father (John Glenn, Sen., who died Feb. 16, 1852, at the age of eighty-four years) had purchased 175 acres in section 9 and 10.  Upon this land Maj. Glenn yet resides.  Himself and sister (Miss Elizabeth Glenn) are the only survivors of his father's family.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 412
M. R. GODFREY was born in Huron county, Ohio, August 3, 1842.  His father, William A. Godfrey, was born in New York State; his mother was also a native of the same State. They raised three children: Zera, who lives in Michigan; Elizabeth, who lives in Huron county; and Michael R., the subject of this sketch.  The latter enlisted in the Sixteenth Ohio volunteer infantry of the three months' service.  In October, 1864, he was married to Miss Delores Everet, and the day following his marriage he enlisted in the Twenty-ninth Ohio volunteer infantry, in which he served until the close of htewar.  To them have been born five children, as follows: Cora E., Ida May, William A., charles and Mabel
D. B. GRAY was born in Columbia county, Pennsylvania, July 9, 1813.  In 1847 he came to Ohio and settled in Ashland, from which point he run a stage line to Mansfield, Wooster, Oberlin, New London, and Shelby, for some twenty years, during the same time conducting a livery business at Ashland, at which he is still engaged.  He was married in 1849 to Catherine Stentz, of Ashland county, and has raised a family of seven children, all of whom are living.  They are Mary, Hattie, Nellie, Jennie, Will, Burr, and Addison.  Two are married - Hattie, who lives in Texas, and Mary, who lives in Illinois.  Will is a telegraph operator.
Mohican Twp. -
THOMAS GREEN, originally from Berkley County, Virginia, came to Mohican Township in 1813 - "forted," with his family, during a part of that year, at Jeromeville.  After leaving the fort, he settled in Orange Township.  AT this time the only two families in that township were those of Amos Norris and Vachel Metcalf.  The farm upon which he settled was north of Orange, and is now owned by Valentine and David Heifner.
    
His children were William, Jacob, Elizabeth, Abraham, George, Mariah, Solomon, John, Thomas, Sarah Ann, Julia, and Noah.
    
About 1817 Mr. Green removed to Jackson Township, and after residing there several years removed to Licking County, near the residence of several brothers, and where he died in teh spring of 1841.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 412
WILLIAM GREENLEE.  In the spring of 1811 Mr. Greenlee visited James L. Priest, a former neighbor, from Crawford county, Pennsylvania. Mr. Greenlee came by the way of Harrison county to Zanesville, then a new village, and up the banks of the Muskingum, the White-woman and the Lake fork on horseback. He found but few settlers between Mr. Priest and Zanesville. He selected and located a farm adjoining Mr. Priest, and returned for his family by the route he came. In October, 1811, he and his family, consisting of his wife, six daughters, and one son, started for the forests of Ohio. He had two teams, one with two and the other with four horses. The wagons were covered with linen canvas, and contained such household goods and provisions as were deemed essential to the comfort of a new settler. The route was through the village of Canton to what is now Wooster, and thence to the Lake fork. The trail was so narrow that Mr. Greenlee was compelled to widen it at many points before his teams could pass. His family slept in the wagons most of the way, doing their cooking by the side of the trail, nights and mornings. The route was wild and romantic, and it required some eight or ten days to complete the journey. He erected a plain log cabin, by the aid of Mr. Priest and a few friendly Indians, and moved into it. He resided on this farm until 1814, and sold it to Calvin Hibbard, father of Edward Hibbard, one of the first commissioners of Ashland county. He then purchased where  John Greenlee, his only son, now resides. When he landed in Lake, there were but the families of J. L. Priest, Samuel Marvin, William Hendrickson, Elijah Boiling and John Hendrickson, in what is now Washington township, Holmes county. The next settlement was that of the Odells, which contained the families of Joshua Oram, Thomas Oram, John Oram, and Mordecai Chilcote, near Odell's lake.
     On the morning of the tenth of September, 1813,. John Greenlee went in search of his father's horses, which had strayed in the direction of Odell's lake. About the middle of the day, a heavy, roaring sound was heard in the northwest, amid the forest. It resembled distant thunder, and he feared a tremendous tornado was approaching. What excited his surprise was, the sky was clear and cloudless, and the roaring seemed a phenomenon. In the afternoon he abandoned the search and returned home, convinced that a great storm was approaching. His parents and others had heard the same rumbling sound, and were unable to account for it. In a few days the little colony learned the particulars of the victory achieved by Commodore Perry over Commodore Barclay and the British fleet; and this accounted for the mysterious rumbling of the 10th. The sound of Perry's guns had been conveyed down the valleys, a distance of over seventy miles. It is related that the heavy cannonading was heard at Cleveland, about the same distance. Mr. Greenlee is a man of intelligence and unquestioned veracity, and relates the incident with minuteness and patriotic pride.
William Greenlee died in 1854, aged about eighty-two years.
HENRY GRINDLE emigrated from Somerset County, Pennsylvania, to Perry Township, in April, 1825. He died in December, 1832, aged forty-six years.
( Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 462)
Troy Twp.
JAMES GREGG, an emigrant from Ireland, in the autumn of 1829 removed to the farm now occupied by Wm. J. Vermillyae.  He subsequently purchased, in sections 1 and 2 in Clearcreek Township, four hundred and ninety-eight acres, upon which his sons Robert, Samuel, James, and Richard, now resides.  In the fall of 1852, Mr. Gregg died at the age of eighty-two years.
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 155)
Troy Twp.
JAMES GRIBBEN emigrated from Alleghany County, Pennsylvania, to Montgomery Township, in December, 1825.  His  family made a temporary home at the house of Andrew Stevenson, whose farm adjoined Abraham Huffman's, on the east.  His family at this time consisted of his wife and daughter Mary, and sons Richard A., John, and William.
     On the following February or March, he entered the east half of the northwest quarter of section 4, (containing one hundred and sixteen acres,) Clearcreek Township, to which place he removed with his family, on the 13th April, 1826.  He subsequently purchased the west half of the northeast quarter of the same section, and upon this land, which he redeemed from its wilderness condition, he has since resided.  When Mr. Gribben had erected his cabin, there was not a road in his part of the township, and so sparse was the settlement even at this comparatively late date, that the first female friend who visited Mrs. Gribben was in the October following the April of their first settlement.
     The second year of his residence in Clearcreek, he purchased as good wheat as he ever used for 37 cents per bushel; coffee, 50 cents per ob.; tea, $2.00 @ $2 per lb.; calico, 25 @ 40 cents per yard.
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 157)
JAMES GRINOLD, was born in Washington county, New York, May 26, 1814.  Removed to Belleville, Richland county, Ohio, in company with his brother Thomas, in 1828.  Resided there until 1830, then located in Berlin, Huron county, and in 1836 removed to Ruggles Corners, where his brother had settled a few months prior.  He married Sarah Taylor in 1837.  He is a cooper by trade, but is now a farmer.  He is an active Democratic partisan, and takes an influential part in the party.  He was deputy sheriff from 1852 to 1854.  Thomas became justice of the peace in 1836, and was defeated in 1839, political lines being closely drawn.  He deceased, of consumption, in October, 1846. James  at present resides at the Corners.  He has no children.
BENJAMIN GROSSCUP, son of Paul and Rebeccxa Grosscup, was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, Sept. 15, 1818.  Benjamin's father was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, in 1784, and his mother, whose maiden name was Rebecca Shearer, was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, in 1785, and died in 1859.  They were married in 1810.  Paul Grosscup removed to Milton township, Ashland county, Ohio, in 1830, with his family, consisting of five sons and two daughters, of whom two are now living - Benjamin and Daniel.  Benjamin owned the farm in Milton township, which he helped to clear, until 1872, when he removed to Ashland.  He was married in 1843 to Susannah Bowermaster, who was born Oct. 14, 1821, and came to Milton township with her parents in 1842.  Frederick Bowermaster, her father, was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, in 1782, and was married to Catharine Mohler, fo Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, who was born in 1782 and died in 1857.  They raised a family of four children, one son and three daughters.  Mr. Benjamin Grosscup has had four children: Lehman, who died; Peter S., born Feb. 15, 1852; Frederick P., born Apr. 5, 1854; Benjamin S., born Oct. 14, 1858.
 

 

CLICK HERE to Return to
ASHLAND COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

This Webpage has been created exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights