OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


WELCOME
to
ADAMS COUNTY, OHIO
HISTORY & GENEALOGY
 



BIOGRAPHIES

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
REV. ELI PURCHAS ADAMS, born June 24, 1814, in Washington County, is a son of Isaac and Dorcas Adams.  He graduated at Marietta College in 1842.  For two years after this he engaged in teaching school.  In 1844, he entered Lane Seminary, then under the presidency of Rev. Lyman Beecher.  he studied here two years, but was unable to complete his course on account of poor health.  In 1846, he went to Helena, Kentucky, fifteen miles from Maysville, and taught a school there until 1859.  On July 2, 1846, he was married to Martha Slack, daughter of Col. Jacob Slack, of Mason County, Ky.  He had two children of this marriage, one died August 20, 1853, and its mother ten days later.  The remaining child died January 15, 1858.  He was ordained by Harmony Presbytery in Kentucky in 1853.  On March 19, 1856, he was married to Miss Lucy A. Bartlett, of Marietta, Ohio, the daughter of a prominent Congregational minister, a lady eminently fitted for the difficult position of a minister's wife.  Of this marriage there were eight children, six sons and two daughters.  One son, William N., died in childhood.  The others are living.  Francis Bartlett Adams is a farmer in the same place.  Gilbert Purchas Adams is a farmer near Vanceburg, Ky., and Charles Baird Adams, a physician at the same place.  Elizabeth Loughry Adams, a daughter, was a teacher at Vanceburg, Ky.  She was married Nov. 5, 1896, to Scott McGovney Foster, of Sandy Springs, Adams County.  Alfred Hamilton Adams, a son, lost both his feet alighting from a freight train.  Rev. Adams' daughter, Margaret Alice, lived until June 6, 1886, when she was downed in the Ohio River by falling from a steamboat.  She was then in her twenty-eighth year.  She had a lovely Christian character and was her father's right hand in church and Sabbath school work.  She had been a teacher of music for several years and was most highly esteemed by all who knew her.
     In May, 1859, Rev. Adams  was called to the churches of Rome and Sandy Springs.  Here his life work was done.  He was pastor of these churches until 1873, when he was called to Hanging Rock for two years, and for three yeas he resided on his farm below Vanceburg, Ky.  He returned to Sandy Springs in 1878 and continu7ed his work there until 1895 when the infirmities of age compelled him to retire.  In January, 1899, when he was taken with what proved to be his last illness.  He survived till March 15, 1899, when he passed away in peace.  He realized that his sickness was his last.  He said his work was done and only regretted that it was not better done.  His faith was firm and his hope assured.  He was beyond all troubles and his last hours were in the Peace of God.  His life had been one of trial and privation, of many disappointments, and of much affliction and sorrow, but in the midst of all of them, his Christian virtues shone out with a resplendence which called forth the admiration of all who knew him.  The memory of his labors should be preserved to all who follow him, and while remembered, will be a Beacon Light pointing to the Savior of Men as his Guide and Master.
     One who was his pupil for two and a half years, and who is a man well advanced in life, says of him that he had a fine tact for instructing others, occupied the first rank as an educator, and as the principal of an academy of Kentucky, did much to fit young persons for a college curse and impress is own well rounded Christian character upon their minds.
     A clergyman who knew him, says he was of a quiet and retiring disposition, but under pressure of duty and in behalf of right, was persistent and unflinching.  He was a Christian man, well versed in the Bible.  His piety was scriptural, enlightened and stable.  His life was pure and honest, characterized by uniform gentleness and kindness.  As a preacher, he was thoroughly orthodox and his sermons were instructive.
(Source 1: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers – West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 676)
CAREY C. ALEXANDER of Eckmansville, was born on the farm where he now resides, June 1, 1852.  His father was Samuel Alexander, a son of James Alexander, a native of Fincastle, Virginia, who first came to Lexington, Kentucky, in the early days and afterwards to Adams County.  He married Mary John, a member of an old Virginia family.  James Alexander was born June 22, 1791, and died March 3, 1852.  Their son, Samuel, was born in Virginia, April 3, 1815, and came to Adams County with his parents making the trip overland in wagons.  He married Miss Elizabeth Robe, daughter of David Robe, of Scotch ancestry, of Hills Fork.  She was born Feb. 14, 1819.
     Cary C. Alexander was reared on a farm, but having a natural talent for music has given much time to the cultivation of that faculty.  He has taught vocal and instrumental music for many years with great success.  He married Miss Mary Allison, a daughter of John Allison, of Cherry Fork, Feb. 26, 1877.  Their children inherit musical talent, and with their father maintain a fine orchestra.  They are Roscoe, Bessie, Ralph, Florence, Charles, Delbert and Lester.
     Mr. Alexander
is a member of the Presbyterian Church and an elder in that organization.  He is Sunday school superintendent and choir leader at Eckmansville.  He is also a member of Sunbeam Lodge, No. 631, K. of P., at Cherry Fork.
(Source 1: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers – West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 678)
 
JAMES ALLISON, of Seaman, Adams County, Ohio, is one of the most progressive and successful farmers of Scott Township.  He is a man whose excellent judgment, strong common sense and good business qualities are recognized by all.  He comes of an old and prominent Pennsylvania family, and was born in that State on the second of October, 1831.  His father, David Allison, as well as his mother, whose maiden name was Lucette Andre McKibben, were natives of Pennsylvania.  They reared eight children, five sons and three daughters, of whom our subject was the third.  David Allison was a farmer all his life and lived to a ripe old age.
     James Allison received his early education in the district school in the primitive school building at Cedar Springs, Clinton County, Pennsylvania.  He early turned his attention to farming which he had determined should be his life work, and ever since, he has been active and energetic in this occupation, except two years in which he was engaged in the mercantile business.
     On October 14, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Seventh Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, as a Private, and was afterwards promoted Second Sergeant of his company, and in May, 1862, was promoted to First Lieutenant.  He served with distinction and participated in the battles of Lebanon, Tennessee, and of Stone River, at Murfreesboro.  In the latter battle in the cavalry, his horse fell and disabled him so he was sent to the hospital, and while there, were stricken with typhoid pneumonia, and as a consequence, was discharged for disability, May 3, 1863.  In one of the charges made by his regiment there was captured a Confederate flag, which Mr. Allison obtained and keeps as a trophy.
     He has always been a Republican in his political views, but has never sought or held any office, either in township or county.  He is an earnest thinker, however, on political questions, a strong advocate of advanced political thought, and is alive to the interests and welfare of his county and community.
     On the twenty-eighth of November, 1865, he was married to Miss Sarah E. McDowell, of Centre County, Pennsylvania.  Mrs. Allison is a woman of many fine qualities and ably performs her duties as wife and mother.  She is an earnest, consistent, Christian woman, and a faithful worker in the Presbyterian Church of Seaman.  She was born in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, January 19, 1845, the second daughter of P. W. and Kathrene McDowell, the latter of whom died November 5, 1897, at the age of seventy-eight.  Her father is living and well at the age of eighty-two, is active and energetic, an old-fashioned Jacksonian Democrat and one of Central Pennsylvania's most substantial citizens.
     Mr. and Mrs. Allison resided in Pennsylvania for three years after their marriage, and then removed to Adams County in 1869, where he purchased a farm on the West Fork of Brush Creek in Scott Township, which is the very best in the township. It is bountifully supplied with running water and everything about the place indicates that the owner is a man of enterprise and progress.  They lived on this farm from 1869 until 1896, when they purchased a home in the village of Seaman, which they remodeled and beautified and reside there in great comfort.  Mr. Allison owns another farm of one hundred and eighty acres in Oliver Township.  Their children are Kate Conley, wife of Dr. John S. Montgomery, of Huntsville, Logan County, Ohio; David M., who is in the hardware and implement business at Seaman, a very industrious and energetic young man; Nettie Andre, wife of Oscar McCreight.  They reside on the home farm.  Mrs. Montgomery has two sons, Willard Allison, and John McDowell.
     Mr. Allison
is highly esteemed in the community and is honored and respected by all.
(Source 1: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers – West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - 675)
JOHN BRATTON ALLISON, is a native of Meigs Township in Adams County.  He was born March 30, 1837.  His father was Samuel Allison, a native of Hancock County, Pennsylvania.  He came to Carmel, in Highland County, and located there.  His mother was Elizabeth Bratton, a sister of John Bratton, for whom Bratton Township was named.  Her father, Jacob Bratton, was one of the first settlers of Adams county.  His widow, Elizabeth, died April 19, 1836, in the ninety-fourth year of her age.  Samuel Allison had six children:  one son, our subject, and five daughters, who lived to maturity.  Two children died in infancy.  R. H. W. Peterson married Elizabeth Allison, the youngest one of the daughters.  Dick Thompson married Mary Jane, another daughter; and Susan, the third daughter, married Joseph Andrews, Angeline, the second daughter, married Jacob Ogle, of Illinois.  Evaline, the eldest daughter, married Jeremiah M. Hibbs, and moved to Missouri in 1852.
     Our subject received a common school education, and none other.  In 1849, he began to learn the tanner's trade with Townsend Enos Reed, and remained with him until March, 1855, at Marble Furnace.  In 1855, he went upon the farm which he now owns and on which he now lives, and worked for his uncle, John Bratton, who then owned the farm, as a hand at thirteen dollars per month, until 1859.  In that year, on November 3, he married Miss Hannah S. Hughes, daughter of Peter Hughes, and continued to reside on the farm of his uncle, John Bratton, for $6,860, and resided there ever since.  From 1859 to 1876, he had the farm rented. 
     There have been three sons of this marriage.  John F., the eldest, attended the St. Louis University in 1878 and 1879.  He afterwards engaged in the hardware business at Hillsboro from 1888 to 1892.  Since the latter date he has been a farmer in Hardin County, Ohio.  He married Miss Lizzie Kennedy, of New York, Charles C., the second son, graduated in the college course in St. Mary's school, in Kansas City, in 1884, and taught in the vicinity of his home for two years.  He read medicine with Dr. Berry, at Locust Grove, who pronounced him one of the best students he had ever known.  He graduated from the Louisville Medical College.  He then took employment on the steamer Obdam, plying between New York and Amsterdam, and made several voyages.  He, however, resigned this in a short time, and located as a physician and surgeon at Omaha, and has attained a high position in his profession.  He fills two chairs at the Omaha Medical Colleges; he also has a chair and is a lecturer at Creighton Medical College.  He has had charge of the Presbyterian Hospital there; and has been connected with St. Joseph's Hospital, in the same place.  He married Miss Catharine Creighton and is now one of the leading physicians and surgeons in Nebraska.
     James B., the third son, graduated at St. Mary's School, in Kansas City, in 1888; after that, he was in the clothing business in Hillsboro from 1889 to 1891.  In the latter year, he went to Helena, Montana, and engaged in the same business.  While here, he acted as Deputy United States Marshal part of the time; and on one occasion took seen Chinese prisoners to California.  HE settled in the year 1894 at Chinook, Montana, and from there went to St. Paul, Minnesota, where he now resides and is engaged in the mercantile business.  He married Miss Mary Inglebrand, of Hillsboro.
     Mr. Allison, our subject, was County Commissioner of Adams County from 1872 and 1875, during the famous county seat contest, and stood for West Union as against Manchester.  He has been a township trustee and a school trustee for many years.  He has one of the best cared for and most valuable farms in Adams County.  It is a delight to look upon.  Mr. Allison is a man agreeable to meet.  He is very tall, with a large frame and commanding presence.  He carries his years lightly, and looks several years younger that he is.
(Source 1: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers – West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 680)
JOHN AMEN was born Apr. 9, 1799, in Botecourt Co., Virginia.  He was the oldest son of Daniel and Katherine (Heistand) Amen.  He, with his parents, came to Ohio about the year 1808.  They traveled in a four-horse wagon.  They settled in Highland Co., near East Monroe.  They lived there a few years when his father bought some land a mile south of Sinking Springs in Adams Co., and built the stone house that still stands there, and removed to it in about 1812.  There the boy, John, lived until he was grown.  He attended district school in winter time.  His was a rather hard and uneventful life.  When twelve years of age, he drove a team of four horses and sometimes oxen, hauling pig iron from Marble Furnace to the Rapids Forge, a foundry owned by John Benner, near Bainbridge, a distance of twenty miles, starting at four o'clock in the morning and returning the same day or night.  His life was all work, no play.  When twenty-one years old, he left home to work in the store of his brother-in-law, David Johnson, at Georgetown, for the sum of four dollars a month and his board.  He saved his earnings and when twenty-four years old, he married Melinda Craighead, the daughter of a well-to-do farmer living two miles from Georgetown.  Mr. Craighead was a Kentuckian with aristocratic notions.  He thought the young clerk was no match for his daughter, but the young people were married, making the trip to the minister's both riding horseback on one horse.  Soon after their marriage, they went to the old stone house, making their home with his parents for several months, until a cabin was built for them on a farm owned by Daniel Amen, two miles north of Sinking Springs, where they lived and worked about six years, when, on account of failing health, he and family came to Sinking Springs, where he engaged in business for more than thirty years, enjoying the quiet village life.  He was a great reader.   Though very economical, he did not stint himself or family in reading matter.  In politics, he felt a great interest, but had no desire for office.  He was an Abolitionist when it was dangerous to own being a friend to the slave people.  His house was a station on the underground railroad from which no slave was ever caught.  He was fearless when he knew he was right.  On one occasion, a family of seven slaves were brought into the community.  A large reward was offered, and the pursuers or slave catchers were close behind them.  Fearing to trust his son or any young person to carry them on, he had two fiery horses hitched to a covered wagon, and although he was a small man, and alone, drove away just after dark, loaded the family in the wagon and hurriedly drove them to Marshall, eight miles north, when another party took charge of them.  He used to boast he had helped more slaves to liberty than any one else near, and that he never had one captured in his charge.  He was a member of the Presbyterian Church and held the office of deacon for sixty years.  In the year 1865, his wife died.  After her death, he sold his old home and went to reside with his three married daughters, all of whom lived in Portsmouth, Ohio.  He had one son, Daniel, who died, when thirty years of age, leaving two sons.  The oldest, Harlan P. Amen, is president of Phillips Exeter Academy, New Hampshire, and the younger son, J. J. Amen, is a prosperous business man in Missouri Valley, Iowa.
     The last four years of John Amen's life were spent at South Salem, Ohio, at the home of his eldest daughter, Mrs. E. McColm, who had removed from Portsmouth.  He died at the age of eighty-eight, on Dec. 27, 1887.  Unto the last week of his life, he read the daily papers with all the interest of a young person.  His last vote was for Governor Foraker.  The fall before he died, he was taken to the election by a grand-daughter.  He was proud he had helped to elect the Highland County boy for Governor.  His daughters are all living, Mrs. McColm in Norfolk, Nebraska; Mrs. P. J. Reed, in Cody, Neb., and Mrs. C. Gillilan at Sinking Springs, Highland Co., Ohio.
(Source:  History of Adams County, Ohio from its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers - West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 ~ Page 503)
IRWIN M. ANDERSON, a resident of Clyde, Ohio, was born August 7, 1845, at West Union.  His father was James Anderson, who was a separate sketch herein.  Irwin Anderson went to school at West Union in the old stone schoolhouse which stood where the house occupied by John Knox now stands.
     In June, 1863, he enlisted in Company G, 129th O. V. I., and served until the eighth of March following.  He enlisted Aug. 25, 1864, in the Seventh Ohio Cavalry, and was mustered out with the company, July 1, 1865.  In both services he was in the campaigns about East Tennessee.  He was in the affair at Cumberland Gap on September 9, 1863; in Burnside's campaign against Longstreet that fall and winter.  He was engaged in the siege of Knoxville in the Fall of 1864, and was in the battles of Franklin and Nashville, Tennessee; Pulaski, Tennessee; Plantersville and Selma, Alabama, in 1865.  After the war was over, he went to school in Xenia, Ohio, in 1865, and 1866.  He then located in Mexico, Missouri, and was in the west and southwest from 1866 to 1870.  In the latter year, he located in Camden, Ohio.  He was married Oct. 14, 1873, to Miss Emma J. Smith, of Oxford, Ohio.  He resided there until 1877.  In that year, he located in Mansfield, Ohio, and worked for the Aultman-Taylor Company.  He resided in Marion from 1880 to 1883, when he located in Clyde, Ohio, which has since been his home.  His wife died May 10, 1895.  He has six children, five sons and a daughter.  His son, Carl J., is an artist in Springfield, Ohio, and illustrates the "Woman's Home Companion."  His daughter, Stella, lives in Chicago with her brothers.  Sherwood is a bookkeeper in Chicago, as is his son Irwin.  His son, Ray, is a student and his son, Earl, is in an art school there.  They all reside at No. 1036 Adams Street, and the sister keeps house for them.
     Mr. Anderson takes a great interest in army organizations.  For four years he has been engaged in preparing entertainments for various Grand Army Posts.  He possesses considerable dramatic talent, and has been very successful in his work.
(Source 1: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers – West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - 677)

JAMES ANDERSON.  Of all the men who have lived in Adams County, none has enjoyed this life more or made it more pleasing to those around him than the subject of this sketch.  James Anderson may have had fits of bad temper, but the writer never saw him in one or ever heard of him having one.  He was always brimful and running over with good humor.  He always persisted in looking at the bright and cheerful side of things and was always ready to laugh and to make those about him laugh.  Trouble rolled away from him like water rolls away from a duck’s feathers.  The writer never new him until he was between fifty and sixty years of age and the foregoing describes him then.  His acquaintance from twenty-five to fifty would have been precious and valuable.  He was a man to drive away despondency and to lift the world up.  He had the keenest sense of humor of any man of his time in the county and yet he met and performed all the serious duties of life as a man and Christian should.  Nature endowed him with great natural and physical vigor and he never wasted any of it, but expended it in proper channels.
     He was born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, Mar. 1, 1796.  His parents brought him to Adams County in 1807.  They took up their residence one mile north of west Union and there he resided until 1866 when he removed to Sardinia where he made his home until his death, May 11, 1886.  His father was Robert Anderson and his mother was Elizabeth Dickey, both from Cumberland Co., Penn.   His father and mother died in Adams Co. and are buried in the old Trotter graveyard near the Wilson Children’s Home.
     Mr. Anderson was married June, 2, 1831, to Mary Baird, sister of Robinson Baird, and daughter of James Baird, a brother of Judge Moses Baird.  She only survived until May 7, 1840.  By his wife, Mr. Anderson had the following children:  George Washington¸who married a daughter of Wade Baldridge; James Newton, William Henry, John, Elizabeth, and Mary.  Washington is deceased.  His widow and family reside at Webb City, Missouri.  James Newton resides in Tulare, California; Elizabeth is the wife of Dr. Theo. Smith, of the same place.  Mary is deceased.  She died at Santa Cruz, Cal.  Col. William H. died at McLean Co., Ill.
     On Nov. 7, 1844, he was married to Isabella Bryan Huggins¸ widow of Zimri Huggins.  She had the following children by her first marriage: Nelson A., and Herman W.
    
To the last marriage were born the following children:  Irwin M.; Benjamin Dickey, born Jun. 8, 1847, residing at Santa Cruz, Cal.; and Martha Caroline, born Feb. 12, 1850.  She married J. Porter McGovney.  He died and she married Frank Major.  They reside at Salmon City, Idaho.
     Mr. and Mrs. Anderson reared the three sets of children without a jar.  They all got along happily together.  Mrs. Anderson had the same happy and genial disposition as her husband.  When the furnaces were opened in Adams County, Mr. Anderson did a great deal of work for them in hauling iron to the river and supplies to the furnaces.  He was a man never ambitious for public honors or offices, but he had a prominent place in the militia because his talents deserved it.
     On June 26, 1838, he was commissioned by Governor Vance as Major of the Fist Cavalry Regiment, First Brigade, Eighth Division of the Ohio Militia, and on Aug. 1, 1839, he was commissioned by Governor Shannon as Lieutenant-Colonel of the same regiment.  When it is remembered that he was elected to those positions by those who knew him best, the honor will be ore appreciated.
     In 1862, he was selected as Captain of the “Squirrel Hunters” and took his company to Aberdeen to repel Morgan’s Raid.  James Anderson had a wonderful memory.  He could remember every incident of his life and everything which had ever been told him.  He was fond of telling of David Bradford’s celebrated drive down the Dunbarton Hill.  Bradford, who had a coach at Dunbarton, just repaired, wanted it down at the Sample Tavern at the foot of the hill.  It was winter and the hill was covered with ice.  He hitched two horses to the coach in front of the tongue and drove them from Dunbarton down the hill to the Sample Tavern.  Bradford said it was a poor horse that could to keep out of the way of a coach.  While Mr. Anderson was fond of telling humorous stories, yet he was a most earnest and conscientious man.  He was anti-slavery.  He was first a Whig and afterward a Republican.  He was brought up an Associate Reform Presbyterian and adhered to that faith all his life.  He was an elder for over thirty years.  As a farmer, he lived comfortably and easy.  He was not the man to worry himself to make money.  He was honest and honorable in all his dealings.  His life was a more valuable lesson than that taught by the Greek Philosophers, for he was up to their ideas and was a Christian beside.  In August, 1886, his widow removed to California, where her son, Benjamin D., resides.  She was born July 2, 1806, and died May 6, 1896.
(Source:  History of Adams County, Ohio from its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers - West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 ~ Page 504)

COL. JAMES ARBUTHNOT was born at Greenfield, Ohio, Sept. 3, 1841.  He served seventeen months as an enlisted man in Company E, 91st O. V. I.  He was made Second Lieutenant of the 19th U. S. Infantry, Dec. 18, 1853, and was afterwards promoted to First Lieutenant and Adjutant of his regiment.  He was badly wounded at the battle of the "Mine" in front of Petersburg, Virginia, July 30, 1864.  He resigned Jan. 23, 1866, and at once moved to Brookfield, Missouri, and engaged in farming.  He studied law in the office of Judge W. H. Bromler and Hon. S. P. Huston, of Brookfield, Missouri, and since his admission has been engaged in the practice of his profession except from 1883 to 1885, when he was postmaster at Brookfield.  He was elected Representative from Linn County, in the Thirty-fourth General Assembly of Missouri in 1866 as a Republican when the county was strongly Democratic.  He served three terms as City Attorney of Brookfield, at the time the city was establishing electric lights and waterworks.  In 1882, he organized a company of National Guards at Brookfield, Missouri, and was Captain for several years.  His company completed in a number of prize drills and never failed to take the prize.
     In 1891, in the organization of the Fourth Regiment of Missouri National Guards, he was elected Colonel and held that position until he resigned.  The regiment he organized went into the service of trhe United States during the Spanish War.
     On the third of July, 1867, he was married to Sarah E. Beemer.  He has been for thirty-two years a member of the Presbyterian Church at Brookfield, Missouri, in which his wife and five children are all members. 
     He is an intelligent and high-minded man of unusual attainments and breadth of knowledge.  He has taken, and takes, an active interest in public affairs, and is a walking encyclopedia of political and military information.  He was the most perfect type of an officer and soldier in the Civil War.  He was never known to use an improper or profane word.  He was always ready for any emergency.  In the presence of the enemy, he was as brave as the best soldier or officer who ever adorned the pages of history.  With the battle once over, he was as tender and sympathetic with the wounded, friend or foe, as any woman.  He was honorable in all his dealings with his fellow officers and scorned all intrigues and subterfuges so common in the army.  He never failed in the performance of any duty assigned to him.  He has gallant, brave and honorable, withy emphasis on all the terms.  The qualities of his soul were tested severely and many times in his army service and the qualities ascribed to him always appeared.  As he was in the army, so he has been ever since, and the people of Adams County can always feel proud of the life record Colonel Arbuthnot has made.
(Source 1: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers – West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - 678)

REV. JAMES ARBUTHNOT was born in Armstrong Co., Penn., Dec. 1, 1796.  His father, James Arbuthnot, came from Scotland when quite young and married Mary White, whose parents came from North Ireland.  James Arbuthnot grew up to manhood on a farm in Ohio Co., W. Va., graduated from Jefferson College in 1820; attended the Theological Seminary at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and was licensed to preach by the U. P. Presbytery of St. Clairsville, Ohio, in 1823.  He commenced his ministerial work at New Athens, Harrison Co., Ohio, the same year and organized the academy at that place which in a short time grew into a college.  In 1827, he moved to Savannah, now in Ashland Co., Ohio, where he preached until 1840 when he moved to Greenfield, Ohio, and preached half the time there and the balance of the time at Fall ‘Creek until 1851 when he moved to North Liberty, Adams Co., where he founded the North Liberty Academy.  He remained at North Liberty until 1854, when he moved to North Liberty, Adams Co., where he founded the North Liberty Academy.  He remained at North Liberty until 1854, when he moved to Unity in the same county and was pastor of the U. P. Church there for twenty years until compelled to quit preaching on account of old age.  He was married Dec. 30, 1823, to Eliza Armstrong, who died Apr. 23, 1846.  To this union there were born ten children, nine daughters and one son, namely: Nancy, Frances M., afterwards married to George M. Thurman; Ann E., afterwards married to Dr. W. P. Spurgen; Maria, Clara N., Ada, afterwards wife of Rev. J. G. McKee; Mary, Celia, afterwards wife of A. R. Clark; Sarah J. and James A.  The daughters are all dead and his only surviving child is Col. James A. Arbuthnot, of Brookfield, Mo.
     Rev. James Arbuthnot died at his home at Unity, Apr. 18, 1880, in his eighty-fourth year.  HE was a man of strong convictions and would never consent to compromise anything which he felt to be right.  He was one of the original Free soilers and voted for Binney & Hale as the Free Soil candidates for President.  Rev. D. McDill, D. D., said of him:  “He was a wise, good, unassuming, godly man.  He made no claims to oratory, but in preaching, spoke plainly and deliberately.  His sermons were instructive and edifying.  All who knew him recognized his sincerity and goodness.”
     Rev. James Arabuthnot married for a second wife Mrs. Mary Watt, in 1848, who died in 1876.  She had a daughter who married Rev. N. R. Kirkpatrick at Ada, Ohio, and another who married R. P. Finley, of Youngsville, Ohio.
(Source:  History of Adams County, Ohio from its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers - West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900
~ Page 506)

EZEKIEL ARNOLD, farmer, of Locust Grove, was born Dec. 23, 1833, near Locust Grove, in Adams County, Ohio, the son of Josephus Arnold and Kate Pemberton, his wife.  Josephus Arnold was born in 1788, on Long Island, in the state of New York.  He learned the trade of shoemaking.  He was in the War of 1812, having enlisted from New York City.  He served there, and directly after the war came to Adams County.  He married Kate Pemberton on July 16, 1828, the daughter of William Pemberton, who was born in 1750, in Culpeper County, Virginia.  Josephus Arnold and wife had three children, Ezekiel and Mansfield, sons, and Indiana, a daughter, all of whom are living at or near Locust Grove.  Ezekiel, our subject, was born Dec. 23, 1833, near Locust Grove, and has resided there ever since.  His mother was born Jan. 10, 1795, and died Sept. 30, 1889.
     He attended the common schools, and was trained to be a farmer, which occupation he has followed all his life.  His father, Josephus Arnold, died on April 10, 1858, at the age of sixty-nine years.  On August 30, 1862, our subject enlisted, at the age of thirty, in Company E, 177th O. V. I., Captain James A. Murphy, and served until the twentieth of July, 1865.  July 10, 1885, he was married to Miss Mary Tarlton, and has two sons, Josephus A., aged eleven years, and Jehu, aged nine years.  His first wife, died and he married Miss Cynthia Garmon, June 10, 1896.  She was born June 5, 1859.  Mr. Arnold has a tasteful and pleasant home in Locust Grove.  He takes great pride in the fact that he was a soldier of the Civil War; also, that his father was in the War of 1812; but most of all that his grandfather, William Pemberton, was in the War of the Revolution.  The latter was born in 1750, in Culpeper County, Virginia, on Stanton River.  He served in the Revolutionary War in Captain Thomas Merewether's Company, First Virginia State Regiment, Colonel George Gibson.  He enlisted in Sept. 1777, for three yeras, and was at the siege of Yorktown, where he had part of an ear shot away by a shell.  He was a successful hunter and farmer.  He married Rhoda Luck, born October 24, 1755, and had a family of nine children, five sons and four daughters.  His sons were William, Nathaniel, Fountain, James and Ezekiel.  His  daughters were Anna, married Thomas Murfin; Joyce, married Isaac East; and Kate, born Jan. 10, 1795, married Josephus Arnold.
     William Pemberton
came to Kentucky just at the time of the Indian massacre at Crab Orchard, and reached Boonesboro the next day after that event.  Kate Pemberton was then a small girl, but remembered seeing the bodies of the victims of the massacre.  Her father remained at Boonesboro nearly two years.  In that time he was lost in the forest for several days.  He shot and wounded a buffalo and it rushed at him.  His dog seized it by the nose and saved Pemberton's life, but the dog lost his.  Pemberton killed the buffalo and subsisted on its meat for several days.  His friends had given him up as killed or captured by Indians.  He returned to Virginia, but soon came back to Ohio and settled in Adams County, near Locust Grove, in 1808.  He died, about 1823, of rheumatism.  He is interred on the farm where Miss Indiana Arnold now resides.  The spot is known, and will soon have a suitable mark.  His wife died January 1, 1845, at the age of ninety, and is buried beside her husband.  A prominent characteristic of Mr. Arnold is his industry and frugality.  He made his start in life by traveling and selling clocks.  He is the owner of about eight hundred acres of land, and has acquired a competence.  He is noted for his integrity, and for living up to any obligations which he may assume.  He is a free thinker of the Robert Ingersoll School.  He is a Republican and a good citizen.|
(Source 1: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers – West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 679)

NOTES:

CLICK HERE to Return to
ADAMS COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

This Webpage has been created exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights