OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Ashland County, Ohio

BIOGRAPHIES

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M
N - OP - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - XYZ

< BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

JACOB BACORN, father of Mrs. Joseph Jones, was born in New Jersey, in 1785, and came to Ashland county in 1829, and settled on the farm now owned by Anderson Byers. He is a member of the Baptist church, and in politics is a Democrat. He married Phebe Harris, and is the father of eleven children, viz: Elizabeth, deceased, Mary, Sarah, deceased, Phebe Hannah, Nancy, Alcinda, wife of Joseph Jones, Jacob, deceased, Rebecca, William and John.
ABEL BAILEY was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, July 24, 1799.  In 1806, his father, in company with other emigrants, came down the Youghiogheny on a small faltboat to Pittsburgh.  The family of Mrs. Bryte, mother of John and the late David Bryte, were also in the company.  On departing from Pittsburgh, they attached the flat boat to one of the river boats, and descended the Ohio to Steubenville, and located about eight miles northwest of the village, where they remained until 109, when John Bailey and family located near New Lisbon and remained until 1816, and removed to Green township, Richland county, and settled near Honey creek.  Here the family remained until 1818, when John Bailey, father of Abel, purchased the southeast quarter of section fourteen, in Clearcreek township, and located upon it.  John Bailey and his son, Abel, visited and selected the quarter in 1817, one year prior to the removal.  John Bailey, sr., father of John Bailey, jr. who was the father of Abel Bailey, was of English descent, and served during the Revolutionary war, from Rhode Island, and located with his family in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, where he deceased.  John Bailey, father of Abel died in Richland county, whither he had removed, about 1850.  Mrs. Bailey died in Clearcreek at an advanced age.  Abel married Miss Acsah, daughter of John Murphy of Green township, in 1821, and in 1830 purchased the homestead in Clearcreek township of his father, and still resides thereon.  When the Baileys removed to Clearcreek in 181, they found the following pioneers in the township: Nathaniel Bailey, a brother of John who located in 1817, Abraham Huffman, John McWilliams, David Barnes, Isaac Vanmeter, Peter Vanostrand, Robert McBeth, James Haney and his sons, Richard, John and Thomas, Richard and john Freeborn, Thomas Munholland, Patrick Elliott, Jacob Foulk, Thomas Ford and his sons, Elijah, Elias, Thomas and John and John Bryte.  These settlers were much scattered.  The roads were mere paths, ill-worked, and, in set seasons, difficult to travel.  There were no churches or school-houses.  There were a few Baptists and Methodists.  Their meetings were held in the cabins of the pioneers for several years.  The meetings were held in the cabins of the pioneers for several years.  The forests of Clearcreek were very dense, and the timber very tall and off unusual size.  The first settlers performed a prodigy of labor in its removal.  Mr. Bailey says, "The task was absolutely disheartening."  By perseverance, however, fine farms were prepared, and many of the pioneers, now well advanced in age, are living in comfort and plenty.  He remembers vividly the scenes, ludicrous and otherwise, that occurred at the early cabin raisings, log rollings, and making roads.  Fired by corn whiskey, and an exuberance of animal spirits, the rugged pioneers were ambitious to excel in all that tested physical endurance and courage.  Very few of the first settlers remain.  Many of them have long since been gathered and garnered by the remorseless reaper.  Mr. Bailey has long been a member of the Baptist denomination, and assisted in the erection of the first church in Savannah, in 1840.   It is a neat frame, and in a good state of preservation.  Upon the introduction of the reform of Alexander Campbell, the church was greatly weakened, many of the members having connected with the new church.  The Baptists have no regular minister at present.  The members number about thirty.  The family of Mr. Bailey consists of Eli, of Van Wert, Ohio, and John of Savannah.  The daughters are Jane, wife of David Andrews, Ellen, wife of John Smith, and 'Aletha wife of Simon Stentz.  Mrs. Bailey died in 1873.  Mr. Bailey resides on the homestead.  He is in good health, and his memory unimpaired.
     Mr. Bailey relates that when he came to the township in 1818, deer were very plenty, and the hunters could easily procure an abundance of wild meat.  The most noted hunters of what is now Ashland county were Edward Wheeler, Elias Ford, James Kuykendall, Christopher Mykrants, Solomon Urie, John McConnell, and Jacob Young, most of whom are now deceased.  They hunted along the Vermillion river, the Black river, and on the Fire Lands of the Reserve.  At that time, large encampments of Wyandots and Delawares hunted annually along those streams, and frequently met and conversed with the white hunters.  The last deer was killed as late as 1845, within the present limits of Troy township.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio, by George William Hill, M.D. - Published by Williams Bros. 1880 - Page 154
Troy Twp.
ABEL BAILEY immigrated, with his father's family, consisting of five brothers and two sisters, to section 16, Green Township, in the spring of 1816.  The family originally emigrated from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, and, prior to their removal to Green Township, had resided two years in Jefferson, and seven years in Columbiana County, Ohio.
     From Green Township, the family, in 1818, removed to the southeast quarter of section 14, Clearcreek Township, which they purchased at the government land office.  In the fall of 1819, Mr. Abel Bailey (having in the mean time married) removed with his wife to the farm now owned by Mr. Stout, in Vermillion Township, on teh head waters of Honey Creek.  This land (being a quarter section) he purchased of his brother-in-law, John Murphy; and after having remained upon it four years, sold to George Hendrickson, and returned to Clearcreek Township upon the farm which he and his father originally purchased, and which he has since made his home.  This land was entered in the name of John Bailey (father of Abel), in the fall of 1815, several months prior to the residence of the family in Green Township.  Mr. Bailey's family, therefore, is identified with those who composed the very first settlers of Clearcreek.
     When Mr. Bailey first came to the township, the nearest mill was Shrimplin's, on Owl Creek, between thirty and forty miles distant, where all his breadstuffs were obtained.  Occasionally the stock of the neighborhood would become exhausted, when they would be compelled to boil the wheat and eat it in milk.
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 120)

BAPTISTE JEROME.  After he removed from Jeromeville, Mr. Jerome and Mr. Palmer were neighbors - the former being some three years and owner and occupant of the farm upon which was afterward the mill of Constance Lake, now better known as "Goudy's Mill."  He represents Mr. Jerome as a well-informed quiet, and orderly man.
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 287)

GEORGE W. BASFORD emigrated from Maryland to Mohican Township, in October, 1824, and established himself in a clothing establishment in the township of Jeromeville.  At this date his family consisted of his wife and an infant daughter.
Source #2 - : History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 405)
HENRY BAUGHMAN removed with his wife and one child to Montgomery Township, Apr. 1, 1814, and settled upon the southwest quarter of section 3, now owned by Michael Myers.  His nearest neighbors at this date were Messrs. Chandler and Naylor, the former of Perry, and the latter of Mohican Township.   In 1819, he purchased of Moses Riddle the farm he now occupies in Orange Township.
Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page  179
DANIEL BEACH was born in Warren, Litchfield county, Connecticut, March 16, 1785. In 1805 he came on foot to Canfield, Mahoning county, Ohio, and worked .one year, then returned and married Lorinda Sacket, January 1, 1810. He purchased two hundred acres of wild land in what is now Summit county, Ohio, to which he removed in 1811, coming the entire route with a yoke of oxen and one horse. In 1812 he was drafted in the. military service, and served near Fort Croghan six months. In 1823 he disposed of his farm and accompanied Bradford Sturtevant in search of a new home to Ruggles township, Huron, now Ashland county, and purchased, of Jessup & Wakeman, of Connecticut, one mile square of land in section three, he taking the west and smallest part. He returned, and in July, 1823, removed with his wife and five children—Cyrus, Reuben, Cordelia, Harriet, and Daniel, to his new home in the forest, about one mile west of what is now known as the corners. The paths in the forest were narrow, and required quite an effort to get over by teams. He had two yoke of oxen to haul his goods. He encamped one night in Medina county, and one night at Sullivan center. A man—Mr. John Soles—piloted him thence by way of New London. He encamped one night on the route in what is now Troy, and again at New London, and was just one week in reaching his forest home. Their first supper was cooked at the fire of a deserted Indian camp on the premises. The forest was dense, and it required years of unremitting toil to prepare the lands for culture. Mr. Beach was accompanied in his removal by Eleazer Sacket, a brother-in-law. He built a pole cabin, ten by fifteen feet, in which he resided until he built a log cabin. By fall he had cleared five acres, which he put in wheat. Other pioneers began to select lands, and Mr. Beach's cabin was frequently visited. In the winter of 1824 he hired hands, and cleared the timber from one hundred acres. In the spring he and Bradford Sturtevant returned to Tallmadge and purchased apple-trees for new orchards, some of which yet bear fruit. Mr. Beach, by industry and economy, accumulated a handsome property. In 1854 he divided his homestead between his two sons, Wakeman and William, and removed to Kent county, Michigan. Mrs. Beach died on a visit to Ruggles, at the residence of her son, Cyrus Beach, in November, 1856. Mr. Beach subsequently married Mrs. Frances Peck, widow of Tylor Peck. He died at his residence in Ruggles in May, 1862. He was remarkable for his habits of industry and enterprise. He was exact and careful in all his business transactions, and his integrity was never questioned. His children were Cyrus S., Reuben K., Harriet L., married to Rollin Curtiss, Daniel, deceased, Wakeman J., and Cordelia M., married to Isaac Cowell. Most of the family reside within Ruggles township, and are noted as farmers and stock growers. Wakeman Beach, born January 11, 1825, is believed to have been the first child born within the township. He resides on the old homestead west of the corners. I am indebted to him for the foregoing sketch.
Ruggles Twp.
DANIEL BEACH immigrated to Ruggles Township on the 2d of August, 1823.  He died in 1862.  His was the first family that settled in the township.  He was born in Connecticut..
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 540)
JOSEPH BECHTEL was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, Aug. 28, 1811, and came with his father's family, Peter Bechtel, sr., to Milton township, Richland, now Ashland, county, in 1824. His father located on the southeast quarter of section eighteen.  There were but fifty or sixty families in the township at that time.  The mother of Joseph Bechtel died in 1822 in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, and his father remained single.  He died in 1861, aged about eighty-five years.  His family consisted of Joseph Barbara, wife of Jacob Storer, and Jacob, who resides in Indiana.  Joseph married Magdalena Bauer in 1831, by whom he had the following children: Susannah, Peter, Mary, Catherine, and two sons and one daughter deceased.  One son died in Company K, One hundred and Second regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry, in the late war.  When the Bechtels located in Milton wild game, such as deer and turkeys, was abundant.  There was an occasional black bear to be found, and the shrill shriek of the panther was frequently heard in the forest.  Wolves were plenty, and very destructive upon sheep.  Wild hogs, springing form the domestic race, and escaping from their owners in search of mast were quite numerous, and when disturbed, very ferocious.  Mr. Bechtel states that about 1830 he was pursued in the night season through the forest by a panther, and it did not desist, although he carried a torch a good part of the way, until he was safely in his father's cabin.  He had, also, a fight in which he was severely wounded in the knee by a frantic boar, and will carry the scar to his grave.  He is now sixty-five years old and quite vigorous.  He states, in 1829, while wild game was yet plenty, he offered Frank Graham, then the principal merchant in Ashland, sixty pounds of good wheat for one-fourth of a pound of powder, and was refused.  Wheat had no market, but ammunition was cash.  About the same time, he hauled twenty-four bushels of good wheat, with a wagon and three horses, to Portland, now Sandusky, and was gone seven days, and stuck in the mud eight times, and obtained but three shilling - thirty-seven and one-half cents per bushel for his wheat.  About 1870 he sold his homestead and removed to Ashland, where he now resides.  He has been an active member of the United Brethren church about twenty-two yeas.  As a citizen, he is industrious, frugal and upright.  He has passed through all the states of pioneer life, and is now ready to be garnered with his fathers.  In 1879 Mr. Bechtel and lady removed to the State of Kansas to reside with a married daughter, and are enjoying fine health at the present writing, 1880.
(Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, by George William Hill, M.D. - Published by Williams Bros. 1880. - Page 262)
RICHARD BEER was born in Northampton county, Pennsylvania, November 21, 1796. His father, Thomas Beer, of Irish extraction, settled in that county in 1764. In 1800 he located in Allegheny county, where he resided, engaged in farming, twenty-one years. During this time he aided in clearing the Ohio river of drift, and other obstructions, to the mouth of the Beaver. In 1821 he located in Montgomery township, about two miles southwest of Uniontown, now Ashland. He was accompanied by a cousin, Richard Aten. He and Mr. Aten kept bachelor's hall about six years, doing their own cooking and housework. In the meantime, he made considerable improvements on his homestead, by erecting a comfortable dwelling, a barn and out-buildings, and clearing some forty acres of land.
     In 1827 he married Miss Jane Anderson, by whom he had seven children: Emma, Adeline, William A.,  Amanda, Thomas M., James, and Kate. James was killed in Virginia during the late war. The remaining members of the family, most of whom are married, reside in the vicinity of Ashland.
     When Mr. Beer arrived, in 1821, his nearest neighbors were Michael Thomas, C. Wheeler, Benjamin Shearer, Henry and Daniel Vantilburg, Joshua Brown, and Daniel Carter. Log-rollings, cabin-raisings, corn-huskings, flax-pullings, and scutchings, as well as linsey-woolsey clothing, corn-bread, pork, and venison, were the occupations, the clothing and the food, of the hardy pioneers. It was not uncommon, the first few years, to be so occupied five or six days each week at such gatherings. The nearest mill was Newman's, on the Black fork, to which Mr. Beer often resorted. He occasionally visited a mill, subsequently owned by Armstrong Meaner, in Green township. For many years wheat was cut with a sickle, and all the pioneers were expert in its use. In fact, it was not uncommon to find women in the field using the same instrument. In those days the fields were carefully gleaned and very little grain was left standing. When the stumps began to disappear, sickles were invaded and were gradually substituted by the grain-cradle. Mr. Beer says he owned the first grain cradle used in Montgomery township, over fifty years ago, on the farm of Joseph Sheets, where South Ashland now stands. It created quite a sensation among the old reapers, because he could cut a swath, equal to that of three reapers, with much ease. The surplus grain of this region was hauled to Milan for a market until about 1861, when the New York, Pennsylvania & Ohio railroad was completed, and a home market furnished.
     Mrs. Beer died in 1859, and Mr. Beer, now (1875,) aged seventy-nine years, resides in Ashland. He is quite vigorous; his mind is clear and vivacious; he loves a joke and abounds in humor. Like all his Scotch-Irish ancestors, he is much attached to the Presbyterian church, of which he is a member.
CAPTAIN ROBERT BEER. In the correspondence of the Pittsburgh Herald, we find the following concerning Captain Beer, who accompanied the expedition of Colonel Robert Crooks, in the war of 1812, to Upper Sandusky. The captain died about May 4, 1880, aged nearly ninety years.
     I've just had a conversation with Captain Robert Beer, one of our oldest and most respected citizens, who served his country in the war of 1812. In answer to my inquiries, he gave the following account of his trip from this city to Upper Sandusky, Ohio, and his return on foot the following winter of 1813-13:
     "About the first of November, 1812, the Government advertised for volunteer teamsters, having some thirty carriages (without cannon, however) and forty covered wagons to supply with drivers. As soon as a volunteer would sign the roll, he was ordered to go into a large yard, on Garrison alley, and bridle four horses. I was among the volunteers, being then an unsophisticated country boy of twenty years. (You will observe that I am now old enough to vote.) I was directed to hitch a team to a cannon-carriage, and drive over to the ground where the western penitentiary now stands. Here we were encamped for three weeks before we were ready to start. The road wagons were loaded with cannon-powder, clothing, and all kinds of government stores. These wagons were drawn by five, and sometimes by six, horses. All being in readiness, we started for General Harrison's winter quarters, at Upper Sandusky, Ohio. Colonel James Anderson was wagon-master; James McHenry, a bricklayer of our city, assistant wagon-master; Paul Anderson, forage-master; and Captain Gratiot had command of the train. To guard the teams and property, we had Captain Johnson and his company, from Greensburgh, now called Darlington, and half a company from Beaver county, under command of Lieutenant Walker, who was subsequently killed by the Indians.
     "The journey was through an almost unbroken wilderness, and its difficulties cannot be appreciated by the people of to-day. Ten miles was considered a good day's travel, and when the route was bad, as was frequently the case, we did not make more than six miles. It took us three days to go through Hahn's swamp, and had hard work to do it in that time. We would often stop for a day, and, mounting our horses, go miles away along paths, there being no wagon road, and return with our horses loaded with forage.
"At Canton we lay a whole week, repairing the wagons, shoeing the horses, and giving them much needed rest, and procuring a supply of foliage.
     "From Canton to Wooster it was thirty-five miles. At the latter place we found the first picketed fort. Mansfield, it may be said, ended the settlements in this direction. The only buildings were a fort, one tavern, one store, and one private house; We remained three days in Wooster to recruit our horses, repair damages and gather forage. Between Wooster and Mansfield we had a good deal of new road to cut, the old one being impassable for the train. This was slow work, as you can judge.
     "We were about two months on the road, and finally reached Upper Sandusky on New Year's day—and as cold a. day, by the way, as I ever experienced. We never saw a fire from sunrise till sunset, and to make the matter worse, we were but thinly clad at best. On our arrival we were ordered to ungear our horses and start with them for a small town on the Scioto river, called Franklinton, just across the river from Columbus. Corn was plenty and cheap in that neighborhood, and they wanted their horses to recruit there for the spring service.
     "Next day we started back to Upper Sandusky to get our money and be discharged from the service. There was no money thereto pay us with—not a dollar in the treasury—so they furnished us with tents and rations. We pitched our tents just outside the military lines, and for three weeks had nothing to occupy our time but eating and sleeping. At the end of this time Colonel Piatt, of Cincinnati, who was treasurer of the army, gave us our discharge and an order for our pay at the barracks in Pittsburgh. We hadn't a dollar towards paying our way home. They gave us rations to put in our knapsacks, but they got stale and unfit for use.
     "Of course, after we left our horses at Franklinton, we did all our traveling on foot. I cannot tell the distance from Franklinton to Upper Sandusky, but from the latter place to Mansfield was thirty-five miles. We all arrived in Pittsburgh safe and well, after a very fatiguing journey.
     "The Captain Gratiot I have mentioned was one of the engineer corps of the regular army, and an officer of high standing. Captain Wheaton was the paymaster; and a cross old chap he was. He carried a canteen of brandy slung round his neck, and sometimes he absorbed the brandy too freely.
     "I suppose I am entitled to a pension for my services in 1812, but I have not yet applied for one. I observe that some are drawing pensions whose term of service lasted only fourteen days. In "1856 I got a land warrant for one hundred and sixty acres of land."
     During a great part of his life he was engaged in building and running steamboats, and it is hardly necessary to say that his long record was spotless and unblemished. He retired from active business several years ago, and since then devoted his time to his private affairs.
WILLIAM BEER was born in Northampton county, Pennsylvania, near the New Jersey line, in 1794.  His father, Thomas Beer, served as a soldier in the American Revolution, and brought home from new Jersey a relic highly prized by his children,  and exhibited by Mr. Beer with especial interest.  It was an English bayonet, and had the words, "29 reg. 5 division, King George III," engraved on it.  It had evidently been left by one of the British soldiers, who fled or was killed during the battle.  His father removed with his family to Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, in the year 1800, where he resided twelve miles below Pittsburg, about thirty years.  Mr. Beer was of Irish descent.
     In 1825 he married Miss Mary Mann, and removed to Montgomery township, Richland (now Ashland) county, in 1832, and located on a quarter of land adjoining his brother Richard.  Here he resided about forty years and cheerfully submitted to all the toils of a pioneer in clearing up his homestead.  In 1867, he had the misfortune to lose, by death, his excellent lady.  His family consisted of Thomas, Quincy, Henry, Calvin, Serena, Sherman W. and B. F. BeerMr. Beer died Oct. 3, 1879.  The entire family, except Sherman W., preceded Mr. Beer to the grave.
     Mr. Beer possessed, to the last, all his mental faculties.  He was noted as retaining a most retentive memory for dates and events, and loved to dwell upon the border scenes of seventy or eighty years ago.  From the gravity of his manner and personal dignity, he was familiarly called "Judge."  Indeed, he was much more worthy such a promotion than many "limbs of the law," who preside over our courts.  He had long been a zealous and worthy member of the Presbyterian church, and illustrated the goodness of his heart by many acts of kindness to the poor and the orphan.  Though called suddenly to bid adieu to time and the scenes of earth, we cannot doubt his fitness for another and, we trust, a better world.  His cheerful face and kind words will greet us no more, but be embalmed in memory.  The tide waits for no man.  Soon the bell will toll a last farewell to the aged pioneers.  May they rest in peace.
Lake Twp. -
GEORGE BENDER immigrated to Lake Township in 1828, and purchased the land now occupied by his son, Martin Bender.  He continued his residence upon this land until his death, which occurred in June, 1859.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 386
PHILLIP BIDDINGER immigrated, with his family, consisting of his wife and one child, to Orange Township, in February, 1823.  He had several years previous emigrated from Virginia to Harrison County.  He now resides in Troy Township.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 505
JOHN BISHOP, in February, 1814, adopted Orange Township as his future home.  He was without wife, children, or money, and relied solely upon industrious and economical habits, and a vigorous constitution, for future success in life.  In 1817 he had accumulated sufficient to enable him to purchase the southeast quarter of section 21, now owned by John Finger.  This quarter he improved and occupied seven years, and, in 1824, purchased the farm now owned by Enos Rowley, and subsequently the farm upon which he at present resides, being two hundred acres, formerly owned by the late Daniel Campbell.  In 1819 Mr. Bishop married Miss Catharine, daughter of the late Jacob Hiffner, Sr.
    
The three white families residing in the township, in 1814, were those of Jacob Young, Amos Norris, and Vachel Metcalf.  There had not been a surveyed road in the township.  He carried the chain for the surveyor who established the first road, which led from Sheet's saw-mill, on the east line of Montgomery Township, via of Jacob Young's and Leidigh's mill to Savannah - although at that time there was no Sheets's or Leidigh's mills or town of Savannah.  Mr. Bishop was elected, at the first election held in Orange, constable for the township.  Where the town of Orange now stands, at a log-rolling he saw a span of horses, which had started for a runaway, arrested by the end of the chain, which was thrown into the air, striking a sapling so as instantly to enwrap its body and bring the team to "a dead halt."
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 505
GEORGE W. BOWERICE, was born in Frederick county, Maryland, Nov. 15, 1818, and came with his father, Christian Bowerice, to Orange township, Richland (now Ashland) county, in 1829.  He removed to Troy township in 1845.  He married Eva Stober, daughter of Jacob Stober, of Clearcreek.  Christian Bowrice, his father, also settled in Troy, and deceased September 3, 1866, aged seventy-three years.  Mrs. Bowerice died in October, 1869, aged seventy-two years.  George W. is their only son.  His family consists of six boys and three girls.  Mr. Bowerice is an intelligent farmer, and may be regarded as one of the pioneers of Troy.
Mifflin Twp. (Formerly the town of Petersburg)
DAVID BRADEN, an emigrant from Washington County, Pennsylvania, removed to Mifflin Township in the fall of 1815, and died the year following, at the age of 52.  His son, Solomon Braden, now resides in Green Township.
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 534)
Troy Twp.
JOHN BRYTE immigrated to Clearcreek Township in April, 1819.  He was at this time a boy of nineteen years of age, and had emigrated from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania.  He tarried a few days with his uncle, Nathaniel Bailey.  He worked four years as a jobber or laborer, and in this time cleared, unaided, one hundred acres of land, besides accomplishing considerable other labor.  The proceeds of this four years' of toil were one hundred dollars in cash, and a horse, saddle, and bridle, valued in those times at about forty dollars.  In 1824, he married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Ford.  With his brother-in-law, Elijah Ford, he conducted a distillery on section 16, and continued in this business two years, ending April, 1826.  This enterprise proved a failure, and he purchased of Patrick Miller, Washington County, Pennsylvania, fifty acres in section 26, (forming part of the farm upon which he now resides,) and in one day erected his cabin, and on the day following removed with his family into a house without floor or chimney.  Mr. Bryte was the first clerk of Clearcreek Township, and has since held several official positions of responsibility derived from his fellow-citizens, and from the Executive of Ohio, twice receiving the appointment of Director of the Ohio Central Lunatic Asylum.
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 121)
Perry Twp. -
HENRY BUFFAMYER imigrated to Perry Township in May 1826, and purchased of Joseph Carr the half section of land, parts of which are now owned by David and Matthew Buffamyer.  He died on the last day of March, 1849, aged eighty-six years.  His widow is at this time (January 23d, 1862) residing with her son, David, and although she has attained the age of eighty-one years, her health and faculties are but slightly impaired.
Source: History of Ashland Co., Ohio - Publ. 1863. - Page 440
THE BULL FAMILY.
HEZEKIAH BULL, born in Dublin, Ireland, came to America before the Revolution, and first settled in Hartford, Connecticut. He served one year in the Revolution, and after the Revolution engaged in business in Hartford, Connecticut, and became the owner of a vessel in the West India trade, in which business he continued until 1815, when he sold out his business, and in 1816 came to Canton, Ohio. Here he remained one year, then moved to Massillon, where he settled on the farm now owned by Kent Jervis, or his heirs, where he died in 1818. He married an English lady, and was the father of eight children, seven of whom came to Ohio. Caleb on the Spanish main; Hester, Maria Louisa, Jefferson and G. W. settled in Loudonville; Hoyland, in Tennessee, and Emily in California.
     G. W. BULL was born in Hartford, Connecticut, in 1799, and there received his education. When only eleven years old he went to sea, and followed a sailor's life about ten years, with an interval of one year. In 1820 he gave up a sea-faring life arid came to Ohio, and settled on a farm for a short time. In 1821 with Thomas Taylor, he built a flat-boat, loaded it with pork, hams, bacon and whiskey, then the products of the country, and started for New Orleans from a point near the iron bridge across the Black fork in Loudonville. The round trip took about three months. These trips he continued to make at intervals until 1832, when he abandoned the business, and settled on the farm now owned by Hon. J. W. Bull, in Hanover township, where he held the office of justice of the peace fifteen years, and was township trustee, clerk, and treasurer for a number of years. In politics he was a Democrat. In December, 1852, he died. In 1822 he married Nancy Farrquhr, who died in 1877. He was the father of ten children, seven of whom are still living, viz: John W., who married Nancy Watson, afterwards married Eliza J. Pippit; George F., who married Ann Menor, and lives in Ashland county, Ohio; Sarah J., wife of Abner Stutes, living in Cleveland, Ohio; Hester M. and Nancy E., both living in Ashland county; Emily U., wife of Mr. Hazelett, living in Michigan; and Phebe E., who lives in Loudonville.
     HON. JOHN W. BULL was born in Loudonville, Richland county, Ohio, August 16, 1824, and received a common school education. He worked on a farm until his twenty-seventh year, when he accepted a position as route agent on the Bellefontaine & Indiana railroad, and traveled between Galion and Indianapolis for nearly two years, when, in 1854, he was transferred to the Ohio & Indiana road, and traveled between Crestline and Chicago for four years. In 1861 he resigned his position as route agent, to accept the appointment of passenger conductor on the Pittsburgh, Ft. Wayne & Chicago railroad. This position he resigned to take charge of the Meyer house, in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. He gave up this business on account of the ill health of his wife, and in 1872 returned to Loudonville. In 1872 he served as mayor of the village, and as justice of the peace. He was elected to the Sixty-third general assembly by a majority of six hundred and seventy-two. He has always been an ultra Democrat, and from present indications will die in that faith. In 1847 he married Nancy Watson, of Loudonville, who died in 1851. In 1859 he married Eliza J. Pippet, and is the father of two children—one died in infancy, and Anna E. died when two years old.
Troy Twp.
JAMES BURGAN emigrated from Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and reached Vermillion, Clearcreek Twp., on the 12th March, 1826.  He was then without a family, and prosecuted his trade of black-smithing.  His prices for work were about the same, when he found the material, as those charged at present- but his iron cost him about double the rates at which it may now be obtained - his iron then costing him 12 1/2 cents and English steel 37 1/2 cents per pound; and his cash receipts for work were scarcely sufficient to pay for his stock.  Mr. Burgan discontinued his blacksmithing business in the spring of 1859, and purchased a farm of one hundred and forty-three acres, two miles south of Savannah, where he at present resides.
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 121)
Troy Twp.
DAVID BURNS purchased, in the year 1815, the land upon a portion of which he now resides.  This farm is the southwest quarter of section 23, Clearcreek Township.  At the same time, however, he entered the quarter which he subsequently sold to Thomas Carr, and which is now owned and occupied by David Shriver.
    
During the war of 1812, Mr. Burns served under Captain Abraham Martin, for a term of about six weeks, and was stationed at the Block House near Beam's Mill, on the Rocky Fork, abut three and a half miles east of Mansfield.  Having served the period above named, he was relieved by his brother Samuel, and David returned to his home in Guernsey County.
     In the spring of 1816, Mr. Burns, accompanied by his mother and sister, performed the journey on horseback fro Guernsey County to the land above described.  Here, in a small camp-house, one side being open, they made it their abode until after harvest.  On the morning following their first night's rest, the family, on rising, were greeted by an immense Indian near their door-way, who had apparently been waiting to make the acquaintance of his new neighbors.  The dogs, on discovering the strange man, assailed him with savage ferocity, and it was with difficulty that the united efforts of the family could restrain them from the palpably "overt act" upon the person of the visitor.
    When Mr. Burns removed hither, he had buried a wife and two children in Guernsey County - the three having died within eighteen months of each other.  In November, 1818, he was again united in marriage to Miss Mary Buchanan, by whom he has had four sons, namely: John, Denny, William, and James.  This family are all living, except John and Denny
     The nearest mill, from which he could obtain supplies of ground grain, was Odell's in Wayne County - a distance of thirty miles, which was performed on horseback, and the grain and flour being conveyed on pack-horses.  Some years later he was accommodated at Mason's (Leidigh's) mill.
( Source *2: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 122)
Vermillion Twp. -
STERLING G. BUSHNELL immigrated to the farm now occupied by his son Thomas, one mile east of Hayesville, May 20, 1821.  The family of sons and daughters then consisted of William, Sedelia, Collins, Jotham, Huldah, Rosella, Homer, Olive, and Thomas.
    
At this date (1821) the place now occupied by the original town of Hayesville was an entire wilderness, without a dwelling or family.  Linus Hayes dwelt in a log cabin on the site now occupied by his widow on the main street, and which was subsequently embraced in addition to the town.
     About 1823 or 1824 a very small cabin and blacksmith-shop were erected on the lot now owned by Dr. Armstrong, on the northwest corner of the principal streets.  These buildings (if they could be dignified with the name) were the first erected within what was the original town.  The first building in which goods were sold was upon the same lot, erected by Mr. John Cox, who filled it with the first stock of goods that were brought to the town.
     The first wheat, within the recollection of Mr. Bushnell, offered for cash, was about 1822 or 1823, at the mill built by Lake and Bentley, and at the time referred to owned by Lake and Larwill, and which mill was better known in recent times as Goudy's mill, in the southeast part of Vermillion Township.  One hundred bushels were offered on this occasion for twenty-five dollars, but Mr. Bushnell is not positive whether the offer was accepted.
( Source: History of Ashland County, Ohio - publ. 1863 - Page 274) 

 

CLICK HERE to Return to
ASHLAND COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

This Webpage has been created exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights